leather bound destiny | Teen Ink

leather bound destiny

By C.L.Erins BRONZE, Nunn, Colorado
C.L.Erins BRONZE, Nunn, Colorado
1 article 1 photo 31 comments

The past is like a pen. You can always cross it out, but you can never erase it. ( unless you have one of those special erasable pens and in that case... well you are lucky)

Author's note: this is some older wrighting that i did back in 2010. in my opiion its not that great so i'm not really sure if i should continue with it but if people like it then i might. :)

this is some older writing so i don't know whether i wanna continue with it or not, if people like it then i will :)

"You forgot your key again?!" I yelled at Luna. We were standing in the hall of the three story cinder block building that is the girl's dorm of Eastman high school. My twin sister(mentioned before is Luna) had forgotten her room key in the room again.
"Sorry," she said running her hand through her blue black hair," and don't yell at me, i don't see you whipping' out your key."
"Ha ha ha," I laughed sarcastically at her and shoved my hand into the front right pocket of my gray zip up hoodie.
"You forgot it didn't you?" Luna asked me with an amused twinkle in her pale blue eyes.
"No," I countered and put my hand in my other pocket,"okay maybe."
"Ha!" She laughed at me,"Well now what are we gonna do? I have to get changed for drama practice!"
"Will you relax,"I said to her,"I'll get us in."I reached up to the back of my high set pony tail and grabbed the bobby pin I always kept there.
"And how do you expect to-" she broke off when she saw me bend down to eye level with the door nob,"Oh no"
"To late," I said when I heard the click that signaled the door was unlocked.
I straightened up onto my feet and turned the nob. The door swung open easily.
"I really wish you would stop doing that," She said disapprovingly as she stepped over the threshold.
I just rolled my eyes and replaced the black bobby pin to it's normal position. I picked my red book bag off the floor where it had fallen against the wall.
"If I didn't," I began," do you know how many times we would get detention for not having keys?"
At Eastman High boarding school if you had to either get a new key or get a teacher to unlock your dorm, you get after school detention. All students that attend this school are required to live on campus for all four years except for weekends and holidays. oh, and students have to be in their dorms by 10pm from Sunday to Thursday.
"Okay good point," Luna admitted reluctantly."Alright I'm going to Drama practice. I'll be back at like eight, some of us are going out for dinner after words, what are you gonna do?"She asked pulling a long white tank top with purple flowers on it over her head.
"I'm gonna go to the gym and do some climbing," I said nonchalantly," And then I'm gonna go get something to eat with Mason and Shane." I said and flipped my gold-blond hair out of my blue green eyes.
"What?!" Luna gasped," you're going to go eat with Shane?"
"It's nothing,"I insisted.
you see Mason is our best friend. And Shane is the guy I've been crushing on sense me and Luna were 6 when we first met in 1st grade.
"Iris, this is epic!"
"Oh what ever and would one of these people from drama be Gabrial?"(Shane's cousin)
"Maybe," she admitted with a smile.
"well have fun sis," I said smiling and giving her a tight hug.
"you too Iris," she replied and headed to the door."oh yeah and no free climbing!" She added and closed the door behind her.
After she left i walked over to the walk in closet next to the bathroom door and walked in. I breathed in deeply in the familiar smells of the only home me and Luna have left. See we have been skipping around to different family members sense our mom died when we were 10, our dad walked out on us when we were 6. A glimpse of orange from the end of the cluttered room caught my eye. I walked back to the bright orange jump suit in the very back.
"ugh," I groaned fingering the spongy material."'so you learn a lesson' they said' to keep you from doing anything worse' it was self defense! if some guy pulled a knife on them and cut their sisters arm almost to the damn bone would they have just stud there and let him kill them? No! they would have fought back if they were smart!" I yelled at the orange fibers.
The memory flashed through my mind as i glared down at the jump suit from my 'criminal days' and ground my teeth together:

"Why did you do this?!" our aunt Maggie yelled in my face. we were sitting at the round wooden visitors table in Oregon Juvenile Detention Center."How could you do this?! and at the age of 13!" She continued to scream in my face.
I rolled my eyes with every question not taking them off the small figure standing behind her with blood shot blue eyes and black hair being ruffled by the air vent on the wall next to us. Her right forearm as wrapped in a white bandage to protect the stitches.
"Look at me Iris!" our aunt screamed in my face.
I finally shifted my gaze to the plum old women. I looked into her flushed red face with bored eyes.
"That's it!"She said straightening up."When you get out of here in a month I'm sending you to your aunt Claira in Main"
"Fine with me," I said without hesitation.
"Me two," Luna said from where she had been silent,"I'd rather be any where but a place where my sister is punished for helping her twin."
Luna walked with her head high to the side of the table i was on and grabbed my hand.

