Number 72 | Teen Ink

Number 72

March 10, 2011
By Oorah_Alchemist, bluffton, South Carolina
More by this author
Oorah_Alchemist, Bluffton, South Carolina
0 articles 6 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
Standing between us and evil.He'll defend to the very last shell.Carnage all around but still unflinching gun blazing as he fell.The brave soldier once at Heavens gate Yells out."One more soldier reporting sir,and I believe I've served enough time in hell.


Author's note: I was bored in Language Arts class and this idea just popped inside my head. Comment if you like :)

Flying. I was flying? My back faced the ground as I stared at this new sky. Not quite red not quite purple. My mess of a hair shrouding my face. I've been flying for awhile now. No, not flying... falling? At first I hit panic as they dropped me off the SS-Cruiser, but after about 30 minutes of calmly falling to my doom I relaxed. Decided to take in the last thing I would probably ever see. Yay me. The air changed around me. I felt my body flip as my face was staring at the much closer than I would like ground. I let out a quick blood curdling scream I was out cold... or dead cold?
---------------

I was dead right? I'd fallen from so high up I couldn't have possibly survived. I was in heaven or wherever your soul went when you died , but why did I feel a searing pain in the left side of my body. If I was in heaven I thought you wouldn't feel pain? I thought you were supposed to be happy in Heaven. This pain didn't make me happy.

"Hey! Hey! Wake up!" A distant voice called.

So I wasn't dead? Or was that my subconscious?

"Am I Dead?" I moaned.

"No. Just in the way." the voice replied.

At this statement my body seemed to wake up. My eyes flipped open and my side sent a jolt of pain up that caused me to scream. Before I could let it out there was a hand on my mouth.

"Hey! Shut your mouth! Geez. We aren't alone here you know." Hissed the girl. It was a girl. The voice was.

"My leg." I whispered when she let go of my mouth.

"Yeah. It's busted up pretty bad. I did all that I could. It will take time to heal. You'll probably have to sleep in a tree for awhile and stay off the ground. The other Numbers can't really climb."

"Numbers?"

" I'll explain later. Right now we need to get you in a secure place. Come on." She threw her arm over me shoulders and helped me stand.

"Think you can limp on it?"

"Yeah."

"So. What did you do to get yourself in so much trouble you got tossed onto Sei?"

"Sei? What is that? I haven't done anything wrong!"

"Sei is the beast of a place I live on. Obviously hun, you did something really wrong or you wouldn't be here."

"What did you do?"

"Heard things I shouldn't have heard. Government didn't like it that much so I got sent to this piece of paradise." The girl motioned to the deep jungle surroundings with her arms.



"By the way. I'm Kate. Soon you'll meet Craven. He's just e dream." Kate snarked sarcastically.



"Do you not like Craven?"



"Oh no! Don't get me wrong! I love the guy like a brother. Just.. it's hard to explain. You'll see what I'm talking about when you meet him." Kate rolled her cat green eyes. She had long orange hair in a ponytail and a trail of freckles over her nose. She was maybe 5'6 and muscular. Not skinny like me, muscular. I'm not talking like a body builder, but maybe like a female soldier?

"I suppose." I shrugged.

"So what's your name?"

"Oh... uhm... I can't remember..." I admitted diligently.

"You can't remember your own name? You're kidding right?" Kate choked out.

"Look. I'm surprised I'm even alive. So be happy I can remember how to speak."

"Oh lucky me."

At this comment I sat down bringing her with me. She huffed in anoyance.

"Alright Miss Jane Doe. We don't have time for your little games. A Number could be watching and you aren't exactly in fighting condition and I don't do well with protecting more than just myself. So I suggest you get off your spoiled ass and move along." Kate snapped her green eyes glowing.

I had officially had enough. I was lost, hungry, and confused and Kate was not helping. "Not until you explain to me what a Number is. Why do we need to fight. You are speaking in riddles that I need answers too. I don't know who you are. I could be your next freaking meal. So answers NOW."

"You're not exactly in the demanding position sweet cakes."

I glowered at her not moving. I crossed my arms in protest.

"Oh yeah real mature. I promise I will explain everything when we get to camp. You've already brought enough attention with your temper tantrum you've been throwing. So it's move out now or die. Which sounds more appealing to you?"

I did not have the slightest clue why this chick was all up at arms. Hasn't she ever heard of a chill pill? There was a slight movement in the bushes and Kate's whole body went rigged.

"Great. Way to go kiddo." she said pulling out a huge safari knife.

I screamed bloody Mary. She was about to kill me. Seriously just slit my throat. Kate turned her furious glowering eyes at me.

"Shut your mouth or I'll do it for you!" she hissed.

"You are going to kill me and you want me to shut my mouth? Are you dumb or both!?" I screeched.

"You are paranoid chick. I don't want to kill you." she whispered in warning.

Me? Paranoid? She was the one going on about Numbers and the government. The bushes moved again and a little girl came through them. She looked about five with cute pigtails and a pretty summer dress. She smiled and waved at me rocking back and forth on her feet.

"Are you alright miss?" she asked completely ignoring Kate with the blood soaked safari knife.

