The Islands in the Sky | Teen Ink

The Islands in the Sky

March 14, 2016
By Rellacrystal, Newtown, Connecticut
More by this author
Rellacrystal, Newtown, Connecticut
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In the middle of this solemn, gut-punch of an experience, a 13-year-old girl who hardly looks over the age of ten stood up and said, 'Cancer sucks. And I know there’s not a cure, but what we’re doing here, having so much fun and making all these friends, seems to beat it to me.'"


Author's note:

I hope readers go out to find their dreams too. Who knows? Yours could be around the corner...

"I assume you all know why we've gathered here today," Arcus said loudly, his long, slender body pacing about the circular meeting room. "It has been confirmed that the enemy is upon us. Their ships have invaded our atmosphere. They sky has gone complete orange and the air has grown toxic. We are running out of time."

The courtroom was filled with hush whispers.

He paused, waiting for the side-talk to tone down. When he regained undivided attention, he took a moment to remove his circular bifocals with his pale, bony hands. He stopped, looking as if in a daze. He was known to be of the serious type, but the thought of  devastation and destruction could overwhelm anyone. He looked up at the other members of the court, fidgeting in his silky beige suit vest.

"What shall we do, Yona?"

Arcus gazed up at the giant. She was old, but her skin showed little age. Her long silver hair sprawled on the desktop, and her four, light blue arms fell over the edge. "I must choose a being from another system," she replied, her voice filling the silence that had bestowed itself upon the rest of the court. "A savior. The Destined One. We have no choice. The Infinitum are near."

The room was filled again by the members' subtle chatter. The Destined One? Is now more important than ever?

Yona extended all four of her hands to the middle of the circular array of plump men, sitting squat and toO afraid to speak. Like magic, a soft blue orb began to form in the giant woman's smooth hands. The image of a terrestrial planet began to form in front of the Comittee.

"Earth," a court member breathed.

the image of Earth faded as the orb began to grow black. Soon, the color of light flesh could be seen. A nose. An ear. A mouth. Red, thin-framed ovular glasses over a pair  large brown eyes. A shiny side-swept bang held up by a peach-colored headband.

the figure of an adolescent human girl.

 

"Are you sure this is the one?" Arcus asked skeptically and anxiously.

"I am certain," Yona replied.

the orb dissipated into sparks as the Court was adjourned.

CALLIE HAD A very wholesome library, with books of varying genres spread out across the giant room. It was her sanctuary, where she went instead of the endless amount of friends you’d expect her to have. why not? She was a smart, pretty, comedic girl who always thought of others. But no. People were too busy being jealous of her extreme wealth to even bother to talk to her. She found this to be quite contradictory to the normal lifestyle of the rich.

So very often she would find herself alone in school.

But the library made up for it. The library, and her cat, Truffle, were always there to meet her at the end of the day while her father worked at his giant office building in the city.
When Callie’s father first built the library for her, she made an alliance with it: it would be her place for tranquility, not for wallowing and perishing in a woeful, hysterical pit of emotion. This was because of her loneliness at school; it caused her to often get upset. But she wanted to be better than that.
But otherwise, the library was home. Not like she needed it, though; Callie wouldn’t have minded walking to the library all the time, and then sitting in the park with stacks of books around her. She often pertained to a life of humility anyway. But her father insisted. “this way, you’ll have the luxuries of two places at once!” he told her when the landscapers had finally finished the humongous garden of the Dilington’s backyard.
Now, as a result of reading so many books, Callie became very knowledgeable and full of imagination. She left the “imagination” of hers to remain at the giant estate she lived in and anonymous at school, but she would often hear children whispering about that she read a dictionary, which explained her extended vocabulary and lengthy answers to a teacher’s question.
But when she returned home at the end of every school day, she pertained to her right-side brain and became the protector of multiple worlds. She was the most skilled warrior and the strongest heroine in the realm. Truffle was her right hand and they lived in a gigantic marble palace that floated atop an island in the sky, which rested in a whole community of sky islands (skylands, she called them, like the video game). The island was a raised chunk of earth that was easy to reach, but only with a very, very long stepladder. But once at the the top, the palace was the most beautiful building on this side of her imagination.
Until dinner, anyway, when she had to put away her wooden sword and stuffed unicorn. She was starting to get too old for a world of dungeons, dragons, and magic, but she always detested the thought and disregarded it.

As a result of reading so many books and playing pretend so often, her dreams were also often lost in a place of fantasy. For some reason, though, there was always a soothing woman’s voice right before her dream would end. The voice would tell her a message, and then fade right before she woke up. Then, the voice’s saying would coincide with something that had to do with her day. Callie became more aware of this, as it had been happening for several months. The next night, before bed, she decided to try lucid dreaming to see if she could understand the voice better. After watching several tutorials on YouTube, she decided to give it a try.
She fell asleep five minutes later. So much for that.
Soon, the voice came to her. “My child,” it always referred to her as.
“Hello, my child,” the mysterious woman’s voice boomed, but it did not frighten Callie. “Be wary of this message. Soon, your dreams will become reality. But be cautious: you will find that things may not be the way they are through your beliefs. Go now, child, go to your window, and look up.”
Callie snapped awake, her forehead mysteriously beaded with sweat.
What just happened?
Remembering the message, she leaped out of bed, startling Truffle, and leaned out of her large window, scramble to the balcony her father had implanted years before.
Sure enough, a large piece of earth sat in her view of sight, blocking out a chunk of the full moon. She gasped with ecstasy and fear. What did this mean?
She couldn’t connect the dots, but one thing was certain: “The islands in the sky are real.” she breathed.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.