Hail and Farewell | Teen Ink

Hail and Farewell

March 20, 2017
By Malig, Staten Island, New York
More by this author
Malig, Staten Island, New York
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.”


Haven stood in a plain of nothingness. All she could see was vast and undying whiteness. The lack of pigment make her feel like she was going insane; an unbearable itch on the inside of her skull. She felt as if she were floating. Her body felt absolutely weightless and the hairs on the back of her neck and arms were standing stiff and tall, like a soldier waiting for orders from his lieutenant. Haven felt her soul resigning in her chest. A feeling like no other. A strange pressure that pushed from the inside out while also making her feel completely empty. She wanted to dig her hand into her chest and rip out this terrible feeling. Suddenly a large pool of swirling purple darkness appeared on the ground in front of her.

The darkness contorted itself making it look like human faces screaming out in agony. Wind rushed out of the unknown darkness and whipped her short dark brown hair all across her face, the pressure so strong that she felt like her hair would be torn out of her skull. She threw her arms in front of her lightly freckled face to protect herself from the killer wind.

As the wind died down she lowered her arms only to see a boy who looked strangely familiar. She blinked a few times and studied his face. He and Haven had the the same monolid eyes and light freckles dusting their cheeks. His cheekbones were high and quite prominent while his jaw was very sharp. His eyes were what stood out the most. They were thin and sleek like a cat’s. They blazed a bright silver.  He had a stoic; almost emotionless look on his face. The last thing she noticed was the gigantic white wings that emerged from his back. They were covered in stark white feathers. They looked exquisite yet extremely dangerous.

She could only whisper one thing: “Angel.” His lips curled into a smirk and he put his hand on Haven’s shoulder, digging his fingers lightly into her flesh. “Yes you are correct,” his voice was like silk. Haven felt like she could trust this stranger, so she took a few steps closer to him. His hand moved faster than anything Haven had ever seen. His hand was now crushing her windpipe. She gasped out for air and tried to scream for help but nothing left her throat but groans and gasps.

His voice was tainted by a deadly poison, “Who said you could you come closer to me? You disgusting vermin?” Haven’s lungs burned now and hot tears started to pour from her eyes. The male had a wicked smile on his face. Both teeth and gums bearing.  He then glanced at his hand which seemed to be fading away. She could nearly see through it.He cursed under his breath and let go of Haven’s throat. She crumpled to the floor gasping for air. Once again that melodic voice spoke, “You got lucky, scum. Next time I will finish you off.” She laid there convulsing, not blinking at all.

 


Haven gasped as she woke up. She jolted out of bed and ran to the mirror on the wall to her right. Her fingertips danced across her throat checking for any bruises but she found none at all.  She let out an annoyed groan. “Jeez that was one freaky dream.” She shuffled over to her closet and pulled out a pair of black ripped denim shorts and a plain white t-shirt that said “Lame” on it with bold black lettering. She stripped off her pajamas and threw on the new outfit, making sure to tuck her shirt into her shorts.

   Her phone started to play ‘Killer Queen’ by Queen which meant Haven’s best friend, Cora, was calling her. She jumped on her bed and snatched her phone off her nightstand. She swiped the bottom of her phone and pressed it against her ear, “Hey! Come outside, like, right now. I wanna hang out and i'm already outside your house. Bye!” And with that the line went dead.

Haven chuckled and walked out of her room to the den. It was a warm room with chestnut brown walls and oak wood furniture. Gold and blue accents decorated pillows and hanging artworks. Her mom was quietly reading a book. Her aged look only added to her beauty. Her dark brown hair was loosely tied into a bun while her bangs framed her face beautifully. “Hey mom, i'm going out with Cora if that's cool with you.” Her mom was not very strict since Haven has been friends with Cora since she was since they both were about ten. A total of six years.

Her mom looked up from her book and smiled, “Of course.” Haven gave her a quick kiss on the forehead and a ‘love you.’ She ran down the stairs and slipped her socks and sneakers on. Her mom called out in her native language, cantonese chinese, “Be careful!” Haven responded in the same language, “I know I know.” She grabbed her keys off of the knob on the wall and headed outside. She walked down her brick stairs and greeted her best friend with a hug.

