The Five | Teen Ink

The Five

By BreakingInside BRONZE, Pinson, Alabama
BreakingInside BRONZE, Pinson, Alabama

Author's note: (I was writing this in 2011 as well) Well, this I have been writing since I guess a little before Christmas. I never imagined it this long. And i'm still going which has me in total shock. Now my friend has dared me to write a book. I have never let him down before well a few times. My friend he helped me with the last chapter and based off of Luke. Which the beginning I never imagined him reading.

"Citric?"
"Mom?" I sat up startled by the sound of my mother's voice. No reply. I looked out my window as the waves rolled in and out of the bay. I sighed realizing it had been all a dream. Of course it couldn't have been her. She had died when I had turned 5.
"Citric?" I heard someone say my name again but this time it was from my best friend Luke. His blonde hair fell into his sea blue eyes. He didn't have a shirt on which was usual and stood in just pajama pants. Which these were from our favorite movie, A Christmas Story. We had not seen it since movies had been banned.
"Citric?" He said my name again.
"Oh, yeah. Sorry just thinking."
He came and sat next to me now, "What you thinkin about?" He had a strong southern accent just that I did.
"Nothing much. But I heard her voice again."
"Your mother?" He looked at me slightly worried.
I nodded. Lately, I kept hearing my mom's voice. I don't know why. Maybe since I also lost my father.
"Well its past eight," He began trying to get my mind off of things, “we need to get outside and help the others." We lived in South Africa. I had moved here leaving behind the states and my beloved small town. I chose here because I had always been fascinated. I'm not sure why. But the ocean fascinated me and this place was one of the prettiest to me. My mother and father used to travel here all the time. I'm not sure why. I'm pretty sure they had the same love I did for the ocean.
"Citric? You listening?" Luke looked at me knowing I had begun thinking again and could care less about going out to help fish. He knows I would rather be in the ocean all day surfing. After The Wave came that had wiped out half of the population on earth surfing had been banned just like movies. Along with music. Even though we all had secret stashes. Just like I had my father's old surf board.

