The Leviathan | Teen Ink

The Leviathan

By trinity_walker13, Cocoa Beach, Florida
trinity_walker13, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Author's note:

Ever since I was in 2nd grade I had realized my passion. Writing came easy to me but most other things didn't. When I wrote, it was most like how Grey felt while reading. Writing was my utopia, and to my father it was the same. Every night he would tell me stories that would soon inspire my books and me as a person. My dad had always wanted to write, even as a boy, but didn't have the support, the time, or the dedication, having multiple jobs and starting his own business to support his own family. But I do have the support. With 'The Leviathan' I want to start my writing carrer early and fulfill what my dad never could do. He inspires me every day. I want this book to show people that Grey, being 16, alone and with a disability can conquer things that eveyone had not thought she could do. I hope everyone will love this book as much as I do.

White. A pure color. White is everywhere. On the four symmetric walls, the flooring, the ceiling. The only glimpse of color on the pod was a swirling puddle of oil in the corner. Studying it, it seem it had dozens of hues in it. Kaleidoscopic looking, even. Green. Green then purple. Purple then blue. Continuous. The world must have had all of these colors and more long before the winter. Green vegetation, not like the synthetic plants grown in labs. Blue skies, unlike the simulated blue dome perched above our heads in the courtyard. I continued to look at the puddle, submerged in my thoughts. It seemed as though I had thought about how the world was before the conflict of the countries time and time again. Yesterday too I thought about the ravaged Earth and what it had seemed then and how it seemed now.
The executives come every so often to educate the youth on the dangers of our past vessel and how only the Carriers should go down there if you get the honor of doing so. They make it sound as though being a Carrier was a noble job. But only the ones handpicked by Mr. Burke himself go. They are plucked from the learning center or their families and shipped away to Earth to get water, metals, all the necessities for ship maintenance and basic needs of the people. Though there are two types of workers. Carriers and Miners. The Miners are sent to the Moon to mine Helium-3 to fuel the reactor on the ship, but that is a rarity. Every two years Miners must be chosen. I myself am only 16, but it still is sad as the people bid farewell to their grief-stricken families. The families always have hope, but nevertheless they return only to die because of the harsh conditions they experienced or are killed by the tribes.
It reminded me of a book that I read as a child. It centered on the Second World War. How children were sent away from their parents on trains to be kept safe from the lethal bombings. Literature. One of the great things that keep me grounded to my seemingly unrealistic being is literature. That and my vast hunger for learning. I had proven to be very inquisitive, though I really didn’t prefer socializing. I find that the only companionship I need is a book and white noise in the background. That’s my utopia. But, the utopia I wished I could see is the ones talked about in my books. The green and the purple, yellow, and pinks.
The Earth. Oh, what I would give to see a live tree in the wild or a singing bird or feel the gentle rays of sunlight on my shoulders. A life where my hands don’t shake. A world where the ground is still beneath my feet.
And then, I was back in my pod. Waiting, looking at the puddle.
There was a slight knock on my door. I turned around as the door opened. My head spun to the side to my nightstand. It was 6:30. The door cracked even more and a pair of bright eyes of all colors looked at me. Eyes just like the dripping and swirling puddle of oil. Peaking, he brought his whole face in.
He was about 4’6 with wispy caramel hair. His teeth were still like nubs and he had a babyish stature. He seemed much younger than the rest of the kids his age, turning nine this week. The Leviathan being so very close to the Earth, our measure of time is slightly different but overall is quite similar. Still seven days in a week. He came into the room and put his hands behind his back and grinned, rocking from the balls of his feet to his heels.
“Good morning, Grey!” He said with the slightest lisp. I smiled in return.
“You need to come down, there’s an announcement.” Caleb stated while making his way out the door. “Okay, thank you for letting me know, I’ll be down shortly.” He nodded quickly and barreled out the room.