"Uh.. well actually I hurt my leg. Do you live in a city nearby? Somewhere I could get this looked at?" I dared to glance at my leg. I had deffinatly broken it. The bone wasn't sticking out of my flesh but it mine as well have. It was a few trips and stumbles away from popping out. My gag reflex started and my stomach screamed in protest. I took a couple of deep breaths, but the sweat and wrought smell of the jungle wasn't helping.

"Don't talk to her. Trust me." Kate said flipping the knife and circling the girl.

"Kate! What are you doing? She is just a girl!" I screamed as Kate lunged at the innocent child. The girl turned on her heal quickly and pulled out a butterfly knife from no where. Her sweet and calming face not so long ago turned to a snarl. The girl slashed Kate in the arm.

"Son of a bitch!" she screamed when she had landed on her feet. She looked at the girl like she wanted to pop her on the side of the head.

"What the hell?! Where did that even come from?" she yelled in rage.

The girl just gave her a cold smirk and charged Kate. I stared in horror as the seemingly sweet girl attacked Kate and took attempts at her life. Kate dodged the girl just before she landed another blow. She wrapped her long sun kissed arm around the girls neck and held her in a lock. Using her other free arm she took a gun from her leg strap and fired into the girls head. I screamed and felt my stomach up chuck. That was it. First the leg and now watching a little girl die. I threw up anything I had eaten before I was thrown on this hell hole.

"That was a Number." heaved Kate like she had just ran a mile. She bent over and looked on the back of the number.

"Number 32 to be exact." She pulled out a journal and scribbled something in it. I stared in horror again. It seemed like the appropriate thing to do at the time.

"I really am not in the mood to do that again so can we go. She cut me pretty bad and Craven needs to get it wrapped."

I nodded despite the scene I had just witnessed I realized if this Craven person could wrap her arm he could do something with her leg. Kate leaned over to help me up. I flinched away from her. I used a nearby tree to help myself up. She shrugged off the motion.

"Suit yourself."
-----------------------------------

"Home sweet home." Kate sighed as we approached a tree fortress. There was houses and bridges and vine swings hanging from the trees. Busy bodies ran through the bridges and talking rustled through all of the houses. Homemade lanterns where stuck in the trees left and right. It looked like a clan of elves village, like a fantasy sketch.

"It's gorgeous." I let slip from my ajar mouth.

"Close your mouth. You'll catch yourself something bigger than a fly with it that wide open." Kate laughed.

I shut my mouth instantly.

"Stay here while I go get Craven. It's best you not walk on that sorrow excuse for a leg since you no longer have to." Kate smiled.

"Oh thanks Kate. You're the best!" I forced a grin n my face.

Kate rolled her eyes and laughed as she climbed up a tree. The grace she held while she did it was amazing. Kate was loaded with swords and guns and daggers in an almost translucent satin dress and she managed to shimmy herself up a tree looking amazing on the way up.

"She's a pro trust me." said someone behind her. She turned quickly to see a man in armor. It looked like the Greeks armor. He had a huge sword hanging off his side.

"I saw a new face and I thought I would introduce myself. The names Craven." He let a breath taking side smile slip. His orange eyes glowed with his red and orange hair. It was like he was a giant flame melting her heart.

"Oh.. uh... I'm here with Kate." I said so I wouldn't sound stupid for forgetting my name. Of all things it had to be my name.

"I figured. She brings in stranglers all the time. People that need our help. Speaking of do you know where she is headed?" he asked throwing a glance up the tree.

"She said she was looking for someone... their named sounded like a raven or..."

"That would be me. She probably ran into a Number. You look like you've been through worst though. Leg?"

"I was dropped from the SS cruiser."

"The SS? Never mind. Can I take a look?"

I hesitated. He may be cute but that doesn't mean she could trust him.

"Well..."

"I know difficult to trust me. I was a healer before I came here. I can fix you up in a second split. Then you can stand up and then I can learn your no doubt beautiful name." I blushed a little. I wanted nothing more than to have this leg healed and a cute healer didn't hurt. I motioned like it was okay and pulled up my already torn skirt so he could look. He grimaced and shook his head making a tsk noise.

"How long did you have to walk on this?"

"It seemed like a freaking eternity." I stopped myself realizing how silly I must sound using the word freaking. He nodded and set his hand on my leg. They felt warm and strong. Heat spread up my leg and left my toes with a tingling sensation. With the heat spread the pain left my leg quickly. I smiled in relief when it was completely gone.

"You are a miracle worker! Thank you so much." I exclaimed.

"Now payment. Your payment is to tell me what Kate did to herself this time."

"Well... she was fighting this little girl..number 33? no 32. She cut her arm with some sort of crazy ass knife." I said trying to remember what the little girls faced look like. She couldn't remember no matter how hard she tried though. It was like all the memories had been erased. Craven gave an exasperated sigh.

"She is always doing that. Well thank you..err name?"

Oh no. Here it came. The embarrassment curse that ran in my family. When we were embarrassed our hole face lit up like a blow torch.

"Oh come now it can't be that embarrassing."

"It's not that.. it's..."

"Oh I see. The fall made you lose memory? and you don't remember do you?"

