Getting Out Alive | Teen Ink

Getting Out Alive

May 25, 2012
By Khristopher23, Portland, Oregon
More by this author
Khristopher23, Portland, Oregon
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Author's note: My best friend Jack who wanted me to write a story with him in it. No, he is not as cool as the Jack in the story but close.

Getting Out Alive
Chapter 1

“Happy birthday, kid,” Dad ruffled my hair as he handed me a poorly wrapped present. Dad was never very good with his hand unless you count throwing a sledge hammers in a wall at work then he was your man.
“Thanks dad,” I pulled the red birthday paper away, revealing a book. The cover read “A World of Demons,” another item to add to my demon fantasy collection. I loved demons; I loved how some had powers. “Wow this is so cool,” there where three to four page descriptions of demons all over the world.
But I wasn’t given much time to admire my new book before he spoke, “Wow, fifteen,” he looked up with tears in his eyes and a smile hidden behind his red Irish beard. “Your mom would be so proud.
He’d said that same line for the past four years except each year the number went up by one.

It was hard on us after mom died in the fire, it happened in the middle of the night; I barely had time to get out myself. He blames himself for her death and still hates the sight of even a small flame. Part of the reason I agreed to quit smoking after we moved, the sight of the lighter made him crazier than the nicotine swimming in my blood. But I still miss it, I quit after we moved a couple of months ago from Florida. Haven isn’t exactly the place someone who loved the Florida weather would want to live.

I hated living in Main but on the first day of school, I decided there was no setting out of it, so I dragged myself out of bed. The air was cool; I could even see my breath, looking forward to the pot of coffee waiting for me in the kitchen.

“Good morning, David. You know you’ll never grow drinking that,” Dad welcomed me as I reached for a mug. As always he was already in his boots and Dickies ready for work at six A.M.

“Not if you drink it all before I get up,” I looked grumpily at the half pot of coffee.

He just shook his head and started to walk out of the room before stopping and grapping my face in a large, callused hand, examining it. “Um, dad? What are you doing?” He just gave me a “not bad” expression.

“Your beard is almost as big as mine. You’re becoming a man, son.”

I laughed as I pulled away and replied, “Thank you, sir.” He smiled and walked out to he’s old beat up truck, stopping at the door to say, “Have fun on your first day of high school.”

High school. It was here at last as I began my walk at seven thirty. The streets of Haven where dark and cold with leaves scattered everywhere. I would have done anything not to live in Main where it was cold as hell. I wished I could have been back in Florid with my friends waiting in the tool shed behind the gym. They’d all have fresh packs of stokes, sharing stories of their summer break. Ben would have slept with at least three girls; Mirak would have taken a trip home to Ireland explaining how the postcards got “lost” in the mail. And Ashley would be looking gorgeous as ever with short, slightly curly hair tickling her shoulders and bold brown eyes hiding behind yellow sunglasses, smiling with those devious lips as she gently blow the smoke into the air around her.

The school approached my view, hundreds of students crammed into the single story building. A group of muscle addict guys drank sports drinks with arms hung around girls like assories. The dark haired, black finger-nailed cuddled with themselves. Just like what my middle school pretended to be.
There was one guy though, he was by himself but didn’t look like a freshman. His black hat was pulled low, hiding his eyes but I knew where they lay, on me. What struck me most odd was hid black t-shirt. But the cold didn’t seem to bother him.

He was strange but the bell rang so I trudged up the stairs to be greeted by an uncomfortably large crowd full of scared, uninformed and confused freshmen. Slowly, we made our way into an auditorium where we were given a two hour long speech on drugs, alcohol, good grades and guns. Just as my mind reached the end of sanity we were shuffled class to class. At the end of the day I had chemistry with Mr. Greshem.

I walked into the room where a deep, gruff voice spoke from just too far left of my vision, “Who are you?” I turned to find a short man with a sloppy tie, shaggy black hair with a great abundance of gray, with a stubble that looked like it hadn’t seen a razor in a few days and overall extreme lack of personal hygiene. I made a personal note to keep a distance. He also had a silver chain around his neck with a small gold ring. “Well? C’mon kid, we don’t have all day. Are you special? No one told me a special kid was going to be in my class,” he looked displeased at me.

“Uh, no sir. It’s David.”

“Back row on the left,” as the bell rang he began his version of an inspirational speech just as the other teachers had done. “Okay, sit down, be quiet, blah, blah, blah,” he half-heartedly demanded. “I’ve got two rules,” he held up two fingers, “shut up unless you have something of interest to say and don’t be dumb with the equipment. Too many cuts and burns and blown limbs last year.” He put his elbows on his desk and gestured to towards a desk in the front, “There’s a stack of forms on the desk up front, get them after class, you’re all capable of reading them yourselves. Get ‘em signed and returned by tomorrow, blah, blah.”

He began a more formal seating arrangement; I was next to Jack at the lab tables. When he finished there was an empty stool next to me so I figured he was one of the sane people who skipped the first day of school. Outside dark clouds began to roll in, specks of rain hit the window.

But about twenty minutes into class we were learning how to use the equipment when I saw that black hat from this morning. He came in carrying a text book in one hand and a not in the other which he handed to Greshem. He was average height with black hair poking out from under his hat. His dark shirt matched his dark blue jeans and Converse.

He exchanged a few words with Greshem until he pointed the guy into my direction. I put my head down, adjusting the tubes in the rack.

“Name, was all he said as he sat on the stool next to me.

“Are you Jack?”

“Name,” he demanded more forcefully.

“Uh, David. Nice to meet you,” I poked a hand in his direction but he ignored it.

“Estupido jovenzuelo,” he mumbled as he lit a Bunsen burner on the first try which took me several attempts with success.

“I take it you’re not freshmen eh? I can speak Spanish too and I’m sure I’m not that much younger than you.”

“I was never your age, David,” that’s when I noticed the scar. It stretched four inches out and was puffy, meaning it was probably infected before it healed. It arced slightly on the inside of his forearm.

He lowered his arm down to his side hiding the gruesome mark of an untold time. Before I could ask how it came to be he spoke, “This year you will wear a pink polo, loose someone important and slay a beast.”

The bell rang leaving me with a sense of confusion. He grabbed his text book and walked away leaving me with an interesting first day of high school. As I gathered my supplies I noticed Greshem take a long drink form a flask.

“He wasn’t always like that,” I turned to find a girl standing behind me. “I think it was two years ago he got a divorce. Really loved the girl too. Since then he’s been a wreck. Drinks a lot, he even wears his wedding ring around his neck still.”
“Hey!” Greshem called from the front of the room. “Get the hell out! Go home for Christ sakes schools out!”

“Sorry, I gotta go.” She quickly hurried out of the room. I left shortly after.

As I got home, Dad pulled into the driveway.

“Hey Dave! How was school? Make any friends?

I thought back to Jack and his weird prophecy about pink polo’s and beast slaying. “I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?” he looked confused as he climbed out of the truck.

“Nothing. What’s for dinner?”

“I was thinking we could order a pizza, celebrate your first day. What do you think?”

Scoffing at his question I remarked, “I think that’d be okay.”

Three weeks into the new school year the newspaper club published their first paper. The Haven High School paper wasn’t much a couple articles on the fall sports team, some reports on the school clubs, an entire page dedicated to poor comics. On the back page was a picture of a middle aged woman with the title “Welcome New Drama Teacher!” printed above it. There was an interview between a student and the new Mrs. Swanson.

