The Last Day On Earth: Hunt | Teen Ink

The Last Day On Earth: Hunt

January 24, 2018
By Killerworm990, Cupertino, California
More by this author
Killerworm990, Cupertino, California
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments

March 17, 2019

“Guess we got lucky” I said to the group as a soldier led us into the bunker.
“State your names” Overseer Joe said.
Overseer Joe was well, the Bunker Overseer. He was tall, wearing brand new  Military Armor. He had a beard, and looked intimidating.
“Sam Long” I said.
“The immune?” He said. “Meet me in my office. Jack will take care of you”
I immediately followed him.
“There is a secret bunker” he said in his office. “Bunker Zulu. You are told it is hidden in the Atlantic, but it is actually underground in Kansas”
“Yeah, so” I said back.
“You will be moved there”
“Wait, What?”
“Yes. Your friends will not be moved there. You will be stationed there for the rest of your life. Unless you are on military business, you will be killed if you leave”
“I won’t go” I said.
Joe held a gun to my face.
“At least let me say goodbye”
“Okay. We will let you do that”
March 18, 2019
I stood still in the hangar. Jack moved my stuff onto the plane and got into the pilot’s seat. I walked over to Max.
“Bye Sam” he said.
“Bye Max, take care of Michael for me”
“Okay”
I walked over to Michael.
“Bye Michael” I said.
“Bye Sam” Michael told me.
“Max will take care of you”
I walked over to Megan. Before I could say anything, she ran up to me and hugged me. Then she let go. I went up to the plane. I sat down and took one last look at them. Then the plane took off.
 

The plane landed in the hangar. I looked around and saw soldiers doing training drills.
“Welcome to Bunker Zulu” Jack said.
I grabbed my stuff and Jack led me to my room. It was nice. It had a bunk bed, with a desk on the bottom bunk. A brand new MacBook Pro sat on the desk. A closet sat across the room. A TV sat inside the closet. A rack of DVD’s stood near it. There was coat hanger on the door.
“It’s nice” I said.
“Training begins tomorrow” Jack said. “We’ll give you the schedule in the morning. The computer has games for download, and a communication system so you can talk with your friends”
Even though it was nice, I knew I had to escape. I’d rather die free than live under control. For now, given that it was 2:15 PM, I’d watch a movie. So I walked over to the DVD rack and looked for a movie. I settled on Indiana Jones. I sat on the floor and began watching it.
That night, at 6:00 PM, I was called to dinner. Ramen and Mountain Dew.
At 11: PM, an hour after lights out, I got dressed and grabbed my stuff. I grabbed my MacBook Pro, too.  I snuck along the hallway to the hangar. There were no soldiers. Then I realized, where was I going to go? Texas. Maybe I might find a militia or something. I pulled the lever that opened the hangar. The alarms rang and I got into a helicopter. I turned it on and flew out of the hangar as fast as possible. Soldiers ran at me and fired their M4s at me. I closed the c***pit. The MI-24 helicopter was fast and maneuverable. I flew south towards Oklahoma. I relaxed as The helicopter glided through the air.

“Where am I” I asked.
“Texas” a voice answered.
I opened my eyes. A man stood in front of me. He had a Benelli M4.
“What’s your name” he asked.
“Sam”
“Where are you from?”
“California”
“You came from the north”
“Yeah. I’m immune. The military sent me to Bunker Zulu”
“The secret Bunker?”
“Yeah. It’s in Kansas”
“We’ll take you back”
“No. I’m an escapee. If I return, they’ll kill me. End of story”
At Bunker Zulu, Overseer Zack was furious. He sent out troop transports to California, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Texas.
In Texas, I got out of bed. I was wearing my jeans, t-shirt and socks. I slipped on my shoes. The man gave me my Glock 19.
“Where’s my AR-15?” I asked.
“We found one at the wreck. It was snapped in half”
“Can I get a new weapon?”
“Sure”

March 19, 2019

At Bunker Charlie, Max received news that I had escaped Bunker Zulu.
“Why would he do that?” Max asked.
“That’s what we’re trying to figure out” Overseer Joe said. “And you’re going to help us”
“Yes sir”
In Texas, the helicopter’s computer beeped. I was over San Antonio. My destination was west of that. I turned the helicopter. A little while later, I heard gunshots. Then, the helicopter started dropping. I ejected myself and flew out of the c***pit. I released the parachute and slowly fell to the ground.
“He’s alive. And he’s a kid”.
I heard voices everywhere.

