Past the gates of Calabar | Teen Ink

Past the gates of Calabar

By Rap_up21 SILVER, Yuma, Arizona
Rap_up21 SILVER, Yuma, Arizona

"DON'T TOUCH MY COOOOOKKKIE!!!!!!!!!"

"Some one, help he bleeding in the hall, and he... he... ahhhhhhhhhh!" "Man that movie was awesome." said Parker. I had known parker since we meet at the river when our dads had been fishing for river clams and catfish. It had been the first summer that I had since I got here in Johnson, Mississippi and it turned out to be over the top for me. "Hey you scared or are you tripping again.” he asked. "Dude you know I'm off the marijuana I hate it when you bring that up." I had only been 11 when I found a stash of marijuana in my brother’s closet took me a long time to get back my normal life.
"Hey dude did you get the tickets to the concert?" I looked at him awkwardly like 'what the heck are you talking about'."Dude the tickets to the concert that you and I are going to!"."Oh &%*! I forgot I’ll bring them to you tomorrow ok."."Tomorrow never comes." he said, and then he walked off to his house. Then suddenly I heard a voice in my head, the voice of a girl screaming.
I saw a light in the ally next to the theater. As I ran over there I saw a girl when I got closer I noticed she was half naked on the ground, bleeding! I thought how did she get there, was she a rape victim, as I got closer she jumped up and said, “Help me!” , I gave her my jacket it was just big enough to make it look like she was wearing short shorts. I went to a store and got her some clothes and walked her back to my house.”What happened to you, how did you ge…,” she cut me off and then kissed me on the cheek, “I came from a land called Demoria, a land of mythical creatures of all kinds, this land is ruled by an evil overlord name Ramos.” Then she went silent. I told her to come with me and I lead her to my old neighbor’s house he wasn’t there anymore but he left his bed and dresser so I said she could live in there.
Every night I would go to bed thinking about her the girl in the ally, ‘Man are you a pervert’ I say to myself. The next morning I woke up and right beside me in my bed was the girl from the ally, I tell her not to do that, she looks at me awkwardly. I ask her to go back to the other house and I would meet her there soon. I went over to the house and she was there on the bed completely still, I asked if she had a cell phone. “What is a cell phone,” she asked.”It is the 21st century and you’ve never heard of a cell phone?”.”It is not the 21st century.” She said, “It is the 20th.”
“What wait who is the president of the U.S.?” I asked, “Nixon” she replied. ‘Oh no’ I thought to myself, ‘she must have been stuck in that world for a long time, “Hey how long have you been in Demoria?” I asked, “I’ve been there for thirteen years my family goes back for at least ten generations.” ‘Time must move differently there, then thinking to myself what to do next. “How did you get out of Demoria alive? “ I asked, then she pulled out a rock bright blue and to smooth to be anything from this world, “There are more of these, but I need to find them so the Horath don’t get to this world and turn it to a barren waste land to.” “The only way to see them is to receive a kiss from an Emunite like me.” She said, “And that is the reason why I kissed you.” I touched my cheek to feel it; there was a strange scar on it now. “So what do they look like, Lizards, Dragons?” I asked, “No they are far more powerful and they take the shape of man, only with jet black hair, and razor sharp teeth, and pitch black eyes that see your worst fears!” she went on to describe it even further, the shear horror that she must have seen in my eyes, yet she seemed so calm towards the subject.
She also explained that the Horath had a blood lust that could never be stopped; nothing you could say or do would ever stop them they would kill for the sheer pleasure of it and take trophies of the bodies of the world’s leaders. ”So how do we stop them!”
The next day I asked her to use the rock to take me to the land of Demoria. I had my stuff packed and ready to go. “Are you sure about this, it is dangerous in Demoria and you may not come back alive?” “I have no plans to die today.” I said, it sounded awkward, then she handed me a knife from her boot and gave it to me. “You are going to need this.” She said then she gestured for me to touch the stone, she put my hand on it then hers, she started a weird other worldly chant, and then everything went dark. We ended up on a grassy plain, like the ones in Africa, she said, “Get up we need to keep moving otherwise,” she was cut off from her sentence by a rustling in the grass. We looked over and there was a plant with the face of a rabbit. “It looks harmless to me.” I said, “No” she said, “It is dangerous, watch.” She threw a pebble towards it and a strange root popped out of the ground and pulled it down under the plant. “Earthen fig, get to close and you’ll be buried alive.” ‘Wow’ I thought, ‘How can it do that?’
We ran for miles, we took a break only when night feel. “You take the first watch, if anyone comes by; remember what a Horath looks like.” I nodded my head, she fell asleep on the rough ground no blanket or mat, straight ground. Around midnight she awoke and took watch, it felt good to sleep after tireless nights of wondering where she came from, I dreamed of her, kissing me again but this time on the lips, she was wearing a dress that was bright yellow and had a big flower on her right shoulder, and she thanked me for saving her, saving her from what. Then I awoke, around dawn and we started moving again. I thought most of that day about asking her if she liked me but couldn’t. I just couldn’t resist her straight blonde hair, blue-green eyes, and slim angular body.
We finally reached a hole in the ground big enough for a person to walk inside but small enough to be hidden by one of the gigantic leaves in the trees over head. She led me inside and sat me down by the wall, and then an old man walked in with milky white eyes, a long gray beard and mustache, and a bald head. “Who have you brought me this time Caria, another weak one I suppose?” ‘Weak one’ I looked at him with rage but he couldn’t see it, “Your mad now aren’t you I can feel it,” he said, “I can feel vibrations from your body and tell what you are feeling, you are feeling rage.” He said in a weak voice. How could he fell the vibrations, this world was getting weirder, and weirder every minute. “You aren’t of this world are you?”, “No sir I am not, and I come from the united states, on earth.”
