Under the rain | Teen Ink

Under the rain

By MckennaK, West LInn, Oregon
MckennaK, West LInn, Oregon

Author's note:

I was inspired to write this piece because I strongly believe in freedom and getting to live your life the way you please and that everyone deserves that right. The main character has a little bit of myself in her. I wanted to portray a situation where someone had a choice that affected there life and it was between living freely with risks or being stuck in a boring life with the same tight boundarys. 

Under the rain
The leaves that crunched  beneath my bare feet as I ran would be the death of me. I looked back to see them still after me, chasing me through the crowded woods. I looked around me where was I, everywhere tall skinny trunked trees hovered over me, The empty branches above  me withered away missing the dead leaves that now  littered the ground. White and green moss climbed the trees to the very top surrounding and consuming the tree as a whole. Everywhere I stepped tall green grass was beneath me and the leaves lingered on the ground making it hard for me to get away  screaming and moaning with every crunch. The sky was already a dark gray but I saw it began to fade to a midnight blue night was coming and it was coming fast . I looked back once more to  see them far behind me I looked up fast enough to see the fallen tree by my feet as I tumbled over it. Everything was a blur I scanned the area,  behind the tree stood the confused chasers stopped in there tracks wondering where I went. I ducked back down and under the tree saw them  continue to run the opposite way of  where my body lie.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My mom  began to struggle with the kitchen floorboards jabbing the knife under and up trying to drive them out of place. “Taylor help me with this now you have to pull as hard as you can”, she said trying to conceal the fear and worry that began to overrun her. “I’m  trying”, I yelled  knowing any minute they would be here and if I wasn't under those floorboards I would be dead. She finally pushed hard enough and they were up I gave her a everything will be fine smile. I crouched under the six boards that held a small ditch underneath just big enough so I could fit inside for, every first monday of every month when the regulators would be out to kill the people just like me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I woke with a start to the cloudy black sky beginning to sit up my head pounding I raised my hand to my head to  find the sticky dried blood that clung to my scalp. As I was becoming more aware to my surroundings, soon realizing  this dead forest was alive. The wind howled loudly, animal noises surrounded every  space of sound there was no calm stillness  just noise and life. Once I stood up I realized a cave off the right by a nearby stream thinking my head must have been hit pretty hard not to remember it. Beginning  to make my way over there every step shot a sharp pain through my foot and up my right leg. Immediately after entering the cave my legs collapsed and I went into the the dirt wincing  at the throbbing pain my leg constantly held.Footsteps were approaching the cave and I saw the shadow  the moon casted of a person I quickly scooted to  the back of the shallow cave hopeful the dark would conceal me.  “She’s in here”,  someone yelled as they turned the corner. Looking straight through me, the eyes that look like black pits began to tear me to pieces with an anger filled stare. “ Don’t move stay calm or I will be forced to used my weapon”, he said with a strong stern voice as he began walking toward me . I already knew they were going to kill me why else would they be after me. Just then a huge explosion sounded near the cave and the rocks began to tumble over the mouth of the cave until we were completely shut in.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I heard the sharp knock on the door and my heart began to beat out of my  chest soon they would be standing right over me. The regulators walked straight in i could hear their footsteps in rhythm and I knew the time was exactly 2:00 when they would make their round to our house. Above me stood my mother my father and my older brother Adam  waiting to be scanned. “Adam rainer number 5672 he’s documented” I heard one regulator shout to another my heart pumped as I knew what was next they needed to search the house. Once there authorized search concluded they said the same thing every time “Thank you for your contribution you have been reminded of the consequences of breaking rule number 421 only one child allowed per family unit.” I heard the door swing shut and let out a shaky breath, I felt the tears began to sting my eyes. My family stood up there starting to pry up the floorboards as I stay down here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think about it all the time, how I’m a mistake a screw up. It hurts today more than usual, his words running around in circles in my head on child per family, Adam who is a year older than me occupies that spot. I see them all leave the house everyday to carry out their lives while I stay here I’m not supposed to leave, hell i'm not supposed to be alive population control is our number one most important rule punishable by death. To me and my entire family.