On the way to the armory, I asked what his name was.
“Matt”
“You look… Familiar. Are you Matt from Demo Ranch?”
“Yeah”
At the armory, I looked around. I saw an FN SCAR. I picked it up.
“Is it the heavy or the light version?” I asked.
Matt held the gun.
“It’s the light version”
Matt handed it back to me. I loaded it and grabbed some extra ammo.
Out at the wreck, I looked around.
“Why did you use a Russian Helicopter?” Matt asked.
“The US Army must be desperate”
Then I heard troop transports in the air.
“They must see the wreck” I told Matt.
We ran for cover. The troop transport landed.
 

“How far are we from the base?” I whispered to Matt.
“About ten miles” Matt whispered back.
Five soldiers walked out. I raised my SCAR. Matt raised his Benelli M4.i signaled 1...2...3… with my hands. We opened fire. The 12 gauge solid slugs and 7.62mm Rounds practically tore the soldiers apart. Matt and I ran into the transport and shot the pilot. I shot the controls until they just shut off.
At Bunker Zulu, Jack ran into Overseer Zack’s office.
“We’ve just lost Control with the T-25 transport” Jack said.
“Send all transports to its last location” Zack ordered.
Jack went to the Control room.
“Send all transports to Texas” Jack ordered. “Within a Two Hundred mile radius of San Antonio”
In Texas, Matt and I headed back to the base. The base was basically a group of houses surrounded by a twenty foot high concrete wall. Matt’s house was the center of operations. We made orders to all outside squads and sent out radio messages. There was a hospital, which had bedrooms that the injured would stay in. There were others, but those were the most important. Matt and I headed to the center of operations. Then a guard burst in.
“Troop transports coming in from the northwest” he said.
“Hold your fire” Matt ordered. “Shoot if they land”
“Yes Sir”
The guard left.
“I’m going to my room” I said.
“No” Matt stopped me. “Prep the tanks”
I went down to the garage, where there was an M1 Abrams and a Chieftain. Both were giant tanks. I climbed into the Abrams and looked for a shell.
“Crap” I muttered.
I found a shell and loaded it into the chamber. Then I heard gunfire come from one of the guard posts. I grabbed my SCAR and ran out. A troop transport was landing. I ran out there.
At Bunker Zulu, they looked through the camera’s.
“It’s Sam” Jack said.
“FOCUS ALL FIREPOWER TO THE KID!” Jack yelled over the radio to the soldiers. The soldiers all fired in my direction as I dove for a piece of scrap metal. I reloaded and shot down several soldiers. The 7.62 Rounds made my shoulder hurt. I slung it and pulled out my Glock. Meanwhile, several guards ran at the soldiers and distracted them. I sprinted for the garage. I climbed into the Chieftain and tried to turn it on. I succeeded and drove at the soldiers. I dodged the guards and began to run over the soldiers. I managed to defeat them all. Several more transports came.
“Looks like they want to join the party” I said.
I stopped the tank and loaded in a shell. I climbed up into the gunner’s seat and aimed at an oncoming transport.
“Welcome to the party” I said.
I fired the shell and the transport blew up, so it must have hit the fuel tank.
“Three more” I said to Matt over the radio.
I loaded in a second shell and shot another one. But the other two landed. Guards ran at them. Most of the soldiers were killed, but we took some prisoners.