"No...well yes.. that is the case... I don't remember." I hid my face behind my matted brunette hair.

"Do you mind if I give you a name then?" he asked casually like this isn't the first time he had done it.

"Sure." I cheered up at the thought. A new name. So I would remember it at least.

"How about Junia. It is the month of Junia here. The month of battle and forge. An awful time to land here, but it is also the time when things here are the most beautiful. The flowers and trees are in full bloom. The rivers sun clear. The birds sing and the night is full. Sound good?" he questioned raising his eyebrow.

"Yes. It sounds perfect." and it did. Junia was unique. She had never heard it before and it sounded graceful in a way.

Craven fixed Kate up like it was nothing. There was a light glow and Kate's possibly fatal wound turned into a scar. For the night I was to stay at Kate's because I hadn't built my house yet. I had no clue how I was supposed to do that and I was not looking forward to it. They said it only usually takes about a day or two, but these people where experienced. It would take me about a year or two. By then they would have been so fed up with her she would be sleeping in a tree... well a less populated tree. "So I hear Craven gave you a name. Junia was it?" Kate asked back turned to her as she cooked some mystery stew. "Oh yes. I like it. It's pretty." I said enthusiastically. "So when you drooled when you first met him did you wipe it up on time or did he see it?" Kate teased. "Huh? Oh! Oh he isn't that hot. I mean yeah he's HOT but you know he isn't H-O-T. Get what I'm saying?" I was lying out my teeth. This guy was as hot as hell itself. "Not one bit but I'm glad you aren't as swooned as the others. It gets annoying. Girls always asking me if he is single or if he has a santé." Kate whisked frustrated at the boiling stew "A santé?" I leaned the wooden chair back. "A mate. You know someone you do under the full moon. Do the dirty with." Kate turned with an evil grin. My face caught on fire. I knew exactly what she was talking about. I hated these conversation. When my mom tried to have the conversation with me I plugged my ears and started singing. It just never caught my interest. Actually it caught my interest enough to where I was embarrassed every time someone brought it up. "Oh. I get it." I looked away and pretended to examine the nice tree hut. It had a fire place and the tree sprouted up right in the middle of it all. It had abput three rooms. Two bedrooms with their own bathrooms and a jointed kitchen/living room area. It was nice, small, and cozy. Kate took the pot away from the fireplace and poured some soup into my wooden bowl. It smelled delicious but looked like muddy water. "Yummy." I commented. She sent me a scorching glare. "You don't like it starve." she threatened. I gave her a toothy grin and took a big swig. It was actually pretty good. I took another grateful mouthful of the mystery stew and smiled at the appreciative warmth spreading through her stomach. "You know you're actually a good cook." "You say that as if you were surprised." Kate said slightly annoyed. "Not one bit. I was expecting greatness from you Kate." "Damn straight you where." -------------------------------------- I awoke to Kate splashing a cold bucket of water in my face. I screeched as the cold reached my lungs. "Morning sunshine. Time to take a bath. You smell like something that came out of a wolves re-rend." she smirked. "Thanks Kate. Love the warming good morning." "Knew you would." she pulled me out from underneath the wool blanket. "Here you can have these." She said tossing me a ripped red skirt that grazed my butt and a top that was like a bathing suit top but it to was red cloth. Along with it she threw armor plating that would hold it in place. "What am I going to be the local whore?!" I said staring at the clothing with disgust. "One some girls don't even where nothing. They like the whole Adam and eve thing and secondly with you working on that house today you'll be glad you are wearing barely anything." "Oh... uh thanks?" I said unsure whether or not she was going to let me keep the clothing after today's events. As if she read my mind... "You can keep those. After today you are ganna nasty it up with your sweat. It's all yours." "Thanks Kate. I feel cool." "We bathe in the stream. Craven will show you where it is. I have to hunt." "Hunt for what?" "Numbers." "What do you eat them... oh gawd! Was that in the stew last night! That little girl!" "No! I'm not a cannibal. There is a reward for it dumb sh**. How do you think we have so many supplies here. You turn in the numbers weapon in this portal thing and then they send supplies or some so you can buy supplies. Either way we are chalk full of em. But more can never hurt." Kate slide her safari knife under her silk dressing. "If you can't figure that out ask Craven." she said motioning at me with the cloth, as if it was normal to change in front of a guy. "Uh how bout no. My parts are for my eyes only. I'll figure it out." "Alright. Fine with me. See ya." She said and jumped out of the tree. -------------------------- I slipped on the top to my 'clothing'. It was soft and comfortable. I picked up the metal armor and shrieked. A number plain as day was etched into my under arm. It said 72. It looked like someone had branded me. What if Kate tried to kill me? I hurriedly put on the rest of the outfit. How I figured it out was a mystery to me. I was scared sh**-less. The way Kate took out that girl was ten times more skilled than I had ever been. It didn't matter that I was good at archery. Without a bow and some arrows I was certified f*ed. I walked out of the cabin and awkwardly climbed down the tree falling on my butt as my foot slipped towards the end. Fantastic. "Hey there Junia. I know you've never built a house. So I figured you would need help. Need any?" asked Craven causing me to jump about ten feet into the air. "What?! Oh! Craven ha-ha yeah. That would be nice thanks." I said trying my best to not focus on the death toning number 72 pressed on my arm. "Great. Now. Have you ever picked up a tool in your life?" he asked with a grin. "Yes, I used to work on bikes not bicycles but like motorbikes." I sounded to nervous. Craven would probably take it as I was nervous around him, but honestly he was the least of my worries. "Are you okay?" he asked reaching for my branded arm. I moved quickly. Did he know? No, he was just trying to comfort me and human contact was the first thing a human does when they are trying to comfort someone. "Huh? Oh yeah. Great." I played a smile on my face. "Look, if you don't want me to help you that's fine." Craven said a little offended. "No! No that's not it. I need your help trust me." I laid it on thick. I wanted him to think I was nervous around him. "Then what is wrong?" "Just scared about the task ahead." I motioned to say shall we begin? Craven sent me one last you are crazy look and he pulled out some plans. We worked all day. Every once and awhile I would throw a glance around to check if Kate was 'home' yet. When the house was finished I realized it was the same layout as Kate's. "Thanks Craven. I don't know what I would do without you." I smiled. "Oh, I've been meaning to ask you. Have you found your number?" he asked casually. My heart jumped to my throat. "How'd you know!" I whispered scared out of my mind. "Everyone has one Junia. Is that why you've been so jumpy?" he held in a snicker for my dignity. "Well I thought Kate... with the girl... and the reward..." I played with my fingers and bit my lip. "Kate isn't going to kill you Junia. If anything she wants to train you." Craven laughed."You are one strange girl." I didn't even hear his last comment. I was so glad to hear those KATE ISN'T GOING TO KILL YOU line. "Again, what would I do without you." I sighed with relief. He was to busy laughing to notice. "What's so funny?" Kate's familiar face rang out. "I found my number." I smiled pointing to it. "And she thought you were going to kill her like number 32." Craven sputtered out between laughs. Kate rolled her eyes. "Ignore him. So number 72 huh? I'm 16 and Craven is 69 go figure." Kate sighed and rolled her eyes. I was to relieved to even hear any words being spoken. I was not going to die today. I inwardly phewed myself and cracked a smile and started laughing.