She announced the drama department was doing a play, Shakesphere’s Hamlet and auditions would start next week. Next Friday I showed up at 3:30 to audition for the roll of the king, Claudius, an important role but not the star. I had some acting experience in middle school and figured it wouldn’t be too hard.

Mrs. Swanson wanted to test my dialogue performance by having me perform the beginning of Act 2 sc. 2. With my best king voice which sounded like a horrible French accent I began, “Weeeelcome! Dear Rosencrantz and Guldenstern! Moreover that we much long ago did to see you!” after each line I forced my voice up to sound like a dramatic king. “The need we have to use you-“

“Stop! Stop!” Swanson interrupted. “You sound like a French maid being strangled while she struggles to sing! Get off the stage; you’re not getting the part. Out.”

“Um, okay,” I sauntered off the stage with my head hung low.

As I began my walk home I heard a familiar voice call my name. “David!” I turn to find Jack jogging toward me. He was wearing the usual black t-shirt and hat. He also had got a messenger bag around his shoulder. When he reaches me he pulls the bag off his shoulder and starts digging until he finds what he’s looking for. “Where I come from, I worked a lot, but I always made time for this.” He tosses me a black shirt. On the back in big white block letters it read “STAGE HAND.” If you’re interested we start next week building props.”

“Thanks, yeah I’ll be there.”

“Good, I could use your help. It’s from four thirty to six so expect to be home late,” I guess if I couldn’t be in the play I could just work backstage.

A car honked a few yards away, interrupting my thoughts, “Hey, kid.” Mr. Greshem yelled from a rusty pickup truck that sounded like a dying seal. “Want a ride?” I knew getting in a car with a known alcoholic wouldn’t be the greatest idea, but I looked up at the sky sand saw the clouds turn dark threatening to drench me on the walk home.

“Yeah, sure.” I got into the poor tortured seal, making sure the seat belt was secured.

“Cindy’s right y’know?”

“Who?”

“Mrs. Swanson. You sounded like a b**** getting strangled.”

“Gee thanks, Mr. Greshem. How’d you know that anyway?”

“My wife used to love the theater, after the divorce I started sneaking in to watch the kids rehearse.”

“Oh, well I’m just going to work backstage as a stage hand see.” I held up my shirt with STAGE HAND written across the back.

“Yeah, Jack’s doing that too. You boy’s friends?”

“Oh no, he’s just my partner. He’s kind of strange.” He fiddled with the radio, an unfamiliar song buzzed through static.

“Yeah, hell of a kid though. Did you know he can speak seven languages?”

“No, I didn’t. That’s impressive.”

“Yeah, I think his native language is Russian. That’s where he’s from, just moved here over the summer.”

“Really?” I didn’t know why but I suddenly felt very suspicious of him and wanted to know more about Jack.

“S***!” Greshem began to swerve just missing a small child running out into the road. My head slammed against the window.

“Jimmy!” a woman’s shriek nearly busted my ears as I rubbed my temple.

“S***, here hide this.” He tossed his open flask at my chest. Booze stained the red cotton. “I don’t want her knowing I’m drunk.” He rushed to go meet the woman. I spit on the STAGE HAND t-shirt and began rubbing the booze stain. After many apologies for both parties he got back in his seat. He fished around and pulled a duffle bag from behind the seat. From inside he pulled a polo. I gave up scrubbing the stain. “Here it’s my son’s but I don’t think he’ll mind. Hope you like pink.”

I accepted the pink polo, switching it out for the booze stained shirt. “Thanks, I live just a couple blocks from here on Oakland Street.”

“I noticed your grade is dropping a bit,” he said as he restarted the truck. “If you need help I’m free after school. Most students don’t really like me much so I’m free if you need a tutor.”

“Oh yeah. That’d by great. Jack isn’t really up for studying outside of class.”

“Well we’ve got a test Friday, come in Monday and I’ll make sure you’re prepared.” He took the flask back taking a drink then stuffed it in the glove compartment.

“Okay, I’ll be there,” I said as we pulled into the driveway, “Thanks for the ride Mr. Greshem.”

“Yeah, hey don’t forget your shirt,” he handed the shirt Jack gave me. “Do me a favor, give Jack a chance eh?”

Before I could think of an appropriate answer he pulled out of the driveway, driving away in a cloud of his pollution.

I saw dad paying for another pizza as I came up the front porch. The pizza guy thanked him for the tip and turned to leave. I first noticed the scar on his arm, “Nice shirt,” he smirked under his hat. I thought back to the first day of school.

“This year you will wear a pink polo, slay a beast and loose someone important.”

“Not really my style.”


On Monday morning I arrived late to school, Dad’s truck was having problems and needed an extra hand to fix it. Someone dumped nails in the road which popped all four tires resulting in a very angry Irish man.

He dropped me off in front of the school with a note to give to Ms. Gomez, my old Spanish teacher that looked down on us and constantly cursed the white people and expected the few brown students to exceed in here class. Needless to say she was racist. I grabbed my Spanish book from my locker taking a good look at the picture of my friends back in Florida, Mirak was flipping the bird at the camera, Ashley was posing with her cigarette and Ben was kissing a blonde girl in a cheerleader uniform on the cheek. I smiled at the memory of the warm Florida sun, hanging out in the toolshed, talking about how we were going to take over the world someday.

I sighed as I slowly closed my locker until heard the click. I was more than a little surprised when I turned to find her leaning against a locker just three away from mine. She had the same devious grin I’d always remember, her brown hair curled down to her shoulders, the left side hid a cigarette behind her ear, a Camel wide, my favorite.

She pushed her yellow sun glasses up on her head revealing deep coffee brown eyes, “Ashley?” I whispered.

“Hey David,” she sang. The sweet voice I missed swung like a swing in mid-spring in my ears. “Miss me?”

“Oh my god! Yes!” she hugged me tightly as I asked, “What are you doing here?”
“I talked my mom into letting me come up. Let me tell you, it was not easy.” She searched the ceiling; a smoke detector check, and then pulled the cigarette from behind her ear.

“I shouldn’t, I quit for dad.”

“Still doesn’t like fire huh? C’mon just one, you know you miss it,” she smiled that same devious smile again.

“Okay, just one,” she handed the cigarette and a lighter from her pocket. The cling of the zippo was music to my ears, the faint sizzle as the flame hit the paper wrapped around the tobacco. “I shouldn’t be doing this,” but I took a deep breath, sucking the nicotine into my body, feeling the high go straight to my head from so many months without. I blew the smoke out in a long stream.

“Put it out, David,” a voice warned from down the hall.

“I turned to find the person I least expected, “Jack?”

“Who’s this?” Ashley questioned, “Make a new friend, David?”

“David, get away from her now.” He demanded.

“Dude, it’s cool this is my friend Ashley, from Florida,” Ashley smiled and gave him a little wave.

“Hi Jack.”

Slowly he approached us, “Mamu, or is it Gugar now. Leave this one alone.”



“A Hunter eh?” now I was confused.

“Do you know him? What the hell is a Mamu?” I demanded.

“How’d you find me Hunter?”

Jack let out a whistle and a furry snout trotted out from behind the corner. The owner of the snout stopped at he is side and let out a low growl, its brown eyes resting on Ashley.

“Hey! Keep your dog under control!” I stepped in front of Ashley ready to guard her.

