Love Bites | Teen Ink

Love Bites

By CWells_521 DIAMOND, Greene, New York
CWells_521 DIAMOND, Greene, New York

The best things in life are unseen, that's why you close your eyes when you kiss, cry, or dream.
What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

More chapters will be coming soon!

I never expected to live a long life. When I think about life, I think about death. Every new life will eventually be a death. That's how I came to be who I am. I know that everyone will die someday so I figures I would at least do something that was worth doing, even if it meant dying in the process. I never figured that what I chose to do, would be getting myself involved with the undead. I never believed there were beings, creatures that never dies. The thought just never entered my mind. And becoming part of their world never entered my mind either.

I believed in other things though. Like high school. There are strange people in my school, especially in my class, the twelfth grade, people are not normal. To other people, I am one of them. It's only because I keep to myself. I do what I want with an exception of listening to the teachers. The way I see it, if I was a teacher, I'd get really mad if kids didn't listen to me. They're here to do their job and I don't intend on making it harder for them. The real problem is, that I don't tend to be friendly with the other students. I'm a senior and I really don't have any good friends. I mostly observe. There are many people that I don't understand. Strange people in my world.

For example, the populars. It's like they run the school and to be one you have to get accepted and invited. I was invited to join their group a few times. Mostly because they said I was pretty. I said no. I don't know how anyone could be happy looking at themselves through a mirror all day and talking about boys or make-up. It's useless and boring. It's not like they actually wanted to be my friend anyway. They only "like" people who look up to their standards, Which apparently looks like me.

I have dark brown hair with blonde highlights through the front. It hangs down pin straight past my shoulders. My skin is pale. People say my skin is pure like a white rose. My eyes are a bright green. I line them with dark, black eyeliner, solid black mascara and sparkly silver eye shadow. Then i faintly outline it all with a green eyeliner. My lips are a pale pink but never chapped and my teeth are almost perfectly straight and white. I'm all natural.

I really don't think complexion matters. I put make-up on because I like it, not to look good. People have no right to judge others. And that's what being popular is so that's why they're hard to understand.

Evan Saint and his brother Levi Saint were also hard to get. They never talked to anyone but themselves and their sisters, Claire and Madison Saint. I can never understand why, though. It's not like they can't get friends, I mean, their sisters' have friends. The Saint family is a fairy-tale family. Jason and Holly are the parents. They're basically millionaires. The four beautiful children are Evan, Levi, Claire, and Madison. They are all rich, gorgeous and looked up to. The Saint family looked like they belonged to an art museum. They mostly kept to themselves, but were the head of the gossip.

Jason Folt was also strange in his own way. He was adorable but he didn't speak. It was as if he hated every person and living thing on the Earth. He was as gorgeous as the Saint family but he was more mysterious. When he looked at people it was as if he could hear what they were thinking. But the strangest part about him was that he always seemed to be holding his breath. Like he doesn't want to breathe or smell the air. He had good features though, like his silvery eyes that were always sparkling and his muscular but pale body. He had moved here two years ago and as I watch him each year, he never changes, never seems to be moving forward.

The bell rang for lunch, interrupting my thoughts and everyone hurried out. I swung my books off my desk to follow when my English teacher called my name. "Beth Hanson."

I backed up to his desk and curiously asked, "Yes, Mr. Carry?"

He picked up a piece of paper from his desk and handed it to me. "Your free writing assignment was outstanding. Best in the class, as normal." His smile was suffocating me and I could smell the toothpaste he used this morning sticking to his tongue. "I really believe that you could have a career in writing. When the colleges come to talk to your class, there is a special writing academy coming. Maybe you'll look into it," he inquired.

"Thanks Mr. Carry. I'll think about it."

I rushed out of his room before he could say anymore. I already knew I was good at writing. I didn't need him telling me that. I had many notebooks filled with my writing. I kept them at home in a secret space like they were my buried treasure. Nobody but me touched them.

