Genocide | Teen Ink

Genocide

By ObscureBeauty, Victoria, Other
ObscureBeauty, Victoria, Other

“We have to stop them! They’re causing a genocide, they’re targeting us! Our friends, our family! We have to do something,” Myrna screamed in Syn’s face. Tears streaked down her tiny face, her dark brown eyes full of sorrow and fear. She tightened her grip on Syn’s arms and snarled. She kept her grip strong and after several moments, she broke eye contact with her mate, her snarl turning into a sob and the fae burst into tears, her grip faltered and Myrna collapsed onto the hard ground. Her worst fears had surfaced recently, one after the other. Her heart had been broken, yet again, by the demon before her, and humans had grown conscious of what they were. As well as many others. And as humans, they have started to eliminate what they precede as a threat. They’d already killed over a hundred within the city limits, more so in the rest of the world. Myrna’s species was fae, but she belonged to a race called Immortals. Several species combined, including werewolves, demons, vampires, all of those things that…go bump in the night. A number of their friends had already been eliminated, these friends were their family, the people they trusted with their lives.
Myrna wept on the ground, curling herself up into a ball. Her sobs muffled by her arms. Syn hesitated for a moment, his icy blue eyes watered, threatening to follow the girl on the ground. He leaned down and wrapped Myrna in a hug. This girl was his mate, his best friend and formerly his girlfriend. She wept into his shoulder before taking a deep shaky breath and stopped crying. She wanted nothing more than to stay wrapped up in him, but she pushed away from him. “We have to do something,” she whispered and the demon nodded. “I know we’re not as strong without the others, but we aren’t all gone,” the fae prompted. Their family, their clan, Vae Victis still held the two of them, the werewolf, the jackal, the valkyrie and the blood mage.
Syn nodded slowly, unable to get a word past his lips. Myrna got up from the ground, her heart still too sore to be around him. She turned around and walked away as syn started to stand. The girl disappeared into the bushes around them, her pace quickened into a run and she tore through the foliage, getting as far away as safely possible. Myrna eventually reached a tree and she stopped. Glancing up at the limbs, the fae started to climb. She was small and light, her weight doing nothing against the branches. She continued to climb a good twenty feet off of the ground until she reached a peculiar branch that forked off in various directions, creating a nice seat for her to sit in.
Since the humans had waged a war on them, they weren’t safe in public areas, and could just barely get away with travelling under the cover of darkness. The fae brought her knees up to her chest and hugged them. Her eyes stared miserably out through the branches at the water tower in the distance. Myrna’s head started into over time, her thoughts getting a chance to catch up with her. She sighed before pulling a face of pure pain. She buried her face into her arms, muffling the sobs that followed. It took a while for her to calm down, but once she did she sighed heavily, hiccuping softly. Her thoughts were on Syn, they almost always were. She was in love with him, and he had broken her heart yet again, for the fifth time in just over a year. Her sadness contorted into a blinding anger, and she snapped off a branch on the tree. A shock went through her hand, something that happened when trees were harmed around her. Sighing again, Myrna shook her head, whispering her apologizes to the tree. She was about to drop the branch to the forest floor, when she stopped. Something had caught her attention. It was a someone, and a someone she did not know. Someone who was human…. and he carried a gun. Her gut dropped when she recognized just who the human was. Silently, she climbed down the tree as the human started to walk by it, a grin spreading across her lips. The fae pulled out her knife, her mother had given it to her. Her mother was one of the only human allies she had during this genocide. The man below her had been the human who had mercilessly killed Lucia, close friend, clan member and spell caster, right before her eyes.
A snarl ripped through her throat as she leaped from the tree, landing on the man’s back. She knocked him to the ground and with pure fury coursing through her veins, Myrna swiped the edge of the blade against his neck, crimson blood poured from his neck as his life depleted. The gun had been knocked from his hands and Myrna picked it up just as a rustle came from her right. Rage still pushing through her, she aimed the gun , her finger on the trigger. She stopped just before she pulled it, as her blood lust disappeared and Syn appeared in front of her. He stopped dead in his tracks and lifted his hands, wary of the girl with the gun. “Myrna…” he started, and something in the girl told her to pull the trigger. Instead of listening to it, she lowered the gun and glanced at the now dead human. “Are you okay?” Syn asked and Myrna shook her head before she dropped the weapon and turned away from her mentor.
“Myrna, we have to leave. There could be more coming any minute, I bet you he wasn’t alone. Come on, lets go meet up with the others.” Myrna glanced at the demon and nodded slowly. She wiped her nose with the sleeve of her sweater, her rage gone. Syn picked up the gun and switching the safety on, slipped it into the back of his jeans, next to his other gun. A small smile crept along Myrna’s lips, now he can dual wield, she thought and put her knife into her boot, which had also belonged to her mother.
The other were safe, well as safe as possible. Syn and Lavic had found an underground tunnel close to Myrna’s current location. They had modified it a bit, making it a bit more spacious and comfortable for everyone. They had created a haven for the clan, the entrance was on the side of the building by the water tower. The hole had been well covered, thanks to Myrna and her connection with the plants. Everyone had chipped in to protect it from unwanted eyes. Syn and Lavic had placed protective wards around the perimeter and the entrance, Stig had condoled with the spirits in the area to keep an eye out, Reanne had placed trip wires around the area, if a human were to stumble upon it, it would just lead them in the opposite direction, and Jose had cast a spell.