It was late and I laid in the bed of my newly crafted house. How Craven through this up in a matter of hours was truly inspirational. I glanced out the window. The trees blocked the night sky. There were no stars, but instead looked like shimmering clouds of different colors. From what I had seen this planet was truly beautiful. Kate took me through a Q&A today. She asked if I specialized in a fighting technique. My answer I took karate class in fifth grade? She then proceeded in shouting profanity into the air. It had been about two weeks and I had grown accustomed to Kate's sailor mouth. Craven took over while she stormed away in frustration. I am to be trained for ranger practice or archery whatever he said. It sounded dull to me. I wasn't exactly psyched for it. So I sat here in my bed pouting cause I didn't get something cool like Cravens. He was a magesword or a swagemaster... sword mage! I rolled over and tucked myself under the cotton blanket.
---------------------------

I was sound asleep when this happened. Apparently they where testing my reaction skills and I failed, because they snuck into my house, tied me up, dragged me down the tree kicking and screaming, and then proceeded to drown test me. By them and they I mean Kate and Craven...mostly Kate. What was drown testing you ask? It was when they held your face under water so you can be prepared to be drowned. Who was prepared to be drowned!

"STOP KATE! I GET IT! DROWNING IS A NO NO!" I screamed when she pulled my head out of the ice cold water. She dunked my head again and I swear the water began boiling along with my blood.

"Why did you do that!" I screeched.

"Oh that one? That one was for fun." Kate teased. She threw some dry 'clothing' at me. This time it was black cloth. Not too shabby. I was getting used to the barely any clothes thing. It reached possibly a 101 each day here and the light cloth helped me cool down.

"Uhm Craven..." Just cause I was getting used to the cloth didn't mean I changed infront of guys.

"Oh yes. I'm sorry. Excuse me." He bowed and left.

"Perfect gentleman. Makes me puke." Kate commented.

"Makes you puke! You just drug me out of my warm bed at god knows what hours of the night and the lick of nice I got was his gentleman like self and it makes you puke!" my temper flared. Kate just shrugged.

"Why do you have such a nasty attitude Kate?"Kate glared at me.

"Maybe because of people like you Junia."

"Okay fine. Whatever." I pulled on the new top and fastened the metal clippings.

"Everything all clear?" called Craven.

"Yes, you can come back over here." I hollered. Kate walked away and headed back to the village.

"What's her issue?" Craven asked as she grazed shoulders with me.

"You need to work on your hearing Craven." I smirked.

"Oh I need to work on my hearing? I recall you not hearing me sneak into your house." he teased. I just shot him a look.

"Explain." I said motioning to my surroundings.

"This is the beginning of Rangers training." he let a broad grin play on his face.

"Then I am not interested." his smile instantly dropped.

"But why?"

"Craven I just got dragged from my bed, out of my house ,screaming my thought raw, and dumped in ice cold water all in under 20 minutes. I repeat I AM NOT INTERESTED."

"That was just to test if you can hear in your sleep."