When I got to the lunchroom, I got a plain salad with Ranch dressing. I ate in silence at an abandoned table. I had two more boring classes, history and calculus, before the day was over. It was Friday and tonight I was going to see the new movie, Until Death Do Us Part. I got up to dump my empty tray in the trash, then sat and waited for the bell to ring and send me to history.
****

After history I went to calculus and finally the last bell of the day rang. I went to my locker and retrieved my bag, notebooks, and jacket. Even though it was late spring, St.Paul, Minnesota was still a little cold and rainy.

I locked my locker and went outside into the chilled air, The sent of newly growing flowers filled my lungs. I lived only a couple blocks away from the school, so most of the time I walked, like today. When I got home, I tossed my stuff on my bedroom floor and went to the bathroom to take a shower.

The steaming shower felt nice and I didn't want to get out but when I did, it was 4:30P.M. I picked out a faded pair of blue jeans from Hollister, a yellow tank from Hollister, and horizontally thick striped, black and white, sweater from Abercrombie. My parents had a lot of money so this is where most of my clothes were from.

The doorbell rang. I rushed down the staires with no idea who it was. I answered the door to a boy carrying a box of pizza. "Can I help you?" I asked.

"Uh...yeah. This pizza is for Beth Hanson."

"That's me, but I didn't order a pizza," I said shaking my head.

"It's from Mr. and Mrs. Hanson." he said, looking nervously past me into my large home.

"Okay, I guess I'll take it then. How much do I owe you?"

He looked down at a piece of paper than handed her the pizza quickly and started walking away. "Nothing. It's been taken care of."

"Thanks." I rolled my eyes and slammed the door shut, sliding the pizza box onto the counter.

I took out a slice of cheese pizza and took a bite. Cheese strung between it and my mouth like a suspension bridge. As I ate it, I grabbed my black purse and put in it, forty dollars, a cotton candy glimmer lipgloss, my blackberry cellphone, and my car keys.

I stepped into my pink Nike Shox and went to the garage to get my car. For my sixteenth birthday, October 12, I got a porche. For that Christmas, I got a Chrysler Crossfire, and for my seventeenth birthday I got a Lamborghini in yellow, my favorite color. Tonight I was taking my Lamborghini.
****

The movie theater was packed. I spotted a dark spot in the back that looked like it was empty but when I sat down, I heard two male voices whispering.

"Hello," I whisper-spoke since the movie was about to start.

The first voice sounded familiar when he said, "Um, hi."

"You know her?" The second voice sounder amused.

"Yeah, this is Beth."

The I realized who it was. "Jason? Jason Folt?" I was surprised he knew my name.

"Yeah, and this is my cousin Seth. He's home schooled." He sounded bored so I changed the subject.

"You guys like vampire movies?"

I could see them exchange a glance and they both laughed. "They're fun to watch. They're so unrealistic it makes them funny and we laugh a lot because people scream and it isn't even close to being scary." He chuckled.

"Oh," I said. "I guess I understand, I mean vampires aren't real but that's why I like them. Because I like fantasy's."

I saw them exchange another glance. Then they were quiet for awhile so I finally spoke. "What are you guys doing after this?"

"Nothing, why?"

"Did you walk here?"

"Yeah, from Seth's house. Why?"

"Can you hang out with me after this?" I grinned at them.

They looked at each other with a secret exchange. "Yeah, sure."

The movie started. Jason and Seth laughed a lot like they said. They also seemed annoyed with many parts with comments like, "That is so fake," and "Anyone could do that. Why don't vampires get more credit." When they realized I was listening, they quieted to whispers that I couldn't understand.

The movie was very entertaining to me. I didn't let Jason and Seth know but some parts did seem to scare me. By the time the movie finished, I was laughing along with them. But I had a strange feeling deep in my gut that something wasn't right. I couldn't figure out what so I ignored it.

"Okay, guys. Come with me. My car's out front."