Racing through the bushes, the two immortals reached the tower and dipped into the building. Darkness engulfed the two of them, sending a slight panic through Myrna. Syn had no problem finding his way, but Myrna wasn’t quite as familiar. She followed behind him closely as they neared a dim light. Muffled voices were heard, and as Myrna entered the lit room, she looked at everyone. They all looked tired and overdue for some comfort. Stig caught her eye first, and Myrna gave her a flicker of a smile. She glanced at each and every one, Jose gave a small wave that Myrna ignored, Reanne returned the expression on Myrna’s face. Lavic was having a hushed conversation with Syn so she headed for her cubby, something she’d carved out herself. With earth being her element, Myrna was learning how to alter it and such. She climbed into her hole and curled up, ignoring everyone. Her dirty fingers traced the small roots from the plants above ground, wishing to go back outside. She looked up as Syn started to speak to everyone.
“Myrna killed a human that was in the area, there’s a possibility that our location has been infiltrated, but there hasn’t been any confirmation of that.” Myrna scowled and cut in, her tone not so nice.
“The only reason I killed him was because he was the son of a b**** that killed Lucia. I wasn’t going to let him get away and risk the lives of any of you,” she spat and got up from her hole. Syn shook his head at the angsty teenager and continued. Myrna ignored whatever he was saying and pushed past him, heading for the exit. “Myrna, come back,” he ordered but Myrna didn’t turn back. “Leave me alone, Syn,” she warned and disappeared into the dark tunnel. Of course, she would have loved if he followed, but right now that’s not what she needed. She just needed to get away, within reason. Reaching the exit, Myrna poked her head through to a clear area. She climbed out of the hole, the sun had started to go down, and darkness was arriving. Myrna’s favourite time of the day was right now. The sun setting, and the sun rising. She ran over to the water tower, and started to climb the ladder. Once she reached the height she wanted, she looped her arms through the rungs of the ladder and looked out at the mountains and the setting sun, wishing things weren’t like the way they were.
Myrna stared out for quite awhile, forgetting time and place, and before she knew it, the moon was in full against the black canvas, and the sounds of the night came to her ear. She closed her eyes briefly, and sighed heavily, tears streaming down her face yet again.

A sharp whistle sounded from below her, and she looked down at Lavic. “Come down,”’ he said and Myrna shook her head. “No thanks,” she replied and the werewolf sighed. “Come down, please?” Myrna shook her head again, but started down the ladder anyways. The metal was starting to freeze her, and she hated the cold. Once her feet touched the ground, she turned and looked at the boy in front of her. “I’m down. What do you want?” She asked, and Lavic shrugged. Growling, Myrna stalked away from him. He was so annoying sometimes, pretending to not have a reason for his actions. Myrna couldn’t stand it. “Myrna, come back.” “No Lavic, f*** off,” she replied harshly, her voice full of spite. She darted into the forest, knowing he would follow. She knew it wouldn’t be long until he caught up with her, but Myrna had the advantage. She was small, small enough to fit in places he couldn’t. She cut to the left suddenly and hopped through the space between two close trees. Lavic growled, but Myrna just chuckled as she landed on a wet patch of leaves, slipping and tumbling to the ground with a loud outburst. Lavic caught up and helped her. “You okay?” he asked and Myrna nodded swiftly. The good thing about Lavic was, he always made sure everyone was okay. She tried to leave again, but he wrapped her up in a bear hug, taking the breath out of her. Unlike Syn, Lavic gave giant crushing hugs that left you utterly breathless, due to the fact that he was a bulky individual. Syn was small and skinny, but Myrna proffered that. Their bodies fit together more, even though he was taller than her. Everyone was taller than her. But she didn’t mind; even though it stopped her from seeing over foliage. She was closer to her element this way, which suited the earth fae just fine. Once Lavic let go, Myrna moved away from him. “Was it really the guy who killed Lucia?” He asked, and Myrna nodded slowly. “Yeah, it was. I recognized his face, he was an ugly mother f*er,” she said dryly and Lavic reached for another hug. Myrna shook her head and looked at him. “Don’t. Don’t touch me, I don’t want to be touched.” “You would by Syn,” Lavic jabbed lightly, and she cringed. “No,” she replied and turned away. “Leave me alone, Lavic. I want to be alone.” She refused to turn back, and after a few moments she heard him leave. Soon enough, Myrna was alone in the forest. She didn’t move, she just sat down in the dirt. Luckily enough, there was no canopy of leaves over her and as she looked up at the moon, the fae closed her eyes. She prayed to the earth to help them. The evening was when Myrna was the most in tune with the world around her, the mid day being when her powers were strongest, due to the sunlight. Myrna let her fingers explore the ground around her, she felt the moss and the dirt, letting her fingers get more grubby. This, she didn’t mind. Dirt was her friend, she played in it when she was younger, always tracking dirt into the house, always having it on her face. After awhile, Myrna opened her eyes and started to get up. Myrna missed her home. She missed her city, but most of all she missed her