Into the storm | Teen Ink

Into the storm

January 3, 2018
By LRW2323, Berkeley , California
More by this author
LRW2323, Berkeley , California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I was inspred by the TV show The Flash, and by the idea that there is an infinite amount of Earths in the multiverse.

Chapter one: The Beginning
Earth 3, 9;30 am
I awoke to the sound of dronge hitting the window. We were in the middle of a dronge storm, and no one is allowed outside until the storm ends. I get out of bed and put on my fuzzy bunny slippers. I walk down stairs to the smell of coffee.
“Good morning Rory!” my mom says with a hug. Her warm smell envelops me like a warm winter blanket. She hands me a mug and asks me how I slept.
“ Did you have any interesting dreams?”
“ Just one. Me and Nico went back in time to meet our ancestors! It was super cool. I got to meet Grandma Starr, Grandpa George, and Nico’s Grandma Nia.”
By the way, Nico Gale has been my best friend since……. Forever. Our moms met when they were pregnant with us and they became super good friends. We were born on the same day, at the same hospital, an hour apart!
“ Well that sound fun!” my mom says as she flips a pan waffle.
“ Yah, it was cool.”
Just then my big, fluffy dog Moonstar comes tumbling down the stars and give me a big kiss on the check. She is always happy to see me in the morning. She is also- unlike me-  a total morning person. As I get a cloth to wipe of all the dog slobber, my mom puts my pan waffle on the table.
“ Looks like school will be cancelled again today!” I say through a mouthful of waffle. “ I wish Nico could come over. I’m tired of having to beam with her instead.”
“ You know if anyone goes outside, they would die. Would you rather not have Nico come over, or her be dead!” Mom scolds
“ MOOOOOM! Don’t say that!” I hate it when she says things like that. She’s so literal.
After I finish my waffle, I walk upstairs, so I can keep working on my dronge storm suit. There is a contest that I am entering to see who can create a working dronge storm suit. The Supreme Leader is looking for a suit that can keep out the toxic dronge dust,which  at first will probably be used for just research purposes, but eventually will be used for everyday use. I pick up the helmet that I have been working on and start to fiddle with the little section of dronge-proof glass that I have developed. I put the helmet in the air lock on my window and close the tiny door. I crank open the outer door and let the dust in. I let the helmet stay in the air lock for about five minutes and then I close the outer door and let the air purifier kick in. After another five minutes I open my side of the airlock to find that the dronge proof glass has not cracked! I have finally perfected my recipe!
“ Mom Mom Mom! I finally perfected my recipe for the drong proof glass!” I practically yell as I tumble down the stairs.
“ That’s great sweetie! What are you going to work on next? The gloves, boots, or the suit?”
“ I don’t know. What do you think I should work on next?” My mom is a scientist. She Has been working on a way to get to other earths, primarily earth one. They think that they can only open a portal to earth one during a dronge storm. She was the one that helped me install the airlock on my window.
“ I think you should start working on the gloves next. Then you get to develop the fabric that you will probably also use for the suit and the shoes to.”
“ Good idea Mom!”

