Chemical Numbers | Teen Ink

Chemical Numbers

By Indigo_Night, Aurora, Colorado
Indigo_Night, Aurora, Colorado

Summary:

What if death didn't apply to you?                 

What if you could have infinite second chances at life?         

That's what the Numbers seem to have, endless chances at life. They are mutants who come back to life every time they die. But, with the Numbers System in place, their chances of survival are zero. All Numbers are forced to live in the containment city of Manhattan where they work in factories and live in squalor. The Number System requires them to be tagged with numbers on their necks that drop as fifty more Numbers are executed each week using the chemical Agent-10, a chemical that strips Numbers of they're regenerative abilities and allows them to die.            

Indie Caserento is a seventeen year old Number living with her sister, Adrian, in Manhattan. Working for a band of thieves has made them wealthier than most Numbers, but still on a count down to their deaths. They think they have a few more years left until their numbers are up, but when Adrian steals from the Monitors both of their numbers are dropped to zero. Their deaths seem  imminent until the government makes them an offer. An offer that could change the course of history.

Elizabeth M.

Chemical Numbers