"Come on." He smiled down at me standing and leaving me alone in my room to gather my thoughts. Also to get ready for the long day ahead. I walked over to my calendar and crossed off another day. July 22, 2014. I am sixteen. I was thirteen when The Wave had come. I remember the day so clearly. It had not been a title wave. It had not been aliens. It had not been robots. It had been a virus. It took my father, my grandmother, my older brother, basically anyone older than twenty. I and my brother had been eight years apart. So he was 21 when the virus took him. It came with no warning.
The whole world was ruled by a group called The 5. The oldest in the world. The head was a man named Michael Duncan. He was 17 when The Wave hit. Now he is 21. The oldest. Next is his wife Tabitha Cross, 20. Then Tabitha's twin brother, Lance Cross, 20. Next, Michael’s Sister Alexis Duncan, 18. Last but not least the middle child of my own family my other older brother, Brett Thomas, 17. Brett and I had not directly spoken since he had become a part of them.
"CITRIC!" I heard my friends, Brianna and Caitlyn, yelling from down on the beach. I opened my window. The breeze was cool today and blew my curly bright red hair around my face. "What?" I yelled back knowing they were waiting for me to come with them to get food. Did I forget to mention grocery stores were not around these days? "Come chick we ready to go! We also have a little surprise!" Brianna yelled. Caitlyn gave me a smile. "Give me fifteen minutes." I closed the window shut and went over to my closest.
My closet was plain. Didn't have much of anything. So I grabbed a loose t-shirt, some shorts and a bathing suit. I knew most likely we would go spear fishing. One of the things not banned. I changed pulled my hair into a side braid, brushed my teeth and ran down the stairs onto the beach where Luke and my other friends stood. "You’re going to love your surprise." Luke spoke first and I could tell he was also excited. We began walking down the beach to the dock.
"So what is this little surprise?" I asked. "You will see." Caitlyn said in a soft voice full of mischief. She was a year younger than me with thick black hair that stayed in a ponytail most of the time. Brianna gave me a smile and wink as if I knew what she actually meant. She had blonde curly hair which was most of the time frizzy and in a side ponytail. She had earned the nick name poodle back in the eighth grade only months before The Wave. About a hundred yards before we reached the dock Luke stopped me. "Put on the blind fold." I looked at him puzzled. "Why?" "Just do it." "Fine." I snatched the piece of cloth from his hand and tied it around my head. I felt his hands rest on my shoulders to guide me the rest of the way there.
We finally stopped walking. "Take it off." They all said in unison. I obeyed and when I took the blind fold off there stood Brett. I gasped. Shocked to even see him. Since The 5 did all of their work from England. "Hey Citric." He said with a smile. "Brett!" I ran over to him tears now falling and I was not sure why. He hugged me as tight as he could without hurting me. He was a foot taller than me. I was only 5'5, while he 6'6. "What are you doing here?" I looked up at him still in shock he was even standing there.
"Well, how do I explain this." I looked at him confused now so did my friends. Another person cleared their throat. A guy stepped forward from behind Brett. I recognized him immediately. Lance Cross. He had blue black hair that fell to his shirt collar. His eyes were a piercing emerald green just like mine. "Why is he here?" Brianna spoke up. "I don't remember inviting him." Caitlyn said a little harsh. Had they known each other? Luke studied him. "Hi Citric. I'm here to see you." I looked at him and laughed. "Me?" I stopped laughing when I realized both my brother and Lance weren't laughing along. Brett spoke again, “We need you to help us."
"You mean The 5?" Luke spoke up for me which I was speechless. Me? Citric Alexandrea Thomas help The 5. "Yes, you would be next once were gone. You’re the sixth oldest in the world behind me. Here's the catch though. Michael won't let you join unless," My brother trails off. "Unless what?" Caitlyn, Brianna and I all say at the same time. Luke stays silent waiting for the rest of the story. Lance speaks up for my brother, “Unless you become my girlfriend. Your brother knows you’re the best for what we need you for but Michael said unless you are dating or married to one of us you may not help," my brother cuts him off and speaks, “so I figured you and Lance could pull it off."
"Are you serious?" Luke speaks a little bit of anger in his voice. "Wait, am I hearing y'all correctly?" Brianna says looking at them curiously. "Are you serious?" Caitlyn glares at Lance. "Me act as a girlfriend to Lance?" Lance nods, "Yeah basically." I sigh, “Fine, I'll do it. On one condition. "What?" Brett says. "My friends come." "Michael would never allow it." Brett replies knowing one way or another they are coming. "Who says he has to know?" I smile knowing I have won the battle. "That's not such a good idea." Lance looks at me. I give him the puppy dog face,"Aw please." "Fine." he says not giving up much of a fight. "Good." I say. "Good luck with her Lance. Looks like she already has you around her finger." Luke doesn't smile. Brianna and Caitlyn laugh though.
"Come on. Let's go back. And Brett I wanna show you my house. I think you would like it." I say walking back towards the beach.
We get back to my little shack that I call my house. It's one bedroom, one bath. Brianna lives to the right, Caitlyn to the left, Luke a few yards away. The rest of our friends or what we call family now scattered around the beach. "I'm sure it's not what y'all are used to. But this is home." I said digging out a suitcase from my closet. I forgot I had a few band posters hung on the walls and those were forbidden. "Skillet." Lance said smiling. "They were my favorite band." I say still trying to get the suitcase out. "Let me help." Lance says noticing my frustration. He tugs on it once and it comes out. "Same old Citric loves the color green." Brett says. My walls and bed spread are green.
I began throwing some clothes in my bag. Then I realize I had gotten rid of all of my nice clothes when I moved. My closet was full of t-shirts and shorts. I only had one dress and it was my mom's wedding dress. Brett laughs apparently reading my mind, "You won't need any nice clothes but jeans would probably be better than shorts." "I like her in shorts though." Lance laughs. I roll my eyes and throw a teddy bear at him. I continue to pack and notice old photos from when I was little. One shows my mother and father standing on the same beach that I live on today. Another shows my two brothers and I on our first trip to South Africa.
Brett looks over at the scattered pictures in my closet. "You were always a slob," He says with a grin, “maybe Mr. Neat freak over here can straighten you out." "I am not a neat freak." Lance says defending himself. I raise my eyebrow at him. "Sure. Let's see your hair is perfectly straight your pants were ironed, and those white Vans not a speck of dirt on them." "She is good." Lance says looking at me. "Told ya." Brett says beginning to help me pack. Lance looks around my room. A Skillet poster hangs next to my bathroom door. A LMFAO poster over my bed. Ke$ha on my bedroom/front door. My walls a light green. My queen sized bed one of the things I brought with me from Florida. The bedspread a darker shade of green with a flower design.
"You really do like green don't you?" Lance asks me. I even had a green lava lamp. "Yeah. It reminds me of an emerald stone." Emerald has disappeared after The Wave. No one is sure why. "It reminds me of your eyes." Lance whispers not realizing I heard him. How much had my brother said about me?
As we got done packing my friends stood at my door. All except Luke. "Citric!" Brianna called knocking. I ran over to the door and opened it. Caitlyn and Brianna stood in jeans which I wasn't even aware they owned. For once Brianna's hair actually looked tamed and Caitlyn's hair was out of a pony tail. "Y'all clean up good." I said letting them inside. "Why thank ya darling." Caitlyn said mocking my southern accent. She had lived in New York, New York. Some place I never got to visit. Brianna had lived a few towns over from me but her accent was a lot stronger.
"Caitlyn when you say darlin. You don't add the G if you want to be a true southerner." Brianna said serious. "Well if you wanna mock do it right." Brett says with a laugh. "So Lance where did you grow up?" Brianna asks. "New York. Right above Caitlyn." Lance says. "So y'all do know each other?" I say. They both nod. "Nice Kit-Kat." Brianna and I say. Kit-Kat was her nickname we had given to her a few weeks after we all met. She had come back to this beach because her mom had once lived here.
"We ready?" Luke asks coming through the door. "I guess." We all respond in unison. "Do y'all have a car or something? I am pretty sure we aren’t going by plane." I say. "Better. Train." Brett says.*

