The Secret Daughters of the Moon | Teen Ink

The Secret Daughters of the Moon

May 20, 2011
By TheScene SILVER, Brackenridge, Pennsylvania
More by this author
TheScene SILVER, Brackenridge, Pennsylvania
9 articles 7 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"... And once you lose yourself, You have two choices: Find the person you used to be... or lose that person completly."~ Brooke Davis

"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it eludes you, but if you turn your attention to others things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder." ~ Thoreau


..."Just when the catipillar thought the world was over; it became a butterfly" ~ Anonymous

"Imperfection is beauty. Madness is genius. & it's better to be absolutly ridiculous than absolutly stupid." ~ Marilyn Moroe


Once upon a time, (Well it really was not that long ago), in the kingdom of the gods, there was the goddess Artemis. From a young age, she vowed to be a virgin forever, but did she keep her vow? On May 19, 1996 three baby girls were born. Artemis kept them a secret from her father, Zeus. The babies were left on the doorstep of a California orphanage with a note. Each girl had a silver necklace with a very elaborate design. All the designs were almost the same, but one had a single tiny diamond, one had two tiny diamonds, and the last one had three tiny diamonds. The poor babies were out there until morning when the orphanage’s director, Veronica, found them. She put the girls inside, picked up the note, and read it.

Dear Orphanage,
I am sorry to leave my daughters here, but I did not know what to do. Please separate them and never let them know that they have each other, but please, please make sure that you keep each one with their own necklace. The first of my daughters has the necklace with only one diamonds, she is the eldest, and her name is Arista Parthenia. The second of my daughters has two diamonds in her necklace, she is the middle child, and her name is Adonia Zelena. The youngest has three diamonds, her name is Aura Halia. Please take care of them and make sure that they are adopted!

Love,
Their Mother

In the next week, Veronica came to love the girls; they were extremely beautiful and so full of life. They all had dark hair and bright grey-blue eyes. Veronica was really taken with Arista and she decided to adopt her. Two weeks after they had been dropped off, a rich couple came to the orphanage, there names were Mr. and Mrs. Mellon. They saw Adonia and thought that she was perfect! They adopted her and took her back to the mansion in upstate Maine. Two weeks after that a single man came in, he was looking for a little girl to spoil. He knew the second he saw Aura that she was the little girl for him. He adopted her and they headed back for Montana.

Adonia lived a very privileged life. She got everything she had ever wanted and more. She lived in a huge beach house by the sea and went to the best private school in Maine, Sundance Academy. She remained sweet and kind-hearted. As she grew older, she was the most beautiful person in town. Everyone was jealous of her. She was the kind of person that the quarter back wanted to date and the girl who would sit with the strange kids… she was the talk of the town. Everyone was friends with her and anyone who was not wanted to be. She was very charming to everyone and she had air of mystery about her. She was very kind and loving like everyone else but it was as if she was drawn to the moon. She always stayed up late and she was always on the beach or in the water when she was not at school. No one had ever seen her do any homework and yet she remained a strait A student. Her appearance had always bewildered the towns-people. She had hair the color of a new born fawns’ coat, wavy like the ripples of the ocean tide that hit right below her shoulders. Her eyes were the color of the midnight sky hidden behind the moon. Her parents never kept anything secret from her, she’d always know that she was adopted, her parents even kept her birth name; Adonia Zelena, but decided to call her Addi. She had never spoke of wanting to know her real mother. Two days before she turned 13, the pain deep inside became over bearing and she ran away…

“Aura Halia Carters! Get your butt down here and clean the stables! Do you think Luna knows how to clean her own stable!?” screamed Aura’s father, Roy Carters.
“Coming Daddy!” said a very annoyed Aura.
She made her way down the long hallway of the ranch house, making sure to take her time. Even though she loved her horses, the thing that she absolutely loathed was cleaning the stables. But the second she opened the stable doors and saw her two horses, Whisper and Luna, an immediate smile grew across her face.
“Whisper! Luna!” said Aura as she ran to hug Luna.
“You are my only escape… if only you could talk, but sometimes I feel you can.” started Aura, “Not that I don’t love my father and our town. It is the most gorgeous place on Earth. I just feel like part of my soul is missing and I don’t know why, but one day I will put all of the pieces together!”
Aura has a pure heart and an open mind. She has long hair, the color of mahogany; that hangs in curly ringlets down her back. Her eyes were the color of an ocean at night. Aura was brushing Whisper when her father came in.
“Honey, I have a huge announcement,” exclaimed Roy.
“Yes?” asked Aura curiously.
“We’re going on a vacation to Sacramento!” Roy said happily.
“Sacramento? Do you mean like in California?” asked Aura.
“Yeah…. This is going to be so much fun!” said Roy.
So the Carters family packed up their family car and headed to California. They were almost to the hotel when Aura asked her father,
“What happened to my mother?”
“What?” asked Roy as he swerved into the oncoming traffic.
Angry drivers cursed and beeped as they swerved around Roy and Aura’s car.
“Dad!”
Roy veered back into the right lane.
“Hey genius, in America we drive on the right side of the road,” said Aura playfully.
“Oh sweetie, I know that but I was just startled by your…question,” said Roy.
“So, Dad what about my mother!” Aura said running out of patience.
“Honey, I don’t remember much about your mother. To be honest I never did. You are adopted and I do not know anything about your real mother. I am sorry I never told you, I just thought it would be the right thing.” Roy finished.
“Stop the car now!” Aura shouted at her father.
She ran out of the car right into a person’s yard to see a young lady with very similar facial features as her …

Arista did not have a life anything like either of her sisters’ lives. Her life was simple and plain. However, she never was a very proper person. She was the girl who liked to “take a walk on the wild side” (So they say). Veronica and Arista stilled lived in California, where everyone was a blonde, so it was very strange to see Arista there. Arista was such a beautiful girl, her eyes could be harsh or they could be soft and sweet; her hair is the color of chocolate that fell at the small of her back. Veronica was very loving to her and never did anything to make her upset. When Arista (who Veronica called Arii) figured out that she was adopted Veronica (who Arista called Ronii) told Arii everything about working in the orphanage.
“Ok so you found me on the doorstep of the orphanage and you fell in love with me?” asked Arii.
“Exactly, you were such a little angel and I just wanted to take you home and love you forever,” said Ronii.
Arii always trusted Ronii and believed everything. Ronii loved Arii very much and stayed with her all her life and when two girls came unexpectedly, she welcomed them!