“Ah, your mutt, I remember him. Jefferson right?” she began to sway around me as she walked toward him. I don’t know what they were talking about but Jack was not stealing the girl I’ve been in love with since the day on met her on the first day of sixth grade. I took a deep drag and tossed the cigarette.

“What the hell is going on? I demanded again.

Jack shoved me away from him with one arm knocking me into a locker nearly shattering my skull.

“I guess this is where things get interesting,” she whimpered. In just a couple minutes she had gone from the sweet girl I knew from school to a seductive teenager who knew my chemistry partner. “Excellent,” she growled.

“Jeff, attack,” with one simple word from Jack the giant Saint Bernard lunged at Ashley. But instead of falling under the weight of the dog she swung a closed fist out striking the dog in the snout. A soft yelp erupted from the canine. She turned her head revealing a twisted smile with dark red fangs. This was not Ashley anymore.

“David! Run!” I rubbed the back of my head trying to block out the pain from him pushing me into the locker.

I couldn’t run though, I was frozen in terror at the sight of those fangs. He stretched his arms out, snapped his fingers creating a small flame in each hand that grew. He began to throw the balls of fire like baseballs at the girl who had changed into a flesh eating monster.

I thought back to dad’s birthday present, A World of Demons. Suddenly I knew what Jack was talking about, The Mamu also called Gugar. They were adept shape-shifters that, in their natural from, could be described as very tall, with pointed heads and bloody fanged teeth. Dogs can sense them and will bark if they sense them. They fear fire, in legends children were told not to leave the circle of fire for obvious reasons.

The monster let out a screech as one of his flames hit it square in the chest. It gave another shriek. Jack held up his hand ready to throw another but it ran away, “Jefferson, stay,” the dog had picked himself up whimpering at his masters command.

“What the hell?” I choked out.

He sighed, “That was the Ma-“

“Yeah, I know what that was but they’re not real.”

“Yes, it was. That was a demon, David. I’m a demon hunter. Before one is named Hunter they are given a gift. Mine was ability to see into the future and fire. It’s rare to be given two gifts but personally I don’t consider the mind splitting migraines a gift,” he snarled. “Here,” he handed me a scorched text book. “Go to class, I’ll explain more after school in the auditorium.”

I tried to argue but it was pointless, so I did what he said. Ms. Gomez gave me a glare when I arrived. I tried to pretend it was all a haucintation, I was simply going through depression due to lack of friends and was seeing things now but the image of Ashley turning into that demon and the fire in jack’s hand was all too much. He scared me, to be honest, after much time not paying attention to Gomez talk about body parts I cam to a decision. Jack was not to be trusted, but I was still curious.

“Hey David,” Mr. Greshem grunted as he dropped his flask in the bottom drawer of his desk.

“I’m here to study, for the test,” I sighed.

“You okay, kid?”

“Yeah, just had a weird day,” I rubbed my eyes suddenly very tired of trying to keep up with all my thoughts.

“Ah, I know those,” but he had no idea. At least not like mine. He pushed away from his desk, his desk chair spun towards the table in the front.

I pulled my textbook from my old beat up backpack. With a soft thump it hit the table. When I opened the cover he stopped me, “Hey, let me see that,” he looked at the inside cover to all the names, “You have Kristine Patons book.”

“Old student of yours?”

“Yea, I had her six years ago. There was a terrible accident though,” he rubbed his grayish beard.

“What happened?”

“There was a lab accident, her and here partner where killed. Sometimes at night, when I work late, I can hear her.” He whispered.

“Really?” I mused. “What does she say?”

“Oh, she doesn’t say anything. She hums. It’s oddly comforting.”

“I don’t think she hums, Mr. Greshem. I think you just drink.” I smiled to show I meant no disrespect.

He snapped his head back in his chair and let out a bellowing laugh. Between tears he said, “You’re probably right, David.”

I flipped to chapter two on solubility and concentration. “I swear I’m a cursed soul,” he said smiling, shaking his head. He ran his hand through his shaggy hair. “Look at me I’m a looser.”

“I don’t think you’re a looser. I think you went through and hard thing and you’re still struggling. You drink in hopes to feel better,” I needed to shut up before he got really upset.

But he closed his eyes and smiled, thinking of a happier time in his life. “Yeah, you’re right,” he said opening his eyes.

“I know you’re sad, believe me I’ve had my share of loses. But you’re a great man, Mr. Greshem.

“Maybe,” he flipped through the book. “Oh s***,” he closed my book. “I just remembered. Jack wanted to see you after school.”

“Jack?”

“Yeah, he said he needs to talk to you and it’s urgent. We’ll have to study tomorrow. He’s in the auditorium.


“Yeah okay,” I mumbled. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

My locker had a black scorched mark across the bottom. I ran my fingers across it turned my fingertips black. Quickly spinning the lock and pulling out my STAGE HAND shirt I slammed the door shut making my way to the auditorium.

“Put the shirt on, it’ll make the janitors leave us alone,” Jack commanded as I walked in, handing me a paint bucket with a brush sticking out.

“You canceled my session with Greshem to paint a set?” I asked angrily.

“No, to be honest I was trying to act normal for you. Finding out about demons can’t be easy.” He admitted.

“Look, I don’t know what that was but I want nothing to do with it,” I lied. It scared me, yes, but it also fascinated me. Demons where actually real and I was a little jealous that he got to not only know about them but also slay them.

“Then I’ll kill you.”

“What?”

“Well I can’t have civilians knowing about them. You can see how that might be a problem,” but he made no act of aggression to hurt me.

“Look, you’re a freak, okay?” jealousy ripped through as though it where a demon itself. I was really hoping to get this over with quickly, unsure how long I could keep lying.

“Please, David,” he begged. “One of the rules I have to follow is destroying any evidence of a demon to avoid suspicion; I can’t have you just going around with that kind of knowledge. They’ll kill me, you, and your family.”

“Is that a threat?” I demanded.

“No, it’s a warning.” He whispered as he lowered his head.



Three days later they tested fire alarms during school hours, there should be a law or something against this. The teachers gave up their lessons due to an ear breaking buzzing every five minutes. I stopped speaking to Jack out of fear but often had to fight the urge to have him tell me all about real demons. I threw the STAGE HAND t- shirt in the bottom of my locker until I decided what to do with it.

As seventh period started Mr. Greshem was beyond drunk and had had enough with the alarms. He slumped low in his chair and stared at the picture on his desk. “Damn kids. I hate ‘em all,” he mumbled.

“Mr. Greshem? A student asked. “You okay?”

Another bell rang which pushed Greshem off the ledge. “You bastards!” he started yelling. “you naive little bastards! Think you know everything there is to know!”

“Uh, no sir. That’s why we’re here, to learn,” another student retorted.

Greshem let out a snicker, “To learn? To learn, to learn, to learn. To learn!” he grabbed the closest empty chair and chucked it toward the chalkboard. The chair ricocheted of the board with a clang; as the next alarm buzzed it hit the floor, leaving a large crack in the board. The room fell silent as Greshem seethed through his teeth. He slammed back down in his chair, hiding his face in his hands, “S***,” he mumbled.

A couple minutes’ later two hall monitors came in asking everyone to go to the cafeteria. My tutor had just gotten fired. They allowed me to stay behind and help pack his desk up. “I’ll miss you Mr. Greshem,” I said, hopelessly trying to make him feel better. I handed him a photo of a woman, probably his ex-wife to him.