Soon we were leaving on a train away from the place I had called home for the past three years. Lance sat to my right, Brett to my left. Then in the row behind Brianna, Caitlyn, and Luke. Luke had not spoken much. I wasn't sure if he was mad or jealous. I had known him my whole life. We grew up on the same street. Went to the same school since first grade. He was the only one to agree to go with me. Brianna decided to tag along since they were cousins. I began remembering the boat trip across the Atlantic. It took a little over six days. Soon I drifted into a sleep.
I was five again. It was fall, Luke and I had just raked up the leaves into piles to jump into. My mom sat on our front steps taking photos and smiling. Her name was Christina Riley Thomas. I always liked her name. But the way she said my name always gave me a smile. Luke and I were jumping into the first pile of leaves not having a care in the world, until we hear a large sound overhead. A giant ship flew over our house. Then my mother disappeared. We ran inside afraid but no one was there.
I jolted awake. Lance looked over at me, everyone else was asleep. "Did I wake you up?" I said pulling a blanket tighter around me. He shakes his head no, "I couldn't get to sleep. So I was day daydreaming." "Well actually it would be night dreaming." I say pointing out towards the stars. He laughs and his eyes seem to dance in to moonlight, "Well you got a point there." I nod becoming silent. "You know you didn't have to agree to this. If you didn't want to." He says looking out the window.
"I know. I wanted to come though. I haven't seen my brother in years. But what exactly do y'all need help with?" I look over at him searching for something in his eyes. "We think Michael is up to something. Your brother said you would be the best to find that out." I nod in agreement. Ever since I had been little I could figure out something in a heartbeat. When I would watch shows like CSI, NCIS, or BONES I could figure out the killer within the first fifteen minutes. Half the time it was the crazy wife.
He smiles and looks over at me, "He also said you love a good challenge." "Trust me I do." I grin. "Ever been to England?" He asks. "No, but I always wanted to go. Actually my older brother and I had planned to go until," I trail off. "You and Brett?" He looks at me knowing I was referring to The Wave. I shake my head, “My other brother, mine and Brett's older brother. His name was Jaz. Weird name I know? He was 21," tears began to fill my eyes. Jaz and I had always been closer than Brett and I, "he had been killed by the virus." I say tears beginning to roll down my face. Lance wraps his arms around me and pulls me into his lap holding me close to him.
I continue to cry harder and harder. The memories began flooding back in. Every memory. I couldn't stand it. But Lance just sits there and lets me cry. Cry in his arms. Could we really pull this off?

