Stalking The Night | Teen Ink

Stalking The Night

By MariaMarie DIAMOND, Washington Court House, Ohio
MariaMarie DIAMOND, Washington Court House, Ohio

"Life's a mountain on a beach"-Unknown
"Will: This is either madness or brilliance. Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide."-Pirates of the Caribbean:Curse of the Black Pearl.

Author's note: I originally wrote this over three years ago and have re-edited it and added in parts. I hope you like it!

It was a dark and silent night.A black cloaked figure walked swiftly against the cold,dead air. Babies' cries could be heard from miles away. Teens wrenching with laughter can be heard from a drive-in-movie,where John Travolta's voice was beating loud and clear.
The night's stillness brought an uneasy dangerous feeling about the young woman in the cloak. With blond hair, blue eyes, a face so pale it was the color of a sheet, and such a stricken face, she almost appeared as a skeleton. And the closer you got, the more she seemed a skeleton. She knew where she was going and she knew why.

It was a bright and sunny day. Daniell was awoken with the greatest excitement! Two days 'til Halloween! They, meaning his dad and he, were going costume hunting!
"Daddy!!!"He went screaming down the hall. It was such a bright day that no lights were needed to see in the normally dark lime green hallway that haunted several apartments on their block.
John,a grave-yard cop had peeked his head out of the covers as his son jumped on his legs, screaming above his lungs. He hadn't gotten home until three A.M. and only got a minimum of three and a half hours of sleep.
As he watched his four year old, blond haired son grasp his feet (which lay on the pillows at the head of his bed) he couldn't help but wonder why Danny's mother would ever abandon him. Such a sweet, small boy in such a huge world.
Then as his son shrieked, "Daddy,your head shrunk!" He flung himself up,and started tickling Danny. He tickled him 'til his little ribs hurt, he tickled him until Danny cried of laughter,and he tickled him until pure joy sang through the little boy's big brown eyes.
An hour later they were in the Satin Super-Market; Danny was looking through the costumes. There was so much to choose from but he just couldn't decide which costume. He could be a vampire,a ghost,a witch,the devil,or maybe an angel! He could also choose to be a soldier but he was always into more mystical,and magical things.
John was watching his son as he fiddled with his own brown hair;It kept lying in the path of his thick grey eyes.
"I've finally decided! I'm going to be an invisible, blood drinking angel, with horns and a wand!" He explained.
"Why don't you just be a soldier?" Said the unsurprised father. He had a faint awareness of someone watching yet no one was in sight.
After paying for the costumes they left for Abi's Pizza; Danny's favorite place to go. It was located in the middle of down-town.
"Yummm. This is good!" Ever since he could chew, Danny's favorite food was pizza and brownies. His first word that he ever muttered was actually "Pizza!"
When Danny was done eating he went off to play arcade-games. Watching him run across the room, John noticed a shadowy figure in a back corner. Her gaze was piercing him like fire pierces wood. Her pale face against the shiny blond hair that lay curled to her head gave her the appearance of a queen. He felt odd when looking into her eyes: His heart began to race and his palms sweat.
She was wearing an orange layered summer dress with a yellow belt going around her middle. Adorning her feet were yellow strapped sandals and a pink colored cloak over her shoulders. It gave her the look of a teacher but there seemed to be more hiding.
John began to feel nervous, stunned, and a little confused. His mind began to mix thoughts and he felt as if he were going to pass out.
'What's going on?' He wondered, 'why do I feel so... odd suddenly?' He looked away to take a drink of iced tea then sneaked a peek to find her still watching him; she was wringing her hands beneath the table. 'I feel like I know her...as if something is pressing on my memory.' He glanced away and took a giant gulp of his tea. Choking on a piece of ice, he looked back up and watched her uncertain face turn hard and her eyes go to stone. She no longer looked like a Queen, she looked like a skeleton in a different person's clothing.
Slowly but timidly, she got up. She began to rush toward the exit but slowed her pace just enough as she left for John to get one last glimpse into her focused, hallowed, yet too familiar eyes. As she turned to the door he could barely hear a soft whisper that probed through the shadows. He heard her utter, with bitter forcefulness, the name Ryannah.
'What a strange woman' he thought, 'I wish I could remember her but I can't... why can't I? Wait a minute, isn't she-'
"Daddy, Daddy! I WON! I beat the game and look! I got this awesome thingey mcbobber thingey!!! It looks so awesome! I think it's an alium that's visiting from outer space!"
John laughed, "An alium huh? Well, what do ya know? You got a new toy and I have a new word to add to my dictionary!"

