Divergent: Untold sides | Teen Ink

Divergent: Untold sides

By Smallz_Otero, little falls, New York
Smallz_Otero, Little Falls, New York

As I walked into the room, my dad and mother once lived in. I realized I wasn't a kid anymore. As my breath got louder and my hands shake, the door opens. Its Tris, but she's with someone. Not caleb, and not Christina. Not even Peter. It's a baby boy. I knew this was fake but, it still got to me. "Tris?" I asked. She didn't respond. "Are you alright" I asked again this time worried. She dropped the kid, and took out a gun. I panicked. "This is just a simulation serum." I woke up, tied to a chair one arm down and the other being held by my mom. "What did you see, Tobias?"I sat there quietly, taking it all in. "Yeah, i'm fine," I say quietly. "What happened?" Evelyn asked. "I saw a girl, with a baby." I said. "And?" Evelyn said. "She dropped the kid, and shot me." I continued. "I feel like I know her." I finished. "Well, do you?" Evelyn asked. "I, I don't know." I replied. I walked away and slammed my door by accident.

Two days later, I walked into the room, there was a girl, her name was Tris, she was the first jumper. I thought I would walk over to say hello, but I was drinking. It wasn't safe, when I drink i'm always so mad or eager to do something. This time i'm eager to talk to Tris. She looked exactly like the girl in my simulation. I walked over. "Hey" I said. "Uh-Hey." she replied. "Tris, right?" I asked. "Yeah, and your four." She said in a joking manner. "I'm peter." the kid with him said. "Nice to meet you." I said sounding welcoming. "So, can we talk about my rank here?" the kid asked. "Everyone has the same rank except for me and Eric. Nothing I can do, talk to Eric about it." I replied. "Sounds good." he said as he walked away.

I was dreaming. I was dreaming about her. Tris. The simulation. It all. Then I was thinking.  She's pretty. Her personality is amazing, weak but confident. She can make this happen again. By this I meant she can become a leader of Dauntless like me. I woke up, to the door knocking. "Come on in." I said. The door opens and its Tris. "I have a question." she said. "Yeah, of course. What can I do?" I said. She closes the door behind her. After that she sits on the end of the chair across from my bed. "What faction were you born-into?" she asked, her face look focused, like I can tell her anything and she would listen. "Abnegation." I replied, I didn't mean to, it just slipped. "Wanna talk about it later? We can if your busy." she said. "No, now will do." I said as I remembered i'm not wearing a top, she doesn't know the sheats cover me up. "Abnegation?" she said surprised. "How about you meet me outside n W-4 blockside and we talk, okay?" I said. "Okay. Eric told me to tell you he found a Diver."she said. "Diver?" I asked. "yeah." she replied. "See you later." she continued and stood and left. Sigh.

We met at the compound. She tried to speak but I stopped her early. I told her to follow me. We ran into an alley way, through a garden and into a building. Its the Simulation Home. The place where we simulate everyone. I told her to sit down, she looked scared but she did. I attached her to the System, and to the monitor. I said "This is gonna hurt a little." she stared at me, like she didn't care. She also looked worried at the same time. I turned on the monitor and system. I said "If you will-", she pointed her neck my way. I gave her the shot. She fell asleep. I knew something was strange about her. The monitor blinked. Which meant she got rid of her fer. Crows. This also meant she put out the fire. I wondered, "How, is this possible?".  She was in the box, and the machine showed she broke the glass box. I ended the simulation. She woke up. I stood there. Amazed, but also knowing how she did it.

She stood up. I said, curious "How'd you escape the birds, and fire?". She answered "the water." I shook my head. "How'd you get out of the box?" I asked. "I broke it, why are you asking?" she said, looking confused. "You-your." I said wanting to continue. "You know." she said. I looked surprised, she knew she was. "You know?" I asked. I only asked because most divergent's don't know they are, divergent. "Yeah, Tori told me at my test." she said. "To decide your faction." I said. She shook her head, signalizing yes. I looked at her. I stared. I am divergent. I can't tell her that. I feel like I can trust her but, I know I can't. After a while, we walked back to the underground base.