I never dreamed I would ever walk into the front doors of Buckingham palace but now I did. The palace was beautiful. Lance had his arm wrapped around me just because Michael was standing at the front door ready to greet us. I gave him a smile. “So this is the lovely Citric I have heard all about.” Michael says smiling at me. “Nice to meet you.” I say before Lance or anybody else can speak up. “Well good to see the happy couple getting along. Nice to see you again Brett.” Brett nods, “Well I think Lance wants to show Citric around the front right quick so let’s leave them alone.” The doors close behind them and this is our chance to sneak my three friends inside. They had hid outside the palace gates that now stayed open. Lance and I went over to them and got them. “Sh we need to be quit to not give Michael a reason to come back out.” Lance says. They all nod and follow him into the back a place I had never seen before. Of course I had seen the front and the part that I saw from National Treasure. That was it though. We followed as silent as we could.
“You guys climb up there.” Lance says motioning to a ladder propped up against the wall that lead into a window. “It is one of the back rooms used for storage but has all the furniture and stuff in it.”
As my friends begin to climb we hear noise coming towards us. “Hurry.” Me and Lance whisper hoping they will make it up on time. As soon as Luke’s leg goes into the window Michael and my brother come around the corner. Brett stands behind Michael and mouths to me if they made it in. I nod slightly knowing Michael didn’t notice. “Hey you two love birds.” Michael says with a smile. I smile back as Lance speaks, “Yeah. Well let’s go back inside. I want to show her to her room.” They both nod and lead us inside. A girl walks down a staircase and looks at me with the same green eyes as Lance, “So this is Citric?” She says with a soft voice. “Yes this is her.” Brett says.
I recognize her. It’s Tabatha. Behind her is another girl the last of The 5, Alexis. She smiles at me warmly, “Hi.” “Hey.” I say and smile back. This was the most smiling I had done in years. “Well, let me show her to her room.” Lance says and puts his hand on my back leading me up the stairs.
He leads me down a series of hallways until we finally reach a room towards the end of one of the hallways. “Here it is.” He says staying in the doorway as I look around. A king size bed sits in the middle of the room. A dresser sits to the right. A bed side table to the left. Then to the right of me a door leading into a small bathroom. The room was a light shade of grey with pictures of London before The Wave. “What do you think?” He asks still standing in the doorway. I look around then say, “I like it.” I throw my suitcase onto the bed then sit down. “I’ll let you unpack.” I hear his footsteps walk back down the series of hallways. I peek outside into the hallway making sure no one is coming. I walk over to my suitcase and pull out a third generation IPod. Luckily I had saved it. I still had my speakers so it was always charged.
I pulled them out and set them on the bed side table. I put my IPod in and turned it to the first song that came into my head. It’s Alright, It’s Okay by Ashley Tisdale. I smile at the familiar sound of the song. I quietly shout the song to myself. “It’s alright okay I’m so much better without you! I won’t be sorry…………” I knew I was taking a risk but I didn’t care. “Nice song choice.” Alexis stands in my doorway. I jump and press the pause button. “Please don’t tell. I think this is the only thing that has kept me from going crazy.” I say pleading. She shakes her head, “I won’t,” she pulls out a pink 4th generation Nano, “I got one too.” “Nice.” I knew I liked this girl for a reason. She nods, “You got Crank It Up?” “My favorite song!” I switch it over to it and we laugh singing together. “I haven’t had this much fun in forever.” She says dancing.
“Me too.” I say agreeing.

After about thirty minutes we stopped and went back downstairs, everyone was sitting in one of the many living rooms laughing together. “Hey, there y’all are.” Brett says smiling. I go and sit next to Lance and lean my head on his shoulder. “Awwwwwww.” Alexis says with a grin. “Hey.” Lance says smiling down at me. I looked back into his emerald eyes that seem to stare down into my soul. “Hey.” I say smiling back. I sat in the middle of Lance and Brett. To the right of Brett sat Alexis. Which only four could fit on the couch so no one sat to the left of Lance. Then on the love seat Michael and Tabatha.
Tabatha looked at me as if she was skeptical that Lance and I were truly together. I would have been if I would have been in her shoes. Liking someone or loving someone is not thrown around these days. “How did you guys meet?” Tabatha asks me. I think for a few moments trying to gather up a story which I had not thought of, “Well about a year ago Brett had come down to visit me and Lance tagged along. We stayed in touch ever since.” She nods not fully believing me. “I never wanted that visit to end.” Lance says with a smile playing along. Brett nods. Alexis looks at me and smiles. Michael just nods and seems distracted. Tabatha fakes a smile and motions me to follow her. We both stand and walk outside into the summer sun. She study’s me over then speaks.
“Lance hasn’t mentioned you until a few weeks ago when they asked if you could help them. I think you are playing a game. Tricking all of us. I think this was your brother’s plan. He always has something to do with these kind of things. And if you are tricking us you will never see your brother or Lance again.” I look at her and smirk, “Is that a threat or a promise?” She looks at me with a cold and glassy stare, “A promise.” She turns around and walks back inside leaving me to my thoughts. “Did mother nature find her?” Brianna says leaning out of a window. “I don’t know.” I say with a laugh.

