Brenonda | Teen Ink

Brenonda

April 9, 2016
By Kirito343, Grand Forks, North Dakota
More by this author
Kirito343, Grand Forks, North Dakota
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This is a short story that I wrote to at first impress my english teacher. Though after a while I had great ideas and one of them was to enter this contest. It has tradegy and a little humor. Great battles and a big revenge plot.

The author's comments:

I don't really have chapters... lol. Sorry for that inconvenience

I looked down from my hiding spot behind the boulder, and there he was, at the mouth of the volcano. He was dressed in a black and flame orange robe, and had the eye of a mad man. He stood there, hands out, shouting what seemed like an incantation. I stood there watching for what felt like hours, waiting to see what happened.
After a while I noticed something different about the gurgling lava, something was emerging. What seemed like a big glowing bubble turned out to be something that looked as if sent from the demons in Hell themselves rose a horrific beast. It was blood red, with wings smooth as silk. It had extraordinarily sharp and glistening black talons, but the most terrifying feature, was its eyes. They were a radiant white, and seemed to stare right into your very mind. The dragon had an incredibly long tail, and small spikes along his spine from tip of the tail to the back of its head. I stared in mortal fear of the thing, but it was what happened next…

I woke up in a pool of sweat, these dreams happen often, but they get worse each time. The dreams always stop right then, I never learn more. Quite frankly, I don’t want to learn anymore. I looked at my clock, it was five in the morning. Great, three more hours till school starts. Might as well make some breakfast.
I was walking towards the kitchen past the bathroom when something caught my eye. I walked in and flipped on the lights. I looked around and wasn’t surprised not to find anything. I washed my face off with cold water and was drying it off, but when I looked in the mirror was when I screamed.Did my eyes seriously just flash a bright, glowing green like that?

