The Porthole to Olympus | Teen Ink

The Porthole to Olympus

By Minnie_Li, Beijing, Other
Minnie_Li, Beijing, Other

Author's note:

I am in sixth grade and I really like reading books. The creative essays I write are mostly realted to the topics that I am interested at this period.

In the corner of my bed hung the last picture to be taken down. I approached it and carefully took down the last picture. I slumped down on my bed and observed at the photo. My friends and I were at the fair, and I was holding a delectable cotton candy. The beautiful smiling faces made me feel nostalgic, I yearned to be back during the time where everything was idyllic and when hardships were only in fairy tales.

“Annie! Come on, we need to get going,” my mom shouted from downstairs. My head neglected every single word she said, I was in no hurry to go. Slowly I put the last picture into the box of all my entities and closed it with tape. I took a last look at my room, “Farewell, I will never forget you,” I said softly and headed downstairs.

“It is about time you came down,” my mom said with anger in her eyes, “if we leave any later, we would arrive at our new house in New York at midnight.” I never remarked, and we got on our car. My mom started to drive away and from the back seat I waved at our former house until it was just a speck of black dots. I flopped down and started fidgeting with my toys.

“Remind me why we are leaving this house again?” I asked, still grouchy from leaving.

My mom hesitated before answering, “Honey, we are just trying to start a better life, and forget about the hardships.” I knew exactly what she was talking about, two years ago, my dad had disappeared. We waited and waited until finally we forwent the hope of finding my father. I do not know why, neither did my mom, we kept thinking about it and finally my mom decided to move to New York and start over.

I did not agree with her, “But, this place has wonderful memories, and this gives memories of my childhood, why are you taking it away.” As I thought of my childhood, I wished so much to be back, tears started to form in my eyes and anger surged into me. I wanted to ask why, why did my life have to be like this, why did my mom have to make that idiotic decision of moving to NYC? I wanted to punch something in order to get all the fury out, but I held it in. Then something happened, my vision blurred, when it cleared it looked as if I had a flashback, I saw myself in our old house and my mom was preparing dinner. It looked to me as spaghetti and hotdogs. Those were quite rare I thought as I pondered about the times which I had eaten spaghetti and hotdogs. Then I saw myself come out of my room, “Mom what’s for dinner? I’m starving”

“Spaghetti and hotdogs, your fave honey,” my mom replied as she took out the plates and put it on the table.

“Where’s dad, is he not home?”

“No, but I’m sure that he will be back soon,” I felt as if I had been hit in the stomach, I finally figured what is this flashback showing me – the day that father disappeared. I watched in horror as the flashback played the day that I cried all night and the day that my mom panicked and called the police. Then finally I came back to conscious.

“Did you have a nice slumber, we’re almost at our new home,” I looked around and then my mom parked the car in front of a black brown wooden house. We went inside, the place was a little dusty and old. Mom told be this place had been vacant for one whole year. However, when we moved in the elderly owner of this house had amicably cleaned it for our arrival.

That night I had a nightmare, I dreamt of myself waking up at midnight. I got thirsty, so I went downstairs to take a glass of water but when I poured the water it disappeared. My brain twirled around keeping track of what was happening, as I lifted up my head, I saw a pale white-faced girl standing. When I looked again, I realized that I was mistaken she was floating, she wore an angle’s white fluffy dress and she looked like one too, but the joy seemed to be sucked out of her.

As I stared at her in awe, she watched me and held out her finger pointing in the direction of the window. Slowly I altered my gaze to the window and almost fainted, outside was a picture of my long-lost father and a picture of my mom and me. The picture of my dad was surrounded by water, but it looked sunny and merry. The picture that captured my mom and me was filled with sadness. Suddenly I woke up from my slumber.

Our first day at our new habitat was satisfying, everything was reassuring, and everyone was welcoming. After a fatiguing day I jumped on my bed and dozed off.

My dream was identical. I got thirsty, so I went downstairs to take a glass of water but when I poured the water it disappeared. I lifted up my head and I saw the pale white-faced girl standing. She pointed towards the window and I saw the pictures and then I woke up. Something was strange, and I cannot solve this dilemma alone, but there is no one to chat with. I did not know anyone except my mom, but she will not be beneficial.

My dream was still the one where I went downstairs to take a glass of water but when I poured the water it disappeared. When I lifted up my head and I saw the pale white-faced girl standing. She pointed towards the window and I saw the pictures.

