Frozen in time | Teen Ink

Frozen in time

By hiddenprincess GOLD, Millersburg, Ohio
hiddenprincess GOLD, Millersburg, Ohio

I would rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
I am a dreamer and no one will ever take that away from me.
People may say that you will be nothing but you may say Watch me!

Author's note: I just saw it as a weird book that teens and adults might want to read. I hope people will learn that when your friends, no matter what you uncover, you should always stick together.

Emma is the main character and she works for Phil.

" Emma! Emily! come back here! " A Tall, lanky,17 year old, long silver haired girl in an apron walks through a door onto a loading dock. Standing on the dock beside a mini-semi truck, is a shorter, older man with graying hair holding a box. " Phil. I asked you to wait for me to help you unload the trucks. Your getting to old for this. "
" I told you before I may be old but I'm not that old. Here, take this one. " She looks at the box with her thin face. " A box of short stories? We don't get many donations like this. Where did they come from? " " Do you remember Mrs. Flyburn? " " Yea. what about her? " " She passed away Emma. She had a heart attack in her home. Only 2 weeks after she made her will. " " That’s sad. Did she have any kids? " "Yea. Two. One of them moved to Washington state and the other was killed in a car accident four months ago in Shelby, North Carolina. " Said the man as he picks up boxes from the bed of the truck and hands them to the young girl as she stacks them on a cart.
"She put us in her will? "

" Yup! And good news too. She donated 450 books to us. " "That's great! You don't care if I look at some of them and you know.... barrow some? " "Sure! Be my guest! As long as we have at least 200 of these books on the shelves I will be happy. "" Thanks! Your the best Phillip! "
" It's Phil. " " Sorry. " " It's fine. Lets get these books out of the cold before some of the bindings crack. " Yes sir. " And with that, they wheeled the cart full of boxes into the book shop.

" These are good books Phil. Mrs. Flyburn had a good taste in them, not to mention she was prepared for every word that needed a meaning. " Said Sam as she pulled books out of a box. There were dictionaries, novels, comic books, and even some how-to books. " Yup. That was Maddie. She had her favorites though. " " She even had Stephen King? Wait. What’s this one? "
Sam had picked up a book that had a leather cover that had a title carved as a relief into it. " What is this book Phil? " "I'm not really sure. look inside it. "
Sam opens it and sits down on a couch and Phil sets beside her. Inside the book is some drawings and stories. One of the drawings That caught her eye was one a young man. He was young and skinny. He had what look like blond hair and had a loose shirt on and black pants. The thing that shocked her was that there were vines with thorns rapped around his arms and they were raising off the ground around him. He was standing on rubble.
He also had a gun that was encased with thorn vines but on the side it said " The Red Rose Hunter " and on his left shoulder was a red stain. A blood stain from the looks of it. The weird thing about it was he was pointing it towards a what looked like a young girl.
The girl had a uniform on that had a red bow near her neck and that for some reason she seamed to glow. She had on a skirt with a long sleeved jacket. She was standing there with her hands behind her back and her head down. What was behind her back though was strange, a rod with a blade at the top that looked like multiple pointed feathered wings on each side and a spear in the middle. It looked dark bluish. Dangerous blue wings and spear in the shape of a heart. There were some people in the background wearing bluish uniforms. And there was dust that seamed to be swearling around them all and there was a coat in the middle of them that looked as though it was flapping in the wind. But the girls eyes were diffrent.
In her eyes were tears. Her eyes wern't blue or green like the people behind her but red. Red as blood. The young mans eyes were a purple color. In his eyes, there was a storm of emotions. Anger, sadness, happiness, pain, and loss. In the girls eyes, behind the tears of red, were the same emotions except there were three more, kindness, gratefulness and apologetic.
" Phil. I want this one. I want to read what this writer had to say about this picture. There is so much emotion in this picture, I want to read what this picture is about. What is so powerful about it. " " That’s fine Emma. I don't think anyone would want to read that book. I think I've been looking at it too long because I'm seeing things people wouldn't see at first glance. "
" What do you mean Phil? " " I mean, I think I saw the sand whip around them and I got a weird feeling like I was watching a movie because I thought I saw them moving. I thought I saw a tear drop from the girl's eye. " " I saw that too. Come on Phil. Let's get these books sorted before we go completely crazy. " " Good Idea. "
And with that they started putting books into piles and putting them onto the right shelves for selling. After that, They both sat down with the book again and found out what the cover said. " I can rub my fingers over it and see what it says. Can you write it down Phil? " " Pen and paper ready. " " Where? I don't see it in your hands." " It's up here. " He pointed and tapped to his head. " Sure Phil. What ever you say. " And they sat down and started deciphering. " I think it says 'Living characters by: Madison Flyburn'. She wrote this? " " I guess so. Lets read and see if her writing was good or not. " "Ok. you ok with the pictures Phil? " " Yea. It's fine. If I go crazy, I want someone to be at my funeral that has a passion for books like you do."
They then sat down and started to read. They never had the slightest idea about what was in store for them when they read the very first word, a warning on the page before chapter one, 'Danger'.

