Antipole | Teen Ink

Antipole

December 23, 2011
By JMC008, Ardsley, New York
More by this author
JMC008, Ardsley, New York
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To Infinity and Beyond!"


Author's note: I was inspired by the movie "Jumper" which followed a similar premise

“Run for your life!!!” James screamed to the others. The door broke down and the agents began to fire. James and the others were antipoles, a group of people who can teleport from one point to another. The people who broke down the door were agents of a shadowy government agency who hunts down and kills antipoles to use their powers for weapons. James and others of his kind were trapped in a remote warehouse in Dubai, fighting for their lives. As he ran, James wondered, how did I get myself into this mess?

24 hours earlier…

It was November 13th. James Blade entered his math class, just waiting to be bored to death. James was struggling in school. In fact, if he doesn’t raise his average before winter vacation, he would fail the class. It seemed like a regular day, but James didn’t know that it would be the day he discovered a dangerous family secret that was kept from him. As James sat doing his work, he thought, I wish I could be relaxing in Miami resort or something. And then it happened. James was suddenly whisked away from the classroom, and suddenly, he hit his arm on the ground and fainted, without knowing that he had transported to Miami Beach.
Meanwhile, at the secret headquarters of the ADA (Antipole Destruction Agency) one of the workers said,
“Sir, I found an Antipole. He just jumped from San Diego to Miami Beach.”
“Dispatch a team” said the commanding officer. “I want it alive at the facility within 24 hours.”

James woke up in a hospital bed. He had no idea where he was, or what happened. When the Doctor told him what happened and that he had fallen and bruised his forearm, he freaked out and thought, I want to go home and he was whisked away again. This time he found himself in his bed, in his room at home. He thought, Gee. What an awful dream. Then he saw the scar on his forearm from his fall in Miami, and realized that the dream was all real. He also didn’t realize that the more he “jumped” from place to place, the easier it would be for the ADA to track him.

After school, James thought about what happened during math. How did he do what he did? What did he do? Who should he tell? Should he even tell anyone? These questions raced through his head. He never thought he was totally normal, but this was something else!
Right before bed, James went to his mom and asked, “Mom, do you know of any kind of sickness or defect that causes you to teleport?”
James’s mom’s eyes widened.
“What happened? Did you teleport? I didn’t think you were old enough yet…”
“What’s going on mom? If you have to say something, then say it”
“Sit down James, I’ve been meaning to tell you this for a long time. Ten thousand years ago, an alien race called the Regents invaded Earth. They wanted to make humanity their servants, as one phase of a master plan where they could steal the most special DNA from other races and used it to make themselves Hyper-Evolve. Selected humans were injected with a gene that caused them to teleport from any place on earth so they could round up people with the gene quicker so they could be destroyed for their DNA. When the Regents were finally defeated by those who possessed the gene, everyone else felt they had to be eradicated because they thought they were the last remnants of Regents civilization on earth. There was even a theory stating that Antipoles could be used as tracking Beacons for the Regents to find their way back to earth! Only males can possess the gene. You and your father are some of the people who the gene was passed to over time.”
James sat down and took it all in. How could this possibly be true? He thought about and realized that it did explain why his dad was missing and why he ended up in Hawaii, but he still had a hard time believing it.
James’s mom sat down and gave him a small Swiss Army Knife.
“James” she said. “This is very important, you will eventually need it”
James pocketed the knife and said, “Okay mom, I believe you” said James “but can I control this power?”
“Yes. But it takes immense mental strength and attitude to do so. When you transported, what were you thinking?”
“I was so bored and so angry with myself and I just…disappeared and woke up in Miami”
“Oh my god” she said “we have to get you out of here”