After a breakfast of eggs and ham I went outside to receive some fresh air and find a solution to my dream. As I walked around gazing at the beautiful neighborhood, I noticed a girl with red curly hair sitting over there. Sure, there were other kids, boys shouting and playing basketball, girls hanging out, but that girl just appeared to me in some sort of way I do not understand. I stood there and stared at her, unfortunately she saw me and waved at me, then she approached me and said her salutations.

“Hi, I am Katy, I have never seen you before, are you new?”

“I’m Annie and yes I am new,”

“So, how  are you enjoying NYC?” she asked with curiosity, I was in no mood for making friends, but Katy had no feeling of stopping, she kept asking me questions and kept talking.

“My mom is texting me to head home, catcha later,” I said, and I zoomed back to our house.

“So, did you make any new friends,” she asked.

“Just one,” I replied, wondering what’s for dinner. That night we went out to In & Out and ate a delectable feast of burgers. I felt warmth that night from my mother and then I finally remembered what happiness was.

The same repeated dream occurred and today I have had enough of it. This is the time to put a stop. I changed into jeans and a white t-shirt hoping to make me look determined. I put on a determined look and headed outside. The truth was I had no idea how to escape the grasps of this dream, but I was hoping to find a solution in the local hospital.

That idea demonstrated stupidity, for I had no idea what I was doing or going. I just paced around the streets pondering. How, how could I have a repeated dream and how did this happen. Could it be because

“Hi Annie, how ya doing,” Katy walks right up to me and performs her salutation.

“Oh hi,” I replied, I need to tell this dream to somebody, obviously not my mom, she will not be of assistance, well besides her the only person I am familiar with is Katy, I should tell her.

“So, I have something to ask you and I hope you can help me out,” I said.

“Sure, it would be my pleasure,” Katy replied eager to listen. I start my story from beginning to end, explaining every single detail.

“So, you’re saying that you have the same repeated dream of your father that left you,” she remarks after listening to my story.

“Yes, and do you think you know why?” I ask with a positive attitude.

“Child of Apollo, god of oracles,” she murmurs to herself.

“What in the world are you talking about,” I said, confused about what she was talking about. Then there was a long silence as Katy thought.

“What do you enjoy doing, music or archery, or do you find yourself talented in these subjects?”

“Umm, well I think I’m good at music and umm, I’ve never really tried archery,” Katy looked like her brain was about to explode, it processed the information I said precisely, and she seemed to find a solution of some kind.

“Ok, Annie, tonight we predict the same dream will occur and go to the direction in which the ghostly figure is pointing.

Dusk came and I was tucked in the bed. Same thing, I went downstairs for water but it disappeared, the pale girl came and I obeyed Katy’s orders, I followed the girls direction and went outside, the surroundings shifted and I saw my dad sitting on a throne with 11 others in a magical place that I cannot imagine or describe, then suddenly I woke up and was back to normal.

I woke up puzzled, what did that dream mean. I got out of bed, ate a scrumptious breakfast and headed outside to find that confusing friend of mine. I walked up and down the streets when I finally found her sitting on a bench.

“Hey Katy,” I say.

“Hi, how you doing, what dream did you have last night,”

“Um, so like you said I followed where the girl was pointing and well, I saw my dad in an amazing outfit sitting on a golden throne along with 11 others who was also sitting on a throne in a spectacular palace sort of thing,” I recalled my dream.

“Okay, that is a signal that your father is sending you. Your father is a god. The god Apollo, god of archery, healing, oracles that foresee the future and the god who rides in a sun chariot in the morning, I know that because I am a demigod too,” Katy explained.

I was confused, stunned, unable to process the information, but when I did somehow, I believed her, I felt some connection with her that I can entrust her. “If what you said is true, then why hasn’t my dad contact us, doesn’t he know that my mom and I were worried about him.” I said suddenly furious about my dad, not contacting us and leaving so much pain for us to bare.

“No, he was very worried about you, but Olympus has made a rule about no contact with the world, Olympus is where the gods live and thrive,” she said trying to calm me down.

“What stupid rule is that, and what stupid person made that. Don’t they know there are families wishing for their parents to come back,” just then a streak of lightning came even though the sky was as clear as water.

“Watch what you are saying Annie the Olympus can sense you, that lightning was Zeus expressing his fury, do not ever annoy them,” I felt trapped, my father is unable to have contact with me, even though he is still alive.

“Where’s Olympus,” I asked.

