The Cats Came From Outer Space | Teen Ink

The Cats Came From Outer Space

Author's note:

Watch "Holy Shit Cats" on Youtube

“Jenny wait up,”  as I yelled while running towards her. It was a friday afternoon and we just got out of school for the summer. Jenny was just a few houses down from me and we had plans to walk together after school. But I guess she forgot.
“Oh I’m sorry,” she exclaimed when I finally caught up to her. “It completely slipped my mind, I guess I’m just too excited for summer” .
“Yeah it's fine,” I reply, “And I am too, This summer is going to be great”.
We talked for about twenty minutes while on the way to Jenny’s house. The walk didn’t seem to take that long, probably because we've walked this same path several times during the school year.
When we finally got to Jenny’s house, She opened the door to see her dog excitedly jumping and running in circles. “Calm down Joey,” She says laughingly.
“He’s at it again isn’t he?” Jenny’s brother Tom asks. “He does this everyday”.
“He does this doesn’t he?” Jenny says.
The three of us all hangout for a little over an hour, watching cartoons and whatever else was on the television, before I decided to walk home.
I only live a few houses down the road so it only takes me about a minute before i’m at my front door.
As I’m unlocking my front door the neighbors cat comes over and visits me for a few minutes. She’s an old cat that doesn’t like that many people, but over the years we’ve slowly become friends. I remember as a young kid whenever I tried to pet princess she always tried to run away or try to bite at me, But nowadays she comes up to me whenever she pleases. It’s like we’re best friends now.
After petting Princess for a few minutes I head inside to make myself some mac and cheese, It's an easy meal to make since my parents aren't home and the won’t get home until later. I ate my mac and cheese and took a 15 minutes shower.
Getting out of the shower I quickly grabbed a towel and dried myself off. I put on some pajamas, brushed my teeth, and got into bed.
I fell asleep around 8pm, I was really tired from school and I am really happy that I’m finally finished this year.
I’m woken up by the sound of thunder and lightning clashing outside my bedroom window. “It wasn’t supposed to storm today,” I thought to myself, “The weatherman must’ve been wrong”. I try to fall back asleep but I wasn’t tired enough, considering I received about eleven hours of sleep last night. I decided to lay in bed for another hour or so.
I soon muster up the urge to get out of bed, put some clothes on, and make myself some breakfast. I made some oatmeal and had a glass of orange juice.
After my meal I decided to go outside to look at the weather some more. It was still thundering and lightning, but there was something strange. There was no rain and the clouds had a slight pink tint to them. “This is weird,” I thought to myself. As I’m staring at the clouds I hear like a growling noise come from the neighbor's bushes. I leaned in to take a glance to see what it was. Then princes jumped out and me hissing, trying to bite and my feet.
“Okay this is weird,” I thought to myself. “She usually doesn’t act like this. I could be the weather that’s making her act strange. I decided to walk back inside to watch some cartoons for awhile, But then I got a call from jenny.
“Look outside, Look outside!”. She screamed. “The cats!”
“Whats, whats going on?” I asked.
“Hurry, hurry just go look outside,” Again she screams.
I get up out of my seat and opened the phone door while still on the phone with jenny. As soon as I creaked the door open I couldn’t believe what I saw.
“Jenny what’s going o--,” I froze in the sight of terror. Looking up into the sky, it looked like hundreds of spaceships falling through the clouds surrounded by, “Cats?” I screamed in my head. “What is happening?” I cried to jenny.
“I. Don’t. Know,” she cried softly. “Just come over here quickly”
I end the call with jenny and tossed the phone onto the couch. I rushed out the door and as quickly as I could ran down the street to Jenny’s house.
“Jenny open up,” I screamed while knocking furiously on the door.  “What’s going on,” I asked.
“Let's turn on the news and see if they have anything on this,” Tom said. But the television was just all static. We started flipping channels but every channel was all static. I picked up the phone to try and call 911 but there was also static. It seemed like every sort of communication device was cut off.
“We need to at least find someone that knows--,” Jenny was cut off by a loud bang that came from their backyard. “What the?”
“That seemed to come from outside, should we go check it out?” asked Tom.
“It’s dangerous out there,” I said.
“Umm, Ah. Don’t worry,” says tom as he grabs a poker from the fireplace.
“Really tom?” Says jenny.
“Unless you have anything better,” He responds.
The three of us make our way outside to investigate the loud bang. What we saw neither of us could believe.
“Is that. One of their spaceships?” I said.
“It seems so,” Tom says as he approaches the crashed ship.
“Don’t get close to it!” Jenny yells.