She was here: she knew it.
This time she wouldn't let her sister get ahead of her. Last time she did, her plan almost failed.
'I must be more careful!' is all that her mind was uttering, 'One more mistake like that one and my death is sure to come: but how to get past it? How may I ever save that sweet sincere boy from his own mother?'

"My sister is close by; I can feel it." Slithered Ryannah. Which, if snakes could speak English, would no doubt be misinterpreted as it's voice.
"Are you absolutely sure?" Pressed Parline as he watched her face grow red with anger. He still had a lot to learn.
"If I wasn't sure I wouldn't have mentioned it, Now would I?" Spat Ryannah. Her blood red hair suited her Personality just right as she tried not to suppress her anger and resentment at all. 'How could I get stuck with such a Half-Blood!' She thought, 'Of all the ones, I got stuck with this Dud!'
She turned and began their long journey down the dark, smelly, must filled tunnel. Her sister was quite the brain. Funny, she had thought to herself, in my years being the oldest meant you had all the brains but her family was the opposite.
"She's getting closer." Said Ryannah as she rounded a bend in the tunnel, "Do you smell that Parline? Manure. My sister is quite the trick. You see, she loves humans so much that she doesn't dare touch one. Although she is merely a protector of Humans, She still must drink blood for it to continue running through her veins. That is the only way for her to continue to be immortal. Instead of drinking from something close though she goes after bats or cows near farms. Manure is the only weakness of full-blooded vampire's sense of smell."
"I'm sorry, but what's a Protector?" Asked Parline.
Ryannah let out a scowl.
"A protector is an extremely powerful witch. She or he is meant to protect humans against anything magical that wants to harm them. They're also very famously known as Millicents. With their strength, any creature would be mortified to be in ones presence. Of course I'm not, because Millicent runs through my blood. Since I've gotten rid of my entire family the only threat to me is my young sister Pizzah. And before you open that huge mouth of yours-no, not all Millicents are good; those of which are banished but aren't always caught run free and do as their evil desires please. No Parline, YOU are not a Millicent. Millicents get their power one way and one way only,...Through blood. Family blood."
She had noticed his ashened face as he followed her footsteps down the dark slabbed tunnel: A question tearing at his lips. She let out a growl. 'Oh mercy, what is it now?!' She asked herself.
"I'm sorry Ryannah but... I still don't understand. What magical creatures would be afraid of a millicent?" Pushed Parline, "Especially the worst feared of all?"
"The Polet Banshee fears it more than any creature alive! Unlike most banshees, the polet is more like a vampire than anything; Considering it descends off the first known vampire to man. But guessing by the look on your face you have no idea what a Polet Banshee is. So, listen up Dork-anncelott! I won't explain it again! A Polet Banshee sucks the soul out of human children for food. They do so by Suspending the child on a flat wooden table with metal bands that snaps shut on their wrists and ankles. Then they make sure the child is unconscious by giving it a drug they make themselves: They inject it with a needle. Next, they would place the thing in a black coffin for the whole night. The following morning is feeding time; As the child wakes up they hook a hand-made thing up to it's chest where the heart rests. The device slowly sucks the warmth from their bodies to make them even more frightened. The blood, therefore, beats faster through their body. With the child conscious and well aware of the pain coursing through their whole entire being, the Polet's drink; Biting through the child's skin all at once. Imagine it: nine to ten un-human creatures biting into your skin all at once! HaHaHaHa! I can see it happening! I was invited to one not long ago. It was quite the show. Anyhow, They would drink with the child's cry blasting through the cave; The sound so vivid it would be torched into your brain forever... if you had a heart that is. After-words, the leader would take her claw and very easily push it about an inch into the child's body, about half an inch under their collar bone, with five inches of the claw still left out. Then the leader would pull the claw down their front, ripping open the skin. What little blood that was left would start trickling out and one by one each Banshee would rip out an organ and start to feast. The heart and lungs would be saved for last so the child could take many more penetrating breaths. The pain would feel like fire lapping at your skin but you never die and it never leaves. Then, slowly, it drifts into a Painful beyond notion of death." She smiled and paused to look at the horror that shown on Parline's face."Of course there is always what they do with the remains after the death: The skin is sewn into clothes, the little amount of blood is stored for another meal when running low, the bones rest as furniture in the den, and the child's soul that was supposed to go on to the after-life joins the banshee's that ate the heart; for that is where the soul truly lies. With this, the banshee's power and youth returns stronger. Alas the Polet must feast once a month on the morning of the full moon."
"But, If they are as you say Ryannah, why fear a Millicent?"
"Because. A Millicent can kill a Polet banshee if skilled enough and when one is killed, all the souls they've collected comes pouring out of them. All the torture they put those souls through now would course through their own bodies at once. It is... a terrible way to die but well deserved."
She turned her head upward; Something was listening, Something was there. And if Parline was any bit smart he'd notice but of course, he didn't. 'So what am I to do?' she asked herself... 'Keep talking. Keep talking- that's the only way.' Then she went on explaining what a Polet Banshee was, keeping her eyes and ears open. But of course, Parline never noticed anything.