This chapter it sorta goes like scene by scene of whats going on.

For the rest of that evening and night we laughed together all playing as a big happy family. Now the fun was over and I lay awake alone in the darkness. Or I thought I was alone until I noticed someone standing in my door way. The little moonlight that shined through the blinds was reflecting off of his eyes. Which I had seen those eyes all my life. They belonged to Luke. “What are you doing here?” I whisper. Another figure steps out from behind him. “I found your friend in my spare room. Lance needs to do better research.” It was Alexis. “She won’t tell.” Luke says knowing my thoughts. I sigh in relief.
“But Tabatha is suspicious.” Alexis says next. “I know.” I say. “We need to make her unsuspicious.” Luke chimes in. Alexis and I nod in agreement. “The question is how.” I begin thinking. “I think I know.” Alexis says with a smile.
“Absolutely not.” Brett says. “It could work.” Lance says beginning to ponder the idea. “You are sixteen. I’m not allowing you to get married.” “Well sixteen is the new 30.” I say laughing trying to calm my brother down. “You know it would work.” Alexis says. “That’s not the point.” “Then what is the point?” Lance and I say frustrated. “I think Lance should decide. He will be the one proposing.” Brianna chimes in. Caitlyn nods in agreement. “Fine.” Brett mumbles. “Thank you.” I say to Brett then leave the room with Lance.
“You don’t have to go through with this.” Lance says looking out the windows. “I want to. I need to stay here longer to figure out what Michael is up to anyways.” “But what if me and your brother are wrong about Michael.” “Then that is a risk I’m willing to take.” He nods knowing I’m a person not to argue with. Both my brothers learned that early on. Now that I think about it Lance kind of reminds me of Jaz. I sigh knowing that I would be getting married.
“I’m hungry.” Caitlyn complains to me. “I will go get you some food if you will shut up for five minutes.” I say irritated. Which that had all I heard for the past hour. I was hiding out in their room. I was avoiding Tabatha at all costs. To tell the truth the girl sort of scared me. Brett and Lance were off doing something. I was never informed about the “missions.” I didn’t care that much but I would like to feel important enough. After all The 5 were about to become The 6.
“Here’s some food,” Alexis stands in the doorway holding a tray of food, “I could hear you from downstairs.” “Oooooppppps.” Caitlyn says biting down on a mozzarella stick. “So where are you from?” I say leaning back into the chair I was sitting in. “Italy.” She says.

Later that night we all sit in the dining room eating. We sat in an awkward silence. I of course sat with Lance. 24 hours from that moment I would be engaged. Something I never wanted to happen at 16. My mom would have called me insane, my dad would have disowned me, Jaz would have propped up his feet on his desk and laughed. Of course Lance and I would have never known each other. Brett would be in college. Jaz and dad would be alive. I imagine Jaz would be in Rome trying to become a famous artist with a nice Italian girl who loved him.
“So Citric, how long have you lived in South Africa?” Michael asked interrupting my thoughts. “Since right after Brett moved away. My friend Luke and I decided to move down there. It was my father’s favorite place to surf. Also my mothers. We went every year. Even after my mother died. Luke’s cousin Brianna came with Luke and I. Then we met a girl named Caitlyn down there.” I say looking down at my food remembering the day Brett left. “She had always wanted to move down there. You would not imagine how much her and my, our mother was alike. Citric was going to go pro until,” Brett trails off. “You wanted to pro surf?” Michael asks me. Apparently he was the only one in the mood to talk. I nod, “Yeah. The ocean felt like a second home. Other than a football stadium,” I laugh at the memories I had had watching my favorite football team every Saturday, “Or Brett play. Which I didn’t enjoy that much.” I add.
“You played football?” Alexis chimes in. Finally someone else speaks, I thought. “Yeah. I did. My father sort of made me.” Brett says. “Liar. You loved that football field more than anyone else.” I say laughing. “Who’s the liar now?” Brett taunts. “You wanna go there? You know I always win.” I say with a grin. Brett rolls his eyes with a laugh and becomes quiet. “She has you trained.” Michael says. “Sure does.” Tabatha says coldly as she stands and leaves the room.
“What’s up with her?” Michael says. “No idea.” Brett, Alexis, Lance and I all say. Michael looks at us questioningly but shrugs it off. A few minutes later Michael begins asking me questions again, “What did you say when we asked your brother to join us?” I look out the window past Michael where I’m sitting back on the couch back in the states. “At first it came at a shock knowing he was leaving me. Leaving me alone. After all it had only been a month after I had lost just about everyone I had cared about. Of course I hid it well that I didn’t want him to leave. For awhile I pondered if I should follow him. As you see I never did. I knew it was time to grow up. Even at such a young age. Two days after y’all asked and he left. I was gone. On a boat with Luke and Brianna,” luckily there were still a few marines left even if so young,” 6 days later I was in South Africa. My brother here. Of course the letters from him came every week but after a few months they stopped. Until he visited me a year ago when he brought Lance I had not heard or seen him in a year and a half.” It just kept coming until I finally stopped. Michael stood and simply said, “Excuse me.” With that he left the room. I now stood my lip quivering, “I’m going to go to bed.” As I rushed up the stairs tears streamed down my face. I was happy when I finally reached the room. I closed the door behind me and slid down the door with my back and sat in the floor crying for what seemed forever