“Olympus is hidden from us, no one knows. The gods cannot make contact with us because they cannot leave Olympus, but between you and me” she started to whisper, “I can feel my father’s presence, but there is a porthole there,” she explained. That’s when I suddenly remembered Katy was a demigod too, she had been through these experiences.

“Wait Katy who is your father,”

“My father is the blacksmith god, Hephaestus,”

“Well, now that I know that my father is alive and well, I want to go find him, I do not care what kind of stupid rules there are, I am going to go in the porthole” I said determined to go on an adventure.

“No, you will regret this, it is a dangerous journey,”

“Nonsense, I can find it, but please assist me in this adventure,”

“Okay Annie, I understand your feeling of hatred towards Olympus, but” she was about to finish her sentence when I chimed in,

“So, you’ll come, great, let’s leave at 6:00 am in the morning, and meet at the place we are right now,”

“But we don’t even know where we’re going,”

“it’s ok, I’m sure we’ll be able to locate the area, but I’m not sure how to spread the news to my mom,”

“Well, fine,” Katy finally gave in, “one thing I know about these adventures is that if your mom doesn’t let you go if you explain these things just leave her a note saying you’re off to explore NYC, if you know she’ll still be furious just say what you are really up to, these godly things will make her confused, and will probably ease the anger.”

After saying that we both departed back to our homes and continued our daily life. I was so excited about going on this adventure, and I contemplated deeply about what I should bring to this adventure. I took out my knapsack and started packing, I packed some money, a water bottle, some clothes, some toiletries and my phone.

The next morning, I woke up and 4:30 am got dressed in a white t-shirt a leather jacket, a leather pants and some leather shoes. Then at 5:15 when I finally finished brushing my teeth, showering, braiding my hair into one big braid. I started writing my note for my mom and at 5:35 I headed out to meet Katy at the place we decided to do, under a big tree near her house.

Soon Katy came strolling to the tree. There was a slight breeze and it looked like it was going to rain. After we said our salutations we departed and started our mission.

“So, Annie, where should we go first,” Katy asked when we started walking.

I thought and said, “Well, since you know more you should lead us to the place we should be going,”

“I don’t know where we should be going,”

“You should know, you are not a novice like me, come on,”

“you’re the one who forced me to go, and you said we will figure out where we are going,” She answered a little too harsh for me to tolerate.

“Hey, I’m doing this for us, for every demigod and I would’ve just gone by myself, but I thought you’d want to come and be on an adventure,” I could not believe we were fighting before all of this even started. I knew that I needed her as a guide and a companion, and after a moment’s thought, I realized that I had been pushy, and I was not amiable like a real friend should be.

“I’m sorry Katy, I was just so excited, that I have a chance on seeing a god and I get to see my father again. I am naïve to this god situation, so could you guide me to wherever we have the best opportunity,”

“Ok, I understand your excitement, umm, well these gods obviously came from Greece and then spread to Rome, but we can’t really go there, so I think we should catch the train and head to Washington DC, I have heard of some rumors there. First however, we need to get you some weapons,”

“what do you mean,” I was puzzled, what did she mean by weapons.

“I mean naturally you should be skilled with a bow and arrow and you should be talented at first aid. One thing I am sure about Greek culture is that they are not civilized people, we need weapons, and lucky for you I am talented at producing materials and weapons. So, come to my secret shack and I will show you.” Anxiety surged into me, it never occurred to me that this could be fatal. Katy started walking, and I decided I should follow.

Her secret shack was outstanding. It consisted of all types of weapons and materials. She gave me a bow and arrow and told me to go to the archery stadium in her shack to shoot. I had watched people do archery before, so I knew roughly what to do, I pulled the string and let go, a surprised me watched it fly and land on the red circle in the middle. Katy however was not surprised, “I knew you were the daughter of Apollo,” she told me. Then she handed me a first aid kit, “Take the bow and the first aid kit, they are your weapons, and let’s head to the train station.”

“Okay,”

The train station was crowded, but we did manage to buy some tickets and get on the train Katy and I decided to talk about. What we are going to do next.

“So, do you know what the porthole is going to look like,”

“I think it is some sort of black hole, but it could anywhere, most likely in Washington.”

“Ok, do you know anywhere you think that might be the most likely to have a porthole?”

“I’m not sure, but let’s just wander around,”

“Okay,”

We negotiated about our plan until the end of the long hours of the train ride.

“Washington DC!” came the announcement that indicated we were at our destination. When the train came to a complete stop the doors opened, Katy and I walked out of the train, into the station.

