Realms | Teen Ink

Realms

May 11, 2017
By Grndma, Cape Canaveral, Florida
More by this author
Grndma, Cape Canaveral, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The night falls and I’m watching a movie, but something doesn’t feel right. Is the popcorn expired? Is this movie rated poorly? I have no idea. It’s probably nothing. I’m probably just crazy. *Door squeaks*. “Hello? Can I help you?” I walk to the door to shut it tight thinking it was just a late night’s breeze. A young child, maybe 4-5 years old, confronts me unexpectedly. “You startled me. Where’s your parents?” She doesn’t respond and begins to cry. I ask her, “Are you okay?” She looks up to me, wipes her tears with her knuckle, and gradually forces a slight grin. I introduce myself, “Well, my name is Tyler. Your's?” She responds with “Levin.” I tell her that she is welcome to stay as long as she needs to. Levin thanks me and gives me a hug. In the corner of my eye I can see her feet in a tippy-toe position. She is a one petite girl.

I reach for my phone to check the time. “It's quarter after ten. Do you have somewhere to be?” She replies with, “...Here. That’s why I walked in through your door.” I tell her that it invades people’s privacy to do that, respectfully of course, understanding that she was quite young. “I knew you would welcome me.” Without second thought. I let out the words, “Levin, why DO you need to be here at quarter after ten anyways?”

“My realm guardian sent me.” She stumbles her words. I can tell she is hesitant about the question and she instantly regrets her response. I congratulate her on her unique imagination. She sighs and asks with slight disappointment, “Would you believe me if I told you that what I just said was true?” I don’t know what to say. I’m speechless as I tell her, “As much as I don't want to believe it, I sincerely do.” I think to myself, “Maybe this is what Jesse, my friends brother was talking about when we went camping last weekend. Jesse was ecstatic about his somewhat similar experience. Levin grins to one cheek and tells me that she appreciates me believing her. She asks me if I need proof. “Proof of what? I already believe you.” Levin replies in a slightly lower tone of voice, “Just to assure you…” I don’t know what kind of proof she is trying to reveal to me. “Anyways, what’d you say?” She raises her tone with this sentence exposing a happier and jubilant mood. “Er… Sure! Why not?”

“Well, just to let you know, my Realm Guardian, they're not expecting company...” She warns me. “They?” I ask in a confused voice. “Genderless,” she briefly informs me. “Ah, I see.” She leads me outside, stops directly beneath the moon and grabbed my hand. A purple-ish colored tornado of light surrounds us. A large spiral staircase comes into view as Levin guides me up the stairs. At the top of the stairs, there’s an extensive hallway that seems interminable. As we are walking down the long, narrow corridor, Levin joyfully exclaims, “Welcome to the Time Corridor!”


“So does that mean we are traveling time?” I ask with curiosity and excitement. “Eh… Not necessarily… We are traveling realms… We just call it the time corridor because depending on where in the corridor you are, it’s a different time. In your realm it’s called ‘time zones.’ Correct?” I respond with a nod and understanding. Levin tells me that her guardian is all the way at the end of the corridor so she insists that we check out the other realms on the way. “Sounds cool!”

“So you see that green door over there? We are going through it,” Levin tells me. I walk up to the door, poised but nervous, and slowly turn the knob while mentally preparing myself for what I am about to witness. “Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it,” Levin can tell I'm nervous. We open the door and we walk into a motherboard field. We follow a circuit trail. “So...remember when I began to cry when you asked where my parents were?” I reply with a nod. “Well… They… are locked up. My mother was an illegal realm hacker and my father was a ‘most wanted’ criminal. There’s a realm that’s used as a prison among the wanderers.” My feedback is, “Oh...sounds tough… and what exactly is a… wanderer?”

“Oh yeah. I forgot to tell you. I’m a Realm Wanderer, a semi-human that is born with the purpose of exploring, justifying, and claiming realms! We also reward those that deserve so and punish those who treat life incorrectly!”

“You rehearsed, eh?” Not to sound rude of course. “Well… More like it was programmed into my brain *chuckles*.”

“Anyways...how are you not freaking out right now?”

“I read a whole lot of books in the fantasy genre…”

“Oh okay..fair enough”

We trot down the circuit as we finally decide to head back. “So it doesn’t seem like there’s too much in this realm.”