"Ugh! This manure is making my nostrils bleed!" Cried Pizzah in disgust.
"Well, your the one who suggested it." Said James as he tied up a piece of garlic to a fence post. "I thought that garlic thing was just a myth."
"Oh,it is.You see, the truth is, most vampires are actually allergic to garlic and my sister is one of them. Ryannah can't even touch one or she brakes out in a terrible rash." Explained Pizzah. When she saw him looking at her to the garlic she went on, "I'm not allergic though and you certainly aren't."
"Obviously." Said James,"Do you smell that?" He asked as his face screwed up into tight lines.
"No, I can't smell anything over the manure. Remember what i told you about the sense of smell? It was the same time I told you about the Polet."
"Oh, right. Well, it's sort of like-rotting eggs and-" He sniffed the air, "oh, I don't know, the worse smell you could probably encounter on a farm. Kinda like... dead fish."
"It must be my sister." Said Pizzah with a sigh,"Have you ever heard of Tethology?" As he shook his head she went on,"Well first i need to tell you this: I am not a vampire so quite covering your neck."
"Sorry!" James quickly pulled down his shirt collar.
"Yes, most of the things you've heard is in fact true, but you see, my sister was bit on the neck when she was young- young and foolish. But she wants people to think she is full-blooded. A Millecent is not a vampire though they can be. Ryannah was a millicent before she killed our whole family. Once a vampire tastes blood, they can never go back. Within doing so she lost all-courtesy of a Millicent but she still holds all the power of one. Once you're a Millicent you remain one for the rest of your undead life. Some Millicents live peaceful lives and die while others have a purpose and work to keep themselves alive; like me. I see you are even more confused than before so let me explain in more simple words."
She took a big breath.
"OK, Once you are titled a Millicent, you will always hold that title, no-matter what you become. Millicents are generally strong wizards or witches. Most commonly they skip generations in families: the odds of coming across a Millicent are slim to none; very few remain in this world today. A Millicent may loose respect but all the title really means is that they have great power beyond this universe. Humans can not be Millicents for they have no magical power. Most Millicents have power within their souls and very few have weaknesses but there is always one weakness that can kill them faster than death can come. I know what my true weakness is... my sister almost killed me with it when i was 16; she gave it to me as a gag gift. She was, I believe, 18. Since she was the only one who knew what it was, only she and I know the substance. It hasn't slipped pass either of our lips because she wants to kill me herself and I certainly don't need anymore competition. In truth, I am not a vampire...actually, no one in my family has ever been a vampire except Ryannah. Like I said, She was bit at a young age and many events followed after-ward. She still is a Millicent for her power but she is not a respected one. So, Now do you understand? A Millicent can be a vampire but most commonly are not in-less they are evil. Ryannah is not only a vampire, but also a Millicent. I am just a Millicent. You are just a wizard in training. One thing my sister has forgotten is that Millicents do not need blood to stay alive. All they need is love to live and my heart rests with Danny and his father."