Earth 3, 12:30 pm
“ Think, think, think, THINK!” I yell as I crumple up what seems to be my  thousandth piece of paper. I have been sitting at my desk for an hour trying to come up with a formula for my dronge proof fiber that I am going to weave into fabric. It also has to withstand the acid rain that comes with dronge dust. I have had nothing but bad formulas. I would normally ask my mom for help, but the rules say that you can’t ask a family member for help. I could beam Nico, but she is more of a designer, so it seems unreasonable to ask her for help. Then it comes to me, I should ask Janie for help. She is one of the best at this kind of thing and she isn’t in the contest so I can ask her for help.
I pick up my  beamer and type in my pass code, then I beam Janie. She picks up.
“ Hi!”
“Hi.” I say as I prop up my beamer.
“ So. What’s up? Have you talked to Nico lately? I haven’t. I miss her. How is your mom? Oh! How is the project going? Do you need any help?” she asks eagerly. There is one thing that I should have mentioned. Janie is a BIG talker.
“ Nothing much, I talked to Nico yesterday, I miss her to, my Mom is good, and the project is going well, I just perfected the dronge proof glass, and I called you for help.”
“ Well, spill.”
“ I have been having trouble getting the right formula for my dronge proof fabric. Do you have any ideas?”
“ Not now. But beam me tomorrow and I will probably have tons of ideas.”
“ Thanks. Beam tomorrow?”
“ You bet!” she says as she hangs up.
In the meantime I decide to work on an extendable arm. I want to put it into the body of my suit so it makes it easier to take samples of things. In each finger, I think that I am going to put different helpful things, like test tubes and maybe a knife. I start to fiddle with the fingers that I am working on. I am trying to decide how the fingers will oppen. Should they open from the side or the top? I think that it will be easier for them to open from the top, that way I won't have to install another- tiny- robotic arm. I chop of a piece of the gargantuan sheet of metal that I got from school. They gave me all the materials for this contest, which consisted of lots of different kinds of chemicals, metals, robotics, and various other things. Another thing about the contest is that we have to make everything from scratch, and if you are still school age, then the school will supply you with all the materials that you need. I begin to weld the metal into a tube, I attach a rotating metal plate to the bottom and connect the finger to the palm of the arm.  Then I get one of my spare screwdrivers and attach it to the inside of the finger and then I begin to weld another piece of metal into the tube. Finally I get a piece of rubber and shape it into a dome and place it on the very top of the finger. One down, four more to go.

Earth 3, 3:50 pm
“ Finally.” I say to myself as I stick on the last rubber dome. In all five fingers I put a screwdriver, a test tube, a knife, another test tube, and a mini shovel, but if  someone wanted other things in the fingers, they could be easily customized.
I walk down the stairs to have a late lunch/ dinner.
“ What is so interesting that you have been cooped up in there for, let’s see, about three hours and twenty minutes.” my mom says, annoyed.
“ Well, I was having trouble figuring out a formula for my dronge proof  fabric, so I beamed Janie and she said she didn’t have any ideas right now and to beam me tomorrow, and so then I worked on the robotic arm for the main part of the suit. I put a screwdriver, a test tube,  a knife, and a mini shovel in the fingers.”
“ Wow that is a lot of things to put into a robotic arm. What did you use a the tip of the fingers?”
“ I used rubber domes. And the way that you access the different tools is the top of the finger slides of.”
“ Smart. Did you add anything else?” she asks with an interested look on her face
“ Nope.”
“ Well, would you like some food?”
“ YES, I thought you would never ask” I said ravenously.
“ What do you want? I have peanut butter and the fancy bread that you like, if you don’t want that you could always have another pan waffle.”
“ PAN WAFFLE! PAN WAFFLE!” I yell.
“ Ok, ok, gosh you don’t have to be so loud.” my mom scolds.
After an awesome three pan waffles, I clambered up the stairs to read my book. It is SO good. It is about this girl that invents a time machine to go back in time to save her dead dad, just to come home to find out that everything was not how she left it. I just got to the part where she is traveling back home and when she gets back to her room, there is a strange little girl in her room and she finds out that the little girl is her younger sister. I just can’t wait to find out if she saved her dad. I pick up my book of my bedside table and sit in my giant, fuzzy chair and begin to read.
As I am reading, I begin to wonder how Nico is doing, so I pick up my beamer and beam her.
“ Hi! It’s nice to see you.” she says enthusiastically. She is wearing a silver and burgundy shirt, silver coils on her arms and in her hair, which is blue, by the way, silver ankle boots, and bright red pants. She is very stylish.
“ Hi! How’s a going?”
“ Good, just working on a project for design class. What about you?”
“ Oh, you know, working on my suit and reading. Oh yeah, I also talked to Janie.”
“ How is she? I haven’t talked to her in like a weak. Is she working on anything?” she asks
“ She seemed good. I don’t know if she is working on anything, although I did ask her for help on developing a formula for the dronge proof fabric, and I perfected my recipe for the dronge proof glass.”“ Oh really. That’s awesome, you’ve been working on that for like, what a month?” she asks.

