Sleep Deprived | Teen Ink

Sleep Deprived

By TheUnluckyFish, Rolling Fork, Mississippi
TheUnluckyFish, Rolling Fork, Mississippi

Author's note:

This is a rewrite of the same story from a different platform I made a while back. I can't wait to see where this story goes, so bare with me ya'll.

Just a little bit of an introduction to give a little backround on who they are towards our lovely protaganist. They will be recurring roles in this story, so be familiar with them.

“School starts too early!” Said my best friend, Josie Rose, but I call her Jo.
“I know! I have to wake up every morning at six thirty to get here!” I tried to sound as cheery and jubilant as Jo, but that’s a feat that I’d rather not try to conquer.
“Did you here? That crazy lady Maxine died last night. Her last words were apparently ‘the shadows’. Weird.” Said Jo.
Maxine. Maxine, that poor woman. When she was our age in the 1980’s, she said she saw things moving in the shadows and that these things were out to get her. When she was 15, she was taken to an insane asylum three towns down.
I reached the steps a few seconds before Jo, “I beat you! Ha!”
“We weren’t even racing!” She said with her trademark laugh.
We began to ascend the stairs. All 654 of them. We finally reached the top after about five minutes, so we were just in time for math.
I love math. It’s my best subject. It’s also the only class Jo and I have together. Our teacher, Ms. Gemini, is the nicest teacher I know. She is the best teacher I’ve ever had.
We dropped our stuff at our locker and lingered there for a little. We had a few minutes before we had to go to class.
“Hey, Roxanne.” Said Brett Gavin, another one of my best friends.
“Hi.” I said as he walked around me to his locker, which was right beside mine.
The bell rang and everyone walked calmly to their class. Just kidding, everyone bolted through doors and knocked each other over to get to their class. Brett, Jo, and I, however, did walk calmly because our lockers are right next to our advanced math class. How convenient.
“Good morning, students!” Said Ms. Gemini as we flooded into the class. “Good morning.” All students said in unison. I might love math, but I’m going to love this day even better, and that’s only because we got to bring snacks and stuff to watch a movie. Ms. Gemini is also brought us popcorn.
“I’m going to turn on the movie, it’s called Grease. This is a great movie that I highly recommend for you to see, but you can do whatever during the class period. Like sit with your friends, draw, read. I don’t care just as long as you’re not too disruptive.” Explained Ms. Gemini. I’ve already seen Grease and so have Brett and Jo. We all went to see it when it came out in theaters again for its 40th Anniversary.
“So, since us three have already seen it, let’s talk about, hmm, our summer plans!” Said Jo. And that’s exactly what we did. After math, we went to all of our other classes (of course). Finally, the day was over.
Jo followed me home because she was going to sleepover at my house.
“I can’t wait for tonight!” Said Jo with much exuberance.
“Yeah, me neither.”
Tonight was the premiere of season 5 our favorite reality series Super Southern Sisters. On this episode, Geoffrey is supposed to propose to Lila! Jo and I could not wait for this moment.
We then reached my house. Ready to start the night off with the greatest show in history. Well, after we complain about having homework on a Friday and then proceed to do it. I like Fridays.