The Collectors:Alexandrea "Allie" Rodgers | Teen Ink

The Collectors:Alexandrea "Allie" Rodgers

June 21, 2011
By Anonymous

Author's note: This is book 1. I promise I will post the rest later this is just a few chapters!

The author's comments:
You can find this story on inkpop.com!

Beads of sweat dripped down my temple, as I panted like a dog. I was running, escaping from the real world and into my own. A big rush of adrenaline came pumping through my veins; warming my blood. I could not stop for just a split second to catch some air; I had known whoever was behind me meant business. I barely touched the road under my feet. I started to weakened and then I slowed down.
I glimpse in the corner of my eye, to hear a man and woman breathing raspy in my ears. They had caught me up. Suddenly, the man had me in a strong hold with his flexing biceps around my neck. I jerked and wiggled until I was set free. I sprinted for only a yard when I was cut short by a tugging of my ankle. The woman had been on the ground wrestling to get me on the floor.
I was on the floor when the man came overhead and hit me in my head. My head bounced up because of the impact, before colliding with the ground and I was unconscious.
I never knew to feel so deeply appreciated of life, until; I actually experience something so painful.
Suddenly, the lights reappear and I was back where I started on the road running from the collectors. 

Anticipation ran through my veins waiting for the final bell to ring. I sat in my English class waiting to receive the verdict of our exam grades. It really didn’t matter to me. I thought of dropping out of school and work at the Pizza Parlor. Besides, you don’t need education to serve pizza or pump soda. I was capable of reading and writing and to work electronics, so, it wasn’t hard for me at all. My ambition to severe pizza wasn’t so bad.
I looked down at my black designer tee and played with the rhinestones, then moved lower to trace the silver words on my finger tip, ROCKSTAR. I always kept it simple for school. If you hated it, why you spend your time impressing?
My English teacher was a short woman with dusty blonde hair with streaks of gray. She wore huge spectacles on her face. She probably was in her mid-forties. She dressed like she was in the 70’s era. She would look at you in her spectacles with an angry glare and then rolled her eyes, as if she was disgust.
She stand at the tip of my toe, stared into her spectacles and slapped the paper on my desk. A big A+ in the middle of a circle marked in red ink. She then walked off and continues to lecture the class. I felt more proud of myself than I ever had been. I didn’t know how much I could have taken it putting up with her tremors. She picked on me like a wood-pecker continuously pecking on one tree until it falls. I didn’t fall at all; I stood up tall, taller than the others.
I got up as soon as the bell was let off, leaving all the dust behind as I sped off out of there. I was headed under the benches where I hung out until I think I was ready to go home.
I hated to go home, just the thought of seeing her makes me gag. It was the only thing I had left. After my father die when I was thirteen, things went downhill. The bills are barely paid, social services is always knocking on our doors. Melinda seems to get the money to pay it off with her countless boyfriends.
Today I didn’t feel like catching a ride home. I wanted to walk, just take my slow time. The more time I take the faster she goes to sleep and the shorter she talks. She was always smothering. She wanted me to be close to her always. It worked when I was five but I guess things change.
I lived with my mother in a little two bedroom flat on the third floor of a ten-story building. When my father died since we were in crazy debt they took everything leaving me here. She cherished me more than the rest of her children who lives with their grandparents. Apparently, Melinda ran out of men to call them her baby daddy. I wanted to leave and enjoy the good life, but she kept me on a leash, maybe because my own grandparents didn’t really like. She worked three jobs to keep me through school, and paying the bills. One of them being a dirty whore.
I reached to our front door after walking three miles and jogging up two flights of stairs. I opened the door and scurried through the hallway closing the door lightly behind me. I crept to my room dropped my bag on the floor and dived into my bed.
My door creaked open, waking me up from my nap. My mother was crying, but I didn’t care. She came to me patted me on my head and said “I have to tell you something.” I wonder what she has to tell me and then she continued, “It’s about your real family from whence you came. Your sixteen now and I think you should know.” I was so astonish at that moment I forgot how to breathe, blink and even talk. My real family, what could she possibly be talking about? How can she hide something from me that long?
Her tears flew down her face. She began to speak, “Alexandrea, I have to let you. I- I was told to let you go. I have to let you go.” I watched her babble and put her words together, but I couldn’t come to understand.
She then put a piece a paper in my jeans pocket and told me to leave. I was so shock. I couldn’t control my emotions and I began to cry. I forced out anger and punched the steel wall of the elevator. I paced back and forth in the lobby and took a peek of the tattered paper in my pocket. It read:
Find Joey and don’t let them find you!
Call 343-5679
Who is this Joey person? And why did she give me this number, who is them?
I rushed out the building with no hopes of looking back. I was curious about this Joey character and the number I received. I found a near-by paid phone and I dialed the number. Right before it started ringing I hanged up.
I walk along the lonely street, not aware of my surroundings. My body felt limp. My real family from whence I came. I replayed Melinda words in my head over and over. I felt a burning urge and self consciously touching my back pocket where the tattered piece of paper. That same paper had the vital answers to all my questions.
Something got a hold of me and I ran to a nearest paid phone. I dialed the number and waited impatiently drumming my fingers on the phone head piece.
“Hello?” A female voice said on the phone.
“Can I speak to Joey it’s urgent? My name is Alexandrea.”