The night Addi fled her house she had stolen her mother’s credit card, she only knew one piece of the thousand-piece puzzle, and that was she had been adopted from No Problem Adoptions. This was a problem because it was on the other side of the country in Sacramento, California. Having her mother’s credit card had many advantages like flying first class from Maine to California. It was so much flying, Addi got three virgin Shirley temples and medium rare steak. Then the fasten seat belt sign blinked and came on.
“We are beginning our descent to California National Airport please fasten your seatbelt. Thank you for flying Jet Blue! Come again!” The pilot of the plane said in a very heavy southern accent.
Addi had butterflies in her stomach she might find out who her mother and father were and why they left her. Addi was dressed in dark washed skinny jeans, a light blue tank that had a big silver bow, silver boots that were ruffled on the side, and on her head were big, black, Hollywood looking sunglasses. When the plane touched down she got out of the airport quickly. She loathed being asked questions by overly sweet flight attendants who thought she was a little girl. She called a cab and had the driver take her to where the adoption agency had been. Only the agency wasn’t there anymore, instead there was a big blue manor; it looked like no one had lived there in about five years. The next house over a girl who was about her age and looked a lot like her walked outside.
“Is this still the No Problem Adoption Agency?” asked Addi.
“The agency closed about six years ago,” said the girl.
“I’m Adonia, by the way,” said Addi”but you can call me Addi.”
“I’m Arista, but I go by Arii,” said the girl.
“Do you know if the agency moved or anything?” asked Addi.
“No. they didn’t move, they closed, and all the children were transferred to other agencies,” said Arii.
“Oh,” said Addi.
“Did you know someone who was there or anything?” asked Arii.
“I was adopted from here, I was hoping to find out something about my birth mother,” said Addi.
“Well Ronii used to work there, maybe she could help you. Why don’t you come inside?” said Arii.
“Ok… but one question. Who’s Ronii?” asked Addi as she started to go towards the house.
“My adopted mother,” said Arii.
And with that the two of them walked into the house and there on the couch were two people, a young girl (who also looked a lot like Addi and Arii) and an older woman who was talking to the girl. Addi and Arii came into the living room and sat down.
“Addi this is Rori and Ronii,” said Arii, “Ronii, Rori this is Addi, she was adopted from the agency, and she wanted to know about her mother. I thought that maybe you could help,” said Arii.
That is when they started, they never really did stop talking to each other about their adoptions, and then they found out something shocking…

The girl looked at Aura curiously. Aura felt ashamed, after all she had run into the girl’s yard and was just standing there staring at her.
“Hi, I’m Rori,” said Aura.
“Arii,” said the girl.
They looked at each other for a few minutes in complete silence.
“Why are you in my yard?” asked Arii.
They were both glad that someone had finally broken the silence, even if it was an awkward subject.
“Oh, that… I’m sort of running away from my father,” said Aura.
“Ok but how did you end up here?” asked Arii.
“We were driving to our hotel and I found out that he had been lying to me… so I ran,” said Rori.
“You ran? Why?” asked Arii.
“I don’t really know…” started Rori.
“Why don’t you come inside…? It’s not all that safe out here… a lot of crazy people come down that hill into the yard,” whispered Arii.
Rori and Arii laughed and headed inside.
The house was charming and very sparkling. The wood paneling looked like it was just put in the house but the floor looked like it had been there for hundreds of years. There were mirrors on almost every wall and there were pictures all over the house. They obviously were not self-conscious about anything (Judging by the pictures).
“Rori, this is Ronii. My mother,” said Arii.
“Hi Rori, I’m so glad to have you here,” said Ronii.
“Why isn’t it safe in the yard?” asked Rori.
“What? Arii are you trying to scare our guests again?” said Ronii.
“Ronii I was only joking with her… she just didn’t get the joke,” said Arii.
“You were only joking, huh? Well Arii not everyone gets your weird jokes,” said Ronii.
“Are you sure that she is your mother… she acts more like your sister,” Rori said to Arii.
“I’m sure… I was adopted, hence the reason that we don’t look anything alike or act similarly,” said Arii.
“You were adopted? Me too. That’s kind of weird,” said Rori.
“Not really, in California adoption is very common. A lot of people don’t want children but end up with them anyways and there are a lot of people who want children but can’t have them,” said Ronii in a very matter- of – fact way.
“So…. Where are you from? You said you were going to a hotel, are you here on vacation?” asked Arii.
“Honestly… I am not comfortable sharing that information with you… I do not even know anything about you. You could be insane for all I know,” said Rori.
“We’re not insane. Ronii used to work for the adoption agency that used to be next door,” said Arii sweetly.
“Sorry. I don’t trust a lot of people, particularly when they don’t tell me their given names,” said Rori.
“Well you didn’t tell us your given name either… by the way the name is Arista Parthenia,” said Arii.
“Well, isn’t that a nice name? My given name is Aura Halia and I am from Montana,” said Rori.
“Veronica Dare,” said Ronii, “that’s all you get from me.”
“Arista Parthenia and Veronica Dare, nice names” said Rori.
“And Aura Halia….That name sounds familiar,” said Ronii.
“Well maybe I was adopted from the agency that was next door. I don’t know,” said Rori.
“You never know. After lunch I will check the records,” Ronii told Rori.
“Oh Arii, could you go and get the mail?” asked Ronii.
“Sure,” said Arii.
Arii ran into the stained glass door then quickly opened it. As she walked outside she noticed that there was a girl standing on the front steps of the old orphanage. Arii and the girl stared at each other for a while in silence.
“Who are you and why are you here?” Arii said to the girl standing on the porch.
“I am Addi and I was told that I could find a Veronica here.” Said the girl supposedly named Addi.
“Maybe she is, but why are you here to see her?” Arii said to Addi.
“I talked to an individual at the airport and she said that the adoption agency was here. I am looking for my real mother, you see I am adopted and wanted to know who she is. The lady told me to find Veronica,” Addi told Arii
“Why don’t you come inside, Ronii is in there and she is about to make lunch.” Arii said to Addi.
“Wait who is Ronii?” Addi asked Arii.
“She is a serial killer, but I think she took her meds,” Arii said sarcastically to Addi.
Addi looked at Arii, she was absolutely petrified.
“I’m kidding! Ronii is Veronica, and my mother,” said Arii.