' Feb. 13, 1878
Age : 16

I didn't know about his family, just that they were killed in a kind of freak accident with a getroes. I never knew who I was or what I was.
I wanted to know what went on in his head but at the same time, I wasn't sure I wanted to. Matt's mind is like an impenetrable fortress that is a place everyone is forbidden to go. I was told that I was too kind to him but when I heard about his family, I couldn't just say "Oh well, life goes on. Get over it cry baby. I felt sorry for him, for his family, for his brother , and I felt a connection to him not knowing what would happen to me or what will happen because of my past I don't know about. He said that his brother was killed but I don't believe it. Any time someone says the name ' Isaiah ' he gets upset. But when he hears his parents names, he just greives. It's like he hates his brother. He said they used to be so close, they wold be mixed up all the time of who was who. It's either he morns more about his brother or his brother had done something that he couldn't forgive. Once I heard Matt saying that his brother had something to do a F.B. They were twins and I have no choice but to learn the truth, even if it means getting hurt in the process. I have to find out what is in his head and why he hates the Getroes race so much. It has to be more than just being a hunter of their kind. There is a passion able hatred for them on a lower level of meaning. I was told I was too kind and I know I was because I got hurt by being kind but I can't be kind any more I don't think. Not to find the truth about Matt, Isaiah, or even my past. I don't know what I can do to find out but find out I will. Even if it means going against the will of Kaey, Matt, the Head mistress Toko, or even me, myself. Time to patrol the grounds of the academy.
Sign : Paige Patton
P.S. Who should I choose as a lover if I have to. The person I saved? Or the person that saved me?'

" Emily. Your late again. " " I know Phil. I'm sorry. I was up late last night. " " Let me guess, you were reading ' Living charaters ' and you lost track of time. " " No. I was out late last night. With a friend. A new friend. " " Let me guess, Colten? " " No. " Emma takes her coat off and puts on a apron over her multi-colored, striped sweat shirt, with a small smile. " Who's your boyfriend now? This better not interfear with your job. " " It won't Phil, and besides, he's not my 'boy-friend'. He just happens to be my friend and is a guy. " " Sure. What-ever. Just get these price tags on these books and put them on the shelves. " " Yes sir. " " By the way, what's going on in that book? What's the pic about. " " Not much, I havent got to the pic yet though. I don't think that the book was written by Mrs. Flyburn. " She said using a price gun, putting prices on hard cover books." What makes you think that? "" Well, I read the first chapter and the first thing that caught my eye was that it was written in the late 1800's. 1876 I think. Plus the girl who wrote it was 16 at the time. How old was Mrs. Flyburn when she died? " "97. I can see your point. Anything that would give us a clue on who wrote it? "
" Yea. On the bottom of the page there was a signeture. Paige Patton I think. She was a horse lover but she was also a person that two certain people loved. " " What makes you say that? " " At the bottom of the page, there was a P.S. It was like she was talking to some one. It was talking about which one she would choose if it came to that. "
" That's intersting. Anything else? " "Yea. There was a creature called a 'Getroes'. " "Did it describe them? " " No. She was talking about a boy named Matt. She lives with a head mistriss Named Toko and that Matt has had a hard life. She said he was a Getroes hunter. His family was killed and he has a grudge against his twin brother who may be dead but he may not be. I don't know. She also said that his mind is the only thing she know nothing about. She said somthing about his mind being locked up. She used the frase '...an impenatrable fortress...'."
" That's deep. I'll look up what a Getroes is." "Ok. Phil, I think your right, that frase has to have somthing more behind it. I think she really likes him but is afraid of hurting him. " " Huh. So, who's the lucky guy? " " Nice try Phil,nice try. " Emma said with a happy smile. She would keep playing him like an Ace in a Go Fish or Poker game. And besides, he wouldn't understand Matt. He wouldn't understand at all. All he would do is tell her to stay away from him anyway.

