The Lord's Daughter | Teen Ink

The Lord's Daughter

February 1, 2012
By Author4Ever BRONZE, Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
More by this author
Author4Ever BRONZE, Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
I am not always right, but never wrong.


Magic. What do you think when I write the word magic? Harry Potter , death defying magic “tricks”, a cheap magician? This is not that kind of magic...


My name is Fallyn Ash Nighte. I am 12 years old and my thoughts of everything around me has forever altered...


2 days ago...



My mother shook me awake. Her eyes were wild and her hair was everywhere and she was still in her nightgown.

“We have to leave... Now!”
She set my little sister Lily Raine who was 3, on my bed.

“Pack clothes for 3 days, several books or things to entertain yourself, your laptop, and you’ll need your hairbrush, and toothbrush” she told me.
I packed what I needed in my duffle bag.
“Mommy why do we have to weave?” asked Lily.

“I’ll tell you in the car” she said as she waved her had dismissively.
We ran to our black SUV and climbed in. When my closed my door my mother backed out of our driveway. Then we started so fast, that I rammed my head into the dashboard.

“Ow, that-”
I stopped in the middle of my sentence because I heard an earsplitting roar of a lion.

Lily screamed in horror as I looked around and saw a large lion running after us. Then it stopped and spewed a jet of fire. I noticed it had several different heads, a goat and a viper snapping and looking just as vicious as the lion.

“Is that a Chimera?” I screamed at my mom.
She nodded and pressed down on the execrator.

“What’s going on?” I demanded.
“Your father, is a magician.” she said.

“You said dad died in a car crash!” I yelled at her.
“That, that was a lie. Your father and I planned that, it was to protect you. Evil people were about, and they were looking for your father. We had to fake his death so that everyone would think he was dead. Except, tonight a powerful magician found out that your father was still alive. So, he sent that Chimera after us. But, there is a safe haven for kids like you, children born to magic. You will learn about how to control and channel your power.” she said solemnly.
“But I have never channeled my power before!” I exclaimed.
“Oh yes you have. Do you remember when you got the news the your dad “died” when you were 9.”
“A piece of paper went up in flames. You don’t mean to say, I did that?” I asked.
She nodded.

“Well then, can’t I just blow up the Chimera and we are home free?” I asked.
“You could do that, but it would be very dangerous, you could accidentally blow up are own car instead of the Chimera.” she warned.
“Well, I have to do something before that thing torches us.” I retorted.

“Are you sure?” my mom asked tentatively.
“Yes,” I answered.


I closed my eyes I fed my anger and frustration at the Chimera to help fuel the spell. I imagined a large explosion and the Chimera going up in flames and being consumed.
BOOM!
Lily screamed, again.
“DRIVE!” I yelled.
My mom sped away from the burning Chimera roaring in pain and it dissolved. No, not just vanished, it slowly formed ashes and got swept away by the wind.
“I did it! I actually did it!” I screamed.
My mom made a funny face at me.
“What?” I demanded.
“Your as pale as a ghost.” she said.
I shrugged.
I felt like I could do that all day. I didn’t tell her that though.
Then I suddenly remembered Lily.
“Is Lily going to this place too?”I asked.
“No,”she said.
“Why?! Lily is as vulnerable as me if not more!”I exclaimed.
“She can’t control herself now.” my mom said without looking at me.

“But she can’t protect herself! What will happen if another monster comes knocking on your door. Lily can’t protect you guys, you even said it yourself. She can’t control her power. She has to go!” I told her.
“I thought you would say that.” she answered.

“Mommy, I want to go with Fallyn.” Lily pouted.
“Okay, Lily you can go-”

“Yeah!” Lily interrupted.
“Only if you promise to behave and you cannot go home no matter how much you want to. Once you are exposed to magic, there is no turning back. Your sister can email me though or Skype or something like that.” she said to Lily.
“Okay, I’m still going.” said Lily.
“How much farther?” I asked.
“About a mile.” my mother answered.
I ended up falling asleep and was shaken awake by my mom.
“We’re here,”she said grimly.
The was a huge black, iron gate and a stone wall surrounding a building and grounds.
“Go to the gate and state your full name and Lily’s full name and they should let you in. I sent the teachers a notice we were coming.” my mother told me.
I grabbed my duffel bag and Lily’s bag.
A black shadow was behind the gate, “State your name.” said a gruff voice.
“My name is Fallyn Ash Nighte and my little sister’s name is Lily Raine Nighte.” I said.
“Lord Nighte’s children, eh. Follow me.” the voice said.
The black gates swung open. I turned around and said to Mom “Love you, bye.”
The gates swung shut behind me.

