The Last Day On Earth | Teen Ink

The Last Day On Earth

October 18, 2017
By Killerworm990, Cupertino, California
More by this author
Killerworm990, Cupertino, California
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Author's note:

I was inspired to write this from a mobile game called The Last Day On Earth. That's where I got the name. Most of the story was completely original, except for the colony of cannibals. I based that off of Terminus from The Walking Dead. 

Necroa21XZ Virus
Symptoms: Nausea, Vomiting, Headache, Chills, Fever
Mortality Rate: 100%
Effects: Reanimation after 1- 3 hours of infection
Origins: Unknown
How Infection Spreads: 1 airborne strain, 1 liquid strain.


June 1, 2018
This is what came on the news on June 1, 2018 shocked the world. I came to school at 7: 50 AM. My friend Max was there.
“ Hey Max” I told him. “What’s goin’ on?”
“Nothing really” he answered. “You heard about the virus, right?”
“Yeah”
“Where’s Tristan?”
“Beats me”
Max looked around. Then the bell rang.
“See you later”I said.
“See you later, man” Max said.
 

In second period, things didn’t get much better. Two trucks pulled up to the school. Four soldiers jumped out.
“Why are soldiers here?” Tristan asked our teacher, Ms. Lin.
“They are here to check students for the virus” Ms. Lin answered.
“Crap” Tristan said.
Pretty quickly, a soldier arrived in our room. I eyed a gun on his waist. He checked Teg, one of the other students in our class. Red came up on his monitor.
“He’s infected” the soldier said.
The soldier reached for his gun. My eyes went wide. The soldier fired. The bullet went clean through Teg’s head. The sound of the gunshot made our ears ring. Teg’s body fell to the ground, knocking over his desk.
“We should plug our ears” I told Tristan.
We plugged our ears. The soldier scanned Faith, another student. Faith was infected. The soldier shot her. Same with the last student, Abi. The soldier scanned Tristan and I. We were uninfected.
At brunch, Tristan and I headed to the hill. Max wasn’t there yet. I shrugged. Then there was the sound of helicopters. I’d seen them flying above the school before, but these sounded closer to the ground, and there were multiple. Then more gunshots.
“RUN FOR COVER!” I yelled. A sniper from one of the helicopters shot at me, but I dove. I fell down. I noticed a man in one of the helicopters. He wasn’t wearing a military uniform.
“IT’S TERRORISTS!” I screamed.
Tristan and I sprinted for the MU. We opened it up and got inside.
“We should be safe here” Tristan said.
Then a soldier burst in.
“I'm infected” he said.
The soldier pulled out his gun.
“Just shoot me” he said. “There's one round left”
I grabbed it.
“Just pull the trigger” he said. I aimed it and fired.
Then the loudspeakers came blaring all students, please report to third period. The terrorists are gone.
“Bye” Tristan said. “See you later”
“Lunch” I said.
I looked at the soldier's body. I noticed green ooze seeping out of the bullet wound. This got me thinking.
 

