The Room | Teen Ink

The Room

April 24, 2017
By KiranMartinez, George town, Other
More by this author
KiranMartinez, George Town, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Room
      


“GET OUT, GET OUT, GET OUT” The voices intensified as they screamed inside my head. The searing pain on my temples is too much to bear as I lay on the rock hard concrete floor of “The Room”. They speak of equations too advanced to understand. I beg them to stop and only when I write down what they say, they stop. They disappear within minutes but leave my heart empty.

The outsiders call me subject 247 but I would prefer they call me Scotty. I live in “The Room” a concrete box with no windows, a sink, mirror, toilet, clock and a bed stuck to the wall. It has a titanium reinforced door with a slot for food. I know of nothing else besides “The Room”. They tell me I would leave soon, but that was four years ago.

My 14th birthday is this august. I wouldn't know since the outsiders never told me.I created one of my own. I eat three times a day and it is always the same meal every time. Breakfast: oatmeal and toast and juice, Lunch: grilled cheese and chips, Dinner: Pot roast and boiled potatoes. Not the feast I want but it keeps me alive.

Everyday I dream of escaping this wretched place but I have had no success, so far. Today was wednesday  February 13  2021. it was a normal day, I had my steaming hot oatmeal with my buttered toast. I lay on my rock hard bed with my hands behind my head. I look at the ceiling.
Skyler is my made up friend, she keeps me company when i’m bored and want to talk to someone. She has dirty blonde hair with blue eyes. She is 5’6 and has a narrow face. She wears a ponytail and a short sleeve shirt with black pants.

I hear a mumble in the back of my head and it grows to a loud whisper. I think to myself
it’s the voices.

They speak not in equations this time  but in words. They say “you’ll never get out, you might as well stop.”

I squeeze my right hand into a fist and hit the concrete wall near the door. My knuckles were stripped of the skin and blood was bubbling out. The smell of iron filled my nose. I used my pillow case to wrap around my hand and slow the bleeding, this was not the first time.

I looked in the mirror as a tear ran down my cheek. I cry not from the pain on the outside, but the pain on the inside.I look at the mirror and see a boy with dark brown hair and a pronounced face.

I hear the ringing of a bell. it is time for bed. i climb into my sheets and pull them up to my face, I close my eyes and fall asleep in about 2 minutes.

A thunderous boom awoke me from my sleep. it shook the whole room, the water in the toilet rippled like mini tsunamis. The sound of muffled voices penetrate the door.

“The outsiders”

I creep up to the door and press my ear to the cold metal. I hear yelling, the yelling of men. The ear piercing sound of a scream entered my head I stepped back in pain as my mind felt like exploding.

The door started shaking as a sound like thunder came from outside it. The handle broke off the door and the sound stopped. I hide under my bed as the click clack of foot steps enter the room. The smell of gunpowder was wafted into my nose. The feet walk horizontally to my view. They turn in my direction. Two hands thrust down and grab me by my collar. I am pulled out from under the bed, I yell as loud as I can. I close my eyes and wave my hands to defend myself. The attacker grabs my arms and puts a hand over my mouth. I open my eyes and see her. “Skyler?” a brown cloth bag in put over my head and a needle was injected into my arm. My words become mashed together and quite, I drift off into a deep sleep.

I wake up and i’m sitting in a metal folding chair with a bag over my head and my arms and waist tied up. The bag is pulled off my head violently and I open my eyes to a  light as bright as the sun. My eyes adjust and i’m sitting in a vehicle. Sitting next to me was a person wearing full body armour with a gun in his hands.  The ride goes on for about half an hour before we stop. A speaker turns on above my head, “subject 247, please proceed to exit the vehicle in a slow calk manner.
“Call me scotty from now on ok?” 
The speaker shuts off and the door to the back of the van unlocks.
A line of guards guide me out. Before me stands a small shed with enough room to fit about 5 people.
They shove me in it with my hands still tied behind my back. In the shed was nothing besides a chair with a seat belt on it.
“Why would they put a seat belt on a chair in a small room.” I soon realized why, I sprinted but was too late. The shed shot downwards at what seemed like 150 mph. I thought I was going to die.

I floated from the ground and was free falling in the shed. I knew I should get on the floor before it hit the bottom. I used my feet to maneuver the small room and was soon lying on the floor. I screamed and it started to slow down. Not in one moment but slowly.  “I survived”, I thought to myself. The door opened with a creak. And outside was a girl. She was the prettiest girl I have ever seen, even though she was the only girl I have seen. She had cuts along her arms and face. She grabbed me by hands and pulled me up. We walked down the hall and we went into a interrogation room. She gave me a seat and sat across from me.
“Who are you”  I said
“Please let me ask the questions 247”
“Its scotty to you”
“Okay then, scotty Where have you been your whole life”
“In the room”
“Okay” she said.”  “Have you experienced any inner voices?”
“Yes” I said confused and a little scared
She gave me a sheet of paper with an equation I have never seen before.
They started to come, the intense pain was growing inside my head. I screamed in pain. She put her hands to my head and the pain eased She said “I haven't introduced myself yet”

“Im skyler, i’m your guardian” “I was sent by the ones above to protect you from harm” “I am a digital representation”
“But how-how did I know your name and know how you look?”
“That is for you to know, after all you do know everything about the universe”
“What?” I was very confused at this point
“You are the chosen, a selected few to empower the next generation of super soldiers.”
“But why me?”
“Because, you are one of a few who has the brain power to control the world, and with that I am done talking”
“But wait” I said
“She walked out the door and left me”
That was it, I was alone forever.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.