With little to no hesitation, I stand and open the top compartment on my white chest of drawers. Within it, I find one crisp pair of white neutral toned clothes folded neatly in the center. I undress and redress myself. I pick up a pristine hairbrush on the bathroom counter top, combing through my mid-length brown hair into a ponytail just above the nape of my neck.
I look at myself square in the mirror. My pinkish-pale skin bright in the reflection and my eyes intimidatingly blue. Walking out, I pick up a red string on my bedside table frayed from old age. Clutching the string with a shaking hand, twisting and untwisting it with three willowy fingers.
Walking down a pristine white hallway with a still face and with a less still pair of appendages, I find myself in a room filled with others donned in white cotton pants and button-ups, with the still faces similar to mine.
Another humdrum day it was in the Leviathan, a great shuttle that holds the remaining surviving people, animals, and genetically modified plants. It orbits around our sun, like a planet, and about the same size too. It is called the Leviathan for a reason. It is just outside Earth’s gravitational field, like a moon of a sort. I watch as the screens around the tinted windows arise, providing a breathtaking view of our sun from a safe distance.
The sun is a beautiful shade of yellow and red with some orange tones as well and a mighty sight for sore eyes. In which I am sure there are many sore eyes on this ship at the moment. But there is always that silence that sweeps over the room every morning as the sun drips into the horizon.
It is customary now to show the sun again each morning to provide hope of a new tomorrow. We are all promised a better world soon, but soon has been quite long. Mr. Burke swears on a safe return to Earth once all of the “minor problems” are amiss to us. Minor problems that include, a prolonged nuclear winter, humans that became savage, and the last dying population of animal and plant Earth-inhabitants turning to bones and dust before our by standing eyes or so we’ve been told. But he says we can trust him. He promises water. Water. One of the richest words on the ship. Whether you were born into a family of wealth or a poverty-stricken household. None of which matter more than water. As so, the fat man is envied, and the skinny woman is pitied.
With what minimal supplies found here on the ship are what we have until the Carriers arrive. Yes, the Carriers provide for us, but cannot provide much for themselves or their families. The Carriers usually arrive sooner, though it seems they are late. If they are too late, it might cost us everything.
But as we all stand huddled in the square, the silence becomes hushed murmuring from neighbor to neighbor. Me? I stand alone. Not many want to associate themselves with me. As people and their families huddle together in pods, I slouch with my lips pressed tight together. I stare at my feet as people flock about around me, avoiding eye-contact. Crowds aren’t exactly my favorite.
A small hand slips into mine and grasps it purposely. I look down and Caleb is assuring me. My hands hang still aside from the fidgety twisting and untwisting of the string. A room of leisure soon turns lull, the air hanging dead in our lungs as a figure steps into view at the front of the pavilion.
A man painted into the shadows draws out into vision. Christopher Burke. A man of great power and responsibility, standing taller than all others with a stone-like composure. It seemed he had made friends with time, his mind still fit and fitter than most. His snake-like features added to his slim composure and high arched brows scrunched the skin at the center. His upturned nose always made it seem as though he had always smelt something sour. He scans through the crowd with a look of distaste, but many just say it’s not his fault, it’s just his face. A hazy glow of silence surrounds the crowd. I shift from foot to foot uneasily. He opens his mouth and a voice dripping with accent and formality speaks.
“Ladies and gentlemen. I am sorrowful to announce the disconnection with the last Carrier team arriving on Earth-”
He is interrupted by multiple cries from the audience, as whenever the Leviathan was disconnected from the team, it meant that they had been captured by local groups of hunters. That usually happens though sometimes the team doesn’t return. That is, the situation now. The humans now fought with sticks and stones as primitive as we were thousands of years prior to today. Even in their state, they are still hostile to the Carriers, wearing large packs holding water and such. I heard that they are cannibals and they eat the Carriers once they are taken. A girl named Crystal from my studies had told all of us at the learning center, but I was not exactly sure I believed her words. I told her ‘what proof do you have?’ and she told me to ask one of them myself when I go down to Earth. I couldn’t stand being in the same room as her. She poked fun at me a lot because in her mind and in many others, was a freak. Especially being compared to her friends and herself, with their flowing blond hair and blue eyes. I was quite plain. I was just Grey and nothing more.