“You’ll be staying in the dorm to my left here, the building of sorceresses. Normally you and your sister would have different dorm rooms but, the Headmistress orders children under 7 must be with a sibling or older student so, she’s stuck with you.” Said the man.
“Okay, we’ll be off then.” I said starting toward the building.
“Hold on there. I forgot to give you two things, your currency card and you ID card. Your currency card has about 1 million dollars on it, but you will be stuck here for 6 more years, so I wouldn’t spend it all if I were you. Your ID card gets you into the dorm rooms and some other places such as, the library, and battle arenas. You have one for you sister and one for you. Ah, here’s Hazela.” the man said.
A girl about my age walked up, she must be Hazela, I thought. Hazela had caramel color skin and light brown hair wrapped into a bun at the nape of her neck. She had on a simple olive green t-shirt, and a long flowing skirt, with greens and browns of summer. She made me look way underdressed in my jeans and graphic tee with my hair in a braid down my back. She reminded me of a foreign princess.
“Hello! Welcome to (name of Academy will think of later...)” Hazela said smiling.
“So, is this place like, a town?” I asked lamely.
“Oh yeah! There are shops everywhere, but you get served Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. There’s a chocolate shop though, for snacks and stuff.” she said.
“So, I swipe my card, right.” I asked.
“Yeah, but I can’t get in, even with swiping my card. They only let in people who actually have a dorm in there. Except if an other person let’s them in.” Hazela told me.
“So, see you later?”
“Bye!” Hazela said cheerfully.

I swiped my card in the slot and the door clicked open. If the lobby was impressive, the dorms must be too. There was several plasmas blaring talk shows and reality TV and girls plopped down on the sofa. I saw a desk and an older girl sitting at it reading a book.
“Um, I’m new and I don’t know where my dorm is.” I told her.
“I’m Jemma, the what you would call guard here.” She said.
“Okay,” I said.
“Name,” asked Jemma.
“Fallyn Nighte and Lily Nighte.” I said.
“2nd Floor, number 66.” She said.
“Thanks,”I said as I started climbing the stairs.

I slid my card in the slot for my card and I turned the handle and I pushed on it. I dropped the bags and my mouth fell open. It was my dream room. A bookcase stood with all of my favorite books, a desk complete with pencils, pens, and art supplies, a polka dotted comforter and matching pillows, and a humongous dry erase board on the wall right next to my bed, and what I thought was so cool, owls hanging from my ceiling. (I blame my addiction with owls) Lily’s side wasn’t that exciting but, she seemed to like it.
I placed my laptop on my desk and got it out. I checked out my email, I had 15 emails. The first one was from my friend Claire, it said,
Fall,

Where are you? You haven’t showed up for school!! What’s up? You sick or something

-Claire

I answered with,

Claire,

I’m fine, I’m not sick. Mom sent me to a boarding school. She thought it would be good for me!! (Yeah right!) So, don’t worry about me, I am fine.

-Fall


The next 5 were all chain mails. I rolled my eyes as I deleted all of them.

The next one was a little more interesting. It was from my best friend, Ebony Sage.


Fallyn,

Meet me at the sorceress tower in the lobby at exactly 4 p.m. DO NOT bring Lily with you.

-Ebony Sage

I looked down at my watch and my eyes almost popped out of my head, it was 3:55.
“Lily, stay here, don’t leave, don’t let anyone in! I’ll be back in a minute.” I yelled at Lily as I ran out the door.

I checked my watch, 3:59. Perfect, right on time. I tried to look for Ebony’s white blonde hair and pale skin, that made her look like a ghost, colorless, and silent. Though, she is very intelligent (like me, not to brag) and mysterious. Whenever she walks into the room everything goes silent (or almost silent) when people see her. I spot her in the shadows, trying to conceal herself, but her pale skin and white, blonde hair makes her glow. She spots me and waves her hand to come over.
“Next time you try to hide yourself, trying wearing darker clothes.” I told her.
She rolls her eyes, which are, electric blue.

She looks around to make sure no one can eavesdrop and begins, “Okay, there’s something hidden here that will give the magicians more power, a crown, black as coal, and with red rubies incrusted into it. With it, they will have enough power to destroy all of us, necromancers, sorcerers, conjures, all of us.” Ebony said, stopping for a breather.
“Does anyone else know that it’s here?” I ask.
“Yes, many people know, the good and the bad.” she said sadly.
“Wait, but, what’s happened?” I asked.
“Deaths, students and teachers. Mostly when they get in the way and try to stop them. Sometimes they are because, they work for the Dark Ones, and they do something wrong or, they fail to get it, and the Dark Ones send a monster to murder them.” Ebony said.
“Wait but, what does that need to do with me?” I asked Ebony.

“Well, you are the most powerful sorceress at this academy.” she said.
I opened my mouth to speak but, she cut me off.

“Your Lord Nighte’s children aren’t you, you and Lily.” Ebony said.
I stamped my foot in frustration, “No one has told me who Lord Nighte is yet!”

