Overlevende | Teen Ink

Overlevende

By LJhunter, Springville, Utah
LJhunter, Springville, Utah

Hi my name is Alex, this is a story about my life… well one week that changed it all. My family and I are farmers in year 1000 A.N. (A.N. means after nuke)  we were like that perfected family like you would see on tv or something. America got nuked in year 2020, the nuke landed in Miami Florida.
Only people in the north west of America survived but with bad radiation poison. So all animals are mutated, so cows are three headed. Back to what happened to me.
When I was ten, my mom and dad disappeared one night when we all were asleep. So it is only me and my younger sister Izabell. Then one night six years later she went missing. She was taken by Stropers are ones who don’t care for others, they will kill you over the smallest things. They steal everything you have. So we need to watch out for them.
  I need to find Izabell. So I started my journey and not long after I found a dog. Not a normal dog it has two heads. Around his left head there was an amulet that God dropped  with the atom bomb. It has a ton of different powers at random every time you put it on.  I  named the dog Tucker.  Tucker and I went on the journey to get Izabell back.

We started by going through the Grand Canyon. I found a 308. Bolt action rifle with a box of a hundred rounds for it. There were a few radflys(oversized flys) one tried to sting me so Tucker ripped it apart. There was a few radrats(also oversized). We made it out of the canyon all right. Then came night time so Tucker and I found shelter. Night is when the bad stuff comes out such as biters. Biters are  humans that have really bad radiation poisoning. We ran into a pack of them, there were five in that pack. One jumped on me it and my gun fell out of me hand Tucker pulled it off of me. Then I put the amulet one and they all ran away from me because I turned into a Deathromer. A Deathromer is a giant alligator mixed with a bear that can walk on only two legs. Ya scary I know.        
  I ran into a trader along my journey, her name is Emily. She said she saw Izabell handcuffed to a Stroper and that they were heading to Mount Jones.  So Tucker and I started heading that way. We ran into a Stroper outpost. This time the amulet made me invisible so we could sneak around them just fine. When we were sneaking around I took a bullet proof vest and handgun. They will help us along are journey to the mountain to get Izabell back.
We got a few miles closer to  mount Jones. For dinner Tucker and I ate radrat meat, which gave us a little bit of radiation poisoning pore Tucker. When I was cooking it Tucker’s tail would not stop waging. Then Tucker and I played ball for an hour or so. In the middle of the night I woke up to Tucker barking at something. So I found out it was a Deathromer! I started shooting it, Tucker and I won, we killed it. Then I looked at Tucker and he's bleeding real bad, the Deathroamer clawed Tucker down his side. One hour after that, Tucker past away.
I tried to use the amulet to bring Tucker back to life but it wouldn’t work. I tried for hours and hours, it still didn’t work. The amulet wouldn’t let me bring him back to life. So I buried him under a tree, and carved his name on it using my pocket knife that my father gave me before he went missing. I paid my respects and then started back on my journey like Tucker would have wanted.
After several days of walking I was very tired and hungry, I felt something on my shoulder, IT WAS TUCKER! Was I hallucinating or was it real? I shook my head and he was gone… I need some rest and food! I guess I dozed of because the next thing I knew I was getting dragged by some animal I look around, im at mount Jones. BAM!! There was a gunshot, the animal dropped me. The gunshot came from a stroper, BAM!! Another gunshot I get to cover then I feel a burning feeling in my arm I got shot i’m bleeding I will live it’s not that bad. “Die you scum” the stroper yells at me. I shoot back at him POW! POP! BAM! I hit him. He had an steun(steun means aid) pack I patch up my arm I didn't do the best job but it will have to do for now. I hide until nightfall, finley came so I going to sneak in to mount Jones.
I got in without being seen it was weird there was no one there where were they? I keep going as sneaky as I could I still could not see anyone maybe they are farther in the cave. I see a flash of light from a torch or something so I start heading that way. Little do I know soon I will find out where they all are. After a little bit of walking I hear yelling and crying, IT’S IZABELL! I found her! I hide as quick as I can then I hear one yell at me “Stop hiding you coward.” I stand up slowly as the stropers take my guns. “Why did you come here?” the lead stroper yells at me.
I say “To save my sister.”
I’m not going to lie I was scared. I look around I see Izabell, they put here in a cage. He saw the alamut he said “Give me the alamute and she lives.”
I thought it was perfect so I handed him it.
“You thought it would be that easy.” BANG!
All I know is one of us died...