That was always the best part of the memory.
she stuck with you when you needed it most, a voice whispered in my head,she'll stick with you until the day she dies, be there for her in the same way she'll need you....
the voice trailed off.
"okay that enough self loathing,"I said to my self and hung the bright orange fabric back up." time to climb." I smiled at the thought.
I walked back to the other end of the closet and slipped the mesh bag off one of the forest green plastic hangers. Then i grabbed the pair of stretchy black shorts off the next one.
I practically skipped out of the clothes surrounding me. I tossed the mesh bag on my bed and slipped into the shorts that fit me like a glove.I snatched the black mesh off my white comforter and slung it over my shoulder and headed over to the gym. Eastman high is made up of 10 buildings.the north wing is the music and the art buildings, the west wing is the English and history buildings, the east wing is the math and science buildings and the south wing is the gym and the cafe. The boys dorm is in the northwest part of campus and the girls is in the northeast and in the middle of them all is the commons. Really all it is is a big marble fountain and a bunch of matching marble benches.
I jogged through the late afternoon fog to the other side of campus to the tallest brick building in town. I slipped in through the side door and into the dimly lit interior. The air in the building was cold and crisp as always to keep people from over heating when they were working out. I walked calmly over to the rock wall on the north side of the gym. I pulled open the elastic band that sealed the items in the mesh bag from the world. I pulled out the purple climbing shoes out from the bottom and untangled them from the harness. I kicked off my tennis-shoes and jumped into the leg slots of the climbing gear.
Before I could bend down to get my climbing shoes on two hand folded over my eyes.
"Hi Joey," I said smiling at nothing.
"How'd you know it was me?" he asked and removed his hands.
I turn toward him and looked up into sandy brown eyes.(Joey's our little broth he's a freshman... an insanely tall freshman.)
"I could have been Mason or you boyfriend what's his face uh....Shane." He added while shoved my feet into the tight fit shoes.
"He's not my boyfriend!" I said bending over to lace up my shoes.
"Oh whatever," He said shaking his head."What me to handle the ropes?" he asked changing the subject.
"Yeah sure," i walked over to the dusty misshapen rocks in the wall and fasten my harness to the rope hanging there.
"Kay all set!" Joey called over to me where he had the other end of the rope to his harness.
I put my right hand up on one of the rocks farther up and began to climb.