“He’s the head of the-” she said when she was cut off.

The author's comments:
Isn't a very long chapter.

“Everyone! Special News report!” an older girl said.

All the girls crowded around a high tech radio.
“I repeat, we are under attack, we are under-” the host was cut off when there was a laugh and a scream.

A voice resumed the newscast, it was a cold, gruff voice, “We have found you, daughter of Lord Nighte, we are coming, we are coming.”
The girls turned it off, and got ready for battle. Just then, a teacher raced in and said, “Girls and boys under the age of 9 must go to the cellar.”
I rushed upstairs and grabbed Lily.
“Where are we going, where are we going?” she asked.
“Bad people are coming and I have to hide you, stay down there and don’t come out whatever you do until I get to you. If I don’t make it out, Ebony will get you.” I told her.
I hugged her and put her in the cellar with all the younger kids.
“Any other girls? We are closing the door,” the same teacher said.
The door creaked shut and she muttered a spell under her breath and it sealed shut. We all strode out of the building and saw that everyone, I mean everyone had been alerted. There were tall, and gangly girls, big, burly boys, and petite girls. Several girls and boys were at the gate and concentrating hard, focusing and put protective charms around the school.
Suddenly, an alarm went off, it was like something was being tortured, or screaming.
“They are coming!” An older, taller girl shouted.
We all got ready for there first attack. When several Chimeras bounded forward to the gate. Several younger students screamed with horror. Just when they touched the big, black gate, the turned to ashes, and the ashes were scattered with the wind. I smirked, they didn’t know how powerful we were after all. Of course, I was wrong. Several more uglies bounded toward the gate and spewed fire. It looked like it broke through the charms and we were swarmed by uglies. They engaged several students at a time. I saw a younger boy, about 10-ish being overwhelmed. I saw the Chimera go to finish him off and I thought, explode! Sure enough, the Chimera exploded into ashes. The boy gave me a grateful smile as he sprinted off to help a friend. Then, came the swarm of wizards, all adults. There were woman, and men varying in shapes, sizes, and hair color. We finished off all the Chimera’s but, most of us were too weak to fight.
“Give us the girl, and we will leave your puny, incompetent school alone.” A woman said, tall and pale, she looked like someone I had known before.
“Which one?” asked a blonde girl eagerly.

The woman smirked and glanced at me. Almost 200 pairs of eyes turned toward me. I clenched my fists and thought in my head, I need something to stop them, I know! Ice Wall! I got a tingling feeling at the tips of my fingernails and, I felt a small burning sensation. I slowly opened my eyes and saw a wall of frozen solid ice between us and them. I realized what the burning sensation was, the feeling of my energy being sapped. I had used too much energy with that spell. I closed my eyes and the world turned black, and I knew no more.

When I woke up, I was in a woodsy area, with a small stream and what looked like a tent.

“Hey,” a girl said, though she sounded very familiar.
“Where, where am I?” I asked shakily.

“Well, I can’t pinpoint it exactly but, all I know is, we’re in a forest in the Appalachian Mountains, somewhere in Maine.” the voice said again.

Just then, something tackle hugged me.

“You alive! You alive! You not dead!” said the thing.
I sat up and saw that Lily was the person that tackle hugged me, and Ebony had been the one that had been talking to me.
“What happened?” I asked Ebony.
“After you passed out, the teachers ordered all of the students to flee, and go and get some things, they said that the spell would last 1 hour only and we all had to clear out by then. There were too many of them. I grabbed some of your things and an expandable tent that I had and stuffed it all into 3 backpacks. With our stuff.” Ebony answered.
“How do you know that we won’t be found?” I asked.
“I put some charms around this place, we can’t be seen, cursed, or heard.” she answered simply.

“Can we go in the tent?” I asked.
“Sure, but I warn you-” Ebony started as I walked toward the tent.

I lifted up the flap and from the side a thing with fangs, and lopsided face with a bloody eye, and an eye socket without an eye! It leaned toward my face and grinned. Now that sent me over the edge. Oh yeah, I totally screamed at that. But, to say that I screamed was an understatement. I turned around and bolted.
“Good lord, you screamed so loud, people could probably hear you in San Francisco.” Ebony said smirking, rolling on the ground laughing.
“Oh, shut up.” I muttered, straightening my hair.
I sighed, “What was that thing?”
“An enchantment we, er I put up. Keeps intruders away.” Ebony answered, still smirking.
“Well, how do you, well, fix it.” I asked.
“Err, well you won’t like it.” she answered.
“Oh, you are kidding right. I am not going in their again until that horrifying failure of a vampire. ” I told her.
“Well it looks like Lily can handle it.” Ebony said, trying hard not to laugh.
I whipped around to see Lily walking into the tent and yelling, “Go away scary man! Just because Fallyn’s a scaredy cat, doesn’t mean I am.”