“It’s okay I’m just seeing if there is anyone, or anything, inside”. Tom jabs the poker into a side panel of the ship and climbs in. “Are you guys coming?” He asks.
“As longs as it's clear,” I said walking towards the ship. I couldn't help but think how familiar this ship looked. Its like ive seen it before. Somewhere but i can’t remember.
“Come on in. It’s safe,” says Tom. He gives me a hand climbing into the ship.
First glance the only thing you could see is a bunch of flashing buttons and switches.
“Wait guys. I've seen this before,” I said.
“You have?” Said Jenny.
“Yeah. There was an alien documentary on the discovery channel the other day,” I replied. “It explained about a bunch of alien sightings and even showed a crash landed ship, like this one we’re standing in right now”
“So you know about this ship?” Asks Jenny.
“Yes, and I even know how to stop them,” I exclaimed.
“What you do,” said Tom.
“Oh yes,”  I replied. “See that blue coil towards the back of the ship? According to the documentary, that's what brings coolant to the engine. If it gets ripped out the engine will overheat and explode.”
“So all we have to do is find the mothership and rip out the coil, I mean, there has to be a mothership right?” asked jenny.
“Yes, the documentary said that they will always have a leader with their fleet,” I replied, “But the only problem is that we actually have to find the mothership, get on board, and rip out the coil without being detected”. I exclaimed.
“Now where could the ship---,” Tom got cut off by what sounded like a thousand jet engines taking off above us. But the sound was getting closer. The three of us looked up outside and saw a massive ship, that looks like to be the size our our city, about to land directly on top of us.
“Guys I think we have to move,” yelled Tom. We all darted into the house and headed towards the basement. I nearly tripped and fell down the steps.
As soon as we got the bottom of the steps we could hear the roaring sound of the spaceship's engines get close and closer. Then followed by a lot of cracking sounds and another loud bang.
“Do you think it landed?” Asked Jenny.
“I don’t know but I‘m going to check,” I said as I slowly make my way upstairs. At the top of the stairs I could see part of the roof being caved in, assuming from the ship landing. I look out the window and yes. It has landed. Sadly it does seem like a couple of our neighbors houses have been destroyed due to the landing, but hopefully we will make up for it.
“Yes it has landed,” I scream down the steps. “Come on guys look”.
The two of them came upstairs in a hurry. “Oh do you think that’s the mothership?” asked Jenny.
“It probably is,” I responded.
“So do you guys want to do the coil idea?” Asked Tom.
“I’d say it's worth the risk” I said. “If it will stop the invasion I’m down to try anything.” 
“I agree with that,” said Tom.
Tom grabbed the poker he picked up from the fireplace and we started to make our way outside. At first glance we realized how big the spaceship is. It is massive. Way bigger than any flying vehicle from earth.
“How do we get in?” Jenny asked.
“The same way we got into the other ship,” Tom said as he as he used his poker to peel off a panel from the bottom of the ship. “See there we go”.
We all started to climb through the hole Tom created. It was dark but we used the light of our cell phones to see where we're going. We kept heading in a single direction until we came up to a wall. “Hold on I got this,” said Tom as he again starts peeling off the panel.
The panel came off and opened up a room with a bunch of motors and control panels.       “This must be the engine room, do you think the coil would be here,” asked Jenny.
“If this is the control room, then there is a possibility it could be,” I replied,
The three of us slowly explore the room making as little noise as we possibly could, until we came up to a door.
“Should we open it?” Tom asked.
“We have to find the coil somehow,” I said as I slowly opened the door.
When the door opened the three of us just stood there in awe staring at the coil which looked to be three stories tall.
“How are we going to remove that?” asked Jenny.
“I have no idea,” I said.
“What  if we just damage it enough to the point where it's unusable?” Tom asked while waving around the poker stick.
“That Just might work’” I replied.
He starts stabbing the coil with his poker and with each hole he makes, blue liquid substance pours out.
“I think it's working,” said Jenny.
Tom keeps stabbing the coil for a good thirty seconds, putting more and more holes into the coil, but then we were startled by a siren and red lights going off.
“That’s enough now. We have to get out of here,” I exclaimed. We started running towards the way we came in. On our way out we kept hearing loud cat meows from above us. It sounded like they were panicking.
Once we made it out of the ship us three quickly made it back inside of my house and back to the basement. As soon as we made it to the bottom we heard a loud explosion from outside.
“I think we did it,” Said Jenny.
We slowly walked to the top of the stairs and looked outside the window. The three of us saw the entire fleet head back up into the clouds. “It's over,” I thought to myself.