“It was only a matter of time-“suddenly a loud explosion came from the classroom across the hall. The force of the blast pushed us across the room. My head struck a fire extinguisher with an excruciating pain my vision blurred, and then my world went black.

“David! David! David wake up,” the stench of sweat and liquor filled me. My head hurt like hell, sweat poured down from my temple as the heat radiated from all around me.

Slowly my eyes fluttered open to see Greshem standing over me with a red halo around him. Confused I lifted my head to see the room engulfed in flames. He helped me to my feet sending a thunderous pounding to my head from the fire extinguisher. I tried to reach for it but he said it was no use; the fire was out of control. “C’mon kid, we gotta get out of her,” he looked around as I got to my feet. “Jesus Christ,” he mumbled.

Everywhere I looked hot flames burned destroying everything in their path, it seemed I’d only been out a moment. No seemed to be around, hopefully they’d all gotten out. The smoke choked us and scorched my lungs. I thought how I’d never smoke another cigarette again after this. Greshem shoved me out the door and we began to run through the halls, dodging flames that tried to stop us. From the ceiling fell chunks of cement and plaster, blocking our direct path to the door. The fire was getting the best of the school, from the looks of the flames it wasn’t going to hold up much longer.


Then, a bark came from behind us. Greshem looks at me with knitted eyebrows. The bark bellowed again from behind us, “C’mon now, we don’t have all day do we?” Jack said standing next to his giant demon eating Saint Bernard. We pushed through; I noticed long cracks on the ceilings, threatening to cave us in.

The flames found gas tanks in the chemistry because from behind us another explosion, bigger than the first erupted from the chemistry room. I clutched my pounding head as I fell to the floor, the ringing killed my head forcing me to stay on the floor. Images flooded my head all at once, Ashley’s laugh in the toolshed, Dad’s facial hair observation, Mr. Greshem nearly hitting a small kid with his truck. There was no stopping the images or anyway to get out of there. We were going to die a slow painful death as the flames licked us. The smell of roses hit me, I saw my mother again on the porch of our old house, her warm smile made my dray cracked lips form a smile too.

My warm dreams suddenly turned disturbing as the image of her face burned away from flames. She screamed as I did but it wasn’t from the image, pain seared through me like no other, the flames had begun eating away at my shoulder. Jack jumped at me, his dog barked over the ringing in my ears, he slapped violently at the flames until all that was left was a bloody mess called shoulder. Relief and more pain filled me as the flames extinguished from him slapping.

“I know it hurts!” Greshem yelled. “But we need to move!” we started running again when we heard the bone chilling crack pushing our eyes straight to the ceiling. The explosion had created the crack to grow even more, readying to crumble in. The door was just yards away, but just yards was to far for one of us. Jacks dog was already there yelping, trying to get us there. The cement began to crumble in as we gave every bit of energy we had getting to the doors. Sun seeped through the window from the outside begging us to get out. Jack pushed the handle but was greeted by the devil himself.

The door was locked. We turned to see the last glimpse of Mr. Greshem, more scarred than he’d ever been in his life, as the ceiling caved in on him, crushing my chemistry teacher to death. I starred in horror as the blood seeped through the cracks around my Converse. “No! no!” my eyes watered from the smoke and blood. Jack grabbed my arm pulling me toward our last chance of getting out alive. “No!” I fought but Jack was much stronger than me. Finally I gave in and followed him to our last exit. His dog trotted in front of us like a guide to the last door. I fell to my knees when I discovered it was surrounded by flames too big to get through.

But Jack wasn’t giving up like me, “David, catch!” he opened a box labeled EMERGENCY ONLY. Inside was a hose that he began unraveling, I held the end and waited for him to spin the handle releasing a gush of high powered water, after several minutes he cut the water; the strong hose went limp until all that was left was just a couple drops of water. Together with pushed the still hot doors open to the outside.


I sat at home a week later thinking about the day in the auditorium with Jack, then the fire in his hands. “One of the rules I have to follow is destroying any evidence of a demon to avoid suspicion.”

Could he have burned the school? Was the school evidence? Was he responsible for Mr. Greshem’s death? I squeezed my eyes shut pushing out the image of Mr. Greshem’s death from my mind.

“Dad, I’m going out,” I got up and grabbed my jacket. I biked to what used to Haven High, all the news reporters and firemen had left. Leaving a blackened building. I dropped the bike and pushed into the school, the smell of soot hit me instantly as I stepped in. ash smoothed out from beneath my DC’s. It was still hard to imagine that this was the same hallway I walked every morning to locker than to Spanish.

A half burnt sign still hung from the wall reading AUDITORIUM with a small arrow beneath it. Following the arrows direction I went down another hall until I saw the double doors. Inside was the same as everywhere else. He was wearing his STAGE HAND t-shirt with his back to me, painting a scorched wall. As the door swung shut behind me he turned to face me.

With a dark glare I walked toward him with a raging anger. Why was I so angry? I didn’t have any solid evidence against him but I just knew he was responsible and I had to bring him to justice.

Casually he stepped from the stage the ash silencing the five foot drop. “You! You killed Mr. Greshem! The room was so burn it only made the faintest echo.

“Now, David, calm down I know how this looks.”

“You bastard! I don’t care who you work for, you don’t have the right to burn down a school.”

“What? What makes you think that?”

“That day in the hall with Ashley, and then in here, you said you had to destroy any evidence of a demon. So you chose to destroy an entire school.”

“No David, I did not do this,” he spread his arms out gesturing to the burtness surrounding us. “That day in Mr. Greshem’s room, I was there right next to you.” I thought back very carefully, I hadn’t once thought back to before the fire until then. But sure enough the image of Jack entering the room and sitting next to me came back just before Greshem snapped.

“If it wasn’t you, who started it?”

“I don’t know, we may never know,” he looked around sadly at the destroyed auditorium.

After a long silence I spoke, “So, a demon hunter? Interesting.”

“Yes, it’s very interesting sometimes, sometimes not.”

“I can see that.”

He picked up his brush and from one of the charcoaled chairs he pulled a black t shirt with STAGE HAND printed across the back. “I retrieved this from your locker, thought you might need it.”

“Thanks,” I pulled the shirt on for the first time then asked, “What was the beast?”

“The what?”

“’This year you will wear a pink polo, loose someone important and slay a beast,’”

“Ah, the fire you put out at the door before we got out. How’s your shoulder doing?”

“Itches, but it doesn’t hurt anymore.”

“That’s good.” We stepped onto the stage and he handed me a brush. Together we painted the burnt remains of Haven High.









“What do you mean they survived the fire!?” the Mamu stared down on the tommy knocker who shivered in fear in his minning uniform. Outside the shabby hotel, sirens wailed, dogs barked, even a mugging was occurring in the back alley. The room stank from the aroma coming from the demons recent dinner, a boy from a nearby park.

“I’m s-s-sorry master, it won’t happen again,” she picked up the small, brown wrinkled demon. He was the size of a toddler, but weighed more than any sumo wrestler in the world. With one hand she held him by the throat, forcing him to look into her deep brown eyes.

“I may not be able to kill you, but I can make your life a living hell,” she snarled. “I want that boy dead! Do you understand?”

The tommy knocker shook his head vigorously, “Yes, master. Whatever you say master.”