"That was a little extreme don't you think?"

"Not the slightest. That could have been anybody. Be glad it was me and Kate and not a Number."

The foggy memory of Kate slaying the... was it a girl or boy? rang in my head. I needed a way to protect myself and I suppose this was a first class ticket.

"Look, I know you don't want this but honestly you are the only one here that can shoot an arrow." Craven admitted.

"How do you even know I can do that...that's creepy.." I felt a chill run up my spine.

"I don't stalk you Junia if that's what you're thinking. It's the way you move your arms. It's a dead giveaway." Craven rolled his red eyes.

"Oh..psshhhh I knew that..." Junia said rubbing the back of her neck uncomfortably. Craven handed her the bow.

"Here, How's it feel to have something familiar in your hands?" he said raising his eyebrow. My hands shook with anticipation. I knew how to use this thing like it was the back of my hand. I motioned for an arrow and Craven placed one in my petite hand. I laced it and stretched back. The target? It was the middle of the tree. I let it loose and the arrow soared and smacked right on spot. I looked at Craven who gave an approving grin.

"Alright. I'll agree. Only one condition though... what is that around your neck?" I questioned glancing at two metal slats hanging on a chain.

"Oh these? Actually... I'm not sure. They were actually around your neck well more like in your hair. I had to get them loose. I was going to ask you but I forgot. Sorry." He handed them back to me. I rolled them in my hand. They clanked against each other. On it was engraved a name.
Misraow
Chace
66453
O Positive
Catholic
On the other one was a prayer:

The soldier stood and faced his God Which must always come to pass...
He hoped his shoes were shining Just as brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, you soldier, How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek? To My Church have you been true?"
The soldier squared his shoulders and Said, "No, Lord, I guess I ain't...
Because those of us who carry guns Can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays And at times my talk was tough,
And sometimes I've been violent, Because the streets are awfully tough.
But, I never took a penny That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime When the bills got just too steep,
And I never passed a cry for help, Though at times I shook with fear,
And sometimes, God forgive me, I've wept unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place Among the people here...
They never wanted me around Except to calm their fears.
If you've a place for me here, Lord, It needn't be so grand,
I never expected or had too much, But if you don't, I'll understand."
There was a silence all around the throne Where the saints had often trod...
As the soldier waited quietly, For the judgment of his God,
"Step forward now you soldier,
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."


"Who is Misraow?" I questioned

"Beats me. They were around your neck."Craven shrugged. I glared at them a bit. They looked like the words had been almost punched in by a machine of some sort.

"You keep looking at those things like that and you will burn a hole through it." Craven teased. I ignored his comment and continued to stare hard at the necklace. Was this a piece of my past? I had forgotten everything except how I had gotten here when I landed on Sei. This was a clue. Did this Chace person come with me? Was he alive? I put them around my neck and listened to them jingle.

"Well ready to begin?" Craven asked. I shook my head.

"Not quite yet... who is Misraow..." I mumbled to myself.

"Wait a deal is a deal Junia." Craven protested.

"Yes yes I know, but this is my past Craven. You know the one I can't seem to recall. Yeah that." I snapped and pulled them out from under my shirt again to look at them.

"Well be curious some other time. Now, you learn." Craven said taking hold of my arm and pulling me back. I sighed and gave in. I suppose he was right. A deal was a deal.

"Now Rangers are to be unseen. You're not even supposed to know they are there. Well not until you are dying at least. They commonly crowd themselves in shadows or cloaks that blend into the forestry."

"Like camouflage?" I asked not paying attention.

"Like what?" Craven asked. I realized I didn't know what camouflage was.

"Uh never mind. Ignore me. This strange necklace has my mind in other places."

"We'll pull it back down to Sei. We need to practice." Craven said aggravated.

"Yes. I know I'm sorry. Relax." I tucked the necklace in and tried to keep my mind focused. We practiced for hours. The day soon turned to night. My hands pulsed and were soar from all the tugging and pulling of the bow. Craven's voice was cracked from all the yelling and his hand was bloodied from trying to show me how to do my talent.

"With all the frustration that came with today. I must say you did well." Craven smiled. His eyes glimmered with the stars. I let my eyes slide over his body. Nice and shapely. I quickly snapped them to his face which made my heart beat faster. I dared not to let him know how I felt. Mainly because he hated all the drooling girls and Kate would probably slit my throat if she knew.

"What?" Craven asked. I realized I was staring to intently. I blushed and looked away glad it was night. He would have caught the blushing. It was as red as the sun.. his eyes.

"Nothing sorry. Just thought I saw a lighting bug."

"A what?" Craven asked confused. Again I had no clue what I was saying.

"Ignore me. Sorry." Craven stopped walking up the hill.

"What is going on? You've been doing that all day. Ever since we found these metal pieces." I turned toward Craven.

"I'm not sure. I think it's my memory? It keeps coming back through flashes I don't even realize." I patted his shoulder apologetically.

"Yeah okay." He said and brushed me off. That wasn't very Craven like. He was usually stocked up with manners and gentlemanly things. I stared in shock. What was I supposed to do? Keep my mouth shut and shun myself from the village.

