All is lost | Teen Ink

All is lost

By hilldus, Ionia, Michigan
hilldus, Ionia, Michigan

Author's note:

I usually like storys where someone has to save the other. It makes me think of the game The last of us and its really good its about joe saving elly and its a fun game and thats where I knind got the idea.

Aaron get down here now! I jumped out of bed rubbing my eyes trying to remember my dream. I made my way down the hall to the stairs but before I knew I was on my back, caught by the baby gate.
Abbey turned around and chuckled.
“ It's not funny I just woke up and you don't get it. I don't have a bunch of energy like you”.
Abbey turned around and I knew she still had a smirk on her face. Aaron calm down and eat your breakfast you need to feel good for school. I just wanted to say whatever mom but I could tell she was having a good morning so I kept to myself. I got dressed and headed for the door and heard a shout
“Hey you aren't leaving without saying goodbye to your mom?”
I turned around and said,  “ i'm 17.”
But I knew she didn't care, so I gave her a hug and walked out the door. It was colder than usual, but probably because it was also darker than usual. The door opened again behind and I heard a familiar voice say, “hey you got to take me to school.”
I knew it was Abby.
I turned around, “ Can’t you just ride the bus you're only in fifth grade”.
She gave me a look and I looked back in the same glaring fashion.
“ Just get in!”I said.
I hopped in the car with Abbey on the other side. I waited a second for our neighbor to come out and greet us like he does every morning, but he never showed. Strange I thought. As soon as we pulled out of the driveway someone I have never seen stopped us. I rolled  down the window to see what he wanted.
A gun barrel pointed at my face get out he shouted, me and Abbey rushed out of the car and sprinted to the door.
“Mom, Mom! Let us in!” We pounded on the door so hard I thought it was going to break down. I heard a loud scream behind me and quickly turned around. I couldn't believe my eyes, I started smacking myself telling myself this is not real. Abbey screamed and the door shot open. I felt a hand grab my shirt and yank me inside.
“Are you guys ok? I said.
“What the crap,” “Aaron! Watch your mouth your sister is only 10,” my mom growled..
I turned around and looked at the tv seeing that the news was already on. Mom did the news just say what I think it said.
“ I know this is crazy but we need to go now” Wait I shouted what about Dad.
“ I already called him we are meeting up at the farm”.
Whats at the farm I said. I knew that was a stupid question considering what I just saw, so I just said never mind.
We went inside the garage and got into moms Van. “Mom what is going on.” “I already told you I don’t know”  Mom said while pulling out of the driveway and with no hesitation she stepped on the gas and was speeding. “Mom slow down.  I looked behind my seat where Abbey was at.
“ Hey it going to be ok” I said.  “What happened to that man” Abbey said with her voice shaking. “ I don't know I said is it going to happen to me” Oh no no it won't I swear. Abbey looked at me
She was crying and I would be to I was still shocked and I felt sick from what I saw. I stared into Abbeys eyes and she screamed
look out look out. I felt nothing but the roof of the car on my neck. I looked at Abbey and saw blood I unbuckled and fell out of my seat. Abbey are you ok she didn't respond I looked over and saw mom start to unbuckle. I unbuckled Abbey and caught her. Mom we need to go I said. Mom shushed me very quietly. I looked around out of the windows and saw nothing.
A man jumped out of the car and started screaming at us.” I need to get to my family and you totaled my car” he pulled a gun out of his pocket and started firing. Get down I screamed. But that wasn’t the only scream I heard I glanced over and saw a familiar figure attacking the man.
Mom we got to go. She looked at me and pulled something out of the glove box. A shiny familiar object. A Gun. But mom I have never shot a gun. She explained “this is the safety on off and here is the trigger all you need to do is pull the trigger only if you are in danger”. “ But mom why she turned over and there was a gunshot wound in her side. I turned to Abbey and pushed her out of the van with me following. Abbey run she took off me behind. I did not want to turn around but I couldn't help my self. I turned and a scaly figure with punctured pale gray bloody skin was chasing me. Aaron! Help! I turned around and saw the gray beast chase Abbey. I did as mom told and pulled the trigger and the monster dropped dead. There was a running car and I got in. “ Aaron you can’t just take someones car”. I looked at Abbey and said we need to trust me you have to I can't let anything happen to you.
Three hours later almost at the farm. It was 5 in the morning I was tired but me glancing at Abbey is what kept me going.
I pulled into the driveway only to be stopped by a gate with people with guns. “Let them in” Dad I screamed. Then I jumped out of the car giving him a big hug. Where is Abbey and your mom. I looked at him and said Abbey was in the car sleeping. And mom he said. Tears came from my eyes and he looked at me and said no. I shook my head yes he hugged me once more and we drove the car up with Abbey.