"Daddy, how far away is Halloween anyway?" Young Danny asked innocently as his father drove the family van down a narrow street.
"Oh, I'd say about a month-" His father laughed out as he watched Danny trying to count the days up on his hand.
Halloween had always been Danny's favorite holiday to prepare for and now it's coming again.

'My, how time passes.'Thought John.
Danny started bursting with questions and laughter... but then grew strangely quiet when right out of the blue something rushed in-front of the car. The pale moonlight just verily tapped it with a light streak of white. John swerved but to no advantage; the van had hit it head-on. He told Danny to stay put and got out of the vehicle.

"Parline, MUST i go through this again?! Your like a kakoon that hasn't yet bloomed!" Ryannah wailed, about ready to loose her temper.
"Yeah, yeah,I'M the one with problems!" Muttered Parline under his breath, once more forgetting the well developed hearing that Ryannah has managed to muster.
Her face began to grow red, her eyes glazed over.She knew that if she opened her mouth it would be nothing but a wrenching shriek and her sister would be sure to hear it. She had to keep her mouth shut but that just couldn't be helped. Ryannah was never the best with her temper. "You know Parline,I think the one here -with the real problems- is not me nor u: but if you make one more mistake tonight as to going back at me or my words,I promise you-one of us will definitely NOT be OKay!"
Up-ahead the bat disappeared through a crack in the ceiling, with no notice at all.
'That's strange.' thought Ryannah as silence fell over the narrow sewer walls, 'Whatever was here before isn't here now...'

A loud screech wheeled it's way through the small farm until it reached it's destination. Pizzah and James were just starting to knodd off when suddenly it hit and James sat up startled.
"Everything alright James?" Asked Pizzah with a yawn
"There's a bat near; I heard the familiar tone- thanks to you." He said with a smile, "But it wasn't a regular bat: not at the crack of dawn that is. So, sun-light has no effect on vampires, right?" He asked as he loOKed around.
Pizzah could hear it now too; the claws scratching the wood panel that lay over-head. "Right. Most vampires just hate the light and of course are easily spotted by their enemies so most prefer to hunt at night... they burn pretty easily also and their skin shrivels clear up. My sister is one of the ones who only comes out when necessary." They were both sitting straight up by now, their ears held at attention.
"Well well,if it isn't little Pizzah." Said a slithering voice from the corner of the shack.
The second she heard it, cold shivers went down her spine, hairs stood in a brisk formation on the back of her neck and her head spun around so quick a sharp pain seared through her neck. 'Daniell?' She thought in panic, 'It couldn't be... He... why? What could he want? He couldn't be loOKing for Danny could he? No,no of course not! He never cared for the boy, even when Danny wasn't even born he cared nothing for him.'
"What do you want Daneill?" Asked Pizzah; She tried to make her voice strong and firm but instead it came out in a dismayed whisper.
He smirked. "Can't a man just stop bye to say hi?" His lips twisted into a sickening grin and he gave a small laugh as he loOKed between Pizzah and James: James had stood up beside Pizzah the second he had come into view, 'He is definitely not weak' Thought Daneill. "Alright then," He said as Pizzah held her firm and hard stare right into his eyes, "I'd like to see my son; IF you don't mind and of course you don't!" He said with another sickening smile.
"Well, on the contrary, I do mind! And even if I didn't, I have no knowledge as to where your son is." Spat Pizzah- Which in a way was the truth for she did not know the where-abouts of Danny at this exact moment.
"LIAR!" Yelled Daneill, and he jumped forward seizing Pizzah by the neck.He pushed her into a wall and began raising her up, strangling her. She began to chOKe for air when James pulled out his wand and muttered a curse. It hit Daneill right in the middle of his back- sending him flying off into the other direction. As he scrambled to get up, Pizzah grabbed James and pulled him into a shadowy corner.
"Just think about this Pizzah; Who would you prefer to have young Danny!? His mother who just wants to kill him, Or me- his father that just wants to give him a loving home with a mother that WANTS him!" Then he dispatched out the door. Letting out his cape he toOK flight.
"You mean take him away from the only loving home he's ever known and put him somewhere that would be a NIGHT-MARE in his eyes!" Pizzah yelled after him, not knowing if he'd heard her or not, or if he even cared.