“Brenonda, what is with you this morning? It is five o’clock! You almost woke up your father.” My mom had came in then, and gave me a cold stare.
“Something spooked me, that’s all. Sorry mom.” I said.
“Well, ok… Just keep it down from now on.” said my mom.
“Ok mom, love you.” I said, the ol’ “I love you” trick always… Usually… Works.
“I love you, too sweetie. Have a good day at school, I probably won’t be up to see you off.” she said.
I didn’t really care about that, my family hasn’t ever really been morning people. It is how it is and will always be that way.
“Ok mom.”
I was still in shock when i got to the kitchen, I dug around in the fridge and found an apple. I was looking out the window that’s above the sink washing it when I saw someone standing under the hazy glow of the street light. At a closer glance, I saw it was the man in the robe from my dream, he was staring right at me and was pointing his finger at something above my house. That freaked me out only a little compared to what happened next. A car passed by and when it vanished, the man in the flaming robe had vanished, too.
I finished my morning routine with the image of the man still burned into the front of my mind, and was walking out the door when I heard a bloody scream. It had come from my parents bedroom. I ran as fast as I could go, and when I got there my parents were in their bed…
Dead.
The man in the robe was there, kneeling over them, saying something I couldn’t interpret.
I decided to talk to him, “Wha-What happened? You murderer!”
He looked up, “Twas not me nor my companions that killed your beloved. Believe me, I am on your side.”
His eyes were glistening in the faint light. I could tell he was telling the truth.
“Well, if you didn’t kill them, who did?” I asked.
“The man who killed your parents missed his target, his original target was you, Brenonda. You have some magical powers that have been lost for thousands of years. You, Brenonda… Are the reincarnation of an ancient sorceress named Darlex, and you have been chosen to help us take back our country from the evil rule of the murderer…  Zexlar.”
“But wh-who are you then?”I asked, starting to cry.
“That does not matter right now, you must come with me and my companions, and you must know... Your parents were very good friends of ours, we are also very mournful for them.” said the man.
“How can I believe you?” I asked, everyone knows not to go anywhere with strangers.
“Look at my wrist.” he said, there was a symbol imprinted of a dragon curled up in a way that formed a circle. “Now look at your father and mother’s.” he said, showing their wrists, the imprint was on theirs as well. “Look at yours, Brenonda.”
I flipped my wrist to see what I was told was a birthmark.
“As you now see, we are on the same team, now Brenonda, come with us.”
It was pretty convincing, and I decided to make a choice that would further change my life.
“Ok, I think I can trust you.”I said.
The man led me out my front door and across the street. School had started and kids were filing into the doors, I could tell because we were literally thirty yards away. The man continued leading me past the school and into the park. There he started saying something under his breath, and in a bright light the air itself tore open and a portal appeared leading into what seemed like a field of flowers in place of a park. He stepped through and motioned me to follow, then he went wide-eyed and motioned me quicker, I turned around and saw a black shadowy cloud chasing at a high speed. I ran for my life through the portal and with a zing it closed far quicker than it opened, and just in time, too.
“What in the world of Hell was that?!” I shouted.
“That was Zexlar, the one trying to take your life and, currently, our country, in which we have traveled back in time to before Zexlar succeeded. In exactly two weeks time, there will be a great war, and only you can stop it. For one week and six days we will train, on the last day, we will climb up the volcano and resurrect a great beast to help us…”
“A dragon…” I said, remembering the dream I had.
“Yes, how did you know?” asked the man.
“I’ve been having dreams…” I said
For the next couple of hours we walked and walked, until we heard a blood-churning shriek. Out of the woods came what looked like twenty green-like creatures.
“Brenonda, stay back! These are Goblins, sent probably by Zexlar!” Shouted the man, and he pulled from his robe a bladed staff.
The man swung and missed as the Goblins were not going for him, they came at me and I threw my hands up and in front of my face. All of a sudden, there was a flash of blue light and lightning came out of nowhere and struck about fifteen of them, I gazed around and saw my hands, they were smoking. I did that?!
The lightning was not enough though, as the man in the robe was then hit in the leg by an arrow that came out of the woods. He fell to the ground in a heap, clutching his now crippled leg. He screamed in pain, letting me know he was alive. All of a sudden more Goblins came out and grabbed me, I was roughly thrown into a sack after iron cups were thrown on my hands and locked in place. I screamed for help, but it was no use.
After a few minutes of being carried, a voice appeared in my head.
Brenonda, use the magick, you have it for a reason. Use it now! Just clench your fists and say this, “DE’CACKARICH!”
“Mom, is that you?!” I whispered to myself.
Yes honey, now you have to do this. It is your only chance. I am dead, but you have to accept this. Now you must escape. I love you…
I decided to give it a try, I clenched my fist, and shouted,
“DE’CACKARICH!”
All of a sudden, I was encased in a ball of flame, but the flame didn’t burn me. My iron cups melted, and the bag was now nothing but ash, along with the goblins.
I had no idea where I was, but I knew we couldn’t have gone far. I decided to walk around a little. It wasn’t long before I heard moaning little off in the distance. I ran to see what it was. Sure enough, it was him, he had pulled out the arrow by this time and was wrapping his injured leg in cloth from his robe.
