Alpha down | Teen Ink

Alpha down

December 6, 2017
By UntoldAtlas BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
More by this author
UntoldAtlas BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

A lot of this piece is derived from action scenes in movies, tv shows, video games, anything really. 

My name is Profit, and I'm the leader of a tri-team, and we are the reason of the infection. Now, i know what your thinking, "how could you do this to your city?" Or "why would you almost wipe out humanity?" Simple, we didn't do it on purpose. 5 years before the city of fairview was built, we had another person on the team... And he had other intentions than we did. His name was jester and he  wanted a more realistic feel to the city, populating it with people. At first, Chronos and I were ok with what he was doing, then, things go very out of hand. He made several more cities, with better military forces and naval ships. And all we had was nano suits and AB gel on the inside. After Triton, Chronos and I finished making the suits their best, we had one choice. Kill Jester. Barricading himself inside city to city, we lost touch with everything, where he was, and started to defend our beloved city... But in our own city, he was planning something.. Something very bad. He created a virus, one that made every muscle it could reach bloat, and puss would infect the brain, causing an incurable disease that you cant stop. It went viral with power and in the confusion, Jester escaped. Leaving almost all of his cities to waste. Except for two. The green zone and yellow zone. Making our city, The red zone.

We ran the rooftops. Looking for survivors. Everything died off. Red vines of infectious pores spewed puss the amount of a river. At first, We all were horrified of what happened. "Jester needs to pay for this." Triton says as he grits his teeth.
"In time, Triton. In time." Chronos says with a big breath.
I knew that i should've said something. Something of value. Like "we will find people, trust me." Or "we will find him. He couldn't have  gotten far." But instead i sat there... And felt agony for everyone that is infected.
Our city, Ruined. All because we let jester loose. Its a war. A war that hangs in the  balance. I quickly glance at the highest point to overlook the ruins of our city. I look at Chronos and Triton, and we jump roof to roof. At last, we climbed up and i looked at our bunker. "Guys, look!" I point to it, and out of nowhere, the building started to collapse. I look at the bottom and two mutants were clawing at the steel frames, making the building wobble. We start to ponder how we are getting off. I get ready to grab their coats when a flying infected kicks us, and we start to surf the building. We all look at each other in panic, and in an instant, i tumble down the building. Fiber glass and brick blocks my vision, and i feel gravity take its toll onto me.

Tossing and turning, i push the rubble out of my visor. The ground cushions my broken body, and i hesitate to move. It was mainly because of pain, but also because fear. I didn't want to end this way. It wasn't time for me. Not yet. I sat there, thinking, how we got in this mess, and went into a memory.
Jester... We all knew he was a little off, but we didn't want to say anything to set him off on a tangent. He was always looking at things with a negative perspective. I witnessed him hold grudges, which is one of the reasons why i don't talk to him. He was incredibly smart, ill give him that, and was very resourceful. He could find a part from a car and turn it into a cannon. So for him to become a military expert doesn't surprise me, at least. He finally has had enough from one of us, and i was almost positive it wasn't me. For all i know it could've been a turmoil inside himself. My mind started to drift into reality, and i began to move forward.
I got up, swiping the brown rubble and dirt off my shoulder. In a quick second, I go to Triton and Chronos and take off the broken building from their broken bodies. They get up, and look around. I didn't have enough courage to look at what is happening around us, i just wanted it to stop. It seemed impossible to go to the bunker, mainly because of what just happened. I look at them, and we start to run to the bunker. "Why are we in this mess? What did we do to Jester? What did I do?"
A torrent of thoughts made me focus on nothing but whats in my head.
"Is there a cure? What if my team dies?"
"Is there a cure?"
"Are there anymore survivors?"
"Are we infected?"

