Collin and the World Elements | Teen Ink

Collin and the World Elements

March 23, 2017
By lclarkc, Newyork, New York
More by this author
lclarkc, Newyork, New York
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My eyes scan the room but stopped when i see her. Everly hemzel. The most beautiful girl to walk the earth. Her big chestnut eyes, full of life looking down at a book, not paying attention to anything Ms.York is saying. Her long chocolate brown hair straight as a ruler falls over her shoulders and reach down to her hips. She’s wearing a silky skirt with the lightest shade of green, that comes down to her crossed ankles. Her feet are barely covered by tan colored sandals lined with tiny flowers. She wears a rosy pink spaghetti strap tank top, which shows a tiny bit of her flat stomach. Her tan and sees to glow from the light coming in from the window.

I close my eyes and imagine us together. Holding hands walking down the beach at sunset, but the image quickly changes. I’m in a glass box, about 9 feet, much taller than my wimpy 5’7. I look around me and see nothing. It’s pitch black. I feel my feet get cold and look down to see that my old hand me down black sneakers were drenched. Water was filling up the glass box. Quickly. Great. If only i got more into magic like my little brother Isaac. The water was at my knees now. I look around for something to get me out of here. Nothing. It was at my hips now. I didn't want to do this, but you asked for it. I tighten my knuckles into a fist and punch the glass as hard as I can. At impact i regret it. “OW” I yell. My hand throbs. The water was at my neck now. I give up. I brace myself as the water covers my head and i float upward towards the top. I start to swim to the top but quickly realize I didn't need to. I’m not out of breath. I take in a breath. Woah. WOAH! This is awesome!!

“Collin….” I hear someone call my name.

“Collin..” It’s getting louder.

“COLLIN!” I snap awake. I lift my head and Ms. York’s wrinkly face is looking at me. She is not happy. I can feel my face getting red hot while everyone's eyes are glued on me. I half smile while Ms. York’s laser beam eyes burn through me. She doesn’t say anything at first, just stares at me, But finally after about 10 very awkward seconds she says two words.

“Hall.” There is a short pause in between the words.

“Now.” she says not taking her eyes off me.

I slowly got up and did the walk of shame towards the door. As I made my way I looked to both sides of me. Everyone was staring at me, Except for one. Everly. She had her nose stuck in a book not having any knowledge of what is going on around her. This is so embarrassing I think to myself. I wasn't paying attention and almost ran straight into the door. Now that would put this terrible moment over the top. I gripped the door handle and quickly turned it,  pushed the door open and nearly jumped out into the hall, then quietly shut the door behind me. I looked at the clock hanging on the wall. 10:57. Eight Minutes until Lunch. What am I supposed to do? Sit out here. I let my thoughts take control of my body, and I remembered the glass box. Was that a dream? Was it real life? Maybe i'm getting old and it was a vision? I would have thought about it more but I was interrupted with an opening of the door. Out stepped Ms. York and she turned to face me.

“That's the third time this week Mr. Waters. I'm going to have to call your parents.” she says.

This didn't really bother me. My parents are both workaholics so they rarely ever pay any attention to me.

“Do you understand me Mr. Waters?” I give a simple nod and she smiles.

“Right then. You can come back to-” the bell rings. I walk past her and into the classroom to gather my stuff and I head to the lunchroom.


I push open the lunchroom doors and head to my table. Most of the time I sit alone. I know that sounds sad but I really don't mind it. Being alone. It leaves me time to think. I open my brown crumpled paper bag and pull out my messy peanut butter sandwich. She has her nose stuck in the same book as science class. She has her book bag that seems to resemble a tree the way the pattern looks like tree bark and the way leaves and flowers seem to grow up the straps. I must have been staring long but she's just so- BAM. My face hits the floor. I have a very low pain tolerance and boy did that hurt, but that wasn't the worst of my problems right now because I know who did this. I turn myself around and standing over me is Luke Mickelson and his gang. His skin is so light it might as well be snow. Its covered in freckles from the top of his forehead to the tip of his chin. His eyebrows are arched showing that he is anger. Uh oh. That can't be good. His hair is spiked up. Bright red, matching the color of a pumpkin. He holds a paper up to my face. It's a grade sheet. I scan the sheet and see his Math grade has dropped from a D to an F. I look across the paper and my stomach drops. I was supposed to do his homework. The big red zero seems to be flashing red like a siren. I look up at him. He is mad. So mad I swear I can see steam coming out of his ears. I'm scared for my life.

“Fix It.” He says trying to control his temper. I say nothing.

“FIX IT BEFORE I MESS YOU UP!” He screams at me. Now the whole lunchroom is staring at us. Still I say nothing. I don't know what to say. I feel like if say something it will be the wrong thing, when the overall outcome is going to be me getting punched.

“That's it” he says as he pulls his arm back getting ready to punch me. I close my eyes waiting for the worst, But it doesn't come. I wait a few more seconds just in case it was a delay. Nothing. Slowly I open my eyes and Luke's fist is millimeters away from my face and stopping it is the beautiful delicate hands of Everly Hemzel.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.