I always knew I would die before my eighteenth birthday I couldn’t leave my house constantly needed  to stay hidden I knew eventually they would find me and kill me or I would get sick of hiding and do it myself. I have only  really been outside a couple of times sometimes I sneak out at night hoping it will give me what I miss during the day but deep down I know  it never will. What I really crave is to feel the heat of  day, the sun on my skin being  able to smell the forest and the feeling of rain and that was never something I thought would be possible until today. Well it can’t be anymore because now I sit in a dark cave surrounded by dust, running out of oxygen while one of the people who wants me dead sits a mere 3 feet away. “ What happened  “, I heard him say next to me he  had just woken up not having to suffer feeling of pain I had for the past four hours he had been unconscious. I ignored him and took my black hoodie off ripping at the sleeve until it came off clean I tied it around my calf where a rock had been lodged to stop the bleeding. After I didn’t answer he fell quiet we didn’t speak we both knew what had happened and that neither of us were getting out.  I could feel the oxygen growing thinner as i drew in a breath he began to cough and I realized  we both started feeling the affects. We both were dying.
My mom grabbed my hand pulling me out of the ditch and pulled me into a tight hug her hand pushing my messy blonde hair out of my face. Tears filled her sad green eyes and she held me out in front of her like she could never get enough. “I’m sorry I just can’t do this anymore I need to live and this isn't living”, I whimpered looking up at her. She nodded and kissed my head. I began to grab my prepacked bag hidden behind the couch but she pulled me back into a hug. “You deserve the world taylor it’s your turn to live.” She gave me a teary eyed smile I said goodbye and walked out the back door into the forest. I didn’t look back.
The rain fell gently  it started out a small couple drops here and there and grew into sharp knocks as the heavy drops hit the pavement any sane person would stay inside safe from the rain free to leave when it finished. I wanted, needed to leave i've Never felt the rain the outside air I don't know how long i can continue this life . I opened my window and kicked out the screen a smile widened across my face as the fresh cold air came inside . I felt the air and blew my hair back  but it wasn't enough I looked out my window to see if anyone was near by when I saw no one I slipped out the window. The rain came falling hard and within seconds I was soaked with water the rain was sharp and the cold outside made me shiver I was freezing and wet and it was uncomfortable but it was everything I ever dreamed of. I felt myself laugh and spin around as it continued to fall on me. The door to my big white house opened with such force it dented the outside pillar.“Taylor get inside now”, I heard my mom's scared voice. I ran up to the window where i came out and pulled myself up and in my back slammed against the wall leaving a bruise.  I was breathing hard and my pulse was racing the heat inside hit me fast and hard the exhilaration of the cold was gone.
The air was getting very difficult to breathe I yelled over to the guy next to me but he was already passed out, he wasn't getting enough oxygen. I got up and shuffled to the wall of rocks in front of me and began banging on the wall. My screams echoed through the small cave as I sunk to the ground I wouldn't cry even if this was my last day on earth I would sure as hell fight until it was over. I pounded on the rocks until my fists were dripping with streams of red blood my knuckles were purple and i knew some of my fingers were broken. I was about to shove my fist into another pile of rocks until they all started crumbling to the ground. The light hit me fast I covered my face and stepped out into it spread my arms wide and yelled with joy. “Taylor Rainer hands on your head, get down on your knees and don’t move.” An angry voice slapped me in the face. I got down and he brought his scanner over to my face. Citizen not valid the scanner repeated he smirked at me and pointed his gun to my head. “I’m guessing you know the consequence for this”, he said sternly.I looked toward my house not to far from here I heard gunshots and screams then silence. Tears rushed down my face my eyes red and blotchy “So what now you going to kill me too”, I said angrily . He put his gun to my head  I stood up fast and tried to smack it out of hands but he pinned me down the cold steel head quickly shoved right back up against my temple. I looked up for a second The sky was turning from black to blue and the rain began to fall hard over us. He put his clip in his shiny revolver with one hand the other used to keep me down with all his body weight. The rain began to fall faster and my frown turned to a small smile tears ran down my cheeks, once again the gun returned to my head I kept my eyes fixed on the sky and-