I lined up in front of room H. There were only a few students. Tim, Maggie, and Joe. were there. I eyed all of them. No blood. No green ooze. I could tell everything was quiet, even though my ears had been ringing for about thirty minutes. Mr. Greene, our Language Arts teacher opened the door. Inside, I told them what had happened from how I understood it.
“So” Maggie said. “Basically, you're saying that terrorists in helicopters shot kids in the arms and legs just to infect them with a deadly virus”.
“Yeah” I responded. “And if we don’t escape the school soon, we’re just a buffet for oncoming zombies”
“Like an all you can eat human sushi bar” Tim said.
Then I spotted it. Green ooze on Joe’s leg.
“Joe!” I yelled. “You’re infected!”
“So what?” Joe said nervously.
Then Joe started spazzing.
“what‘s going on?” Tim asked.
“He’s turning” I answered.
“What do we do?” Maggie asked.
“Hide” I answered. “And pray he doesn’t find you.”
While everyone else hid, I searched for a weapon. Then I came across a textbook.
“This’ll do” I muttered to myself.
Joe got up and limped to the door. I caught a glimpse of madness in his eye.
“Hey!” I yelled. “Joe! Come over here!”
Joe turned around and limped towards me. I hit him right in the head. It slammed right against the wall. I kept hitting until his head burst. I immediately threw the textbook.
“It’s safe to come out now” I said.
Everyone came out and went up to the whiteboard opposite of Joe’s body. I headed over to them.
“We have to escape” I said.
“I can’t let you do that” Mr. Greene said. “It’s the law”.
“Fine. call the police”
Mr. Greene reached for the phone. Tim, Maggie, and I waited.
“All the lines are busy” he said a few minutes later.
Then my iPad started beeping. I opened it up.
“What is it?” Maggie asked.
“I’ve got an Email” I said. “From Max. He’s alive”.
“I’m heading to Room 22” I finished.
“Good luck” Tim said.
At Room 22, I met Tristan.
“You’re heading to see Max” I said.
“Yeah” Tristan responded. I opened the door. Max was inside.
“Where’s Miss Koh?” I asked.
“Gone” Max answered. “She wasn’t here when the loudspeakers told us to report to third period. Luckily, the door was unlocked”.
“We should escape, now that we’re given the chance. The kids should start turning soon”.
Then the loudspeakers turned on. All Students, stay in your current classroom. The military is coming.
“We should really leave” I said.
“And throw ourselves out into the chaos?” Max added.
“Now that I think of it, we should find a more secure location in the school”
“nice”
“Alright, let's do this!” Tristan yelled.

In the school locker room, we began searching for weapons. The boy’s PE teachers were gone. Max, Tristan, and I entered the PE office.
“Nothing useful in here” Tristan said.
I walked back into the locker room. I dug into the sports equipment.
“Anything?” Max asked.
“Nah” I said. “All there is are these shot put balls”
Max looked out the door. “There’s no sign of military” he said. Then the loudspeaker came on. All students, due to the chaos, the military is not coming. Stay where we are. This is a code red. Barricade the classrooms. Humani-. Screaming came out of the loudspeaker.
“That's it” I said. “We’re on our own”.
I looked at the clock. It was 2:48 PM. The bell rang, due to the fact that it was automated.
“Where should we go?” Tristan asked.
“Michaelstown Elementary” I answered. “It could be better there”.

At about 3 PM, we reached Michaelstown Elementary. It was closed off. There was a sign. It read: WARNING: DO NOT ENTER! DEAD ZONE
“Looks like Lincoln’s not an option” Tristan said. “So where now?”
“Max’s house” I said. “We get a car there and head to Kennedy. We pick up Tim and Maggie. Then we head to my house and discuss a more permanent plan”
At Max’s house, Max eyed his mom’s car.
“Oh. You wanna take the Highlander”
Max walked up to his back door while Tristan and I were talking.
“Maybe we should follow him” I said. 
Tristan and I followed Max to the back door. Max opened it up and got inside. Tristan and I followed.
“MOM!” Max yelled. “MOM!”
“Max” I said. “Stop yelling”
“Meh. She's not here”
Then I spotted some guns on the couch. An AR-15.
“I CALL THE AR-15!” I yelled.
I jumped at the couch and grabbed the rifle off of it.
“Woah” Tristan said. “Maybe Max’s parents are out looting”
“Nah” Max said. “Mom left a note”

Max,

    IVE been bitten I hope you survive. Your father is next to me. Your frend Jay is in the house. That's why those guns are there. I wrote this at 9:20 AM. If you're reading this at 12:30 or later it is likely that I have turned Bye Max
Your friend Jay is here.
Sincerely,
     Mom

“Dang, Max” I said.
Max sobbed heavily.
“Come on, Max, get up”
Max got up, then grabbed the hunting rifle off the couch. We got all the ammo. I emptied my school bag for the equipment. Tristan grabbed the M1 Garand.
“HEY JAY!” I yelled. Jay ran out. He had a Remington 700 with him.
“What is it?” Jay asked.
“We need to leave the city. Flee to the countryside” I answered.
 

At my house, we discussed plans. We all made survival packs.