mother. She wasn’t Myrna’s real mother, of course. She’d been born by her, and she looked just like her, but her mother was human…for the most part. She had a Sight, but that only came to her when she was intoxicated. Since the genocide started, Myrna had only been able to say goodbye to her. She’d asked for some help, and her mother gave her as much as she could. Her best knife, her s*** kicking boots, her good luck amulet and just for the extra measure, her mother had performed a smudging for Myrna, cleansing her for her survival. Sighing, Myrna started to head back to the base. She didn’t want to return, didn’t want to be around anyone, human or immortal. She’d rather see her mother, but that wasn’t possible right now. Besides, she was too far to travel alone. As she made her way through the darkness, her thoughts were interrupted by an air craft abover her. The clouds blocked whatever it was, but Myrna could tell it was a helicopter. A spark of anger ignited in her heart, the last time she had seen one of those, himans had come out and killed Vaan. They had aimed at Lucia, but Vaan had fought them to the end, refusing to let them hurt his mate, his love. He’d managed to kill several of the troops before a bullet caught him in the back. He had died almost instantly, but in front of Syn and Lavic. Lucia had been moved away with Myrna, she was supposed to get the spell caster far away. The humans saw her as a large threat, since she could cast magic and curses. She hadn’t found out about Vaan’s death until after the remaining humans evacuated. Being heart broken, Lucia ran into the forest, her head on revenge. Everyone had gone after her, Myrna had found her first. The human who had just killed her stood over her. The fae had hidden and was about to attack him when he disappeared into the forest as the others showed up. It was too dangerous to pursue him at the time, so Myrna turned to the others. Myrna had seen his face, it was etched into her mind. The helicopter flew in the opposite direction of the base, probably just the forest rangers or something, she thought and continued towards the base. The temperature had dropped a lot since the sun had gone down, and the fae rubbed her arms to keep herself warm, disliking the cold. Slipping into the entrance, Myrna stumbled through the dark tunnel, and once she was in the lit room, she counted heads. Everyone was there except for Syn, as usual. He was probably out doing something benefital. Climbing into her hole, she shivered as Lavic came up to her with a scratchy wool blanket. She took it without a word, just a nodded thanks, and wrapped herself up in it. They had quite a lot of supplies that they had managed to salvage from previous raids. Blankets, clothes, foods, bottles of water, a hot plate, weapons and even a wind up radio. Closing her eyes, Myrna was starting to doze off to sleep, her thoughts falling on Syn. Her mind replayed scenarios in her head, all of the good times she had remembered with him. A faint smile crept along her lips as she drifted into sleep, leaving the others to whatever they were doing. Myrna awoke to the sound of Syn’s voice, her eyes snapping open as she looked in his direction. He was arguing with Jose about food, and she could tell he was getting frustrated. It appeared they were low and would need more soon. Myrna yawned audibly so they knew she was awake and she sat up a bit. “Will you two cut it out?” She snapped and scowled at the two of them as she shivered. Another blanket had been placed on her, and she realized it was the one Syn used. She glanced at him guiltily and turned into the wall. With Myrna, it seemed if she wasn’t in a good mood towards the demon, she would be very hostile towards him. It pained the two of them, but she did ut anyways. Myrna looked at it as a defense mechanism to try and recover, but she hated it nonetheless. Syn muttered something to Jose before he left the burrow. Myrna glanced at the mage and climbed out of her hole. She stretched slightly before saying a good morning and leaving. Myrna stuck her head out of the entrance and was welcomed by the crisp winter air. The sun was beaming however, and it warmed her face briefly. Climbing out of the entrance and pushing past the plants, Myrna stretched and glanced around. Stig was sitting in the sun, soaking up the rays. “Good morning,” she greeted, and the Valkyrie returned the greeting. Myrna looked down at her clothes, her pants covered in dirt, her black sweater was brown, and her boots were all scuffed up. Running a hand through her dirty hair, Myrna frowned. She disliked dirty greasy hair, but hey there was nothing she could do about it. “Anything fun happening?” The fae asked, and Stig nodded, opening her eyes and looking at her. “Yeah, we’re all going raiding at night fall. The town isn’t too far from here, and we’re running low and supplies. Syn discussed it last night while you were asleep, and no one had the heart to wake you. Lavic tried but you ended up punching him in the face.” Myrna giggled, and nodded her head. Sounded about right. “Alright, well I gotta pee, I’ll see you later,” she said and disappered into the bushes again, finding a right spot to stop.

After Myrna finished, she stretched some more and yawned. Not wanting to head back to the base, the fae sought out the river that was near by. Trudging through bushes, and almost falling into an animal hole, Myrna reached the river, the rocks along the shore scratched together as she walked over them, always disliking that sound. Myrna stared into the water. The river wasn’t super big, only ten feet from each shore, but Myrna had a feeling the middle was as deep as she was tall.