' Feb. 15th, 1878
I should have known. I should have had at least one tiny clue about Matt. How could I have been so stupid! I should have let things go the way they were. How could I have been so selfish? I was thinking only of myself and not of Matt. I was near the fountain that showed a swan with red eyes when Matt came up behind me. I thought he was coming up behind me to tell me of some day class students or ask me to talk to Keay but I was totally off. I just had my hand wrapped up because of the wound that Jake had caused. He started saying to me that he was sorry that he wasn't there to save me but I wanted to tell him I had no thought he would save me but I guess he was blaming himself. " I'm sorry Matt. I should go. I should have been able to protect myself but I'm too stupid to protect myself. "I tried to walk away but he grabbed my hand and the bandage fell off and a small drop of blood started to ooze. I saw something in his eyes, something in-human. That's when I realized that He was one of them and that the passion of his hate was because he was them. He saw himself as a beast. A monster. He held onto my hand and swung around me. I felt a siring pain and I knew what had just happened. He bit my shoulder and it was too late for it to stop him. I felt the drain of the iron and the world around me went dark .The iron was sucked out of my body quickly. Matt was a Getroes. His parents were killed by one but I never would have thought that he would be one. I guess Keay was in his room when he smelled my blood. He was talking to the Head Mistress Toko. He ran up the stairs and stopped about one yard in front of us. "What have you done?! Get your hands off her. You are a disgrace to all Getroes. "Then he came towards us with remarkable speed with nails sharp as glass coming towards Matt’s throat. I had to stop him so I jumped in the way. All I remember is warmth, blackness and yelling along with a gun shot. God, be ok Matt. Pleas be ok Kaey.
Paige Patton, 1878

