Blood Song | Teen Ink

Blood Song

May 25, 2011
By WrightOrLeft, Smyrna, Georgia
More by this author
WrightOrLeft, Smyrna, Georgia
0 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Death isn't a peaceful release. It's a journey to hell. And trust me sweetie, it isn't fun." - Damon Salvatore


I pushed the water behind me and swam up towards the surface. As I broke the surface I took a large gasp of air and looked up at the broken bridge above me, my small BMW hanging off the side; threatening to fall. I swam to the large mountain of rocks and started to climb. I felt the shards of rock cut at the soft fabric of my dress. I reached my hand out, searching for something to grab onto. Just then I felt cold hands grab my hands and pulled me up, over the rocks. I landed on the ground and then the hands were back; pulling me to my feet. I looked up and my gaze met piercing blue eyes. I shivered slightly as the wind passed over my soaking wet body. I looked over his face. His eyebrows dark and furrowing in response to my gaze of amazement. His cheek bones were clearly defined against his pale white skin. I reached up and touched a lock of his raven colored hair; slightly shining in the sun. I felt his arms around me in a protective way. I slightly looked over his head and saw the sun setting over the horizon. My eyes came back to his face and I sharply had an intake of breath. "Hello, Cora." He said, his voice rippling over me like pure velvet. His voice was strong and slightly scratchy, causing goosebumps to sprout on the back of my arms. I gasped and sat up in my bed, sweat beading on my forehead and chest. I looked around my small room in Virgina. I could hear the TV on in mom's room. I took a reassuring breath and laid back down, replaying the dream in my mind.

The next day I was eager to learn of the dream I had. Who was that guy? What did he want? How did he know my name? I pondered over these questions and came up with ridiculous answers as mom came out of her room. "Morning. You're up early." She said moving her red hair from her face. "Yeah. I had a weird dream last night...couldn't fall back to sleep." I replied as I poured myself some orange juice. She took a bite of toast. "What was it about?" She asked, turning on her professional voice. " Nothing. Don't go all therapist voice on me." I replied. She looked taken back. "I have a therapist voice?" She questioned. I nodded. She smiled and went to her room. "Don't forget to pick up the milk today!" She called. I grabbed my keys and walked out of the door and towards my grey BMW. I started the engine and pulled out of the driveway. I turned on the radio and my favorite song was on. I turned it up louder and started singing along. I stopped at a red light and rolled all my windows down, letting the warm air circulate through the car. I looked to my left and saw a guy in a 1969 blue mustang smiling at me. I smiled back and continued singing as if nothing happened. Then I felt the strangest thing. i looked back over at him, his raven colored hair swaying in the breeze. Aviator glasses hid his eyes but I knew what color they were. That smoldering blue. He waved and sped off as the light turned green. I drove to the 'Quik-Mart' and went over to my boss, Al. "Well, it's about time Cora! I had to handle the register for an hour!" He yelled. "Sorry I'm late. Got caught in traffic." I lied. I put on the green vest that said my name in tacky gold letters.

My fingers were getting tired from adding stupid numbers on a cash register. I looked at the coustomer and smiled. "Sorry, this doesn't happen to me." I said in a nice tone. I pushed the buttons harder and eventually gave up. I reached over and picked up my walkie talkie. "Al, I need you assistance." I said into the speaker. He didn't respond so I casually struck up a conversation. "It's a nice day to- day." I said, finally looking up at the coustomer. He held his wallet in between his fingers and gazed out the large window next to us. "It is isn't it?" He replied, a small smile on his face. I smiled back and just then Al was beside me. "What seems to be the problem?" He asked. I looked away from the cutie at my register and looked to Al. "The register is acting up." I said. Al slightly pushed me out of the way and punched in the security code. It started working again. "Thanks." I mumbled as he set off in the other direction. I scanned the remains of his items and looked at the screen. "Your total is 15.60" I replied. He pulled out a twenty and handed it to me. I fed it to the cash register and gave him back his change. "Have a great day." He said before grabbing his plastic bag and leaving. "You too." I mumbled. "Next." I said, my eyes following his back, out to the parking lot. I mindlessly scanned the items, my eyes still on the black car "cutie" was getting into. I looked down at the register and clicked the transaction buton and got the total. "Your total is--." I began looking up. I looked at the girl awaiting my response. Behind her, a little way aways, leaning upaganist the produce was the man from the red light; the man from my dream. "Um...miss?" She said. I barely heard her. I dropped the ten dollar bill she handed me and backed out of the cas register and over, acroos the store to the produce. As soon as he saw me move HE was on the move. He vanished around the counter, heading to the exit through the loading dock. I pushed open the door and followed him to the garbage can. When I got out there he was nowhere to be found. "Who are you?" I whispered to myself. A light breeze whipped my chocolate hair around my face.

"No,no,no!" I yelled as I pounded on the steering wheel. A four car pile up happened twenty minutes prior to me getting off of work and now I'm stuck in it. I picked up my Blackberry and dialed Mom. After the fourth ring she picked up. "Hey. What's up?" She said. I sighed. "I'm stuck in traffic. I'm not gonna be able to get home in time for the movie so just go without me." I confessed. I heard her sadly sigh on the other end. " Okay. Text me when you get home. I love you." She replied. I smiled. "Love you too, bye." I said before I hung up. I tuned up the radio and waited for exit 4 to clear up.
--- 7 P.M.---
I pushed open the front door and walked into the dark house, flipping on lights as I did so. I walked into the kitchen and made myself a sandwich. I did as mom asked and texted her that I was alright and I was going out. After I ate I walked into my room and changed out of my work clothes. I found a pair of bootleg jeans and a grey off-shoulder tee and left once again. I pulled onto the back roads, knowing the traffic wouldn't have lightened up in the past hour. I drove to the familiar club I often visited when mom was out. I pulled into the alley behind the club and silently parked my car. I went to the back entrance and pulled open the broken door. "They should really get that fixed." I mumbled as I passed over the threashold. I walked to the bar where my best friend was working. "Hey there, chica!" Kleo said over the loud thumping of the music. I smiled and walked to her, behind the bar. "Where's Steve?" I asked her, looking around for her boss. "Don't know. He was around here a minute ago." She replied slightly smiling. I looked at her in confusion. "What?" I asked innoncently. "You know what." She replied as she made a margrita for a girl in a black halter top. "I see the way you look at him. I get it, he's hot." She replied. I rolled my eyes and made the guy with the afro a tonic'n'gin. "You should go for it!" She replied as she finished the margrita. I smirked. "He's twenty-one." I replied. She shrugged. "So, your nineteen. And Sam was twenty-two when you two dated." She replied. I nodded in agreement. My heart twinged as she said his name. It was like it flowed so easily from her lips, as if what he did to me didn't matter. She caught on to my sudden despair. "Oh, sweetie I'm sorry." She said, her hand on my shoulder. I dismissed the sudden wave of sadness with a flick of my hand. "It's okay. That was over a looong time ago." I said, stressing the word 'long'. She gave me a heart-warming smile. "Cora!" Someone called behind me. I spun around to see Steve, Kleo's boss. She nudged me playfully. "Get it girl." She replied before pushing me to him. I smiled as his green eyes danced over my face. "Can I talk to you?" He called. I nodded and followed him through the crowd, upstairs to his office. He shut the door behind us and the thumping of the music faded away. "I have a proposal for you." He said. I smiled. "Oh! Why Steven, this is so sudden!" I joked. He laughed. "I'd like you to come work for me." He replied. My smile faded. "Doing what?" I asked. "Working the bar..with Kleo." He said. My smile returned. "I'd love to!" I squealed. I leaned in and hugged him. He hugged back.

The mist lined the field, adding a certian mystery to where I was. I looked down and saw a white satin dress fell over my body, stopping a little past my knees. I looked at the dogwood trees that lined up on either sides of me. I ran my fingertips across them as I walked along the edge of the wood. I looked ahead of me ad saw him. His back was facing me so I knew he hadn't seen me. I smiled and quietly walked to him. I placed my hand over his leather clad shoulder. He spun around at my touch, and in the blink of an eye I was on the ground, he was over me, his hands on either side of my face. "What are you doing here?" He asked, a venom hanging from every word. "You tell me, this is my dream." I replied. He looked at me slightly confused. "Hello, again." I said slightly smiling. He got up and turned his back on me. "Who are you?" I asked. He didn't look back as he replied. "You will know. All in good time Coraline." He replied. My mouth hung open. "How is it that you know my name but I don't know yours?" I questioned. "Because...I'm the one controlling these dreams." He said. And just like that, a breeze of wind and he was gone. A few seconds later I woke up back in my bed, sweat dripping from me. I sighed, slightly frustrated and laid back down. I praued that I would fall asleep and dream more of him. But then I remembered...he was in control of the dream; I chuckled to myself. "You're going crazy Cora." I said to myself.