I heard a poof and the “scary man” was gone. Ebony was positively crying from laughter.

“You set that up! I am so not saying that!” I screamed in outrage.
“Well, it’s not my fault that you have as much bravery as a toothpick.” Ebony said, failing to keep a straight face.

“You open it!” I demanded.
“Nope,” she said simply.

“Ebony Ravine
I sighed and kept walking. Boy, that thing was huge, it was as big as a condo! It had a bathroom and a shower (with hot water). Three bedrooms, a kitchen, and a table with three chairs with wobbly, unstable legs. The bedrooms had names engraved into each of the doors. I entered the one that said Fallyn.
My room had most of my stuff in there. My laptop sat on the wooden, carved desk. I sat down at the chair, and started checking my emails. There were 2 from my mom. They said,

Fallyn,

What happened, we have been told that the school was attacked, what happened, and where are you? What about Lily? Is she okay? -Mom
The other one said,

Fallyn,

Are you okay? You aren’t answering your emails, WHERE ARE YOU?

-Mom
P.S Calliope


Uh oh, this meant my mom was being forced to write this, that was our code word if she ever was being forced to write something. Calliope, was her name so we used that. The first one was written by her. Of course, she would ask about Lily, she was just a toddler after all.

Mom,

I am okay so is Lily. I am right now in San Fransico, CA.
-Fallyn


I know, you might be thinking, why in the world did you just lie. Well, why would I tell them where we really are. Okay, not the most creative place to think of but, hey I tried to think of the farthest place from here without going out of the country because, that would give it away. Why? You might be thinking. Well, there are restrictions for disappearing and reappearing, it has a proper name but, I can’t think of it at the moment. You can disappear or appear in different continents so, I couldn’t just appear in Bangladesh right now.


I checked my other emails to see if I had anything else had happened. Most of it was junk mail but, Claire emailed me, again.

Fallyn Ash Nighte.

If I know you right Fall, I know that you are lying. I want an explanation, and I want it now.

-Claire



Uh oh, this is a problem. I know Claire will be very, and I mean very persistent. She’ll get it out of me sometime soon, but if I know Claire, she will tell everyone once I tell her. I just can’t risk that with my current situation right now. Us being on the run and all. Eh, I’ll just ignore the email for now, I thought to myself.

“Fallyn! Get over here! We have company!” I hear Ebony yell from outside the tent.
I rushed outside to see what was going on, it was beginning to get dark out, and a group of people were right down by the bank of the stream.
“Who are they?” I whispered into Ebony’s ear.
“I have no clue. But, we are going to, they were so loud coming through the woods.”
“Are they normal people, or-”I started
“Can’t tell yet, but they are all boys and around 13-14 years old.” Ebony said, cutting my off.
“They could be from the school maybe.” I said hopefully
“Or they could be spies trying to see if anyone is hiding here.”
“Shush, listen.”

We both became quiet as we listened.
“Am glad we got out alive, there were so many of the Dark Ones.” one of the boys said.
“Here,” Ebony hissed as she passed me a silver dagger with a deep blue hilt.”We are going to bind them together and then we’ll see who they are.”

I closed my eyes and imagined a rope twisting around the 4 boys. Then I imagined a strong knot tying itself. I slowly opened my eyes and saw that all of the boys were now struggling against the bonds of the rope.
“Who goes there?” the first boy said.
“Yeah,”the second says.

Now, Ebony mouthed.
We stepped out of the shadows and they were looking more terrified then Lily on Halloween last year. I stepped toward them, with my dagger pointing at them.
“Who are you?” I asked coldly.
“H-how did you find us, we moved so stealthily.”the first boy said.
Ebony snorted, “Please, you were so loud, we were alerted of you from a mile away.”
This wasn’t true of course, we were just alerted of them from about 100 meters away from us. But, why did they have to know that, did they?

“You didn’t answer my question, who are you?” I said pressing my silver dagger against the boy’s neck.

“Fine, fine, only if you put that retched knife away.” the boy said, obviously terrified.
I slowly retracted the knife away. I still kept my guard up though.

“I am umm hold on let me think, George Nighte, yeah George Nighte.” the boy said.
“Liar.”I hissed.

“How dare you! When my father-”
“Your are not his son, Lord Nighte has no son, he only has two daughters, and one of them is standing right in front of you with a dagger in her hand, ready to cut your throat.” I practically yelled.


The boy’s mouth fell open, I guess he was pretty surprised I exploded at him. Yes, my temper had overcome me. If you get to know me, I have a notorious temper, it gets me in trouble... a lot. A ball of fire sparked in my hand.
“You need any more persuasion to tell us your real name, I’m dying to send this fireball somewhere.” I said smiling.

Good lord, he was sweating like crazy. I must be very scary. Hmm, I admit it is kinda fun playing the bad guy. Threatening to blow up stuff, ah fun.