RING! "Phil! I'm here! "Phil, an older man with graying-black, short hair walks out from behind the counter and walks up to her and gives her a hug.” I'm glad your here. We got another shipment in from Mr. Blauks. "“How many this time? 45? "“163. Most of them are brand new. I guess his wife is making him get rid of some of his books. "“I would hope so. He's got over what, 1,400 books? "“1,600. Any way, before you start working, I want to know some things. " "He’s a guy with silver-” " You would call that platinum-blond.” "-what ever. Anyway, he's 17, doesn't have any family except a twin brother who's missing and doesn't like to be around a lot of people. "
" A loner? He's no good. Stay away from him. "“He doesn't trust people. Not since his parents were killed by some one in an accident. I don't know exact details. I didn't think he would want to talk about it. All I know is that it was one person that caused an accident. "“One person doesn't mean you don't trust everyone in the world. "
"Phil, he doesn't know where in the world his twin brother is, his parents are dead, and he's been living by himself since he was 13. He has an older brother but he is married and moved up to North Dakota with his wife and 3 kids. His twin brother was in the car with his parents but that’s not the creepy part. "Said Emma as she hung her coat up, put on her apron and poured a cup of hot Black-Berry-Black tea.” So, what’s the creepy part? "Asked Phil. Emma looked thoughtful as she answered.” The creepy part is that they never found the body of his twin brother."
"What do you mean by that?” "I mean, they never found his brother's body. Not to mention that a new friend of mine hates him and the same feeling is mutual." Emma is sipping her tea. She sits down on the white leather couch and held her mug in her lap. Phil sits beside her as Emma is smiling and looking down into her mug.
"Do you see that goofy smile? You really like him don't you. "“Yea. I do. Why are you smiling Phil? It looks weird since you hardly ever smile. "“I’m just happy and I do smile sometimes. I remember when you started working here, with out pay I might add,you were around 9. You have grown so much since then. I feel like a grandpa to you. "
" I think of you are a grandpa, well, since you took me in." She looked into his eyes and saw something, something different than just the boss of a job. Pride? Love? Protectiveness? All three. "My guess it that you look just like your mother right now even though I wouldn't know. My bet is she was a very respectful person and is smiling right now where ever she is. Oh, and I'll tell you something. He better treat you right or he's going to have to answer to me."
They both laughed.” Hey Gramps! Did you ever find out what a Getroes is? "“It’s still Phil to you and yes I did. It is an old Native American myth. It is like a vampire except that it doesn't need blood to survive, it needs iron."" That's diffrent. " Phil shrugged.
"Getroes often get confused with vampires because they both suck blood except a Getroes replaces the blood and takes just the iron but they supposedly 'attack' humans to take the iron from their body. They also have dis-colored eyes. Unique colors like red, violate, or any other color under the rainbow."
“What about weird colored hair? " "Not that I know of. Why? "“No reason. Just asking to see if you did your home work, what do they look like? "“They look like human beings. The other reason that people call them vampires is because they only come out at night. The light is supposed to hurt their eyes. Not to mention that they have very pale skin that burns easy if they are not used to being outside during summer or any sunny time."
“I can see how people can get the two confused. Wait. You said they suck blood to get the iron they need but they put it back, how do they do it? "“Hollow fangs. Supposedly, one takes in the iron rich blood and the other replaces the iron deprived blood. It supposedly was a very complex system. Like snake fangs just a backwards system. "
"I see. I found out about our mysterious author. "“Oh? What do we know so far? "“She was 16 when she started writing and drawing the book. Her name was Paige Toko even though she signs the book under 'Paige Patton. She loves horses and two guys. The book, I think, is more than a novel or a fiction though. It's more like journal entrees. "Phil was feeling playful so he decided to pick on her a little.
“So, you’re saying that the myth of the Getroes is real? You really need to get out more often instead of reading. "“No! "Said Emma still laughing a little when she finished. "I’m just saying that it seems a little....personal, for a fiction novel.”
"I can see where you’re coming from Emma. What about her family, her past? "“She has no parents, doesn't remember her past, is stuck between choosing a lover, and was taken in by a woman referred as 'Mistress Toko'. She was taken to the mistress by an acquaintance of hers named Keay Kun. They run an academy named ' Toko Bi-Yoru Academy'. Paige and Matt are ' Prefects ' though I'm not sure what those are though. "
"I do. I used to be one for.... Well; I still am for something that I can't say. Anyway, a prefect is someone who protects another persons or secrets and also enforces rules to protect people from something. Keay is a prefect but don't tell him I said that or he would be so Pis-"
" Mad. "
"-Yea." Emma was thinking again and cut Phil off in mid-sentence. She was thinking about how close her friend Keay and the Keay in the book were alike in looks and personality.
" You don't think that my friend Kaey is related do you? To the one in the book? "“No. I highly doubt it. Why did you ask about weird colored hair earlier? "“Oh. No reason. I just haven't seen silver hair that comes naturally. "
“I have. Wait did you say silver? "“Yea. You told me it was a blond color.Why? "