I laid my head down on the counter and sighed. "That's pretty messed up, Cor." Kleo said as she poured herself a glass of lemonade. I sniffled and faught a wave of nausea. "Yeah. And it gets worse beacuse I'm sick and the only thing I have the strength to do is sleep." I replied, my voice muffled by the granite countertop. "Have you told your mom?" She asked. I chuckled and looked up at her. "You're kidding right? She would go all medical on me and say I have some sleeping syndrome. I choose to skip that un-needed conversation." I replied. "Well, there has to be a reason you're dreaming about this guy." She said. I shrugged. "Maybe he's a figment of your subconcious." She said. I looked at her with wide eyes. "I have got to stop hanging around you and your mom." She added with a chuckle. I joined in, my laughter seemed a little staged.
--2 A.M.--
I opened the back door and stepped out into the cold Virginia air. I took a deep breath and then exhaled. My breath, a small cloud of smoke in front of my lips. I sighed and looked to the sky, gazing at the large white moon. My waves of nausea passed three hours ago. Mom was still out with her gross boyfriend, Todd McKleavy. I wrapped my arms around my torso and squeezed; giving myself a hug. I wanted to go inside and sleep but I knew what would happen if I did. The mere thought of seeing him both excited and scared me. I turned around and walked back inside, a waft of the heated air hit me in the face. I walked to the living room and found a comfortable position on the couch. I clicked on the TV and found some stupid reality show and soon dozed off. ---
My feet pounded aganist asphalt as I ran for my life. I could hear footsteps behind me. I knew it was getting closer, I just didn't know what 'it' was. I made a sharp left through the woods and ran along side a crystal blue lake. I felt a throbbing on the left side of my neck. As I continued to run I touched the throbbing on my neck and when I pulled my hand away I saw my fingers covered in blood. "Oh...god." I breathed. My heartbeat increased as a small barn came up on my right. I didn't dare look behind me so I ran straight for the barn. As soon as I pushed open the two large doors a wave of panic washed over me. I shut the doors behind me. I breathed so hard I saw a small cloud of air coming out of my nose. My back leaned aganist the closed doors as I tried to gasp for air. A wave of terror drenched me, I cried as I saw small black spots cloud my vision. I was going to die here. I fell to my knees and a few seconds later hit the hay covered ground with a thud. --- I opened my eyes and sat up, to be greeted by my mother coming through the front door. I looked over at the clock ontop of the TV, it read four o'clock in the morning. "Hey Coraline. Sweetie, what's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost." She said lightly. I sighed and put my hand to my forehead. "I'm fine." I said looking around my familiar living room. "I'm fine." I said again, reassuring myself. "'Night." I said as I got up and kissed her forehead before I went back to my room. I closed my bedroom door behind me. I fell to my knees and sobbed. Every inch of darkness that crept into my room made me shudder. I crawled into bed and hid under the covers...like that would save me.

I opened my eyes to the sound of a pain falling in the kitchen. I looked across my room at the hello kitty clock I got from my dad ten years, it read three-thirty in the afternoon. I sat up and found a sweater and slipped it on. I opened the door and saw mom making a glass of juice. "Aren't you supposed to be at work?" I asked her, slightly yawning. She looked at me. "No, I have some errands to run today. What about you? Why aren't you a Chaos?" She asked. I sighed. "I don't know. I just don't like summer jobs." I stated. She laughed. "Go get dressed, I'll drop you off and then I can go do my errands." She said. I remained silent. "Kleo can give you a ride home right?" She asked. I nodded. "Yeah." I mumbled. I walked into my room. "What does one wear to their first day as a bartender?" I asked. "I know what they usually wear and I know what you will be wearing. How about that new grey turtle neck." She joked. "Ha ha." I said sarcastically. I dug through my closet until I found my loose red AC/DC shirt. I picked up a pair of skinny jeans and black wedges. I got dressed and straightened my hair. Twenty minutes later I came out of my room and approached a newly dressed mom. "What do you think?" I asked spinning around. She smiled. "Very approriate." She said. I smiled and followed mom to her small red jeep. Around four o'clock I was at Chaos. I went through the front door this time and walked over to the bar. Kleo wore a short black dress and bright pink converse. Her blonde hair was pulled into a messy bun and her lips were painted blood red. "Hey, there stripper." I said. She looked at her outfit. "Do I seriously look like a stripper?!" She asked. I laughed. "No. How do I look?" I asked. "You both look great. Get set up. We open in two hours!" Steven yelled from a balcony upstairs. I groaned and walked over to the bar. "Why would anyone come to a club at six o'clock?" I questioned. Kleo laughed. "It's Friday. No matter what time it is people always show up." She said. I helped her wash all the glassess and started cutting fresh fruit. She got the ice ready and at 6:30 people started coming in. And by 7:00 the club was packed. Kleo tapped me on the shoulder. "Can you get that guy's drink?" She asked pointing to a guy sitting at the far end of the bar. "What can I get you?" I asked. "Scotch. On the rocks." He replied. I turned around and made his drink. I turned back towards him and handed him the drink. He threw back the drink and placed it on the countertop. "Leave the bottle." He said. I did as he asked and placed the bottle in front of him. "Lemme know if you need anything." I said. He didn't respond and I was quite fine with that. I looked over in search of Kleo. She was at the end of the bar leaning over the counter top, flirting with a guy. I walked over to where she was. I turned my back on her and pretended to mix a cocktail. I strained my ears, hoping I could hear what she was saying. I'm nosy like that. "Well, Kleo... can I buy you a drink?" He asked, his voice warming every inch of my body. My eyebrows furrowed as I continued to listen to the voice. "I'm a bartender, I can buy myself a drink." She said, playing hard to get. That was Kleo. I heard him chuckle. "Playing hard to get. I like that in a woman." He complimented. "Well, thanks for the offer but I prefer bad boys. Not guys who waste their time asking to buy me a drink." She said, I could hear her pull away, her necklace dragged across the wooden counter. "What makes you think I'm not a bad boy." He said. She chuckled. Oh, god...she was falling for this guy...I could hear it in her voice. Yeah, she works fast...that's Kleo for ya. "My name's Damon. And I would like to buy you a really strong drink. When do you get off of work?" He asked. "At twelve. I have a girl that can cover for me." She said. She spun around, her converse squeaking on the rubber mat on the floor. "Hey, Cor?" She asked. I spun around and looked at her eyes. "Can you cover for me. I wanna get off an hour early tonight. Is that okay?" She asked. Her body blocked my view of the guy. I nodded. "Whatever." I mumbled. "I'll leave you my car. I have a feeling I won't see you until morning anyways." She whispered, a small smile spreading across her face.

--10 P.M.-- I wiped up the spilled margrita some dumb blonde left on the counter. The guy Kleo was flirting with was still sitting at the very end of the bar. Kleo was preoccupied with tracking down the girl who left her purse on a barstool. I walked over to Kleo's next toy, keeping my head down. I stood in front of him and wiped up the salt from the liquor stand. "Can I have another Tequila shot?" His voice penetrating my mind. I looked up, without a single thought and nearly choked. His light grey-blue eyes stared at me as a small shiver ran up my spine. "Hello?" he said. His warm, melting voice, wrapping around my body. "Uh...yeah." I mumbled as I poured him another shot. He threw it back and I left the bottle. I pretended to go back to my cleaning but every now and then I looked up at him. His tousled raven hair was dramatically swept away from his handsome face. It was him. The man of my dreams, literally. I felt my knees give out a little and I gripped the edge of the counter for support. Damon. His name was Damon. I slightly swayed back and forth as I tried to wrap my mind around why he didn't notice me. Then it hit mt, those dreams...they were all mind. Of course he wouldn't notice me.
--Damon--
I watched as she gripped the edge of the counter, her knuckles turning white. Her long brown hair fell in her face as she continued cleaning the counter. I poured myself another shot of Tequila and brought the rim of the glass to my lips. I sat there, just staring at her. She leaned back up and looked towards the ceiling, inspecting the light that slightly flickered on and off. It was then that it hit me, like a ton of bricks. "You." I whispered, barely audible. She didn't look at me, just continued wiping down the counters. She was the reason I looked like I hadn't slept in days. It was her. Everywhere I looked I saw her. Everytime someone talked I heard her voice. She had gotten into my bloodstream. I threw the tequila back and it burned my throat as I swallowed. Just then Kleo, I think that was her name, walked into the bar, next to her. She looked at Kleo and they exchanged a few short words and occasionally she would look at me as she argued with Kleo. I assumed she was worried for her friend, she didn't want her to come with me.
--Cora--
"I'm just saying...be careful." I whispered. Kleo smiled. "I will!" She replied smiling. I chuckled and nodded. Kleo walked in the back to the freezer and I looked over at him, his eyes were on mine. A rush of blood surfaced at my cheeks, causing me to feel incredibly warm. Why was he looking at me like that? "Cora? Can I have my check?" He asked, his voice piercing my thoughts. "How do you know my name?" I asked in utter shock. He smirked. "Your name tag, now can I have my check. I have somewhere to be." He said. I felt so stupid and I silently cussed at myself as I took his money and fed it into the register. The drawer opened and I gave him his change. Kleo came back from the freezer, her hair wavy on her shoulders and her lipstick re-applied. She kissed me 'goodbye' and smiled. "Thanks Cor!" She said. I forced a smile and watched her walk around the end of the bar and to is side. He stood up and led her out of the club. She was so carefree. If she only knew HE was the one I had been dreaming about. She always seemed to get my guys. Although Damon wasn't my guy...but Sam was. I thought to myself. The next hour I went as if someone found my 'off' switch and decided to flip it off. My legs were sore and my mouth was dry. I snuck a small sip of the tequila that he left sitting on the counter.