As the cries die down, Burke lifts out a hand to the audience, a comforting gesture, though he made it seem more dismissive.
“As I said, we do not know where the team is, we are only aware that they are in the southern hemisphere of what used to be South America. With that knowledge, we will put together a second team of people to find them and bring back even more resources!” He exclaimed with wide eyes as though he just had the greatest idea man had ever thought.
Carriers are constantly sent down to that specific area in South America, no idea why, but all of the citizens call it the Stockyard. The name quite narrates itself.
The passengers glared at him with profound intensity. This man was not proposing such a good plan, because they might as well loose another team of 20 people. The crowd looked around to see each other’s faces, looking for other opinions than their own. I stare down at my feet and Caleb sways back and forth against my shaking arm.
What he doesn’t understand being young, is that his mother might leave. His father died as a Carrier when Caleb had just been conceived 3 months before. Alexander Harrigan. He had a lung collapse years before and had only one working one and was not fit for the job but saw it as civic duty. Caleb has yet to realize is that his mother might go as well. An elderly man from the second row shouts out at Burke who is still as his voice is stern.
“But who will go? Many mothers have already left. But what about the children, Mr. Burke?”
“My family gave 1,000,000 euros for a hospitable stay!” A second voice shouted from a row several to the left.
All of the people on the ship had to pay a great fee, because the ship could only hold so many. My great-great-great-great-great-grandparents had sold their house and salvaged all the money they could manage to get the smallest pod size offered on the ship’s lowest level. Many mumbled around to their left and right.
“We will have a second meeting shortly before those will be sent. Thank you.” And he exited into a door behind him.
“So you just sacrifice another group of mothers, fathers, and teenagers?”
A third then a fourth protested, until the crowd became a rioting mess. With haste, I picked up Caleb and ran to the staircase edge and to the hallway overlooking the mass of people. Burke had left the podium and officials made a circle around the doorway, mothers and elders shouting at him from the other side of the barrier as he left his people behind with ease. Cries of children were speckled among the audience. I covered Caleb’s head with a hand as he protested in my shaking arms, shouting for his mother. Breathlessly, I begin scanning the swarm, but soon enough my eyes found the sun. A new tomorrow. Safety. Hope.
“You promised.”

I sat on the edge of my bed in my pod. The hallway was quiet and still, the crowd dispersed hours ago but the remnants of ripped banners and such littered the white floors in memory. My breaths still short and my ponytail hanging limply around my back and shoulders. Strands hanging by my ears and shading my eyes. I had not bothered to fix it given the circumstances. I raise a hand to swipe the hair out from my eyes but found them shaking so much that I brought them down into my lap and folded them.
Gathering my thoughts, I picked myself up and trailed to the bathroom. Under the dim, musky light, I lift the metal handle up and to the left on the sink faucet. Water spews out and I dip my cupped hands into the stream. I pull my hands back and splash my still flustered face. The rush of cold finds me, and my eyes closed and my nose scrunched, I pat down the counters for a towel, finding one hanging on the shower curtain rod. I dry my face, and start back to my bed when an alarm starts ringing awfully loud in the distance.
“That… sounds like-”
Curiosity turns to a frantic search for my string. Finding it on the bathroom counter I pick it up and hands trembling, I make it out the door while others just as me file into the hallway with dimming fluorescent lights illuminating my every move. Mothers rubbing their sore eyes while a gaggle of children trail behind them inquisitively.