Zoning out, the fae got lost in her head as she walked along the shore of the river, thinking about whatever crossed her mind. Unbeknownst to her, a man was on the other side of the river several feet ahead of her, and she didn’t see him, or what he was holding. A rifle was aimed at her, the human centimeters away from pulling the trigger. A sharp caw of a crow came from Myrna’s left and she jumped just as the bullet was released from the chamber. It nearly got her, skimming over her sweater and grazing skin. Myrna turned and ran into the forest, unsure of where she was. Adrenaline coursed through her veins as she ran, her mind a blur. The fae was worried that the man wasn’t alone. I hope the others are okay, she thought as she ran through the woods, hurdling over fallen tree trunks and fitting through narrow trees. The man had been on the other side of the river, so if he was following her, she had the advantage to get away. Stopping to catch her breath, air feeling like liquid fire in her lungs as she tried to steady her breathing. She had no idea where the base was, her coordinated were messed up and she couldn’t see the water tower in her view. F***, she growled in her head and looked around. Fear and anxiety hit her and she backed into a cedar tree, trying to calm herself down. Taking deep breaths, she heard someone moving through the forest towards her. Her pulse pounded in her ears as she reached for her knife. Myrna gripped it just as the person walked by her, the fae lunged to attack, before she realized who she had almost harmed-again.
“Syn!” Myrna hissed, and thankful to see it was him and not some human, she wrapped her arms around his neck tightly, burying her face in his shoulder. She held herself for a moment before she let go. “There’s humans in the forest, I got shot at by the river, I’m okay though,” Myrna said quickly, realizing the last part was a lie as she felt a warmth on her upper arm. The bullet must have cut the skin, hopefully not too deep.
“Where is everyone else?” Myrna asked in a shrill voice, fear masking her words as she trembled slightly. “They’ve already left,” Syn replied. “Reanne smelled them right away and we got everyone to leave. We found a place to stay until later, and I came back to look for you,” he said and grabbed his mate’s hand. “Come on, we have to go,” the demon said and Myrna followed after him, staying in pace as they ran, thanks to her adrenaline.
They ran for a mile before stopping. Syn walked over to a drop off and looked back at Myrna. “Over here,” he said and the fae stood beside him, looking down. She didn’t see anything until Syn started to climb down. Myrna watched as roots grew out of the ground to be used as foot holds-she didn’t want him to fall, and she wasn’t sure what he was doing still. He disappeared into the face of rock, and Myrna followed after. There was a small cave! She followed him in, where everyone else was. Everyone seemed safe, at least she hoped everyone was.
“It’s temporary,” Syn said and she nodded, sitting down by the entrance and glancing out. Myrna brought her knees to her chest and closed her eyes. Not only did they need supplies, now they needed a new base. Opening her eyes with a sigh, Myrna looked at the others. Syn begun talking more about the raid later tonight, and Myrna drowned him out. She should be listening, but she just couldn’t. Her shoulder started to hurt, and she remembered that she’d been shot at. Pulling her sweater off, Myrna glanced at the sleeve of her shirt, bright red from the blood. “Oh gods,” she sighed and looked at the others. “Hey, sorry to interrupt but I need some help.” Myrna looked at Syn, and looking at the blood, the demon’s face paled slightly. Myrna managed to pull her sleeve up as far as she could and she looked at her wound. It wasn’t deep, but there was a fair amount of blood.
“You’ll be fine,” Syn said and Myrna nodded. She made a mental note to grab as much medical supplies as she could. Taking her knife out of her boot, Myrna dealt with her wound herself, cleaning it out with the sleeve of her shirt after she’d cut it off. With minor difficulty, the girl managed to wrap the fabric around her wound and tied it in place. Running a hand over her face, Myrna looked back outside. A helicopter flew over head and she cringed.
The sun was high in the sky, suggesting just after midday. They’d be leaving soon, and Myrna looked at Syn. Something told her he had a plan up his sleeve, and that worried her. He always made her worry. Worry for his safety, she rolled her eyes and turned her head back to look outside.

Logan shook the small white flakes from his dark brown hair, the snow started to cling to him in little clumps of white. It had only just begun snowing, the boy loved the snow-this being his favourite time of the year and all. The sun had set long ago, the temperature had dropped, but still the boy didn’t mind. New Years was in full swing. It was just after one in the morning, and Logan was returning home from hanging out with his friends. He walked along the narrow road, sirens off in the distance. That piqued his interest, but he focused on the street in front of him, careful not to slip on any of the cold ice. He was the only one around, at least he thought he was the only one around, that was until a small girl came running out of a house in front of Logan. She ran right into him, not watching where she was going, her gaze had been over her shoulder. Her arms were full of clothes and food, which she had dropped all around her and Logan.
“S***! Uh, sorry,” she stammered quickly as she scrambled to pick up her load, not meeting the boy’s gaze. “Here,” he said and helped her. The house door opened and a man came out, yelling at the two of them.
“Hey! Get back here with my stuff you little thief!” He growled and bounded down the steps. The girl jumped and ran down the street towards the corner. Logan followed, running after her. He was still holding a sweater, a bottle of something and a box of crackers. The man had stayed on their heels for a few feet but he slowed down and soon stopped, yelling something into the darkness. Logan called out towards the girl as she rounded the corner. “Hey, wait up! I have some of your stuff,” the boy said as he turned the corner. As soon as the boy turned it, he found himself being pushed up against the cement building, the sharp prick of a blade against his skin as he stared at the girl holding the weapon. Dropping what he was holding, Logan put his hands up and looked at the girl with bewilderment. Her eyes blazed with rage and sorrow, a snarl ripped through her throat, contorting her face into something terrifying. She looked older than he had first assumed, her size made her look younger than her face did. Her face sported a scar that ran from her cheek bone down the side of her face. Her dark eyes burned with pain, her entire body Logan realized was covered in mud and dirt. Her hair, he realized, was messy and from their close quarters, he smelled the forest on her.