--Three days later, Wenesday--"I'm sure she's fine." Mom said as I quietly sobbed. "When did you see her last?" She asked. "I saw her three days ago at Chaos but she texted me yesterday, telling me that she would be by anyday to get her car." I said. Mom rubbed in between my shoulders. "Then there's nothing to be worried about. If we don't hear from her by Sunday then I'll call the police." She replied. I nodded. After another hour of crying I went to my room and locked the door. I picked up my phone and called her again. "Hey this is Kleo, leave me a message b*#@!$s!" Her familiar voicemail said. I ended the call and fell backwards on my bed, tears flowing over my cheeks. "Please God, bring her home." I silently prayed. I shortly fell asleep. Thinking of my mising best friend.
---
I was standing on the edge of a familiar lake. A soft, quiet music erupting from the edge of the wood not 40 feet to my right, filled my ears. I looked across the lake and spotted the familiar blue barn. My mind replayed that nightmare I had a few nights ago. A crunch of twigs behind me made me spin around. He stood in a plain black button up shirt and dark jeans. "Hello, Cora." He said. I felt like falling to pieces as he spoke my name. "Where is she?" I asked, my voice breaking with emotion. "Who?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "Kleo, the girl you took home on Monday." I mumbled. He slightly smiled. "I never took her home." He simply replied. My eyebrows drew together. "What? But--But she left with you." I stumbled for words. "Stating the obvious. We went out for a few drinks then she felt sick so I drove her home." He replied. Tears clouded my view of him. "Then why didn't she call me?" I asked no one in particular. He crossed his arms over his chest. "Did you ever think that maybe she didn't want to talk to you...after the whole thing about Sam?" He replied. My eyes widened, causing the tears to spill over my cheeks. "How did you--?" I began. "She talks too much when she's drunk." He said, interrupting me. "Shut up." I said. He grinned smugly. "You slept with him when you knew she loved him. Tsk tsk Cora." He said. "I said shut up!" I yelled. my voice falling into hysteria. "Everything will change." He said. He became fuzzy, along with the scenery around us. "What will change?" No response. "Damon?!" I yelled.--- I soon woke up back in my bed. I didn't care what time it was, I grabbed my car keys and ran out to my car.

The engine roared as I sped through her neighborhood. I parked shamelessly on the curb in front of her house. As I approached her front door I fumbled with the keys and soon found the one that belonged in the deadbolt. I unlocked the door and pushed it open. Her living room stunk of smoke and her cheap perfume. I walked past her small kitchen and went straight into her animal print theme bedroom. Her black silk sheets were ruffled and unmade. I looked at the ground and saw the clothes she wore on Monday. "Kleo?" I called into the cold, desolate house. I walked into the bathroom and looked in the direction of the claw foot tub and soon regretted it. A shreik escaped my lips as I saw her body laying in the tub, water up to her shoulders. She was dressed in her white prom dress. Blood rested on the surface of the water, above her wrists. Large gashes were on both of her wrists, over her veins. Tears flowed from my eyes. I tasted salt as I leaned down and pulled her body halfway out of the water. I held her to my chest and sobbed. I looked on the closed lid of the toilet and saw a letter. On the envlope it read, 'My sweetest and Dearest friend, Cora Cruise.' I sobbed harder as I put two and two together. It was her suicide note and this bloodly tub was her suicide. I let her body fall slowly back into the water and pulled my cell phone out of my back pocket. "911 what's your emergency?" A calm female voice said on the other end. "M-my friend...she's...she..uh...k-killed herself." I said in between sobs. "Okay. What's your name?" She asked. I shook as I sobbed. "C-cora Cruise. I'm her best friend." I replied. "Can you give me the adress?" She asked. I nodded. "89 Clark road. Harrison crossing. Apartment number 5b." I said. I heard her quickly call over to dispatch and report this. I closed my eyes as I sobbed harder. "Oh...K-kleo." I said as I stroaked a piece of her wet, golden hair.

"She...was just here...In the bathtub." I said slowly, looking in the direction of the bathroom. The large, burly police officer stood in front of me with a notepad and pen in his hands. "And what is your relationship to Miss Brown?" he asked. "I was...I am...her best friend." I mumbled, in shock. A tean of CSI people were crowded in her small yellow bathroom. Twenty minutes passed as Officer Kent asked me a few more questions. A few of the crime scene investigators carried her out in a black plastic bag. I sobbed and felt my body go numb. I pushed past all of them and went to my car. Once I was safetly away from her house I started sobbing again. Her favortie song came on over the radio; Just dance by M. Ward. I sobbed and laughed at the same time. No one loved this song more than Kleo. No one knew how to rock out to this song without looking like an idiot, but somehow she did. I drove, not knowing where I was going; i didn't care, i just kept driving. It was getting dark and the streetlights were a dull orange light passing over my car every few seconds. I decided I wanted to go home, so that's where I went. --- I opened the back door and saw the kitchen light on. "Coraline?" Mom called from the kithen. I sighed. I walked into the kitchen and saw her eyes puffy and red. "Aw, baby." She said pulling me into a hug. I tried not to cry but I couldn't help it. I left my tears stain her shirt. After what feeled like forever I pulled away. "Please, I just want to go to bed. Can we talk tomorrow?" I asked. She smiled and nodded. "Of course. Goodnight. I love you." She said. "Love you." I sadi before disappearing into my room. I shut the door behind me and pulled the folded up envelope out of my back pocket. I sat there and looked at it. Not moving, hardley breathing. "Here it goes." A nagging voice said in the back of my head.

Tears rolled down my face as I could hear her soft, slightly southern voice read this note to me. I could almost see her crumpling up multiple pieces of paper until she got it right. I could see her sitting in her elegant prom dress, black ink smudging on the side of her left hand as she dragged it across the fresh words. 'My Cora, I know that if you're reading this it means that my body has been found. It means that I am no longer here. I don't know where I will go when I die, I just hope I'm happy and I hope I'll see you there one day. I love you. You might want to know why I killed myself. Let me take you back three months ago. I went to Doctor Greg the hottie for my normal check up when he did my normal tests. A few days later I got a call asking me to come back in to see the Doc. I went and then he showed me some papers that I didn't understand. He told me that I had four months to live, I was dying...of breast cancer. I didn't want to die in some stuffy hospital. I didn't want to die...but I knew I had to. So I made it easier. On June 14, at 9 o'clock in the morning I took my life. I want to tell you that what I did wasn't because I was depressed but because I couldn't let anyone see me sick, I couldn't let you see me that way. I love you Coraline AnneMarie Cruise and I have loved you like a sister since the day that I met you in the fourth grade. You told me that you liked my dress and you wished you had a dress like that. The next month on your birthday I gave you that dress...and we were best friends ever since. Everything you did for me I didn't deserve but you helped me and let me be comfortable around you. You got me my first job at a laundry mat when we were fourteen. I've loved you from the day I met you and I loved you to the day I died. And I'm still loving you, for eternity. Always know that I'm watching over you, your Guardian Angel. I love you Cora, never forget that. Love always...in life and in death- Kleo Brown September 3, 1989- July 14, 2011.

-- One month later--I stopped walking for a split second and looked up at the grey sky. Thunder rolled and a few seconds later rain started to pour down on my head. I continued walking down the deserted road. I found a small, quiet, cafe and pushed open the door. I was barely wet so I went to a shelf of books in my favorite category; Fiction/ Horror. I scanned bookshelf after bookshelf in search for something when I came across a book called 'The history of the Ungrateful Dead'. I picked it up and saw a familiar face. Steven, my boss. He wrote a book? I opened it and read the description. I was pleased and slightly shocked that this book interested me. I looked down at my half-dry-half-wet red dress and tan trenchcoat. My black wedges were slippery with water. I waited for the rain to lighten up before I hid the book under a large spanish encyclopedia and went to Chaos.
---
I pulled off my trenchcoat and looked over at Steven, who was working the bar while I was running late. "I'm sorry. The rain kept me inside longer than I wanted." I said. Luckily my clothes had dried and my hair had went to it's usual wavy look. He half-smiled and nodded once, telling me to get to work. I watched him walk out from behind the bar and go up to his office. I walked around the bar and took off my coat, throwing it in the pantry and went to a girl in a business suit. "Can I get a martini. Dirty, please." She asked. I nodded and did my best to smile. I fixed her Martini and bent down to take off my wedges and threw them under the cash box. "Can I get a Scotch. On the rocks." A voice behind me said. I stood back up and turned around, looking at Damon, who sat with one hand under his chin. I nodded, not breaking eye contact. As I made the Scotch I could feel his eyes washing over me, taking in my sudden change of style. I don't know why I was suprised to see him, he came the same time every Friday. I handed him his drink and gave him a napkin and a lime wedge; I learned over the weeks that he liked a lime in his alcohol. The corners of his mouth turned up in a smile. "Anything else with that?" I asked. He shook his head. "For now, anyways." He said. I turned to another coustomer and took his order.
---10 P.M.--
I pushed my way through the crowd of the people on the dancefloor. Once I was on the other side of the club I pushed open the back door, leading to the alley. The cold, night, air swept over me and chilled my heated body. I took in a shaky, flatering, breath and cried. The man sitting at the bar in there got to me; Damon knew what I was so flustered about. He and I had the same dreams...I think. I visited a memory when I slept the day I read her letter and he was there. He took me to a room in his house, a "safe haven", he called it. And I admit...I did feel safe in there. The portraits of him and his family on the wall. The books of classic literature and maps of the world. He had an excellent supply of liquor in that room and there seemed to always be a fire burning in the room. We sat in two leather armchairs and just starred into the fire; not talking, not feeling. Being numb. I was mourning and he was there...supporting my mourning. He was there. "You'll be okay, Cora. You will." He had told me. I took a reassuring breath and wiped under my eyes. I pulled open the heavy door and marched back through the crowd of dancing, drunk people, to the bar. A man of about forty-five, who was piss drunk, started talking to Damon about octopi. I laughed to myself and he looked up at me, throwing me a look. I quickly regained myself and looked down at my hands. I remembered how Kleo used to sit and just talk to people...no matter who they were. She'd listen to their problems and give them feedback that she and I knew they didn't deserve. I sighed once more and started to clean the martini glasses.