    There was too many questions for me to answer. And most of them i didn't have answers for. I run to the bunker door, and forgot that it was latched shut. "Is there anyway in besides the door?" Chronos asks.
I look downward, at a sewer grate and think, "the door down there is locked... Hm..." It was hard to focus. Those questions still reigned  my head. I looked around." I dont care if a infected monster came tearing down after me- wait... Thats it!"
"Triton, Chronos, follow me! I have an idea!" I start to run the the busiest place hoping there will be monsters.
Still running i go to the circle drive and taunt every monster i see.
"COME AND GET SOME!!!" I yelled out with my arms spread apart.
Triton and Chronos look at me like i was going insane. Suddenly, a monster came ripping down the road, knocking down anything in its way.
I tell them to follow me and we run to the bunker. "Its gaining on us!" Chronos says.
I smile and we keep running. The door is five feet away and we jump to the side as the monster barrels through the steel wall.
Hoping its unconscious, we run inside and gear up before it gains consciousness. I then go to Jesters suit room. It was evident of what i was doing, i was looking for a hint. A hint of something that would lead to his location. But not yet. "In time, in time." I thought.
I was almost positive that he intended for this war to happen. It was only a matter of time before we head into the green zones and yellow zones. "I wonder... If he couldn't have had us to help with the virus, it was apparent that he would need help. And if we find his little puppets we find him." I say.

     They both nod understandingly and we go outside. "This is going to be fun."

I load up my freeze gun, stun gun, dart gun, sniper, and compound bow. I tell them that we are going to need a way off of this island, and quick. Chronos told us to meet at the closest building to the green zone. I nod and Triton walks away. "I got him." I say.
I jog up to his fast pace and ask why he's going this way. "Theres a secret subway train station that connects to all islands, you just have to find it."
I stand there in awe, and yell Chronos over. "Heres the briefing. Only your secondary weapons for now. We want to get off of this place as soon as possible. So that means freeze gun, dart gun and stun gun. We don't know if anythings down there, and if we get away without them knowing, less ammo to find. Understood?" They do a "thumbs up" and we walk to the building rooftops.

     I pull out my bow, and load it with sleep bolts, while Chronos loads his stun gun, and Triton loads his freeze gun.
"Locked and loaded." We all say.
"Move out, Triton... Lead the way. Chronos, back to back." I say darting my head.
We walk fast, but slow enough to have good aim. It was quiet, and the empty streets roar with horns honking and newspaper flying.
I look atop the skyscrapers. One huge infected monster looks down, but keeps walking around. I point to it and keep a set of eyes on it.  Triton motions us to stop, and duck. I hear it too. We all hear it. We looked up to the skies and see a helicopter. "Profit, meet me at this location. Chronos and I are going there with godspeed. Radio us in if there is any disturbance." He whispers, handing me a PDA.
I nod and start climbing the fire escape to an old apartment building. My apartment building.
(Past)
     "Leo! Come down here! They are home!!!" My mom says.
Leo was my real name before i enlisted in the US army. I stumble down the stairs, half awake. Looking around aimlessly i turn to my mother, and standing along side her is my dad and my brother kenai I called him Kai, because when i was little i didn't know how to say his name. It was very annoying for him, but grew into a habit. My mother and I ended up going to live alone here, after my father and brother join the army. During training Kai strayed from the path and passed out from heat exhaustion, and my father got shot by unexpected rifle training exercises. After my father went on the gurney, a search party went looking for Kai, and came back with devastating results. Signs of him being in many places, but no body. My mother broke down and we moved away from these apartments. It was hard, because i never lived anywhere else with my own room, and we used to have a bond with Kai, but that bond broke after he enlisted and went to drills.
(Present)
    I reach the top, half sad and scared. "Thats the past, profit... Keep moving. Their waiting."
start to run building to building, and the monster i kept my eye on wasn't on the building when i looked. Suddenly, I see huge arms smack me off the building, and i turn in mid-air to face him. "Ugly as ever." I say with a chaotic smirk on my scared face.
I use the end of my bow to grab hold of the monster. I lunge back at him, attempting to grab my freeze gun when he stretched out his other arm. Pummeled here and there without mercy, i struggle to figure out a way to stop it. I shoot its arm, and it solidifies into ice almost instantaneously. I grab hold of my bow, and smash his grip from my body. I fall, down do a lower building, and i look up. The monster yelped, and i glare at it as it walks away. I grab my radio from my belt and call Triton. "Profit to Triton, do you read?" I ask still panting.
"This Is Triton, over, wheres your location? What happened?"
" i got attacked and i froze off its arm, and escaped. It left where it attacked me. Im heading to your location ASAP."
"Copy." And the transmission ends.
    I am at full speed, pushing everything in my way down. It got progressively busier uptown. My vision is full of infected, and broken bus stops. "Just keep going. Jesters monsters can't get ya." I say to myself.
"Chronos to Profit, do you copy?"
"I copy, whats up?"
"Triton found the base. Its heavily guarded with military guns, tanks, auto sentries, and helicopters. He needs you to equip and EMP and meet us atop the" Juno" building, toward north, over."
"Ten-four. Almost there ill meet you there. Over and out." I finish.

