Journey to Manahiem | Teen Ink

Journey to Manahiem

By CRJarvis, Springville , Utah
CRJarvis, Springville , Utah

Author's note:

What inspired me to write the piece was my deep thoughts and admiration for what life would be like in future times. What things will change? Will new laws be made? Would there be any adversities later on? These questions helped me form my story. I hope that as people finish reading this piece, they will reflect on the world around them and look at things from inside.  

Judge Vernon was terrified.
He raced across the bustling city streets at the speed of lightning. Sweat rained down from his face while he ran. He rushed through crowds of pedestrians, alleys tangled in webs of electric wires and in between soaring skyscrapers that reached to the sky. Still, he continued to pace forth with exceeding stamina and strength. His long, skinny legs kept him going upon the hard cement ground.   
Finally, Judge Vernon was in sight of the grand government tower, called The Jewel, that stood in the center of the capital city of Manahiem. There, he would find Head Counselor Bartholomew who would hopefully have the answer he was desperately searching for.
After multiple flight of stairs, the exhausted judge had reached the main hall where Head Counselor Bartholomew sat victoriously in his mighty seat. He glared at Vernon curiously, watching his every move.
“My gracious Vernon,” declared the Head Counselor. “What brings you here? It better be relevant.”
“Yes, sir,” Vernon answered, trembling with anticipation. “You see, there has been another attack that occurred early this very morning. That makes a dozen citizens of Manahiem dead.”
“Whether or not, they were murdered or slaughtered,” said Counselor Bartholomew. He was a large, muscular man with nicely combed hair. The counselor had a grey buttoned up shirt and a black tie covered by a thin, futuristic jacket.
“No, sir,” Vernon replied, shaking his head. “It is a mystery to us, sir. But my investigators and I are collecting pieces of information about this crisis right now.” Then, the judge slowly leaned forward to the counselor’s ears and whispered in an eerie tone, “This could be a Ragnar attack.”
“What?!” Counselor Bartholomew broke the silence between them. “Are you serious or berserk? Ever since the Rogue Nation created those monstrous, terrifying creatures, I shut them down! Creation is illegal here and they should know it. Now, I bet they’re leaving peacefully within our borders.”  
Judge Vernon looked confused. “You bet they’re living within our borders? You bet?”
“Listen, my friend. Creation is forbidden. Creating a monster is absolutely impossible here.” His narrowed eyes glared directly at Vernon. “Absolutely impossible.”