---12 A.M.---
I folded my trenchcoat over my arm and held my keys to the club in the other hand. I opened the front entrance and stepped into the late night. I turned around and locked the club and Steve inside. I turned to the parking lot and saw a dark figure leaning up aganist a 1969 baby blue mustang convertible. "Damon." I said as I walked over to him. A smirk spread across his face. I caught a gleam in his eyes and I walked to the passenger side of his car and got in. He got in and started the engine. We pulled away from the club.
---
I felt his warm hand on the small of my back as I stood, barefoot, in front of the fire. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and held a glass of Scotch in front of my face. I reluctantly took it and held it to my chest. His arm slithered away and he flopped down in the leather chair behind me. I stood looking up at the picture above the fireplace. A portrait of Damon and his family. "Who painted all of these?" I asked. "My uncle Mario." He said. I chuckled. "What about uncle Luigie? What does he do?" I asked, jokingly. "Ha.ha." He replied sarcastically. I felt him close to me in a second, his fingers wrapping around the glass of untouched Scotch. He bent down and sat the glass on the antique drawing table. I felt his hands at my shoulders, turning me to face him. He looked at me with soft, vulnerable eyes. He leaned into me, giving me enough time to pull away. When I didn't he leaned in and rested his lips on mine. It was short and sweet and he began to pull away when I pulled his lips back to mine. I was tired of this back and forth, I gave up...surrendered. His reaction was first suprise, then warmed up to me. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close. I placed my hands on either side of his face.

---Next Morning---
The sun peeked through the drapes in his room. I sat up and noticed and the spot next to me was empty. I pushed the covers off of my legs and tip toed over to his black t-shirt and slid it on over my bra and underwear. I opened his bedroom door and quietly walked down the long spiral staricase, in search of something to drink. I'd only seen his reading room and bedroom so finding the kitchen was hard at first. I walked down a long hallway when I heard a sink turn on. I walked into a large kitchen, styled like the reading room. Brown and red paint were splashed on opposite walls, decorated with art. I looked over in the direction of the sink and saw him, bare chested, washing something. I walked over to him and rested my chin on his shoulder. "Morning." he said, slightly chuckling. I smiled. "Morning. Whatcha doing?" I asked looking over his shoulder and into the sink. He was washing a frying pan that had eggs on it. "What's the matter with those eggs?" I questioned, backing up and leaning on the island in the middle of the floor. "I screwed it up." He mumbled. I put my hand on his shoulder blade. "What's the matter?" I asked. He turned around, revealing a small smile, pulling at the corners of his mouth. "Nothing...just a little shocked." He replied. I looked at him with curious eyes. "About what?" I asked. He looked me over, starting at my unruly wavy hair and ending at my hot pink toe nails. "I'm shocked at how great you look in my Armani shirt." He said raising an eyebrow, the famous smirk plastered on his face. I chuckled. "I do try." I said smiling innoncently. He bent his head down and kissed my lips. A sudden thud upstaris made me pull away and look up at the ceiling. "What was that?" I questioned. He pulled away and followed my gaze to the ceiling. "Stay here." he said to me. I looked at him suddenly. "Be careful." I whispered. He released my waist and walked out of the kitchen. I couldn't hear anything for a few minutes, then I heard Damon call out to me. "Cora!" He yelled. I waited a few seconds and walked down the long hallway and back up to the spiral staircase. I took my time going to his room. I slowly pushed open the door and saw him leaning aganist the bed. I walked over to him. He grabbed my shoulders and held me at a safe distance. "You have to go." My eyebrows drew together in confusion. "What? Why?" I asked. "I saw someone leave the house...I need you to get your clothes and go to my car. It's unlocked and the keys are in the ignition. Drive home and I'll stop by later." He said. I shook my head. "No, I'm not leaving you." I replied, stubbornly. "Damn it Cora!" He yelled. I slightly flinched. I bent down and grabbed my red dress and coat, my heels in my other hand. I turned from him without any 'goodbye'. I ran down the spiral staricase and to the front door. I pulled open the dark maghoney door. His car was sitting in the driveway. I went over to the driver side and pulled open. The keys were in the ingintion, like he said.

---Later that night---
A tap on my window made me jump. I looked over at my window and saw Damon's face with a big stupid grin plastered on it. I sighed and reluctantly opened it. I stepped away and went back to brushing through my wet hair. He sat on the bed next to me. "Did you find the "intruder" you were so eager to find?" I asked. He scoffed. "What? Do you think I made that up?" He asked. I shrugged. "Your just that guy...I get it." I said. "Oh? And what guy would that be?" He asked. "Oh, you know...The bad boy who sleeps around for fun and when he's done he throws the girl aside." I said. He was silent. I looked over at him, waiting for him to tell me that that wasn't how he was. "What can I say...you nailed it!"He said giving me a thumbs up and rolling his eyes. I shook my head. "Is there something you wanted to tell me?" I asked. His face became suddenly serious. "No, I have something to show you." He said. I kept silent. He held out his hand. "What?" I asked. "Give me your hand." He said. I held out my hand and placed it palm up in his. He pulled something out of his pocket and poked my finger. "Ow!" I shrieked. My finger started to bleed. "What the hell?!" I asked. He turned around and ignored me. I waited for whatever he was going to show me. He turned back to me, his eyes blood red, deep grey veins appeared under his eyes. And his canines became longer, petrouding from his mouth. I stepped backwards, practially falling off my bed. "What the hell! Damon?!" I yelled. A deep growl petrouded from his throat. "I have a secret you should know about." He said. A scream came from my mouth as he slowly moved towards me. "Your.....your a.....v-v-v-vampire?!" I yelled. His went back to the subtle blue. "Yes." He said. My eyes started watering. "You should sit down. I have a hundred and ninety-nine years of things to tell you." He said.

"I was twenty-three when she moved to Italy. I was twenty-three when I fell for her. I learned something from Isabella that I didn't know existed...Vampires." He said. I gulped and watched him from across the room, looking at his hands. "It was March 9th, 1813 when I was turned into a vampire. I was...I am...frozen at twenty-three for the rest of my life." He continued. I watched as how his eyes watered, obviously touching some emotional spots. "maybe I should just show you." He said. I looked over to him. He was over at me in a flash. "You're going to lay down and fall asleep." He said, his pupils turned into slits. I felt an unnatural need to lie down and go to sleep. I moved past him and laid down in my bed, my eyes drooping.
---
I opened my eyes to see Damon standing over me, his hand outstreached. I bypassed his hand and stood up on my own. I looked down at my clothes, I was dressed in a light green satin corset and long slip. A bow tieing around my waist. I looked at Damon and saw him in a white button up and a red tie, a black vest and pants adding to the century. "Where the hell are we?" I asked. He placed a finger over his lips and nodded towards the edge of the woods. I followed his gaze and saw a girl with long blonde hair leaning over something. She pulled away to reveal Damon, lying on the ground, covered in blood. A small gasp escaped from my lips. I saw Damon's chest stop rising. "Is that Isabella?"I whispered. "Yeah, the Queen Bitch herself." He said. "She...killed you." I mumbled. "That she did. And didn't waste anytime turning my sister into a 'creature of the night' either." He replied, a sense of hate in his voice. I continued to watch as Isabella looked at Damon's lifeless body and walked back into the woods. Vampire Damon grabbed my hand and the grassy field and Dead Damon disappeared. We reappeared in what used to be Damon's bedroom. But what was in front of us was a large white bed in a large light blue room. "Nice room, Princess." I said looking at the vanity table. "This room also stored some of my sister's things." he said, defending his" manhood". I saw before us Damon laying in the bed, the sheets pulled up to his waist, his chest was bare. A sudden gasp escaped Dead Damon's lips as he opened his eyes. Isabella peeked her head from hte bathroom. "Be right there Damon!" She whispered. She walked out of the bathroom in a corset and slip, similiar to mine. She sat on the side of his bed and leaned in, kissing his mouth. I lightly looked around and kept my eyes off of Isabella. She pulled away and rubbed some of the blood off of his neck. He slowly sat up. "What did you do to me?" Undead Damon asked. "I made you mine...for eternity." She whispered. The scene got fuzzy and we ended back in my room.
---
I opened my eyes and saw Damon casually leaning aganist the window, his back to me. "She never kept that promise...did she?" I asked. "What gave it away?" He asked. "I've been lied to by someone I care about." I replied. he turned around and looked at me.