“Brenonda, how did you…? Aw, nevermind. What matters is I cannot walk, I’ll have to fly. I will be right above you, so don’t worry. Just follow your heart and you’ll make it to the village.” said the man looking up.
“Ummm, ok. Sounds great, but how do I exactly ‘follow my heart’?”I asked, but it was too late, with a few whispers and a whoosh, he was gone.
I started walking, not knowing where I was going. I walked for a few hours, and above I could faintly see the black splotch of the man. I soon came to a small village, and by the man having landed and being helped by other people, I guessed I made it to the sacred village.
The man whispered a few things to a short little girl that looked to be about my age and she came over to me.
“Hello, you must be Brenonda. I am Satra, of the gnomes. Pleased to meet you.” she said
“Hi, nice to meet you, too. Where am I?” I asked.
“You are in the village of Everton.” she responded, waving her hand behind her. “Come, let me show you around.”
Satra led me down a path and past buildings that looked as if they were built into the trees, or as if the trees grew around them.
“Wow, this is incredible” Was all I could say.
“Isn’t it? Now let me introduce you to two others, they are also about your age, at least… They look like it.” Satra said gleefully.
We walked a little longer until we came to a big stone building. After walking inside the one conversation stopped and two intelligent eyes fell on me.
“Eldred & Lora, this is Brenonda.” Satra said, motioning me over. Both of the people kept serious faces as they kneeled down in a bow. They then stood up and started laughing.
“Just kidding.” said the male, the other was female.
“Hi, I’m Eldred, and this is Lora.” said the male, and pointing to the female. “You probably don’t know this, but we’re elves. Yeah, that’s right. Elves.” said Eldred, crossing his arms and nodding his head as if trying to impress someone.
“Oh my god, elves actually exist? Oh, that sounded rude, I’m sorry. I come from a different time than you, my parents were killed by Zexlar.” I said, blushing.
“Oh, you poor thing.” said Lora. “But don’t feel down, Eldred, Satra, and I had families that were slaughtered by Zexlar, too. We can cheer you up, us three are pretty good friends to have, you can lean on our shoulders whenever you need. Now let’s go have some fun.”
“Not so fast, Brendona has some training to do.” The man had come in then.
“Oh, hey Elidyr. Didn’t see you come in.”said Satra.
So that’s his name.
“Come on Brenonda, you must prepare. We only have so much time to do so much.” said Elidyr.
Elidyr led me along a path for a while until we came to a clearing. In the clearing there was a big Willow tree. Under the tree sat three people. As we approached, they looked straight at me, imagine creepy. We stopped right in front of them.
“Elidyr, is this her? She looks nothing like a master of the ancient magicks.” said the one in the middle.
“Theodwin, my friend, this girl is the reincarnation of Darlex. Brenonda is more powerful than her, actually. I can tell, we just have to awaken her true strength.”
“How do we do that in two weeks Elidyr?” said another, this one on the right. He and Theodwin exchanged glances.
“Sylvar, we are also masters, are we not?” responded Elidyr.
“Well it took Darlex twenty years to awaken her true strength.”said the third.
“We can do this.” Elidyr said, giving each of them a stare that would’ve cut through the strongest metal. “That all? Good. Great. Dandy. Let’s begin.” He added cheerfully.
The four of them turned and instructed me to sit. I sat. To close my eyes. They were sealed. Then to imagine what I did with the lightning and point my hands straight forward. I did that. My hands got warm. I quickly opened my eyes just in time to see a few sparks of blue light sprinkle from the palm of my hands and singe the ground. They looked impressed enough. They turned to each other and conversed quietly to which I couldn’t hear. The session went on like this for several hours and eventually I just got light headed and passed out.
I awoke on a comfy bed in a room with wooden walls. I sat up and realized what a struggle it was. Ahead of me Lora, Satra, and Eldred stood up from some chairs and hurried over.
“Gese” Eldred said,“I’ve never seen Elidyr work so hard on anyone before, especially not on their first day. I’m surprised you lasted that long. Your magick energy is just completely drained.”
I forced words out, “Magick… Energy?”
“When you are using magick, you use something called Magick Energy. Magick Energy feeds off of your living energy when it gets too low, that is why you passed out. Even now, I’m surprised you are still awake now.” said Eldred.
“Oh.” I said. If you could imagine dying, then coming back all of a sudden after thirty thousand years, that was how I felt right now.
“Well, you need some rest. We do, too. So we will leave you now.”said Lora.
“See ya later.” said Satra.
“Bye.” I said, and they were gone.
The next I woke up was a little more rough. I was shaken awake and told I had been asleep for a whole day. I opened my eyes and saw Elidyr standing above me.
“Get up.” He said sternly.
I got up and stood, wobbling, looking at him. I did my best to keep a straight face, but it was really hard to even look him in the eye after being asleep for so long, and with how scary the face he had on.
“For missing a whole day of training, I am really disappointed.” He said.
“I’m sorry Elidyr.” I said with a yawn. Talk about a mom-bomb.
For the next couple of days, training went on. Satra, Eldred, Lora, and I became closer and closer. If we all didn’t look so different, you woulda thought we were cousins or something. It really helped though to, like Lora said, have a shoulder to lean on. We all had so much more in common than we thought.
When the time came, I was ready. You could tell everyone thought so too by the expressions on their faces. I had learned so much, but Elidyr and his negative attitude said I had not awoken my inner strength yet.