“Fine, fine, fine!” the boy said again.
“That’s what you said last time.” Ebony retorted.
“Herbert Polkin.” the boy said.
I looked at Ebony warily. Her eyes widened.
“Do you know him?” I asked Ebony.
“He is one of the cowards and left before the battle started, I saw him climb over the gates.” she whispered.
I couldn’t help kicking him in the shin. That just sent me over the edge of my temper radar.

“Ouch! What was that for? I gave you what you wanted.” Herbert protested.
“You coward.”I hissed,”you left your friends to fend against grown magicians and you left just to save your sorry skin.”

“I-”
“I don’t care if you think of all the excuses in the world, you are a traitor and a coward.” I said firmly

“Now, that that’s done, who are you?” Ebony asked the two other boys.
One of the boys said, “I am Prince Merlin of Romania.”

Ebony snorted, “Oh yeah, and I forgot to tell you I’m Harry Potter.”
I nodded toward the other boy, “What about you?”

“Vincent Van Gogh.”
“You guys insult my intelligence, I mean seriously Vincent Van Gogh has been dead for centuries now.” I spat.

Suddenly there was a deafening roar. Darn, I was starting to like this place, it was well, beautiful, the trees tall and high concealing us, a stream providing fresh water, berry bushes, and leaves to eat. Ebony grabbed my hand and dragged my right to the tent. It became visible and we ran in.
“Collect everything you can, stuff them into your backpack, NOW!”
“Lily! Lily! Wake up! We are under attack we have to leave. Get you things and put them in your backpack, Hurry!” I yelled to Lily.
I rushed to my room stuffed everything in it, untidily might I say. I left the bed of course, and the comforter too. Also, I left the wooden desk. As I stuffed my laptop into my backpack and zipped it up.
Ebony yelled, “Get out here!”
Lily had beaten my there. Ebony was going to take down the tent, she stuffed it in her bag, and then she turned around. One of her first mistakes, the thing was huge, only it wasn’t a Chimera. I ran through my mental list of lion monsters.
“Uh oh,” I muttered.
I knew exactly what this monster was, and I didn’t like it.
“Nemean Lion!” Ebony screamed.
Lily was paralyzed. This was a problem, she was terrified of anything that had huge jaws, and roared. So, the Nemean Lion fell into that category.
“Lily come on!” I yelled.
She refused to move. I ran over to her just as Ebony yelled, “Fallyn! Don’t!”
Of course, the lion turned on me, like a good predator. He would go after the moving target. I did the only thing I could think of, I tackled Lily, pushing her against the ground. I grabbed her and threw her into the protective shield. She landed right on top of Ebony, knocking her to the ground. Okay, I didn’t have the best aim. I rushed into the protective spell and thought, well, this would be a dumb way to die, if I wasn’t fast enough and the lion caught me. I jumped into the protective circle as the Nemean Lion ran into the protective wall. It crumpled against the wall and remained motionless. I looked around to look for the boys and, I saw they disappeared.
I cursed under my breath. I had forgotten to make the rope, magic proof. Of course, now that they left, they were sure to alert all the Dark Ones of our location.
“So, where do you want to go now?” Ebony asked.
I shrugged my shoulders.
“Maybe, a city or something, Chicago, perhaps. Not New York, it would be swarming with Dark Ones since, they have been alerted we would be near here, or anywhere in the California region. Since, I said that we were there.” I answered.
“Where in Chicago?” Ebony asked.
“Somewhere, with a lot of buildings.” I answered.
“Hmm, oh yeah! I forgot to tell you. After you passed out, a teacher told me that I could call on the servants of magic to serve us. She gave me a scroll, I think I got it here somewhere-here it is!” she announced giving me the scroll.
I took the scroll from her and unrolled it.
It said...


How to summon servants of magic for beginners.

1.Hold the scroll out in front of you
2.Form a picture of any for of human or animal.
3.Recite these words,



Servant of Magic


Come to serve thee

For I am the master,

and you are the servant

Now come to life,

and be the servant

that you were made to be.

Snap your fingers and the servant will materialize. If the servant does not show up, you obviously screwed up so try it again and don’t fail, again.


Before I could start chanting the spell, a piece of paper floated and landed at my feet. Just as I touched it, it stuck to my hand like super glue, and it had a slight burning sensation, and it started glowing white hot. You could say that I was brave and closed my eyes and tried to make it go away but, that was completely the opposite. I started screaming and tripped over a log trying to walk backwards. Let’s just say I started using some colorful language.
“What do we do now?” I wailed, “My hand has a piece of paper stuck to my hand, and I don’t think that people in Chicago will take to that too kindly.”

“Um, I hate to say it but, well, I don’t know how to remove that from your hand.” Ebony said. “There’s only one place I can think of that you will be able to remove it, and you won’t like it.”