“What!?!?!?! Ronii why didn’t you tell me?” screamed Arii.
“Tell you what?” asked Ronii as she walked into the living room where Arii, Addi, and Rori were sitting in a semi circle on the floor surrounded by piles of file folders.
“You knew all this time and you didn’t tell me?” said Arii.
“What are you talking about?” asked Ronii.

Ronii looked around the room again. The files were spread out all over the floor and in the center of the girl’s semi circle was a pale blue note… the note was almost 13 years old. Ronii hadn’t seen the note in 13 years either and she had almost forgotten about it. She knew that the note was the one that was left on the door step of the orphanage when she found Arista, Adonia, and Aura there… and it told her never to let the girls know that they had each other and to destroy the note. At that moment Ronii wished she had listened and destroyed that note, and then she wouldn’t have to deal with this now.
“What’s that?” asked Ronii as she pointed to the letter in the center of the floor.
“I think you know what it is,” said Addi.
“I thought I was never going to see that note again,” said Ronii.
“Well tough luck,” said Rori.
“Why didn’t you tell me? All these years you have been telling me about the orphanage and all these people that wanted to adopt me but you wanted me for yourself, but you didn’t tell me that I have sisters?!?!?!” shrieked Arii.
Ronii was silent. She stared off into space, hoping that Arii, Addi, and Rori would forget about the letter and not realize that they were sisters.
“Hello?” asked Addi.
“I’m sorry. Ok is that what you want to hear? I’m sorry that I kept something from you all these years, but I didn’t think that it would help you any. Your sisters don’t know anything more about your mother and all I know was in that letter. I couldn’t help you, they couldn’t help you,” sobbed Ronii.
“But you didn’t even tell me anything about the letter,” said Arii.
“Stop it!” screamed Rori.
Addi, Arii, and Ronii looked at Rori then continued to argue.
“Just stop it. So what if you were lied to, everyone lies. There is no escaping it. But you don’t need to flip out on your mother because she didn’t tell you something that she was told not to. If you hadn’t met us you wouldn’t have been looking through all the records and you wouldn’t have found the letter. So what difference does it make? You never would have known anything about it and you probably won’t find out anything else...” said Rori.
Thunder crashed above and all of a sudden there was a beautiful woman standing in the room. She was dressed in what looked like an ancient Greek tunic; kind of like what you would see a goddess dresses in, but she was pregnant or she looked pregnant. There was no way to tell.
“Hello Ladies! I’m Dreama wife of Apollo,” said the woman.
Ronii, Addi, Arii, and Rori gazed at her in awe.
“Apollo… like the Greek god?” asked Arii.
“Exactly like the Greek god. I mean he is the Greek god and I am very proud to be his wife,” said Dreama.
“I thought the Greek gods were just myths,” said Addi.
“You shouldn’t say things like that, if they were myths you wouldn’t be here right now,” said Dreama.
“What?” asked Rori.
“Ok so have you ever wondered why you have such strange names… and why weird things happen when you are around?” asked Dreama.
“No,” said Arii.
“Now let’s see. Adonia, when ever you step outside the wind dies down and when you get into the water it moves with you… and Arista have you ever wondered why you are so wild? Fire and Earth don’t really mix now do they? And Aura... animals just can’t seem to leave you alone,” said Dreama.
“What are you talking about?” asked Arii.
“All my life animals have just come to me and they seem to understand me... my horses back home always listen to me and they never try to run away,” said Rori.
“And wind and water always seem to adjust themselves so that I look AMAZING!” said Addi.
“And what about you, Arii?” asked Dreama.
“Don’t act like you know anything about me… I am nothing like you described me and please… since when do fire and Earth not mix,” said Arii.
“Fine, don’t listen to me but I know something about your mother…,” said Dreama.

“Who is my mother?” demanded Arii.
“I will give you three hints,” Dreama told the girls.
“So wait, we are sisters?” exclaimed Rori.
“Took you long enough!’ said Addi half laughing.
“Wow, you must be oblivious!” Arii said while joining Addi in laughing.
“Huh, what is oblivious mean?” asked Rori
“Point made!” Arii said. She could barley be heard through all the laughter.
“And the three hints are?” Addi asked. She wasn’t very patient.
“I see, well number one your mother was born in Delos.” Dreama said.
“Huh and huh?” Rori and Addi said.
‘Number two she is obsessed with the moon and three she wasn’t supposed to have children!” Dreama finished.
“I have no clue!” Addi said very flustered.
“I do, come look at this!” Arii demanded.
Addi and Rori scurried over towards the computer where Arii had open an internet page about the Greek gods.
“Who is our mother?” asked Addi.
“I have an idea, but I think Dreama should tell us…” said Arii.
“Well maybe you should tell them… after all you found it out,” said Dreama.
“Artemis, Goddess of the hunt,” said Arii.
“What?” asked Rori.
“Our mother is Artemis, Goddess of the hunt,” said Arii.