I guess a little past 3 a.m. I finally woke up. I little note sat next to head had lied down on the floor. I guess whoever had written it slid it under the crack of the door. I unfolded it and read it quietly to myself.
Citric,
I know today at dinner was difficult. Can you talk to me? I feel shut out. I thought I had known everything about you but now I’m not so sure. I guess your brother didn’t know you that well either. Just please as soon as you get this come to my room.
Lance
I starred at the note forever. I wonder if Lance is still up. Well time to find out. With that I crawled up from behind the door, straightened my clothes out and began walking down the many hallways towards Lance’s room. As I walked I was careful to make as little sound as possible. I finally reached his door. I sighed in relief that I had not woken anyone. I knocked. No sound. I knocked again. Sound. The sound of the door clicking. Lance opened the door, his hair messy and I found him only in his boxers. “Nice boxers.” I smiled. He let out a laugh and motioned me to follow him inside. I did and he closed the door behind us. I plopped down into a chair in one of the corners of the room. He sat down on his bed and looked at me. I could feel heat rising onto my cheeks. “So, what did you need to talk about?” I said meeting his gaze.
“Well. I thought that I could go ahead and surprise you with a ring. And we announce it in the morning.” He said pulling out a little black box and opening it. There sat perfectly a 5 karat ring. “It was my mother’s. My dad came from a wealthy family, but my mom never really liked the whole scene of that so we moved into a little apartment.” I just sat there my mouth opened staring at it. Finally I moved my legs and went over to the bed sitting next to him. He took my hand into his and slipped the ring on.
“It’s beautiful.” I said still shocked it was sitting on my finger. “I’m glad you like it.” He smiles. “Now tell me about yourself.” “What do you want to know?” I say. “Well let’s start with everything.” I nod and try to figure out where to start. “Okay, I was born on November 16,1998 to Trent and Lisa Thomas. With two older brothers Jaz and Brett Thomas. My first best friend ever was Luke. I lived on 2312 Sunset drive, Duck Key, Florida. Less than 1,000 people as of 2007. But I lived in Griffin, Georgia until I was six. That’s where the southern accent comes from. Luke was in my 1st grade class with me. I soon met Brianna she was a few towns over when she came for Luke’s birthday party. I attended a school right across the street from my house. I was a outcast. My mom died right before we moved from cancer. Up until I was 11 we traveled to South Africa every year. Then both my brother, grandmother, and dad, basically everyone close died from The Wave. Then Luke, Brianna and I moved to South Africa. And Brett went to England.” I let out a sigh knowing I am finally done.
Lance nods taking in everything I have said. “What’s your story?” I look up at him.