That response seemed to shock him he twitched, and then he feel to his knees, “Tell me do you know a man by the name of James Malevalent Hart?”, “That is my name, why” he replied, “our savior is here, hail the almighty god he is here.” I was confused again, why was I the savior, what did I do to deserve this. “The prophecy speaks of you, the savior willing to die to free this land.” ‘Wait, die, sorry I’m not able to die yet I don’t even know much about you people yet, and I’m going to die for you?’ my mind was racing, “Uhhh…I’m not ready to die yet!” “Grandfather let me take him to the weapons smith, he doesn’t know how to survive in this land, let me teach him.”, “Very well, you may teach him.” Then she dragged me out of the hole and into the sun light it was the same as when we went in, “How come everything looks the same”, “in there time doesn’t matter, so time doesn’t move.”
This time we walked through the forest, it felt like something was watching us, waiting to strike. We set up camp under an old tree and I took the first watch, about half an hour later I heard a noise, then some one came up behind me, a tall man he said, “Hello, how are you this evening?”, “Fine, and you are?” I replied, “That is not important, you are in danger please come with me.”, he said, “I’d rather not.” I replied then he looked at me, his eyes were pitch black, like a Horath then he lunged, I found the knife that Caria gave me and pulled it out, just in time to hit him right in his heart. He fell to the ground and didn’t move, and then he started to burn from around the knife, and turned to ash in a few seconds. Caria awoke to see men with my hands covered in ash, “Did you fight a Horath”, she asked, “Yes, he wasn’t very clever.”, “He was probably a young one, about eight years old.” I said, but he was six feet tall, and muscular!”, “They have different growth patterns than we do, and they are even more vicious when they get older.”
We traveled for three more days, when we got to the weapons smith he had agreed to help train me, six months had past and I didn’t know if I was ready to fight them yet but I had to try. We set off the next day with fresh supplies, new weapons of our own making (well half of mine were with help from Caria), and we had gotten to the gates of the city of Calabar. We went into the city gates and we were unsuspected, until a guard sniffed us out and attacked. It was an all out war in the middle of the city, arrows flew, and swords slashed, it was almost too easy, we had cleared the streets of the Horath and it was calm again. She had turned her back to the palace and said, “We need to get to the palace were Ramos is, and kill him,” I nodded my head and just as she turned around an arrow whizzed through the air and struck her, in the center of the chest. She dropped to the ground the sight was almost unbearable, it seemed like it lasted forever the look in her eyes as the arrow struck was shear horror.
I ran to her side, and caught her before she hit the ground, I could feel her, growing weaker in my arms she said in a gasping voice, “Better me than you, right.”, “No that arrow was for me to take.” Just then I heard an evil laugh, like a hyena, I looked up to see the most muscular Horath I had ever seen. “I, Ramos, am all powerful, none shall defy me, those who do come and face me and meet your doom.” Outraged, I ran up the palace steps to meet him, the evil that radiated from him had a certain definition to it, just then he jumped down right in front of me, landing almost on my toes. I could smell his breath, like that of a thousand rotting carcasses, “You dare defy me young one, you will pay the price for your insolence.” Then a split second later we locked in battle the sword he had carried was glowing with black fire, his head tattooed in weird arrangements, and his power was unbearable.
My rage pushed me on, a hopeless fight never to be won, but I noticed he was sloppy in his sword fighting, he was slipping up a lot and when he gently grid his sword I disarmed him. He said, “Please give me mercy.”, “Give you mercy!!!” I said, “Like the mercy you and your minions gave to all those people.” Then it was over, I put the sword right through his chest and he died right there and then, the ash he had turned to was red, unlike normal ash. The I saw a bottle in the ash, it was marked clearly, ‘Resurrection potion’ then a spark of hope lit in my heart. I grabbed the bottle and ran to where Caria was, I knelt down next to her and put a few drops into her mouth, first nothing, and then she started to cough. The hole in her chest where the arrow had been, the arrow had evaporated and then the hole healed itself, she sat up and hugged me. ”Thank you; you really were the savior of this land.”
We had made it back and she took me to her village, they had thrown a big party in my honor, thanking me for saving them I went to go see what Caria was doing. I went to her hut just to see her coming out of her room, wearing a bright yellow dress, with a flower on her right shoulder, I escorted her out of the hut and asked her to dance. “Yes I would love to.” she said, “thank you for asking me.” We had danced, and danced, and danced until dawn then we went back to her hut. “I love you James and I don’t want to ever be away from you.” Then she kissed me and said, “thank you for saving me.” (Am I phycic or what?). We went on to make a family and had two beautiful children.
We lived on till I was about twenty-five and I was going through her old memory chest, then I saw a blue stone, I remembered, so I said the chant and I was in the same place when I had first gone into Demoria. I ran back to my old house to find my mom crying, on the couch, and then she looked up. She ran up and hugged me, crying, “You’ve been gone for weeks where have you been?” she said, “Saving lives.” I answered. I couldn’t get her out of my head, that blonde hair, those blue green eyes, and that slim body, I might never see her again then again never might just be tomorrow. So I reached for the stone and said the magic words.

on Oct. 19 2011 at 9:42 am
Rap_up21 SILVER, Yuma, Arizona

"DON'T TOUCH MY COOOOOKKKIE!!!!!!!!!"

I knew it needed more work it is to short, and it dose need chapters.

Heyoh said...
Needs work, grammar, split it into chapters. Besides that great base. ☺