“I’m confused,” said Rori,”How did you figure out who our mother is?”
“The internet if a very useful thing,” said Arii.
“But you can’t always trust everything on the internet,” said Addi.
“But when you are looking up facts about the ancient Greek gods… I think you can trust the information,” said Arii.
“Who cares if you trust the information on the internet… you figured out who your mother was… good for you!” said Dreama.
“How is our mother Artemis she vowed to be a virgin forever? Who would love Artemis and break her vow. Who is our father if Artemis is our mother,” said Addi.
“He is well known… I’ll tell you that, and I alone know who he is,” said Dreama.
“Ok well a lot of people are well known… is he a well known mortal or immortal?” asked Addi.
“Constellation,” stated Dreama.
“What?” inquired Arii.
“Your father is now a well known constellation,” confirmed Dreama.
“A constellation? How is that possible?” asked Addi.
“You are the daughters of ancient myths… how is possible that you are here right now?” questioned Dreama.
“Yeah but…” started Addi.
“You see, nothing is impossible when you set your mind to it. I know that for a fact,” said Dreama.
“Ok so if our father is a constellation… he had to be alive at some time or another, all the constellations were once parts of myths or they were real people. Right?” said Arii.
“Yes… that is what they say…. But the constellations of people are of royals or heroes that were once alive and then Artemis put some of them in the heavens to live forever… but which one is your father?” said Dreama.
“Hercules?” asked Arii.
“No, try again,” said Dreama
“Peruses?” asked Addi.
“No, I’ll give you a clue… he is 'The Hunter’” said Dreama.
“I don’t know,” said Addi.
“Me either,” said Arii.
“Orion,” said Rori.
“What?” asked Addi.
“Orion, the hunter… it makes sense. The legend says that he lost his sight and then regained it and became a hunter for Artemis and when he died she made him a constellation,” said Rori.
“It may make sense but are you right?” asked Addi.
Dreama said nothing; she just stood there staring off into space. Finally she nodded her head.
“Orion was a great friend to both your mother and my husband and it was a great honor when Artemis put him in the heavens,” said Dreama, she was starting to tear up. It seemed like there was a little more than friendship going on between Dreama and Orion.
“It seems like there was more than friendship between you and Orion,” said Arii.
“There was, when I was mortal he and I were married but then I fell in love with Apollo and he fell in love with Artemis, we don’t know why but we were happier with the gods. I married Apollo and he became a hunter for Artemis. But I guess there was more than that… seeing that you three are here. I think it had to be deep love because Artemis vowed never to be in love and have children.” said Dreama.
Lightning crashed up above. Dreama look horrified for a moment but then went back to being herself.
“Zeus says that I have been here too long, I must go back but I leave you with a final thing, Go see the oracle from Delphi,” said Dreama.
Thunder rumbled above and just as quickly as she had come Dreama was gone…

“We HAVE to go see the oracle. Dreama said so herself,” said Addi.
“But we don’t even know who the oracle is, let alone were to find her,” said Arii.
“We can figure it out, Dreama said that we need to see the oracle,” said Addi.
“Why should we trust her though? If you have ever read any hero’s story a god or goddess would always come in and they would try to ruin their lives, they would lead them into traps,” said Arii.
“We can’t just not listen to a goddess, she might get mad and actually ruin our lives,” said Addi.

This argument had been going on for the last hour and a half and it didn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon. Addi and Rori wanted to go see the oracle and listen to Dreama, but Arii and Ronii wanted to stay right where they were and not do anything.
“Dreama was so right…” started Addi.
“About what?” interrupted Arii, “Was she right that I am wild? Yes, but that is no means to trust her.”
“We should do what Dreama said,” said Rori.
“Okay? Now I would listen to Rori, she’s right,” said Addi.
“Okay? Whatever you say… Princess,” said Arii sarcastically.

They had been so busy arguing that they didn’t pay any attention to the doors. As a result when there was a knock on the window, they all jumped. The girls were glaring at each other when Ronii invited the man who had knocked at the window into the house. He was dressed in cowboy boots, a plaid shirt, blue jeans, and a brown cowboy hat. He looked like the stereotypical version of a cowboy in an old western movie. That man was Roy Carters.
“Dad?” asked Rori when she was her father, “What are you doing here?”
“You ran here,” said Roy.
“Wait, this is your father?” asked Addi.
“Yeah, why do you ask?” asked Rori.
“Just wondering,” said Addi.
“Wait, how did you know she was here?” asked Arii.
“I met this guy who said that she was here,” said Roy.
“Did this guy have a name?” asked Arii.
“Yeah, I think it was something like Apollo? I don’t really remember,” said Roy.
“Apollo? Are you sure?” asked Addi.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t catch who you are?” asked Roy.
“I’m Ad,” started Addi.
“It’s not important who we are… Are you sure that his name was Apollo?” interrupted Arii.
“Yeah,” said Roy.
“She said ‘the oracle FROM Delphi,’” said Arii.
“What are you talking about?” asked Rori.
“Dreama, she didn’t say the oracle at Delphi, she said the oracle FROM Delphi,” said Arii.
“Is that supposed to mean something?” asked Addi.