I couldn’t stop my mouth from going. I continuously asked the same question over and over. What the hell is going on here? Joey kept telling me he couldn’t answer until I calmed down.
“How can I be calm if my mother told me she is not my mother?” I shouted in the phone. I swear and old elderly couple looked at me like I’ve lost my mind. Here I am Allie Rodgers yelling into a phone.
“We’ll explain to you. Where are you?” he asked. We?
“What makes you think I will tell you where I am? For all I know you could be Melinda’s pimp.”I spat in distaste.
He chuckled into the phone and I wished he hadn’t done that. It was a low hearty chuckle that would make you want to chuckle.
“If you want your questions answer you would tell me where you are.”He said.
“Bite me.” I sneered into the phone and hanged it up.
I walked back to the apartment mumbling under my breath something about: Stupid guy, with hot voice won’t answer my stupid questions.
I walked to towards still mumbling under my breath, when it was suddenly caught into my throat. There was bloody handprint on the wall. I felt queasy and I had to look away quickly before I threw up. Something about blood just made me sick to my stomach.
I glimpsed a small limped figure by the staircase gripping on to the railing. Her hair was oozing with crimson and she whimpered in pain. She tilted her head up so that I can make out her face.
I gasped in realization. Melinda. I didn’t know I said her name because she looked at me and started trembling. I ran towards her not really caring that her clothes were drenched in blood. She stretched her bruise hand out to push me away but it didn’t even reach that far.
“Go,” She said softly, “Before they come back.”
“You need help Melinda.” Concerned oozed off my tongue. If you told me that I was concern about Melinda two days ago when she took my cell phone I would have spat in your face and gave you a black eye. But right now I really cared.
“No,” she resisted “They are going to kill me anyway.”
“Who is this they you keep referring to?” I queried.
Her whole face went emotionless as if all her pain has subsided and she was a statue. “The Collectors.” She whispered in a gory voice.

****

I ran out the apartment with my tears rolling down my face. I felt very cold inside. I just stood there and watch Melinda went still in my arms with her last words hovering in my thoughts. The Collectors. In the eye of a stranger I would be a auburn hair girl with hazel eyes, smudged mascara running wildly through the streets of New York.
Suddenly I felt myself running into a wall and it felt very warm. I looked up at a man with dark eyes and a huge scar around his eye that looks like a crescent moon. He had on all black attire and a rosary. He looked like an undertaker.
“Excuse me.” He said his words lacking any emotion. He continued to stare at me without moving an inch. His lips turned into a tight smile and I walked around him.
I ran to the paid-phone and had the oddest feeling that I was being followed. I looked out the glass booth of the paid-phone and saw the man with the crescent scar standing just ten feet away.
I dialed Joey’s numbered frantically. I fear that I was in danger.
“Pick up the damn phone!” I screamed into the head piece.
“I thought you would call back.” Joey said in a cocky voice.
I wanted to hang up but I know I was in danger because the man with the crescent scar just stood there. So in the sweetest voice I could muster I said “Please come for me. I am so alone and scared. Meet me by Sid’s Pizza Parlor.”
“Be there in five minutes.”
“No!” I screamed. “Come Now!” Just then the guy with the crescent scar came into the phone booth.
“I am afraid this call has to end.”
Never in three years had I ever screamed, as it escaped my lips if sound so foreign. At the moment I forgot what kind of girl I really was. The girl who could take down the whole football team with just one can of Redbull. The girl who everyone avoid because she was such a bad influence that you are afraid it will rub off on you. The girl with the anger problems who sees the guidance counselor everyday at twelve thirty to discuss her short temper which she needs to control. That same short temper that caused cheerleader captain Kathlyn Moss to return home with a black eye and a broken nose and a notice that she had a restraining order for me mailed to my door.
That same girl made the most ears splitting scream. I did not notice that I hadn’t hanged up the phone or did I feel it pressed hard to my chest. Joey shouting into the phone brought me back into reality and I caught myself.
I cradled the phone in my hands. I bashed it into the man’s face never losing my grip as I continue to hit him with it. He fell to the ground and I had enough time to wipe the blood off the mouth piece screamed into the phone “What the hell is going on here?” and quickly running towards the Pizza Parlor. I didn’t care about the stares and whispers of the by standers I just wanted to know why nobody wanted to answer my questions.

