A Girl's goodbye | Teen Ink

A Girl's goodbye

By ScaleyQueen BRONZE, Denton, Maryland
ScaleyQueen BRONZE, Denton, Maryland

A little violent

The girl woke up in a hospital room. Her head pulsed with pain. A nurse stood by her playing a crossword puzzle. Slowly she started to remember the night before, or was it nights before by now? The memory of her sister underneath her body, yelping like a kicked animal. the feeling of her fist against her victim's face. her parents trying to pull their daughters apart. Her father pushing her and her head making contact with the table behind her, knocking her out. That, she knew instantly, is what brought her here. She raised her hand and tried to touch her head, But her hand was much heavier than she thought.
    “Oh you’re awake” said the nurse. she put down her crossword and picked up a clipboard and pen. “How do you feel?”
“Grrrg” came out of the girls mouth, followed by a series of coughing and hacking.
“I feel fine now” she lied.She was used to lying about her condition to many doctors, before. the nurse seemed to believe it and went out to what she assumed to get the doctor. Minutes Later a man in a sweater arrived. He had pale skin, circular glasses, and his head was completely bald. She knew this man was a therapist of some sort.
“Hello Anna” he said smiling wide. “How are you feeling today?”
“Alright” she answered which by now was actually true.
“Well from what I have heard you've been having some troubles at home, is that true?”
“Um yes?” she answered after a minute long silence.
“ Yes, has this sort of thing happened before?”
“Yes,.....,but not to this extent”
“Can you tell me how this started?”
“I…” her mouth refused to let her words out “I t-t-think so” The man crossed his legs and waited. Anna tried to get her words out but it felt like cotton worms were in her throat. But finally she opened her lips, but instead of words, from her mouth came a scream. Anna did not know why she started to scream but she did. She saw the man call in nurses. The nurses struggled to restrain her and put what she assumed was a needle in her neck. After a minute or two she finally succumbed to the sedation she was given.
“Anna” said a familiar voice “baby are you awake?” Anna opened her eyes to see her mother standing there. she could clearly see the bags under her eyes and the tear stains on her face.”Oh thank god you’re awake” at that, her siblings came through the door along with her father. she instantly became annoyed.
“How do you feel?” said her brother unable to stand still.
“Dandy doodle” Anna joked trying to keep his conversation short and lighthearted. She looked over at her sister and could see the effects of her recent outburst. her eyes were swollen and she stood slumped over, as if trying to avoid attention. Anna smiled on the inside seeing she had finally put her in her place, followed by a bit of guilt.
“Where am I right now?” she said. her parents looked at each other nervously.
“The doctor told us not to tell you yet”, her father answered sternly.
“I can hear a woman down the hall talking about voices dad” she spoke through gritted teeth ”I know I'm in a psych ward”
“Well if you know then why did you ask?” Her sister boldly spoke up. Anna looked her dead in the eye. She only stood up straighter.
“Don't try anything stupid, girl” her father nearly screamed “you already cost us too much money and now you're trying to hurt your sister again?”
“She's not worth my time right now” Anna responded numbly. “plus the first time she had it coming”
“ Why, because she spoke her opinion?”
“No, because she said something she should have kept to herself and I wasn't going to let her get away with it like you do!” Anna felt a bitter tear fall from her eye
“she was speaking the truth just like you do” her mother retorted
“I ONLY JOKE ON THINGS THAT ARE OK NOT MAJOR!” Anna sat up out of the bed and bared her teeth, she could feel the familiar heat of anger in her chest boiling in her lungs.
“don't you dare talk to your mother like that” her father spat grabbing her by her collar.
“Why? i'm only speaking the truth!” she responded back. then she felt her face sting, her father had hit her.
“I’ll kill you” Anna mumbled
“what was that?” her father growled