Arii made a shrill sigh and turned to walk into the sunroom. Rori and Addi stood and followed her like she was the leader of their pack. Ronii talked to Roy as Arii explained what she was trying tell Addi and Rori earlier.
“How is he the oracle? The oracle is supposed to be a girl,” said Addi.
“He has always known everything,” said Rori.
“And the oracle at Delphi was Apollo’s oracle,” Arii pointed out.
“But we were supposed to go to see him, why did he come here?” asked Addi.
“Why does anything in the world happen?” asked Arii.
“Why should I know? I’m not the oracle,” said Addi.


Arii, Addi, and Rori were silent for a moment. Then they heard an amazingly horrific scream and then a crash that sounded like breaking glass. The trio rushed toward the screaming and crashing sounds, but they were too late. On the floor was a puddle of blood and in the center of it was Ronii. She was dead. Arii fell to the floor sobbing. Addi tried to comfort her sister, but Arii pulled away.
“Get away from me!” screamed Arii.
She turned towards Roy still sobbing.
“You monster, why would you do this to my mother?” screamed Arii.
“What happened?” asked Addi.
“I was standing there and she was talking to me and she told me that you had figured out who your parents are, and I guess I just flipped,” said Roy.
“But you killed her,” sobbed Arii, but Roy wasn’t there anymore there was a flash of light in his eyes and then in his place was a mummy. The mummy reeked of moldy cheese and sour milk; it had splotches of black hair coming out of the bandages.
“It must be the oracle!” Rori shouted.
“What gave it away?” Said Arii.
“Maybe it was the smell, anybody have an air freshener?” Said Addi.
“You will go south, to find the truth.
Three will go and four will return.
A god’s choice will turn,
And what matters most will burn.” The oracle spoke in a deep, raspy, horrible voice.
“Great who hired the exorcist?” said Arii.
Addi and Rori started cracking up, as they were laughing a man in winged shoes and a tweed suit on, floated down.
“Who are you?” Addi asked. She couldn’t take her eyes off of his shoes.
“I am Hermes; God of travel, thieves, etcetera, etcetera,” Hermes replied.
“And you are here why?” asked Addi.
“I am here to take you to see the gods.” Said Hermes.

When the girls came to their destination, Hermes was no longer with them. They stood in a huge room that had marble floors and a fountain that had liquid gold coming out of it. There were twelve thrones bigger than skyscrapers and each sat a different thing. They looked like humans, but were the size of the Empire State Building. The three sisters were staring at the head throne; it was in the center and was gray with two large, gold thunderbolts.
“Hello!” Addi shouted to all of the thrones.
“Who are you, child?” A friendly booming voice asked. “And who are your parents?” the booming voice finished.
“My name is Adonia Zelena Mellon and my adopted parents are Helen and Troy Mellon, but my real parents are Lady Artemis and Orion, the Hunter.” Addi told the voice.
“Impossible!” An angry male voice boomed and in the background, you could hear thunder and see lightning.
“Now Zeus darling, let them explain!” said a nice female voice.
“Now Hera, stop telling me what to do! They are not my granddaughters; my Artemis would never break her vow!” Zeus boomed.
“You never know.” Hera said.
“Now sweetheart, Artemis, are these your daughters?!” Zeus asked a very pale and very beautiful goddess.
“No father.” Artemis said faintly, but you could tell in her eyes she was lying.
“Then I will kill them!” Zeus bellowed.
“How about giving them a quest?” asked Hermes.
“My boy, a brilliant idea there is a 75% chance of survival and it will be a blast to watch. I will make sure of that.” Zeus said and then there was flash of lightning and smoke filled the room and when the room cleared, Zeus was gone.

“Darlings, we better get you ready for your quest, but first we will need to know your names.” A handsome god asked the girls.
“I’m Aura Halia Carters,” Rori managed though she was very scared.
“Nice to meet you child,” the handsome god said as he shrunk to human size. Then the rest of the gods and goddesses followed.
“Arista Parthenia Dare!” Arii half shouted trying to hold back tears.
“Well someone has an attitude,” said the handsome god.
“Don’t blame her, her mother died today,” said Rori.
“I’m sorry to hear that, Veronica was a fine woman,” said Hera.
“You knew my mother?” Arii asked.
“Of course I did! She handled all the adoptions for the gods. Well we know who you are, but you don’t who we are. Let us introduce ourselves before the quest,” said Hera.
She looked around the room sternly, the other gods and goddess looked scared, and then they started to introduce themselves.
“I am Apollo, God of music, archery, etcetera, etcetera,” said the handsome god who had spoken to them before. He was tall; even when he was in human form; he had grey- blue eyes; just like the girls, and shaggy, surfer looking beach blonde hair.
“I am Athena, Goddess of wisdom and battle strategy,” said a very beautiful brunette. She was shorter than most of the other gods with cherry eyes and the most beautiful smile.
The girls looked around, trying to figure out who the next god or goddess to introduce themselves. Then the most gorgeous goddess in the room stepped forward.
“She has to be Aphrodite,” Arii whispered to Addi.
“Well you’re wrong, I am Artemis, goddess of hunt,” said the woman and then she stepped back into the darkness; she looked almost identical to the trio.
“I am Poseidon,” said an old man, he had stringy shoulder length grey hair and spoke in a deep, raspy voice.
“Well it sure was nice meeting all of you,” said Addi politely.
“Off with you,” said Hera.

