Struck: A Book of The Veil | Teen Ink

Struck: A Book of The Veil

By Amaranthina, Gravenhurst, Other
Amaranthina, Gravenhurst, Other

'the pen is the tongue of the mind'

I was born with a curse, with the ability to see beyond the Veil between realms. From the age of four or five I realized I was able to see Fae of all kinds. The bone-white faces of Vampires, the bright ones belonging to the Faeries and the pearly black eyes and hairy features of the Lycanthropes. Secrecy became a part of my life.
If I were to look for one second too long at their brusque or beautiful faces any one of them would kill me. They feel no sympathy, no mercy; like a hurricane, destroying everything and leaving nothing but devastation in its wake.

Sitting on my bed, I listened to the sounds of an oncoming storm. I cracked the window an inch, breathing in the scents of fresh rain on grass. A crack of lightning illuminated the window and looking through the water streaked glass, I counted to three before thunder shook the pane. The blackness of the late hour returned, reflecting the soft glow of my grandmother’s jade necklace against my pale chest. Another dagger of lightning made me start and erased every trace of my reflection, leaving me alone.

A soft knock on my door announced the arrival of my mother, but of course she didn’t wait for my reply before waltzing in. “Hale?”

“You’re early.”
She was still in her nursing uniform. Her long dark hair was piled on top of her head, a few stray pieces dangling down to kiss her shoulders. I’ve been told I’m the spittin’ image of my Mother, but aside from our long dark hair and wide eyes, I don’t quite see the resemblance.

“I asked to leave early tonight.”

I rubbed my tired eyes, thankful I had remembered to remove my coloured contacts. Until I was born, violet eyes were hereditary in the family, along with the Sight, which only the first born was cursed with. But of course I had to be the anomaly, an outsider even among the outsiders. Luckily my mother’s eyes can almost pass for a deep blue, so hardly anyone notices the strange color, but I am forced into wearing coloured contacts. My eyes change colour... frequently. My irises are like mood rings, switching shades according to my emotions. I wear deep brown contacts because they’re the only ones that cover my range of chameleon colours, from silver to black and everything in between.

I sighed, "I wish Nana was here.” I couldn’t help the constant reminder the storms gave me of my Nana, how that stubborn old woman loved the rain.

Narrowly avoiding my comment, my mother tried to cheer me up, “I’m on my way up, meet you there?”
She smiled because she already knew my answer. Every thunderstorm we sat up on the roof under the awning and watched the sky until the storm subsided. It had become a sort of tradition since my Nana’s passing. Now it was only my mother and I, alone in our Sight, sworn to secrecy, only able to confide in each other.
Most seventeen-year-olds I knew hated their parents or ignored them. Even imagining having that sort of relationship with my mother seemed wrong. We had an understanding, a kind of deal. She wouldn’t interfere in my life if I didn’t dig into hers. As long as my grades were halfway decent and I stayed out of situations that would put me in danger, we would trust each other. This way we never had any reason to lie to one another.

“I’ll get some hot drinks.” I hopped down off the window’s ledge and started towards the kitchen, catching the harsh scent of antiseptic that was eternally fused into my mother’s scent.

“See you in a minute,” she said.
Our house was small, but we didn’t need a big house. My father left when I was two, when Mom finally decided to relinquish our secret to him. She kept a photo album filled with pictures of us as a ‘happy family’ somewhere in her room. Every time I asked about him, my only response was, ‘he was a good man and I’m sure he’s happy living his life somewhere.’

Tracing the banner of floral wallpaper going down the stairs and through the hallway, I felt eyes on me. I turned around smiling, expecting my mom to have followed, but no one was there.

