If Love Were a Fairytale | Teen Ink

If Love Were a Fairytale

By Atl.Braves03 BRONZE, Tampa, FL, Florida
Atl.Braves03 BRONZE, Tampa, FL, Florida

God is God and I am not
I can only see a part
Of this picture he's painting
God is God and I am man
I will never understand
Because only God is God

The bright world, green and red and blue circled around like a whirl wind as they twirled, hand in hand. He spun her around caught her as she leaned back precariously. Her soft blue skin stood in soft contrast with the vivid colorful world around them. He deftly pulled her back up and she spun away from him until she was as far away as their arms would allow them. She looked into his face, as blue as hers and just as happy. He was just a little taller so when she turned back in close to him it felt natural. Around them the world sang, and the trees as green as the brightest of emeralds, swayed in natural musical rhythm. The female released his hand a grabbed one of the long red vine that hung almost to the ground from the trees. Her gaze never left his as she pushed off and softly floated around him.

They were the first that morning, but as the sun rose more began to arrive. Dozens of couples danced around them in the bright forest. All of them had the same beautiful, smooth, blue sin and tall, slender bodies; the same small, fragile noses, and large intense green eyes. Most noticeably, however, was the large bright blue diamond that each one had placed onto his forehead. Occasionally it would catch the sunlight, sending beams of blue colored light every which way. Each of the creatures was unique. They did this all day, whirling and swirling to the rhythm of the world, never growing tired or disinterested. He grabbed her waist and spun her around. The world blurred into a collage of colors, but she trusted him, and he never dropped her.

Then, it was over. The sun sank and with a regretful sigh he spun her one last time and gently tossed her in the air. She flew through the air like a majestic butterfly that he just been released and then she landed perfectly balanced. The sun was quickly waning and the groups were beginning to head north as they always did. She took a step forward in the direction of the others and then looked back. He had not moved. Confusion. She ran back and grabbed his hand, tugging at it gently, but he only looked at her sadly. She did not understand. Uncertainly, she took another step away and then another, looking back to see if he would follow. He did not move. Then, she realized he was not coming. Regret crossed her face, but she could not stay. She turned her shoulder as if she were going to walk away, but then- almost as an afterthought- she turned back and bounded back to him and kissed him on the cheek. Than she was gone: just like the others.

Just like every other day. He had experienced it 20 times now in his short life. 20 days in a row, and it never got any easier. Every time he felt his heart shatter; every time he felt abandoned; every time he felt alone. He did know why he couldn’t go with them; why he couldn’t leave the colorful wood which was all he had ever known. Even though the music went to sleep at night the colors were still as vibrant as ever. A huge stalk with a bright red leaf hung over him, giving him some shelter during the night. Nearby a huge white mushroom would have worked as well. While he slept, white flower petals fell down from the trees as the wind dislodged them.

