Call of The Phoenix | Teen Ink

Call of The Phoenix

By AngelicPhoenix GOLD, Tea, South Dakota
AngelicPhoenix GOLD, Tea, South Dakota

My favorite quote is I am protective and defensive of my wolf pack

Author's note:

A dream inspired me to write this

“Lucy! Run my child run!” I ran as quick as I could through the dark, and humid hall. Everything I passed was twisted in such a way like a horror movie in the creepy asylum. The front doors were rusted, with creaks that echoed throughout the building.
“They’d hear me,” I told myself figuring out a way to escape without being noticed. “The window!” I thought, sprinting towards the window I glanced around the room to retrieve anything that could possibly help me open the window. In my peripheral vision was an object, a metal rod used from an old metal table for the laboratory. I grabbed it quickly and used my strength to open the window, there I made my escape until…

“LUCY!!!” my mother bellowed from the downstairs living room, awaiting my arrival to her view.
“Yes, mom?” I replied quite scared of what had happened to get me into this amount of trouble.
“You’ve slept in late, and now you’re not going to arrive at school on time. Tell me, what dream is more important that your damn education!”
“Nothing mom, I’m heading to school right now enjoy your day!” I gathered my bag rushing to the blue suburban parked outside my house. Inside was my friend, she had beautiful golden locks that were bright and shiny when the sun's ray hit them. She also beautiful ocean blue eyes, that sparkled whenever she smiled.
Opening the suburban door, she spoke “Jesus Christ Lockwood, get your s*** together.” her name was Rachel.
“If I did, I wouldn’t be me,” I replied
“I know I know, but then we wouldn’t be late every day.” the conversation only lasted a second before I collapsed and the dream continued.

“GRAB HER!” I bolted for the gates, leaving them sprinting after me. I arrived grabbing the bars of the gates, then started to climb the pole. “You won’t get far Lucille!!” they gave a look of vexation. I ran the walls to the end, I leaped off the wall and landed on my arm, fracturing it. I closed my eyes in anguish, the pain scorching inside. I was free, but I didn’t know where I was, where was I?
“Welcome Phoenix to your new home.” A light appeared in front of me, splashing my face. A figure appeared of a woman, the image cleared. The flames her hair appeared to be flourished wildly around her. Her eyes were the sun shining across the land, blinding those who looked directly.
“Phoenix?” I questioned, appearing with shock, and awe. She glanced at me, eyes dimming to a darker color, the look of red. Every inch of light that surrounded her dimmed, there she appeared to look human. She had pale skin, hair with the colors of red, and yellows patterned in the way to make flames. She sauntered over kneeling to my level, I stared at her, the view of her made me feel warm inside. “Who are you?” I asked her.
“I am-”

I woke up in a hospital room, blinded by the light on the ceiling, around me I was surrounded by people. “Are you okay Lucille?” I glanced around the room, it was a familiar room, similar to the one in my dream.
“What happened?” I questioned.
“You just collapsed, I had to call the school to explain why you were late.” Her mother replied a sound of panic flooded her voice. She was agonized, afraid I was going to die.
The doctor walked in, looking bewildered about the results he held in his hand, “Hello, Mrs. Lockwood can I speak with you?” he asked.
“Yeah, what seems to be the problem?” She made her way out of the room, followed by the doctor.
“Your daughter seems to be carrying a blood type our machines don’t even know?” he revealed the results.

“My name is Hestia, goddess of the hearth and its flame.” she replied

It all ended, everything changed, and I didn’t know what was happening.