“Why did you follow me? What does someone of the likes of you want?” She hissed, disgust covered her face as she leaned closer, the blade pressing more against Logan’s neck. He swallowed as the blade dug in, answering the fearsome girl.
“I…I was just giving your things back, you forgot them,” he confessed and the girl narrowed her eyes before removing her knife from him. Looking at the stuff on the ground, the girl picked them up and glanced at the boy.
“Do you need any help?” Logan asked, and the girl shook her head quickly. “No, thank you,” she muttered. Logan could have left then and there, but he stayed his ground. She’d probably deny it, but Logan thought that she needed help. There was also something about her, the boy realized, that made him want to stay around this girl.
“Hey, you know my place isn’t that far from here. It looks like you might want a shower and a meal…” Surprise sparked on the girl’s face as she shook her head. “No, thank you,” she muttered and started to leave. Logan took a step forwards, toward the girl, when she stopped and turned back. “Wait, yes,” she said matter of factly and walked back to him, making the boy nod.
“Okay, it’s actually just over there at the end of the block, come on,” he said and started to lead the way. “I’m Logan, by the way,” the boy said and the girl hesitated for a moment. “Myrna,” she said quietly with a nod, casting her eyes to the ground. Logan smiled softly, what a pretty name, he thought and pulled out his key from his jeans pocket. As Logan opened the door, his face flushed slightly in embarrassment, the footwear of his family was all over the place. He kicked a few out of the way, shaking snow off of himself as he closed the door behind Myrna. Glancing at the girl, she looked very unsure of herself as she stood in the entrance way. “Come in, please. Don’t worry, my brothers aren’t home,” Logan said, realizing he probably sounded pretty creepy. Sighing, he shook his head. “Make yourself at home, Myrna,” he said, her name rolling off his tongue softly, a small smile touched his lips. Shaking his head and coughing, Logan pointed towards the bathroom. “There’s fresh towels in the bathroom, help yourself to whatever.” “Thank you,” Myrna said softly with a tentative smile, and slipped past Logan. He watched her go into the bathroom and shut the door behind her. What an interesting evening, he thought as he heard the shower turn on. More yet, what an interesting girl, he thought to himself as he recalled her appearance. She was short, almost a foot shorter than himself, and he was almost six feet tall. Under the mud and dirt, he suspected that she was fairly attractive. Even covered in dirt, there was something about her that pulled on his heart. There had been blood on the side of her neck though, and a bandage was around her arm, Logan had noticed as he walked into his kitchen. It was fairly large, as kitchens go. It was equipped with an island in the middle of it, pots hanging above it. Logan grabbed one and placed it on the electric stove behind him. He rummaged through the cupboards and found two boxes of Kraft dinner. He put them on the counter beside the stove and filled the pot up with water. Turning the burner on high, Logan leaned against the island, waiting for the water to boil.
In the shower, Myrna tilted her head up and let the water cover her small body. It was a sensation that she had missed. The water tickled her skin, and when she looked down at her toes, the water surrounding them was muddy. Wow! I really was dirty, she thought and grabbed the bar of soap. The boy who had, and still was helping her intrigued Myrna. His name was Logan, and he was human…Why had he helped her? Myrna wondered as she rubbed the soap against her. She had stolen that stuff after all, she was sure he’d known that. Maybe he just assumes I’m human like him, she concluded. As the fae rubbed the suds on her flesh, she thought about the night. Anger surged through her, closely followed by sadness as she recalled the events that led her to this very shower. The raid had gone on as planned. They had all gone into the city right before night fall. They managed to buy few of what they needed, with the money they had. Myrna hadn’t managed to get much information about what the humans knew about them. Then, Syn had gone on his own mission. Myrna was infuriated that he hadn’t told her… Ignoring his absence, she had continued with the others, deciding to split off into groups. She was paired up with Jose and Lavic, although the fae proffered to be solitary. They broke into several stores and houses, filling their bags with the supplies they needed. In a convenience store, the owner had clued in to what they were and alerted the authorities. By the time they managed to get away, there were blockades set around the perimeter. Myrna had a feeling this was going to get really messy, really fast. The three of them had managed to get a good distance away, when a barrage of bullets fell upon them. Their attempt to get away faltered. Lavic had been shot in the arm, Myrna just missed getting her head blown off as a bullet whizzed past her ear, the sound of it had caused her hearing to go fuzzy, which was still not as it should be. The bullet grazed her ear, and as she remembered that, her ear started to throb against the water. Myrna flinched as she recalled what had happened to Jose. A bullet caught her in the back, sending her tumbling to the ground. “Jose!” Myrna yelled out and stopped, kneeling down to her friend. The mage had rolled over and looked up at Myrna. “Go!” She said and coughed, wincing from the pain as she convulsed a few times. “It’s too late for me, just go. You and Lavic have to get away and find the others,” she said breathing hard. Jose smiled once and closed her eyes. Myrna stayed there for a moment longer saying a silent goodbye as a bullet hit the ground beside her, sending dirt everywhere, jolting her back into the now. Lavic had grabbed her arm and pulled her up as Myrna grabbed Jose’s bag and passed it to him. The two of them took off in a dead run as the weather worsened, snow threatening to show up, Myrna could feel it in her bones. She ran through the streets and yards, darting down roads and losing any possible pursuers. “I’m going to get Syn,” Lavic said after they stopped to catch their breath. “Will you be okay?” “Yeah,” she said quietly.
