New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Beholder

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next »

Chapter One

“My, oh my, what a beautiful sixteen daughter I have…Oh how you grew up so fast.” My mother said as she helped tie the stings on the back of my indigo dress, making it harder to breath with each time she pulled on the strings. “Darlin, just look how beautiful you are.” She said wrapping her arms around me, with her head prompted up on my shoulder as she stared at our reflection in the mirror. I took a deep breath,
“I can’t believe today is already my birthday!” I said smiling back at her. “Neither can I, well come on we have a long day ahead of us!” My mother said as she grabbed my hand and led me down the stairs, into the kitchen, and out the door to the carriage that waited for us.
“Where are we going!?” I asked as the carriage man opened the door for me. Taking my seat, I looked up at him just before he closed the door shut; our eyes locked as I took in his face. He had dark black curls, high cheek bones; his nose had a slight point to it, and his lips were fairly large. But the characteristic really stood out from the rest were his eyes, for I have never seen these kinds of eyes in all my years. They looked rather strange, and reminded me much of cats eyes. They had a pure gold hu to them, and the pupils were thin slits shaped like a diamond. Right below his left eye was a scar that was formed almost like a tear. Realizing that I was still staring at him I blinked several times, and felt my cheeks redden as I smiled and said thanks.
“It’s a surprise” She said with a smirk on her face. The whole time my mother and I were in the carriage the man stared at us through his rearview mirror.
“We’re here!” My mother said and was literally jumped out of her seat when the man opened her door.
“Where are we?” I asked as I shut the door behind me, and looked around seeing little shops set up all along the streets walkways.
“We, my dear are in Kareoshima; this is the town where your old ma grew up in. This is also the place where I gave birth to you.” She breathed in the cool morning air, and exhaled deeply. “Oh how much I missed this place!” she said as she pulled me closer to her, and walked the roads of her hometown.

“Oh Olivia come look at this!” She said as she ran up to a booth with a man standing behind it.
“Coming.” I said as I tried to walk through the giant mass of people I lost my mother in, pushing to get to where I had seen her standing.
“Look at this stunning painting; it’s the most exquisite piece of artwork I have ever seen!” I heard her say through the crowd of people.
“Wow, that painting is really pretty! Are you going to buy it? I asked when I finally reached where she was standing. The women holding the picture looked up at me.
“I…I’m so sorry mama, I thought you were someone else.” I said both taken back and bewildered. I looked around in the crowed of faces, none of which was my mom’s. Panic stricken I ran everywhere trying to find her. I asked the towns people around me if they’ve seen where she’s went, but it was an utter waste of time. None of them spoke the same language as I did. As I turned around to begin my search I found my mother with a dirty rag covering her mouth. She was being dragged into a chapel by two repugnant men. Both men were wearing fearsome masks, which made it impossible for me to identify their faces. In seconds I was running against the crowd of people screaming her name full of fear once again. I felt as if I was running against time. Not realizing my surroundings a mass of different colors and faces past me, as I accidentally bumped into an old woman knocking the bag of fruit out of her hands. “I am so sorry madam,” I said as we both knelt down and picked up the fruit I ever so clumsily bruised.
“It’s quite alright, accidents happen,” She said as her hand brushed against mine while she grabbed the pomegranate off of the pebble stone road. I looked up at her in surprise as soon as she spoke, realizing she spoke English. She looked up at me to find my eyes on hers; she soon realized my distress deeply contained by my eyes. The gypsy took me by the hands and helped me to my feet with her eyes still locked on mine. Without the use of words she spoke a hidden language through her violet tinted eyes. Her thoughts became a part of mine, as I watched the vision flash over to my mother.

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is really intense, keep writing!

KaylaMc716This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm :
thank you :)