       Finally, after 20 minutes of running, i make it. "Profit! Over here!" Chronos whispers.
The wind blew the away all the debris on the building. The sun was blocked by the sun, and the clouds were black. "Storms are coming..." I think, loosing my focus on the things around me.
I look up, and saw another helicopter, and grabbed their suits. I duck underneath a chimney and put my finger over my lips. They nod, and i can hear us all pant of fear. I turn on my visor and see through the chimney. "No heat signature. Were clear." I say.
"Nice job catching that. We would've been done for if we didn't see that. Now, aim at the electrical box on the side of the base." Triton says pointing to the box.
"The storms getting worse... Guys. Lets wait. I have a plan." I say.
They look at me, and i point up. "We wait for the rain, and we take out the power. And while we're in there and take their maps, and ammo... Then we head to the subway." I say, counting the bodies of soldiers.
"Sounds good, but how long do we need to wait? Our cover could be blown any minute." Chronos says worrying.
"Anytime now, but i believe that we should try to find a new vantage point, give us more of a view of the base." Triton suggests.

        He was right, this area we are staked out in wasn't the best for waiting in. Any helicopter could spot us. I look around for any better vantage points. One building a few feet from an auto sentry has faded glass, and cant be seen through. I could snipe everyone, but thats not the plan of action. We need stealth. Not all out sniping. At least, not yet. I point to the building and i run roof to roof there. They take a different route. I look at the sun's position. "2:30... Almost time." I think. So many questions, no answers yet. "Answers... The most vital thing i need right now. But i need to focus on this."
I look the rusted door, and kick the hinges off, and walk inside. Dust moves about the whole room as i walk to the window. "Profit to Chronos, In position, where are you guys?"
"Chronos to Profit, we are headed to two other positions, we are splitting up and going to meet up when its dark. Radio us in when your ready. Over and out."
I put the radio on my belt, and look for the other buildings they may be in.
"I wonder where Triton went..." Another question in the bank of thoughts.
I start to zone out.
"What have i done...?"
I look down. Jester pops in my mind again.
"Why jester? Why?"
He seems to be more than what we have expected. Locking himself up and then spreading a disease? Killing millions of people, and animals, just for revenge? What kind of sick man does this? He's not the man i expected he would be. How did he get his hands on this kind of virus anyways?
So many questions! Why!? What did we do to him! Was it by himself that he made this decision? Or was it someone else who tempted him into doing this?
"This is Triton to Chronos and Profit, do you read?"
I snap out of my daze. "This is Profit to Triton, whats your position over?"
"In the GCPD building top of radio tower. We have a problem."
"This is Chronos, whats the issue?"
"Someone hacked into our comms."
I stood there in shock. Who could've done that? "This is Profit, we will commence raid base in 20 minutes. Dont use radio unless you have an emergency. Prep for knock outs only. Over and out."