I pulled and pushed my way up the wall like a panther up a tree. I've always been good at climbing and it's always been really fun for me. I unclasped the rope from the front of my harness when i got about three forth of the way up.
"What are you doing!?" Joey yelled up at me.
"What does it look like?" I yelled back straightening out my left leg,"I'm climbing."
"you do know Luna's gonna kill you right?"He added
"Not if she doesn't find out," I shouted at him.
I was about two feet from the top when my foot slipped. I was falling almost two stories to the ground. All I could hear was the blood pounding in my ear and Joey screaming my name.
I'm dead, was the last thought in my mind when i hit. It wasn't the ground but it still knocked the air out of my lungs. When I could finally feel my body again I realized someone was holding me. My eyelids fluttered open and i was looking up into the deepest brown eyes imaginable.
"Well hi there," the voice behind the eyes said.
"Hi Shane," I said as cheerfully as i could manage.
"Iris!"Joey said coming up next to us," are you okay?" he asked breathlessly
"I'm fine," I replied sitting up in Shane's lap."thanks Shane." I said gratefully to the blond haired boy.
"No problem," he replied giving me his normal cocky grin that always made me blush.
"Eh-hem," Joey cleared his throat and gave Shane a hateful look before taking my hand and pulling away from Shane's arms."Come on lats get you back to your room."
"Joey,"I began," I'm fine." I said firmly.
"No your not! you just fell over two stories to the ground!" He yelled flinging his right hand out towards the rock wall.
"Joey-" I began again shaking my head at him but Shane cut me off.
"Why don't we just go get something to eat just in case," he jumped in before me and Joey got into one of regular fights."It was quite a fall, even for you, I"
"Fine," i sighed then looked back at Joey," better?" I asked more gently giving him a reassuring smile.
"yeah I guess," He said reluctantly.
I turned away and started to walk over to where i had left my climbing bag. But I didn't walk so fast that I didn't hear Joey's warning to Shane.
"If you so much as lay a hand on my sister," Joey hissed at him." I swear your life will me hell on earth. Got it?"
"Joey!" I shouted back at him with out turning around.
I glanced back in time to see Joey shove away from the Shane's arm he had been holding in a cobra like grip. Both pairs of brown eyes met in one stare for a split second before Joey walked away mad as ever. I cursed under my breath and went back to untying my climbing shoes.
When I was done stripping away my climbing gear I turned to Shane to see him eyeing me with worried eyes.
"I'm fine," I said not the slightest bit annoyed.
"You sure?"he asked"God knows I hate agreeing with your brother but it is a long drop."
"Positive just got the wind knocked out of me by your rock hard arm muscles," I said and walked pasted him on purposefully bumping into him.
" oh sure," He chuckled and walked swiftly up next to me.
This is ridiculous! I yelled at myself mentally. I'm shamelessly flirting with one of my best friends!!!and he's a human for god's sake!!!
Calm down twin,I heard the distant voice of Luna.
Twin telepathy,I began in our normal saying.
Is so not a myth,I heard her laugh in my head.Well at least not in our case
I smiled and Shane seemed to notice.
"What are you all smiley about, flower-girl," he asked me using the nickname only he knew as he opened the gym door for me.
"Nothing',"I said still smiling.
"Ah twin telepathy again?" He asked raising his eyebrow at me.
"Maybe," I said slightly nervous.
I probably should have mentioned this earlier but I got.... detracted. Me and Luna aren't human. Luna's a vampire and no I don't mean the stupid stereotypes from movies like Dracula. She doesn't burn up in the sun(even though it does bother her) and she doesn't have to be invited into someones house and she wares a cross pendent around her neck! She's different, she's more of a psychic vampire she feeds off peoples emotions. She also has the power of fire and that doesn't mean she can control fire it means that when she uses her mind-control powers on someone her eyes turn a golden red. I on the other hand am a fairy an earth fairy to be exact. And no I am not like Tinkerbell damn it! sorry bit its a really stupid stereotype! any way I do have powers but they're mostly for healing but I'm also an awesome telepath if i do say so my self. and yes i do have wigs and yes i can fly but they're retractable and i don't use them that often unless I'm out hunting. and yes unlike my vampire twin i need blood to survive.
"Iris?" Shane's voice snapped me out of my mental fog."Did you here me?"
"Sorry what?" I asked confused.
"Do you want to go to the cafe to get something to eat?"
"Yeah but first I want to check in on Luna's rehearsal."
Shane agreed to let me check in with Luna. He knows better than to try to keep me from my twin. We walked to the other end of campus silently. I could tell Shane was anxious about something but I couldn't tell what. I've always had a problem with reading Shane and Gabrial too.
"Shane are you okay?"I asked as we approached the auditorium."You seem weirdly quiet." I stopped walking.
"I'm fine it's just...." he trailed off," I wanted to ask you something..."
"What is it?" I asked him.
"Well I was wondering well you know winter formal is next Friday and well.." He trailed off again and ran his hand through his hair."I was wondering," he started again," do you think maybe.." He looked up to my eyes for the first time sense we left the gym."Your friend Zoe would go with me.
My heart plummeted to my feet.
I swallowed down the bile in my throat and looked him straight in the eye,"I don't know you should go ask her, she's in her dorm it's three down from ours of the other side of the hall." I spoke as nicely as I could as tears threatened their way into my eyes.
"Yeah I think I will after I get you fed," he looked relieved.
"No that's fine," I smiled sadly,"go now I'll just wait for Luna in the auditorium until rehearsal is over I'm fine." I shrugged and swallowed again against the lump in my throat.
"Thanks I,"He said and bent to and pressed him lips to my cheek," your the best." He smiled and ran off towards the girls dorm.
I watched him go as the tears found their way through and spilled onto my cheeks. I brushed them away with the back of my hand and pushed through the double doors into the dark theater.
I looked up at the stage where Luna was standing with a few of the other Drama kids. She must have sensed my presents because she turned her head and as son as her eyes came to me her wide smile disappeared.
What happened?!she asked telepathically.
We'll talk about it later,i answered, do you think you could skip out on your dinner with the gang tonight I need my sister.
yeah of course she said without hesitation.
Thanks, I smiled at her, Now get back to work drama queen
She smiled back at me and turned back to the three people standing in front of her.