We walked in silence until we came to my car and Seth blurted out, "You have a Lamborghini!" It was more of an excited statement than a question.

"Yeah," I shrugged. It seemed like no big deal to me.

Jason elbowed him in the ribs. "Dude, she's rich." Then he grinned at me.

I raised my eyebrows and we got in the car. Seth sat up front with me and Jason was in the back, crossing his arms with a stern look on his face.

Seth looked more happy although he was strangely wrinkling his nose and his silver eyes were devilish. "So, are your parents going to be okay with this?"

"My parents are out of town on a business trip until Wednesday." I said.

"Cool," Jason muttered.

"What are we going to do?" Seth said. He had inched himself as far from me as possible, holding his breath and looking out the window.

"Just hang out, I guess."

Everyone was silent for awhile. The air in the car was getting tense. Finally Jason's bad temper cracked. 'Did you like the movie?" He grinned.

"Yeah," I said more enthusiastically than I'd planned to.

"We did too." Jason said and the boys both laughed.

We arrived at my house and all climbed out. Inside, they sat down at the kitchen table, while I helped myself to a cold slice of pizza. "Can I get you guys anything?" I offered.

Another glance together until Seth answered, "No, thanks."

"Your house is really nice." Jason said trying to break the awkward silence.

"Thanks. I don't usually have people over though. I'm not really friends with anyone in school. They're just too different than me."

Jason chuckled, "Same here."

They both watched me intently while I finished my slice of pizza. "You two are unlike anyone I've ever met."

They were silent. Finally I asked, "What's the deal? Is there a secret I can't know about?" I laughed but they didn't. So I stopped.

Seth took a deep breath, winced and then said to Jason, "Should we tell her."

Jason looked at me and firmly said, "Are we friends now?"

I only nodded and he said, "Yeah, I guess we can tell her."

They weren't smiling. They looked serious so I took a step back and leaned against the counter. "We're vampires."

I smiled and moved back forward. "Ha, funny joke."

"We're not kidding," Seth lifted his lips, growled and bared his teeth, which were fangs. Jason did the same.

I took a step back again. Jason got up and touched my arm. I immediately jumped. His hand was cold as ice. "Should I turn on the heat." I asked.

They looked at each other and laughed, "No, that won't help. Vampires always feel cold." Seth smiled at me. then his smile disappeared, "Are you scared?" He seemed surprised.

That's when I realized my mouth was hanging open and I closed it quickly then simply said, "No." Even I could tell how unbelievable that sounded because I said it so fast.

I took a deep breath and said, "Vampires aren't real."

They both laughed again, "Yes we are." Jason said, then sighed.

"Well I guess that's really cool then. Can I ask you questions," I smiled.

"You just did." And they laughed again.

I smiled shyly. "Why do you hold your breath so much?" Me.

"When we breathe, we can smell your blood. It's hard being in school with humans because the scent of blood is so strong." Jason.

"Yeah, but you can't hold your breath forever, so why not just get used to it?"

"well, actually we can hold our breath forever. We only breathe because we're addicted to it. We don't even think about it." Seth.

"How can you hold your breath forever?" Me.

"When you become a vampire, your blood disappears, therefore you crave other human blood. For a while it's all your heart desires. But after a while, our hearts begin to die. Without a heart, we don't need oxygen because it can't be pumped. So we don't need air and we don't need to breathe."
Jason.

"Oh, so how do you get turned into a vampire?" Me.

"Another vampire bites you. It's very painful. Plus, you have to have a vampire that can control itself because most vampires will taste your blood and a frenzy will begin. It's almost impossible to start and then stop drinking until your dead." Jason

"Well, I think that's enough for one night. I don't think I can handle anything else." I smiled.
"Are you sure?" Asked Seth.

"Completely."

"Hey, now that you know our secret, you and I should go out sometime." Seth flashed his fangs at me.

"You can give us both a chance and decide who's better for you," Jason narrowed his eyes towards Seth.