Damon sat down on the bed as I remained standing in front of my bedroom door. "What can you do?" I asked. A small smile spread across his face. "Super speed, super strength, super hearing and vision...My blood heals people. Yada yada yada." he said. "What about the sunlight? What happens if you get caught in it?" I asked. "I burn. But I have a spell put over me." He said. "A spell?" I asked. "I'm connected to a very powerful witch that owed me a favor a looong time ago. When I'm caught in the sunlight nothing happens." He said. "What about mirrors?" I asked. He smirked. "Myth." He replied. "Garlic?" I asked. "Myth created by vampires." He said. "Coffins?" I asked, trying to take this all in. "Nope. I sleep in a bed. But you already know that." He said, raising his eyebrow. I blushed and looked away. "So...?"He pushed. I looked at him. "What?"I asked. "You expect me to accept all this...who knows how many innoncent people you killed." I said. "More than you want to know about." He said, a smug look on his face. "Are you going to kill me?" I asked, my heartbeat accelerating. "Calm donw, Cora. I can hear your heatbeat from the other side of the room...No, I'm not going to kill you." He said. I swallowed and tried to calm down. "Why not?" I asked. He frowned. "I don't know yet." He replied. "When did she leave you?" I asked, referring to Isabella. "A hundred and ninety-eight years ago." He replied. "Your house, I thought you lived in Italy? Your house is--." I began changing the subject. "An exact replica. Yeah." He interrupted, knowing what I was about to ask. I nodded. "When did you come to America?" I asked. "Eighteen sixty-four. Me and my sister, Alexandria, moved here to Virginia when all of our friends died." He replied. "Your sister,Alexandria, was that who was in your house this morning?" I asked. He shook his head. "Then who?" I asked. "Isabella is back." he replied. I sighed, "What kind of vampire is Isabella?" I asked. "The kind that would kill you in a heartbeat." He replied. I shuddered involuntarily. "Great, just what I need." I mumbled. "After she left Alexandria and I in 1814, she relocated to France and lived there for twenty years. And after that she seemed to disappear off the face of the earth. Then, in 2009 I saw her in Chicago, at a concert." He replied. I chuckled. "You went to a concert?" I asked. He laughed with me. "Unfortunately it was Alexandria's birthday and she insisted on going to see Rihanna." He said. I smile spread across my face, then disappeared. "So, she's here...in Fells Church?" I asked. He nodded. "And what do you plan on doing when you find her?" I asked. "Simple." He began. I looked up at him with curious eyes. "Kill her." he finished.

I pushed the accelerator and my small car sped up, flying down the road. Rain pounded on the windshield as I pulled into the parking lot of the club. As the rain let up I went inside, to be rudely greeted by my boss. "What's wrong?" I asked as he pulled me past the bar and up to his office. "What did Kleo tell you?" He asked. I shook my head, trying to regain anything important she told me before she died. "I have no idea what your talking about." I said. He rolled his eyes and held on tighter to my arm. "Let go of me." I said through my teeth. His grip on my wrist loosened. "Get back to work." He simply said. "Steven..." I began. "I said get back to work!" He yelled over the thumping music below us. I flinched and quickly returned to the bar downstairs. The club was slightly crowded and at the bar he sat. I walked around the bar and started pouring his drink. "What an unexpected surprise." He said. "Not really. What do you want?" I asked. He nodded towards the drink in my hand. "My drink would be nice." He replied sarcastically. I smirked and slammed his drink down on the counter. "I meant--." I began. "I know what you meant. What do you want me to say? I miss you? I can't live without you?" He interrupted. I sighed and rolled my eyes. "Isabel won't let me leave alone. I needed a drink." He said. I started to pour another drink and looked over at him. "What? No fun staying in bed all day?" I asked. He smirked and raised his glass. "To you..for being..." He started. "Stupid, desperate....oh, did I say stupid?" I finished. He smiled. "Please...just go away." I said wiping up salt from the counter top. "Not a chance." He said. I turned my body to him. "Why?" I asked, truly pissed off. He looked down, suddenly serious. "I don't know." He said. I rolled my eyes and walked away.
---
I walked out of the club and over to my BMW when a gush of wind blew behind me. "Damon..go away--." I began when something pushed me into the hood of my car. My head hit the hood with a thud and slightly cut open. I was spun around, a gasp escaped from my lips as I saw... "Steven?" I asked. His weight on me felt like a ton of bricks. His green eyes became blood red and underneath veins erupted from his skin. "You're a--?" I trailed off. "Vampire...yeah. I'm good at hiding it. Living at the club and staying inside all the time. No one seemed to notice. But I had my eye on something...something I want." He said. "What? What do you want?" I asked, panic-stricken. His fangs extended and he bit down into my neck. I shrill scream broke out from my pale colored lips. I closed my eyes in sudden pain and just like that he was gone, the pain stopped. I opened my eyes and saw Steven and Damon fighting. Black spots blurred my vision and my legs went weak. "Damon..." I breathed. I fell to my knees and then slowly hit the ground. Around me everything went black.

My eyes opened to the sudden wave of terror as I remembered what recently happened. I looked around my surroundings to see me in Damon's car. I was alone in the car, in the cold. The door opened and I felt warm hands pull me out. Damon had me in his arms and he was carrying me into his house. I tried to stay awake but I just couldn't. My eyes closed and I fell back into nothing.
---
"Damon.." I whispered. I felt warm hands at my hair and when I opened my eyes there he was. "What happened? Where's...Steven? He was a ---." I began. "I took care of him." He assured me. I nodded. "Y-you s-saved me." I said slightly smiling. I leaned in and lightly kissed his lips, a thank you...so to speak. We slowly pulled away and looked at each other. I saw a look in his eye and I knew. He pushed his lips to mine,crushing me with his weight as he hovered on top of me. I tangled my fingers in his raven-colored hair. I pulled away and saw a hunger in his eyes and I suddenly realized. I...I think I love him. He leaned his head down and slowly starting building up the passion.
--- I looked to the right of me and saw Damon looking back at me. His chest was bare as I ran my hand through his soft hair; down to his neck and finally resting it on his chest. "Good morning." I whispered. "Morning." He said, leaning over and slowly kissing my lips. The sun peeked through the drapes and played at the strands of his hair, showing the red in it. He looked my over, wrapped in his soft blue sheets, and smiled. "What?" I asked. He shook his head. "I was so set on leaving this town but I realized I couldn't...because of you." He said. I smirked. "I wonder why that is..." I said hiding a smile. "Yeah, go ahead...say it." He said. "You're smitten with me. Admit it." I said. "I will only if you will." He said. "I'm falling for you, Damon." I admitted, to him and to myself. "I fell for you the first time I dreamt of you." He said. I smiled and kissed his lips. "I like new beginnings." He admitted. I smiled. "Me too." I said.

I sat on the couch, completely and utterly exhausted. Damon came back from the kitchen with two glasses filled to the rim with orange juice. He handed me one, his fingertips brushing against mine. I took it willingly and took a small sip. He sat down next to me, his chest bare and slightly shimmering. The chime of the doorbell rang and he stood up, walking to the door. "Are you expecting someone?" I asked. He chuckled darkly and pulled open the door. "Hello Mr. De Luca. Your mail." A deep, southern voice said from behind the small wall separating Damon and I. I heard a thud and then silence. "Damon?" I called out into the house. No answer. "Damon! Where are you?" I called, louder this time. I heard a door close in the hallway upstairs. I sat the glass of orange juice on the table beside me and quietly tip toed to the foot of the stairs. The hem of Damon's black button-up shirt brushed against my thigh. I quietly walked up the stairs until I was at Damon's closed bedroom door. I found the iron ore door knob and slightly turned. I pushed open the door and saw Damon hovering over a body, drinking it dry. "Damon!" I yelled. He turned around and exposed his fangs and blood-red eyes. I backed up into the wall, scared...of him. "Cora?" He breathed. I nodded. His eyes went back to the familiar blue and his fangs disappeared. He was my Damon again. "Why?" I asked, looking at the dead mailman on the floor. He shrugged. "I was hungry." He said. I shook my head and continued to back up farther into the wall. "Are you scared?" He asked. I nodded. "Yes." I mumbled. He tilted his head and looked at me. Blood dripped from his mouth down onto his chest. Blood red against his beautiful pale white skin shimmered by the light of the sun creeping through the window. "What?" He involuntarily asked. "You're..." I began. "Sexy, irresistible, undeniably handsome?" He joked. "A monster." I said. He nodded. "Duh. I'm a vampire...what did you think I drink? Capri sun?" He replied. I shook my head. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, the blood going with it. "Don't be scared of me. I'm not going to hurt you." He promised. My eyebrows drew together. "Why?" I asked. "I... unfortunately...care about you." he said, half-serious-half-joking. I stifled a smile and looked at my red toenails. He put his finger under my chin and titled my head up to look at him. He bent down and lightly kissed me, the blood completely gone from his mouth. I pulled away and looked back at the dead body on his bedroom floor. "Please...never in front of me...again." I said. He nodded. "Dully noted." He replied slowly.

