The Adeventure of a Lifetime | Teen Ink

The Adeventure of a Lifetime

By Jewelsqueen13, Tampa, Florida
Jewelsqueen13, Tampa, Florida

Chrys dashed off into the street, running from the guards chasing her, their purple plumage thrown back with their speed. She sprinted faster to narrowly avoid falling off the sandstone walls and looked up to see she was running towards the end wall. Looking closer at her peripheral vision while maintaining her speed, Chrys found a suitable clay roof that her shoes would grip on, but the soldiers would most likely fall. She waited until right before the wall and jumped, twisting her body in a catlike manner to land on her feet as she crouched, trying to absorb the fall. She sprinted to the next roof and turned her head a bit, watching two of the four guards fall off. She rushed away, trying to lose the guards through the house roofs.

Chrys briefly thought of how it must feel to be in the houses and feel the pounding of her and her chases feet, but her thoughts were interrupted by a ‘whoosh’ suspiciously close to her ear. She fingered near the sound and was shocked to find her blond hair had been chopped right off, leaving only the hair inside her hat. It was only when one guard snatched at her that Chrys remembered she was on the run, and jumped off, once again nailing the landing. Both guards fell and Chrys slinked into the night, thinking of the girl she had just lost her hair for. Said girl had been watching her friend from the tower where she was kept, and sighed as she waited anxiously for the night when Chrys would slink in there, retelling her harrowing escape, adding a bit of dramatic flair as always.
“I’m telling you, they chopped off my hair.” Chrys said as Siren took a few steps away from her, eying Chrys’ weirdly cut hair before sighing. “go to my vanity and sit.” She said simply before grabbing scissors and a spray bottle filled with water. Chrys silently obeyed, sitting down as siren went to work on her hair. She had to make it a pixie cut since it was too short for anything else, but after styling and snipping away her hair for a bit, she stepped away as Chrys got out of the chair and shook herself free of hair, looking at the cut happily. “How are you so good at this? I would’ve just let it be that way.”
“That’s why I’m the one with scissors.” Siren said and they laughed. Chrys offered a cheeky smile to Siren before climbing up her tower on ivy, going to the top where they would look at the stars. With some difficulty due to her dresses, Siren shimmied up to Chrys as they looked out at her parent’s kingdom. Siren was a princess, forced into seclusion and nobility as she was raised to be the ruler of this kingdom, but that wasn’t what she wanted. Chrys spoke of phones and computers, and Siren wanted to see it, wanted to be in a city and try a ‘hot dog’ or ‘ice cream’, but alas, her dessert kingdom made it impossible.
“Chrys, could you tell me more about the cities?” Siren asked as she looked up, thinking how so many other people saw the stars, how they were so different them these two. “You’re in the mood for that, huh? Well then, let me tell you about planes. I got into one once. Theo helped me since he got relocated to another orphanage-”
“What’s relocated?” Siren asked, her cocoa-brown eyes looking at Chrys for a fleeting moment. “That’s a good question. Relocated is when you have to move kingdoms.” Siren shook her head at the thought. As much as she wanted to learn about the outside world, she couldn’t bear the thought of not having this tower be hers, it was inconceivable.  “Anyway, He was getting relocated so he smuggled me into a suitcase. I can’t tell you anything about the sights, just that it was loud and bumpy, and I could feel us going up or down. That’s pretty much it, except that Theo complained of how heavy I was.” Chrys said, ending the story with a chuckle that turned into a yawn. “I should probably go sleep, I’ll see you tomorrow, maybe we could even start planning for your escape.” Chrys said as Siren nodded, trying to envision an airplane. Chrys went back down to her wooden shack near the town’s wall where there was no patrol’s regularly and turned on the gritty ground until she found a content position.

Siren and Chyrs met for the rest of the weeknights, Siren getting some parchment for Chrys to write on and show how they’d get out. It was simple really, they were getting out the same way Chrys got in, through the boats that were at the port as stowaways. The tricky part was not getting caught by guards as they left or on the five-day journey to Seattle. Chyrs had said it was cold and rainy there, contrasting to the hot and dry feeling of Siren’s kingdom. Then finally it came time to escape.