“Mom..?” I whispered, thinking she had ducked into the bathroom around the corner, but when no answer came I found myself tip-toeing down the hall on the suddenly chilled linoleum tiles.
Taking out the tea kettle, I plugged it in and grabbed two mugs. Blindly, I reached for the tea can and dropped two bags into the mugs, fastening the strings to the handles out of habit.
Popping some Smokey Bacon chips in my mouth, I sighed noticing the bag was almost empty. I’d have to put them on the grocery list. Resting my back against the counter, I waited as the kettle began to heat.
Above a cluttered table was a group of pictures of me when I was smaller, and a few of the drawings I had done in grade school were framed among them. I smirked at the one I drew of my mom holding my hand in our front yard when we lived in Quebec. Every kid drew one like it, except for the missing father, the addition of Nana and the dark haired Faerie peeking from behind the branches of a willow.

A sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach alerted me to the fact that I was being watched. My senses piqued and a shiver rolled up my spine. I spun holding the metal tea spoon like a tiny weapon. My eyes darted all around, but I had a feeling whoever was watching was not there because eyes burned holes in the back of my skull.
I turned from my leaning stance on the counter, clutching the edge for support. I kept my head down, my heart racing. Nervously bringing my head up to the window above, I prepared myself for the face of a monster, but there was nothing, only rain and the riot of thunder in the darkness.
Letting go of the breath I’d been holding, I freed my iron grip from the countertop and closed my eyes. Gulping down deep breaths, I slowly began to relax. A loud crack broke through my calm front and I flinched, opening my eyes with a start to see that the kettle’s switch had popped up. I almost laughed at my paranoia.
I stumbled over to unplug the kettle, but something was there that hadn’t been before, something small and round, bound in leaves and twine. I paused, and then unplugged it, ignoring the item within a finger’s reach. My eyes jerked around the kitchen, lingering on the hallway and furtively falling back to the parcel. One of them was in my house. The hair on the back of my neck pricked.
Quickly and carelessly, I filled the mugs with shaking fingers.
I tried to ignore it. Maybe to a normal person it would be a spoon or a cup cake or maybe it wouldn’t really be there at all. I still wasn’t very good at seeing the illusions. A cold sweat began to break out over my body as I picked up the drinks, not permitting myself so much as a sideways glance at the mysterious object. Whoever put it there could still be watching.
I held the mugs as steady as I could, still spilling some sweet tea here and there. I cringed as a scalding droplet fell on my bare foot, but disregarded the burn, too afraid to stop walking. I couldn’t seem to stop my eyes from shifting in all directions as walking farther down our narrow hallway. It felt as though the floral wallpaper was closing in and it became a challenge to stay upright. I was used to them coming and going, seeing them right in my back yard or across the street, but none ever dared to enter my house, not once, not ever. For the first time I found myself wondering why.
The attic door loomed, a beacon of safety. Shakily, I set one mug on the floor and reached for the door. A shiver slid through me as my fingers closed around the freezing handle. Gasping, I jerked back, my throat closing in fear. The mug was gone. My heart roared in my ears. I stared in horror at the leafy object I’d left on the kitchen counter. I stumbled back, whimpering, my lips pressed together in the vague hope of preventing my hyperventilation from drawing attention.