“Okay, stay here Myrna, I’ll be back to get you with Syn,” Lavic said. She couldn’t travel as fast as him or the demon, so her staying back would be more beneficial. Lavic hugged the tiny fae and then left, leaving the girl to herself. She watched her friend leave and turned to her suroundings to scope it out. It was here that she decided to busy herself with more raiding. As the snow flakes began to fall, Myrna chose the house where she would run into Logan.
Blinking, Myrna looked down at her toes and put the soap away. She turned around under the stream of water, letting the liquid wash away the suds from her skin. Grabbing the shampoo, she squirted some into the palm of her hand. Putting the bottle back, Myrna rubbed her palms together, making the shampoo lather a bit before she ran it through her hair. As she rinsed out her hair and reached for the conditioner, she wondered if Logan really did know what she was and if he had alerted anyone or not. Fear sparked trough her, but as she worked the sweet scented goo into her hair, Myrna had a feeling she was just over thinking, and that she could trust this human. A feeling she didn’t feel often, especially with humans. After she had rinsed everything from her hair, Myrna shut the water off and pulled the curtain back, grabbing her towel. Running the towel through her wet clean hair, Myrna bumped her ear and a new wave of pain surged through her. Biting down on her teeth, Myrna continued to dry off the rest of her body, and once she was satisfied, the girl stepped out of the tub. As well as her ear, her arm throbbed as well and she looked at the bandage as she removed it. Luckily as she was to not have any bullet actually go through her, she sighed. She’d been shot at so much today, she didn’t want any more casualties either. Wiping the mirror of steam, the girl surprised herself. She hadn’t seen a clean reflection of herself in ages. Leaning closer to the glass, she fingered the scar on her cheek. She’d acquired it while play fighting with Syn. It had gotten intense and he had pulled out his knife, like he always did, in an attempt to scare the girl. Having the blade flushed against her skin, Myrna had moved against it and it had cut her. Syn had gotten upset after that, and even as she tried to tell him that it was okay, she knew he’d hate himself more. Looking at the scar, she smiled slightly. It gave her a rougher look, and she didn’t mind. It wasn’t an ugly scar, it wasn’t deep, it was just there. It was small too, like her, so it kind of worked for her benefit. Turning to her stuff, Myrna went through it and pulled out a shirt that she slipped over her skin. The fae pulled her jeans on, not caring how dirty they were. She grabbed the sweater she had stolen and pulled it on, it was big on her, making her look smaller than she really was. Hanging up her towel, Myrna left the bathroom, the smell of KD hit her, and she smiled as she made her way to the kitchen where Logan was just putting the food into bowls for the two of them.
“Hey, have a nice shower?” He asked, and Myrna nodded. “Yes, thank you,” she said and sat at the island. Logan put a fork into her bowl and passed it to her. “I hope you like it,” the boy said and say across from her. Myrna took a bite and smiled. “It’s amazing,” she said through a mouthful of food. It had been a while since she’d eaten anything as good as that, and her stomach roared in satisfaction.
Through her bangs, Myrna could see Logan was gazing at her. She looked up and met his gaze.
“So what were you doing out there anyways?” Logan asked.

Myrna suspected that he’d ask her that. She took another bite of her KD. “I was hanging out with some friends, being teenagers, y’know? I got separated from them though, but it’s fine, I’ll see them soon enough.”
“What about uh, the thievery?” Logan asked cautiously and Myrna grinned. “Who knows, maybe I’m a klepto,” she lied. “Do you always invite strangers into your house?” Myrna asked, turning the interrogation around. Logan shook his head. “No, but I figured you could use some help,” he said before taking a mouthful of food. Myrna smiled at that and nodded her head.
“Yeah well, thanks.” She said and busied herself with eating the rest of her meal. “So who all lives here?” the fae questioned, glancing around. Logan finished his bowl and put it in the sink as he said, “just my younger sister, my older brother, my mother and myself. Come on, I’ll show you around,” the boy said and Myrna climbed off her stool and followed him into the living room.
“Do you live around here?” Logan asked her, and she shook her head. “No… I’m from out of town. Actually, my friends and I were camping, but the weather started to get ugly,” Myrna replied.
“Ugly? How can snow be ugly?” he asked. “It’s so beautiful.” “Sure it is, but its also cold, wet and holds the potential to be very unpleasant,” Myrna replied matter of factly. The boy shrugged, she was right, from the pessimistic point of view.
“Alright… well anyways, this is the living room, that was the kitchen, obviously… You already know where the bathroom is, my brother’s room is the one beside the bathroom, beside that is my sister’s room. My mom’s is upstairs and mine is on the other side of the house by the kitchen,” Logan said touring the fae around the house.
“So you were camping? Have you heard about any of those dangerous uh, people? What were they calling them…mutants or something.”
He’s talking about the immortals, Myrna realized and shrugged. “Yeah, I heard about them. They don’t seem that dangerous. I mean, why wipe them out? Apparently they’re all over the place, why not just let them be in peace?” Myrna wondered, judging Logan’s reaction. He didn’t seem to dislike them, which was good, Myrna thought.
