Tower of the Forgotten | Teen Ink

Tower of the Forgotten

By hunterartemis, Dallas, Texas
hunterartemis, Dallas, Texas

"With great power...... comes great need to take a nap"

The scent of blossoms filled the air, as the petals seemed to dance in the gentle breeze that playfully landed in locks of brown hair.

A song of laughter escaped parted lips, as the maiden evaded the affectionate embrace of her lover who was not far behind her. But a stumble quickly sent the both of them tumbling down a hill, as peals of laughter rang clear in the air.

His loving gaze capturing her full attention as they came to a stop at the bottom of the hill, the world around them forgotten as they remained caught in the others gaze. Tucking a stray curl behind her ear, he cupped her face in his hand and softly asked for permission before pressing his lips against her own.

Eyes fluttered open, the memory distant like the fleeting kiss that had been shared between the young lovers. And as she gazed at the dying embers in the fireplace, she glanced at the hundreds of paper cranes that lay at her feet. The sheets of parchment on her lap rustling as she stood up from her stool and walked toward the fire.

Adding a log to the fire, it roared with the new fuel and left her in a spell as she watched the flames slowly consume it. Instinctively her hand reached to touch the freezing band of silver on her finger, once again piercing her heart with the cold dagger of the bitter truth.

Five years ago she had been locked away in the tower, the people claiming if her prince truly loved her then he would search for her to the very ends of the earth. For many months, she held on believing that he would come find her and they would marry as he had promised they would.

Waiting patiently, she made numerous paper cranes with each one holding her thoughts and love for him. But as time went on, the number of cranes continued to increase and the possibility of her lover coming became only increasingly smaller.

But all for naught, as she soon received news that the one that she had loved with her whole being had married another. A princess of greater prestige, with the features of an angel and demeanor to match.

At the news, her heart had all but shattered as his promises became nothing but meaningless words. He had always claimed that no princess could ever take her place, that his heart was no one else but hers.

In her denial, the number of cranes all but doubled in their amount until eventually she came to accept that her prince would never come for her as she had believed he would. Slowly but surely, she made her cranes and watched as the seasons came and went.

Even now after five years, she had accepted her fate and come to terms that no one would come for her. Her only regret was that she would never be able to say goodbye to her loving parents that must have felt great sorrow at her disappearance. She no longer pined after a lost love, rather she only wished him the greatest happiness.

With effort, she gracefully moved toward her stool to once more gaze out at the scenery before her. Resting on her arms, she closed her eyes with an eerie calmness even as she felt the bitter wind blow out her only source of warmth. Blearily opening her eyes as she began to fade out of consciousness, she smiled in content before everything faded into total black.

“I said I wanted this dress in cherry blossom pink, not lavender pink!” cried out a voice with a horrible screech before a shatter followed. All the servants that were in hearing distance pitied the poor soul that had not adhered to their princess’s ridiculous demands.

When their prince had first married, many had been skeptical as he had a previous engagement with the kind hearted Princess Eleanor of the small kingdom of Wistenia. Although when she was captured, and when Prince Alexios set off to find Princess Eleanor, the search for his previous lover was short lived when he met his future wife Princess Jael of the Slarerian Empire. Their courtship was brief, and surprised many at the abrupt need for both to marry so quickly but no objection was made.

Initially the marriage between the two was peaceful and Princess Jael had adjusted rapidly to her new domain, but after three years of marriage it was made apparent that neither of the two was happy. Princess Jael had become bitter, quick tempered, and demanding whereas her husband Prince Alexios had become distant, silent, and cold to his wife. 

Which is why there was such a buzz amongst the servants as their generally quiet prince approached his wife’s room. The moment he stepped foot in the room, there was enough tension between them it could be cut with a sword. 

“To what do I owe this great honor that is your presence, dear husband” Princess Jael said bitterly as she sat on her vanity.

“I could do without the sarcasm Jael,” Prince Alexios muttered as he returned her gaze, “But it concerns Princess Eleanor of whom you are aware I was once previously engaged.”

“Do you mean the forgotten princess?” she inquired, “The one you left behind in order to marry me three years ago. Of course I remember her, she would have been the one stuck in my place had you continued with your journey so long ago.”

“Do not hold a grudge against her Jael, she has done nothing toward you” Alexios defended.

“Of course I hold no grudge against her, she did nothing wrong” she said calmly, “After all it’s not her fault that her beloved stopped searching for her. Or that both of us were so naive as to court each other for only two months before getting married.”

“Rather you should be asking yourself, if she will be willing to forgive you after what you have done” she growled.