March 20, 2019

In the morning, Matt and I analyzed the damage done to the walls. No areas were blown through, but there had been chunks taken out of parts of the wall. We could still move on though. We checked the troop transports, only two of which worked. We looked at the number of men we had. Counts came in at 150.
“We’ve got enough to go to Bunker Zulu” I told Matt. “but it’ll be risky”
“It’s worth a shot” Matt told me.
At Bunker Charlie, Max reported the news to Jack. “We’ve got drones in Texas” he said. “I’ve been monitoring them. We need to defend Bunker Romeo”.
Max had lied to Jack. He had made a move that sent all forces to Bunker Romeo, when in fact, they needed to defend Bunker Zulu.
Bunker Zulu
It was almost midnight. Matt had sent me with a group of scouts from our shelter in a nearby town to Bunker Zulu.
“This is really weird” I told Matt over my radio. “there’s nobody there”
“I’ll send more forces at daybreak” Matt responded.
March 21, 2019
I woke up to tanks rolling in around me. It was Matt and the rest of his men. I got ready and climbed on a tank. We arrived at Bunker Zulu. We rolled over the defenses. I got out and ran in. I Went down the elevator to see soldiers hanging in the lobby. I shot down multiple as the others ran for cover. Two went nuts with the RPG and almost killed me. I got up and shot them. One radioed for reinforcements. I shot him. Matt came up from behind me.
“There’s reinforcements coming” I told him.
Matt and I ran back to find helicopters shooting down our men. Several were running away. Matt and I took cover. Matt radioed to them.
“GO BACK TO THE SHELTER!” he yelled over the radio. But then, A helicopter came in and began shooting the other ones. Our soldiers came back and took them out. The last helicopter landed. The pilot came out. Max.
“MAX!” I yelled.
“That was the last of them” Max said. “The rest were sent to Bunker Romeo. I tricked the guys into sending all troops to Bunker Romeo. I saved your guys’s butts”
“Yeah, thanks”
“They should be turning here pretty soon. We need to get a move on”
“Okay, just a sec”
I turned to all of the men.
“COME ON” I yelled. “LET’S GO,LETS GO!”
All of the men got into the vehicles and began tying down all of the supplies.
 

March 22, 2019

The militia and I were heading back to Texas. Apparently, reinforcements from Bunker Romeo were heading to Texas. Their vehicles were a lot faster and more powerful than ours, so we crossed paths in Dallas. It started with two Apache helicopters flying over when we were going around the city. The helicopters began to surround us and began firing their machine guns. The Tanks absorbed the 7.62 rounds, and most had the crew mostly injured. I fired my SCAR at the pilot of one, which caused it to crash into one of the M1 Abrams tanks, where I had to dive in order to make it. I fired more at the co pilot. I took control of one of the trucks and began driving into the city.
“WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING?” Matt yelled over the radio.
“Setting a trap. Shoot at the helicopter” I answered.
Matt ordered the gunner of the chieftain to fire at the Apache. The helicopter crashed into the bed of the truck. I dove from the seat and ran back to the men.
“We’ve got 102 men” Matt told me. “Three were killed in the shootout, 45 at Bunker Zulu”
“We should head into the city” Max told us. “ We could lose em’ there and then head home”
“Good idea” I responded. “How about you, Matt?”
“We could try” Matt said.
We switched out the injured crew members and put them in the ambulances. Our fleet, now five trucks, four tanks, a bus, and two ambulances, headed into the city. We had the tanks in front, so they could run over the abandoned cars for us. We took the rest of the day to leave Dallas and head to the colony.
March 23, 2019
We reached the gates of the colony, which were immediately opened for us. We could only imagine what the future would hold for us. Bunker Zulu had been destroyed, but Bunker Romeo and Bunker Charlie still remained, not to mention Bunker Delta and Bunker Foxtrot.
 

March 25, 2019

Yesterday, we had organized a force of 50 men to invade Bunker Charlie, with 52 to defend home.
“I’ll stay here” Matt said when we went over the plan. “Sam, you explain”
“Max knows Bunker Charlie inside and out” I told everyone. “He’ll know where to go. This time, we don’t only destroy Bunker Charlie. This is a rescue mission. We get Mark and his daughter Rachel, then we get Megan, Michael, and my dogs. Their pictures are up on the screen”
I showed a picture of everyone on the screen.
“Find these people, and once they’re all out, we will destroy the Bunker. I’ll use C4 to blow up the main reactor, then I’ll leave and we’ll discuss Bunker Romeo”