I keep to myself, clenching my intertwined hands to my chest, my slouching posture giving nothing away. People crowd to my left and right, the alarm blaring louder as we all approach the staircase, and looking over the balcony, we all find Burke standing on ledge overlooking the lot of us. It was probably the suggested safer option, regarding what happened just hours before.
He peered down at us as the final person arranged them self into the courtyard. The lights dimmed and the protective tinted screens arose from the windows, displaying the sun.
“Ah, what a beautiful addition to scenery.” He rose a hand to the hand behind him. The guard pressed a button on a handheld remote and the alarm receded.
Clapping his gaunt hands, he grinned the slightest.
“Now, I believe you all know why I have brought you here, yes?”
The crowd looked around uneasily. He pauses and scans the room without the turning of his head. I, for one know what is happening, and I am sure the others do as well.
“Well then, let’s start, shall we?” He stated so casually.
“I had already pooled together all registered peoples of ages 16 to 45. The results include-” He steps back to reveal a lanky, man with bottle cap glasses and a receding hairline of mid-forties in age. He stands there at the balcony with eyes wide and a quivering bottom lip. He is handed the remote from the guard, and he lifts it up at the window to his side and clicks it. A list of names is projected onto the glass. It is arranged by last name, as it had been years and years prior. He reads them aloud for those who can’t even bear to look.
“Darius Aaron, Quentin Albergo.” He stops and looks down as guards are pulling a young man with glasses from a weeping girl, perhaps his lover, and an older man wearing a back brace is separated from his wife who stands still in shock and children, who are screaming and grasping his leg while a guard forces the three apart. The mother hugs the children who are reaching out as the father is dragged away to a separate door across the room. The crowd parts in silence as the guard pulls the struggling man to the exit.
The man atop the balcony watches, his eyes follow him with uncertainty. He is prodded with a stick of some sort and he blinks for some time until he takes a prolonged breath and continues raggedly.
“Anastasia Bennett, Erin Butcher, Phoenix Carroll, Clyde Crueller, Chan Cai.” Many other men, women and adolescent men separated from their families, and some just walk on alone. The man continues on for many other names after, every so often he would glance up and the guard would goad him again, then again.
“Chance Halsey, Seymour Irving, Michael...Michael.” He blinked and his lip quivered and he stood stock still. I turned away to see the window, the name being Michael Lynch on the projection. Looking over at the guard he blinked twice.
Abruptly, he pushed past the two guards by his side and rushed to the balcony edge. People from the audience cried out, backing away, some rushing to aid below. The guards followed closely behind, as if they were approaching an animal, crouching low to the ground. The man stepped up to the railing overlooking the stressing crowd.
I stare up, neck craning and panic-stricken, just as the rest. The guards gesture to the man, speaking to him in a mutter, or a whisper, but it didn’t seem to have a comforting tone. It sounded like a warning. As he spoke, the man shook his head spastically. He whimpered from above. The guard spoke again, in a deeper, louder voice. The man’s whimper grew into a cry. A guard standing in the back was gestured to, he then opened the back door and Burke appeared, scowling. The man held out his hands to him, keeping him at least 8 feet away.
Burke spoke to him sternly, but almost inaudible.
“You stay back!” The man shouted in return edging closer to the overhang. “You have no right to tell me what to do as a scientist nor a person.”
“Now, now, come down please Michael. We can talk this out, yes?”
He took a step towards the man now known as Michael.
“We all need you.” Burke continued. Michael’s face which was one of a scared child’s distorted into disgust.
“No. You need me, but you don’t need a lot of these people, do you Christopher Burke? Do you? No, no you don’t. He doesn’t need you, or you...” He screamed and pointed to people among the crowd, including me.
“Or you, or you, you and you!” He swayed breathless and frantic.
“He doesn’t need any of you!” Gesturing outward with his hands, seeming like a madman. Some people backed away in fright. He turned his back to the audience and to Burke. Almost a whisper but loud enough for the crowd to hear he spoke.