"What’s Matt's last name?” "Michigan. Why what’s going on?" They both get up quick and Emma sets her tea down. They go to a computer that is beside the coffee pot on a table. Phil sat down at the chair and got on the internet and started typing rapidly. "Phil, what’s going on? I've never seen you type so fast in my life! Why are you so nervous?" He never answered. The only things that did answer were the quarter and eighth rests between keys being pressed." Phil, what’s wrong?"
He finally stopped typing and showed Emma a picture of a young man with silver hair. He was skinny, had a uniform on, Black jacket over white tee shirt and long black pants. The young man had a gun in his pocket in side the loosly fitting jacket. It seemed to be attacked with a chain that seemed to be attached to the guy,it looked like it was attached near the shoulder. And for some reason, he seemed dark. A dark aurora. His skin was pale but the look on his face was almost unreadable.
Usually you can tell what a person is thinking by seeing their face expression but this face was unreadable. Also, there were two scars on the side of the guys neck. On the handle of the gun, there was a name, 'Bloody Rose Hunter'. He looked just like..... Matt.Emma's voice was a little over a wisper.
"What is this Phil? How did you know what Matt looked like? Why is Matt's name at the bottom of this picture?!"“Because, I took him in when he was 8. I am sort of of his step father. His parents were killed but they were not killed in an accident. They were killed by something called a- "RING! They both turned to see who had come in.
"Matt! What are you doing here?" Emma asked with a shaky voice."Hey Emma. I came to see you and the Head Mas- Phillip. "“I forgot that you were coming. Maybe now's not a good time. "“Can Emma take a lunch break Phil? " Phil nodds while Matt tries to get her to leave. "Emma- " " No Matt, I'm sorry to be stubborn but I need to know what the heck is going on here!” Emma turns to Phil "I have never spoken to you or anyone like this before but Matt's a friend and so is you and I am tired of you being so secretive Phil. I have never pried before but all of these secret meetings? What’s going on! Your secrets are starting to scare me a lot. You've never been like this before. "
“I can see that you’re scared at what you might not know or be able to find. I can also see that I'm not going to get rid of you since your so stinking stubborn so I guess I need to talk to you both. I guess it is time for her know,Matt. She needs to know what Keay and the man who attacked her is and was.""What are you talking about Phil? Who attacked me? When?"
Emma looks at Phil with an almost pleading look.” Let's start with her past and end with mine. When I'm gone. " Emma sighs.“Matt, that are you guys talking about? " Emma looks at Phil again then he answers. "Fine with me."
Emma looked at Matt again when she notices the he was so pale, he could be a ghost.” Matt, your so pale, are you feeling ok? "Asked Emma. She reached over touch his forehead.
"I’m fine.” He moved just out of her reach. As she took a step or two forward, her shoe caught on the rug under the desk and she fell. Her head hit the corner of the table. SMACK! All she saw was Matt and Phil kneeling over her. " Emily! Emily! It's Phil.
"Are...ok? "“Matt......Phil.... "her voiced faded as her world went black. After that, all Emily could see was black. Pitch black.
Phil looked at her and then felt for a pulse on Emma's neck. He then looked at Matt. "Zuka, I think she has a concussion.” "I didn't mean it!" Matt looked at the floor and stood up, running his fingers through his hair. "Damn-it! Why is it always me that causes pain to the ones I care about?! I didn't mean for this to happen. If she gets hurt becuase of me one more time I'm-" Phil broke his sentence.“Zuka, it wasn't your fault. She tripped on the rug. I should have fixed that freaking thing a long time before this. Help me get her up stairs on the bed and I will bandage up her head."
Matt stopped pacing and gently grabbed her, one hand under her knees and one by her neck, and carried her halfway up the stairs. Matt stopped and turned towards Phil.
"Head Master Keith, do you think she will remember what happened when we were kids?” "No. She hasn't remembered for the last 7 years. I think she will remember what happened in time though. Zuka, What you did to her on accident 7 years ago doesn't make you’re a monster. You were having a hard time. You just lost your parents. If she ever does remember, I know she will forgive you. That's the type of person she is. " “Sure. ""Zuka, why did you come back? To her? To me? I thought you said you would never come back again." Matt saw his chance to change the subject.
"I saw Emma getting bothered by Jake again. He was going to ask her out when I asked her to come with me because something happened to you. I Told her somthing happend to you. She came with me but I guess that backfired."" Yea. She didn't leave me alone for a month.""Sorry. I didn't mean to make a problem for you. I need to get her up there so you can bandage her head. One other thing, stop calling me Zuka. That was my name before my life was destroyed by a Getroes. Do you have any iron tablets around?" "Yea. In the upstairs bathroom. Top shelf above the sink. You can smell it in her blood. Is it strong? "
“Yes. Quite. It was like that when we were little too. She always woundered why I would run away when she would get a scrape or cut. Thanks Head Master." He turned to head up the stairs." It's Phill. Zuk- Matt. And thank you for comming back. Juat remember Phil when she's around until she can understand the systems. "“I know. I won't forget."
Matt started heading up the stairs. He was carrying something very close to his heart, close to his body. He would never let go of her again. He would find out a way to rewrite the story. He would not loose her to that wretched PureBlood. Never.