I sat in a booth in the farthest corner of Sid’s Pizza Parlor. Every second I would look around at my surroundings, hoping that the man with the scar around his right eye didn’t follow me here. Where the hell is Joey?
“Can I take your order?” A not so friendly voice said breaking me out of my thoughts. My eyes trailed up to a tall lanky girl and the face belonging to Cassey Biers, the school’s emo. I groan inwardly. This was not the time to pick a fight Cassey.
“I’m waiting here for someone.”I said and gave her a forced smile.
“Well, if you are not ordering you need to leave.” She stated matter-of-factly.
“Countess Dracula drop it.”I retorted.
“That’s a comeback. Look in the mirror you look like Medusa or are you going to turn yourself into stone.”
I jumped out of my seat and got all up in her face. I clenched my fist ready to punch her right in the mouth. All the sorrow and fear I felt earlier turned into rage and hatred. Just when I was about to crash my fist into her face a hand holds my arm back from proceeding any further. I looked to see who the intruder was and find myself staring into a pool of liquid emeralds.
Our eyes met for a split second and I swear I saw them sparkle. I looked at his face etched into seriousness and his full lips were in a pout. I was sure enough he did not know he was doing that.
“I am sure enough you don’t want to do that.” When he opened his mouth to speak my eyes fell to his lips. I was fascinated about how they look when he speak. Full realization came to me. I know this voice its -.
“Joey?”I replied with one of my eye brows raised. His lips twitched, but never fully register as a smile. Just a lip twitch.
I couldn’t stop staring at his face. Everything in the world was invisible to me right now except for Joey standing here in front of me. I could still hear Cassey ranting about if I hit her I would lose my life, but I seem to tone her out.
Joey pulled me to the door with ease and we walked out the restaurant towards a Silver Cadillac Escalade Hybrid. Movement seems to break me out my reverie as I walked silently alongside Joey listening to the shocked whispers of my peers from school. Most of them saying: ‘What is he doing with her?’
“Where are you taking me?” I hissed trying to get my hand free from his tightening grip. He ignored me and opens the door to the Escalade and helped me in putting on my seat belt for me.
“Where are you taking me?” I repeated getting angry again.
He snapped his head up and looked into my eyes. “Have you seen a man with a scar?”
“Huh?”
“A man with a scar shaped like a crescent around his right eye.” He repeated a little annoyed.
“Yes.” I answered. “What’s going on? Why won’t you answer my questions?”
“Please.” He pleaded and looked at me through sad eyes. He quickly closed my door ran over to the driver’s side and sped off.
We drove in silence until I got really agitated. I turned my body towards him and gave him a death glare. This didn’t seem to faze him. I folded my arms across my chest, cleared my throat and still kept the glare on my face. This seems to get his attention.
“You want answers, don’t you?”He said looking at me in his peripheral vision.
“No, I would just jump in a car with a total strange I just met a few hours. Because my dead mother who said she isn’t my mother gave me his number to contact him.” I stated, sarcasm spitting contaminating my words.
His lip turned into a thin line and his face contorted into a frown. “Melinda’s dead?”
“Did I stutter? I don’t think I did.”I replied.
The car fell back into silence and it became very cold and the drop in temperature had nothing to do with it. Just talking about Melinda made me regret a lot of things. I truly wished I could go back in time and change everything. Even make my dad come back, because that’s where everything started to go wrong. I never expected my day to turn out like this. Just this morning I didn’t have a care in the world. Now I am here internally weeping wishing I hadn’t screwed up my life.
A lone tear escaped my eye lids and at that moment I realize that this was the first time I cried since after my dad died.
Joey rubbed his hands on my knee trying to comfort me. More tears escaped my eyelids betraying me. My vision soon became blurry. I felt a finger touching my cheek wiping away my tears.
“Don’t” hiccup. “Touch me.” Hiccup. He swiftly moved his hands and I wished I hadn’t told him to do that.
“I know how you feel. Melinda has done her job well.”
I knit my brows together. “What?” Hiccup.
“I’m going to tell you but right now you need your rest.” At the exact same moment we pulled up at a gate to a very large house.
‘Wow’ I mouthed and a smile crept on Joey’s face.
“You like? ‘Cause we’re only renting.”
“We? Who is ‘we’?”
Just then a buxom blonde with hazel eyes opened the gate and walk over to us and I looked at Joey quizzically.