I woke up to the sound of Tris screaming. I got up ran to her. She was being attacked. They knew she was indeed Divergent. I punched the first guy in the face. The second was Peter, the kid I just met. The third was Al. I punched them all until they passed out or ran away. I told tris it was a good idea if she slept in my room. To be safe.

I woke up. I went to my door, it was still shut. I unlock it. She wasn't in the bed. She must be showering. I go onto the back boards. Looking out at the city we made. Then, Tris walked out here. "Don't do that." she said. "What am I doing?" I asked her. "You snuck in and scared me." she said. I laughed. "I'm suppose to knock, to come into my own room?" I said sarcastic."Yes, if someone is in here." she said. We laughed. I asked her if she was feeling better. The truth is she didn't, her best friends tried to kill her. I tried to comfort her. She fell onto me, she tripped over the board. "Oh!" she continued "Sorry." she finished. "It's okay." I said. We stared at each other for what seemed hours. It was only five minutes.

We kissed. I don't know what it meant but we did. We were sleeping in my room. I woke up before she did. I got up and layed her down without waking her. I went and got dressed. She woke up so, I went and got the present. I got her a present. It's not much, just flowers and whatnot. "What are you doing?" Tris asked. I walked over grinning a little. She looked tired. I handed her the flowers. "I was hoping for breakfast, but this will do." Tris said smiling. "Sorry." I say sarcastic. She leaned in. For a kiss. The door opened suddenly. She panicked. It was just Christina. "Holy crap! You scared me." Tris said laughing. "Oh, sorry did I interrupt something?" She said. Tris seemed to ignore her and kissed me quickly. Then she got up. "Gotta go, see you later." Tris said as she grabbed her coat and left. Her and Christina giggled and  talked all the way down the hallway. Tris would look back and smile every once in awhile if we walk past each other in the hideout.

"Hey, Tris." I said. I saw her walking the other way but, I need to know what they are doing. "Hey." She said "Is everything all right?". I need to tell her I heard them talking. "I heard you-" but before I could say the rest she did."You heard me talking to the other dauntless about going to Candor."  I nodded. "Are you gonna get hurt" I said as I took her arm and looked into her eyes. "No." she said. "It's nothing to worry about, we aren't even going." I looked at her and she said "I promise." when she said she promised. I knew she meant it. I let go of her arm and said "Okay. Just making sure. See you later." she looked puzzled "Later?" I laughed. "Yeah, I thought we could have dinner at my place-apartment." she smiled, like she was waiting for me to say that. She replied "Yeah, that sounds good." I felt like we could talk for hours. She left but before she cut the corner. Will ran over and pushed her. I straightened. Ready to fight. He looked sad. "Come, they found him in the water!" he said that and grabbed my arm, Tris followed us. We went into the pit. There was some people pulling a rope. Connected to a body. I didn't know who it was. Tris did. She covered her mouth with her hand. I went to comfort her, but she ran into the initiate room. I ran after her, but will held me back. "She needs time." I got angry, "She need to feel safe walking in these halls, Will. I think you have done enough. Now, get your hand of me before you suddenly die too." he let go. I ran. As I ran I thought, did I say too much too him or too little. I got to the room. She was on the edge of the bed. Christina beat me to her. She wasn't crying. No one was crying. I told Christina to give us a moment. She got up and left. "Did he-" she tried to say but couldn't finish. "Yes." I said. She was gonna ask if he suicided. She put her face into my chest. I could feel her breathing fast. I put my hand on her back to calm her down. It works. She sits down. I feel like she should cry, but she doesn't. We sit there. For an hour. Silence. Just me and her.

I woke up. Tris lays besides me. I would get up, but I like when she sleeps. About five minutes after I woke, she started shaking. Not chills. Nightmare. I tried to leave her to see if it would go away, it got worse. She started shaking, and moving. She kicked me. I finally woke her up. She jumped and punched me. "Ow!" I shouted. She put her hand on her mouth and said she was sorry. I kept saying it was okay, but she said it wasn't. Then she kissed me. She got up and got dressed then left.