Five Days Later

Lisa Goldberg solemnly watched the sun beginning to descend out of sight, revealing millions and millions of brightly flashing planets in the distance. She lived with her parents up at the top floor in a tall, spacious skyscraper near the center of the city Manahiem.
Lisa was a very curious girl, gazing at everything in the world around her. She was just a young teenager at the age of fourteen with hair the color of gold and eyes as blue as the evening sky. Although she didn’t have many permanent friends that enjoyed her quiet company, Lisa often spent most of her time glaring out into space or with her own mother and beloved father. And that’s what troubled her.
The young girl’s father had been missing for five days, but to Lisa, it felt like forever. Without him, Lisa didn’t know what to do.
As daylight vanished, she averted most of her attention to the majestic bird’s eye view of the city. Then came a loud knock upon the front door. Who could that be? Lisa immediately got her mother’s attention and opened the metal door to see two men standing before them.
Lisa recognized them as citizens of the government, wearing silver clothing, ties and red badges. One man was elderly with aspen white hair while the other was about Lisa’s age with brown hair and hazel eyes. Lisa tried her best not to eye the tempting, young boy.
“Good evening, citizens of Manahiem,” the elderly man proclaimed. “I am Judge Rey and alongside me is my apprentice Torin. May we have a moment with you personally?”
Lisa stared into her mom’s eyes. Her mother nodded politely, gesturing the judge into their apartment. Lisa’s mother didn’t talk much and was often nervous around other people. So, Lisa relaxed her tense emotions and began to walk back inside her house when Judge Rey stopped her outside the door.
“I’m so sorry, dear,” he said in a remorseful tone. “But this is a conversation only for the two of us. You may sit outside with my Torin if that pleases you. I’m sure it won’t be too long.” He patted Lisa’s soft head and gently closed the door behind him.
The young girl didn’t know what to do besides sitting next to Torin in front of the door. She quietly seated herself next to him, feeling awfully embarrassed. In unison, the two turned their heads towards each other. Lisa just smiled, not knowing what to do. The boy smiled back optimistically.
“Hey,” he said. He had an appropriate suit with silver and red, sewed on beautifully.
“Hi,” Lisa said back, hiding a bit of her face with a few golden locks. Honestly, Lisa thought that she looked terrible compared to the boy.
“What’s your name?” asked Torin in a well-mannered tone.
“Lisa Goldberg. And you’re Torin, correct?”
Torin nodded. They began to continue their conversation, learning new things about each other until Judge Rey and Lisa’s mother trekked outside a little while after. However, Lisa could tell that her mother looked very awestruck.
“Thank you so very much for lending your time to this matter. May you have a very delightsome day, madam. And to your daughter, as well. Torin, let us depart.”
Before Torin left with Judge Rey, he slowly tiptoed up to Lisa and whispered in her ears, “Meet me down at the street at midnight.” Lisa took his words and waved farewell to him as he and his master began to walk out of sight around the corner.
Hours later in the middle of the night, Lisa cautiously crept out of bed, trekked to the bottom floor of the building and into the blackened world. Hardly anyone was out at this time. Crows sang their vile songs and the stars were brightly reflected on the planet ground. She could see Torin in his modest suit waiting for her by the curb of the sidewalk. 
“I’m glad you’re here,” he said with a wide grin.
“So am I,” agreed Lisa. She had desired to be with him all along. And here she was with him. “So, why are we here anyway?”
“That’s a fabulous point,” said Torin as the two began to enter the gloomy, vacant city. “You see, I think I might have the answer to your father’s disappearance.” The young apprentice began speaking of many interesting things, some of which confused Lisa terribly. He spoke of a former company known as the Rogue Nation that created an alien called the Ragnar that was unfortunately banned from Manahiem. Lisa knew exactly why. Creation was strictly forbidden in Manahiem and such consequences could lead to imprisonment. They continued to walk deeper into the dense city.
“What you’re trying to tell me is that this Ragnar creature killed my father?” Lisa questioned.
“It could happen,” Torin said, glaring into the outside world. “But that’s only one possibility.”
Just then, the two stopped abruptly in the middle of the street. A ghastly, deep hiss swept over them like a plague. It made Lisa’s skin crawl. Torin was immediately alarmed, pulling out a bulky, mechanical gun with a thick mouth opening. It began to illuminate the area with its blood-red lights coated on the sides.
Steadily and slowly, Torin and Lisa tiptoed closer to where the sound emerged. They came to one jet-black alley and stopped on the sidewalk, just to see a large log in their path.
Though, the log began to swag back and forth, moving wildly. Lisa and Torin were nervous, but as they peeked over the corner and into the alley, they realized that they were gazing into six flashing red eyes visibly seen in the thick fog. The green creature had three enormous necks and long flaps over their heads. Each head was attached to a plump body which was also connected to a thick, floppy tail at the rear. All the heads hissed furiously as if a thousand children were screaming. Then, the two began to groan, their heads throbbing with agony. Lisa fell down on the ground harshly, but Torin still stood up, fighting against the pain. He pointed his gun directly at the head in the middle.