“Yeah… just a bunch of energy farms and cable mines.”

We get about a foot away from the vibrant green door ready to see things unimaginable.

“Hey… I got you a souvenir, Tyler.”

“Cool! A mini motherboard! But can I ask you something while we walk?”

“Of course! Ask away.”

“Okay Levin... so… Why me?”

“What do you mean?”

“Why did you come to my house and bring me here?”

“Because like I said… Realm Wanderers reward those who deserve so.”

“Okay, but I don’t remember doing anything to deserve this.”

“Your case is special. We are rewarding you for not believing what Jesse told you.”

“Okay… I’m guessing you see and hear everything. But how does that deserve a reward?”

“Because if a human being tells another human being about Realm Wanderers, we become exposed and it degrades our value.”

“Makes sense.”

We strut up to the next door with a sign that reads: “RESIDENTIAL PROVINCE,” this time a yellow glowing door. “So judging by the name… this is where you live, correct?” I guess. “Yes. Indeed. I live by myself though,” Levin says as she looks down at the ground.

“Oh... I’m sorry…”

“No need to apologize… It’s obviously not your fault.”

“I know… I said sorry in a sense of empathy. I, too, live alone”

She nods and tells me that she appreciates my empathy.

We confidently open the door as we are greeted by fancy condos and shops. It looks just like my hometown. Everyone walking around looks like your average, everyday human.

“All of these people are realm wanderers?” I ask with curiosity.

“No. Some are realm snatchers, they steal your realms if a realm wanderer looks them directly in the eyes.”

“So… Like robbers in my realm, but... overpowered?”

“Sort of.”

We head over to Levin’s house and she asks, “ So… What’s it like being a normal girl?”

“Well… Its kinda boring. 0% adventure and 80% going to classes I won’t need and worst of all, 10% stereotypes.”

She nodded with sympathy. “What’s the other 10%?”

“Cliques. No matter how unique your personality is, you WILL be shoved into a clique.”

She looks up to me in confusion. “... But we have cliques here too. It’s probably not as bad here though because everyone’s usually on the lookout for undiscovered realms to explore and claim.”

“Your life sounds SO cool!”

“Yeah… It’s cool for the most part, but sometimes when I discover a new realm, miners from the digital ward claim it for themselves.”

“Well other than bragging rights… What do you get out of claiming realms?”

“Actually a lot of things. Fame, Glory, Pride, but the best of all, a Luz Opal!” Levin says confidently. “...And i have one.”

“Hey no need to brag now. Anyways what is this so called ‘opal’?”

“It’s proof that you found and claimed the realm. It also looks really cool.”

“You said that you had one?”

“Yeah! Follow me to my kitchen. There’s a secret door.” She opens the oven door and says “After you.”

“Okay…?”

It’s a small room. I have to duck to fit.

“There’s a gem. But not just any gem. It has what looks like an ancient egyptian pyramid. “Tyler, this realm, that I am proud to say is mine, was originally linked to the ancient egyptians. The organisms living in this realm often traded information and structures with the ancient egyptians. How the egyptians met them is still a mystery but it’s still quite fascinating.”

“Wow…”

“Yeah. I expected you to be speechless, but at least you said something.”

We stop by the nearest food joint as we were quite hungry. I order a fruit salad but instead of your generic strawberry or cantaloupe, the salad is filled many exotic fruits like dragon fruit and snake fruit. I turn quickly after hearing a sore grunt. There’s a freakishly tall man with a hat that was hiding his face. He says, “You think you can get away with this?”

“... With what?” I make sure he knows I’m confused by pulling a puzzled look on my face. “You are… Tyler. Correct?”

Levin pulls the spotlight upon herself. “And you are?” She seems very assured. “I’m Wade. Wahid Wade. I’m here to arrest you two.”

“Uh. I think you have the wrong people.”

“Uh. I think not.” He pulls up a wanted poster with a picture of two people stealing an opal but it looks like us, although neither of us remember stealing anything at all. “Sorry but Levin and I can guarantee you that those figures in the photo aren’t us.”

“Look. I’m not here to listen to you deny your crimes, I’m just here to make sure you get to the forbidden corner.” We agree to allow him to take us custody, scheming a way to sneak out.