LANCE
I looked down at her not sure what to say. I wanted to tell her my story but at the same time how would she look at me if she knew the truth. She already knew Caitlyn didn’t like me. Now if she knew the truth why. What would she say? I let out a sigh knowing I couldn’t stay silent forever. “Well I was born October 31,1994 to Sicilia and Robert Cross. Along with my twin sister Tabatha Cross. My first best friend was in 2nd grade and his name was William. I lived in a apartment in New York, New York. As you know Caitlyn lived below me. I attended a private school with a few snobbish girls. I was one of the popular kids you could say. My dad and mom both died from The Wave. Of course I already knew Michael before because him and Tabatha were “madly in love.” Which as you can see they are happily married.” I roll my eyes and look at her. She nods slightly knowing she gave me more than I gave her. The same way she looked at me reminded me of the day Caitlyn looked at me and I did nothing.
I was standing in the hallway trying to get into the apartment. I rummaged through my pockets realizing I must have left the key at school. “Great.” I mumbled. Now I had to wait for mom and dad. Another 3 hours. Tabatha another 4 hours. I didn’t dare and go ask the greasy doorman downstairs if he had a spare. The man gave me the creeps and always hit on my sister. Caitlyn stepped out of the elevator and when she saw me sitting there she realized she had pressed the wrong button. Again. She let out a sigh and looked over at me. “Why you sitting out here?” “I left my key at school and you know my parents and sister.” She nodded. “Well come back down with me. I’m fixing to go out to eat. Want to come? You can at least get something to eat and you can borrow my brother’s clothes.” She examined my school uniform. “Agreed.” I say and step inside the elevator with her. She walks into the apartment with me following behind her.
It was simple nothing to fancy. The way I liked things. Almost as soon as we walk in the phone rings. “1st door on the left.” She says picking up the phone. I nod and walk into her brother’s room. It was covered in band posters. Bands I didn’t listen to. I opened his closet and found a pair of Vans, blue jeans, thank god not skinny, and a yellow m&m t-shirt. I change quickly and hear her still on the phone. I notice that her brother has a phone in his room and my curious side gets ahold of me. I pick it up and listen. “They couldn’t have found out.” It was a voice I didn’t recognize. “Well someone figured out my dad abuses us. Why else would he be calling you for his one phone call and you calling me saying to get the money out of the safe. Mom, you should have left him a long time ago.” “Look just do it and this stays in between us. Not even your brother will know. You understand?” “Yes.” I hung up but Caitlyn had already caught me. “Were you eavesdropping?!” She looked at me shocked and scared. “No, I..” I trail off not thinking of a excuse fast enough. “You were! How could you?!” She rolls her eyes. “Leave. Now.” I grab my clothes from the floor and got out as quickly as possible.
“Lance? Lance?” Citric’s voice brings me back to reality. “Huh? Sorry I went into lala land.” She lets out a laugh and nods.

I closed Lance’s door behind me and smiled. I walked down the hallway admiring the ring then bump into someone. I look up and its Tabatha. She gasps. “Where did you get that?” “Lance.” I say. She looks at me. “Why?” “Well uh were engaged. Surprise!” I say but Tabatha’s expression doesn’t change. “You take that off.” “No.” I pull my hand up to my chest and cover the ring with my other hand protectively. Michael walks down the hallway from all the noise still groggy. “What is going on?” He says yawning. “She is wearing my mother’s engagement ring.” “Well Lance proposed and gave me this ring. You know a real diamond is hard to come by these days.” “Just let her keep it Tabatha. Lance did give it to her.” “But it was my mother’s why does she get it?” I roll my eyes and push past them.
Once I get far enough away I mimic Tabatha’s high pitched why does she get it voice. Finally I reach the safety of my room. I look at the clock at its 6 a.m. Had I really been in there that long? I shrug and crawl back under the covers. Then the realization hit me and I sit up, “Oh god. I have to plan a wedding.”

“It’s beautiful!” Alexis says admiring my ring. I nod in agreement still in shock of the stone sitting on my finger. “So who is the bridesmaid? Maid of honor?” Alexis says digging like I planned It all in my head over night. She of course was there when we planned the engagement but of course she was still excited. “Congrats sis.” Brett says with a wink. I smile back at him of course. I walk over to Michael, “My friends are coming. Okay? Ok.” Michael nods knowing no sense in arguing with me. “So, is there a date set?” Tabatha says like it brings a bitter taste to her mouth. “2 weeks.” Lance says. “Huh?” I say turning around. We had not discussed this and I was shocked. “Well I figured we might as well get it over with. You know weddings are not what they used to be.” I nod in agreement. Most jobs had vanished, weddings were less important, school wasn’t even a priority anymore. Well, to think now after all parents had vanished so they weren’t telling their kids to well you know. “So are you fine with that?” Lance says in a slightly worried tone. “It’s fine. I say with a smile.
“So, maid of honor? Bridesmaids?” Alexis asks more anxious now. “My friend Brianna is maid of honor. We made a promise back in 7th grade. Caitlyn bridesmaid and of course you Alexis bridesmaid.” I turn and face Tabatha now thinking I might regret what is coming out of my mouth next. “Tabatha, will you be my matron of honor?” She looks at me with shock but quickly nods her head yes. I sigh in relief that it had not blown up in my face. I heard a scream and of course I knew whose scream it was. Brianna well mixed in with Caitlyn. “What was that?” Michael asks. “Me. I uh um was just excited Tabatha agreed.” I smile looking at Lance, Brett and Alexis for help. They all nod agreeing with me. “No. It came from upstairs.” I face-palm knowing it was over as Michael goes upstairs. When he comes back down 3 people in tow with him. Brianna, Caitlyn, and Luke.