"Um, James, I think you mean what came 1st."
"You would think so, wouldn't you Pizzah?" He said with a light smile full of laughter. It's been 2weeks since that little run-in with Daneill,and they were both sitting under a bridge near the oceans edge. "You see Pizzah, for us we know what came first: obviously Ryannah fell in love with Daneill before she knew what he was planning to do: She let him bite her before she understood what it meant, She got pregnant before she knew he was planning to leave her, she had the child right before he turned her out. Therefore, we can conclude very many things. One, Daniell always got to Rhyannah and had things in motion ahead of everyone else. Two, Ryannah can't stand to look at Danny because he reminds her too much of the heart-brake Daneill had caused her, so she threw him in the river and later discovered he still was alive and with a step-father. Still feeling the lies and regret of ever loving Daneill, she decided that if she couldn't have Danny then no-one could, which I'm guessing is why she'll go to the end of the world just to be able to get hold of Danny. In all honesty, I think Danny is her only key for something to live for; It's a goal in her life that keeps her going. Without it, the only thing left for her to do is to kill you and that's not getting anywhere is it?" He took a deep breath, "So you see, the question isn't 'What comes first',it's 'what comes next.' "
Pizzah looked at him in awe 'He is by far the most brilliant man I've ever met.' She thought to herself and out-loud she smiled and gave a little laugh. "So, if Daneill's already gotten to us then... "
"I'm sure he's already gotten to Ryannah." Finished James
"Which means..."

'How, how could this be?' Ryannah was pacing back and forth- thoughts forming in her head. 'After all this time, everything the two of us have gone through, all he can say is- "I've found someone else and I love her. Ryannah, please understand... she wants a son to raise but she can't have children! she's even planning to raise him evil; isn't that satisfying?" -and then he gave that stupid grin! What was i supposed to say?! This can't be happening! Not now! Not here!And of course during all things Parline just sat in a corner shaking! Ugh, Good help is hard to find these days! But if this is true, then not only do i have Pizzah to look out for, I also have Daneill on my tail... which can only mean...'

"My darling, I am very tired. I am sorry but i haven't found the location of the boy yet." Yawned Daneill as he trudged into the dark mansion.
"It's all-right Dan, we will find him. It just takes...time. I haven't given up hope yet," She smiled, "although, I don't want you to think your beginning to be spoiled either. So tonight I think I will visit my sister's house." Stated Janice as she lightly slid her hand down his arm, "Don't take forever Darling, I don't want to grow too lonely in an empty house."
Dan gave a great moan and in response she flashed a smile. 'It shouldn't be long' She thought to herself.
"Ryannah and Pizzah are both after the boy for different reasons; neither know where he is though." ... 'Which means...'

"It's a fight to the finish." Spoke three different people at three different locations at the exact same time.

It was Halloween; just two hours until trigger-treat. Danny was running around the house, his father watching the colors fly right in-front of his eyes. Just this one little boy had red horns on his head, vampire teeth in his mouth, a long White angel costume on that was stained with blood and glow-in-the-dark cream on his face and hands with a wand sticking out of his right pocket.
John had been consumed in many thoughts for a while. He couldn't figure out what had happened the other night; they had hit something but when he went to check there was nothing there... whatever it was had disappeared. But John had a bad feeling about it and Danny got scared every-time they went near that road.
"Is it time yet?!" Asked Danny for about the fifth time.
"Not yet," John laughed at the impatience in Danny's eyes and the eagerness in his face, "there's still one hour left."