“When the time comes,” he said, “You’ll know when you have.”
We left the sacred village of Everton to go resurrect the dragon. When I say we, I mean Satra, Lora, Eldred, myself, Elidyr, and an entire army of Elves behind us.
We got to the volcano in a matter of an hour. We hiked to the top and sat around the edge. It was so dark up here that I couldn’t see anyone around me except Elidyr on the very edge down below about thirty feet above the gurgling lava. Knowing what was coming, I had a bit of deja vu…
I looked down from my spot behind the boulder. Elidyr stood there, hands out, shouting an incantation. I stood there watching for what felt like hours, waiting to see what happened.
After a while I noticed something different about the gurgling lava, something was emerging. What seemed like a big glowing bubble turned out to be something that looked as if sent from the demons in Hell themselves rose a horrific beast. It was blood red, with wings smooth as silk. It had extraordinarily sharp and glistening black talons, but the most terrifying feature, was its eyes. They were a radiant white, and seemed to stare right into your very mind. The dragon had an incredibly long tail, and small spikes along his spine from tip of the tail to the back of its head. I stared in mortal fear of the thing.
“Dragon! We call you to this world to aid us in our time of need. Do you accept?” shouted Elidyr.
“What is the task at hand?” said a booming voice that pierced the air.
“We cry for you to help us destroy the darkness that is Zexlar. He is threatening to take over this land.” replied Elidyr.
“Very well. I shall help in one way and on one condition.”said the dragon.
“Whatever you need is yours.” said Elidyr.
“I want to see the girl.” said the dragon.
My heart froze with fear. Dear god, that girl isn’t me. Is it?
“Very well.”said Elidyr, “Brenonda! Come out!”
Aww, come on.
I stepped out from behind the boulder and walked down to stand next to Elidyr. I did my best to hide my fear.
“So you are the reincarnation of Darlex. I’ve been expecting you for quite some time.” said the dragon.
“I am.” was all I could say.
“You have learned magic, yes?” he asked
“I have, thanks to Elidyr.” I replied.
“Good. Elidyr, I will help you by destroying the magic barrier.” said the dragon, “You know which one.” he added, and the dragon flew off to do so.
“Brenonda, it is time to fight. We must go.” said Elidyr, turning to me.
A war horn sounded and I heard shouts of men off in the distance. We went to join them again and the march was on. We marched for hours and hours. Across fields and up hills. Through thick forests until we came to another field, this one all hard packed sand, dirt, and rock. Up ahead I saw a large dark blotch of the other army. A war horn sounded again, except this time a lower note responded.
Then, chaos erupted and side went after side. right away a sword flew into the air along with countless arrows. I rushed on and used lightning, it had gotten way stronger since the last time. I pushed into a group of people and used decackarich. I also learned a few others that turned people inside out, turned them into butterflies. I even learned the time spell and sent them to fight dinosaurs as they ran at me.
After about three hours of endless fighting, I was soon reunited with Lora, Satra, and Eldred who had ran off about an hour before to back up someone being overtaken by five others. We kept fighting and fighting. We fought until I felt weak. Lora, Satra, and Eldred backed me up though, at least… Until they stopped short, and stood there wide eyed. I asked them what was the matter and they pointed to a dark shape rushing at us.
“Zexlar” I said.
We turned and ran. We ran and got followed by not only Zexlar but two of his minions. Lora and Eldred split off to get rid of them, but Satra stayed with me because I was getting weaker by the second. We pressed on though, and Lora and Eldred caught up. Zexlar had caught up a little, too. I was scared and weak, but had an idea that I knew would not please them. I pushed them ahead, said the portal spell, and pushed them in, teleporting them back to the battle. I didn’t make it however. That last spell drained me clean, and I collapsed. Eldred, Lora, and Satra tried running back. I closed the portal with a zing before they made it through.
Zexlar was happy though, I saw it under the darkness. He raised his hands, and I was zapped in the chest with two million volts of electricity. I was happy, too. I am being reunited with my parents and my friends are safe, I can be sure of that because as I died I saw a great red sword flash through Zexlar’s heart and a flash of an orange and black robe. My friends might be sad, but they are alive and will move on. They will make new friends, but for now… There will be grief.

“I can’t believe she did that” said Eldred.
The three of them, Lora, Satra, and Eldred were sitting where they all had first met Brenonda.
“I know, it was just…”Lora didn’t finish because she had started crying then. Satra comforted her.
It has been four hours since they won the battle. They didn’t lose many, but the news of Brenonda spread drastically. They all moved on already though, except for Satra, Lora, and Eldred. They vowed to avenge her in some sort of way way, since Zexlar was already dead. Eldred came up with an excellent idea. He conversed with Lora and Satra, and they loved the idea. So Eldred sat down with Lora and Satra in the village of Everton and started writing her legend…
She looked down from her hiding spot behind the boulder, and there he was, at the mouth of the volcano. He was dressed in a black and flame orange robe, and had the eye of a mad man. He stood there, hands out, shouting what seemed like an incantation. Brenonda stood there watching for what felt to her like hours, waiting to see what happened.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.