Celestial

Author's note: Ironically, I started writing this over the summer of 2010. I wanted to create a fantasy world...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Ironically, I started writing this over the summer of 2010. I wanted to create a fantasy world from my imagination, and shape it so it reflected the modern-day world.
I hope people can relate to this story.
AND ~ I'm not done with the novel at the moment. As I post more, things might start to change a bit because I intend to continue revising the story.
Again, thanks for reading.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

Prologue

A single Fire flickered in the quiet, shadowy woods.
Two figures were huddled close together, a mother and her little girl. With scarred fingers, the mother wove strips of rich bark into a tightly braided necklace, a heavy ruby pendant strung at the end of it. The hard, delicately cut surface of the jewel glistened luminously under the flames, winking at every sudden flare. The little girl watched her mother braid intently until a small, dead knot tied the necklace together. Her small mouth
I have the rough copy of this posted in the Action Adventure section. I edited it so it flowed better with the story. ENJOY(:
opened.
“Mother?”
“Yes, child?”
She pointed a finger at the Fire. “What is that?”
“Fire?” her mother asked gently, but her emerald eyes darkened. “It’s a powerful Element. You mustn’t play with it.”
The little girl understood the warning to her mother’s serious voice. Still, she couldn’t shake off that inquisitive, curious feeling. She didn’t understand. Slowly, she reached out to touch the leaping flames that were licking the air like a hungry snake. She expected nothing as her finger steadily plunged into the comforting warmness of the fire. It didn’t hurt. Her mother was watching this carefully with guarded eyes and did not speak.
The little girl drew her undamaged hand out and examined the fire thoughtfully. Just for a flicker of a second, she thought she saw a face appearing within the fire – a young boy’s, with tawny eyes and a splash of honey hair. But it disappeared as quickly as it had come, and so she shook it off, still mesmerized with the Fire’s beauty. The Fire gave her a sense of capability, of unconquerable elation, of power…
“How did I do that, Mother?” Her small, childlike voice was full of deep intuition, yet she still had to ask. The Fire answered her thoughts, unraveled the raveled, understood the mysteries of beyond.
Her mother didn’t answer directly. “Come here, child.”
The little girl obliged and climbed into her mother’s waiting arms. Within the arms, she felt safe and so she smiled happily at her mother, who returned a glowing look. Her mother took the freshly woven necklace and placed it carefully around Summer’s neck, the pendant fitting perfectly into the hollow of her throat.
“There,” her mother said, “that should remind you of me.”
The little girl’s delicate brow furrowed slightly. “Are you leaving, Mother?” Her ringing voice was filled of confusion. “Stay with me, please!” “I’ll never leave you, Summer.” Her emerald eyes were distant as she gazed the infinite darkness beyond the light of the fire. It was nothingness, just a vast, endless plain of the unknowns of her little girl’s deepest fears. Her mother was the only one she could hold onto, who she needed most desperately - she couldn’t leave... could she?
The question was answered almost immediately. The mother pushed her daughter gently back onto the black floor, and rose. To the little girl’s shocked cries, her only mother walked into the darkness.
Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

This book has 242 comments. Post your own now!

lovelycheese said...
Feb. 14 at 3:43 am
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hi guys! Thank you all so much for reading and commenting on Celestial. Four years ago, this developing book was probably the dearest thing to me, and reading all your wonderful comments brings back some fond memories. So thank you.  For now, I'm sorry to say that Celestial is shelved. I'm hoping to focus my attention on shorter works and poems--one reason being that I'm now a junior in high school (finding spare time is rather difficult),... (more »)

Jessica.Lowle said...
Dec. 13, 2013 at 11:36 am
Please tell me it isn't done! It's so good.

AnInkling said...
Sept. 22, 2013 at 9:49 am
I thought your book is very well writen, and keeps the reader interested! And I enjoyed it! However, the plot is now slighty stereo typical since "Hunger Games" has become a movie. Female hunter lives in a world that has been taken over by a dictator. While the celestials add a nice touch, and make her mother a rular will twist the plot nicely, you may consider giving Summer another occupation and giving the villiage its own "personality" to make your book less "typica... (more »)

MyNameIsCookiePie said...
this is AMAZING

Kestrel135This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:20 am
You have a good balance between dialogue and fluffy stuff and action. I like it! In fact, I love it... Please add more!!!!

kikixkupkake said...
pleaaaase add more!!

ElizaDThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Please add more!!! I love this!

bellatrix said...
update!!!!!!!!!!

MeggieMills said...
Oh my God ! This novel is awesome and you should be a novelist when you finish college! I'M LOVING SUMMER ALREADY!!! 

Tman2 said...
Love book write more

DylanC said...
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING KEEPEM COMING

WannaBeWriter3 said...
Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:58 am
i feel like a little kid asking for more candy but...... MORE!!!!!!! i really like it. the girl sor of gives me a katniss vibe

writesomethingalways This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is great! I am writing a fantasy novel of my own right now, and I can only hope mine is as good as yours! You have wonderful descriptions! That's one of the things I struggle with, but hopefully by reading this I can learn a little and become better! Great job!

artninja replied...
:) Hi writesomethingawesome! It's KM from book club!

LuvLife said...
Wow, stunning. So far the writing is stupendous. I know how hard it is to find time to write, but whenever you have the time, please write. You write write with fluency. Please. With a cherry on top, will you find time to write? Thx

ali123 said...
Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:50 am
i like the story it was good

shy.. said...
i really like this! I hope theres more soon.

Lady_Muffin said...
I just finished reading it. Please add more chapters!!!!

Lady_Muffin said...
Yup, it does!!!

Reese D. said...
The book sounds good!!!