“ Yup! I’m so happy that I finally got it done.” I say enthusiastically
“ Good! My mom is calling me, I have to go.”
“ Ok, bye.”
“ Bye.” she says as she hangs up

Earth 3, 10:00 pm
The next couple days are kind of a blur. Janie beams with an idea for a formula, I make a sample of the fabric and it works, leaving me not a lot of work left to do, I just have to make the shoes, and the oxygen system. By the time the suit is finished, it is a day before the contest, and I am as tired and hungry as a swimmer after a big meat. I go down stairs to tell mom that I finished the suit.
“ Mom Mom Mom Mom, I finished the suit!”
“ That’s awesome Rory! Can I come and see it?”
“ Yah, come on up!”
Another thing about the contest is all of the contestants have to test out their own suit, otherwise they are disqualified from the competition. My point is is that I made the suit custom fit for me. After I’m in my suit, she walks in and the look on her face is one that I will never forget. She looks amazed, proud, and interested all at the same time. While she is examining my suit, I have an idea. What if I tested out my moms prototype? For the portals to the other universe? I’d have to sneak down to her laboratory under the cover of darkness. The other thing is, I love my mom, but I really want to find out if there are other earths.
“ Oh Rory. That- that’s amazing.”
“ Well, we’ll just have to wait and see.”
As I step out of the suit, my excitement grows.
“ Ok mom. I love you.
“ I love you to. Now get some rest, you have a big day tomorrow.”
“ Good night Mom.”
“ Good night Rory”
I wait until I can hear her breath even out (When my mom sleeps, she breathes so loud), then I get out of bed as quietly as I can and tip toe down stairs. Once I am in her lab, It is not very hard to find the prototype. It is sitting in the middle of her lab, glowing.
“ Jackpot!” I whisper to myself, excited.
  I quietly tiptoe back up the stairs and into my room. I snap the prototype on to the arm of my suit and slowly climb into bed, trying again to not make any noise. I fall into a deep slumber. The only dream that I remember having is dreaming about is what Earth one would be like. Will they have pan waffles? If they don’t I don’t know what I would eat. Maybe I will just have to live of peanut butter. I hope not.

Earth 3, 5;00 am
I wake up bright and early so that I can have the traditional pan waffle before I go. Apparently the event is going to be broadcasted across the country. Mom will be coming with me, but Nico and Janie will hopefully be watching from their houses. As I walk down stairs in my suit, I give my mom a giant hug, which will maybe our last for a very long time. It is the first time I have been outside in days. The dronge storm stopped a couple days ago, but I’ve been working on my suit. We walk to the town square and I feel the adrenaline start to pump through my body. What if the suit malfunctions? What if I don’t make it through the portal and I fall into deep space? When I walk up the steps of the town hall, I notice that there are only two other contestants and all of their suits are way more bulkier than mine. I guess that they were trying to make their suits more functional than sleek, but with me on the other hand I was going for sleekness as well as functionality. As we walk into the outer simulation room, my mom starts to look at me funny.
“ What are you thinking Mom?”
“ Well I just want you to be careful, you know? I don’t want to lose my Rory.”
“ I love you Mom.”
“ I love you to. Good luck.”
As they call my name, I walk into the simulation room. It is a very clean, white room with circular walls. In the middle there is what looks like a small drain. I wonder what It is used for? Maybe to drain out the acid rain that comes with the dronge storms? The way the room works is they use actual dronge dust and acid rain to make it seem like an actual storm is happening. Since they can control it, it makes it way safer than if they just let us lose in a full blown dronge storm. The other two contestants walk into the room and they begin.
As the storm kicks up, my suit gets hotter and hotter as the acid rain falls on it and the high winds start to tear at my suit. I see that one of the other contestants suits starts to rip off of him and he runs to the exit. My suit is holding up! I’m super excited! Then the other contestants suit also starts to rip of of her and she falls onto the floor, motionless. I am the last one left! I can’t believe it! I engage the prototype and this weird, glowing, blue, swirly thing opens up. I think that it’s the portal. I slowly walk forwards and jump through the spiraling void.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.