"Well hi there fairy girl," a voice said from behind me.
I jumped and turned to see one of the many other magical creatures at the school standing behind me. When I realized who it was I automatically smiled.
"Hey Dragon Breath,"I said and pocked him in the stomach.
'Dragon Breath' as I call him is Jason. and if it isn't obvious by the nickname he is a dragon. and yes he can literally transform into a dragon. you can tell what kind of dragon they are by the color of their eyes. Jason is an ice dragon and he has silvery white eyes which are always a hit with the girls, even though he's a huge computer nerd.
"Now whats got my little fairy bell all upset?" he asked peering into my eyes.
I sighed and put my left index finger into his outstretched palm and showed him the whole scene from outside.
"That jack ass!" Jason yelled in a whisper," and he knows you like him, I'm gonna fry him into oblivion!"His eyes flashed gray and I knew he was getting into one of his protective moods.
I sighed and pulled away my finger. I looked back down at me and his eyes softened.
"Come here," he whispered and pulled me into his arms.
The tears came again but this time I managed to hold them in as i rested my face in Jason's shoulder.
"Better?" he asked still not pulling away.
"Yeah," I sighed and smiled at the door over his shoulder.
We pulled back at the same time but kept our hands on each other.
"Thanks Jason."I said and gave him one last squeeze before reluctantly pulling my arms from his back.
"No problem fairy bell," he whispered and poked me in the stomach.
Jason has always had that affect on me. No matter what happens I can always feel safe and happy in his arms. a twinge of sadness tugged at my heart as I watched him walk to the center of the very back isle to the tall metal stand holding his multi color spot light that he was required to shine on the stars on stage.
I looked back to the stage and saw the director standing at the part of the stage closest to me. I walked slowly to the fourth row up and say down in the center of the isle in one of the many red velvety fold down chairs.
"Okay, the director began," opening day is a week from Saturday and there is only one scene in the entire script that we haven't ran through, Luna! Gabrial! we are running through the kiss scene today and I want you two to give it as much passion as you have in your tiny teenage body's! got it?"
Luna and Gabe nodded and everybody else cleared off the stage.
"Oh boy," i whispered under my breath.
The drama club is doing an original play written by Luna, of course and she and Gabrial got the leads. Only as the director said there is a kissing scene in witch Carla(the soon to be married duchess) finds out that Martin(the stable boy) is in love with her and they end up kissing.
Luna and Gabrial stepped forward with the small red booklet that held the script.
Gabrial as I mentioned before is Shane's cousin. He is also a psychic vampire like Luna so me and him get along pretty well..... most of the time.
"Alright," the director began again," now remember Lady Carla has just walked out of the castle and into the hedge maze. Martin walks in behind her.." he motioned to Gabe."and action." he ended in a half whisper.
Before I could blink an eye the two regular(i use the term loosely) teenagers were throne back in time to a time of castles and knights in armor ready to protect their queen....

"Lady Carla I need to speak to you," Martin said urgently as he approached the beautiful queen.
"Martin," she began turning to him," I have told you a thousand times call me Carla." she said calmly not at all alerted by his tone.
"A thousand pardons, my lady," he said bowing.
"What is it you needed to say to me Martin?" She asked.
"You must call off the wedding." He said suddenly.
"What?" Carla gasped.
"You must," He added almost begging.
"What are you talking about John loves me and would stop at nothing to marry me!" She almost shouted.
"No he doesn't," Martin said quietly and took Lady Carla's hands in his own and stared into her eyes, willing her to listen.
"Yes he does," She said to him weakly, his emerald green eyes always able to make her melt no matter what he was saying.
"No," he said more firmly," he has been fooling around with near every woman servant in the castle, he never loved you lady Carla." he said the last part in a whisper.
"you're lying!" she yelled at him and pulled her hands from his grip and stepped back." John has always loved me! sense the first time he saw me! he has told me so! and I love him"
"No he doesn't!" Martin yelled back," You must listen to my words Carla! You know deep in your heart that I would never lie to you! It is that reached fool who has lied his way into your heart! He doesn't deserve such a beautiful and competent woman as your self!" He blundered on, close to tears." He does not deserve to be a lord! he does not even deserve to be in your presents!"he stopped to breath.
"Why do you care whether he loves me or not?" Carla countered, the tears dripping down her cheeks glistened in the candle light."you are nothing more than a stable boy!" She blurted before she could stop herself. As soon as the words left her lips she regretted them.
"Because I do!" He whispered and closed the few feet between them and took her face in his hands-
"Cut!" the directors voice cut through the fog of passion that had been created, just before Luna and Gabrial's lips touched.
I exhaled the breath I didn't realize I'd been holding.
"You two know my policy," he continued stepping up onto the stage as Gabe and Luna stepped apart."No kissing until the real performance.Now all of you get out of here."
"Whew!" I whispered, grabbed my climbing bag and walked to the base of the wooden stairs on the other right side of the stage.
"You were great." I heard Gabe say to Luna as they approached the stairs.
"Thanks, you too" She said smiling her cheeks turning slightly pink.
"Hey Iris," Gabe said as they descended the three steps to the ground.
"hey Gabe," i smiled tiredly at him.
"Okay lets go,"Luna said to me.
"You're not coming to dinner?" Gabe asked hurt flashing in his eyes.
"No sorry maybe some other time," Luna said sadly.
"It's my fault," I said instantly protecting her,"I need her tonight, sorry Gabe." I said smiling apologetically at him.
"No biggie," he shrugged."you gonna give me a hug or what?" He said to Luna.
Luna rolled her eyes smiling and Gabe enveloped her in an embrace that to any human would seem normal, but to a fairy, not so much.
I cleared my throat and rolled my eyes at them when they jumped apart guiltily.
"See ya Gabe," i said irritated and turned toward the doors.
"Bye Gabe!" Luna called as I dragged her with me.
"Bye?" he said it as more of a question.
"Hey fairy you gonna leave without saying' goodbye?" Jason said coming up to us as we reached the double doors."Hey vampy." he added to Luna.
"Of course not,"I said to him happily," you know me better than that."
Jason put his arms around me again and pulled me into another one of his comforting hugs. I wrapped my arms around him briefly to let him know I was better than when I'd walked into the theater. I pulled away and gave him a reassuring smile.
Me and Luna walked swiftly out of the auditorium into a light mist of rain.
"What was that all about?" Luna said as we walked towards the girls dorm.
"Nothing,"I said smiling knowing she knew it was far from nothing.
"Sure,"She laughed and that was when it happened.