“But you do need me, don’t you? Well, not anymore.” And with that, he threw himself off the balcony. With wide eyes, I watched as the crowd dispersed, running in the opposite direction, screaming. I stood still. And watched. My body did not compel me to move. I stood, my head followed his flailing body, down, down, down. Filled with life.
Then it wasn’t.
He hit the ground silent. Gasps and cries echoed once again from the people. I stepped forward.
As I was perched there, I c***ed my head to the side. I looked into his eyes covered by cracked glasses. They were still open. Brown and fragile looking as the Earth.
The screams dissipated from my ears. Everything was silent.
I squinted and looked deeper into his eyes. It then seemed as though the eyes looked back up at me. I backed away in disbelief.
“I, I. You-” I looked around at the delirious crowd and back at the body, I tried to subtly get the attention of someone, the guards running towards the so-it-seemed dead man and myself. A loud clearing of the throat silenced the people. They all looked above the crying and mourning faces to see a perplexed and slightly annoyed Burke. I took out the string from my pocket and fiddled with it instinctively.
“I see no reason why you people would fret so much over one many. Look at how many there are of you. Did any of you know him? I think not, as so I was saying-”
A quivering hand arose from the back of the audience. I turned to see the crowd part ways for a young woman and toddler boy. She was of about 35 and with hair like ebony and glasses seemingly just as thick rimmed as Michael. The boy’s hair brown and pale skinned as the man from the balcony. Tears streaming down her face and the toddler peering at the body confused. Recognition crossed his face but he simply stood by the leg of the woman. She dropped her hand, her arm swinging limply by the boy, without purpose.
“That man you are so casually dismissing was my brother. My only brother. The last of my family! This here is his son, without a mother and now without a father. You have no authority to continue with this.” Burke looked at the woman.
“Are you related by same mother and father?”
The woman looked taken-aback.
“Yes, but that isn’t important! He is lying-”
She was cut off by Burke with the raise of a hand and the slight turn of the head.
“Actually Miss, it is of my authority and it is of importance. We will all see you soon.” The Guard standing next to the body rushed to her and picked up the boy. He looked at the man adorned in black, and back at the woman. He began to struggle and reached out to the woman from afar. He babbled and started to cry, reaching out again and kicking under the embrace of the guard.
“Micah! No! Micah! No. No! Let go of me! Micah remember to eat!” It seemed as an odd order but the baby suddenly stopped screaming and gulped air as he nodded profusely. The woman was also taken through the exit, where all the other Carriers left.
“Well, great. I’ll deal with all of this later.
Burke appeared quite stressed now.
“That was a bit of a nuisance. Now, who’s next, eh?” Burke rummaged around on the balcony but came up empty handed. He looked down at the body and saw the paper in the man’s hand.
He seemed annoyed.
“Excuse me? You down there next to my former associate.” He addressed one of the guards. He turned in the attention of Burke and stood awaiting his command.
“Ah, yes, can you please retrieve the paper in Mr. Michael’s hand. Oh, much obliged.”
He was handed the paper, not minding whatsoever that it had been in the hands of a man he had killed in a sense.
“Let’s continue….”  He unfolded it and turned up his nose, reading under his breath.
“Do we have a…”
He looked up.
“Grey Reynolds?” The string fell limp in my hand, but I still had enough consciousness not to drop it. I held my breath, wanting to let go of the air, but I couldn’t. I stood in the middle of the pathway with a breath still in my throat and my eyes clouded. I heard the voice of a struggling child, I turned to see Caleb running toward me but his path was intercepted by multiple guards. He screamed my name once, twice, and so on. But I couldn’t hear. They took Caleb along through the doors. The world around me seemed hushed. As if it were holding its breath just as I was. My hands stopped shaking, adrenaline running fast through my veins. Two guards in black rushed towards me. One took hold of my motionless hand and shoulder as I stood and walked away from the body.
I stared back and him, and he winked back at me.