Personal Survival Pack
Primary Weapon (Rifle or Semi-automatic Carbine)
100 Rounds
Secondary Weapon (Pistol or Revolver)
100 Rounds
Melee Weapon (Machete or Steel Crowbar)
Daily Rations
Mess Kit
1 liter canteen
Sleeping bag or bed roll
Two Pairs of socks
Hiking Boots
Running Shoes
flashlight

In Addition, every group should carry:
First Aid Kit, including field surgery implements
Crossbow
2 Silenced Weapons
Water Purification Tablets
Shortwave Radio

Then a zombie burst in through the back door. Tim attacked it with a bat. It pounced on him and bit into his arm. I shot it with my AR-15.

In the attic, we all waited. Hours passed. Zombies broke in, searched for prey, and left. I looked out the shutters and found that it was night. I looked at my phone. It was 8:30 PM.
“Let's get some shuteye” I said.
Everyone eventually went to sleep.
June 2, 2018
In the morning, I looked outside.
Zombies were everywhere. Riots, looting, and everything related to chaos that I could think of went on. I opened the trapdoor and went into the first floor. A zombie came up to me. Given that it took me by surprise, I fell down. I pulled out my Beretta and shot it. The body fell on me. I kicked it away and got up. That drew some attention. I took cover and put away my gun. A zombie broke down the window. I pulled out my rifle and shot it. I bolted to the living room. Tristan came.
“Hey” he said. “Tim’s dying”
Back in the attic, we went up to Tim.
“Just. Kill. Me” he said.
“Do you really want this?” I asked.
“Anything that prevents me from turning”
I raised my gun. But I quickly lowered it.
“I can’t do it” I said.
“But you did it to the infected soldier” Tristan argued.
“Yeah, but Tim’s different. I actually knew the guy”
I unloaded my gun except for one round. Then I handed it to Tim. Tim picked it up, aimed it at his own head, and pulled the trigger. I grabbed the gun and reloaded it. Max and I dragged the body outside.
Back in the attic, we discussed an escape plan.
“We need to flee the city” I said.
“But the riots make it impossible” Jay replied.
“We wait until the chaos dies down, then we get some bikes and flee”
“But wouldn’t a car be easier?” Maggie asked.
“With all the chaos, the car would be destroyed. Biking would allow us to be nimble and go in between the cars. Besides, a car’s fuel supply is finite, whereas bikes are muscle powered."

I drove my mom’s car at full speed, which with all the traffic, was about 2 miles per hour. That night, we reached a bike shop in La Villa. The streets were filled with wrecked cars. Max was about to take a road bike, and Maggie was about to take a “fashion bike”.
“Everyone” I said. “Take mountain bikes”
I pulled my mountain bike out of the car. I waited outside for about ten minutes. We secured our packs and rode off.
A few minutes passed. We made it back to Michaelstown, where we discussed where we would go. We finally settled on Jones Farm.
“Why?” Max asked.
“There’s a creek there” I answered. “If we follow it, we’ve got a straight path to the mountains”.
At Jones Farm,  I found a crowd of people.
“What the” I said.
We ditched our bikes and snuck up behind them.
“Zombies” I whispered.
We snuck back to our bikes. We climbed on them and rode alongside the creek.

The following day, we reached Collins Park in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
“Why are we here?” Max asked.
“I’ve got a friend that lives here” I answered as we approached a house. Max, Tristan, Jay, and Maggie followed me to the sidegate. I tried to open it, but it was locked. We all set down our bikes. I pulled out my hatchet and hacked at it. After about ten hits, I broke the lock. We went through the gate. I grabbed a wood board and propped it up against the gate. Then there was a noise trap. It was two poles stuck into the ground with a rope going in between. Then there were empty bean and soup cans strung across. We all stepped over it. At the back door, I knocked. The door opened. My friend, Ashton, opened the door.
“Come on in, guys” he whispered.
I looked around. His room looked normal, except the curtain to the laundry room was torn down, and there was a stockpile of supplies. We all walked in and put our packs down. Ashton had an AR-15 laying on his bed.
“Glad to see you alive” I told Ashton.
“Yeah” Ashton said.
Then I noticed that the door to the rest of the house was shut, with boards across it.
That night, we sat around a fire outside. We roasted Venison over it. Once the meat was done, we feasted.
“So, what are we doing for beds?” I asked Ashton.
“I never really thought about it” Ashton answered.
“We could sleep on the floor” Jay suggested.
“That would overcrowd the room, five people on the floor in a small room” I replied.
“What about upstairs?” Max asked.
“The rest of my family turned up there on day one” Ashton said.
I walked away from the fire, I grabbed my crowbar from my pack.
“Let’s kill some zombies” I said.