Not far away, in a small town, Daneill walked the street. This was the one time he didn't have to hide his abnormality. He had been searching around a long while with his eyes while under the shade of a weeping willow. Finally, he saw who he had been looking for: On a park bench not far away sat a small, fat, little man. Most knew him as the local stores nice quiet owner while very few knew him as Lord Pain; a very well known man in the magical world for his record as a successful longest-living vampire known to man.
"Pain." Said Daneill nodding his head as he sat down beside him.
"I take it as you haven't changed your mind." Replied Pain in an exasperated voice.
"You sound surprised.I told you, this one is different. I love her like no one before; I need to honor her wishes. SO!, Do you have what i need?"
"Of course." He prided as he handed over a spray-bottle,"Here." Inside contained a black thick liquid, "You remember what we discussed?"
Daneill nodded.
"Good, the boy can be found with his step-father down in the bay area. But remember -and this is the most very important thing- if you want to continue living...then"

Parline grinned at Ryannah, teasing in his eyes.
They were perched on a large white fountain covered in delicately carved doves, in a small park that lay in a small town.
"Parline, PLEASE tell me you found out where the boy is?! We haven't an hour!" Pleaded Ryannah.
Parline allowed his grin to cover even more of his face, "Well, I did as you said, then went to my own sources. In doing so, I found out that young Danny and his step-father can be found in the Bay area tonight."
"Perfect!" Jeered Ryannah, "I must be on my way! They haven't even a clue that we're near; just driving along with no clue what will befall them tonight! I LOVE it! Good-day Parline!" Ryannah was so over-joyed that a smile divided her face in half.
"But Ryannah!" He squeaked. He jumped in front of her, "There is one more thing...If you want to live to see tomorrow, then..."

"Oh James, Your the best!" yelled Pizzah as she danced around in a circle, "Your absolutely, positively the BEST!!!"
"Pizzah, calm down!" James was laughing his head off, though he knew that Pizzah would surly cause a little too much attention in this small park, especially since the only shelter they had was the tree against their backs and the dove fountain near-by. "Pizzah, it's almost time." He warned, looking a tad worried.
"Oh James, there's nothing to be worried about! Thinks to you I know what costume he'll be wearing! It'll be much easier to find him now!"
"Well, yes, but that's not what I'm worried about..." He sighed, "I just...just don't get hurt,okay?"
Tears started to swell in his eyes and she looked as if tears were going to start shedding from her own just at the sight of his. He pulled her into a tight embrace and she held him close.
"I want to tell you something Pizzah. Something i've wanted to say to you since the day i met you. But first, you need to know this one last thing... if people find out who we are, WHAT we are,they will kill us. So, the most important thing right now to remember is..."

"DON'T GET CAUGHT!" All three voices chimed in as one.
They swerved around; each looking back and forth to their enemies. Finally, all of them were face-to-face. Pizzah, James, Ryannah, Parline, Daneill, and Lord Pain.
Pizzah broke free from James' grasp.
Ryannah's smile faded.
Daneill's mouth twitched.
James' stepped part way in-front of Pizzah.
Parline fell into Ryannah's shadow.
Pain stood tall and stepped into place beside Daneill.
"Thanks." Muttered Daniell, Ryannah, and Pizzah.
As soon as the word escaped their mouths, the three flew off as fast as they could: Daneill turned into a bat and fled off toward the bay, followed in pursuit by Pizzah on foot, and Ryannah Jumping from place to place.
"Anything for an old friend." Whispered Pain, knowing he couldn't be heard.
"No, Ryannah. Thank-you."Said Parline under his breath.
"Please be safe." Stated James as he stared at Pizzah's disappearing back.