Two nymphs came, took the sisters to another room, and got them ready for their quest. The girls did not know what the quest was, but they were happy to be alive. Each one of the nymphs took a girl and there was another girl around the girls’ age named Marina. She was the daughter of Aphrodite and was totally drop dead gorgeous and so sweet. The nymphs were Sonya and Aqua, Sonya took Arii, and Aqua took Rori. Marina took Addi; the girls returned they looked like Greek goddesses. Arii’s wild hair was tamed and she had on a beautiful tan tunic with a ruby belt and rubies in her hair. Rori’s short hair was very curly and had flowers in it; she had on a light pink tunic with a belt of flowers. Addi’s hair was up and she had sapphires in her hair arranged on a headpiece. Addi wore a light blue tunic that faded to white and a silver band around the waist.
“What is all of this for?” Arii asked.
“Hera will tell you.” Marina replied.
“I absolutely love it!” Addi exclaimed as they walked back into the throne room.
“Well girls, you cleaned up nicely,” said Hera, “Gods and Goddesses, we are here to give a quest to these three young maidens, but first we have to let them know who they truly are.”
“What are you talking about?!” Arii asked.
“Calm down sis.” Rori said.
“Yeah take a chill pill, it is not the end of the world.” said Addi.
“Well let’s get to business,” screeched Hera “Arista Parthenia Dare step forward!” Hera commanded, as Arii uneasily stepped forward.
“Bring the elements!” Hera said authoritatively.
Hera stood there waiting for something to happen.
“Now!” screamed Hera.
“You thought there was only four elements… there are six.” Hera said, as Aqua and Sonya retrieved a box within it were six different glowing orbs. The first was bright red and flaming, it was fire. The second was pale blue, had ripples and smelled of salt. The third was just dirt, but had a flower bud on it. The fourth was a small strip of flat land. The fifth was a bunch of clouds. The last was a robin’s egg.
“Now, Arista put your hand over each of the elements, and when it happens you will know.” Hera said
“My name is Arii!” Arii said.
“You insolent child, now go!” Hera said with a lot of attitude.


Arii walked up to the elements that were hovering in a circle in the center of the room. Arii put her hand over the robin’s egg, nothing happened. She moved to the next orb; it was the pale blue one, nothing happened again. Arii was getting mad. Then Arii put her hand over the flaming one, expecting nothing to happen. When the flame grew she was shocked and she was even more shocked when the fire went into her palm. It didn’t hurt her… she liked the feeling; it was like controlling the wild!
“Congratulations Arii! you are fire, but you are also something else so keep going!” Hera said; she sounded amused.


Arii wasn’t sure what that meant, but listened anyway. Arii then put her hand over the clouds, nothing happened. Finally she put her hand over the stretch of land and it started breaking apart. It was a mini earthquake.
“Very well, you are earth and fire!” Hera said, “Now the middle child, oh yes, Adonia if you don’t mind your given name.”
“No, I don’t mind.” Addi said.

Addi went towards the center of the room where Arii was standing with Hera, leaving Rori standing by herself in the corner of the throne room.
“That was a rhetorical question,” said Hera, while Addi walked to the center of the room.
“Oh,” whispered Addi.
“Now, do the same thing your sister did, eventually we will figure you out too,” said Hera.

Addi started with the Earth orb, but nothing happened. She moved on to the plain brown one with a single seed on it, again nothing happened. Slowly she moved to the next orb, it was the pale blue one that smelled like salt, as she put her hand over the orb water started to bubble and as soon as her hand was fully over the orb a spout of water shot strait up to her hand. To Addi’s surprise her hand wasn’t wet when she pulled away.
“Oh good, you are water. No wonder you and Arista are complete opposites,” Hera said as she clapped her hands, suddenly the fire and Earth orbs floated towards Arii; while the water orb came to Addi. All three orbs went into the girls.

Addi went back to finding the next orb, there were only two left now. She didn’t know where to start, she knew that one of them was her other orb. She walked towards the plain white orb. It stirred and shook as Addi grew closer, and suddenly when she was right in front of it, it sent out a huge gust of wind. The other orbs stopped glowing and dropped to the ground; the plain white orb was still hovering, glowing, and producing huge gusts of wind periodically.
“Oh excellent, now for the last child Aura,” said Hera.


Rori slowly walked towards the center where the final orbs were laying on the floor. Hera clapped her hands again and the orbs rose from the ground again and were hovering like before.
“But there are only two, if we have two that mean that she has two, so they have to be hers,” said Addi.
“But I want to see how each orb reacts,” said Hera, “that was the whole point of this, you don’t get to see this often.”
“Are you sure about this? I mean there are only two left what if neither of them are mine?” asked Rori.
“Trust me, they are yours,” said Hera.

Rori walked towards the first orb, it was the robin’s egg. As soon as she put her hand over it the egg cracked and shook, then a little baby robin emerged. No one said anything; Rori moved on to the other orb, it was plain brown with a single flower bud on it. When she put her hand over it nothing happened at first, then the flower started to grow and grow until it was a full grown sunflower that stood the whole way from the floor to the ceiling of the throne room.
“Impressive,” said Hera. “I have never seen the elements react that way!” Hera exclaimed.
“You three are children of the Gods. You girls are not Artemis’s children and no one else will claim you. So a quest will be set to prove yourselves worthy of my approval!” Zeus bellowed.
“Yes Lord Zeus!” Rori answered for her sisters.
“You should make them flee to the underworld and bring back a cup of the River Styx,” Ares suggested.
“Nonsense, have them depart to the underworld and steal back my Persephone,” Demeter said.
“Send them to get the Mirror of Truth,” Athena said calmly.
“Hercules couldn’t even do that,” Aphrodite said as Hera laughed. Zeus shot Hera one of those looks that kill!
“Very well, you will leave tomorrow morning to retrieve the Mirror of Truth. You have five days to fetch it for me… or else!” Zeus hollered and left with one of his over the top exits.
All of the gods except Aphrodite left as well.
“Girls my daughter will show you to your room, but I suggest you leave now.” Aphrodite gave the girls this first-class advice.
Just then Marina entered and whisked the girls away.
“You guys need to get out, if you stay Zeus will see that you never depart and be unsuccessful your quest.” Marina told the sisters.
“We don’t even know how to leave or where the Mirror of Truth is,” Arii said.
“I can transport you, but that is it. I am only the goddess of transportation. I think that my brother Eros can help you with the rest,” Marina said.
“Who is Eros?” Addi asked.
“You mortals call him Cupid, but don’t worry he wears clothes, and is about your age,” Marina said and laughed.