“Oh, come on it won’t be that bad.” I told her.
“Russia.”

“Excuse me, as in, across the world, on another continent?” I asked.
“The one in the same.” Ebony said grimly.

“Why, isn’t there a healer person at least in the U.S?” I asked.
“Ah, well there is one but, it’s guarded very heavily.” Ebony said, looking tense.

“Continue,”
“It’s at Morning Star.” Ebony whispered, barely audible.
“You’ve got to be joking! That place must be swarming with the Dark Ones.” I exclaimed.
“Well, the healer was well hidden, only the worth could find her. But, I know a secret way into Morning Star.” she said.

“Okay, isn’t there a forest behind the back wall, we’ll teleport there.” I said.
I closed my eyes and imagined the school, it’s stone walls, and the tall brick buildings. I then had a sensation like I was going into free fall. I made the mistake of keeping my eyes open. There was a whirl of color, I saw other places and was tempted to try to take another glance but, I knew that if I tried to focus on another place for too long, I will be teleported there and not my destination. I closed my eyes and focused on Morning Star, I was suddenly aware that Lily was grasped my hand so tightly it hurt. Then I realized Ebony was not next to me!

atch of forest, and I saw a large stone wall, and stone buildings behind it. I almost screamed when Ebony tumbled out of a tree. Lily, of course, couldn’t contain herself. She shrieked so loudly we would’ve been found if we weren’t in the middle of a forest, at a deserted school.
“How do you suppose we get in?” I asked Ebony.
“Hello to you too.” Ebony said, irritated.
“Well, do we climb the wall?” I asked.
Ebony stumbled and grabbed onto me for support.
“I was thinking I could blast a hole through-”
“You aren’t using any magic, look at the state of you, I say we climb the wall the old fashion style. Anyway, this place must still have some magic protecting the walls. They probably didn’t think about people climbing the walls.” I explained.
“You don’t have some rope do you?” Ebony asked.
“Please, I don’t need rope, I climb, the old fashion style.” I told her because, the days of me climbing trees proved helpful.
Luckily, stones were sticking out like foot holes all over the place. I grabbed the first stone and nothing happened, I shrugged and started climbing. At the top, I was speechless, it was turned into what looked like a base camp. Tents were set up everywhere, yet still, very high tech. What surprised me the most was, no one was guarding the back wall where we were at. This was almost too easy. When I looked back behind me and saw Ebony attempting to climb the wall. She wasn’t as good as climbing as me because, I had been climbing trees all of my life. So climbing a wall was almost the same. She finally struggled to the top and I helped Ebony pull Lily up. When we finally hauled her up. She stared at the scene.
“Okay, now we climb down.” I said to no one in particular.
“Uh, okay.” Ebony mumbled.
I looked down, the wall on the other side was as smooth as my skin. Straight up and down, this, would be a problem.
“I think we have to jump.” I told Ebony and Lily.
“No way, the drops around, what 10 feet.” Ebony protested.
“How else will we get down?” I asked furiously.
“Tie a rope to something.” Ebony suggested.