"What is your problem Mr. Moody?" I said hands on my hips.

"We'll let us see. You Junia. You find this stupid necklace contraption and you can't even pay attention. It's hard enough to get you to look at me!" He yelled his strong voice echoed. What did that mean? He was trying to get my attention.

"What? What are you going on about?" I sighed letting my hands droop to my side. I wanted to grab the necklace but this would deffinatly be a bad time.

"Never mind. I swear all you girls are the same. Clueless." Craven sighed and kept walking.

"I am nothing like the girls in the village! I don't sit and stare at you carrying a bucket so I don't drool on myself like the rest of the girls! I help us survive! I give you your much earned space! So sorry for not crawling all over you! What little Craven not used to a girl not wanting to feel him up?" I screamed. I wasn't anything like those girls back in the village. Infact I did everything in my power not to be like them.

"Just drop it Junia! I said Never Mind!" He yelled right back. My shoulders slumped and I didn't reply. It's like I couldn't. I first had been yelled at by Kate and now Craven. The two people I cared about. Craven noticed how my body reacted in the light of the cloud stars.

"I didn't mean to..." he began.

"No, no, you are right. Sorry." I walked on ahead. Craven sighed but didn't say anything. He just lightly mumbled under his breath. I was to hurt to pay attention to what he was saying or I was interested. I felt like a puppy who had just been chewed out by his boy. Craven reached for my shoulder but let his hand fall before he touched me. He could tell I didn't want to be touched by him or anyone for that matter.

I twirled the weird necklace in my fingers. Who was this guy? Was he my brother, fiancé, boyfriend, best friend? I felt a pang of guilt. If he was my boyfriend I shouldn't make googly eyes at Craven when he isn't looking... or Kate isn't looking. I walked over to where I had a make shift tub. I grabbed the heated water from over the fire and poured it in. I slipped into the bath letting my muscles relax. Still my mind didn't. This necklace wasn't going to let me get any sleep was it?
----------------------

"Now look. You stretch your arm back as far as you can." Craven said once again.

"I'm stretching! I don't have as long arms as you do!" I exclaimed as Craven tried pulling my bent arm further back. "Ow! Cut it out! That's as far as I can humanly go!"

"Then let's get inhuman. The further back your arms go the further your shot will be."

"Well it looks like I'm a close range type of person Craven! That hurts! You are going to break something!" I screeched. Then pop, my shoulder dislocated. I grunted and dropped my arrow.

"What? It was finally far enough to shoot longer ranges."

"Yes, far enough to pop my shoulder out! Help me get this thing back in." I motioned towards my limp arm.

"No, this could be good. Try to pick up your bow and arrows." Craven pleaded.

"Craven I can't work my arm. I'll just have to stretch. Be more flexible. Now please help. This hurts A LOT!" I exclaimed tears squinting in my eyes from the pain. Craven went to go help me with my arm, but his eyes caught the necklace.

"Why are you wearing that?" he asked raising an accusing eyebrow.

"It has sentimental value. Now please help."

"Liar. You don't even know who that guy is." He was getting aggravated. I could hear it in his tone.

"Craven my arm is the main focus."

"Well I switched it. The necklace. Why does it fascinate you so?" he questioned gritting his teeth.

"I promise to tell you if you help me with my arm Craven." I pleaded. He then noticed the pain sprawled across my face. He sauntered over and popped it back in place as I stifled a scream

"There all better. Now the necklace."

" I'm training right now aren't I?" I questioned. He narrowed his eyes.

"We are taking a break. The necklace." he said shortly.

"Great. Let me go get us a lunch." I dodged the question.

"Not a lunch break Junia. Why does the necklace catch your eye?" he was losing his well mannered temper.

"Why does it matter to you?" I said turning on my heel. He caught my arm.

"Junia. You made a promise." he mentioned. I rolled my eyes.

"So I suppose you wouldn't of helped me?" I sighed smirking at him.

"NO! WHY DO YOU LIKE THE NECKLACE!?" there it was his temper snapped like a twig.

"It's not a necklace. They are dog tags."I said without stopping myself.

"What are dog tags?!" Craven said in exasperation. I again did not know, but I wasn't about to tell him that.

"This necklace." I said short and sweet. I saw Cravens face flash red and quickly return to normal. I picked up my bow and stretched as far as I could and shot. It landed right on the haystack 4 miles away. I smiled broadly. Craven shook his head.

"I am done for the day." he said and he started to walk away.

"You are so moody. Worst then a girl." I let slither out of my mouth. At this he stopped abruptly and turned. He advanced towards me. He grabbed me by the shoulders and got right in my face so I could feel his hot breath.

"At least I don't fantasize about guys I don't even know Junia. I'm not in love with a necklace name." I saw his red eyes flame.

"Craven.. put me down. Now." I demanded calmly. Even though on the inside I was shaking. This guy could snap me in half. "Calm down." I protested. Craven's grip tightened. "You are hurting me Craven. Put me down. This instant." I said strongly. He let his grip go and I fell to the ground. I pulled myself up and looked at him.