Marina led the girls down a lengthy hallway. Arii thought it was a trap and didn’t want to go, but Addi had made her.
“Where are we going?” asked Arii.
“Don’t make a noise, Zeus might hear us,” Marina said.
“How…” Addi started, but Marina stopped her.

Marina stood there, still keeping Addi quiet. She seemed to be waiting for something to pass up ahead before they continued. Suddenly an obscure figure came out of the dark in the hallway. They all did a hushed scream. The figure stepped into the light; he was tall with sandy blonde hair and pale green eyes.
“Eros, you scared me,” said Marina.
“Sorry Marina, there aren’t a lot of people who come through this hallway, I don’t announce when I come into the hallway,” said Eros.
“Excuse me, but we are still staring I mean standing here!” Arii said half sweet and half mean… like an evil cupcake.
“Yeah sorry, Bro this is Arii, Addi, and Rori. We were just hoping you would tell us about the Mirror of Truth. I know about that special book you always have your nose in,” said Marina.
“What book?” asked Eros, trying to be innocent.
“You know, the one with all the quests, the one you stole off of your father,” said Marina.
“It runs in the family, sis,” said Eros.
“What are you talking about?” asked Addi.
“You see we are both children of Aphrodite, but we have different fathers. His father is Hermes and mine is Ares,” said Marina.
“He is hot!” Arii whispered to Addi, but Eros heard and he chuckled.
“So, the book then!” Addi asked.
“Yes, follow me.” Eros said.

Everyone followed Eros down a very narrow hallway and into a vast room. Eros dug through a solid gold trunk and brought out an old looking book the size of a DVD. Eros opened the book and flipped to a page with a beautiful picture of a mirror. The mirror was different from any other mirror that the girls had ever seen. It had diamonds around the edges and the most beautiful golden handle while ripples of blue went the whole way through the frame.
“Wow, that’s stunning,” said Rori.
“You know it is. The beauty of the mirror was the most talked about thing on Olympus, that was until you came along,” said Eros.
“Why until we came along?” asked Addi.
“Well everyone is talking about the Artemis with children scandal,” said Marina.

The girls stared in silence for a moment; the beauty of the mirror was intoxicating and they couldn’t resist staring at the picture in the book. All of a sudden the wind in the room shifted, the pages of the book flipped and there was a dragon, it was the most hideous thing the girls had ever seen.
“Oh that’s the wrong page, we’ll get to that later,” said Eros.
“So how do we know where to find the mirror?” asked Arii.
“Venezuela, here have the book,” said Eros as he handed the book to Arii. Then he vanished into thin air.
“Ok then I will transport you to Venezuela.” Marina said and then transported the girls.

Venezuela was the most wonderful place. Each of the girls had their own thing that enchanted them, Rori was very taken with the Amazon Rainforest; Addi was very taken with Angel Falls, and Arii was very taken with the guys. Addi kept on talking about Angel Falls and had the urge to swim, but her sisters wanted to find the mirror.
“The first riddle is seraph holds it all in her rivulet.” Rori said.
“What in the world is that?” Arii said.
“Look in the book there is a Venezuelan dictionary,” said Addi.

Rori opened to the back of the book and looked up the words.
“Ok so it means, Angel holds it all in her stream,” said Rori.
“That didn’t help me at all,” said Arii.
“Well let’s break it apart,” said Addi.
“A stream is water, so some kind of water,” said Rori.
“Angel water,” said Arii.
“Angel Falls?” suggested Addi.
“Yeah that could be it, where did you say that was again?” asked Arii.
So the girls headed for Angel Falls. When they got there they saw that it was huge, and Addi’s bright idea was to swim around to find an entrance. So with nothing else to do and no other ideas, they did just that. Addi had a feeling that the entrance was deep below the surface of the water and she knew that the only way to get there was to jump from the top, but she didn’t know how to get to the top. That was until Arii got angry with her and the Earth moved, literally.
“You found a way to the top!” screamed Rori when the Earth moved.

The girls climbed (the movement had made “stairs” to the top of the falls) it was so scorching and exhausting that the girls complained the entire time. That was until Addi created a huge gust of wind that cooled them down. Then Arii complained again, this time Addi shot water at her from her palm. Finally they made it to the top.
“What do we do now genius?” asked Arii.
“We go cliff diving,” said Addi with a crazed expression on her face.
“You’re crazy,” started Rori, but before she could protest any longer Addi grabbed both of their hands and plummeted off the cliff. The girls didn’t get wet nor did they die. When they went back up for a breath (even though they didn’t need to because Addi was supplying all the air) they were in a cavern. The girls got out of the water.

“Where are we?” questioned Rori
“Look at the second riddle.” Addi said.
“It says go to the heart and you will find the truth.” Arii said simply.
“It must mean the center!” Addi said.
“Or the heart!” Rori screamed as she pointed to a vastly huge dragon. It was so big that you couldn’t even see the back end of it.