“Tie a rope to what? I don’t think, either you or me would like to hold a rope, and worry that you might accidentally let go of the rope and send me or you tumbling down.” I retorted.
“Fine, you jump first and I’ll throw Lily to you, then I’ll jump.” Ebony said.
Lily sat down and crossed her arms. Oh god, this would be complicated.
“Lily, you have to jump, it’s the only way. Please, for me. Don’t worry, I’ll catch you,” I told her in the most comforting voice I could muster.
She shook her head. I sighed.
Ebony screamed. I whipped around, there was a ginormous snake behind us. The snake had a orange and scarlet pattern on it’s scaly body. Two big, ugly yellow eyes had it’s eyes transfixed me. The snake started speaking in it’s raspy, dry voice, “You have come for healing, have you not. Defeat the guardian, and you shall be healed.”
To tell you the truth, I had almost forgotten the scroll, and the pain wasn’t as bad. But, now I could feel the burning sensation on my hand more than ever.
“Who is the guardian?” I asked.
“You’ll have to find her yourself.” the snake rasped as it got swallowed up by the earth.
Wonderful, now we had to find some guardian and defeat her then I would get this piece of paper unglued from my hand.
“Now, time to jump,” I said.
Lily continued pouting.
“Lily don’t give me that look, I won’t drop you.” I said irritatedly.
“Uh, yeah sure.” Ebony said, still shaking from the snake encounter.
I jumped and landed on my feet (thankfully). Then I looked up and saw Lily, shaking and her feet leaving the stone wall. I caught her in my arms but, I almost toppled over because of the sheer force. Lastly, Ebony jumped and stumbled a bit but, kept on her feet.
We silently crept behind a stone building.
“What now?” I asked Ebony.
“I guess we find this guardian person, and defeat her, and we get that piece of paper of your hand.” Ebony answered.
My stomach grumbled, oh man, I haven’t eaten in, what a day? Maybe 12 hours? I looked at Lily, she looked pale and very, very hungry. Ebony, didn’t look the slight hungry but, she was tired, she had bags under her eyes, that magic really took her out.
“Is there any food around here?” I whispered.
“The mess hall is that building,” Ebony said pointing to a grey building, double doors were at the front, not locked.
“Do you think there is any food there?” I asked.
Ebony nodded, “The cook hid a stash in the attic, just in case we ran out of food, or were attacked and needed food. The entrance is hidden, but the cook showed me where it is.”
I looked around, now that I realized it, the front was almost completely guarded, but the buildings were completely unguarded except, for one of the buildings in the front of the lawn, near the front. No one was looking toward the back, and no one expected no one in their right minds would come back here after we fled. But, yet we came back, they weren’t ready. I knew that we couldn’t attack them though, we were too weak for now.
“Okay, we go in, get food, come back here, eat the food, and find the guardian person.” I said.
“Wait, what if, say someone turns around and sees us, what will happen then?” Ebony asked cautiously.
“Good point, maybe we could turn into, a small bird or something.” I suggested, then I saw Ebony’s face, she couldn’t do any more magic, and most likely, Lily would not be able to turn back into a human.
“Never mind, I’ll go alone, both of you look too tired, put some enchantments back here, put up the tent, both of you, rest. I’ll wake you up when I get back with the food.” I told them as Ebony tried to protest but, before she could say anything, I transformed into a Dove.
I flew off to the mess hall, there was an open dome at the top, and I flew to through it into the kitchen. I was surprised so badly, I almost turned back into a human and dropped to my death. The place was packed, with people, in gray cloaks wrapped around their shoulders. They were at tables, talking noisily while having lunch. I felt the sudden impulse to attack them, but I knew I couldn’t. That would be suicidal. I had to find the food, and get it to Lily and Ebony, they were depending on me. I flew into the kitchen, I saw people, in rags slaving away, making food for those awful people. The worst part was, I recognized the people, my mother was among them. I gave a screech of horror. They had captured my mother! I was so angry, that I transformed back into a human. I was about 10 feet in the air when I transformed, so I didn’t lightly land on my feet and smile, I slammed into the marble floor and groaned. Great, I had blown my cover. The only person that turned around was my mother. Her eyes widened in shock, horror, and pride.
“Fallyn, you should not have come, you should not.” my mother said in a raspy voice.
“I needed to, I need to find the healer, but first I have to defeat some guardian person.” I told her.
“Where, where is your sister?” my mother asked looking scared.
“She’s hiding with Ebony, I have to get them some food.” I calmly told my mother.
“It’s too dangerous, go back, go back!” she exclaimed.
“I can’t, I need to get them food.” I explained quite exasperated.
My mother slipped something into my hand, a silver pendent of an owl, it was beautifully crafted, and it was dangling from a silver chain.
“It, it has power in it. You will find out it’s power in due time.” my mother said quietly.
She then looked around cautiously, she gave me a package and a basket of food.
“There’s an exit over there.” my mother whispered in my ear, pointing toward a window. “It’s the back of the hall, so you will not be seen.”
“But, I just can’t leave you here.” I said tears streaming down my face.
She touched my face gently with her callused hands and said, “Don’t worry about me, I’ll be alright.”
By then, I was practically sobbing, I just couldn’t leave her hear.
“Quiet, or they will find you.” my mother whispered gently.”Goodbye, Fallyn, leave and make things right.”
I then, trying to muffle my sobs, climbed through the window and tumbled out onto the lawn with the package in my left hand. I underestimated how high the drop was, I fell 4 feet and then hit the ground. I groaned as I landed on my side, not exactly the most graceful landing ever. I grabbed my side, it felt like, well I fell out of a window, I was going to have a large bruise. I looked around me to make sure no one heard me, or saw me. I saw the back of the building were Ebony and Lily were hiding, Ebony had made it impossible for me to see or hear them, great she probably spell protected it, so no one could try to curse them, or something like that. Great, how was I supposed to find the tent now, they were probably hiding in the tent, not taking any chances to go outside. I looked around to make sure that no one was coming, I ran for it. I must have underestimated the span of Ebony’s charm but, I ran full force, into a forcefield type thing and landed flat on my back.
“This, is not my day.” I muttered to myself.
Of course, my day got worse as, it started snowing. Snowing? You may ask. Well, I forgot to mention that Morning Star was located, near the top of a mountain. Well, it’s not unusual I suppose, but it is September, so that may be the mountain is just warming up for winter. No pun intended.
“Ugh, why me, why me.” I muttered to myself angrily.
I was stuck in the freezing cold, with only my Northface jacket, my package, the necklace, and a swiss army knife in my jean pocket. No blanket, no nothing to keep warm except for my magic. Wait, a second, I’m magic, maybe I can well summon them or something. (This is the wonderful part of magic, it can sometimes help you certain peril)


