Magic is | Teen Ink

Magic is

By HeyBi BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
HeyBi BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

"Smiles can be catching, and I think I just caught one." Winnie the Pooh

Author's note:

I always loved writing and reading, and when this idea came to mind I just had to share it.

I know this chapter is really long, but I still hope you enjoy it.

agic
       I still don't remember my past. I don't remember who taught me what I know.  I don't remember what happened to my mother, and I sure as heck don't remember why I am living in the forest with elves. I am Rose. I am 15 years old and I live with an old elf family. I have two older elf brothers named Mirro and Sume. Mirro's the clumsy one, he is 16. And Sume is defiantly a pure jock, he's 17. My elf mom's name is Jacky, and my elf dad is Trimor. They told me little about my past. All they told me was that one day they heard a knock on the door and there was an 8 year old human girl, and a 9 year old human boy there. Then they told me that they took care of us as if we were their own. After that they say that him and I were like BFFs, but one day we were climbing on a tree over the river to get to our clubhouse, but I hit my head and fell in and he tried to save me, but he drowned. I lost all memory after that, but every once in a while, I'll venture into the woods for a nap, and while I'm resting, I have dreams or visions of my past. Those dreams are always hazy and they make me dizzy, and give me a headache. I don't actually think they're real, but who knows. Anyways, tonight one of my only human friends, Katniss, and I are having a sleepover. Which is rare for me. The only other time I have had a sleepover is with my ex-best friend Veronica. She was an elf, but we could not be more similar. We would share everything with each other, until she got popular. Now all we share are rude remarks. Sorry I got sidetracked again. I have to make sure everything is perfect. I don't know if Katniss is expecting much, so I just put up some ribbons. After that I grab a huge pot and toss in a bunch of delicious ingredients, and heat them up. *I hope she likes Elven stew.* I think pouring the mixture into bowls. I hear a knock on the door."I got it!" I yell running to the door. "Hi Rose!" In walks Nathan. "Nathan, I wasn't expecting you, and Katniss is coming over so could you go?" I say pointing to the door. I know Katniss likes him, but he barely talks to me, and I just don't like him. Besides, she doesn't like my crush, so why should I like hers? "Oh. I guess I'll leave. I just came to say that I was hoping you would be willing to help me with a project," He says so slowly and properish. That's just another thing I do not like about him, but I do love projects, and building, and stuff like that. "Um, what's the project?" I say fluffing the pillows on the couch acting as if I didn't care. "Well it's a project involving some magic of sorts. So what's in the pot?" I smile. "It's Elven Stew, but let's talk about this project. Magic? Real Magic?" I grin at the thought. "Yes real Magic." Nathan says sitting down on the couch where I am now sitting. "What kind of magic?" I scoot in closer. I just have to know. "Well. Dark magic..." I cut him off. "Nathan! Dark magic! That is dangerous!" I say jumping back. "I know. I just thought..." He puts his hand on my knee. "Nathan! What has gotten into you?" He pulls me in close. I knew something was up and I jumped away. I have to think. *I've got it! Nathan would never even come to my house without Katniss. Let alone talk about dark magic! Therefore, it's not Nathan!* I thought. But now what. I know I should probably call Katniss, but what would I say? ... Um hi Katniss, so Nathan walked in and asked me if I would help with a project. Then he said dark magic and almost kissed me. ... Yeah no way I was calling her. Wait! That's it! I'll call Aust! Oh Aust! I run over to the counter, grab my phone, and run upstairs. "Oh come on pick up pick up!" I say quietly knowing Mirro is probably eaves dropping. "I picked up! Just kidding. This is my voicemail. Leave a message!" I frown. The one think I don't like about Aust. But everything else about him is perfect. He's adventurous, smart and loves projects like me, but I guess he needs a new voicemail. I'm not gonna leave a message so I call again. "Hey! This is Aust! Who's speaking?" He laughs. "Aust, This is the 21st century I know you can see who is calling. Anyways, so there is some sort of creature at my house and he is trying to..." Aust interrupts. "No need to say anymore I'm on my way!" He hangs up. Aust! In my house! I have to change! Oh never mind, we have more important things to worry about. I run downstairs as fast as I can. "Oh. Rose! There you are," the creature that looks like Nathan says. "Just in time too!" The Nathan creature jumps up and turns into a hideous creature with claws. It looks a little like a Grey Terror, but in black armor. I know exactly what type of creature this is. This is what has been coming after me my whole life. A dark knight. The dark knight jumps at me trying to trap me, but I jump out of the way. It shoves me to the ground, scratching me with its claws, injecting me with poison. I only have a few minutes before death. I see that it's about to launch at me again, my only hope now is a miracle. "Rose!" I see Aust walk in. After that, all goes black. I can see someone though. In a dream type thing. I see... An angel. A tall boy with blonde hair and blue eyes like an ocean. Then in walks... "Jesus?" "Rose, how silly of you it's not your time. Go, run on back," Jesus says pointing to a staircase. I run up to him and hug him then I go. I feel like I have been running forever, when I arrive at my house I hear someone talking... "Please... Please... No!" I recognize Aust's voice. "What? What's wrong Aust?" I say walking in. Aust doesn't reply, like he didn't hear me. He was hunched over a body. I walked up to see who it was. The girl he was crying over was... me? I feel a few drops as if it's raining. Then I feel someone hold my hand. "Aust? What's happening?" I suddenly black out.