Damon slipped a black shirt on over his clean body and buttoned it up. A light breeze blew through the old De Luca mansion. "Alexandria?" He called out. "Hello, Damon." A chilling voice called from behind him. He spun around to see Isabel. Her hair fell over her shoulders like a wave of sun. "Isabel." He said, a sound of disgust rippling through him. "What the hell do you want? I thought you said you were leaving." He asked. She found herself a seat at the end of his bed. "I did then I thought that I left you once, I won't do it again." She said, looking him in the eye. He scoffed. "You want me to come with you? Never." He said. She smiled a toothy smile and stood back up, walking to where he stood and touched his face. "Come with me, Damon." She said. He moved away from her touch and backed up. "Leave." He said. She smiled and leaned in, pressing her lips to his. "I'll be seeing you Damon." She said turning to leave. "But remember the offer still stands." She said before vanishing. Damon put his fingers to his lips as they burned. "Greaaaat." He said feeling the upcoming emotion that he stored away for so long. He felt something for her.

I fell backwards on my bed and sighed. The empty house slightly frightened me. The wind blowing throwing the it, threatening to knock it over like a stack of cards. I heard a faint screech and Damon stood at the end of my bed. "Geez!" I yepled. "Don't. Do. That!" I yelled. His intense gaze didn't lift. "What's the matter?" I questioned, becoming nervous. "You need to come with me." He said pulling open her closet door and throwing random clothes into one of her duffel bags. "What are you doing? Damon, stop...stop!" I yelled, ripping his hands from the bag. "It's Isabella...She's coming for you. You need to leave." He replied. I shook my head. "Why is she coming after me?" I questioned. He shook his head. "I don't know. All I know is is that you need to go." He replied handing me my denim jacket. I slipped my arms in it and pulled my hair into a low ponytail. He pulled me out of my house and to his mustang in a hurry. "Where are we going?"I questioned. "My place. I need to give you something." He said as he rushed out of my neighborhood.

Damon pulled me down the stairs into his basement and pulled open a large door. We walked through and were rudely greeted by, I'm assuming, Isabella. She hit Damon in the face...causing him to fall to the floor unconcious. She grabbed me by the shoulders and pushed me to the floor. After giving me a evil smile she pulled her fist back and punched me into darkness.
--- I woke up to see Damon strapped to a metal chair. I tried to wiggle my wrists free from the chains that bound me to a wall. "Cora? Are you okay?" He asked. I nodded; unable to speak due to the state of shock I was in. "What do you want with her?!" He yelled. Isabella lounged across the room. "Nothing. I'm just using her as insintive...to get back what you stole from me." She replied. Damon's eyes grew very dark. "Still a 'no' to giving it back? Okay then. Shall we start?" Isabella kneeling down in front of me. I tried to squirm away from her grasp but she caught my throat in her manicured hands. "Get the hell away from me you bitch!" I yelled. Isabella chuckled and looked at Damon. "Looks like your type hasn't changed." She teased. I heard a low growl that came from Damon's chest. Isabella tightened her grasp on my throat...the air escaping me. "Stop!" Damon yelled. She let go of my throat. "Tell me where the locket is!" She yelled. "No, Damon...don't!" I yelled. Damon remained silent. Isabella pushed her hand down on my shoulder. A loud pop rang out but was soon drowned by the sound of my screams. "End her pain, Damon." He fought at the chains wrapping around his arms and torso. "Isabella don't do this!" He yelled. She retreated back to the oppostie side of the small cellar and picked up a dull needle. I whimpered at the pain in my shoulder and kept my eyes glued on Damon. He looked at Isabella in horror. "What are you doing? She isn't one of the elements! Leave her out of it!" He yelled. "Oh...But she is. That's the other reason to why I'm here...her blood is one of the three elements to breaking the curse...you have that magical spell over you..unlike the rest of us. We're tired of being cast to the night." She finished, inching closer to me with the needle in hand. "Damon..." I said, finally using my voice. He instantly looked at me. "Just look at me Cora. Look at me--." He began, but his words were interrupted with my shrieks. She jabbed the needle into the side of my neck. Tears rolled down my face as I fell to darkness...agonizing darkness.

I woke up to find myself laying on my side, blood draining from my neck. I groaned inwardly as I sat up. Damon was passed out in the chair, his neck and forearms covered in bite marks. I looked across the room to see Isabella washing blood off of her hands with a cloth rag. "What did you mean when you said I was a key element? Element to what excatly?" I spoke up. She turned to me, her eyes piercing through mine. "About time you woke up." She said, dodging my question. "Tell me everything and I...I promise to help you." I bargained. She scoffed. "How do you plan on helping me?" She questioned. I took a reassuring breath. "I'll give you my blood...all of it. But I want something in return." I replied. She rose a blond eyebrow at me. "I'm listening." She said turning her body to me. "My blood for his freedom...you never contact him or his sister again. You let him leave this town alive." I said looking over at him. His black hair hung in his eyes. His porecilin like skin shined with sweat. Isabella followed my eyes and smirked. "For him you'd give up your life?" She asked, truely curious. I looked back at her. "Do we have a deal or not?" I questioned. "Deal." She said uncrossing her arms and smiling. "And do you promise to let him and Alexandria leave?" I asked, double-checking. She was silent. "Do I have your word?" I pressed on. "You have my word." She said making an 'X' over her unbeating heart. Isabella walked over to Damon and slapped him...waking him up. 'Didn't your mother ever tell you to not make deals with th

I tried to stay awake, but the pain rang through my body... causing me to drift to sleep.--- Damon's warm hands brushed across my shoudlers; his touch delicate like the wind. "Dam--?" I began. "Shh." He whispered as he pressed a soft kiss to the base of my throat. A still tear slipped out of my eye. His head shot up and his eyes searched my face. "Don't do that...it makes me feel uncomfortably...human." He replied. The tears continued. "Are you okay?"I asked as he took me up in his arms. He was silent. "Damon?" I pressed on. I felt him smile into my hair. "Don't worry about me. Are you okay?" He questioned. I nodded. "I will be." I replied truthfully. And I would be okay when this was all over and he was safe. I felt his lips at my cheek and they slowly made their way to my mouth. He kissed me long and hard; his hands pulling me closer to him. He pulled away and looked down at me. "I had no idea that...that you'd be the one I fell in love with." He said. I half-smiled. But something in my gut told me that there was more he wasn't telling me. "Why does it feel like you're saying 'goodbye'?" I questioned. His dark eyebrows drew together. "Because I am. I'm going to try and distract her..you get out when you can...and you run." He said. I shook my head violently. "No..Damon..." I trailed off. "You have to get out...you have to run...don't stop till you're at home."He said. Tears spilled over my eyelids. "I can't leave you."I whispered. "You have to." He said. Before I could say anything he kissed me and before I could stop him I was awake and back in the cellar. Damon was awake and looking at me from the corner of his eye. I saw Damon's restraints slightly loosen and then mine seemed easier to wriggle out of. Isabella's back was to me and she quietly talked with Damon. I slid up against the wal until I was on my feet. All of a sudden Damon had Isabella's throat in his mouth; she screamed as he shredded up the skin on her jugular. I tore my eyes away from their mixed growls and pulled open the door. I bolted up the stairs...not looking behind me. I ran out of the front door to be greeted by the harsh light of day. I ran as far as my broken shoulder and weak body would carry me. I fell to the gravel and turned to look back at the house. My mind wandered and I felt faint. I swore I could hear his screaming. I felt my heart rip as I clawed at the gravel; a failed attempt to crawl back to the mansion... to him. I couldn't accept the fact that I left him...or the fact that that was the last dream I would ever have with him.

The sun vanished behind the remaining clouds as I saw a dark figure appear at the doorway of the mansion. "Damon?" I whispered. Within a matter of seconds he was at my side. His neck was coverded in blood and he protectively covered his left side. I pried his hand away and saw a small wooden stake in his side. I wrapped my small hand around it and looked up at his cold blue eyes. He nodded and I quickly removed the stake. He yelped and fell onto my shoulder. "Where's Isabella?" I questioned. "S-she ran off." He said into my shirt. I quinted and looked in the distance. I saw blond hair whipping in the wind, and a sadistic smile plastered on her face. I shuddered as I pulled Damon closer. "It's okay...It's over." I comforted him as I rubbed his raven colored hair. He looked at me and placed his cold lips on mine. "For now." He added.