“Good,” she dropped the small demon. “I’m hungry again darling, bring me something.” Her red fangs dripped with saliva as the little demon ran from the hotel room. “So David,” she said looking out of the window, “going to play hard to get? Two can play that game.” She smiled an evil grin while she watched the small demon drag a small, helpless child into the alley.

Chapter 2
Welcome New Hunter of Haven

Jack spit another sunflower seed onto the roof of Dad’s truck, followed by a chunk of moss. We sat on the roof while the sun shined, a rare thing in Haven, spitting seeds while Dad made dinner; my book on demons sat between.

“What about Tommy knockers? Are the real?” I asked as he popped two more seeds, thinking thoughtfully.

“Oh yeah, they’re real,” he spit a seed out, “tough little things too. But we mostly just leave them be, not because they’re tough but because they don’t really mess with humans.”

“You mean they’re good?” I asked.

“I didn’t say that. When humans mess with them then they’re not so nice. But if you don’t mess with them they won’t mess with you. Occasionally some new Hunter will pick a fight, that’s when I get to fight them too, to pull them out.”

Dad came out of the house carrying a bag of garbage, “Hey! Stop spittin’ those damn things on my truck!” he stuffed the bag into the can. Jack spit another seed onto the truck.

“Sorry, Dad, we’ll clean them up.”

“You better. C’mon dinner will be ready in a few,” he said as he went back into the house.

I followed Jack down the ladder, ignoring the seeds. Since the fire that destroyed the school completely, we’ve been on our own. But next week we start going to Elmrod High, about ten miles from Haven.

When he reached the ground he pulled his black hat off and ran his fingers through the flattened hair. We began to break down the ladder when he suddenly collapsed at my feet. “Jack? Dude, what’s wrong?” I knelt down next to him; he grabbed me by my shirt, pulling me towards him. His face was strained as though in great pain. “Talk to me man, what’s going on?” his brown eyes looked into mine when they began to change color, slowly they lightened into a deep blue, “Wow,” I whispered.

His muscles went limp; he released me from his grip and laid he head down onto the concrete driveway. He closed his eyes and rubbed his temple. “Oh, I never get used to that,” he said. Slowly he sat up; when he opened his eyes again they were brown.

“Get used to what? Your eyes… they changed color.” He pulled his hat back on.

“Yeah, I heard they do that. It’s my gift,” he picked a seed off his shoulder and flicked it onto the truck.

“Gift? I thought fire was your gift.” Before the school burned down my friend Ashley turned into a demon. He created fire by just snapping his fingers to scare her off.

“I’ve got two. Fire and visions, like the one I told you on the first day of school.”
“Oh yeah, pink polo’s.”

Dad opened the screen door, “You boys coming? Ribs are getting cold.”

“Yeah,” we followed him inside to dinner.

Later that night after the sun had gone away we were on the roof again looking at the stars. I feared he’d have another vision and go tumbling down the roof. But he stayed firmly in place.

“What was your vision?” I blurted.

“Huh? Oh I can’t say.”

“What? Why not?”

“Because you’re in it. That’s the number one rule about the gift. If I know who’s in the vision, I can’t tell them about it.”

“What about your prophecy? Beast slaying and polo’s?” I didn’t actually slay a beast I just put a fire out.

“That was different,” he pulled his backpack closer and began digging.

“How?”

“It just was.” He pulled two cigars out and handed one to me. “I know you quit but I thought it might be nice to have one. They’re the best.” I smelled the cigar, it was amazing.

“Ah, why not?” he snapped his fingers producing a small flame. At first the fire freaked me out but over time I got used to it. We lit out cigars and looked out at the stars.

As we puffed I asked him a question I’d been pondering for some time, “Do you ever have visions about yourself?”

He glanced over at me with the cigar hanging from his mouth then he looked back out, “No,” he said. “If I did I wouldn’t have scars like this,” he turned his arm slightly showing me the gruesomeness on his forearm.

“Her name was Madam White,” he began. “A beauty beyond no other. I loved her like I will never love another, I was young,” he suddenly sounded like my grandfather I kept my silence. “Just became a Hunter, she was fascinated by the fire in my hands.” He took a puff from the cigar, “She betrayed my though, like Ashley, like demons often do. I found her, eating the life out of my good friend. It was a brutal battle; she sliced me open with one of her talons. Just before I killed her, she morphed back into a beautiful woman. She said, ‘please, no. I love you.’ It took everything I had.” During his story his eyes remained on the sky, not once on me.

He puffed the cigar; the red flame glowed in the darkness. We remained quiet, kicking soggy moss off the roof until we became so tired that when I woke the sun was already up, covered by dark clouds. But it was still early, Jack laid a few feet away with his hat over his face, his chest heaving up and down. Something had woken me, a sound that it came again. Then I saw it; one by one they hooked themselves on the ledge. “Jack,” I whispered, shaking him. “Wake up.” I stared at the ledge in fear; claws clung desperately until the owner popped up. “Jack!”

It had horns that looked more like goat antlers, a big mouth full short but sharp teeth. Jack sprung to the sound of his name, seen the demon instantly. The demon crawled its way up snarling as it got to its feet. Jack remained calm snapping his fingers; the fire grew more and more to the size of a tennis ball. “Good morning, Tengu,” he grinned at the demon. “Where’s your wings?” he chuckled a bit as the demon screeched at him in annoyance. With large talons it lunged at him, he put a flame into its chest but it didn’t back down.

With a thump it pinned Jack to the roof. I looked desperately for a weapon to find only a Frisbee. But I grabbed it and tossed it at the demons head. It clunked off, drawing its attention to me. It snarled through short sharp fangs, not sure what to do next as it jumped off Jack, I did the most cowardly thing possible. I screamed.

Jack jumped onto its scaly back holding it away from me with a flame held into its neck. Suddenly an energizing burst of adrenaline kicked in, I swung a closed fist at the demon, its head snapped to the side. Again with even more force I struck it from under its jaw. It wailed as I sent my left foot to its head. The demon went flying to one side as Jack jumped off of it. With one more adrenaline filled punch straight to the jaw it fell to its back. I put my knee on its chest and leaned in to get a good grip on its neck the twisted until I heard a crack.

When I looked up, Jacks hands where no longer lit. He looked interested in what I’d just done. From nowhere he swung a punch at me, but I cupped his fist in my hand and twisted his wrist, forcing him to relax his muscles. I let go of his fist which he let fall to his side. “Interesting,” he mumbled. My adrenaline rush left me feeling exhausted. “Where’d you learn to do that?”

“Do what?” I sat down and kicked a chunk of moss off the roof. “I was just trying to help. The now dead demon smelled bad next to me.

“You don’t just naturally kill a demon, it takes years of training. Unless…”

Dad came out of the house the screen door slapping shut behind him, “Boys? You out here?”

“Yes, Mr. Blecher,” Jack made his way to the ladder.

“Wait,” I whispered. “What do we do with goat boy?” I stood brushing moss and dirt off my pants.

“The System will come get it,” he started down the ladder.

“The what?”

“Jack, you don’t have to call me that. It’s Keith,” Dad began collecting seeds from the truck.

“I can’t believe this,” he scoffed. “The Blazer. I found the Blazer,” he laughed under his breath.

“The Blazer?” Dad asked.

“Oh, nothing, Mr. Blecher.”

“Okay, try to stay out of trouble, I’m going to work,” he slapped the seeds in my hand then climbed into his truck.

“What’s the Blazer?” I blurted.