Suddenly the dragon charged at the girls, Addi tried to keep it off with water and air but it wasn’t enough and the other girls didn’t know how to use their powers, so they thought. The dragon turned around (finally you could see the back end of it) and hit Arii in the face with his tail, leaving two streaks of blood running down her face, she got angry. The Earth shook and fire erupted from the cracks in the cavern wall. The dragon wasn’t dead but it did make some impact. The dragon swooped down and swatted at Arii but ended up grabbing Addi instead. Addi pleated for help, and her sister Rori came to help. Suddenly the dragon collapsed, piranhas were biting at his feet, and Addi swam as fast as she could away from the dragon and rejoined her sisters. She and Arii joined hands and at the same time shot fire and water at him from their hands, this created steam that filled the cavern, and then Rori shot vines at him and tied him tightly to the cavern floor. The girls had defeated the dragon. When the steam cleared there was a sword on the ground by their feet, Addi bent down and picked up, and then she hurled it at the dragon’s heart. It made a nice, clean cut in his chest and his heart fell out. His heart was the size of a school bus, but it was black.
“Ewwwwwwwwwwww,” said Rori.
Addi gagged. Arii ran up to the heart and removed the sword, then cut it open. Out fell the Mirror of Truth, but that’s not all. There was a man inside his heart; he had brown hair that looked like it hadn’t been washed in hundreds of years. The man stepped out of the heart.
“Who are you?” asked Arii.
“I am Orion, the hunter,” said the man.
“Daddy!” screamed Addi.

Marina came and took the four of them back to Olympus. They arrived in the throne room. Zeus was shocked to see them alive and to see Orion.
“Give me the Mirror of Truth,” bellowed Zeus.
Rori walked towards Zeus with the mirror in her hand. Zeus held out his hand, instantly the mirror flew into his hand. He looked into it and saw Orion and Artemis kissing under the pale moonlight. Then it flickered to an image of Artemis holding three babies with the same necklaces as Addi, Rori, and Arii.
“I guess it’s true, Artemis I’ll deal with you later,” said Zeus.
“So I guess you defeated my son, Cuddles,” said Poseidon.
“That thing was your son?” asked Addi.
“More importantly, that thing was named Cuddles?” asked Arii.
“Girls, that doesn’t matter, come to mother,” said Artemis.
They all rushed up and hugged their mother. Orion was still trying to fix his unruly appearance when Artemis noticed him.
“Orion! My love it has been so long,” said Artemis.
Artemis ran over to him and embraced him and gave him a nice, gentle kiss.
“Whoa,” said Addi.
“Get a room,” said Arii.
“My daughters, you are so beautiful and look so much like your lovely mother,” said Orion lovingly.
Then Rori was tapped on her shoulder. She turned around there stood there most enchanting man she had ever seen. He asked her to dance.
“But there is no music,” said Rori.
Apollo snapped his fingers and music started up. In his other hand was a small bundle in a blue blanket. Next to him was Dreama she was holding a pink blanket. Addi rushed over, Dreama wasn’t pregnant anymore! She had twins named Apolline and Arsen. Addi got to hold both of them because Arii and Rori were dancing with hot guys. Rori was dancing with Anteros. Arii was dancing with Eros.
“What happened?” Eros asked Arii about her scars.
“Oh it was nothing, just an encounter with a malicious dragon,” said Arii.
Eros kissed her on the cheek where her scars were and they melted away into love.
“You’re nice,” said Anteros to Rori.
“Well you’re nicer,” said Rori.
“You’re good-looking too,” said Anteros.
“You’re better looking,” said Rori.
“Well you’re a better dancer,” said Anteros and he kissed her.
“Girls it is time to go home!” said Zeus.
“Ok Bye Pappy!” Addi said cheerfully.

Arii and Addi weren’t the greatest friends but they were the best of sisters. Addi even invited Rori and Arii to stay with her and her adopted parents. They accepted and moved in; each had their own room and view. One day the girls were in the yard when Addi’s next door number and crush came by.

“Hey.” Addi managed to say.

“I am glad to see you back, and I was thinking we could hang out sometime.” Addi’s hot next door neighbor Alexander said.

“I would like that!” Addi said blushing.

“Are you coming?” Arii questioned.

“Coming sis” Addi said “I guess I have to go.” Addi told Alexander.

“Yeah.” Alexander said and kissed Addi!

Artemis and Orion got married and Addi, Rori and Arii where the maidens of honor. The girls got to see there parents anytime they wanted along with the rest of the gods and goddesses. That was excellent because Arii was going steady with Eros and Rori was smitten with Anteros. Addi on the other hand was very happy to be dating Alexander her crush since she first saw him. The sisters didn’t have anymore trouble with the gods, infact they were getting together this Sunday to play pool and they lived happily ever after!



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 3 comments.


on Jul. 22 2011 at 12:12 pm
Iridescent_Lilly BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
I have many, but my top favorite (at the moment) is;
"Fairytales do not tell children that Dragons exist. Children already know that Dragons exist; Fairytales tell children that Dragons can be killed."
-G.K. Chesterson

I really like it so far (Chapter 6), but please be careful about your overlaps. In chapter 5, the conversation between Addi and Arii is different then in chapter 6, but is in the same time frame. Anothe thing, if you could switch Chapter 5 & 6 it would make more sense, since Rorii came before Addi.

Like I said, I really like this story, and I am excited to finish it. :)


on Jun. 7 2011 at 3:54 pm
PaintingTheRosesRed BRONZE, Newark, New Jersey
2 articles 1 photo 7 comments
I agree. And also some things seemed a little unlikely. Like Hercules couldn't find the mirror but the girls found it in an hour. Otherwise it was pretty good but i think you could go a lot farther.

on May. 25 2011 at 11:43 am
Angelnight16 BRONZE, Heuvelton, New York
1 article 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"i used to be normal... until i met those people who i now call my friends."

i like the idea and all, but i think you should slow down the pace of the story