“You think that you can ssstand against usss?” the left head hissed. “You shhhhhal die!”
That’s when the head in the middle opened its mouth wide, expanding like an oval. Its deadly fangs were visible in the jaw like jagged knives waiting to sink their teeth into human flesh.
Torin held his large gun, pointing it directly at the middle head. The apprentice shot the middle head’s neck, green goo bursting from the wound. But unfortunately, the alien showed no sign of distress and continued to battle Torin furiously.
Lisa still laid down flat on the ground. She could see that the right head was glaring at her, its eyes looked as if it was hypnotized. That must’ve been the reason Lisa was having these dreadful headaches! 
“Shoot the right head’s heart!” screamed Lisa. “The right head, Torin!”
Torin heeded her words, aiming his gun at the chest beneath the right head. He pulled the trigger, sending an electrical zap towards the heart. Within seconds, the right head dazed off and fell to the ground, leaving the other two heads to look in horror.
With that, Torin continued to aim at the chest. He shot the middle head’s heart and it collapsed, lifeless as a stone. He then shot the right head’s heart, and it tumbled down with the others, too. Then, the entire body plummeted to the surface like a domino. The creature was finished.
Lisa finally had the ability to stand up, steadily rising onto her weak legs. She rushed towards Torin as if they were long lost friends and wrapped her soft arms around him.
“Thank you,” she cried. “Thank you so very much.”
“Any time,” Torin said, resting his head upon Lisa.
“You did very well,” an eerie whisper boomed through the shadows. “You killed my creation.”
Fog expanded, blurring Torin and Lisa’s eyesight. Though, they could faintly make out a single, tall personage followed by another in the shadows. The first was tall and skinny wearing heavy black clothes and a cape. The one behind immediately popped into Lisa’s head like a distant memory. Her eyes widened to the size of basketballs.
“Dad?” Lisa called out in perplexity.
“My darling,” her dad said, relaxed with joy.
“So,” the first man said with a wide grin scarred across his face. “I’m glad you’re together. But you probably don’t have any imagination whatsoever about me.”
“You’re Kronos,” said Torin with a displeased voice. “Founder of the former Rogue Nation.”
“Yes, finally,” Kronos cackled triumphantly. “Somebody actually knows who I am. And I bet you know why I’m here then.” His black cape flowed smoothly behind him like drifting waves in the ocean.
“You see, ever since my company found other planets, we were interested in them. But when we realized the dangers that lurked within these nations, we were frightened to the core. We absolutely didn’t want to quarrel against these people. So, we stole two creatures that belonged to one of the planets, formed them together and created a new species known as the Ragnar to save us. Unfortunately, it did the opposite and Counselor Bartholomew banished those precious things due to creation.” He clenched his fists tightly to the sky with an enraged face. “Why did they have to do this?”
“Because creation is against the law, of course!” Torin shouted with ire.
“Then you’re foolish! Creation is basically the foundation in which this city was built upon. Without it, there would be nothing. Just imagine a world in which creation is our savior instead of our natural nemesis. The creature in which I have built could save millions of lives and not to mention gaining victory against other nations in battle. That’s why I’ve been recruiting my old employees from long ago.”
“Yes,” Lisa’s father exclaimed blissfully. He seemed to be jumping up and down impatiently like a little girl. “We can do this together. Come join us, Lisa. Please, we can build a better world for the future!”
Lisa didn’t know what to do. As much as she loved him, she didn’t want to help a liar such as Kronos.
“I’m sorry dad, but I don’t want to do this.” Her heart was stabbed with disgrace. 
Lisa’s father dipped his head down solemnly. Then, Kronos slowly pulled out a larger gun compared to Torin’s and pointed it right at the two. It glowed red with fire in the dark.
“I really don’t want to do this, but rumours can’t live forever you know.”
“Neither can secrets,” Torin said.
Just when Kronos was about to pull the trigger and blast them to their graves, a bright light flashed upon the two villains. They could barely open their eyes towards it. Soon, three large hover cars shaded in black and white descended down into the alley. But in the blink of a second, Lisa’s father and Kronos escaped into the shadows, hidden from the outside world. When the hover cars landed on the ground’s surface, large men with guns came running out including a plump, modest man. This was sure to be Counselor Bartholomew of Manahiem.
Like flies, the men started rushing towards Torin, asking multiple questions as they were gathered around him. Even Counselor Bartholomew came over and inquired Lisa and him about the situation. The answers the counselor received from them were clearly shocking. When that was over, the two teens looked at each other eye to eye.
“Are you alright, Lisa?” Torin asked.
“Yes, I’m fine.” The two hugged each other tightly, even though, Lisa had lied.
She couldn’t stop thinking about what Kronos and her father had said minutes before about the forbidding of creation. A daunting feeling swept over her. 
Were they actually the villains they were fighting against, or were they really the good guys?