“When demons first started roaming the Earth there where only a few, a Blazer was born to contain them. Born with all the characteristics needed; but soon the demons where too much and young children where taken and turned into Hunters.”

“So, what happened to the Blazers?”

“Before, they where sought, but with the Hunters they weren’t needed anymore and forgotten. Most of them weren’t ever even discovered. I can’t believe I found you.”

“What are you saying?” then two men in a truck pulled up.

“We’ll talk of this later,” he whispered.

“Jack Howardson,” a man said as he stepped out of the truck.

“That’s me,” he stepped forward. “Fifth year Hunter, Bronze class.”

The man looked confused, his partner interested, “How old are you Howardson?” he asked.

“Sixteen sir.”

“Already Bronze class?”

“Yes sir.”

The man nodded, “We’re here for the demon, who’s he?” he pointed in my direction.

“That’s David Blecher, witness of two cases. The System will be coming next week to take him into custody.

“Very well, where’s the demon?”

“Up there,” he climbed up the ladder; I went to follow but Jack shook his head. The men followed, one covered it with a tarp while the other rolled it off the roof. With a thump it hit the cement. They took it away in their truck without any more words.

“Who where they?” I asked as the pulled out of the driveway.

“Part of The System, clean up crew, the most obnoxious.”

“Are they taking me?”

“No, that was a cover so they wouldn’t take you.”

“What would happen?” with my question he got very uncomfortable. His eyes shifted around, nervously.

“Not good things.”

Our break went by to quickly; Jack worked at the pizza place in town to pass the time while I spent the majority of my time between watching a ball clunk of the hoop and watching TV.

On the first day of school we stood outside Elmrod High staring up at the building while other students pushed in. Jacks dog sat next to him, drooling. The dog was capable of eating heads off demons but not containing his own drool.

“I have faced some of the worst demons imaginable, but nothing is worse than High School.” His bag slung over his shoulder with a black t-shirt and hat, as always. “I sympathize you normals,” he looked disgusted at the two-story building in front of him.

“Tell me about it,” I said making my way up the steps.

“Jefferson, home,” Jack commanded the ten ton Saint Bernard then followed me into the school.

I scanned the schedule as he spun the dial on our locker, “Let’s see we have English-“

“Ew,” he mumbled.

“English, chemistry again and gym together.” He lifted the handle on the locker and dropped a couple books inside.

Nearby, a short man who almost looked like Mr. Greshem yelled at a janitor about a dirty coffee pot in the teachers lounge. The janitor looked irritated but kept his patience with the short man. After a promise to clean the coffee pot from the janitor the man turned to leave. When he noticed me watching he marched over.

“Are you boys from Haven?” he scowled at us displeased.

“Yeah,” I said.

“Well, I’m Principal Boater,” he squinted at us both, “I’ll be watching you two, I don’t trust you.”

“Well it’s nice to meet you but we have to get to class,” Jack stepped by him casually.

I nodded and followed Jack. “Why are you here?” Jack commanded from the janitor.

“What? I take janitor wasn’t a good cover,” Jack glared. “Fine, I’m from The System, they’re having suspicions about your friend here and I’m supposed to keep an eye on the both of you.”

Jack clenched his fists glaring at the janitor, “I do not want The System climbing all over me, do you understand?”

“Look,” he raised his hands in defense, “I just do what I’m told.

Without saying anything else he turned to leave. He explained how The System was like a government, they where in charge of the Hunters. They where his superiors and if they got upset “great punishment was brought forth.” Some of the laws where disturbing, The System was often cruel. They tortured people for information and weren’t afraid to take a life when needed.

When we reached out English class his head snapped back and he collapsed. His face strained only a few people remained in the hall to see his struggle. I looked into his eyes to see the faintest blue cloud over the brown. He let out a cry as he clutched his head while he lay on the floor. He groaned for some time, people tried to help but I gestured them a way.

“They’re… they’re coming,” he strained, his face red. “They’ll kill us all,” he gasped as his head fell back. He breathed heavy and rubbed his eyes. I helped him to his feet as he rubbed his temple hard. He groaned in pain as he tried to take a step, resulting in him buckling down. He pulled me down with him but I got him to slump against the locker. He groaned again as he dug into his messenger bag. I helped him pull out a water bottle. After he took a long drink he said, “Jesus that was the worst thing ever. They’ve never hurt that much before.”

His eyes where still blue, “You said they where coming, who’s they?”

“Tommy knockers,” he gasped.

“How many?”

“About ten, maybe twenty,” he gulped the water down.

“I thought you said they don’t mess with people.”

“They don’t,” he finished the water. The bottle crinkled in his hand. “Something’s wrong.”

“Well, when are they coming? You can fight them.”

“Soon,” he slowly rose to his feet. “Look, you may not have had years of training but you’re a Hunter, David. I’m going to need your help. Got that?”

“Yeah, no problem,” but I didn’t. The thought of facing twenty demons at once scared me. But he couldn’t do this alone. I was going to have to kill a whole lot of demons.





































.

“I’m not wearing those,” Jack stood in the locker room at the beginning of seventh period.

“Jack, wear the shorts,” I held a pair of bright blue Elmrod Physical Education shorts at him.

“Not a chance in hell.”

“Look, I’m wearing them” I gestured at my legs.

“Yeah, and you look like an idiot.”

“Howardson!” Coach Ramsden shouted, “Is there a problem?”

He sighed, “No sir!” he grabbed the shorts from my hand. “You’ll pay for this in dodge ball.”

“Bring it,” something Jack didn’t know about me was I was a pro at dodge ball and with my new abilities discovered I was going to be unstoppable. I even had awards in my room from past dodge ball tournaments.

As we parted way, Jack on one side of the gym me on the other, I saw something watching me a window. But we had bigger concerns to deal with first. The game began as a slaughter fest, everyone ran to the middle of the gym to get a ball. But stayed behind as did Jack, I noticed. He smirked under his hat has he caught a ball from the air. I grinned back as a ball rolled to my feet.

It was like my body moved without me commanding it to. My arms reached for the foam balls while my legs jumped away from the ones coming at me. Speed ripped through me as I dodged, threw, ran it was easier than I remembered. With perfect aim I pegged my opponents out, so many opponents, only one target.

After twenty minutes I pegged another person out leaving just Jack and me. He stood in the middle of his territory with a ball in each hand. Coach Ramsden blew his whistle, everyone filled into the locker room but he and I.

“Look, if you two want to kill each other, go ahead. Just pick up the balls when you’re done,” he followed them into the locker room.

He had a wild grin on his face as he spun a ball in his hand, ready to throw. I lifted my arm to throw when something pounced on me.

“Aw, c’mon!” Jack groaned.

The attacker was small but weighed a ton. I struggled to keep it from biting into me with its fangs. Jacks ball began to smoke, and then erupted into flames, with perfect aim he hit the demon in the head. It jumped off me as the flames burned into its head.

I jumped to my feet and sent a foot to its head. We looked around to find more of the demons coming into the gym. Jack backed into me at the center of the gym, we stood back to back as the demons surrounded us.

“Tommy knockers,” Jack said from behind me. He snapped both of his hands creating flames in each. “They’re really strong and heavy but not very smart. Use that against them.”

“This’ll be fun,” I mumbled.

He threw three of his flames at the closest demon. It shrieked but then just patted the flames out on his mining uniform.