I know this Chapter is REALLY short. Anyways comment for Chapter 3!

I am walking. I have been walking for what feels like years. I am walking in pitch black darkness. Finally, I see a light up ahead. I hear voices coming from what seems like the end of a tunnel. "Let me ask you one more time, What happened?" I can not recognize the voice. I can tell that who ever is speaking is furious. "Katniss! I already told you..." So know I can assume the mad one is Katniss, but who does the other voice belong too? And who is Katniss? I keep walking, but I am not getting any closer. I feel I tug on my cloths. I turn around. I see nothing but darkness. I listen for the voices. "Aust! There is no such thing as a dark knight! Now tell me what really happened, because I think you are responsible," Katniss yelled. So I now know the other voice is Aust, but who is he? I don't know, but their names sound a little familiar. "Please! If we hurry we can save her!" Aust cried. "Aust! It's too late. She's dead," Katniss snipped. I wonder who is dead. I wonder who these people are, and most of all I wonder where I am. I only wish I could get to the light. "But... I can't lose her again! I mean I only just found out she was still alive," Aust said. "Aust! How come you didn't tell me that you knew Rose before?" Katniss sounded even angrier. Now that name I knew. "That's my name!!" I gasp. Now I remember. Katniss and Aust are my friends! I wish I could get to them. I need to ask them some very important questions. I start to cry. I close my eyes, and when I open them I see Aust and Katniss standing over my body. "Rose!" They both yell. I started coughing. Aust hugs me tight. This hug has only ever happened in my dreams. "Did she make it?" A small dragon asked. "Zelda? Is that you?" I coughed. "Yup! It's me scales and bones!" The dragon giggled. "Katniss? Are you in here?" A boy asked walking in. "Aaaaa get out of here!" I yell hugging Aust back. It was the dark knight disguised as Nathan. "Rose calm down. It's only Nathan," Katniss said. "You don't know that! It could still be the dark knight! Get out!" I scream. "Ah so the dark knight is real," Katniss said. I told you! Aust said jumping up. Get out!!!!! I yelled again. Rose. The dark knight is not here. He is somewhere, but he is not here. Aust reassured me. Oh in that case... I say jumping up, but then falling back down. Rose! You need to rest. Aust says picking me up. He wraps my arm around his shoulder, and helps me limp to the couch. Um guys? I think I died. I say when I get to the couch. Um, Rose. You did. They all say laughing. Then let me ask you this. How am I alive? Some sort of dark magic?