I closed my eyes and pictured a blanket, warm and fuzzy, a black color to conceal me. Then, I pictured a black pillow, equally warm and fuzzy to match the blanket. I thought what else I needed, maybe some food, but I don’t think we are allowed to summon food though. I didn’t want to try it incase something horrid happened. I finally opened my eyes, and saw on the ground, that the blanket and the pillow where on the ground, the blanket folded so I wouldn’t touch the cold, hard ground. I sat down on the ground and examined my side in the fading sun. It wasn’t as bad as I anticipated, it was purple and a little swollen, but it would go away soon though.

I put my shaking had to the forcefield, I tried to push gently against it but, it wasn’t “breaking” anytime soon. That was for sure. I sighed, I guess I should just wait it out until morning. But, the temperature was decreasing by the minute, and snow was falling lightly on the ground around me, no there was not anything covering me except for the blanket, so the snow fell softly around me, and decorating my hair in a white crown.

Then, (of course there is a then) a sound of cheering came from the mess hall, and a stampede of people came running out. They were grinning wickedly. I flattened myself against the wall and tried to look like I wasn’t there. Which was a bit hard, because for one, The forcefield was almost surrounding the whole back of the building and I was sitting right at the corner, where the two walls meet. So, if someone wanted to look very closely, they would see me, and I would be dead meat. I inhaled sharply as a man started stumbling my way. I scooted to the left, trying to see if I could break into the forcefield, of course my luck didn’t hold out and he saw me. I cursed under my breath, he had found me, and he would certainly call to his friends and bring them over here. He grinned drunkenly and yelled, “Hey, guys look who I’ve found, a trespasser.”

I snapped my fingers and imagined a big hand covering the man’s mouth. The man then tried opening his mouth and no sound came out. I looked around for something to climb, the wall, which we climbed over now had hand holes like the other side of the wall. Before I could think too much about this fact, I heard feet break into a run. The guy’s buddies were coming to get me. There were two choices, escape into the woods and come back in the morning to alert Lily and Ebony or, to get captured and possibly killed. I went with the first one. I started to scale the wall. A shrill, high woman’s voice screeched, “Stop her you fools, Stop her!”
They were too late, I had already jumped to the other side of the wall. This time, I didn’t land as gracefully. The sheer force made me collapse. I got up quickly and ran into the woods. I slowed down once I had thought that I was far enough away from Morning Star Academy and I looked at what I had to work with to survive the night. I saw a sturdy tree, it was also tall which provided a good sleeping place. I just needed a tarp, or a hammock or something to stretch between two sturdy tree branches, because I didn’t trust myself to sit on a branch because, I might toss and turn in my sleep and fall onto the cold, hard forest floor, which I didn’t want to do.

I closed my eyes (yes, there is a lot of eye closing in magic) and imagined a a hammock, it was a green and beige color to conceal me in the tree. Unfortunately, unlike the blankets and the pillow, it didn’t arrange itself so, I had to manually set up the hammock. After 15 minutes, I looked up to admire my piece of work. I had put several charms around the area. I had put a charm to make sure I didn’t hit the ground if I had found a way how to fall out of the hammock, I would be ready. I then started to climb the
magnificent tree, willowy but, yet it was very sturdy. It reminded me of myself, tall and willowy, but not very light and skinny. I put my foot on the hammock testily. I stood up for a brief moment and then fell forward and landed on my face. My face touched the soft comfort. I would have to get a good night’s rest, because I wasn’t sure if I would sleep in comfortable conditions like this for a long while.


I woke up to the sounds of birds chirping in their serene patterns. I slowly sat up in the hammock. I squinted in the bright morning sun. I turned around and saw the school, shouts were coming from the school. Uh-oh. Ebony and Lily were looking for me. Lily’s voice sobbing screaming, “Fallyn, Fallyn, Fallyn!”
“I’m going to kill you when I find you, Fallyn Ash Nighte!” Ebony’s voice yelled.
I could tell that her voice was cracking, she was scared but, trying to look brave for Lily. I wanted to yell, I am here! Just jump over the stupid wall! However, I know I can’t that. I would put them and myself in a great deal of trouble. I jumped from the hammock. You must be thinking, why in the world would you do that?! That’s suicide. Actually, for me it isn’t. Like I told you before, magic has its perks. Even though I had put the protective charms so I wouldn’t fall to my death in my sleep, I would still get a nasty bruise. I jumped off the hammock and floated like a feather to the ground. Suddenly, I felt a weird sensation in my hand, I looked down and almost screamed, the scroll had incased itself around me hand like a cover! Then, someone grabbed me from behind and I screamed.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.