“I guess, but they’re still dangerous,” Logan continued, returning to the living room and sitting down on the sofa. Myrna sat on the other side of the furniture, thinking about Syn. He was pretty dangerous, but then again, he was also a demon with a lot going on. She on the other hand was fairly benign. Myrna shook her head and shrugged. “Yeah, I suppose.” She didn’t want to get into an argument, especially on such a risky topic.
She watched Logan play with the remotes, trying to find something on the television. Myrna wasn’t very interested in that, she was gazing around the room looking at various pieces of art work and pictures. Out of the corner of her eye, Myrna noticed movement from outside and the hairs on the back of her neck rose.
She noticed another movement, that of a figure and she grew cautious of what it was, even though her curiosity prompted her to investigate. Deciding to ignore whatever it was, she yawned loudly and Logan glanced over at her.
“Tired?”
“Exhausted,” Myrna replied rubbing her eyes. She wondered if she should stay or if she should go find the others. Remembering it was snowing outside, Myrna sunk into her spot on the couch a bit more, deciding she’d better stay lest she freeze to death.
“I can make up a bed for you, the couch is pretty comfortable,” Logan said getting up from his spot. The girl nodded, that sounded like a good idea, she thought and watched as he pulled a fleece blanket and a pillow from the hallway closet and pass them to her. She took them, a musty smell coming from the pillow, guessing that it hadn’t been used in awhile.
“Thanks,” Myrna said as she got under the blanket and curled up on the couch, stifling another yawn as she smiled. Logan nodded and dimmed the lights.
“You’re welcome, good night,” he said and Myrna bid him the same. Logan headed towards his room, his mind on the girl. What a weird night, he thought and climbed into his bed.
Myrna lay on the couch for awhile, sleep evading her like the plague. She listened to the sounds outside, not that there were much sound. A branch rattled against the window, a soft tap tap as Myrna glanced at the window. The soft glow from a streetlight illuminated some of the outside world. As she stared at the window, something passed over it, a figure like from before. Burying her head under the blankets, Myrna closed her eyes. Her heart picked up speed and she tried to remain calm, listening as closely as she could with the sound of the blood in her ears.
The tapping of the branch stopped briefly, followed by a more brisk tap. Swallowing her fears, Myrna glanced over the top of the blanket and looked at the familiar silhouette of her mate.
Growling, Myrna pulled the covers off of her and got off the couch, heading to the window. She stood in front of it for a moment, debating on whether she should open it or not. Before she could decide, she was already opening up the window. She pulled it up and looked at Syn.
“Hello,” she said quietly and leaned out of the frame a bit, the cold berating her skin with an unwelcome touch. Resisting the urge to pull herself back in, Myrna looked at the demon in the dim light as snow landed on his sweater.
“So you are here,” he replied mostly to himself. “Yeah, is everyone okay?”
“Mostly, we found a place just outside of the city, in the basement of an abandoned house. Lavic told me what happened, and since you weren’t with anyone else I went to look for you,” again, Myrna almost heard him say. She scrunched up her face and breathed out of her nose, the warm air billowing around her.
“I suppose you want me to come with you now, then?”
“Yes,” Syn said quietly and Myrna bit her lip. She really didn’t want to leave yet, it was warm inside. But if she left now, she’d be able to be with the others, and she wouldn’t have to say an awkward goodbye to Logan in the morning.
“Okay, just a second,” she said and closed the window to keep the heat in. She placed her hand on the glass for a brief moment and went to gather her belongings that she had put in the living room. Walking quietly into the kitchen, Myrna scribbled on the note pad on the fridge.
Logan,
Thank you, sorry I had to leave without saying goodbye.
-Myrna.
The fae put the pen down and tiptoed out of the room, her feet making no noise.
Once her bag was slung over her shoulder, and she had put another layer of clothes on as well as gloves, Myrna opened the window once more and climbed over the frame. She landed on an uneven part of ground and slid. She would have fallen back if Syn hadn’t caught her. He helped her up and even took her bag for her. In the darkness, Myrna smiled softly. “Thanks,” she replied and followed him onto the road.

As the two immortals left the neighbourhood, climibing fences and cutting through yards, they reached the bridge on the highway. “Over or under?” Myrna asked and Syn and her looked at the traffic, plus the snow, it’d be pretty dangerous.
“Under,” Syn said and the two of them slid down the embankment. The river rushed past them, the waters black and slightly higher from the weather. As they hopped rocks and helped each other across the river and under the bridge, Myrna slipped on a rock, sending her hands out she landed on another rock, pain jolted up her arms and she squeaked in pain, grimacing as Syn turned around and helped her up. “Are you okay?”
“Other than my palm, yeah,” the fae replied and looked at her hand under the dim light of the highway. It wasn’t bleeding, but it was scratched up, the bone of her wrist throbbing from the impact on the stone. Shaking her hand, she went to put it into her pocket. Syn grabbed her hand and looked it over. He laced his fingers with hers and they continued towards their base hand in hand. Myrna’s hand burned like fire in his warm grip, but she didn’t pull her hand away.
“How much further?” “Ten minutes,” Syn replied. They’d finally left the city behind so they were back in the forest. Snow covered the branches and ground, the coldness making Myrna shiver.