They were talking and Siren got some jeans for the two when Chrys had to run outside and crouch under Siren’s tower as a servant had come in to give her breakfast. As usual, Siren saved a bit of her food for Chrys, who ate hungrily. “Siren, let’s go now.” Chyrs said, wiping at her mouth to brush away crumbs. Siren nodded, rummaging through her closet and finding two black T-shirts, donning one as she handed the other to Chrys. They jumped off, the sun just rising. They had decided to leave in the morning, knowing that the workers would leave in the morning breeze, letting them get a fresh start on the day. They carefully clambered down the tower, stopping on the towers walls, avoiding guards that would catch the ‘vagabond’ stealing their precious, perfect princess. Finally, they got to the wall and went to Chrys’ house, if you could call the shack a house. Opening the sheet-door, Chrys revealed that she had made a hole in the outer wall. They got out, running to the port. Chrys crouched behind some boxes that smelled suspiciously of tuna, and Siren followed her. “Ok, so the plan is that we get into the ship on their breakfast break and hide in the lower hull.” Chrys whispered as Siren sat down, fiddling with her brown locks. Chyrs sat down to and waited for a bit, but then the sailors took a break and both sneaked in, hiding in the shadows. “Then I told him… Wait.” A sailor was talking before glaring almost directly at the girls. The sailor scanned the shadows, trying to find the girls, but gave up and continued their story. Chrys and Siren breathed a sigh of relief and eventually got down.
“Uhh, Siren, do we have any money for Seattle?” Chrys asked a bit into the second day or the voyage and Siren paled. “I hadn’t thought about that, I never really had to care about it.” Chrys looked at Siren before smiling. “It’s a good thing you have me.” She said before taking out a wad of bills from her back pocket. “Seven thousand dollars. Why do you think those guards were chasing me last week?” Chrys said and Siren slapped her playfully. “So, you are a thief.” Siren said, the tease evident in her voice, and Chrys shook her head. “More like I chased the opportunities that came to me.” Chrys said and put the money back in the pocket of her worn down jeans before turning and sleeping. Siren stayed awake, alone with only her thoughts as company. She tried to imagine Seattle and skyscrapers, but she was entering a whole new world. A world where her royalty didn’t matter, only looks did. Where phones and technology ruled most things, and she had to make money, not be born with it. Chrys knew, Chrys knew this world, but siren had no clue. Siren was traveling g to another world, but that world might not accept her. All she could do was wait, hoping it would all come to place.

As the ship completed its voyage, both girls were tired of the waves and very hungry. Chrys had told Siren it was only three days, but Siren suffered the most, accustomed to three course meals each day whereas Chrys barely had any food, making her as thin as a stick.
Eventually, Chrys woke Siren up and they snuck out to the port of Bremerton. Chrys dragged Siren to a bus station and looked at a map While siren waited for her to get through. “Ok, so according to this, we need to take a ferry to Seattle.” Chrys said and as they were getting tickets and a taxi their Siren asked Chrys a question. “Chyrs, why are we going to Seattle? What’s the importance of that place?” Chrys sighed, preparing to tell her.
“Well, there’s this safe house me, Theo, and Jack built. It’s an apartment in Seattle that’s really nice. We are going to live there and get jobs, after all, if you’re old enough to be queen you can also work.” Chrys said simply and the taxi came. They paid to get to the Bremerton ferry, eating the breakfast Chrys had bought them hungrily. “So Chrys, is that your entire plan, to get us a job and live here?” Chrys nodded, finishing a bite of pancake. “It should be better than the kingdom, and we could explore other places and fly on planes.” Siren nodded and they explored the ferry, also stopping to use the utilities, before the ferry stopped and they got off.
Chrys had purchased a map of Seattle and was observing it, trying to find the house and other places to go. “Ok, so the house is here, but we can probably get a job or food here.” Chrys pointed to the house and Pike Place market on the map. “Let’s get food, I’m still hungry.” Siren said and Chrys laughed. They hailed a cab and went to Pike Place, eating at a seafood restaurant. Chyrs and Siren window-shopped, walking back to the apartment as Siren asked about everything and Chrys answered cheekily, watching Siren’s face light up with each explanation. They walked into a parking garage, getting into the house with someone else by Siren sweetly tricking them, saying they lived here with their parents but forgot their key. When the lady kindly let them in, Chrys grabbed Siren’s hand and locked it with her tanned one, taking her to the apartment when she took its key out of her pocket.
“We each have a key, maybe Theo will come by, but until then this is a fully decked out suite for three people with food for a month.” Chrys said before opening the door. The suite was mostly blue and purple, with a full kitchen, two full bathrooms, and their bedrooms. Chrys immediately went to the master suite and yelled. “I’m changing don’t come in,” Before going into her closet and pulling out another pair of ripped jeans and a t-shirt that had kill with love as the kill bled out. Chrys came back out to see Siren entranced with the TV, a random station on as she watched.
“Hey Siren, you can change now, just look in the closet.” Siren nodded and went to the closet, finding a sky-blue dress that was a bit big on her, but she paid it no mind. “I’m tired.” Siren said after yawning as Chrys looked at Siren before chuckling. “I didn’t even know I had that dress. How about I get you some pajama’s and then you can sleep? We’ll save the clothes for tomorrow.” Chrys said and Siren nodded. Chrys ran into the closet and gave Siren clothes. She changed in another bedroom which she claimed for herself and Chrys took the master suite, seeing as all her stuff was already here. They fell asleep, Chrys happy she and Siren hadn’t been caught.