He awoke early the next morning. The entire ground was covered in a blanket of white flower petals. He barely noticed them. He just stood quietly and faced north, and wondered and imagined. He squinted his right eye as something began to irritate it slightly. He glanced over. The sun had begun to peep over the hills in the east, cascading the world in even more wonderful colors.
Her head appeared from behind a large leaf, where she hid. He returned her look, and she ducked back behind, shyly. He had been through this before. When her head again appeared over the edge of leaf, his arm was extended to her invitingly. She glanced at his hand doubtfully and then back up to his eyes. He was careful not to make any sudden movement. Slowly, softly, she began to creep out of hiding, keeping her eyes warily on him. His mouth twitched into a reassuring smile as she drew closer and she extended her hand doubtfully toward his. Then they touched. She drew away quickly as if he were made of burning fire, but when she saw that he did not move threateningly she again advanced and this time cautiously grasped his hand. He felt her body go tense and he waited patiently for her to relax. And then they danced.
Twirling and jumping, they kicked up the white flower peddles, but more fell down in the place of those. Soon the clearing was again full of pairs dancing together. It would have been magical with all of the colors and lights and leaping and spinning, but to him it everything had lost its magical touch. He knew that eventually the sun would again set and they would leave him. The day waned and he began to feel for once hopeful. He danced with her as he had never danced with anyone before. Maybe this time he could travel away with them. The light began to disappear and she grasped his hand joyously and pulled him along with her as she ran, as full as energy and happiness as ever, north. He came with her for a time, wanting so badly to follow her, but as he neared the edge of the clearing his legs began to slow and his fingers began to untangle from hers. Than it was as it was before. A sorrowful look, a kiss on the cheek, and then she was gone.
He cried then. He screamed to the heavens, to anyone that would hear him, but no one was there. He stumbled back to the wooded clearing and collapsed, out of breath. The pure green leaves had begun to change colors and fall around him like painted snowflakes. “Why am I even here?” he thought. As far as he knew, he was the only one that ever thought or spoke. They only danced. They only left. He didn’t blame them. He would leave too if he could but he couldn’t. He did not sleep well that night. He thought only of what could be and his heart hurt with longing. He just wanted to live a normal life.
When he awoke, he was covered with leaves. He felt no obligation to get up. Not today. He saw her through his canopy of leaves poking her head out. It was a different girl, as always, but they were basically the same. He did not greet her this time as he did all of the other times before. He just hid and watched. She wandered around looking, though she did not know what she was looking for. Behind the trees and all of the bushes, she tramped through the leaves but she found nothing. Then she backed away. Her green eyes darted around in confusion. The others were already dancing now, but she had no one to dance with. He would not come out. Not again to just watch her leave like the others before. That third day went by so slowly. He watched as she wandered through the crowd of dancing blue, still searching. Then the day was over, and she began to leave.
He was curious, that is all, because when she walked away he followed. He wanted so badly to know where it was that they went. It was not far away. In the middle of the forest a huge tree stood, the oldest in the forest. In its center a blue diamond had been emplaced in the tree. He watched in fascination as each figure made their way to the tree, placed their own diamonded forehead again the diamond of the tree. Then they were gone. He put his hand up and felt his own blue diamond that was there. One day, that will be me, he thought to himself. Then he headed back.

The following night began strangely calm. A drop of water landing on his nose was his first experience of rain. His large eyes gazed upward in wander as more drops descended from the heavens until it became a downpour. He rushed for cover and hid under the blue, leafy overhang of a plant. He shivered. The rain began to pour harder, and he decided that he did not much like rain. It was as if his feeling were spilling out around him in a miserable torrentulous down pour.
It was under the cover of darkness and rain that It came out. It was a like a shadow, merciless and quick and almost invisible. Still, he saw it. He saw moves in his tiny clearing. It slithered through the underbrush and took refuge among It’s shadows. He watched as it snaked towards the jewel. As he stealthily followed the figure a twig snapped under his feet. The figure froze and glanced around, but he was already hidden safely behind a tree out of sight. It moved suspiciously forward again towards the diamond. He watched as It touched the diamond. Nothing happened. Than It pulled out a thin object and began to pry at it.
Water from the torrent rain streamed into his eyes but he understood instantly what was happening. The others would be stranded forever. But was that really so bad? He wondered. After all, that is what he wanted. He imagined dancing forever and never having to worry about being left at nightfall. He imagined twirling her as he always did, but holding her more tightly knowing that she would always be there.
But then he saw the joy in her face as she headed north and he knew he could sentence her to a life in this one small wooded clearing forever. That was his burden to bear alone. With a great deal of effort he forced himself to pick up a heavy rock and with a yell he sprang down at the figure. It froze, unsure exactly what was descending down upon It. It glared in frustration at him and hissed, but it did not stay to fight. It swung Its fist mightily at the diamond one last time and it exploded into a million pieces.
He felt his body leave the ground and fly backwards through the air from the force of the explosion. Everything slowed as he took in the sights around him. Thin pieces of diamond seemed to float by him and he no longer saw the world as it was. It was only a mixture of bright colors. His pointed ears that had at first screamed from abuse had now receded to just a gentle throb. Everything was so peaceful. Then the world went black.
The rain had stopped when he awoke. It was just before dawn. His peaceful glade was as it usually was. Pink flower petals fell from the trees and birds sang. He stood slowly, trying hard to remember something, but he could not.
She did not hide this time. She confidently stepped out of the trees and looked at him curiously. He was not sure what to do. She extended a hand to him and he extended his, taking hers. She spun in towards him wrapping herself in his arm. Then she spun back out grasping both of his hand. Two steps and she had ducked past him, and he had stepped past her and they had effortlessly and rhythmically traded place. She allowed him to pick her up and to swing her before releasing her. She landed gracefully on her feet.
It was the most wonderful thing he had ever experience in his 23 days of existence. It was as if she and he were the same people, dancing about with energy and passion that was not matched. He lost all track of time when he danced with her so he was surprised when the sun began to sink. He stopped dancing and his eyes darted around in desperation. He could not let her go. Then he remembered. Before he could react, she grabbed his hand and was joyfully pulled him towards the tree. She stopped when she saw that the diamond was missing. A group of blue figures had begun to gather around the tree where the diamond used to be, starring at it hopelessly.
She looked at his face questioningly, and he could not shake the aching feeling he had that he had failed her. It hurt him. It hurt him worse than abandonment ever had. He saw hopelessness in her eyes and felt as if his insides had been shattered alongside that diamond. He turned away from her gaze guiltily and lowered his head.
Then he knew what he had to do. He pushed his way to the front of the crowd and looked at them. Each one of them nodded at him as if they already knew his plan. He clenched his teeth together and raised his hands to his forehead and felt the smooth blue diamond there. Then, very softly he removed it. It did not hurt like he thought it might. It just slid out and began to glow faintly. He cupped it in both hands and looked at it for a second. It represented his only way he would ever leave; the only way he would ever be normal. It represented life! He slid it into place anyways. The blue light expanded until it blinded everyone and the earth, ever so slightly, rumbled. Then the light slowly receded back to its normal place. It was a perfect fit.
He watched only the first person grasp it and disappear before he turned away. He did not regret his decision, but that did not make it hurt any less. One by one, they all disappeared until she was the only one left. She gazed at him questioningly and he returned her gaze sadly. She stepped over towards him and extended her hand towards his forehead where the diamond used to be. She traced the small crevice with her fingers and then she touched her own. A look of sadness came across her face as she realized what this must mean. She glanced at the diamond, and then back at him. She took a step towards the diamond, and then- almost as if it were an afterthought- she ran back to him and kissed him on the cheek. He smiled at her reassuringly and nodded towards the diamond.
She again stepped towards it. Her face filled with resolve. With a one smooth motion she put her hand to her forehead, grasped her diamond, and threw it as far into the woods as she could. She had given everything up. She walked confidently over to him and put her arms around his thin waist and rested her head on his chest. “I. am… Luciana,” she said haltingly. It was the first words he had ever heard that were not his own.