"Um, sure. I'll go with Seth tomorrow night and with you Sunday night. It's only fair. He asked first." I smiled at Jason, who I was talking to.

"That's fair." Seth grinned at me.

My mind set back to reality and I started cleaning up. I bagged up the pizza, put it in the fridge, and threw the box away. I wiped down the counters and and the sink, then walked to the door. All the while they watched me.

"Let's go to the living room," I said cheerfully.

I turned off the lights and they followed me. "It's ten o'clock. Should you guys be going home?"

"No, we have no curfew because we don't sleep." Jason pretended to yawn.

"So," Seth said trying to make conversation, "What do your parents do?"

"They're tax collectors and my mom is a home designer on the side. They're always busy."

"We had sat down on the black leather sofa and Jason sat on the matching black leathered recliner. "Your house is so fancy. Could we get a tour? I think I have ten bucks." Jason teased me with a ten he pulled out of his pocket.

I laughed. "Save your money. Yours here are free," and motioned them to follow me.

"Well this is the living room." It had dark hardwood floors, black leather furniture and a 72" flat screen television hanging on the wall. The walls were painted auburn red and pictures of the family hung on them. There were two black end tables with table lamps. The corners were home to vibrant, green plants.

We walked to the doorway of the next room and I allowed them to peek in, "This is the bathroom." The bathroom had a white tile floor, yellow walls, an amazing tub, a shower, one double sink and a toilet. Your usual bathroom.

We walked through the kitchen to get to the next room. "This, obviously, is the kitchen." The kitchen was the same colors as the living room.

From the kitchen, we went to the dining room. The walls were a dark evergreen. Pictures of fruit hung on them. The table and chairs were dark brown. In the corners were plants and a giant glass case holding pictures, glass figurines, artificial fruit and the expensive dinner-ware we never eat with. "The dining room.."

"This is the laundry room." It was plain white. White walls, white tile floors, white washer, white dryer, white closet and a white table. The only color was a picture of an orange flower on the wall.

The next room was the den. it was similar to the living room, but it had a fireplace. "This is the den."

The last room downstairs was the game room. It had a pool table, giant flat screen TV, air hockey table, pin ball machine, bar area, wii, play station, x-box, sitting area, and a closet. "This is the game room. We ca stay here. Upstairs is just my room, my parents room, two guest rooms, another bathroom and a family room."

"That's cool with us," they said and headed to the pool table.

After awhile of playing, I told them, "Guys, it's eleven. You might not have to sleep, but I do. Out." I smiled at them.

"Okay, bye," Seth gave me a hug.

"See you." Jason tried to kiss my forehead but I shook my head.

I walked them to the door and as they were leaving, Seth said, "How does it feel, knowing?"

"Amazing," I said sarcastically and he laughed.

"We'll come back tomorrow," Jason said, and they were gone.

After they left, I sat on the sofa for awhile thinking about what Seth said. Knowing, yes. I knew things that so many others didn't. Things others couldn't know. It's funny though, how they just came out and told me, like I was part of a game or something. I pondered this. I knew things that were dangerous. Things that could probably get me killed. I knew about vampires. A fairy tale creature that we all thought was made up. But no, vampires are real. And I knew about them. Vampires could kill me and now I was good friends with two of them.

I never had friends in this school. And now in one night, I had two good friends that trusted me with their secrets. Two new best friends. Vampire best friends.

I went upstairs, changed into my pajamas, and climbed into bed.

Vampires. There were so many things I wanted to ask. I was so curious. The word vampire sent shivers up my spine and dozens of thoughts spiraling my mind. Vampire. Dracula. Blood. Biting. Teeth. Fangs. So much that I didn't want to think about, not now. For sleeping brings dreams and dreams hear you thoughts and carry nightmares.

I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling. It was close to midnight. I finally let my eyes droop closed. I drifted off into a dreamless sleep. Thank goodness.