“Keep throwing!” I commanded. At the same demon I sent a fist into its face with great force and hauled it to the ground. He wasn’t joking when he said they where heavy. I clamped its arms while Jack sent punch after punch. “Behind you!”

Jack spun and sent a flame at another demon. While it worked at putting them out he continued to it the demon I held. Finally, when the demon had gone limp he leaned in to snap its neck. We continued doing this, holding one demon down, setting the others ablaze when they came to close. But there to many for us to handle, “Jack! We can’t keep doing this, there’s too many!”

He nodded, snapping another demons neck, “Get out!”

“What?!”

“Get out! I know what to do!”

Hesitantly, I ran out of the gym into the cool air. I waited nervously until after a few minutes I saw the door open, Jack came running out followed by a tommy knocker engulfed in flames. From behind him I saw the gym covered in flames. The demon ran frantically around, trying to extinguish the flames.

“Dude! You’re burning down the gym!”

He grinned under his hat, but he quickly dropped it, “Aw! My favorite jeans where in there!” the demon fell to the ground and rolled around.

“At least you’ve got your hat, and the ridiculous shorts,” he glared at me. The demon quit kicking as the flames burned the life out of him.



































.

The day had finally come, when I’d come face to face with the System to officially become a certified Hunter. I was filled with anticipation and nervously as woke early. Jack had explained how they’d send me through a series of tests on both physical and mental challenges sometimes even and emotional test as well. If I where to pass all the tests I’d be awarded a girt like Jacks visions and fire. He said I’d likely exceed physical and mental challenges but the last emotional test I would surely flunk. His exact words.

“Some of the best Hunters flunked the emotional test,” his attempt to give me confidence was unsuccessful.

Though I’d never been running in my life, I’d always relied on my fast metabolism, I ran amazingly far. After two miles I’d barely broken a sweat, my heartbeat remained steady and my breathing stayed normal. I decided to celebrate my new abilities with a Twinkie at a nearby quick mart.

When I got home Jack was waiting in the driveway shooting hoops. “That won’t do anything you know.” He chucked the ball at my chest.

“You know I hate sports.” The ball clunked off the rim. Even with my abilities I still couldn’t shoot a hoop to save my life. “Maybe I should participate in marathons, I’d make good money.”

“No,” he growled. “We cannot attract any attention.”

“Fine, when do we leave?”

“They’re sending a care in thirty minutes.”

Exactly thirty minutes later a sleek black car pulled into the driveway. A single guy sat behind the driver’s wheel, he didn’t saying anything as we got in, just nodded and grunted at Jack.

“Where are we going?” I whispered, avoiding suspicion from out driver.

“You don’t need to whisper,” said in a normal voice, “We can trust Paul. We’re going to a discrete location. Where no one would expect the System to be stationed.”

“The court house?” I said stepping out of the car.

Paul grunted, for the first time I got a good look at him. He was tall with long black hair, neatly combed to the side. He wore dark shades and a black suit, from which his arms bulged from.

After a long elevator ride we stepped out after a ding. Paul led the way to double polished wood doors, inside, behind a desk where two old men and an old woman, all wearing a scowl. As I walked into the room behind Paul the woman smiled.


“David Blecher?” she was the oldest woman I’d ever seen. She had ghastly whit skin with hair to match. Her eyes where black and her teeth appeared to be made of wood.

“Yes, that’s me,” my voice shook nervously.

“We have been informed of your abilities and experiences. You’ve been in contact with demons three times now is it?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“We expect respect but you do not need to address me as such. Besides ma’am is my mother.” She smiled a frightening smile again.

“As for you,” one of the men looked at Jack, “You lied about turning him in as a witness.”

“I did. He was in fact a witness before his abilities where discovered. But he is the Blazer,” he spoke in a calm, steady voice.

“But you still lied and did not turn him in. Lying will not be acceptable,” the old man pushed.

Paul grunted from behind us.

“Yes, I accept any consequences.”

“The consequences have changed Hunter since you last checked. Unless you give good reason to lift them you will have the name of Hunter taken from you.”

Jack looked confused but was quick to thought, “If David passes his tests he will need a mentor.”

The other old man spoke for the first time, “You’re a bit young aren’t you?”

“Oh no,” said the woman, “this Hunter has more experience than many retired Hunters.” She looked directly at Jack then me, “If you pass your tests, you will be given a gift and Jack will be your mentor.”

I nodded in agreement ready to start my testing. Paul combed his hair with his fingers then led us out of the room where he took me wasn’t what I’d expected for testing. The room had gray walls with nothing on them, it was about the size of a prison cell without a speck of dust to be seen.

“The tests aren’t real, they’ll all play out in your mind. But they’re still extremely dangerous. When you get in proceed with great caution,” Jack pushed me into the room with a final, “Good luck,” whispered, then slammed the door behind me.

The room was pitch black, was it the challenge of mentality? Was it to see how long I could stand in dark silence? After a while the room changed, like looking at a very distant light in a blur. My vision changed more, and entire surrounding blurred around me from the distant light. Slowly, it cleared and I was no longer in the dark room, instead I was in Haven High School, before it burned down. I stood in front of my locker with my hand on the dial. Silence was all around me, not sure what to do I spun the lock, the same combination I used for so long, “Twenty one, fifteen, nine,” I whispered.

The lock clicked as I lifted the handle between two fingers. Inside was a baseball bat, the same one I had when I played t-ball. But I lost it in the fire that killed mom. It was my favorite thing of all my possessions. There was a small chip on the widest part from when I hit that homerun; mom was ecstatic when I slid into home base that summer.

The wood felt smooth in my hand, it was smaller than I remember. When Dad gave it to me for Christmas it felt big and heavy. Now it felt light as I stepped back and gave a couple slow practice swings. There was nothing else in the locker so I closed it. The click echoed through the empty, silent halls.

“Seems kind of quiet for a test,” at my words a green scaly demon jumped from the corner. I had long black claws and two long fangs like a tiger. It hunched making a hump in its back, it also held a club with three long spikes on the end.

“What are you?” I didn’t recognize it from A World of Demons.

“Die!” it roared as it trudged toward me with its club raised. I dodged the club as he swung; ducking behind him then sent my own club into its back. It let out a roar of pain before it swung back around, “Fool! You think you can kill me? I am the troll who lives under your footbridge! I kill anyone I meet unless they give me good cause not to,” he laughed a deep rumbling growl, “which you have not.”

“Well it’s a good thing there aren’t any footbridges around, huh?” with all my strength I sent my bat to its face repeatedly. When it stopped moving I let out a sigh, falling to my knees. The bat clattered onto the floor next to me, green fluid oozed from the demon. My head fell to a locker, “Not hard, I expected more,” I said to what I thought where empty halls.

Then a shrill of laughter sent bumps up my neck, “Hey Fred! What part do you want?”

“I want the fingers!”

“Awww! I wanted the fingers!”

I turned to see three demons, all tall and skinny with short pointy teeth. Their fingers where long with small palms. “Rock, paper, scissors?” the one who sounded like Fred asked.

“No, you always win! No fair!”

Slowly I reached for my bat, three at once with no help would be a challenge but, like Jack said, it wasn’t real, so if I lost it wouldn’t be to big of a deal. One pounced at me; I sent my arm up to defend myself, buckling under the weight. It chomped down onto my arm with its sharp teeth and began thrashing at it. For it not being real it hurt like hell as blood seeped from the wound, staining my shirt.