"Well, aren't you cool." I said and walked away. I could tell that my flesh was already bruising from his tight grip. The circulation in my arms returned. I rubbed them to return warmth.
----------------

Kate, Craven, and I sat at the wooden dinner table and blew on our freshly brewed soup. Mystery soup again. Kate glanced up sharply and stared at my arms.

"What happened to your arms?" Kate questioned confused. "Did you run into a number?" I thought quickly on my feet.

"I'm not sure. I just now this guy had a tight grip he was yelling in some language. He dropped me and ran away. It was so weird." I glanced over at Craven who seemed to hide his face beneath his fiery red hair.

"That is weird..." Kate said drifting off into thought. She started mumbling to herself and left the dinner table. Her soup was going to get cold again. There was an awkward silence at the wooden table. Craven looked at my fierce glare.

"I didn't mean to hurt you Junia..." He whispered.

"I know." I said shortly. I got up and grabbed Kate's bowl. She wasn't coming back to the dinner table tonight. She was too busy wondering in her mind about the pretend man I made up to save Craven's good name.

"Thank you..." He mumbled.

"For what? Lying to my best friend? You are welcome." I said curtly. The words cut him and I could see it.

"Can I see them.. the bruises?" he asked standing up with his bowl. Why he wanted to see them I'm not quite sure.

"Okay..." I wasn't sure what he wanted to do. "Can you cure them?" I asked quickly. That was what he wanted to do.

"Yes, but I won't. I made a mistake Junia and those are my everyday warnings of how fragile you really are." He said gently. He touched my arm.


"Well that's fine and dandy, but they hurt Craven. I would like for you to heal them. Then I will forgive you." I pursed my lips. Craven looked a little broken but he nodded. I felt a warm tingle and my arms were returned back to normal. "Thanks." I said smiling.

"You are so quick to forgive Junia." He said and dumped his bowl in the sink. He walked out of the tree home. I stared after him. He was so emotional.

I slid down the side of my home tree and started on my search for Craven. If I was going to do this training thing I was going to be persistent. I stopped a red head. She was bound to know were Craven was. She was one of his main groupies. Instead of flames there were flowers. Beautiful.

"Have you seen Craven?" I asked. She gave me a nasty glare.

"What for? You know he is mine right? I've seen you to sneaking away from the village." She quickly pulled her pretty little face in a snarl like motion.

"Relax. He has just been training me so..."

"Training you for what? Your story isn't checking out." She barked.

"You know what. Never mind. Sorry I asked." I let go of her arm and rolled my eyes. Girls were so territorial here. Kate walked up behind me snickering.

"What did you do to Ariel?" she was bursting at the seams.

"I mistakenly asked her where Craven was." I sighed shaking my head.

"He's down by the lake with Porcia." Porcia was yet another groupie with long, black, thick hair and golden eyes.

"Oh well I'll get him later then." Really in my mind I was thinking. I've been training log enough to do it on my own.

"Don't do something stupid Junia." Kate sighed. It's like she could read my mind.

"I forgot to ask. Can you read minds or something?" I said pulling up my own long hair into a ponytail. Satisfied with the form of it I let my hands fall.

"No, I just know that look because I give it Craven all the time." I giggled a bit and promised her I would do nothing stupid. Training wasn't stupid, because practice makes perfect. That was my thought process. I waved goodbye to Kate as she sauntered down to the bathing hall. Which was really just a waterfall. I 'showered' at night so no-one would see me. The light in the sky hit my eyes perfectly as to where it was making them water. Heading back to my tree I tried my best to block out the sun. This was no good. I wouldn't be able to practice on our usual practicing hill with all this heat up in my face. As I grabbed my bow and arrows the perfect place popped in my head. Right beneath two almost symmetrical trees was this shaded arena. Trees here weren't your everyday trees. No, they were huge. Like red wood trees. So two trees could cover a football field... what was a football field? I shook the thought from my head. Point was it was huge, shaded, and perfect.
---------------------
Craven P.O.V
Porcia picked up a lilac flower and placed it in her ear. I knew what she wanted from me, but I wasn't in the mood for Porcia or any of the fan girls. She gave me a blinding smile and I about puked. It was so fake. How bothersome. I sighed with annoyance.

"Porcia, you do look lovely today, but My dear I am quite busy." I said gently moving her away from me. Her smile faded and oh here were the over dramatic tears. What had I seen in this girl?

"Wha .. What? You don't want me?" They teetered at the rim of her thick eyelashes. I could have said no Porcia not really, but I didn't want to. I refuse to be rude to females. They have other men for that. Especially in this village. It's either get in the kitchen or rub my feet.

"Shh.. Porcia you misunderstand me. I have a pupil I must be training right now." I let my hands wipe the 'tears' that had fallen from her eyes.

"It's that Junia girl isn't it?! I knew there was something between you two! Always sneaking off after sunset, always smiling and joking with her, and the hugs and the poking." Now here were the real tears. She thought I had been cheating on her with Junia?

"What are you speaking of Porcia?" I asked my eyebrows scrunching together.

"You like her don't you Craven..." Porcia sobbed. Why couldn't she be more graceful with her tears, more appealing. Instead her face puffs up like a red cherry. Junia's were always calm tears. Like the day I... hurt her. I don't think she realized but she cried. I had felt awful, but her tears fell with such grace I would never understand. Why? Because I was used to tears like Porcia's.

