A bright Light | Teen Ink

A bright Light

By Nerbles GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri
Nerbles GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri

I glared at the book, I couldn't look away. This is what caused so much bloodshed, so much fear. It's only been a day since we clashed with the moon elves, in their home capital. All these sacrifices, Just so the curse on my people that banished most of us underground can be lifted. The book had a black cover with a lock in the shape of a pentagram, and the words within written in with blood. This book sent chills down my spine. I heard the tent fabric move and a quickly glanced towards the opening. It was Xyke, the loyal captain and one of my close friends. He has been in many battles and we have lost many friends, but we always seem to get out of the mess together. As the fabric of the tent left his hand, he satirized me.“Well look who it is, My hero, Sir Callimar Despana ”. “psh. Keep talking, one day you'll say something worth my time.” I shot back with a grin.  We shook hands, I ask “why are you here, I thought you were busy keeping the moon elves at bay?”  He gave a smile, handed me a note and replied, “I actually came to tell you that you are to arrive in Ulthuan and to meet with headmaster Lanos.”  I studied the letter, it was a white letter with a gold outline on the fold and around the seal. The bright red wax seal ment it came from the master himself and it was of the upmost importance. I grabbed my dagger and sliced the letter open. The summary letter read “I need you to come to Ulthuan immediately, it is in your best interest, I can't say much anything on this letter in case of outside eyes, I'll see you when you get here.” and at the bottom was his signature signed in gold ink. I looked up at Xyke  “It seems I have been summoned, I must leave immediately. Have them prepare my horse.” He could tell that it was important by my expression and stern look. “Yes Sir” he replied as he hurried out of the tent. I grabbed the book, took one more glance at it and I put on my silver chainmail, which was the color of my hair,and then my black cloak with the insignia of my home country and house. The cloak matched my skin for I was a dark elf, a very high standing warrior of the night. I got up and put on my boots, grabbed my shield, and attached my scabbard to my belt. The camp was a small temporary camp, very quiet for the most part, the only noise came from the movement of armor and a tapping of hooves. Trees surrounded us for miles and only one river ran through the land. I walked over to the stables and in front of the men was a jet black horse with armor made of gold. That was my horse and on my horse was my provisions. I walked over and put the book in a small metal chest that has been had been given to me by the blacksmith, I then put the chest in my bags. I hopped on my horse and said my farewells. Xyke walked up to me “we still had to make the moon elves think that we kept the book here, besides all of our finest troops are still holding them back, so no one will be accompany you”. “It will be faster this way. I put you in charge.” I replied as a hopped on the horse. I waved goodbye as my horse galloped away, and kept looking back until the camp was out of sight. I glanced up at the sky, it was growing dark. I was just 36 hours from the capital. I know I need not stop, but a day worth of riding takes its toll. I continued riding until I came across a clearing with a single apple tree in the middle. It was perfect, I wouldn't have to go that much into my supplies and I have an clearing that I can secure. I rode up to the tree, got off , and tied my horse to the tree. “well first thing first, I need to gather firewood” I thought as a grabbed my crossbow and bolts. Just in case some game came by. I started gathering branches off of this tree gathering all the apples attached to the branches I pulled off. I put them in two separate piles, one for the apples and one pile for the campfire, by the time I was done, twilight was upon me. I started the fire and leaned against the tree looking at the stars. I wondered why I was chosen to run this to book to our fair city. I am the best swordsmen but a convoy of royal guards must've been easier and faster since they could travel at night without being disturbed. I took a bite out of the apple and it tasted great. After a while I stood up to put more wood on the fire, but right when I stood up everything started to swirl and I collapsed back onto the tree. There was a muffled sound of voices and footsteps, I manage to open my eyes in time to see a bright figure running into the cave with my bags. I then passed back out. My muscles finally started to awake and once I could finally stand I stretched them. I stood up and immediately checked at what they took. I walked over to my horse which throughout has been slashed and its tongue cut which is probably a warning. All the bags had been taken off, even the one I was delivering to the king that had the book inside.  