“Enjoy your stay,” Wahid says with sarcasm and exhaustion. We inspect the titanium bars, 2 inches apart, allowing us to recognize that sneaking through the bars would not be an option. Sitting across from us is an elderly man. He seems to be censuring us quite harshly. Slowly walking up to the force field that is the bars, I swallow my fear and ask for his name. “Ernie Kermit. Why must you know?”

“Well. We believe that we were brought here by mistake.”

“I’d usually respond with not my problem, but I know how I could help you.”

“I couldn’t thank you enough.”

“My pleasure. You two are too youthful for a place like this.”

Keeping a distance from the cells in which we pass, I keep my chin up, following Ernie down the extensive hallway. We approach an oval shaped desk. “0384r8hdw*,” Ernie says to the lady at the desk in a robot-like voice. The lady nods in confirmation and asks, “Name and reasoning?”

“Ernie Kermit. Unreasonable captivity.”

“Okay Ernie, right down the hall to the left, then go down the regal stairway. You will then be greeted by Mr. Wade.”

“I’m aware of the necessary procedures but thanks Sands.”

Levin and I begin to panic. “Ernie, please tell me there is another way. Wade was the scapegrace who got us in here!” I let out a fragment of my fear whilst unwillingly storing most of it. “ Well… we could take the elevator, but some of the toughest, most intimidating people take the elevator.”

“Let’s do it.” Levin nods with determination. “If you say so.”

Walking into the elevator, Ernie jabs the button labeled “1- Exit”

Standing alongside us is a tall, buff women. The elevator ride is quite awkward, so I decide to attempt a conversation, “Hello. Tyler. Your name?” She peers down on me, scoffs, and continues staring at the reflective elevator walls. Just as I think this ride couldn’t get any more awkward, Levin and Ernie look at me with a face of disappointment, in which the women definitely notices. The woman starts to shake, not because of the elevator, but looks as if she’s undergoing a spastic attack. We reach the first floor with a breathe of relief. “Ouch. What was that?”

“I don’t know, Levin.”

“*Gasps* Ernie! Uh, how much weight can you carry?” He was laying on the floor, still breathing, but definitely injured.

“Maximum of 80 lbs. I’m not very athletic.”

“Perfect! You can carry the lower, heavier half of him, and I’ll carry the rest.”

“Okay… what do we do?

“Bring him to my guardian” Wade stood behind us as we struggled to lift him. “Oh do you need help?”

“Wahid? Wahid Wade? No! We can lift him ourselves!” I scream.

“Well… you can either let me help him and give me the opal, or you can let him die and keep the opal.”

“Sorry but we don’t need your help. Walk on Wade.”

“Do you really plan on carrying him all the way to your guardian?”

“Yes, because I have Tyler here to help.”

“Huh. A cosmic MORTAL!? You disappointed me.”

“How so?”

“You are better than this.”

“Better than what?”

“Levin.”

“...how do you know my name?”

“Levin. I know you.”

“Prove it!”

I sit there with a blank expression, wondering what was going on. “Levin, don’t trust him.” Wahid glances at me.

“Why not?”

“Because where I’m from, there’s a saying. Stranger danger.”

“I’m no stranger… I can prove it.” Wahid takes his hat off, covering his eyes with his hands. “I am Joby Hurlock.” Levin walks up to him and doesn’t question how he got out of captivity because she was happy to see him again. “Would you like to go to Euphoria with us?”

“Sure, Levin.” I approach Joby, Wahid’s real name, and apologize for my assumptions.

We parade about half a mile until we get to “Euphoria.” From what Levin tells me, Euphoria is supposedly a place reserved for happiness, energy, and generally a place to lift your mood. I look up into the sky of rainbows and unicorns. Just kidding. It’s even cooler than that. This place is magical… whimsical… anthophilous. With all of the pastel colors beyond the scale we see on Earth. “Levin… I don’t want to go back to Earth”

“I know, but you have family, friends, and beaches.”

“I live in Ohio, which doesn’t really connect to the ocean.”

“You have the ability to simply drive a couple hundred miles to one though.”

“Yeah I guess you’re right.” I guess I really haven’t taken the time to appreciate my luxuries. As nice as this place is, I really do love where I’m from. Even, if it’s not like this on Earth. “I guess people just like change.”