'It's almost been an hour!' Daneill was the first to arrive and he couldn't find Danny anywhere. He began to walk aside the railing to the skate-park once more. 'The others haven't even arrived yet so where is he?' Then,as he spotted a young boy holding his father's hand he knew immediately it was Danny; His looks took after him.
As they were walking back from another house, Daneill pulled out the bottle Pain had gave him. He started walking in pace behind John. When they were rounding a bend with no one around, Daneill slipped five or four sprays into the candy bucket and he disappeared into the night.

'Where is he? It's been two hours! I know I was the last one here, but come on! They couldn't have found him yet, right?!' Pizzah was tearing herself apart not able to rest her burning thoughts.'Well that's one thing, Ryannah's over there sitting, waiting; just like me. So... where's Daneill??'

'Ok, so if I'm here and Pizzah's over there looking as helpless as i feel, then where's Daneill? He couldn't have gotten to Danny yet, could he? Oh no,this isn't good! I...I don't want Danny evil! I hate what I've become and I don't want him to experience it too! Oh, who am i kidding!? I just don't want that slime-bag Jenice to have him! He's my son! Not hers!'

What had happened was Danny had begun to grow very tired and John took him home early. He cleaned Danny up and not long after, John lay Danny to bed and promised to let him have some candy tomorrow after he had checked it. After Danny had passed out John went down into the living room and sat on the couch. Turning the T.V. on, he began to inspect the candy. After about twenty minutes of checking candy he slipped a couple pieces into his mouth. It wasn't long before he, himself, slipped into a deep but dark sleep.

This was just what he was waiting for! Daneill was proud of himself: he had got there and done his job before Pizzah and Ryannah even got to the bay. They were probably sill looking for Danny. Plus, he succeeded in slipping the sleeping potion onto the candy; parents always checked candy first and then eat a few after the little ones go to bed. Now all he had to do was grab Danny.
He flew as a bat to the little boy's window and landed like a cat on the soft carpet.
Gently, he picked Danny up and cradled him in his arms; this was the first time he'd ever held his son. Going to the window, he climbed out and flew back to the mansion.

"Jenice," Daneill gently said as he walked through the door.
Danny was still fast asleep.
"I'd like you to meet your son, Danny. Be quiet though, because he's had a long night and is living tired."
"Oh Daneill! He's gorgeous! He looks just like you." Her mouth had a smile forever painted on it; having a son made her the happiest person on that earth- even in death. "I will take him to his new room!"
"Alright, Love." smiled Daneill.

It's late into the night: two hours since Danny was brought to the cold, damp, candle-lit mansion. He's still fast asleep with Janice gently rocking him back and forth. She was singing him a low lullaby of blood and dreams of power.
In a split second her favorite verse was rudely interrupted when the window in his 'room' shattered with a tremendous noise that Sent Danny into a fit of tears and cries. The glass went into every nook and cranny possible.
Danielle's screams of worried concern carried from down the hall and his footsteps began to pound the old-stone floor.
Jenice shot up and gripped Danny tighter into her chest,"Hush! Settle down so mommy can see what's going on!" she cooed.
Red hair whipped through the window and the boy's true mother stood over Jenice before Daneill could even get the door open. She pulled out a wooden stake which was wrapped in linen so not to hurt the holder.
Ryannah stabbed the wooden stake into Janice's heart while she tried to pull Danny away from this evil psychopath who had stolen her rightful life.

With one last shove of the stake, the vampire let out a horrifying scream that terrified the boy even greater. He screamed with all the air his little lungs could hold and kicked with all the strength his arms and legs contained. He finished knocking Jenice off and was rewarded by being grasped into Ryannah's stomach.
Just then, Daneill broke the door in. He was finally there! And it was too late... the scene was too much to take in.
Janice was disappearing into a pile of black smoldering ash and Off in the distance, through the shattered window, you could see a young woman speeding off: Getting far away with a child in her arms.

