Geneveer | Teen Ink

Geneveer

November 2, 2016
By Eimilie BRONZE, Culpeper, Virginia
More by this author
Eimilie BRONZE, Culpeper, Virginia
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I was inspired to write this peice because monsters have a pretty bad wrap. This story tells how a caring monster helps a fellow friend yet still gives him a bit ofn a challenge when it comes to him being found.

 Geneveer
                   The sky was cloudy and I had arrived home just in time before the rain came down. I looked outside with relief. Walking over to my kitchen, I set down my rent bills in frustration. I slit open the first one and it read a total of two thousand dollars. I couldn't believe my eyes. I ran into my bedroom and threw it across the floor. It landed right under my bed with a loud thud. I stood there for a minute trying to figure out how I was going to pay for it. As I was about to walk back into the other room, a large, clawed hand came out from under my bed. My heart beat fast and I could feel a knot in my stomach forming. It reached out with my rent bill which had been enclosed with two thousand dollars in cash. I cautiously walked over to it and scoped it out. I sat down and crossed my legs waiting for the monster to do something, but it just stayed there. Reaching my hand out, I grabbed the money with speed.
“Thank you”, I said in a shaky voice.
“No prob”, said the monster,
His voice was very deep, but it had an assuring tone to it.
       My curiosity showed one day when I had the courage to shine a flashlight under my bed. It was like a completely different world. A large tunnel was formed beside the back wall. This must have been the place where the mysterious monster came out of. I crouched down and proceeded to enter it. Music was heard playing on the other end which surprised me. As I got farther and farther down the tunnel it started to get brighter. I am not talking about hell either. In a flash everything became bright. I shielded my eyes and felt the warm air on my skin. Land as beautiful as Greece was revealed as I stared in astonishment. Green grass and grape vines, Temples and stone statues, Creatures of the unknown danced around and worked on the plowed land. I couldn't seem to spot the generous monster yet but this is where my journey began.


         My journey for the missing monster began at exactly five in the morning. The air was damp and humid like the condensated grass blades. Trees whistled as the wind found its way to its branches. I searched in my backpack and pulled out a map.
“ How did this get in here?” I said questioningly.
The only thing that came to mind was the monster. It must have been the one to put it in here. It seems as if he wants me to go on this adventure and track him down. I opened it up and looked at all of the obstacles I will have to face soon. This world is not like any you here in the textbooks. It's a fantasy with no means of becoming a reality and it is all under my bed. Just the thought of that amazes me and terrifies me at the same time.


         Continuing on foot, I came across a desolate stone house. Vines were grown all along the cracks and fractures. Chickens roamed freely among the yard. I could see a very open wine vineyard along the side. This season must be good because the tiny trees were covered in fresh grapes. I proceeded to the front door, just as I was about to knock, a short Stubby man asked what I was doing.
“Hey! What do you think you’re doing here?”
It was clear just exactly what he was. A munchkin person! I studied his posture and physical characteristics. His trousers were brought up to his middle stomach area and he had a long beard reaching the ground. He was carrying what seemed a tobacco pipe in his mouth, huffing and puffing away.
“I’m sorry, Is this your house? I just came from a totally new place and I am trying to search for someone in particular.”
He seemed to ease down a bit and took his hands off of his hips. I told him the whole story of why I am here and who I am looking for.
“I have never seen any monster like that here before”,he said.
This alarmed me a bit.
“Do you have any idea where I could possibly find him?”, I asked calmly.
“Up on Sataga hill is where newcomers go to get accepted in our world. Without proper consent from the king, one could be banned forever, or even killed.”
My face went pale and I got up as quick as I could.
“Thank you so much, I better get going then.”
To my surprise, He gave me a special calling device in case I needed to contact him. I am not talking about a cellphone but a peculiar object. It was a hollowed out goat horn with detailed designs and patterns along the rims. It was quite beautiful.
“Thank you very much!”, I told the man.


                  I continued on my journey to Satago hill, in search of the monster. I thought the time would be different here but it was the same as it was back at home. I brought a long my pocket watch and recorded the times of my arrivals. The first one read, “Six in the morning- terry's’ cottage”( name of the munchkin man). I put the journal back in my backpack and looked around at my new surroundings. I had approached a wide lake with swans and wild geese fluttering over the surface. Dragonflies and tiny insects buzzed around in search of food to eat. Deer with their kin relaxed by the wooden harbor protruding from the bank. This scenery is like the kind you see in National Geographic's, with its beauty so pure, nothing can take away from this masterpiece. I let out a long sigh as if I just relieved myself of all of my inner burdens and worries. I needed this break, so I got out my classic checkered blanket, and laid it along the inclined hill leading to the glistening lake. I got out my snack consisting of apple tarts and turkey sandwiches. I had even managed to bring a long my favorite licorice candy. I finally finished my food and wrapped up the blanket. I have to admit that I will miss this place dearly. I grabbed my bag and set out once again to my unpredictable journey.