Straightening up, I turned back to the wooden door of the attic and the stairs that would take me to my mother.
There he waited. Standing perfectly still with menacing jade eyes that were too bright, too unnatural. His perfectly tan and angular face, illuminated by the stairwell lamp was slightly hidden behind a shroud of choppy caramel hair. A pair of nearly unnoticeable pointed ears pushed their way through. If I hadn’t known what to look for I never would have spotted them.
I ripped my eyes away, slamming the attic door. He was following me, every instinct within me screamed at the deathly silence surrounding me. My fingers clenched the mug as I ran but still the hot tea was sloshing my skin as I bolted back to my bedroom, tripping over my own unsteady feet as I went.
A faint crackle of lightning in the distance and the roar of thunder sounded as I pounded up the stairs. My heart in my throat I spun on my heel, searching the shadows behind me. With fear clogging my throat I darted into my bedroom and kicked the door shut only to stagger backwards with a muffled scream. A chill trickled over me and my mouth went dry, the trap was set atop my pillow, the leaves unfurling.
I gasped, my chest tightening at the sound of the lock engaging on my bedroom door.
My legs trembled as I allowed the facts to sink in, I was trapped and I wasn’t alone. Rough translation: I was as good as dead. Struggling to breathe against the oppressive weight on my chest, I gripped the mug until my knuckles turned white. I couldn’t turn around, I couldn’t move.
“Hailey!”
No! Startled by the sudden reminder mother was still in the house, the mug slipped from my cold grasp, shattering on the floor. Mother’s echoed steps were coming faster down the hallway now. The remainder of the tea burned the edges of my feet, but I didn’t budge. There was no conceivable way that she hadn’t heard the mug shatter into tiny pieces. What would I say if she tried to get in?
I spun around, coming face to face with the creature. He was so near I could smell his thick earthy scent, moist dirt and mown grass, could almost taste it on my tongue. Falling back a step, my eyes darted around the room, trying to find something, anything that would help me escape.
Looking through the man in my room as if he wasn’t there, I screamed, “Mom! Stop…” but his calloused hand slapped onto my face, choking off my attempt to warn her. I looked into his angry eyes and he glared into mine. I drew in a sharp breath, sucking in cool, clean air when he let go. My relief was short-lived as he snatched up both my wrists, a smirk pulling at one corner of his mouth. The floor broke free from under us and we fell, my stomach dropping. A pounding on my locked door was the last thing I heard before darkness enveloped us.
I tried to rip my hands away from him as we fell, but his grip tightened with every jerk I gave. Any tighter and I was sure my wrists would snap. Dizziness made my vision blur but I was determined not to pass out, I didn’t understand what was happening, but it was as if we were dropping straight through the earth.
Amid the inky shadows the only thing I could see were his jade eyes. They didn’t as much as blink and I couldn’t seem to shift my gaze from them.
The darkness never completely abated, but within seconds the moon and stars appeared below us and we dropped through the clouds. I shivered as we sank through the icy tendrils, desperately whipping my head around searching for some sign of hope but all I could see was the tree speckled earth rushing up to meet us. My heart racing, my palms sweaty, I met my assailants stare. “Please,” I begged him, barely recognizing my own strangled voice. His jaw clenched in response and I knew there would be no mercy, not for someone like me. A sob tore out of my chest, death had come for me and there was nothing I could do but close my eyes and wait.