“What do you mean by that, Levin.”

“People like new places and new things because it’s different and pushes them out of their comfort zone. Some people like being out of their comfort zone.”

“Maybe that’s why I wasn’t as uncomfortable in the corner than I expected,” Joby says. “Dad, where’s mom?”

There was no response.

The ground begins to shake and shiver. My life flashed before my eyes. A pale woman approaches us. She has light blue hair, shoulder length and pale pink and white antlers with brown patches erected from her head. She was gorgeous, elegant. “Salutations, I’m Irene Fern, goddess of this Euphoria. What seems to be the problem?” she says in a soft voice.

“Nothing, Irene,” Joby tells her.

“Are you sure? I could sense worrisome.”

“Well, my father, Tyler, and I were just talking about my mother and I’m worried about her.”

“Would it help to know how your mother is doing?”

“Yes please. It’s been ages since I have seen her.”

She guides us to what appears a fox hole, but much, much larger. “Right this way.” She takes us to a room that looks like a planetarium. We take a seat as Irene puts an eyeglass firmly over her right eye. It’s a projector? The eyeglass, from what Irene tells us, projects the images in her mind. “How does she know who my mother is? I haven't told her anything yet.” Joby and I peer at her with sympathetic confusion. “Silly, as a realm goddess and caretaker, I can access other realms through my mind. Kinda like a custodian can access all of the rooms in a building but way cooler and a bit more complicated.” The projector switches on. Irene’s finger swipes through the air to switch realms like flipping channels on a television. After a few switches, we witness a horror no Hollywood film could ever top. Levin’s mom appeared to be repeatedly hit in her left temple with an opal by her own realm guardian. “No. Come on Irene, take us there!” Levin tears up after the terrifying sight.

“Levin. We mustn't go until the Dynasty District opens it’s gates.”

“Understood, but she is in danger.”

“Listen, Levin. Your mother is fine. She’s a Realm Snatcher, alike your father. Immortal beings, realm snatchers are…”

“Is her realm guardian aware of this?”

“I’m sure of it. Just relax, maybe she’s being modified, you know… to a realm wanderer.”

The conversation bewilders me. “I thought realm wanderers were immortal.”

Levin answers, “Well… we live for a very long time, but we aren’t exactly… immortal.”

“Well the gates should be opening soon.”

“You’re right, Joby. We should get going.”

We walk through the hallway in silence, yearning for an answer of what was happening to Levin’s mom. “Looks like we’re gonna have to wait a bit. There’s a pretty long line.”

“Yeah. Not surprised. After all, it is the 2nd largest realm ever.” Levin says, annoyed.

“What’s the biggest?”

“The Cosmos silly!”

“Oh. Wow. Duh.”

Irene enters the conversation. “The Cosmos houses many, many places. We have been exploring the Cosmos for thousands and thousands of years but there’s still so much to explore.”

“Okay, miss smarty pants. But I seriously couldn't explain it better than you.”

Joby lifts his hat swiftly, glancing at the line. “Hey, I think we can go in now. The line has shortened tremendously.”

As we walk up to the unimaginably large titanium gates, we are greeted with the soft songs and whispers of arguably the most heavenly voices. The moment we cross over the line that separates the corridor and the dynasty district, it's as if we walked right outside on earth. The darkness of the night sky hugs our skin. Stars are brighter and more plentiful here than on earth, though. I’m all about the starry night vibes. “Excuse me, mortal, but I doubt you're where you need to be.” A short, elderly woman steps in front of me. Irene approaches the lady. “The girl’s with me.”

“Oh I do apologize, Irene. I wasn't aware of your presence.”

“It's all good. Take care Sal.”

Irene leads us into a stable-like room. “Wait… So you're telling me Minokawas are real?”

“I’m not telling you, you can see for yourself.”

Joby turns on the light. The light is a glowing, orange crystal.

“Giddy up, Ty!”

“Seriously? We get to ride those things?”

“Yup. You should ride Ryujin. She’s easy to handle. Also, because I call dibs on Gary.”

“I’ll ride Eve. Joby, you can ride Gaia” Irene says as she mounts her steed. The flying creatures floated above the ground and drifted away from the gates. In the distance, I could see an ocean of… Stars?