2 Days Ago
I sat perched up on the kitchen counter reading. Well more like spying on Michael. The true reason I’m here. Not to be Lance’s little princess. Which everyone thinks I am right now. I wish they didn’t. Michael was writing a letter or something of that nature on a yellow piece of note-pad paper. I could have sworn that the pen’s tip would break any second. I sort of wished it would snap so I could see the ink bust onto his clothes. Finally, he finished. He stood to go to his office for an envelope I guess so I went into the living room to have a look at the letter. When I unfolded it, I could barely make out the handwriting. “Chicken scratch.” I mumble but begin reading.
July31, 2014
It has been nearly three years since The Wave. My mother and father gone. Tabatha not the same. Now all of a sudden this girl named Citric shows up. Her and Lance remind me so much of what me and Tabatha once had. I wish we still had that love for each other. I’m not sure if anything will be the same. Rebellions have been popping up everywhere. I figured why not ban music to stop creativity and imagination. I think that is what destroyed our world in the first place. If my father had never created that virus then me and Tabatha would actually be living a normal and fulfilling life right now. I just wonder what it would be like. If I could take back those last few
That’s it?! No that’s not enough. Well it is. I did find out his dad created the virus. That explains a lot. Also that he wanted imagination and creativity gone. Did my brother and Lance know about this? Well if they needed me here I don’t think they do. I let out a sigh placing the diary thingy entry back on the table.
I went upstairs to my room to look at what all I had so far. I find the notebook hidden under the hardwood and open to a blank page writing down everything I remember. I flipped back to a few other pages. One about how he craved power. I overheard him and Tabatha talking. They were going to get rid of the others. My brother, their brother and sister. Then it dongs on me.
I race down the hallway to the rooms where my friends were secretly staying.

The very few last sentances are my absolute favorite oh and this is not the end.

PRESENT
“Who are these people?” Michael snarled. “My family thanks you very much. And they just aren’t people they are my family so correct yourself. Why is your family here? I think that is the correct way.” I replied back. “Citric.” Lance whispered in my ear. I didn’t stop though. Brett sat down in the nearest seat like he was ready to watch a movie knowing I was pretty ticked by this point and there was no stopping me. “You know Michael why are you so against outsiders being here anyways? I mean come on this isn’t your world. This is OUR world. You and Tabatha aren’t the only ones in this world. As much as y’all would probley enjoy that. Am I right? Wait I know I’m right. So let go of my friends slash family. Cause Michael right now I am the one who knows all your secrets. I know who started the virus why it was even created. Blah blah blah. And what is keeping me from exposing you is one thing.”
“And what is that one thing?” Michael snarled.
I hold up a bottle. “This. The last vile of the virus. You know you need a better hiding place instead of the 3rd draw down on your dresser.”
“H-h-how?”
“Well let’s just say. I can tell when someone is hiding something and my father was a private investigator so, I learned from the best.”
Michael lunged for the vile. I quickly took a few steps back out of his reach.
“One move and I open it.”
“So you would kill your own fiancé.” He said fiancé as if it left a bitter taste.
I realized I couldn’t hold it over Michael. If I opened it Lance, Michael and Tabatha would drop dead in the next 24 hours.
“Thought so.” Michael added.
“Leave.” I said barely above a whisper.
“You expect us to leave?” Tabatha finally speaks up.
“Yes. Yes I do.”
“Fine then. But this may not be the last time we see each other.”

6 MONTHES LATER
“I now pronounce you Mr. and Mrs. Lance Cross, you may kiss the bride.” Lance’s lips gently touched mine and everything melted away. Except for the fact I could hear Jaz whistling even if he wasn’t there.

BreakingInside BRONZE, Pinson, Alabama
OMG this means sooooo much to me!:)) Thanks! Im still not finshed. Haha. I hope to finish one day but with my friend daring me to make a book out of it that might take awhile:))

Twisted_Kid BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri

If you get something you not looking for its your fate. A fate that you made, fate is always changing everything you do turns your fate around. Nothing is not ment to be so be careful. {KARL}

i like this, you did pretty good. A moment i wish i could have