“Why?”
“The ADA”
“The what? Wait a minute mom………”
And then he was cut off. Suddenly, a huge explosion ripped through the roof and James and his mom dove for the door. On the way, he heard the roar of the helicopter that had just dropped a grenade on the roof of his house. He heard machine gun fire directed his way, and wondered if he would make it out alive. When they finally took cover behind a car parked on the street, James asked, “who are they and why are they trying to kill us?”
“It’s the Antipole Destruction Agency, or ADA. They kill people with the Regent gene and use it for government experimentation.”
“Well that would have been good to know before they blew the roof up!!!” screamed James over the roar of the helicopter. “What’s an antipole?”
“The ADA’s nickname for a person with the Regent gene.” She said. “So, are you planning on telling me what happened in Hawaii?”
So we got into the car, drove away, and James told her the whole story.
“Oh my god.” Said James’s mom, “You’re lucky you got out of there before the ADA came for you.”
“I didn’t know about them yet” said James. “I was so afraid that I would never make it back.” “That’s probably what triggered the jump.”
“We need to find an Exregent…”
“What’s an Exregent?” asked James.
“A person who protects antipoles” she said. “I know a guy in Dubai. We’re going to have to stay with him until the time is right.”
“Why?”
“Because, the ADA must have all of San Diego surrounded by now. They live to murder antipoles like you, James, and I can’t lose you like your father.”
Angrily, James thought, WHAT? If she knew what happened to dad then why didn’t she tell me? It was enough to keep this anti…anti whatever! I want the truth and I want it now!
“Mom” said James, “please tell me what happened to dad”
“Okay” she said, “you’ve earned it. Twenty years ago, your father was part of a resistance group fighting for the disbandment of the ADA. We had just started dating and I always wondered why he fought for this. I didn’t know he was an antipole yet, but I always knew there was something…unique about him. When I finally discovered the truth after you were born, I was shocked that he would keep something from me, so I threw him out in anger of his lies. One month later, he hadn’t returned and I was scared. It turns out that him and his resistance group tried to save captured antipoles from an ADA prison in Ethiopia. Him, along with his entire group, were captured and presumed dead. To this day, I believe it was my fault for taking the truth so seriously that caused his…disappearance.
Many thoughts raced through James’s head. Why would he keep such a huge secret from mom? Why would he just go off to Ethiopia without telling her? James was disappointed because he always imagined his father as a good person, not part of some ragtag resistance group.
“Well, here we are at the airport” she said.

James looked up at Los Angeles International Airport. It was huge, unlike anything he had seen before.
“Okay, James. We need to stay low and stowaway on a flight bringing cargo to Dubai. All of the security is out looking for us.”
As James ran through the crowds to make the flight, he dropped his cell phone. When going to get it, his mom screamed, “NOOO!”
Before he could respond, six armed security guards were already on to him. James and his mom smashed through the crowd, knocking people over, running on top of baggage claim conveyor belts, and finally, right before he made it to the cargo hold of the plane, the guards grabs his mom, and fired. I never thought it would end this way he thought. Why couldn’t I just live a normal life? And then he realized there was a way. He could teleport. So, he took a deep breath and jumped into the air. The agents were amazed to see that the bullets they fired went through his disappearing image.
“Where’d the kid go?”
“I thought we killed him.”
“Let’s just get out of here.”
Before he could say anything more, James reappeared behind him, kicked him in the shin, and grabbed him by the neck.
“Let me go kid, it’s not like you can hurt me” said the security guard.
Then James remembered the knife.
“Oh can’t I.”
He pulled out the knife, stuck out screw driver part, stabbed the guard in the Abdomen, killing him, and shot the other two with the fallen one’s gun.
“Let’s get out of here” said James to his mom.
And as they entered the cargo hold, James’s mom tripped on the ramp and screamed,
“Save yourself, James! Run and don’t look back”
James ran and hid behind the wheel of the plane, and could only as his mother wrestled with the guard.
“Save yourself!” she kept screaming.
James didn’t know what to do. Should he save himself or his mother? He then began to run towards his mother, but skidded to a halt when he heard the gunshot. He could only watch in horror as his mother hit the ground.

“NOOOO!” screamed James.
The guards saw him behind the wheel and began to fire at him. He didn’t know what to do, so he jumped on top of the wheel, and slowly, the plane started to move, and once the wheel began to fold into the plane, he transported into the cargo hold, and looked at his mother’s body one last time before he climbed into a box of cargo, and fainted.
James awakened to an unusual smell of food. He didn’t whether it was breakfast lunch or dinner. But he did realize he was out of the plane and on a couch overlooking the night sky over the Burj Kalifa, the tallest building in the world.
“So at last, you awaken” said an unknown voice.
“You’re the Exregent, aren’t you” said James. Before saying anything else, he realized that everything that had happened in the last 6 hours was true, so his mother really was dead. If only I had more time he thought. I could have saved her.

“How did you know my mom?” said James.

“We had made a deal that, as long as she lives, I will do her the favor of protecting you and other Antipoles. But, now that she is dead, the deal isn’t valid anymore.”

“What do you mean? I thought you…”

He couldn’t finish his sentence; four ADA agents had surrounded him. One of them gave the man a pile of money and said,

“Good Job, you’ve certainly earned your pay this time.”

“You’re not an exregent, you’re an ADA agent!” said James. “My mother never should have trusted scum like you.”

“Watch your mouth kid, or I’ll have it cut off. Take him to the warehouse”

As he was dragged out of the room, James spit in his betrayer’s direction.

James awoke in what seemed to be an old storage warehouse, and he heard a faint voice say,

“He’s awake”

James jumped up startled and reached into his back pocket. Where was the knife? And a boy, not much older than him jumped in front of him and said,

“Welcome to death row, Antipole, who captured you?”

“Who are you, and where am I?”