March 26, 2019

We flew troop transports from The California Coast out to Bunker Charlie.
“Machine guns, online” one soldier reported.
“Rockets, online” another reported.
“Good” I told them. Let’s prepare to land”
We began the landing process, which consisted of preparing the landing gear, opening the back, and finding a flat area. Once we landed,  we began charging at the bunker. About thirty men were killed when we charged at the bunker. Once we reached it, soldiers reported to the armory. I found Rachel in the hangar. She ran up to me. She picked up an M4A1 off the ground and joined Max and I.
“I know where everyone else is” she told me. We all ran to the bunks, where Mark, Michael, Megan, and the dogs were.
“Come on” I said.
Michael and Megan came first, Megan put the leashes on the dogs. We all ran out of the bunker, but Overseer Zack stood in our way. He pulled out a Desert Eagle and pointed it at my head. But Mark came and shot Zack to the ground, wielding an M249 SAW. We all ran for the troop transport.
“We’ve only got fifteen men left” a soldier said to me.
“Let’s go” Max said.
“Wait” I told him. “I need to get the C4 on the reactor”
I grabbed some C4 from a table and ran at the building. But as soon as I reached the Bunker, a soldier jumped at me. He punched me to the point where I fell unconscious.
 


I woke up.
“Ughh…” I groaned. “Where am I?”
“Bunker Foxtrot” a man said. “The Military used to run this place. But we got it. Killed all of the soldiers. The forces of the militia invading Bunker Charlie were almost completely decimated, aside from Max, the pilots of the transports, and the gunners of the transports, making nine guys”
“I… need to get back… to… Texas” I responded, just before I fell unconscious.

April 3, 2019

I woke up again. I was in a bedroom. My stuff was beside me. My SCAR, my Glock, my Machete, my Backpack. I got up and stumbled over to a mirror. There was a large bandage over my head. I stumbled out the door and down the hallway. The man came out.
“Get back to your room” he said. Then I fell unconscious again.


April 9, 2019

I felt strangely well today. The man came into the room.
“You’re awake” he said. “You’ve been asleep for twelve days, waking up and falling asleep twice”
“Can I get back to Texas?” I asked. “
“Sure. We can get you a flight back”
I grabbed my stuff and ran over to the hangar.
“Where are we?” I asked. “
“Virginia” the man answered.
I walked into a helicopter.
“Where’s the pilot?” I asked.
“Meet Alex” the man said. Alex walked up to me,
“Alex?” I asked.
“He’s from Michaelstown, California”
“So am I” I said.
Alex walked up to me.
“Nice seeing you again, Alex”
“You too, Sam” he said.
Alex climbed into the pilot’s seat. I climbed into the co pilot’s seat, and we left.

April 10, 2019

When we landed in Texas, the colony was destroyed. All the buildings, destroyed. Everything was gone. Corpses littered the ground.
“MAX!” I yelled. “MATT, MEGAN, MICHAEL, MARK, ANYONE!”
Riley, my dog, ran up to me. I pet her. She led Alex and I to a cellar, where all of the survivors were. Max walked up to me.
“The war’s lost, man” he said.
“Where’s Michael, Mark, Megan, Rachel?”
“Mark got shot, Rachel’s here, but Michael and Megan are missing”
Rachel came out.
“We’ve got to search for them” I said.
We grabbed a jeep and some supplies, and headed out on the road. They had told us that Michael and Megan had headed west, hoping to reach a suitable shelter. We drove west, taking every road back to Michaelstown, as Max suggested that we head there. We ran into them in New Mexico. We pulled up to a Subaru, similar to the one my grandma had before the outbreak. I got out and looked at it. It was somewhat clean inside. I looked in the trunk. Food, water, and other supplies were packed in there neatly. Then I heard the click of a hammer.
“Get on your knees with your hands in the air” a voice yelled.
Max, Rachel, and I followed.
“Turn around” the voice ordered.
Max, Rachel, and I turned around.
“Sam!” the man yelled .
“Dad!” I yelled.
My dad and I hugged.
“Where’s everyone else?” I asked.
“They’re in that house over there” my dad said as he pointed at an old house on the side of the road.
In the house, my dad lead all of us in. My sister, Lily, and her best friend Caitlyn, and Caitlyn’s dad, Jay were playing a board Game.
Lily looked up from her game. My other sister, Emily, was sleeping on the couch. The room was filled with light because the window was open.
“Sam!” Lily yelled. She ran up to me and hugged me.
“Woah Lily” I responded. “My head isn’t doing too good”
Jay looked up. “What happened, Sam?” He asked.
“I got beat up at Bunker Zulu”
“Ouch”
I sat down next to mom.
“So, Sam” she said. “Where were you all this time?”
“Remained in Michaelstown for about six months, was forced to leave, and since then I’ve been to Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Texas, Kansas, Oregon, Idaho, And Virginia”
“Where are you living now?”
“A colony in Texas. The military attacked it because they were trying to get to me because of my Immunity. A few of my group members went missing, so we’re searching for them”
Max, Rachel, and Alex walked in. Max had the dogs on leash.
“Marley!” Lily Yelled. “Riley!”
Lily and Caitlyn ran up to the dogs and began petting them. Alex closed the door and let the dogs off leash.
“We need to get moving, possibly back to Michaelstown”
“We should stay and rest” Max replied. “Then get going in the morning”
 