-3 weeks before the dreams started-
“Mom I’m ready for school!” I screamed up to her from the bottom of the stairs. She sprinted smiling happily.
“My baby is starting her first day of being a high school Senior, I’m so proud of you baby!” she squealed before hugging me tightly, keeping me from heading off to the bus. The first day was different, everyone looked different, everyone looked older.
“Miss Lockwood, please report to the office for your school I.D.,” a teacher said walking past me, dazed by the clipboard she held in her hand. I sauntered over to the secretary for my I.D. and noticed an aura flourishing around my body.
“Sorry about that Lucille, the photographer messed up your photo.”
“It’s fine Ms. Frank, doesn’t look too bad, it actually looks really pretty.” I stared at the photo then noticed a face inside the aura. “Odd…”
“What was that Lucille?”
“Oh, nothing thank you, Ms. Frank.” I graced my way from the secretary down to first hour, history. In my first hour was my best friend Luke, he had dirty blonde hair and a smile that lightened the room. But every time he opened his mouth, it killed everyone.
“Lucy! My man, how’s it going, still daunting over that sex machine Chase?”
“Shut up Luke, you’re still sucking your own c***.”
“True, but how you two doing? You still together?”
“No, he broke up with me because his mom said I wasn’t a pure breed.”
“Wait, she’s comparing you to a dog?”
The teacher walked in, slamming the door shut making it so everyone glanced that direction shook. “Sit down in your chairs before I do something I don’t want to do!”
Luke whispered “He’s just upset because he doesn’t have anyone to make him hard.” everyone that surrounded us snickered, getting glares from the teacher.

The school was different that year, the teachers treated everyone differently, and Luke was even sicker than the year before. “Luke, would you accompany me at Denali’s Cafe for a friendly lunch?”
“Yeah, that sounds good.” we raced down to the corner, laughing before we noticed something odd. A boy with a flamed hood staring at us, Luke noticed him first. His face was partially covered by the hood that dropped over head creating a dark shadow, all you could see was his eyes and part of the tattoo that seemed to cover his face. His eyes looked to be a golden yellow, and the tattoo was part of a wing, that looked to appear from a bird of some sort. “Luce, stop staring and keep moving. You don’t know what he wants from you.”
“Alright.” Luke wrapped his arm tightly around my body, protectively, everything changing into a more serious mood. He was scared, afraid of what might happen if the hooded man were to encounter us. Luke directed me to our left, avoiding the guy who stared us down. “Do you think he was going to hurt us?” I asked him,
“Who knows, but I’m not going to find out, I’m not taking chances.”

The next day we didn’t see the man again, we wandered down the sidewalk we took yesterday down to Luke’s house. “Guess what?” Luke asked, looking enthusiastic.
“What?” I replied.
“I got a new video game!” he bounced around like a puppy who was excited because it received a brand-new toy it could mess around with. “It came out last year and my mom finally found the time to get it for me!”
“That’s awesome, aren’t you going to play it?”
“Yeah, that’s the reason why I asked for you to come over to my place…” he started off, breaking his enthusiastic state into a calm and poetic gesture. “I was hoping that you would have the honors of playing with me?” he asked, looking at me with a scared, yet gentle look. A look a boy gets when he first asks the girl he’s been passionate about loving for his entire life to have the honor of going on a date.
“You sound like a boy asking out his first crush,” I told him, trying not to laugh, then a look of disappointment faded upon his face. Turning red, feeling rejected his attitude changed,

“N-no, I’m simply just asking you to play a game… it’s not like that at all!” his breathing got shallow, his face turning a darker shade of red. “You don’t have to play, I mean you don’t even have t-”

I interrupted, “You like me, don’t you?” he turned away from me starting to panic.

“N-no, just I- SO WHAT I DO OK! A BOY ISN’T ALLOWED TO LIKE A GIRL!” it gradually got worse, then minutes passed and it lightened up again. “It’s just yesterday when that guy was there staring at you, it made me feel like I needed to do something to protect you. That’s why I wrapped my arm around you, for protection. I didn’t want anything to happen to you, it’s stupid I know and I’m a bastard, but I just don’t want to see you go.” he looked at me, his blue eyes shining at me like diamonds.

“Luke, I’m sorry, but I don’t like you like that…” I turned away, afraid to look at him and the rejection I stabbed into his heart. “Maybe I should just go.” I sprinted out of the room, and out of the house, getting away from the awkward situation. I left him there, hurt, and disappointed, I couldn’t face him tomorrow, not after the pain I just stabbed him with.