Family Matters | Teen Ink

Family Matters

January 20, 2017
By julia.banks BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
More by this author
julia.banks BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“What do you want me to do? We can’t just leave her there?” As the end drew nearer, the solution was clear.
“Why not, isn’t our mission to kill her?” Byron was no longer in view, her only chance of finding him his voice.
“We have to bring her with us!” They couldn’t stand to see her destroyed, which she would be in a minute if they left her. Before the others could protest, Iz took off running through the rubble and fire-engulfed remains of their city, dodging exploding fire hydrants, falling signs, burst pipes, the works. Navigating the desolate wasteland, she found her way to the red beam pointing up at the sky. This beam of light was coming from Scarlett, their sworn enemy. In life threatening situations, the brain sends a signal to the eyes to use all of their remaining energy to make two beams of light that shine up at the sky, in hopes that someone will see and come to their rescue. Never in Scarlett's life would she have thought her rescuer would be Iz. They were sworn enemies, and they had been since they were kids. Iz stumbled upon the body, Scarlett’s nose bleeding, face bruised, and from waist down buried under debris.
“IZ, WHERE DID YOU GO? COME ON WE HAVE TO GET OUT! NOW!” Byron came stumbling towards her, the clock was counting down.
“We need to bring her with us.” Without a hint of uncertainty in her voice, Iz began to dig away at the wreckage covering Scarlett’s legs like a dog digging up a bone. She removed enough of the remains to drag her loose and for her eye-lighters to go off, her brain sensing her rescue.
“Here,” Byron hoisted up her torso, and Iz grabbed her legs. The two ran through the city that would be obliterated in 8… 7… 6… seconds. As the projected clock on their home turned down to one, the bomb detonated and in a blinding flash of light, the city was reduced to dust. Right before their eyes, their home was demolished. Just outside the border of the city, they were safe from the explosion, it was contained in the city, but all three fell to the ground, not dead, just blinded and shocked.
Hours later, Byron woke to a dim, dusty sunrise. Either a sunset or a sunrise, it was unclear through the dusty haze of what was the city.
“Iz… Iz…” The hand shaking her shoulder did not seem to wake her.
“Oh thank god you’re not…”
“You’re right. I’m not. But if you don’t stop shaking my shoulder you will be.” Iz sat up and rubbed her temple. Not only were the three thrown at least twenty feet from where they were standing because of the detonation, the radiation was definitely not helping them recover from the previous day’s battle.
“Who are you?” Byron and Iz turned, very surprised to see Scarlett standing behind them. She had suffered the worst of it.
“We… We’re your family,” Iz explained, uncertainly glancing at Byron.
“Yeah…” Byron agreed, disappointed in Iz’s change of heart over their relationship with Scarlett. She was not family, except for technically. She was their sworn enemy; the reason that their city was blown up and they had to resort to permanent life in the fortress. If she hadn’t gone to the dark side using her powers for evil, they would still be living happily, or at least no more unhappily, in their city.
“Okay, so… when can we go home?” Scarlett asked, wiping a trail of blood from her brow.
“Well, we live in the fortress now that the city is gone, so I guess any time you guys are ready.” Byron stared daggers at Iz. He was NOT bringing this villain back to their home, where the rest of the family was.
“Okay, I’ll go first and make sure everything is ready for Scarlett.” Byron grit his teeth, focused his mind, and teleported to the fortress.

*** AT THE FORTRESS***

“That’s incredible!! I’ve missed her so much these past years.”
“Mom, she won’t remember you, she’s lost her memory of who knows how long, she doesn’t remember me or Iz, so she probably won’t remember you either.” Their mother’s face dropped. She knew that this would be true, even though nobody wanted to admit it. The whole family was ecstatic over Byron’s news, except Byron. He wanted nothing to do with his other sister, since she betrayed the family and joined the COE (the very creatively named “Club of Evil”). The Club tormented the city leaving graffiti, flying around in dark, creepy outfits, raiding stores, and homes. I guess that’s all over now, since there are no walls to graffiti, and no homes or stores to raid. Our family seems to have forgotten how dastardly she was and forgiven her just because they missed her.
“I have someone you guys all want to see…” Iz announced as she sauntered in with Scarlett nervously treading behind her. Scarlett was bombarded with hugs and kisses, and in that moment, her plans and nerves melted away. No, she had not lost her memory, but since Byron and Iz came back to save her and the whole “evil” thing was getting a bit old, maybe she could give the family another chance. Maybe. The second chance seemed to be going very well so far, she was sitting on the couch surrounded by the people she loved and missed. She hadn’t had a home cooked meal in ages, and everything was much better than Scarlett remembered. Even her family. Her mom was not half as exasperating as she remembered, and Byron and Iz weren’t so bad either, although they were no longer children and it had been 16 years.
“Okay, why don’t we all call it a night and go to sleep?” Byron offered, “I’ll show you to your room.” Leading Scarlett downstairs to the sleeping chambers.
“Thank you again. Goodnight!” Scarlett hugged Byron for the first time in years; it was highly uncharacteristic of her.
The ceiling was hypnotizing as she lay on her real bed for the first time since she was 16. Should I stay? This is ridiculous, how can I come back now? Although, it isn’t like there is anything that I can go back to. How can I keep this hidden? Surprising, they haven’t already figured me out. Mom seemed so happy to see me though… She signed on to BC (brain chat). She chatted her partner in crime, Elle, who was lost at the scene of the explosion earlier, and to Scarlett’s delight, she came on almost immediately. In no time at all, Elle had made arrangements and teleported to right outside the fortress to meet Scarlett and make their getaway.
Careful not to wake anyone, Scarlett left her chamber, grabbed her jacket, and slowly laced up her combat boots, half hoping to be caught. Taking one last look around, she slowly walked to the ascension tube, to take her back to the surface where Elle was anxiously awaiting her. Was she ready to give up this life she could re-create for herself? Scarlett shook her head clear of doubts and stepped into the AT to get ready to bring herself back up to meet Elle.
“Scarlett? Where are you going?” Crap. It was Byron.
“Yeah, wait, where am I?” When in doubt, play dumb. “Why am I dressed? It’s cold, can I go back to my room?” Byron let out a sleepy chuckle.
“Yeah, let’s go, it’s this way,” he yawned. Scarlett took a deep breath and stepped out of the AT and BCed Elle to go home, she wasn’t coming. There was too much to lose. It had only been one day, but she had reconnected to loved ones she weren’t even sure were still alive. Even Byron was coming around to like her again. That in and of itself was a feat. Iz was a complete riot, and had grown into a whole smart, beautiful, friendly person since she last saw her 16 years ago, when Iz was only 3. As if the shock of her baby sister being an adult wasn’t enough, Byron, too, had changed exponentially and continued to do so. How could she miss what was to come. 16 years was a long enough hiatus for Scar.
“Where did you think you were going, anyway?” Byron joked as they got to her room. Scarlett would have to tell them that she didn’t lose her memory eventually, but now was not the time.
“Nowhere, don’t worry. Goodnight.” She closed the door to Byron and her past, unlaced her boots, removed her jacket, and made her decision



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.