                The sun was setting, and I was starting to worry about where I would sleep. Even though this world seemed perfect in every way, life can throw curve balls and unpredictable futures. I entered a deep forest along the way and noticed a tall oak tree sticking out among the others. I walked in that direction and realized there was a light shining from the base of the tree as I approached it. Was someone living here? That question dawned in my mind. I was pretty tired from this long day so I was at least hoping they would let me enter. The tree had a door as tall as me with a rounded stature and hand made window frames. It was like something you would see in a childhood storybook. Flower gardens were planted all along the sides in rows matching with perfect color harmony. I knocked on the solid, wooden door in hopes to be face to face with a fellow traveler like me. The door opened and a half horse/man was standing right in front of me. He looked like Thomas from narnia ,but without the goat body. His hair was long and silk and he had it braided into one long strand. He had strong muscles and of course, half a horse body which was a chestnut color and fleabitten white spots along his stomach area.
“Would it be okay if I slept here for the night?” I asked him.
“Of course you can! Anyone is welcome here.”
I soon realized he was a creative being. His tree home was filled with knick-knacks and handmade decorations. He immediately showed me around. I told him about my journey here and the reason for my being.
“I have many travelers like you come along this way, they are always in search of the monster who gave them something they needed most.”
I was surprised he said this and I told him that I am here exactly for that reason. He says everyone likes to call him “geneveer.”
“That is a very strange name” I said to the man.
His facial expression showed that he agreed with me, and then got up to fetch something in the kitchen. This tree home was fantastically built and planned out. Every inch was decorated with the finest wood carvings. Picture frames held what seemed to be family members and past relatives. I was fascinated by this whole concept of decor.


                The man got back from the kitchen and brought back what seemed to be freshly made cookies. Their fragrance filled my nose with chocolate sweetness and oatmeal. How did he know these were my favorite? After discussing my whole situation and devouring every last, delicious cookie, the man finally understood my reason for seeking out this monster, so called Geneveer. The whole situation didn't intrigue him as much as I thought it would, considering travelers come here often like he had spoken of before. As the fireplace crackled and snapped , I felt a sense of hominess. This environment brought back childhood memories of me sitting in front of my great grandmother's fireplace, reading on”Science of the universe” magazines. I snuggled up in the sheared wool blanket and and closed my eyes. I fell into a deep sleep.


                I woke up to the sound of trumpets blaring and feet stomping the hard ground. I shot up and tried to figure out my location. I seemed to be in a carriage. I shifted back in forth from the wheels hitting the bumpy rocks and uneven dirt mounds.
“Where am I?” I yelled to myself.
“You’re on your way to the high kings castle” said a woman's voice from the corner.
I looked over to spot a very thin woman with wavy brown hair sitting cross legged. Her body was covered in a torn up tunic and dirt resting on all of her arms and legs. I was guessing she was a slave working for the king considering how worn out and exhausted she looked. She was holding what seemed a dagger in her right hand.
“I’m planning on breaking out of here” she said seriously.
“ I still don't understand how I got here, I remember falling asleep at a tree house and…”
“I know exactly who you are talking about. That is Arvak. He works for the high king by inviting travelers into his home and giving them cookies filled with sleep potions. That is how I became,well, this.”
She gestured towards herself. It took me a few moments to process this information. This world wasn't as good as I thought it was. I felt betrayed by a friend.
“We need to get out of here” I said quietly to her.
She agreed with a nod of her head and we both waited for the carriage to stop. The plan seemed clear enough to both of us.


                         The carriage halted and we formed into our attack positions. I could feel my heart beating faster and faster as footsteps got closer.
“My name is Katara”,she said.  This name dawned on me for a minute sounding oddly familiar, but I couldn't pinpoint where exactly I have heard of it before.
“ Andrew”, I said with a nodd.
Our few moments together ended abruptly as the carriage doors flew open. A man in a guard's uniform opened them up with his scarred hands. His uniform consisted of a silver plated chest plate and leather arm coverings. The seams were sewn beautifully and in the most detailed manner. A castle name was stretched across the shoulder saying “High Haven”, and had a red shield beside it. My mind suddenly filled with flashbacks. A toddler, so small standing on the cold stone steps waiting for his mother who will never come back. Cries filling the air and swords being swung, stabbing opponents and innocent civilians of the city. It was soon clear to me. I was born in High Haven and the king was my father.


End of Chapter 1

 

 


 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.