“So, here we are, Washington DC, capital of the USA,” I remarked, “Should we head south or north,”

“Umm,” Katy thought, “North we go,” and we started heading out the station. Just as we were going out of the door, I noticed something, a huge framed picture with a little black hole on the side.

“Hey uh, Katy, did you see this hole on the picture,”

“What pic, oh, hey do you think this is  the porthole,” her voice became very excited.

“You think so?” I asked also becoming very excited,

“Maybe let’s go and see, wait are we just going to take off the picture and crawl into this hole. This might be a little too small,” her voice became a little disappointed,

“Well it is worth a shot, let’s go and see,” we walked over to the picture but two men was standing over there.

“Sorry but could you move a little sir,” I asked with proper etiquette.

“Why what do you need to do,” one of the men asked. I was a little stunned by his impoliteness. Then Katy chimed in, “We just need to see this picture for personal issues.” The men did not move, they just stared at us, and then they changed shape, turning them into monsters with swords.

“Demigods! You are trying to pass the porthole on the back of this picture to get to Olympus, well, well, well, it is not so easy, we will stop you,” one of them growled, I felt my body become tense and nervous.

“Run!” I told Katy

“No, we can’t, they will chase us, and we will not stand a chance, take out your bow and arrow. We have to try, at least we know that this is the porthole.” I never thought that finding a black hole could cause me to meet my demise, I was shocked and so intimidated, but I obeyed her commands and took out my bow and arrow and aimed and one to shoot it, I pulled my bow and shot, the monster just ducked. This will not work, we need a plan I thought.

“You fight and distract it, I will find a moment to shoot them both,” I whispered. She nodded to indicate she understood what I was saying. Slowly I crept out of sight, Katy was using an enormous pink dagger, she fought with them hardly. I found a spot where they could not see me and pulled my boy aimed at one of the monsters.

“Ahh,” came the sound of a monster with an arrow struck at his chest and was slowly dying. I did not hesitate and pulled another arrow aimed straightly at the other one, but this time I was not so fortunate and it hit his arm, he did cry in pain, instead it was like the arrow was just a big paper cut, I pulled my bow again and this time it did hurt him. Then Katy sank her dagger in both of the monsters to finish them off.

“We did it,” I cried merrily when we reunited. That is when I noticed, no one was here anymore. “Hey Katy, where did all the other people go,” I asked.

“They obviously ran away when we were fighting, if you saw two huge monster fighting with two girls you would probably run away right?”

“I guess so, now let’s crawl in,” We took the picture, which revealed a trap door, I opened it and saw a big hole. “Come on.” I told her. We crawled for about 2 minutes when we were exposed to an amalgamation of green colors.

“Hey, we’re in a forest,” Katy told me.

“So, where should we go,”

“I do not know, but I’m starving, why don’t we find some food first,”

“Agreed, I am hungry too,” I took out my weapon to hunt, we walked around until I saw a wild cow over there, slowly I pulled the string on my bow and “Woosh,” the Cow fell dead on the ground. I had hit it on its eyes, so the bow did not damage any of the skin. Katy cut down some wood to make a fire, and we cooked the cow. Then we started to eat it, “Hey, this tastes so much better,” I acknowledged. 

“Yeah,” Katy agreed. Then we heard footsteps, “Should we hide,” Katy asked.

“No, let’s go and ask this person some directions to Olympus,” The person was walking towards, in the distance I made out the shape and decided it was a man. When the person reached us, “Hey, you have got a lot of nerves shooting a cow of a god,” I could not believe who said it, it was my dad.

“Dad!” I screamed in ecstasy.

“Annie, you found Olympus, I’m sorry about disappearing, Zeus made a rule saying, all gods have to live in Olympus, but if one demigod found it the rule would vanish, and now you did it,”

“Okay, well let’s go find Zeus,” the three of us walked into the gigantic and luxurious building of Olympus.

“Hey, Mr. Apollo, I am the daughter of Hephaestus, do you know where he is?”

“Follow me,” Soon Katy reunited with her father. The two gods talked to Zeus and brought back the exciting news that they could live with us again. Then nearly all the gods went out of Olympus to find their worried and anxious children. Katy and I told our father about everything about everyday they missed.

After a long train ride, we finally reached our street and we departed from Katy.

“So, this is your new house Annie,”

“Yep, come on let’s go find mom,” We knocked on the door, and when my mom saw my dad and I she became so blissful. We talked and talked about everything. My family became perfect.