Emma, EM, and Emily are all the same character, she is just called multiple names.

It's cold. Where am I? Emma sat up and looked around. She was laying in the snow. It was dark. She was beside a lake. She stood up and started walking towards the lake. She saw the stars and the full moon shimmering on the surface of the lake. It was beautiful. There was a silhouette of a mountain in the distance. She heard a single wolf on that mountain top howling. It's packed howled a response. " Beautiful isn't it? " Emma turned around so quickly she fell in the snow. Standing behind her was an older man. He was ugly. He had a long nose. Pointy chin. Skinny and had... red eyes? Who was he?

" Beautiful isn't it? " Emma turned around so quickly she fell in the snow. Standing behind her was an older man. He was ugly. He had a long nose. Pointy chin. Skinny and had... red eyes? Who was he? What did he want? " Oh, I'm sorry. I haven't introduced myself. My name is Setgrose. " He smiled. Crooked yellowing teeth with something brown on some of them. Now that she looked, there was something brown that streaked his chin.

" Who are you? Wh-wh-what do you want? " Emma asked, her voice tiny. She had just realized that everything was a lot taller than she was used to. This man couldn't have been over 5'2'' and she was 5'4'' or was she? The man smiled. " Now, now. It's alright. I'm a friend. " Emma was shivering not so much from the cold but more from the fear of what would come next. The man came closer. He was an arm's reach away. " Do you know who you are? " He asked. Emma thought for a minute. She shook her head as she tried to remember. " Who am I? " She whispered. She heard an explosion. She turned her head quickly to her right towards to lake. On the shore a ways away, there was a house on fire. Her blood ran cold. Out side of the house, there was a swing in a tree. The swing was moving. There was someone on the swing but who. She could just make out a female figure who...
Someone had grabbed hold of her. She smelled the stench of rotten blood. She tried to scream but a filthy hand covered her mouth. " Just a little, then I'll let you go. Just a.. " Emma was whimpering. She felt his slimy thing on her neck then... excruciating pain. The one word that went through her head was the one thing she never believed in. Vampire. The man taking her blood was oblivious to the boy coming up behind him.
Emma's body was becoming limp. She stopped trying to resist. I am going to die, she thought. She was flung to the ground. Hard. She was laying on her right side. She weakly reached up and touched the left side of her neck. She felt a warm stickiness on the other side of her gloves. Her breaths were shallow. She saw someone leaning over her. " No... " she breathed. " Please don't... it hurts... ". She felt herself being lifted. Carried. She felt a snow flake fall under her eye onto her cheek. She heard the pack of wolves howling a song that was full of sorrow.
Somehow she knew that a pup had not survived the winter and now the entire pack grieved. She opened her eyes and looked up into the face of her holder. A boy. Not too much older than her. Maybe around 13, only 3 years older. His hair was almost to his shoulders but not quite there. It was dark brown. If the moonlight hit it just right, she could see copper in it. He had a pointy-is facing and eyes that were the perfect size. His eyes were... red. She gasped...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
" NO! NO! NO! " Emma screamed. " Please don't! " Emma started shaking her head. Matt was sitting in the chair beside her bed. It was an old wicker chair with a high back on it. It was actually kind of comfortable. Matt had fallen asleep but not deeply. As soon as she said ' no ', he was awake and beside her. She started kicking and punching. " Emma! Emma, wake up! " TUNK! Emma landed a punch in Matt's left eye. " Stay away from me! " Emma kept on yelling. " Emma! Please! Phil! " Matt was able to grabbed Emma's sweaty wrists and keep her from hitting him in the face too hard. Phil came into the room with a needle and syringe full of a clear liquid. A drug called Valium. Please, he thought, let the good memories come soon. " Emily. Pleas EM. Calm down! " Phil's voice was covered in concern and fear. He shook his head and pushed the needle into her out stretched arm. " I'll stay with her. You go get something to eat. " Matt shook his head. " No. I'm fine. It's her I need. " Phil sighed. " I know. I just wish it could be different. I hope you know that. I really do. I'm going to try to help you but I can't promise anything. "
Phil turned and walked out the door. Matt heard his steps going down the steps. Emma's body started to relax. She was taking long deep breaths now. She was once again asleep. Matt let go of her wrists. He looked at her with a sad look. " Forgive my past. Please. I can't live without. Not again. " Matt moved the wicker chair closer to the bedside. He sat down and gently grasped Emily's hand. People are supposed to look peaceful when they are asleep but Emma's looked troubled. He had no idea what she had just seen. What she had just remembered.