Operation Foxtrot-
"Its time. Meet by the helicopter."
I put my radio down on my belt and i grab my bow from my back. I turn on my NVG (night vision goggles) and move to position. "Four infantry and reinforcement caller... Hmm i wonder who I take down first." I think sarcastically. I c*** my freeze gun and it glows a neon blue. I dial down the blast radius to 5 feet and i hop down.
I turn on infrared and follow the glowing foot prints on the ground. The infantrymen. I crouch down and slowly walk towards his back. I step into a puddle and he darts his head around. I panic and shoot his head. He falls over and i go to cover. "Holy mother of god! That was too close." I think.
Still breathing heavily i turn to my left and i click the radio button. "Profit to team, we cannot use freeze guns. Pull out your stun guns. Meet inside. I repeat. No freeze guns, stun guns only. Over and out."
"This is Chronos to Profit, i copy, i already took out 2 people in my vicinity. Im not sure whats happening with Triton, over."
"Ten-four, ill check it out. You go inside and wait for us to radio you in. Over and out."
I look around, mustered the strength i didn't have and went to his area.
I walked in the darkness, and looked for any signs of Triton. His suit was navy, so it'll be harder to find him. I looked for a vantage point and out of nowhere i was ambushed by a guard. "Drop it!" He yelled.
I hesitated for a little, and dropped the stun gun.
"Hands on your head and on the ground. Now!"
I put my hands on my head and kneeled down on the wet ground.
I murmured into the radio, "discovered. I wanna see how this works out. Ill be in touch. Im turning off my radio. Over and out."
I let him check my body for any access weapons and i get taken to a shack-like house with windows protected by bars. "Here we go..." I say unenthusiastically.
I walked with a barrel on my mid back and head. Pushed and shoved into a tiny room. "Now, questions for you." The man said c***ing back his pistol.
They lock me into handcuffs on the table. I flip on my vision, and look at the residue on the cuffs. "Rust...?" I thought.
I turn it off, and look up, only to see the back of a pistol roaring towards my face. The screen buzzed, and cracked. "HEY! Look at me when I'm talking to you." The man said.
I turn my head forcefully away from him. "Everyone out. He's going to learn a lesson." He said gritting his yellowed teeth.
As everyone leaves, he pushes the table away from me, and gets in my face. I start to cringe. "Hey, you really think you can waltz in here, and pull out a weapon!? Who do you think you are!?" He yelled.
I say "I'm Profit." I say.
He looked at me, confused. I suddenly break the cuffs and reach for his neck. My other hand was guided towards his holstered weapon.
"This is Chronos to Profit, no eyes on you or Triton, over.. Where are you.?" Chronos says into his radio.

I look around with my NVG, and see nothing. "Hmph, im on my own... Where are they? Profit was clicking his radio... And triton went inside... Maybe i go inside...?" I thought.
I drop down from the building. I turn on my gloves, and they glow a dark red. I put my gun away, and climb the opposite building. The windows were sealed with a thin glass. I grab a knife, and i cut the glass. I hop in, and i grab my stun gun. A woman on guard was  asleep on a chair, and i slowly turned off the light, and snuck past. I go down a stair well, and i look at the vent. "Hm... Big enough for me to fit in..." I think. I take hold of the vent. I rip off the cover, and set it aside. I then crawled inside, and went lower into the base. The vents started to cool.. I sat still and thought to myself. "Fans." I start to crawl faster and the fan was sucking all the dead bugs and dust away. Suddenly, a fast wind blew against me and I was struggling to crawl forward. Finally, I reach a vent, and I pop it open and fly into the room. "Ah, finally. I hate small spaces." I said brushing my suit with my hand.
I crouch down, and I start to sneak into rooms. I look at the window curtains moving, and the flashing of light. "Lightning...?" I thought...
I went to investigate, and a huge tank drove past me. I gasp and I duck down.
"Holy crap..." I said aloud to myself.
I stayed at the window, and the guards had the same idea. I took this as my opportunity, and snuck to the basement, and the door creaked. "Crap... I got to hide." I say.
Suddenly, someone comes to the door, and opens it. I punch him in the throat, and his body falls down the stairs. "AH DAMN IT!" I think.
I run down, and draw my stun gun. 2 people, and a hostage ran to the cellar doors. I chased after them, and I flinched to shoot when bullets flew past my body. I ran up the stairs, and they closed the doors. I went to open the doors, but they were locked. Furiously ramming my body into the doors, it wouldn't budge. I calm down, and I run to the roof.

I grab his neck, and grab his pistol. He looks me dead in the eyes, and starts to cry. "Don't! What do you want!?" He screams.
I push his puny body down, and slide the barrel of his pistol, and take the mag out. He looks at me, with tears running down his face.
"I want answers. And a helicopter. Where is my team, and where is the copter?" I say furiously.
"Your team, right. We have one hostage down in the basement, and I didn't know there was another one... And The copter is on the roof. It's yours. Let me live, please!" He says, breaking down with each word.
I punch his face, and he falls over unconscious. I open the door, grab my guns, and my bow, then run to the cellar doors.
A bar was blocking the way in, and the reinforced doors were even tougher to break through... I grab my freeze gun, and freeze the locks, I reload, and count in my head, "3, 2, 1..." BOOM!
The door opened, the ice flew around the room, and no one was here. "That rat lied to me." I thought



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.