Chapter 2: Evasion
We hit the ground with an impact that rattled my teeth and sent daggers of pain shooting through the heels of my feet. He released me and I collapsed onto the ground, gasping for the air that escaped my lungs during the drop and inhaling dirt. Had I screamed? I couldn’t remember.
Blinking to refocus my eyes I realized I was facing away from him on my hands and knees. I knew instantly that home was nowhere near. Where were we? I didn’t know. All I cared about was putting distance between me and the thing standing silently behind. Panic welled, pushing me to escape. Sprinting toward the forest, my legs feeling like cinderblocks, pain ripped into my chin as I collided with a hard, invisible barrier. My body lurched backwards, ripples fanning out along the surface as I landed hard on my back, the air knocked from my lungs.
My hands locked in fists as I struggled to breathe, to summon the strength I would need to live through this. My head throbbing, I dragged my legs in to my chest, turning to see the creature that had caged me like some rogue animal. Meeting his calculating gaze, terror clawed at my throat, urging me to flee, to get back to mom. We needed each other. Thoughts of my mother alone in our small house settled like a weight on my mind. No. these monsters wouldn’t destroy us.
“Are you hurt?” He knelt beside me in the same second I tried to stand. He grabbed my shoulder, shocking me back into fight mode. I pushed him away, shaking. A few quick, faltering steps backwards brought me little more than space, certainly no time to devise some semblance of a plan. I swiftly scanned my surroundings and could feel the stillness in the air and just barely see the dome I was trapped inside.
“Stay away from me!” I shouted, feeling a sting in my bottom lip.
Gently probing the area with my tongue, I winced at the pain and grimacing at the thick, rusty taste of blood. It dribbled down my chin and I wiped at it with the back of my hand, crimson painted on my pale skin. Well, at least I know he’s not a vampire or I would be dead already. The scent of blood is a gravitational pull to their kind, irresistible.
He appeared in front of me, a pale strand of hair drifted over the bridge of his nose as he reached for my face. Could I have been wrong about what he is?
Balling my blood-stained hand into a fist, I struck out, mustering all the strength I could. Faster than I’d ever be, he was already several steps away before I could so much as graze him. Damn his inhuman speed!
“I won’t hurt you.” His voice was the voice of an angel, but more like the devil in disguise. He kept looking at me as if he knew me, had a right to kidnap me in the middle of the night, it made me sick.
His long trench coat drifted open and I glimpsed the shiny hilt of a sword holstered in a scabbard on his hip, at least two daggers hanging on the other side of his belt. A bow with full quiver of arrows hung with sickening ease from his shoulders. I couldn’t fathom how he expected me to believe he didn’t mean any harm when he was ready for war.
“You’re one of them and I’m a human who has the Sight,” I waved a hand at my eyes, sure he would have noticed the colour changes. It was the first time I had relinquished my secret out loud and it just narrowly escaped my lips. I prayed he’d find a hint of bravery in my words.
He looked surprised at my sudden confidence, raising a brow, “You can choose to believe me, but I know I can’t convince you.”
“No you can’t. If you don’t want to hurt me then what do you want? Who are you?”
He closed the space between us in two long strides. The wall pressing into my back prevented my escape, leaving us too close for comfort. He stayed one step away from me, apparently noticing the fear behind my mask.
“My name is Tobias. I am of the Elven Fae.” He offered his hand, dropping it after a few seconds, as if sensing I wasn’t going to touch him. Instead I focused on finding the common Faerie traits- I knew little of the Elven Fae, only what Nana had told me, but they were more obvious now that I was looking. The ethereal brightness of his angled eyes, elongated ears and the towering length of his body put him over a foot taller than my five foot, six inches.
A flash of disappointment darkened his features for moment before he pushed it aside. “You are in a part of the forest protected by my folk in Peru.”
Peru!? I shook my head, biting on my already wounded lip, trying to let it sink in that I was a million miles from home, stuck in an invisible bubble with no way back except the way I came.