April 11, 2019


In the morning, my mom picked up Emily. Max brought the dogs while the rest of us carried the supplies up to the cars. Jay drove a sedan with the kids in it. My mom drove the SUV with a Emily in it. My dad drove his truck with the dogs in it, and my group drove our Jeep. We passed through Arizona and into California, being forced to refill gas several times. Eventually, we reached home. The windows were boarded up.
“Somebody has definitely been here” I said.
With my gun raised, I headed in through the back. Alex and Jay stayed behind with the cars. My dad, Max, Rachel, and I went for the house. My dad picked the lock. I went into his shop. Max went with me, while Rachel went with dad. I felt the seat on my dirt bike.
“Still nice” I said. “Doesn’t need any repairs”.
The shop was empty. Max and I entered through the back door. Megan and Michael were hiding under the tables.
“There you are” I said. “We need to get back to Texas”
“But the Colony got destroyed” Megan said.
“Still, it’s our best shot”
 

April 13, 2019

We returned to find the colony even more destroyed. We checked the cellar, only Matt was left.
“I’m done for” Matt said. “A forty-five ACP to the chest is more than enough to kill a guy”
“What happened?” I asked.
“They came in for another air strike. Do me a favor and run for the woods. There’s a guy named Bobby who lives twenty miles northeast. He might be willing to take people in”
I walked away from Matt, who had just passed out. I grabbed my SCAR and my backpack. I walked back to the truck.
“Matt is still alive, but he’s dying” I told everyone.
“Anything else?” Matt asked.
“We’re still breathing, and there’s a guy twenty miles northeast named Bobby who might be willing to help us”
We arrived at Bobby’s later that morning. There was a guy in jeans and military body armor who was cutting wood planks outside. He had a shotgun slung over his shoulder. He looked up. He looked about twenty or twenty-one.
“Who are you?” He asked.
“Sam Long” I answered. “We come from the colony in a Texas. The military sent another air strike. Matt’s Dead, And we’re the last survivors. You think you can help us?”
“I can give you shelter. There’s a few extra bedrooms in this little fortress of mine”
“You have that all to yourself?” I asked.
“My girlfriend’s in there, but it’s just us”
I nodded. Bobby waved us forward and brought us to the bunks. I tossed my stuff on the top bunk. Max took the bunk below me. Megan took the top bunk of the bed across the room. Michael took the bed below her. I put my SCAR on the top bunk. Then I went back outside.
“You Guys should take a shower” Bobby said. “It’s probably been a while since you’ve had one of those”
I went back and found the bathroom across the hall. I took my shower and went back to the bunks. I took a nap.
At dinner, I went out and sat on the roof, looking out at the forest. Megan sat right next to me.
“You know” I said. “Bobby sounds kind of familiar”
“What kind of familiar?” Megan asked.
“Like a YouTuber from before all of this. He looks similar and sounds familiar. I’ll ask after dinner to verify”
After dinner, I found Bobby taking inventory of his armory.
“Hey, Bobby” I said.
“Yeah” Bobby responded.
“What did you do before all of this?” I asked.
“College Student. Made a living off of Of Youtube”
“What channel name?”
“Starsnipe”
“That’s why you sound familiar. I was a huge fan”
“Fellow member of the Choppa Squadron, nice”
“Yeah. Nice to meet my favorite YouTuber, even after the end of the world. I could really use a Shotgun Rain shirt right about now”
I walked back to the bedroom.
“I guess I’ll call him Starsnipe, cause’ that’s who he is” I told my friends.


THE END

   
 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.