I was still dressed in my combat gear so I started to head for the cave hoping that it didn't have another exit. I ran into the entrance, it was dark, humid and pretty dank. My dark elf eyes guided me, cutting right through the darkness. I continued to walk til I reached a door. The door was old and made of rotted wood, I single lock was on the door, rusted. I drew my sword and swung. The lock broke easily and I continued cautiously. After a minute The cavern started to open up, I looked around, I was in a big circular room with weird lettering on the walls, across the room was another door, however this one was made of steel. I walked over the one of the walls and examined the lettering. It was in an ancient language I couldn't understand, but upon closer inspection I found that the words were arranged into weird symbols, A circle with a single line across the center, a bell shape, and a small person, a dwarf or a child. I had to hurry and get my stuff back, so I towards the door. The door was covered in hand prints made of dirt or something of the sorts, the lock on the door was unlocked, so I grabbed the handle, the door opposed, but after a lot of protest it soon creaked and dragged open but there was still a force pushing it shut. I walked inside only to have it swing shut after I let it go. I glanced around, the rock in the room was a dark black, the room was gigantic. In the back of the room was a circle of fire and in the middle of the fire was a small child, a transparent ghastly figure. I glance to my left and right, On the left was my supplies and to the right was a small river that goes underneath the wall. I carefully went over to the left, I needed my supplies, the book, more specifically, I reached my bag and the ghastly figure was whispering a small chant, It was too quiet to make out so I went through my bag, Everything seemed to be untouched, I kept rummaging through my items until I came across the chest, which I then took out and examined. Everything looked, great until, I came across the front of the small chest. The lock that was on the small chest was melted, after little force it snapped opened. The book was gone! The noise that came from me forcing open the chest seemed to have gotten the attention of the figure in the middle of the room. I glanced over to see the figure looking at me and chanting loud, holding up the black bound book that had been in my possession. The room started to shake and a deep red and black portal opened in front of the figure. Out came Galadiel, the single moon elf I through into the portal of oblivion, back when we attack their capital. Something was different about him though, maybe it was the fact he was fifteen meters high, he had a huge scythe, maybe it was his massive muscles and red skin, maybe he got a haircut. I'm going with the haircut. Galadiel reached down and crushed the ghastly figure, blood spilled everywhere and the book bounced to a nearby wall. I drew my sword and shield and walked around the edge of the room. Galadiel glared at me. He grabbed a huge stalagmite from the ceiling with little effort and hurled it at me. I rolled to dodge it but it clipped my shield and smashed against the wall. Pain shot up from my wrist. Luckily wrist don't mattle on the shield hand, I stood up and rushed towards him slashing his left leg. He glanced towards me and growled. His black blood rushing down from the wound I had just Inflicted. This monstrosity swung its scythe above him cutting all the stalagmites off having them come crashing down. I manage to hop onto these falling rocks fast enough to try to slash his face, but he swatted me away effortlessly. I slammed against the wall once again, some more pain shot up from my back, “Yep something broken” I thought. I fell near the book and I scrambled to get it. He trust his scythe in my direction, again I managed to survive and grabbed the book, but it cut down the left side of my face, Being blinded by blood I rushed towards the right side of the room. I could possibly get the river, I might be able to escape. Another swing of the scythe came towards me and I tried to parry it. I heard a snap. The snap that all swordsmen fear, the snap of their blade. I glanced down to see my family sword lying in two. I didn't have time to gather it. I continued to rush towards the river. Once I reached the river he swung one last time towards me. slashing my back as I jumped in. The water was freezing, but it was also different. It was a red from the blood, my blood. Slowly everything swirled to black and the emptiness of the void gripped me.

This book has 1 comment.

imagonner said...
imagonner, Loveland, Colorado

' its not about winning fist place in the race, its about finishing the race.' don't forget who you are to me.

nice I like how you don't rush this plot. pls come check out my story, it would mean the world to me.