“Hey beautiful.” Cora was always flirty with all of her friends. Haven’s face turned a light shade of pink and she laughed “You’re a loser Cora. What’s so urgent that you came to my house? Without asking I might add.”  Cora gave Haven a cheeky grin and looked away, “Weeeeeeell you see… I really like this guy and I wanted you to be my wing woman but I knew you wouldn’t agree soooo…” Cora giggled. Haven sighed, “You’re right. I wouldn’t have helped. But since you dragged me out here I guess I can be your ‘wingwoman.’” Haven brought her hands up and did air quotes while rolling her eyes. Cora’s almost black eyes lit up and she wrapped her arms around Haven, giving her one of her signature warm hugs. Haven smiled and eyed her friends attire. She definitely liked this guy; Cora would never have worn something so feminine outside. Her braided hair was twisted up into two cute space buns and her pale blue dress made a beautiful contrast against her dark skin. The dress flared out at her waist making her already curvy figure look even more full. Haven always envied her best friends womanly curves. “Why can’t I have boobs like that?” “Hmm? Did you say something Haven?” Her face flushed, “N-no.” Cora began walking and giggled, “sure you didn’t.”

Haven and Cora waited outside of a candle shop waiting for the boy to show up. “What’s this guy's name anyway?” Haven sighed as she slumped against the window of the store. “Uh I think it’s Kurt…” “You think?! You have a crush on a guy you don’t even know the name of?!” Cora put her hands up in defense, “It’s Kurt! It’s definitely Kurt!”  Haven hit her friend on the head and laughed; “He better be really cute or i’ll be disappointed.” “You’re so mean Haven.” Cora whined rubbing her head. “Hey Cora, did you bring a friend?” a mysterious male voice mused. Haven looked behind her and spotted a boy with strawberry blonde hair and chestnut brown eyes. Haven smirked “He kinda looks like a stoner or a pretty rich white boy.” Cora shoved her and walked over to the boy. “Hey Kurt!” She wrapped her arms around the boy’s neck and pulled him into an embrace. Haven awkwardly stood there looking at the ground. Did you know there were small specks of blue in the white tiles of the mall? Haven looked back at her best friend and “date.” She studied the boy’s attire. An Arctic Monkeys t-shirt and a pair of beat up dark blue jeans with a pair of white vans. Cora untangled herself from Kurt and smiled up at him “I brought my best friend, I hope that’s okay!” Haven looked and him and stuck her tongue out. He retorted back with the same face, “Yeah it’s chill.”

Haven had spend the entire time trailing behind the two while staring at her phone. “We’ll be right back.” Cora said to Haven taking Kurt’s hand and walking off. Haven looked up from her phone game “Huh? Okay.” She was glad to have some alone time. “I wonder if that boy will replace me. Oh well.” Haven knew friendships thinned over time so she truly didn’t care if people left her. Cora was special though, so if she disappeared it would definitely sting.

She sat down on an uncomfortable wooden bench and started watching people as they passed her. Everyone had something interesting about their look. Even if they wore just a polo and jeans Haven found whatever they were wearing interesting. Though she would never judge a person’s personality based on what they wore.

“May I sit here?” Haven looked up and saw a girl with short white hair smiling down at her. “Oh yeah…” Haven trailed and looked away. “Are you here all alone?” The girl's voice was low and pulled Haven’s attention. She couldn’t help but want to talk to her. “Not really, I came here with my best friend and a guy she’s interested in, but they kinda ditched me.” The girl pouted, “Do you wanna hang out with me? I’m here all alone.” Haven was a bit wary. Something was a bit off about her. Her eyes were almost too green and her hair looked as if it was naturally white, yet Haven agreed. She followed the girl around the mall going into stores that smelt heavily like either perfume or weed. “Oh I never caught your name, sorry.” “Huh? Mine is Haven. What’s yours?” “Onna.” Haven’s eyes thinned. That name struck a note with her. “A demon of the snow.” She whispered. “Did you say something?” Onna perked up. “Nothing.”

Haven had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach. Onna acted much too nice and was just off putting. Yet some mysterious force made Haven feel like she had to be with this girl. It made her feel so vulnerable. Like a deer getting stalked by a wild cat. Onna was about three inches taller than her and seemed much more powerful. “Hey I think I should go try and find my friend.” Onna frowned, “Really? Do you have to?” Haven looked away, “Yeah I do. Sorry.” Onna seemed to be angered by this but tried to play it off. “Okay...See you around Haven Zhang.” “See ya, Onna.”


It wasn't until Haven gotten home that she realized that  Onna knew her last name without her telling the other girl. She immediately got chills. She rushed around her room closing all the curtains and blinds. She sat on her bed and exhaled, “I’m sure it was just a coincidence. Maybe she goes to one my cousins’ schools and they showed her a picture of me. That was so freaky!” Haven decided a nap would calm her nerves.