There was a little boy. He looked around 12. He had silver hair and purplish eyes. He and Emma were sitting beside each other at a tall table. In the center of the table, a cake with a number 1 and 2 candles on top burning. There was a knock on the door that was too her right. " Kaey! " she said energetically. She ran to the door to greet him. It was the boy who saved her just two years earlier. His hair now reached his sholders. It was dark brown just like she remebered. It still had the copper flairs that she loved. " Hello Emma. How are you? " Kaey asked. Emma ran up and hugged him.
" I'm great! I've missed you! Where have you been? " little Emma asked excitedly. " Around. " Kaey replied. Emma took his hand as led him into the dinning room where Zuko sat looking curious but cautious. Emma smiled at him. " I want you to meet some one Z! This is- " Zuko looked at Kaey before Emma had said anything. Emma was standing infront of Kaey but Zuko didn't see her. He saw a wreched PureBlooded Getroes. The hellish creature that killed and destroyed everything he ever cared about. Destroyed his past. His life. " Getrose. " he said lowly. Before anyone knew what would happen, Zuko grabbed the knife, that would be used to cut the cake, and came running towards Kaey. Kaey put his hand infront of Emma's body. The knife went into the bottom of his wrist. He grimaced a little. " Zuko! " Phill yelled, his voice drowned in concern. Emma looked at Phil for the first time this evening. He looked so young. He had dark black hair with blue jets going through it in places. He took Zuko upstairs.
" Kaey! Your hurt! " Emma said. She ran into the other room and grabbed a small box that they kept under the sink. " Here. Sit down and I'll take care of that. " Kaey smiled know that she was just trying to help. He pulled the small knife out of his wound and set it on a towl on the table and sat down in the chair beside Emma. He pulled up his coat sleeve and watched as she worked without speaking. She took out a large roll of gauze and an alcohol wipe. " This is going to sting a bit. " she warned him. She took the alcohol pad and wiped the area around the wound then moved towards the center. To her surprise, he didn't even flinch. He just sat there watching her work. After she cleaned all the fesh blood away from the wound, she wrapped his arm with the roll of guaze. After she was done, he humured to himself that she didn't do too bad of a job, actually it was better that some school nurses. " Thank you Emma. It feels a lot better. " Emma nodded sadly and started throwing away the used materials and took the remaining supplys and put them back under the sink. She came back into the room but didn't sit down on the chair. " I'm sorry Kaey. " she said, her voice small. " I didn't think that he would know what you were. This was my fault. " She was still looking at the floor as she started walking away. Keay stood up and walked infront of her to make her stop walking. He kneeled so he look her in the face.
" This wasn't your fault. You had now idea how he would react to me being here. I should have expected it after what Head Master Keith told me. I'm sorry that you had to see that. I'm sure that he's not a bad person, he just needs some time. " Emma looked up at him. " Really? " Keay smiled. " Really. " Emma smiled and went upstairs. At the top of the stairs, Phil was waiting for her. " Em. He's upstairs in his room. You should go try to take care of his hand. I think he hurt it on his mirror. I need to talk to Keay. The upstairs kit is in his room on his bed. " Emma nodded and headed upstaris.
Emma opened the oak door and walked in looking around. Everything looked the same except the body length mirror in the corner near the window. Zuko was sitting on the floor at the end of his bed. She saw that his right hand was bleeding. She gasped. It had to hurt. She got into the first aid kit and got out some gauze, alcohol pads, and triple antibiotic. She kneeled down infront of him. He staired ahead like he had no clue that she was even there. " Here. I'm going to wrap your hand up so it will feel better. Okay? I'm just going to grab your hand so I can look at it... " Emma reached for his hand but she barely even touched it, he pulled it away quickly. There was still some glass stuck in his hand and when he pulled back, that glass cut Emma's hand a bit. Emma cried out. Zuko stood up quickly and started backing away. " Stay away from me you murderer! " he yelled. Emma raised her head to look at him. When he saw her eyes, his fury and fear melted and concern took it's place. " No. " he wispered. He came towards Emma who was still kneeling and nelt next to her. He took her in his arms and held her. " I'm sorry... I'm so sorry... I didn't mean it... " He started quietly sobbing as he held her trying to comfort her. The truth was, the boy that was trying to comfort her was actually geting comfort from her. She felt that if she moved a fraction of an inch, he would shatter and she would never be able to put him back together again if he did.