"Porcia... That is not the case. She is merely a student." I tried to calm her with my voice. It didn't work. She began to cry more hysterically. Why couldn't she collect herself and remain calm. Like Junia. She is always strong. Like when I first met her, leg was torn open and not a single tear escaped her or a single gasp. It was simple. She had hurt herself and she needed it healed. Now Porcia sits here crying like a child because of a few words. Junia never let words hurt her. Or let me see that they did at least. Did Porcia not have that own self respect?

"You're lying Craven. I didn't know you lied like the rest." Her tears began to dry up and she was hiccupping and sniffling. Her once beautiful Indian shaped eyes were all red and inflamed from the salty tears. Was I? No, I don't lie to ladies. I treat them with respect.

"Porcia, my lo--" Why couldn't I say it. The simple words. My love? I did love her, used to love her... right? So why couldn't I let the words fall from my mouth. They were stuck to my dry tongue. It was because I cannot lie to a lady. That's why the words would not leave my mouth.

"I knew it. Just leave me alone Craven. Go find your misty eyed beauty. She is probably calling for you anyways." The guilt I would feel if I left was unbearable. So I stayed.

"Now. Porcia dear. Why would I go see her when I have a gorgeous lady right in front of me?" That was the truth. Porcia was very pretty, but was she breathtaking? No, Junia was? right? She was. With her black hair and green eyes. Her long slender limbs with underlying muscle. Her perfect hourglass shape. Her petite framed face. Like a doll. Her rosy red lips. Porcia's smile instantly returned. Simple words meant everything to females.

"Oh really?" She said giving me a smile and raising her brows. Those brows were nothing like Junia's thin ones. I smiled and nodded.
-------------------

I have a problem. I admit it. All I could think about was Junia. Even when I was with my santé. It's like she had waltzed in and decided she wanted to put up camp in my brain. Had I ever thought about Porcia like this? No, never. This thought sent shivers up my back. I was awful. The one thing I always fought against to be in my mind. A womanizer, someone who played woman until a new chew toy rattled on in. Junia wasn't a toy though. She was much more. She was strong and fierce, proud and determined. When I spoke to her those eyes of emerald would steal me away. I hit myself slightly upside my head to stop my thought process. I was not going to fall for Junia. That would be dumb and reckless. She was to free spirited and could be snatched away by any man. I wasn't going to set myself up for failure. I was safe in Porcia's arms. Those sleek tan arms of hers. Junia's arms were pale like porcelain and so shockingly beautiful. Again, I gave myself another tap. I needed to occupy myself. I picked up my sword and went through the motions of casting a spell without muttering the enchanting words. Then I saw her. She was leaving with her bow and arrows. Junia walked right into the forest, right past our training spot, and she was going alone. She was so dumb! It was dangerous out there. I slid my sword back in its sheath and went to search for Kate. She would know why she was going all alone.
---------------

"Kate, can you explain to me why Junia just wondered into the forest... ALONE!" I cornered Kate letting anger touch my breath.

"She did what?!" It sounded like Kate let a little more anger out. She dropped all of her firewood and began storming into the woods.

"Kate..." I began.

"WHAT!?" She yelled. Fire dancing in her eyes.

"You might need your weapons." I suggested pointing towards her home.

"Oh yeah huh..." she quickly went to receive her weapons while I started after Junia.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 3 comments.


Alfee said...
on Jun. 16 2011 at 11:32 am
Alfee, Hastings, Michigan
0 articles 8 photos 6 comments
Great story :) many grammar/spelling errors, but they're overlook-able. PLEASE continue? :D

on Mar. 22 2011 at 3:38 pm
Oorah_Alchemist, Bluffton, South Carolina
0 articles 6 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
Standing between us and evil.He'll defend to the very last shell.Carnage all around but still unflinching gun blazing as he fell.The brave soldier once at Heavens gate Yells out."One more soldier reporting sir,and I believe I've served enough time in hell.

Thanks :D I'll deffinatly fix up those mistakes. Thank you for reading/ commenting too. I appreciate the tips too. ;D

on Mar. 22 2011 at 2:56 pm
Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York
33 articles 3 photos 310 comments

Favorite Quote:
Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

















TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

i cant believe no one gave you even a snip of a comment on this story!! :O

i don't mean to be overcritical, or anything like that, but i spotted MANY spelling and grammar mistakes throughout the story. And you didn't paragraph your chapters (until chapter 3--------And I'm proud of you for that) I'm not trying to be snobby about it, but I'm suggesting that if you fix these mistakes, the story will be less confusing.

CHAPTER 4 WAS PERFECT. Paragraphed, and i only spotted 1 tiny spelling mistake which i just waved off. It was also interesting. That Craven sure is some guy.............

BUT THIS STORY HAS SO MUCH POTENTIAL. You whisked me away to another planet and i actually enjoyed my visit. Just make the chapters more clear and paragraph the first 2 and "number 72" will sparkle like gold. The necklace part was definately interesting too................

And people have gotta comment on this novel, it's SOO worth commenting on!!