“I have already come to terms that she may never forgive me, for the mistakes I made” he whispered “For not marrying her as I promised so long ago, for giving up so quickly on my search for her, and for marrying you when we honestly did not hold the feelings that we thought we had.”

At his final confession Jael broke down in tears, the words that had never been spoken between the two finally said. And for the first time in years, he approached her with the warmth of when they first met and pulled her into his arms. She grasped his clothing tightly, allowing the walls she had built over the years to come down.

“I have to go and find her Jael,” Alexios muttered “Not just to make peace with the demons I have battled everyday since I gave up on her. But to hopefully make amends for all I have put both of you through.”

“I understand Alexios” Jael said with a wry smile, “Don’t make the same mistake twice. Go to her, and make her happy as you should have done all those years ago.”

“Thank you, Jael” he hurriedly said as he made his way out her room, “And I’m sorry I could not have been a better husband while we were together.”

“If you want to make it up to me Alexios, then I expect to hear news that you found her” Jael chuckled good naturedly.

Alexios smiled and couldn’t help but shake his head in disbelief.

“I honestly believe that we could have been friends had we not started courting” he stated.

“It’s not too late Alexios” Jael said, “But please go, don’t keep her waiting any longer than you have.”

“I won’t” he uttered as he quickly ran out the room and down the hall.

“I just hope you’re not too late” Jael whispered nervously, hoping that Alexios had not waited too long.

Alexios understood the graveness of his mistake after many years, and the trail he had long ago followed had since run cold. Which is why a shiver of fear coursed through his body, as he reluctantly set out for the help of the one who depending on his mood could possibly cut his life short.

It did not take him long before he came upon the cave of the powerful mage Nikias, a former ally of Alexios who had severed all ties with Alexios upon the news of his marriage to Jael. It hadn’t surprised him, but all the same, Alexios understood that he couldn’t possibly find Eleanor quickly enough without the help of Nikias.

“Well are you just going to stand there or are you going to tell me what you came for?” called out Nikias, his voice clearly laced with hatred.

“I would, but I have no idea how close you are to ending my life” Alexios jested.

“Oh I am quite close Alexios, but I have the decency to at least hear your request before ending you,” Nikias hissed.

Nervously Alexios inched forward, and watched as the closer he got to Nikias, the brighter the torches along the caverns walls seemed to glow until it was nearly blinding.

“What request could possibly be so important Alexios that you would be willing to risk your life?” Nikias inquired curiously.

“It is in regard to Eleanor” Alexios murmured, and narrowly avoided the ball of fire that was hurled at him.

“You have absolutely no right to speak her name,” Nikias said shakily, “You gave up on her the moment you saw another pretty face without a second thought.”

“I understand you may be angry at me-” Nikias was quick to interrupt him.

“No, Alexios you don’t understand” he sniffled as tears made their way down his face, “I pushed my feelings aside and let you confess yours when we were much younger. I was but an apprentice at the time, struggling to master even the simplest of spells and you had convinced me that you would care for her in ways that I could not.”

At this point, Nikias although having created a name for himself as a powerful and menacing mage, he appeared but a heartbroken young man as he remembered his beloved Eleanor.

“Because of my naivety, I allowed you to court Eleanor and continued on with my apprenticeship in hopes that although I would not hold her heart. I could at least be at her side, protecting her from any harm,” he stuttered.

“I know that what I did was unforgivable Nikias, but I seek your help because you are the only one who could possibly help me in my quest of finding Eleanor” Alexios pleaded, “If not for the friendship we once held. Then do it for Eleanor, the maiden who you had given your heart to so many years ago.”

Nikias hesitated, dark grey eyes clouding with both suspicion and apprehension at Alexios words. Yet, as he gazed at Alexios he felt that his intentions were sincere but all the same couldn’t fully trust him to complete the quest on his own.

“I will help you, but I will not permit you to continue this quest on your own” said Nikias, “For all I know, you could end up quitting again if I don’t come with you.”

“Wait a minute, I never said-”

“I have already decided to accompany you, and there isn’t anything you can do to change my mind on the matter,” Nikias interrupted, “Now if you will excuse me. I have a few things to pack and some spells to finish writing down.”

All Alexios could do was watch in a daze, as a flurry of concoctions and a various assortment of items flew quickly by narrowly hitting him. Before being placed in the satchel which Nikias held, and never seemed to fill up no matter how much was placed in it.

“If you will stop gawking Alexios, then we best get going before I regret deciding to help you.”

Stumbling to catch up with Nikias, Alexios couldn’t help but eye the satchel that the mage carried so tenderly. But all the same, he understood to keep quiet as it was a reminder of their younger days when they were still naive.