Haven awoke in the same white room as she did the last time she fell asleep. She tried to speak but her throat felt as if it was on fire. She whimpered out in pain. She wore a long white dress covered with lace, it was elegant yet something about it made Haven want to tear it off. An aura of death hugged her and whispered in her ear.

        “Do you like the dress? I got it made especially for you. They say that whatever you wear when you die is what you wear forever.” Haven tried moving to see who was talking to her but her muscles would tense up so much that they wouldn’t allow her to move. “Silly girl. It’s me.” The same boy from last night appeared in front of her. She glared at him wishing she could strangle him. He held a sword in his left hand; it was gorgeous. The sword was as shiny as a diamond necklace while the grip was an undying black. He lined the sword up with Haven’s stomach. “I’ll make sure you die a painful death. People like you deserve worse.” He had a wretched smile on his face as he drove the sword through her stomach. She cried out in pain both from the feeling in her abdomen and the acid like feeling in her throat. The dress was stained a beautiful shade of crimson with her blood. She could feel every drop pouring from her stomach. She could feel her innards starting to pour out of the large wound.  The boy smiled at her “Remember this name: Xander. May it haunt you in your afterlife.” Haven’s brows knit themselves together. ‘I’m going to die. Damn it.’ Haven had given up. Her body slumped forward. She felt her life force slowly fading away. What did she do to deserve pain like this?

“You’re not dying. Not now.”

Haven’s body felt light and warm. “Why are you healing?! You should be dead!” Xander stared at Haven with disbelief.

“Go f*** yourself.” Haven looked Xander in the eyes, a wide, impish grin spreading across the lower half of her face. She opened her mouth to stick her tongue out and mock the boy in front of her. She felt herself get ripped out of her unconscious state. A girl, or perhaps a thing was hovering over her. The woman like creature had lightblue skin-almost white, eyes as black as onyx, golden ridged horns like a ram and short white hair.

            Haven jumped back (or as far back as she could in a bed) once she saw this creature. It looked quite offended by that action. “Well that’s not very nice. I’m not that scary!” The creature had long, thin bones protruding from its lower back, they looked as if they had been burned somehow. “You don’t recognize me! Aaa! How rude.” Haven raised one of her brows in confusion. The creature frowned “It’s me! Onna!” Haven had to do a double take “What ARE you?!” Onna’s eyebrow twitched, “Once again, that’s not very nice. But to answer your question i’m a succubus. A snow ghost if you wanna be fancy.” Onna waved her clawed hands around while explaining. Suddenly she became serious, “Look Haven, we don’t have time to fool around right now. You need to come with me. I can’t tell you why now but you’ll have to trust me.” Haven grit her teeth “Now what makes you think that i’ll trust you? Why would I trust a demon of all creatures?” Onna glared at her “Do not call me a “creature” I am a living being just like you. If anything you’re the creature, we’ve been here way longer than you.” Haven knit her brows together and mumbled out an apology. “Anyway it’s time to go. You have to come with me.” Haven stood up, “My statement still remains, why should I?” Onna walked around Haven’s room with her arms stretched upwards. She then looked Haven dead in the eyes, “If you don’t come with me then you will die in the next 48 hours when you fall back asleep.” The way Onna spoke, with such power and conviction, compelled Haven to agree. Onna turned and walked through the doorway, “C’mon.” Haven followed the snow ghost into her den to where her mother was once resting. A large black dog was casually laying on the floor. It was bigger than the couch that it resided next to. “WHAT IS THAT?!” Haven stumbled backwards and Onna let out loud sigh. She turned to the smaller girl, “He’s a hell hound. You’re going to have to get used to this kind of stuff.” Haven clicked her tongue and leaned against the wall. “What’s got her panties in a twist?”

        Haven stopped dead in her tracks, “Wait where's my mom?!” She frantically moved her head from side to side, as if her mother would just just appear next to her if she did it enough. Onna turned to her and smiled, “Ah yes, Lydia is exactly where we are going. No need to worry.” Haven narrowed her eyes, “That goddamn voice. It's casting a f***ing spell on me.” Onna walked over to the hellhound, petting it's rough looking fur. “Okay, it's time to go back home.” The hound stood up and yawned, showing off it's banana sized canines. It arched it's back and stood facing the wall. It let out a sound that derived from hell itself. The sound shook the decorative plate residing in kitchen. Soon the wall melted into a deep green colour, black and royal blue swirling round and round within it.

Onna turned to Haven and smiled, showing off her own fangs, “Come Haven, it's time to go.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.