"How is she?" I heard Damon's voice ring out through my house. He was at the front door talking to my mom. "She's better than yesterday...still healing." My mother replied with a sniffle. "Can I see her?" He asked, I heard his motorcycle boot cross over the threashold. "I don't know if that's a good idea, Damon." She said. "Mom...It's okay." I called out. I heard her walk into her room and shut the door and Damon walked down the hall and came into my room. "Hey." He said as he stood in the doorway. "Hi." I replied, my voice catching in my throat. I could never get over how beautiful he was. His eyes always seemed to calm me; so sirene and full of passion. I scooted over in my bed and he slightly smiled. He removed his famous leather jacket; throwing it on a chair next to my desk and fell into the bed with me. "How are you feeling?" He asked. "I feel much better, my head still hurts, but I'm okay." I replied. His arm was wrapped around my shoulders and my head laid on his chest. I looked up at him through my dark brown eyelashes and sighed. "Stop that." I demanded. He smirked. "Stop what?" He replied. "Stop brooding. Stop acting like this is your fault." I said. He shook his head. "It is my fault. I should've never came back. Isabella would've never followed me. You never would've gotten hurt and I wouldn't have to make you lie to your mom." He said. I sighed. "Shut up and kiss me." I said. He did as I asked, like he had all month, he bent his head down and kissed me.

I picked up the key from under the mat and unlocked the door. I stepped inside to be greeted by a heavenly smell, a smell of cookies. Mom stood at the stove, baking vigorously. "What are you doing?" I laughed, seeing the mess on her face. "The party. At Damon's house tonight? You signed me up for the baking." She said. I sighed and rubbed my head. "I completely forgot, sorry." I said. She waved it off. "Just go get dressed.
~~~~~~
After twenty minutes of browseing I found a grey strapless dress and black heels. My hair was wavy around my face as I opened my bedroom door to find mom in a teal dress; her red hair piled up on her head in an elegant bun. "You ready?" She asked. I nodded and helped load the baked goods into the car.
~~~~~
Damon answered the door in an all black suit ensemble and a casual smirk on his face. My vampire boyfriend looked very sexy today. Mom and I stepped into his house and mom went to put the baked goods in the enormous kitchen. "Hey." I said when she walked away. He smirked. "Hey." He leaned in and kissed my lips softly. A few people lounged around the spacious mansion, others yet to arrive. He led me into the parlor room by my hand. "Cora, there's someone I want you to meet." He said. A girl standing at five feet and six inches rose from her chair and smiled at me; each tooth matching the other. Her eyes were light and heavnely. If I didn't know she was a vampire I would've mistaken her for an angel, that's how beautiful she was. Her hair was jet blac, like Damon's, and it flowed down her back like a waterfall. "Hello, you must be Cora. I'm Alexandria." She purred, extedning her hand. I took it and lightly shook it. "Sorry to run off like this but I'm being flagged down by someone. Excuse me brother." She spoke to Damon. Once she left I sighed in defeat. "She doesn't like me does she?" I said sadly. He shook his head. "No it's not that it's just that we have an unwanted party guest." He said, looking over my shoulder. I followed his gaze and it landed on Isabella.

"Damon." I said, my hand intertwining with his. He looked at me seriously. "Promise that you'll run if I tell you to?" He whispered. I nodded. Just then Isabella came over to us. "Hello, Damon. Please excuse us Cora. The grown ups need to talk." She rudely said. Damon's cold hand ripped from mine as she pushed me aside. I slowly side-stepped and walked into the kitchen, in search of my mother. Damon stood with Isabella until Cora vanished into the kitchen. "Leave us alone." He said. She smiled. "You hid what I want, I'll leave if you tell me where it is." She said. He shook his head. "Then show me. I will agree to leave her alone if you leave town with me and remain at my side until I say otherwise." She bargained. He thought. If he left Cora could have a normal life again, she could forget about him; he could make her forget. He already agreed. A silent nod let Isabella know and she smiled. Damon went to tell Cora to go back to her house and that he'd be there later when Isabella grabbed his arm. "You can't tell her. She'll follow you. Just meet me outside of town at midnight." She said. After placing a kiss on his cheek she left. Damon went and found Cora, telling her to take her m other home and to stay there.
---
I sat on my bed forever, staring at the window...waiting for him to show up. Minutes ticked by when suddenly he was in my room; I slightly jumped. He was fully dressed and had a few things in his hand. His eyes were cold and sad. I looked at him quizically. "Damon. what is it?" I questioned. He sighed. "I made a deal with Isabella." He said. "What kind of deal?" I questioned. He looked away from my face. "I'm leaving,Cora." He finally said.

"What? No...No. I won't let you!" I protested. He shook his head violently. "Stop it, Cora. You know your life will be better with me gone." He explained. I shook my head, my hair moving with my head. Tears fell down my red cheeks. "Damon, please please don't leave me." I pleaded. "Cora, I hsve to go. Just...come here." He said, holding out his hand. I took his hand and stood with him. "Will you let me help you forget?" He asked. My eyebrows drew together. "Forget...?" I trailed off, then realized. He wanted to erase ay memory I had with him and every thought I had of him. I ripped my hand from his. "No! I won't let you! You're leaving! Can't I atleast have the memory of you?!" I yelled. He looked angry. "Why? Why would you want them?" He asked. "To remind myself that you were real." I hesitated. "That the way I love you is real. Damon, I love you." I whispered. He looked away, his his growing misty. "Don't make this any harder than it already is. I came to say 'goodbye', something I'm now realizing was a big mistake." He said. I opened my mouth to reply when there was a thud outside of my room. I pulled open the door and walked into the kitchen, Damon behind me. "Yes, Damon. Coming here was a big mistake." Isabella said, letting my mother fall to the ground, blood surrounding her. "No!" I yelled as I fell to the floor with my mother's body. Blood was caked onto Isabella's mouth; my mother's blood. "I told you there would be consequences to you coming to see her." Isabella told the angry Damon behind me. Damon leaned forward; preparing to fight Isabella. "Get out. Both of you." I spoke through my tears. His gaze softenend. "Cora." He said. "Get out! And don't ever come back!" I yelled. Isabella was gone with a gush of wind and Damon lingered at the front door. "I'm so sorry." He whispered. I looked up at him through my tears and glared. He took one last look at me and then closed the door behind him. I pulled my cell phone out of my back pocket and dialed 911.

~ A week Later~
Tears threatened to fall as I stared at myself in the mirror; placing earrings in my empty ears. I looked at the pictures along the mirror, all of my mother. Now all I had were pictures, no more mornings with her. No more hearing herlaugh or seeing her smile, or feeling her love. She is gone, really gone. I flatened out my black dress and leaned against the window pane, staring out over the driveway; looking at the black limo that was awaiting me. A knock rang out on my doorframe. "Cora, it's time to go." Said my cousin, Jeremy. I nodded, wiping away the tears that were falling down my cheeks. "I'm ready." I lied as I picked up a boquet of roses.
Ran trickled over the heads of the few people invited to the funeral. I looked up at the sky to see dark clouds begin to rumble over our heads. A grey tombstone shined in the little light that was left; peeking through the clouds. I set a single rose at my best friend's grave sight. Another rose at my father's tombstone and the remaining ten roses in front of my mother's grave. Tears flooded over my moist face and trailed down the side of my face and over my collarbone. I tried to hide the sobs but I couldn't, I knew everyone heard but I really didn't care. She was my mother. A few days ago she was here and now she's gone. Just like that. A warm hand rested on the small of my back; gently stroaking in between my shoulder blades. I turned around to be greeted with ocean-blue eyes and a soft smile. I fell into his arms, not caring how angry I was at him, at Isabella. "Damon." I breathed. He stroaked my hair and pulled me in closer to him. "I'm so sorry c-cora." He said, his voice slightly quivering. I wanted to look up to see if he was tearing up but somewhere deep inside of me I knew he was. I pulled away a few minutes later. "How did you get away from Isabella?" I questioned. "I just asked if I could come back to do this." He said. My eyebrows furrowed together. "Do what?" I questioned. He put his hands at either side of my face and then his pupils went into slits. "Damon, don't..." I muttered. "You will forget you ever met me." He said sadly. "You will forget about vampires and you will grieve for your mother. You will not come looking for me." He said. "I won't come looking for you." I repeated, in a daze. "You will forget, that I loved you with all my heart. And you will forget that you loved me." He said, a tear fell from one of his beautiful eyes. I closed my eyes and a gush of wind washed over my face, when I opened my eyes I was being stared at. "Are you okay?" My cousin, Jeremy, asked. I nodded. "I'm fine." I lied.