“I’LL KILL YOU!!” she lunged at her aggressor and bit as hard as she could on his shoulder. A nurse bursted in and barked orders at her visitors and other nurses. The pain of a needle was felt in her neck but it did nothing. She felt many others too, but what finally stopped her was when two hit her at once and shocked her. she fell on her back and yelled,  the darkness came again. When she came to she could see a box of candy on the dresser beside her and a mirror. She wondered if that was always there. She stood up, and clumsily made her way over to it. she looked at herself inside. She saw that her light brown and red hair were still there. and her tan skin seemed clearer than before. She turned to the side and  tightened her gown. her stomach, sadly, had stayed the same size. Anna then looked around the room and saw her messy bed and the brick white walls and the vent leading outside. “I gotta get out of here” she said to herself. A tiny window was to her left, she looked through it and saw a highway a ways away. she laid in her bed and started to sob, Though she did not feel anything.
When Anna woke up the sun was down and her lights off. she tried to sit up but could not move, she could not open her mouth or close her eyes either. Her immediate thought was sleep paralysis, this had happened often at home but she could usually close her eyes. a shape appeared in the corner of her room. Anna could not look away as it stepped towards her . the shape was suddenly lit up by a mysterious source of light. It was a man. tall and very muscular. He had light brown skin and ebony dreadlocks. he took his time getting to her and sat down on her bed, laid his hand on her stomach and looked directly into her eyes. Anna's heart raced, . the fear of being hurt blared in her head but the man did nothing. Just keped his hand where it was. After what seemed like an eternity someone caressed Anna’s face. the hands were covered in leather and felt wet. they turned her head up and pointed her in the direction of a woman's face. it looked just like her but skinnier. the woman bent down and whispered in her ear
“I am you, You are me” she sounded hurt. Anna heard a voice from where the man sat
“we are you’ you are us” she felt multiple hands on her stomach and voices surrounded her. coming from everywhere.
“you are us, we are you”
“Us you were, we you are” it became louder and louder Anna felt tears roll down her face
she shrieked suddenly, feeling hands go into her stomach. the pain she felt Radiated
with a harshly familiar sting. Her limbs, released from her nonexistent chains thrashed around and the pain disappeared along with her attackers. Anna stood and felt her skin boil, the air she breathed burned her lungs she bursted out of her room and screamed a beastly cry that should come out of no humans mouth. She sprinted down the hall and through the doors separating her from the lobby. She stopped and saw her family and five security guards
“FREEZE” one said, she could see the trembling men sweat. She could smell it in fact. she liked the feeling she got from the run. she was aware of every individual cell in her body. Anna quickly turned grabbed an iv drip stand and flung it at the guards. one shot at her and missed. The other officers ducked. She quickly ran through them and burst from the doors. She jumped over the police cab and ran with all her newfound might to the highway she saw in her window. ‘Freedom’ she thought she felt the grass turn to concrete under her feet.
“Yes” she whispered to herself and skidded to a halt, she felt the cold wind on her skin and heard the cars honking while they drove by. She had made it out. But she heard something urgent now, honking from something big. she turned and saw a large cargo truck, heading toward her full speed. Her legs twitched and her heart sped up again but she did not move. The truck hit her.

“Well sir?” a voice asked. A young man stood up and looked away from the large monitor, his dark hair bushy and his eyes sunken in. He had watched this young girl get run over and saw her soul leave her body, it was clear she was done with that world
"I think” he hesitated "I think she's-”
“The one?” the original voice asked “but kazi-I mean did you see what she just did? She attacked innocents sir. That's not what we need right now!”
“Chirin” kazi started “she was scared and put into an unknown environment. and did you see her dream?”
“Yes sir but -”
“No butts, once her soul arrives here you'll see”
“ She's too dangerous, too aggressive” chirin said annoyed
“So were you when you first got here” kazi smirked and left the room. Chirin looked at the monitor and saw the girl's soul being sent through purgatory and felt a sting in her heart. She shook her head and turned it off.
"I hope he's right” she said to herself as she shut the door behind her leaving the room in complete darkness.