“Where did you go?” Myrna asked Syn, referring to his secret mission away from everyone else. She was still sour that he hadn’t told her, but it didn’t matter.
“I went to get weapons for us,” the demon said with a tentative smile. Myrna wondered what he had grabbed, but she kept her mouth quiet. Squeezing her hand in his, she grew silent as they trudged through the bushes, the snow clung to them and seeped through her jeans and sweater.
“Here it is,” Syn said and Myrna looked through the bushes at the small cabin. It was perfect.
Myrna let go of Syn’s hand and wrapped her arms around herself. Dim light came from the cabin and she glanced around the area.
“There’s wards and spells up shielding us from any and all human contact. It was hard since Jose…” He trailed off and Myrna took a shaky breath, “but they’ll work.” Syn finished and Myrna opened the door to the cabin. Inside, Reanne and Stig were huddled around the fireplace, something Myrna realized they could only ever have lit in the middle of the night.
Lavic was sitting in a corner, he looked like he was sleeping, but then again he probably wasn’t, Myrna thought with a faint smile. She sat in one of the arm chairs, turning it to face the fire and she laid her head on the other arm as she curled up into a ball. “Where were you?” Stig asked, looking over at the fae.
“Surviving,” the little one replied with a yawn and closed her eyes, listening to the fire eat at the wood, the crackling and popping putting her mind at ease. Before she knew it, Myrna was fast asleep as Syn grabbed a blanket and draped it over her. She clutched it in one hand and smiled faintly.
The figure stood before her, it was male, but who it was, Myrna could not tell. Their face was covered in blackness, and their shape was so altered that the fae had no idea who it was.
“Who are you?” She asked curiously, cocking her head to the side. She blinked several times, her movements slow and groggy. Around her was the forest, but there were details that stuck out to Myrna, details that were never there before. The trees twisted towards the sky, their branches menacing looking. Vines grew from the ground, entwining around the trees. A small rabbit hopped out of some bushes and Myrna watched as the vines attacked the creature, twisting around it and snapping it’s neck. With a shiver, Myrna watched as the vines pulled the animal back into the bushes. The figure in front of her moved, and Myrna looked back up at him. She repeated her question, but he didn’t reply. As he stepped towards her, Myrna tried to take a step back, only to find the vines were wrapping around her legs. She tried to tell them to leave her alone, but they wouldn’t listen. There was something different about these plants, something sinister, something the fae couldn’t control. Swallowing, she tugged on her legs, but they kept climbing up her body, wrapping around her thighs and hips and ending as several of them wrapped around her shoulders. Myrna could still move, but her movements were limited. Panicking, the girl tried to pull free when the figure spoke.
“Don’t struggle,” it said, the voice sounding familiar, but she couldn’t pin point who from.
He stood in front of her now, a smile formed on his mouth, the only feature she could see. Reaching out with a clawed hand, Myrna winced and shut her eyes as a soft, almost velvety feeling touched her skin. Opening her eyes, the girl realized it was the hand. It was soft and comforting. The vines moved slightly against her skin, adjusting it’s grip on her.
Her heart racing, Myrna looked up at the figure as he caressed the side of her face. She wasn’t sure what was happening, and she wasn’t sure if she enjoyed it.
“Sssh,” he cooed softly and Myrna’s feeling of uneasiness washed away. “Who are you?” She whispered again, her voice barely audible and shaking.
“I’ve been waiting for you,” he replied and leaned towards her. Blood thundering in her ears, Myrna watched as the figure brought his face close to hers, his smell musky and earthy. Biting down on her lower lip, the figure stopped inches from her face. With a growl, the figure bent in more and clamped his jaws around Myrna’s neck. She cried out, a mixture of pain and pleasure exploded from the spot and she cringed as he bit her again. His mouth sucked on her neck and after a moment he stopped and straightened his head. Myrna quivered, thankful for the vines keeping her up. With much strength, the figure pressed his warm lips against hers, and she kissed him back, mouths moving against each other. The male grasped her head in his hands and kissed her harder, taking her breath away. Closing her eyes, Myrna returned the kisses with just as much eagerness, her mind reeling on who in the world this could be.
Just as her mind was starting to remember, the figure bit her neck again, hard, and she uttered a cry of pain as the vines squeezed her, growing up her body as they began to engulf her. With a startled look, Myrna thrashed against the vines, trying to break loose.
“Wake up,” the figure said softly in her ear as the vines closed over her.
With a startled jump, Myrna opened her eyes to find that daylight had broke, the fire was long out, and everyone was gone. They had all gone outside to do whatever it was they were supposed to do. Myrna shivered and pulled the blanket around her. She recalled her dream, the pain in her neck still imminent as she rubbed it. Climbing off of the large chair she had fallen asleep on, Myrna stretched, her muscles aching from the night before.
Finding the bathroom, the fae opened the door and walked into it. She looked at the grimy mirror and with the sleeve of her sweater, she wiped some of the grit away as she looked at her neck. A large bite mark was apparent on her neck, and her stomach dropped. What the f***? Never before had that happened to her, her dreams were never that real. Maybe she’d actually been bitten by one of the others, which Myrna thought was weird. The only one who would bite her like that was Syn…but it hadn’t been him. Shaking slightly, Myrna shook her head and left the bathroom.