~ One month Later~
Since she died I couldn't help but be a stone of a girl who once was happy, who once had a mom and a dad and a best friend. But now they were all gone, they all left me alone in this world...alone and afraid. I picked up the wash rag and wiped off the counter of the bar. Someone sat down in front of me, it was him, the guy that made my heart skip a beat whenever he was around. I looked up and my eyes met soft green eyes. "You're back." I muttered. "I told you I would be." He replied. I smiled and slid a beer across the bar. I looked up at him and studied the boyishly handsome features of his face. He had thick, brown eyebrows that hung lazily above eyes, wild and green. His chesnut hair was the same color that lingered in the green in his eyes. He was taller than me, well so was everyone. I smiled as he looked up at the TV hanging across the way, trying to find something to study. We had been going back and forth with this flirting for three weeks. I grabbed a slip of paper and wrote down my name and number. I slid it across the short space between us and laid it in front of his hands. He smiled, without looking at me. "I thought I was supposed to make the first move." He stated with a stupidly cute grin on his face. "Well, you were taking too long." I stated before turning back to stone.

Everytime I close my eyes I dream of a man, a man with fierce blue eyes. Never any other feature just his eyes. I try to look further, peering into him, trying to see around his eyes and see his hair or his lips or nose. Never anything more than his eyes. I shot up in my bed and started to cry, cry for my dad, my mom and my best friend. I'm all alone...why me? Why do I have to hurt like this? I stood up and walked into the kitchen, I poured myself a glass of water and walked out to the back porch. I opened the back door and cold wind washed over my body, calming me. If I listenned closely I could swear I could hear my name being called. "Mom?" I questioned. A fter a few seconds i laughed and walked back inside.

I stood behind the bar in slightly different attire, I was wearing a red pin stripe blouse and a jean skirt with converse. I usually wore loose and club-like clothes. But I wanted to look clean and upkept for when he arrived. I wiped off the counters and poured the alcoholic down the way his last drink of the night. I turned my back to take the tip and put it in my jar. I felt a little piece of something, hit my back and thud to the gorund. I turned to see Stephen sitting as his normal barstool, smile and all. I grinned and walked over to him. "What can I get you to drink?" I asked, getting out a glass. He smiled wider. "No, drink for me. I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me." He asked. I smiled. *Now? I'm working." I explained. he nodded, "I know. I was hoping after." he said I nodded and looked at him. "Okay, I'll meet you outside at nine o'clock." I turned before anymore sould be said. I felt so giddy, like for the first time someone that I was attracted to you, said your name, I felt like for once I got everything what I wanted.

I opened the front door of my apartment, hoping to see the warm face of my boyfriend of six months. "Stephen? Are you here?" my voice was hopeful and energetic. I had had a long day managing Chaos and I wanted to come home and cuddle up with my baby. I wanted to have a glass of wine, watch a movie and crawl into bed. But like everyday, that rarely ever happens. Stephen usually gets called in to work around two AM. Dating an intern at St. Simon's Hospital was never easy, but he loved it and I loved him. I can't remember the last time I was in love like this...maybe 2nd grade when I saw Kleo's dress, that was a very pretty dress. I felt myself laugh at the memory of my late best friend. I missed her...and mom. I missed everyone. But there was someone who I missed I just oculdn't remember who. I only remember the eyes of that someone, blue, deep and somber..burning holes through me, leaving me quivering; needing more. I opened the fridge and grabbed my glass of wine from last night, bringing the rim to my lips to have a quick taste. As I made my way to Stephen and I's room I pulled off my heavy winter coat and boots, laying them over the table in the hall, running a hand through my hair as I walked lazily to my bedroom. I took another longing swig at the alcoholic beverage, smiling at the hope that Stephen was waiting for me behind the bedroom door, that hope was soon crushed when I remembered that he had been swamped when I called him around lunch to see if he wanted to go out to dinner. He said he'd be working late. I frowned effortlessly and clenched at the knob as a weight appeared in my heart. I pushed open the heavy door that sometimes stuck in the door jam and trudged in, strands of my shoulder length brown hair falling from the barret in my hair. I fumbled with the lamp switch on the side table and blinked my eyes a few times before switching it on, turning to set my wine glass on the nightstand I saw a figure standing at the large bay window on the opposite side of the room, its back facing me. I squinted again, wishing I had wore my sometimes needed contacts this morning. "Hello?" I called out, not sure if my mind, or the wine, was playing tricks on me. The figure turned around, the soft light barely reaching to the figure to highlight its features. I was thankful that I held on to the wineglass, my fingers becoming like claws as I made out the only feature visible in the slim light. Those eyes. Azure pools of blue looked back at me, setting my heart into a climatic state. I felt the air leave my lungs as those eyes danced across my face, taking in my reaction. My heart beated painfully inside the cobwebbed walls of my chest as I tried to place a name and face to the eyes, those eyes that haunted my dreams for months. The face was becoming clearer in my head; those raven colored eyebros, soft to the touch. Those rose colored lips that had said so many words, words that shaped my being into existence. Those lips that covered my body in a shower of kisses. That pale, silky hard skin that was ice cold against mine, the way we made heat ignite from the core of our being. That toothy smile that sent the butterflies in my stomach into a fit. Those eyes that read every emotion, every wish, every feeling and granted it. Those eyes that made me love, truly love. "Hello, Cora. You cut your hair." The man said with a light and humourous thrill in his voice. My breath caught slower as the images, memories flooded back into my mind. He was here...He was here. He was back. Oh my god. I can't breathe, I can't breathe. Oh god, Damon, I can't breathe. My heart was breaking at the sudden rememberance that he was my life, my soul, my eternity. He was back and he was here. I felt the world shift from under my feet as I looked on him. My body grew hot and I felt the wineglass, I held onto fiercly moments ago, slip from my nimble fingers and fall to the floor in a simple crash; the wine gurgling out onto my white carpet. The one owrd came out was weak and frail and was coated in raw emotion, but yet it was so freeing to say. It felt right lying on the tongue that danced behind my lips. It was natural. "Damon?"



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 11 comments.


WrightOrLeft said...
on Sep. 23 2012 at 4:14 pm
WrightOrLeft, Smyrna, Georgia
0 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Death isn't a peaceful release. It's a journey to hell. And trust me sweetie, it isn't fun." - Damon Salvatore

NEW INSTALLMENT!!!!

CrazyGirl101 said...
on Feb. 5 2012 at 2:40 am
Pleaseeee write more this is amazing. I could probably eat it, it's that good. No joke what would make it better would be a sequel.

Keeta BRONZE said...
on Jan. 24 2012 at 4:17 pm
Keeta BRONZE, Lehigh, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
the past cant be changed so live in the present.

you should write a sequel were Damon comes back to Fells Church to get Cora back.

on Dec. 21 2011 at 1:19 am
BreakingInside BRONZE, Pinson, Alabama
4 articles 0 photos 29 comments
AMAZING! I LOVED IT! Could you please come check out a few of my things? And soon something new will be posted it will be my first book!

WrightOrLeft said...
on Nov. 18 2011 at 8:40 am
WrightOrLeft, Smyrna, Georgia
0 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Death isn't a peaceful release. It's a journey to hell. And trust me sweetie, it isn't fun." - Damon Salvatore

Thank you! I hope you enjoyed it. Wow, did you read all of the chapters? :)

SN3RD BRONZE said...
on Nov. 9 2011 at 10:03 pm
SN3RD BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm the bugs bunny, and if you ain't got my carrots, you ain't got nothin' for me!" --Nicki Minaj

The summary is really what dragged me in, you're a great writer! Want to come check me out and give me some feedback? :) Hunter's Point or Perceptive

WrightOrLeft said...
on Nov. 1 2011 at 8:33 am
WrightOrLeft, Smyrna, Georgia
0 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Death isn't a peaceful release. It's a journey to hell. And trust me sweetie, it isn't fun." - Damon Salvatore

New update!!!! Kleo, the dead best friend, has a new last name, instead of Brown it is going to be Gilbert!!!

WrightOrLeft said...
on Jun. 1 2011 at 7:20 pm
WrightOrLeft, Smyrna, Georgia
0 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Death isn't a peaceful release. It's a journey to hell. And trust me sweetie, it isn't fun." - Damon Salvatore

Haha . Thanks. Hey, give me some of your work.... i REALLY want to read it. :) TTFN. :)

on May. 29 2011 at 5:15 am
AussiMusicLover BRONZE, Central Coast, Other
4 articles 1 photo 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams
The hottest love has the coldest end.
Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop
Falling in love is awfully simple, but falling out of love is simply awful.

Welcome! How could someone NOT like it?! that would be INSANE!  So excited for new chapters!! :D :D :D

WrightOrLeft said...
on May. 29 2011 at 1:27 am
WrightOrLeft, Smyrna, Georgia
0 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Death isn't a peaceful release. It's a journey to hell. And trust me sweetie, it isn't fun." - Damon Salvatore

Thank you! I was SOOO worried when I worte this that no one would like it. Thanks for the kind words! :) New chapters will be up within the week.

on May. 27 2011 at 10:35 pm
AussiMusicLover BRONZE, Central Coast, Other
4 articles 1 photo 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams
The hottest love has the coldest end.
Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop
Falling in love is awfully simple, but falling out of love is simply awful.

One Word... A-MAZ-ING!!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS! Would love to pick up a ton of books by you one day :D :D