"Come now darling, don't be afraid." Ryannah wished she could just strangle the boy here and now. It was dead of night and Ryannah had the boy by the hand, forcing him to follow her across a dark narrow bridge that crossed over a vast lake. The water looked like blood in the pale light.
She had to do this right; the child's blood contained mostly vampire after-all. She smirked to herself as she wondered if Pizzah had ever considered this. Every evil vampire and creature in this world wants this boy dead and she knows it.
'This boy, small as he may be, is one of the most important people in this world. Yet...he's better to some of us DEAD!...completely and utterly dead!' her voice rang in her head.
She stopped, they were at the waters edge. She knew she had to do this fast.
Binding him with a powerful string backed up by magic, she started with gagging him and then bound him at his feet and up. Hearing running footsteps behind her she knew Pizzah had finally found them. She was surprised at how long it took her to pin-point their location. She stepped aside and pushed the boy backwards and watched him sink to the icy, black depths.

'I know she's near. I can smell her, sense her! Where is she? I knew from the moment I heard Daneill scream like that... She must have took Danny and above that, I think she killed Janice. If I know my sister at all, she killed Janice.' Pizzah was running through a thin forest, up-ahead she could hear rushing water. She stopped in her tracks; across the bridge, down by the bank, she saw Ryannah binding Danny, 'of course! She wants to kill him! And with her being his mom she can't touch his blood! It's just another one of those dumb rules... so, instead of slaughter she's going to drown him!'
She ran as fast as she could but to no use...by the time she reached the bank Ryannah had already gone and Danny was no-where in sight. Before she could even think she was taking off her shoes and cloak. Laying them aside she jumped, head-first, into the water.
She came up for air and jolted back down for Danny about two times. Finally, on her third dive she saw something verily visible from a thin layer of light being illuminated from a distant street- lamp.
She pulled it to the surface.

"I can't do this!" Wailed Pizzah. Tears were streaming from her eyes though you couldn't tell through all the water that drenched her body.
"Yes, you can! I'll be here the whole time." Encouraged James as he gave her a hug.
She let out a sigh.
"Here goes..."She walked up to the door through the icy cold wind. Dawn was approaching.

John slowly started to awake. His head was throbbing and it took a while to stand up. He had passed out onto the floor but he couldn't understand why. There was this awful feeling in his stomach... something was wrong! 'Danny!' his mind screamed.
He ran to Danny's room and searched his bed: no-one was there! He ran through the house yelling the little boy's name, HIS little boy. He tore the place apart: dragged cushions off chairs, pulled junk out of closets. He looked anywhere and everywhere he could: He even checked his own room. Giving up on inside, he ran out the back door and looked in the garage, in the garden, by the lake, in the car. The feeling of desperation was growing stronger and stronger as every second ticked by. Giving in, he rushed back to his bed-room to call 911.
He picked up the hand-held and hit the little green phone. He looked sideways with his nails in his mouth and there on the bed, lay a very tired and a very wet Danny.

"I can't believe after all that, the little mangy thing is still alive!" Ryannah was going into a crazed frenzy.
"Calm down Ryannah! Besides, it's not him we really care about, it's her isn't it? I mean, after all, it's she that has caused us all this... pain."
"If it weren't, would i ever be planning to work with you?"
"I suppose not. I still can't believe she, of all people, killed Janice."
"Yes,but now you have a reason to help me kill her."

At that same moment, not far away, a little boy was crawling out the front-door of his house and didn't stop till he reached a bush. Getting up on his legs, he walked over to the young female that sat behind it and hugged her around the waist. His father followed close behind, watching his son hug this stranger. There was another person with her; a young male who sat across from her with a smile spreading across his face.
The next words that were spoken, no one could ever believe and one person would have trouble understanding...

"I love you."
Pizzah looked up and peered through the rain pouring down. She caressed the little boy in her arms and she cried. She knew that the fight wasn't over and she knew that her sister would find a way out of punishment for killing Jenice. She couldn't help but wonder: When would Danny's vampire powers show up, when would John remember her, could James forgive her if he knew the truth? There were so many questions spinning around in her head that she felt faint. Her eyes burned with tears of relief, fear, and worry. She barely heard any conversation going on around her; she couldn't even get her mouth to properly work. But she was able to hear one more time, a low mumble:

"I love you."