Layne Hosick said...
on Apr. 25 2012 at 3:05 am
aww...so good! Sheesh such a romantic :P

on Apr. 24 2012 at 10:38 am
Kyle_Roundtree SILVER, Burlington, Iowa

Never give in, never give up, and keep moving forward.

Great book im loving it

on Apr. 19 2012 at 10:00 am
Atl.Braves03 BRONZE, Tampa, FL, Florida

God is God and I am not
I can only see a part
Of this picture he's painting
God is God and I am man
I will never understand
Because only God is God

Thanks! I appreciate the comment

DanielM. said...
on Apr. 19 2012 at 12:55 am
Im just still reading, but i can tell you that you have a gift, its filled with a lot of vivid descriptions and imagery, Great job. I countine reading it.

Stacy said...
I Loved it!

Atl.Braves03 BRONZE, Tampa, FL, Florida

God is God and I am not
I can only see a part
Of this picture he's painting
God is God and I am man
I will never understand
Because only God is God

*the positive comment

Atl.Braves03 BRONZE, Tampa, FL, Florida

God is God and I am not
I can only see a part
Of this picture he's painting
God is God and I am man
I will never understand
Because only God is God

Thanks. Tell me what you think of it when you finish!

Writer_Jordan GOLD, Ellicott City, Maryland

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Just started reading but I can tell already that it is very vivid and packed with descriptive detail, especially of actions..will continue reading!

on Apr. 4 2012 at 1:02 am
Atl.Braves03 BRONZE, Tampa, FL, Florida

God is God and I am not
I can only see a part
Of this picture he's painting
God is God and I am man
I will never understand
Because only God is God

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it positive comment!

EbbaRose said...
EbbaRose, Adelaide, Other

This is great. i loved it. The story was really sweet and sad and the writing was beautiful.

Keep writing. :))

Nics friend said...
Excellent!!!!!