The others laughed and cheered it on as I wrestled with it, “Get him, Frankie!”
I planted my fist into its ear, the force knocking him away. Frankie landed a few feet a way, he shook his head then said, “Hey Franklin, we’ve got a fighter!”
“Oh joy!” the other two said in unison.
I readied my bat, ready to swing at the next pouncer. I wondered if Dad thought I might use this bat one day to kill demons when he bought it.
Then, they ran; all three of them got up and ran down the hall away from me. “Catch me if you can!” then sang and laughed. I lowered the bat, sighed, and then took off after them.
“Damn things are fast,” I mumbled. I stopped, reached for a recycling bin lid and threw it like a Frisbee at one of their heads, with a clunk it bounced of one of there heads and then clattered to the floor. He fell over as I ran and hit it hard in the head with the bat. His head was extremely soft and splattered everywhere under the force of the bat.
“Franklin!” the others had stopped.
“That’s a home run,” I said as Frankie ran towards me, I swung the bat at its face, it too sprayed everywhere.
Just Frank and I remained, I grinned as he snarled; its eyes holding mine in a stare, “C’mon,” I whispered. It lunged with its long fingers up, snarling through its razor teeth; with a final swing I hit its head, brains splattering on what was Ms. Gomez’s door.
As I waited for the next demon I cleaned my bat in a water fountain. It was silent again except for the sound of the water flowing down the drain. “David?” a familiar voice sounded. Terror flooded me as the blood drained from both my arm and now my face.

My thumb froze on the fountain button, with a shaky voice I manage to say, “Ashley.”

She smiled with her devious lips, she was not the demon I had faced before, she was the girl I loved from Florida. The sight of those lips made me feel like I’d just woken up from a bad dream and there where no more demons. A dream where I’d been holding my breath and I could now breathe. “No,” I cried. “This isn’t real.” I looked painfully at her.

“What? Of course I’m real,” she smiled at me.

“No!” I yelled, standing up straight, tensing up. “Please, let me out!” I looked toward the ceiling pleading for them to stop the test. They couldn’t do this to me, not Ashley, I couldn’t kill her. “This isn’t real,” I began to pace, knowing how this would turn out. They where going to make me kill Ashley.

“What’s wrong?” she shook her head in confusion.

“This isn’t real, you’re a demon.” I rubbed the back of my neck, hoping they’d stop this test soon.

“Well, you’re right about one thing, but this is very real,” she grinned with those same dark red fangs that haunted my dreams.

“Ashley, please don’t,” but she lunged at me with fangs. With tears in my eyes I swung the bat, knocking her away from me. She squealed in pain but I didn’t give her time to react, I squeezed my eyes shut and began swinging wildly. With each swing I felt the bat strike her body, the impact vibrating through the wood into my hands.

I felt a hand on my shoulder; I turned to swing at whatever was trying to attack me now, “David! David! David, calm down!” my eyes fluttered open to see Jack but I was no longer in Haven High. Instead I was back in to small dark room, the door was open, leaking light in. My bat was gone but my arm still bled from where the demon bit into me.

“Come on, we’ll get you patched up,” Jack put his hand on the back on my neck as I gasped, desperate for air. I leaned against the wall with my face tucked into the crease of my elbow. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know they put that in there, David.”

“Did I pass?” I mumbled.

“Exceeded, even a Blazer takes years to master and control his abilities.

“Good.”

We followed Paul through the halls, a nurse wrapped my arm then we where back in front of the two old men and old woman. “David, we have watched you test and where quite impressed,” the woman said through papery lips.

I scratched at the bandage, “We’re proud to name you as Hunter. You will do a great amount of good in the world.”

“I’ve got a question first,” the woman nodded. “What are your guys names?”


She smiled, “I am Lady Charlotte, this is Sir Gin.” She gestured to the man who scowled on her left. “And this,” she gestured to her right, “is Sir Howard.”

I nodded, “When do I start?”

“Oh, you can’t start yet, you must be given a gift first from the Huldrefolk,” I remembered them faintly from A World of Demons. “Excuse me, I must summon them,” she stood from her chair. In a pasty white dress she glided away.

Moments later she returned and sat in her chair. “The Huldrefolk is ready to give you a gift.” I didn’t see anything but I felt fingertips push gently on my temple and a soft breath on my face.

“Heads up,” Jack said from behind me. “This is going to hurt a lot.” With his words an excruciating pain was sent through my body from my temple. I cried out as I fell to one knee, sweat poured down my back. If felt like someone was pulling my nerves out through my head one by one. After a solid ten minutes which felt like years the pain stopped abruptly.

“Congratulations, you are now an official Hunter,” Lady Charlotte smiled down at me.

“What’s…” I gasped. “What’s my gift?”

“There’s no way for us to know, you will find out very soon though,” then all three of them stood and left. Just Jack, Paul and me stood in the room alone.

“Hell of a day eh?” Jack knelt down next to me as he pat my back.

“Oh yeah,” I laughed through a sigh.

C’mon, lets get you home,” Paul grunted from behind us. Slowly with Jacks help, I stood. My head pounded in my ears as they rung.

“Water,” I mumbled. “I need water.”

“Probably dehydrated, no surprise after all this.” Jack informed.

“No, I’m not thirsty, I just need it.”

Jack grinned, “Hold out your hands,” I did as he told. “Close your eyes and think about water really hard.”

“Um, should I go to the bathroom to do this?” he looked displeased so I did as he told. I thought about going to the beach in Florida with Ben and Mirak for spring break when Ashley went to Mexico with her parents. Then the hoses that put out the fire that killed mom. The hose going limp in my hands in Haven High when Jack and I got stuck in the school with Mr. Greshem.


“David, open your eyes,” slowly I opened my eyes looking at my palms I was surprised at what I found. Hovering about four inches from my hand was a perfect sphere. It should have scared me or at the least freaked me out but it didn’t. I stared at the beautiful sphere of water that spun above my palm. It felt so natural, I loved the water more that anything. I never thought about it, usually avoided it for soda or energy drinks but it was different then.

Jack snapped his fingers, a small flame began to grow with another hand he cupped it. He began to warp it like clay creating a sphere about the size of mine, the two spheres hovering in our palms. “We’re supposed to be enemies,” he said.

“Huh?”

“I mean we must be, look.” Looking wasn’t a problem, I was mesmerized by what I’d created.

“Hm,” Jack dropped his hand the flame extinguishing. I dropped mine too but the water just fell to the floor. “We’ll work on that.”

Every moment we had after the trial we spent training. I was mastering my new power quickly. We sparred, he was a much better fighter than I was, practiced using our powers and he taught me about demons. Things were going great for almost a month until Jack had another vision.

He collapsed on the sidewalk on our walk home from the 7-Eleven. I dropped the bag and knelt down next to him to see his eyes fall into a blue. Gasping he said, “There’s so many… so many,” he groaned. “Everywhere. No!” he yelled. He shut his eyes and breathed deeply, waiting for the pain to subside.

“What was it? Jack?”

He sighed and opened his eyes, the blue gone, “There’s going to be a war.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on May. 31 2012 at 12:19 pm
Khristopher23, Portland, Oregon
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I'll be posting a second chapter if anyone is interested.

M3156 BRONZE said...
on May. 31 2012 at 11:41 am
M3156 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
1 article 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. -George F. Will

Very interesting story. I didn't see the deamons coming, but it was a nice surprise. Keep writing!