What is this place.
It is home he said. You are safe now.
Dad showed me around. I was actually surprised on how quick they set this stuff up. But I wasn't complaining.
We have been here for weeks now. I have not been keeping track and Dad won’t fill me in on most of the stuff, but I think it's because he doesn't want me to think something bad is going to happen.
The next morning I headed to to the radio where my dad was every day. I cracked the door and heard my dad talking to John his best friend. “ I don’t know what we are going to do why is this happening .” John then piped in “we can go take your kids we need to get out of here because what we heard on
the radio is true, other quarantine sites have already been took out.
I then pushed the door open and my dad looked at me surprised. ¨ What is going on dad and don lie because I just heard half of your little talk.¨ We need to go, now this is what you need to do I want you to grab your sister and go into the barn and get in the truck. I looked at him and took off after Abbey. “Abbey wake up we need to go right now”. Why she said in a tired voice.” Because dad said”. She groaned and got out of her hay bale bed already to go. You ready I said she shook her head yes, ok let's go. We hurried to the Barn. I was trying not to draw any attention to anybody, dad said this was secret. Me and Abbey got into the truck and Buckled up. “ Aaron whats going on” I looked over and I knew I was putting of a scary vibe.
“ We are going somewhere safe that's all”.
“ But why”
“Dad just thinks it is a better idea that's all”
I looked around getting anxious because dad said he would be here in a couple of minutes. I glanced back at the door because I thought I heard something but then a shogun blared and I heard people screaming and shouting. Abbey started crying and I told it was going to be ok. I glanced back at the door only to see the familiar monster appear. The creature sprinted to the truck and broke the windshield and I kicked it in the face protecting Abbey. Another gunshot and closed my eyes ready to give up. But when I glanced up the scary creature was gone.
Start the truck I started the truck happy to see that it was dad and john. “ Get in the back you aren't riding shogun” John said. I crawled in the back. What is going on out there right now I said. “I told you we need to go that's why I had you get Abbey to the truck quick”. How did you know this was coming. I thought you overheard us talking about other quarantine zones getting taken over by these creatures, well that's how I knew this was coming.
¨ This is crazy why didn’t you tell anybody”
“ Because if i told anybody word would spread and we would all die because there would be a riot because no one has anywhere to go they would take my truck and try to kill us”.
  I felt bad about complaining to dad especially because he only did what was best for our lives. We have been on the road for about 5 hours and i didn’t know where we were going, but i never asked. About an hour later i decided to see what was going on. “ Hey dad where are we going we don't have anywhere to go”. “ Look Aaron there is a reason you only see me every 2 months and i am sorry about that. But there is something you don’t know about me”. He sighed and went on “ I work in Nevada, have you ever heard of area 51” I shook my head yes. “ Well we started this by accident, we were trying to make a super soldier”
“ So this is your fault. But why, why would you do this.”
“ You wouldn’t understand, the Government doesn’t release this stuff for a reason because people don’t understand.” I looked down at my shoes and John looked behind and looked into my eyes. “ Hey its going to be ok I know everyone can screw up, I mean I have and I am sure you have.” He paused for a second and then started back up. “ Look the only thing that matters is that me you  Abbey and your dad are going to be safe. No one knows this but Area 51 is in quarantine and we are going to be there in
About 30 minutes and we will all be safe.” I looked at John and nodded and then looked at Abbey who was sleeping.
Soon later I fell asleep only to be woke by the sound of hault. A man in a camouflage uniform pulled out a device and put it on dads mouth and did the same for john and they both got a beep sound. “ Is there any body els in the truck”
“ Yes my son and daughter”
“ Can they step out for me.” Dad then looked back at me and Abbey. I looked to Abbey to see that she was awake and heard what was going on. Let's go Abbey. Me and Abbey got out of the truck and faced the man. “ Open your mouth” I watched Abbey open and they man put the device on Abbey and it made the same beep as dad and John. He then turned toward me and I opened my mouth. He put he device to my mouth and all I heard was a buzz like I lost. The man looked at me and said get on the ground. I did as I was told , soon dad jumped out of the truck and started screaming. I felt something cold on the back of my head and I heard a click.
Dad Abbey and John should be ok. But i wouldn’t know. All I knew  was that John said it was going to be safe for them maybe but not for me because…. I was gone.