Yes, Zuko and Matt are the same person. Yes, he is ashamed for accidentaly hurting Emma when they were young.

" I'm sorry. I didn't mean it... " Emma whispered. Matt heard her and jumped up out of his chair and sat on the bed beside her. He took his hand and brushed a little of her hair out of her face. Her face was sweaty and cold. " Emma, " His eyes showed the concern and his voice showed the yearning for her to answer him. Emma's eye lids opened. Her hand instantly reached towards her bandaged head. " Uh, what happened? " Matt smiled. " You fell and hit your head on the table. You've been out for over an hour and a half. " Emma tried to sit up. " No, you need to stay laying down until we know what this did to your head. " Emma didn't listen to Matt though, she sat up. When she made it all the way up, her head started to swim. She started to fall but the cocoon of Matt's arms stopped her. " I told you you should have stayed down. " She kind of chuckled. " When have I listened to you? " she said. Matt didn't respond. He let her out of her warm protective concoon. He went to the doorway and called to Phil. Phil came back upstairs. He hastily made his way to the bedside. " Oh, thank God! " Phil shined a light in her eyes and checked her pulse. " Looks good Em. I'll go down and get you something to eat. "
After he left Matt grabbed a glass of water off the the dresser in the corner of the room. He then brought it ove to Emma. " Here. Drink this. " Emma smiled but listened. As she took the glass, she took a deep breath in. Her eyes widened. She knew that smell. It was a sweet, hay like, sadness smell that she had smelled before...in her dream. It was Zuko's smell. It was Matt's smell. She dropped the glass of water. It hit the floor and shattered. " No. " Emma started to get up out of bed. She put her feet on the floor and tried to stand up. She made it.
" Emma! What are you doing? " Matt rushed over to Emma just as she was going to take a step. Emma's leg didn't hold. She started to fall but Matt caught her. " I'm going to make myself useful. I hate just being there helpless. " Emma was angery but Matt was sure that it wasn't because she had to be waited on. " What's wrong? " " Nothing. " " Liar. " Emma tried to stand up again but this time she got way too dizzy. Matt carried her to the bed. She layed there for a couple of seconds without moving. Matt started cleaning up the broken glass and putting it in a trashcan she had in her room. " Matt? " Emma asked. Matt kept picking up glass. " Yeh? " Emma sighed. " What do you think a dream means? Like does it have a meaning in it? " Matt siged. " Somtimes. Sometimes it's better not to even wounder that. Do I even want to ask? " He picked up the last of the glass and took a towl off of her night stand they used to dry the sweat off of her after they gave her the seditive and started cleaning up the water. " Because...I think I saw you in a dream of mine. You were around 12. It was your birthday and my friend come to visit me. You... attacked him. For some reaseon, Phil and I were called you Zuko. Crazy I know but that's what I saw in my dream. "
Matt stopped cleaning up the water. He tosse the towl into the dirty cloths basket. He started walking towards the door way but stopped. He looked at Emma with almost a shameful expression. " Those weren't just dreams Emma. They were memories. Your memories. " Matt then walked out. Emma heard him going down the stair case. Phil later came in and sat at the end of her bed. He looked at Emma. " I think now it a good time to talk. "

Seeing is believing.

"What? You know Phil, I did hit my head but I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday! You really expect me to beleive that I got attacked by a vampire when I was little? " It wasn't that she did not want to believe this, she was just too scared to beleive it. So many questions were going through her head at the time. What if her parents were in that house fire? What if Keay wanted her blood? What if she wasn't who Phil said she was? What if Phil wasn't who he said her was? Phil sighed. " Em, pleas try to believe me. Pleas. " Matt walked into the room and looked at Phil as he ran a hand through his short peppered hair. Phil walked to Matt and wispered somthing in his ear. Matt took a deep breath. " Absolutly not. " "Please Matt. That is the only way that she is going to remeber. The only way she is going to believe. " Matt looked towards Emma. He looked angery and sad at the same time. " Ok. " he replied to Phil. Matt sat down on the bed beside Emma. " Em, I'm sorry. Pleas forgive me. " " I always will " Emma wispered. She did not know why, she just said it. She felt Matt's breath on her neck then what felt like a large needle going in two spots on her neck at once. She heard Matt drink somthing in a gulp. " Matt. " she wispered, tears streaming down her face. Matt leaned away from her with a weird look on his face, like he didn't know what emotion he was feeling. " I am sorry Emma. I should go. " Matt said. He then got up and left. She heard the bell on the door handle ring and a car engine start then fade. Phil stood there and just watched Emma. " Are you okay Emily? " Phil asked. Emma nodded. Thoses memmories were real. Zuko-Matt was a Getrose. Kaey was a Getrose. That house, she somehow knew that is was hers, did burn to the ground. Who was that woman then? Why was she on the swing beside a burning house? Why did this seem so close to the journal she was reading? Emma looked around her room and could not find the journal. Where was it? "Don't worry Emma. I am keeping it safe. " Emma became tired all a sudden. She had to sleep but what would sleep bring? Peace or memmories?