“See those bright glowy things, Tyler?”

“Yeah… Are those stars?”

“Those are Rigels. That's where Guardians live. Some of them make up constellations in your realm because they're so bright.”

“Fascinating. So are Guardians semi-human?”

“You'll see…”

Arrival. Finally. I can't wait to meet Levin’s mom, but kinda scared of what Levin meant by ‘You'll see.’ The entrance was not at all what I would expect. The sphere opens like a round jewelry box. Parking the Minokawas in a small, dim-lit area, we walk to the Guardian’s throne. “Who’s there?” A lisp voice echoes. “Hey, Aspen! It's Irene! Nice to see you again!”

“Oh, Irene how have you been?!”

“I've been great! You?”

“I've been wonderful. Absolutely wonderful!”

“That's great!”

Realm Guardians are my new favorite things in existence. At least Levin’s mom seemed pretty chill. And don't get me started on how gorgeous they are. Imagine a sheep head, with a long neck, a horse’s body, and a long, cat-like tail.

“Hey… Levin? Is that you?” Levin’s mom walks in.

“Oh my goodness. Mom?! I've missed you so, so much.”

Levin's mom has dark, wavy hair and hollow cheekbones. But she also had a pair of dark sunglasses, making it impossible to see her eyes. “Guess what, Levin!”

“What, mom?”

“I can take off these glasses now!”

“How?!”

“I've been mortalized because a young man from the cosmos was the perfect candidate for my guardian’s big plan to become allies with mortals. Therefor, I donated my immortality to him so he could find the forgetful gem, which basically has the power to make an entire realm forget everything that happened in the past 24 hours of using it, in case the humans aren't ready for it. Oh, who's this?”

“Oh, mom, this is Tyler. Tyler, this is Isa Karen, my mom, and Aspen August, my mom’s Realm Guardian.”

“Pleasure to meet you Tyler.”

“It's nice to meet you, as well.”

Isa takes off her sunglasses and Levin is greeted with her mother’s eyes for the very first time.

“So mom, who’s this chap you're talking about?”

“Oh, right. Jesse! Come here!”

A dude walks in wearing a long, black robe. He takes off the hood of his robe, revealing his face.

“Jesse Castano?!”

“Tyler Schoff?!”

“What are you doing here?!”

“I could be asking you the same question!”

Aspen adjusts their position. “You two know each other? What a coincidence!”

“Jesse, so this is where you've been?”

“Yeah…” Isa confronts me. “How about you two go together? What’d you say?”

“Are you kidding me? You want me to make that difficult of a decision right now?”

“Oh you're right I'm sorry.”

Levin struts up. “She's not going, if I can't come. That journey would take a lot of strength and courage.”

“I'm sorry sweetie, but the carriage only holds two people.”

Aspen had something to say. “Levin, maybe since you've always begged me for a life on earth, I can transition you and your parents to a complete human, and you can go to the Cosmos with Tyler.”

“I really like that offer, but Tyler? What do you think?”

“I think that's a great idea! Jesse? You wanna come?”

“Sorry Tyler, but I'm dead. I was killed because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Tyler tell everyone in the cosmos that I love them. Bye now.”

“Okay. I understand… And will do. Bye Jesse, I'll miss you. You're a great friend.”

“Thanks. You are, too.”

“Isa, Joby, Levin, are you ready?”

“Yes.” They say synchronized.

Aspen wraps their long neck around them as Irene and I watch lights shoot from behind. After about 5 minutes of waiting, aspen slowly reveals the three of them. Levin, as a human, is the same age as me, 19. “Levin, we should be roommates!”

“Yes! We should!”

We head back through the long Time Corridor. On the way back, we peered into the windows, which overlooked the Wanderer’s Academy. We could see Wanderer's in training just, well, wandering.

“Hey, Levin, you're a cool person, and I want to thank you for this journey.”

“No problem. Remember? Wanderers reward those who deserve so.”

“Yeah, but there's nothing I could've done to deserve as much as you gave me.”

“Well, you're special.”

Levin and I got an apartment together and even adopted an adorable kitty cat named Opal. Levin’s parents no longer had to cover their eyes and occasionally go back to visit Aspen, Irene, and Jesse.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.