“What took you so long?” the blonde whined. She didn’t even acknowledge my presence. She parted her pouted lips to speak but Joey cut her off with a look and she closed her mouth. She swivel her body to look at me. She nodded her head for approval as if I am no competition. I grimaced, this is so unbelievable.
“Please tell me you didn’t bring me here to have a threesome.” I blurted out without even thinking.
They both laughed. I stood there arms resting on my hips as they both crouch over clutching their abdomens.
“You are hilariously.”Joey said patting my back. The last few shrill of laughter escaped his lips and we navigated ourselves to the house.
***
I felt intimidated standing in the foyer. My feet felt foreign on the expensive Italian tiles. It made me feel unworthy to be in that house. The portraits on the wall gaze down on me in disgust. I felt rooted in place as if I take another step inside the house will eliminate me from its inhabitance. I looked down at my ratty Converse debating on whether it was a mistake or not for coming here.
“Right this way.” The blonde said as she motion for me to follow her.
I crossed the threshold of the kitchen sensing a change in the atmosphere. It was really tense.
“You must be the new girl.” A girl with fuchsia hair and shockingly blue eyes declared, bouncing on the ball of her heels. She stuck her hand out for me to shake it. I reluctantly grab her hand and gave it a firm shake. “I’m Cara by the way. And you are?”
“Allie.” I said.
“Nice to meet you Allie, I’m Tia” A girl with long, curly hair and big round hazel eyes said outstretching her hand for me to shake.
“Yes I am quite curvaceous but buxom blond is not my name. Katie” Katie stretched her hand out for me to shake. I raised one of my brows at her.
“Excuse me?” I stared down at her outstretched hand.
“Oh my dare I-”
“We will tell you later.” Joey interrupted before Katie had the time to finish.
She dropped her arms on her side and rolled her eyes.
“In the main time we must get some rest,” Joey then gave me a reassuring look “Tia will show you to your room.”
I shook my head and my gaze followed Tia.
“Room? I don’t even trust you guys.” I blurted out.
Katie smirked “Then why are you here?”
My lips set in a tight line. Why am I here?
I shook my head and looked at Joey. He was looking at the refrigerator like it was the most interesting thing in the world. I snorted, for some reason I don’t know. All I knew is that an unlady-like snort escaped my lips.

“Look, I don’t really want to be here.”
“Then leave.”Katie said with that devilish smirk on her face.
“Gladly,” I said, turning on my heels and stocking off.
I headed for the stained glass door dragging my battered soles on the floor.
“She was giving me attitude.” I heard Katie scream.
“Listen for all we know she might not be the one we are after.” She continued to have a one person conversation.
“Melinda might have gotten the wrong and don’t tell me to shush. If she hears what I say I don’t care.”
An eyebrow shot up, practically grazing my hairline. I officially stepped into a nut house.
My hand grasp the knob, I open the door allowing the sweet breeze to blow on my face. I closed my eyes and breathed a sigh through my nose. I heard a soft click and I didn’t feel the calming breeze anymore. I open my eyes to find the door close and locked.
“It’s safer if you stayed here.” I heard a low husky voice say over my shoulder.
I turned and stared into the depths of a green lagoon. His eyes were so assuring and calm. I could have floated back towards them. I sucked in a ragged breath, unlock the door and headed out into the world I come to know.

***
My hair whipped violently in my face as I search frantically in my pockets and bra for a hair tie. I came up empty handed. I groaned loudly. My hair continued to agitate me. I will remember to cut it all off. I continued to walk not caring that my hair obscured my vision or a few stupid males stopped their cars to make cat-calls. I kept walking.
Paranoia starts to betray me and I have a slight feeling that I am being followed. No, not a feeling a knowing. I swiftly turned around. The road stood before me was black and secluded. No more passing cars. The wind even ceases to move. Everything was just frozen.
I shut my eyes tight. I always hated the dark. I opened my eyes and found myself back right at Joey’s gate.
“Holy,” is all I could have said. I swear I felt urine trickled down my legs. I touch my butt just to make sure that I didn’t pee my pants.
How in the world did I get here?
Just a minute ago, I was standing on a dark road all alone. Yet, I am where I was thirty minutes ago. This time I am staring at the house wanting all my questions to be answered, and fast!



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.