“You are in a Warehouse owned by the ADA in which they keep Antipoles as test subjects for their lethal experiments. My name is John, and I have this funny feeling that you might be the person who finally helps us escape from this prison. Don’t feel bad, I’ve been stuck here for most of my life. The ADA thinks that when they capture Antipoles as kids, they can stop them and take away their power.”

“What?”

“At an adolescent age, an Antipole’s Regent gene can be removed, but it kills them. That’s why we’re here. We’re kept as prisoners until we are harvested for our DNA.”
“We can’t let that happen then” Said James. “We’re breaking out tonight. I have a plan...”

After he briefed all the captured Antipoles on the plan, James had finally embraced his destiny of becoming a great leader. He had told them all to hide in separate areas in an “X” formation and he pulled the alarm. A whole legion of ADA troops believed had come to seize the warehouse and capture the “escaped” prisoners, but little did they know it was all part of James’s Plan.

Funny, isn’t it? The insane chain of events that got me into this mess, James thought. He and other Antipoles were escaping, as his plan to overwhelm the ADA with the power of all of the Antipoles teleporting was failing. But he didn’t know that the ADA had ways to track a transporter.

James ran as fast as could, dodging the shots until he felt a sharp pain in his left foot. He tried to limp forward, but he couldn’t take the pain. Where are you, John? Thought James, but before he could think anymore. He felt a gun on the back off his head.

“Get up, filth” said the trooper. “I love watching your kind die” he continued “It makes me happy inside, like I was when I killed your mother.”

James had had enough, he took the guard’s gun, whacked him in the face with it (incapacitating him), and began to crawl towards the door. Just as he had made it about 5 feet away, John appeared in front of him, and before he could say anything, he saw John’s fist and darkness.

“Where am I?” said James. He looked around and saw a vast laboratory, filled with advanced machinery and along the walls he saw other people, young and old, in Cryostasis chambers.

“Welcome to our most advanced facility” said a dark voice, “This is where we rid the world of Antipoles like you, and we do it very efficiently.”

“Let me go!” screamed James. “You have no idea who you’re dealing with.”

“Oh really.” Said the voice, “we’ve dealt with much worse than you. As a matter of fact, I would kill you myself, but your regent-enhanced genes are much too useful to waste.”

James then realized he was just another Antipole being harvested for his genes. He would not just be another. He would be the one who fought back. He would avenge every Antipole who had been destroyed by the ADA. He realized only his legs were chained, so he reached into his back pocker, and strangely enough, the knife was there, so he threw it at a control panel, knocking out his restraints.
“Don’t let him escape!” screamed the voice. “Sound the alarm”

James broke free of his cuffs, grabbed his knife, and transported to the observatory tower of the facility. There he saw John overlooking an ADA firing squad murdering Antipoles.

“At last, you come” he said.

“Who are you?” said James.

“I am an ADA lieutenant. I disguised myself as a child in the warehouse to trick you into trying to attacking, so you would be brought here. This is only the beginning! That knife you carry is a tracking device left here by the Regents that can only be activated by you! If you defeat us, they will come and enslave earth once more!

James was shocked. He should have known that “John” was an undercover ADA official. This means that the ADA troops who attacked him had known exactly what his plan to defeat them was, and that his mother must have known that the knife was a beacon and given it to him to protect, so her death was also part of the ADA scheme!? Maybe she’s still alive! He thought, I must find the truth of all this!

John pulled a knife from his left pocket and threw it at James, who with surprising speed, grabbed the knife from the air and threw it back, and watched as it sunk into his left knee.

He screamed in pain as the knife sunk into his flesh. His true form was then revealed. All of his outer skin exploded off and turned red. He then tripled in size, and before James knew it, he was faced with a 10 foot tall, huge, red, mutated menace.

“It’s over, Antipole” it said, “no one has ever defeated me! My enhanced abilities come from injections from Antipole genetic material!

James knew he had limited options. He had lost the knife, and there were no weapon-like materials in sight. He would have to figure something out. Before he could think of anything, the monster charged at him, and he dove out of the way as the monster smashed into the wall. He then realized that he could drive the monster to the edge of the platform and out the window. He ran for the control panel and screamed,

“Hey Ugly! I’m right here!”

The monster ran towards him with extreme speed, but he knew what to do. He took a deep breath and teleported behind the monster as it smashed the observatory window and fell hundreds of feet to its death. He picked up his knife, which had an eerie glow to it, and realized the truth, He had beaten the ADA. But little did he know, it was far from over.

In the Far Reaches of Outer Space…

A huge regent fleet has just emerged from a wormhole.
“Commander, the Tracking Beacon has gone off!” said one of the regent pilots.
“That means we have found The One at last” said the ship’s commander, “set a course for Earth immediately. At last we will have our revenge!”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.