“If you really don’t want to hurt me, why bring me to the centre of the Peruvian jungle?” I side stepped him, inwardly counting my footfalls.

He shrugged, “This way you can’t escape, there is nowhere for you to go. I don’t want you finding a way out and running off.”

As much as I tried not to, I flinched. “Yeah, because that really puts my mind as ease…”

“I meant...I’m sorry, I-.” Tobias flushed, raking a fist through his already tousled hair.
“Take me home.” Instead of a demand, the words came out weak, almost whiney. My chin began to shake, signalling the tears to come, but I held them back. “If you don’t want to hurt me or leave me here, then take me home.”
“Once I have your name I will take you home.” He smiled, and for a second it looked like a human smile, as if he was truly curious, but Nana’s warnings rang loud in my ears. This was how they did it, how they tricked innocent humans and lured them in. I wouldn’t let myself fall victim to his false facade.
I also knew something he may have thought I didn’t. I knew that once a creature of the Veil makes an oath or a promise, he must go through with it or The Furies would take his life. I saw it happen once as a child and had nightmares for countless months after.
More confident knowing he would have to take me home as soon as I uttered my name, I delved for more information. “You’re insane! Why? What could you possibly want my name for?”
He crossed his arms over his chest, his gaze never leaving my face, “I’ve been watching over you your whole life. All I wanted all those years was to meet you so I wouldn’t have to hide any more. I promised I would never make myself known to you, but now I think you’re in danger and it’s my purpose to protect you. I only wanted you to give me your name freely, but of course I already know it.”
A ripping feeling inside of me vibrated down to my very core for a part of me knew he was serious, but the other half, the sensible half, gave me a thousand reasons not to believe him. The ones of the Veil weren’t allowed to do such things. I was almost certain something like this would be treason, an act punishable by death or worse. Ignoring what he said about watching me my entire life, I thought about how I often got the feeling of being watched, but I assumed as any person might, that it was perfectly normal and maybe I was being paranoid. After all I had more reason to be than anyone.
“Why is it your purpose to protect me?” I played along, still walking, him turning and repositioning his stance, making me edgy.
He exhaled, running his tan fingers through his hair again. “You are the twenty-fourth in your family line with the Sight.”
“Okay,” I allowed. I didn’t know how far back the curse went.
He spoke quickly, impatience tightening his voice, “There is what many would call a myth, and it says the twenty-fourth in the line cursed by Falkoi would be-”
I scowled, “My name is Hailey.” I told him, I couldn’t listen to his nonsense any longer, I nearly began to laugh. “I don’t care what your myth says. You said once you had my name you would take me home.”
I didn’t have to pretend to be brave any more, I was growing more and more impatient every second, my mother had probably torn apart the house looking for me. Possibly making a deal with the devil himself to get me back home safely and here I was chatting it up with the enemy, who apparently wasn’t an enemy at all.
“Of course, I always keep my word.”
Because you have to, “Sure.”
I stood there for a moment looking around, feeling awkward. I felt his stare and when I looked at him he was on the verge of bursting into hysterics, his eyes squinting and his lips pursed. I looked away stupidly, impatiently waiting to fall into nothingness or for a magical choo-choo train to randomly pull up and take me home. I chewed the good side of my lip, nervous.
“Hailey, you must be touching me for me to be able to return you to your home.” I could hear the laughter in his voice in spite of the serious expression on his face. “Of all humans I thought you would have learned a little more about our basic travel methods.”
“Well actually, if you didn’t already know, I spent most of my time ignoring your kind to avoid the death part of my life.” I nodded once, unable to verbally tell him that it was okay for him to touch me, when it went against every lesson I was ever taught.
He took one step closer and held out his hand. I wanted to trust him, wanted to believe that I would be safe at home in seconds, but doubt overshadowed my optimism. I could no longer see the silver lining. I didn’t have a choice, either I died there, alone in the forest, or let him touch me.
Sighing in utter defeat, I held my hand out, cringing when he grabbed hold of it. A golden glow shot out from our secured hands, disappearing just as quickly as it appeared, making me question whether I had seen it at all.
I looked up at Tobias, unsure of whether I should let go. He looked shocked for a moment before a confident mask settled over his face.
A crunching sound a few feet away stole my attention from Tobias and I found myself jumping away from the noise, closer to him.
A man leaned against a tree just outside the dome. He looked of the same species as Tobias, wearing almost identical body armour and clothing, but in much bolder shades. His eyes were a fiery golden glow, framed by a mane-like tangle of long black hair. He frightened me, and what was worse, he frightened Tobias. I felt his hand tighten around mine.
“I’ll be seeing you again...Hailey.” The man’s voice was a resonant, husky whisper and drifted through the air until it echoed inside my head. His eyes flickered from mine to Tobias’, reading us like open books.
Tobias stared down the other elf with a look of pure, savage hatred, even disgust. He drew his sword and held it out in front of me. I struggled to let go of his hand but he only held on tighter. An uneasy feeling spread through me, Instinct warned me I couldn’t trust the dark man, but the hand in mine wasn’t trustworthy either. My stomach twisted as they endured each others’ venomous stares for an immeasurable time, conveying messages without speech. By the relaxed, leaning stance of the other man and the smirk playing about his lips I would almost say he was taunting Tobias, come and get me if you dare, he seemed to say.
Before I could ask him what was happening, we were falling. Butterflies broke free in my stomach and I latched onto his hand tighter, balling my other into a fist.