"What the hell is that?"I said when the squeaking began.
"I have no clue...."Luna trailed off looking up at the darkening sky. We kept walking, slower this time.
It seemed that the closer we got to the dorm, the louder the weird squeaking got. not a normal little mouse squeak this was a high pitched screaming squeak.
"God that's annoying!" I yelled rubbing at my temples.
"It's not that loud you don't have to yell I"Luna said calmly I could barely hear.
"What do you mean not that loud it's-" I broke off as a wave of pain crashed in on my temples,"Ahh!" I yelled doubling over in pain.
"Iris!" Luna yelled running to me."What's wrong?"
"I don't know," I croaked."What ever...it is.....it's.....screwing.....with...my...power.... source." I gasped to her groping at my head.
"How is that possible?I thought-" Luna broke off as the source of the shrieking finally showed it's self."A bat?!" Luna gaped as it circled over us.
"That is so not....any ordinary...bat,"the pain in my head began to subside and i couldn't tell if it was a good or bad thing.
"What the he-" Luna began but was cut off by another wave of squeaking.
Just then the dove down towards Luna. Before I could say anything it happened. The bat descended from the gray mist toward her t inhuman(animal?) speed. Before I could even blink the bat's claws had ripped into my sisters right arm
"Ahh!" She screamed and staggered back as the bat swerved back to the sky.
It continued to circle far above out heads.
"Luna!" I shouted to her and staggered over to my twin hunched over her arm."you okay?" I asked frantically.
"Calm down fairy,"Luna said painfully,"Just take car of that damn bat!" She jerked her head to the small black figure pulling back for another dive.
"Oh no you don't!" I muttered and straightened up.
The bat was coming at me, fast. But I was faster. I thrust my down toward my leg and used my telekinesis powers to pull the large buck night hidden in my thick soled leather boot. The knife flew out of it's worn brown encasement and flew into my hand. The black fabric of the handle warmed in my hand as if built only for me. As the Bat got closer i flung my hand up and the small body was impaled with my six inch blade. The scratch black fur matted with blood, I slid the little creature off the sleek steal. I looked down at the dark red liquid.
"Please don't,"Luna begged coming up next to me.
I lifted the blade to my face despite her plea. instead of licking it clean(like i normally do) I sniffed at the thick liquid.
"YUCK," I gagged.'I wouldn't even if i was starving, this doesn't smell right."
"It's not dead." Luna said staring down at the tiny black body. She looked back up at me. She smiled hopefully.
"Go for it." I said and turned around. I whipped my knife on the wet grass to clean it off and slipped it back into it holster in my boot.
"That's better," Luna sighed when i turned back to her.
"Low on energy?" I asked as we started walking again.
"Nope," she smiled devilishly.