Jay grabbed his Remington. I grabbed my AR-15. Ashton grabbed his Benelli. Maggie grabbed her machete. Max grabbed his Hunting Rifle. Tristan grabbed his M1 Garand . I used my crowbar to remove the boards from the door. I opened it. I set my crowbar down. I aimed my AR-15 up the stairs. Nothing. As I walked up, Ashton followed me. Max and Tristan provided cover at the bottom of the stairs, while Jay and Maggie waited in case all else failed.
“Hey Sam” Max alerted.
“Yeah” I responded.
“What if you get cornered?”
“I'll scream. Then you and Tristan help me”.
When we reached the top, two zombies came in on us. Ashton and I shot them down. We rushed over to the bodies.
“They don't look familiar” Ashton said. “They must be looters”
I scanned the kitchen. Nothing. Ashton’s parent’s room was closed. Ashton and I kicked down the doors. Two more zombies. This time, they were Ashton’s parents. He shot them. We scanned the rest of the house. There were no more zombies.
A few minutes later, all of us were dragging the bodies outside. Maggie lit a fire. We tossed all of the bodies in it.

In the morning, I stepped outside. I slipped off my shoes and climbed on the trampoline. I hadn’t had any fun in the past few days, and I was dying to get some exercise. Ashton monitored the radio constantly. At around noon, it all payed off. We got a signal. We all gathered around the radio to listen.
Hello. My name is Matt Hunt. If anybody is out there, listen. I’ve got a colony at Michaelstown Middle School. We’re currently trying to farm, and we’re all surviving off of scavenging and hunting. If you can hear this, come.
“KMS made it!” Max yelled.
“After the Attack” I said. “Some people could have repopulated a small area of the school”
“Well” Jay said. “Let’s go!”
Then we heard growling coming from outside.
“Max’s yelling must have attracted zombies” I said.
I grabbed my AR-15 and rushed outside. About fifty zombies were coming in on us. I closed the door and locked it. I rushed upstairs and headed out the front. The side gate was open. I ran over to the treehouse and kicked the ladder down. I aimed my gun and began shooting them. Ashton grabbed his Benelli and unlocked the door. He went outside and began shooting. Jay rushed over to the treehouse to help me. But he forgot his rifle. Max slung his rifle and grabbed Jay’s gun. He ran out, but it was too late. He saw Jay get completely devoured.
Max was shocked. He aimed Jay’s rifle and shot several zombies. We had about thirty down.
“RUN!” I yelled as I leapt onto the roof. I continued shooting zombies. I reloaded, then slipped onto the ground. Then I was cornered by several zombies. I pulled out my Beretta and dropped my AR-15. I quickly took them down. I put it away and grabbed my AR-15. I got onto my bike. I slung my AR. Max got onto his bike and followed me. We began to ride away. We saw Ashton fighting off oncoming zombies. Then they got him. Ashton slipped on his back as zombies pushed him down. He screamed as they bit into his throat. Maggie and Tristan biked out after us. A zombie caught Maggie off guard and almost bit her. I pulled out my Beretta and shot it. Maggie scrammed up and rode after Max and I. Tristan made it though. The rest of the zombies followed us as we sped down the mountain.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on Oct. 25 2017 at 12:57 pm
anonymouswriter101 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
@Killerworm990 nice job Andrew

on Oct. 24 2017 at 2:04 pm
Killerworm990, Cupertino, California
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments
I found this kind of ironic when I realized that the theme of this story perfectly fitted the time of year it was published :)