Future Pains | Teen Ink

Future Pains

By TheDoctor122, WEST PALM BEACH, Florida
TheDoctor122, WEST PALM BEACH, Florida

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey -David Tennant, (10th Doctor from doctor who)

Author's note:

I was inspired by my own classmates, my great friends Trevor, Pharell, and David. Also my great friends Liam and Bob, along with many others. You guys are great friends. May the Future smile on you :)

The last government ship exploded over the horizon, the only thought in my mind as my T-77 combat
ship engines cooled down was simple. “Wait a second, that explosion is getting awfully close...Ah!”
Whoa whoa whoa, how 'bout we start from the beginning. It all started when I was about eleven years old, and I was walking home from school one day when I happened upon a particularly peculiar man. He was acting very strange, paying the closest attention to every detail, breathing very heavy. His breathing was as if he was trying to suck something more from the air, like something was missing......  
At first I thought he was another homeless man, his clothes in tatters, his strange behavior, almost as if he was another man who spent all the money he earned begging on drugs and alcohol. I tried my best to
avoid him as I walked, but then it happened......

The man ran toward me, and in one swift motion, grabbed me and injected me with a yellow liquid, all the while yelling “One day you will understand, and you will save me! Save us from burning, save us!”
That day changed my life forever, it was the spark of rebellion, though I didn't have a clue what big of a role I would play. Hi, my name is John Smith, and I'm a time traveler. I grew up in a small town in the country side of New York.  I never forgot the day I got injected by whatever in God's name was in that needle. The doctors were stumped, having no idea what was in it. They always had assumptions though. First they thought it was steroids, because I had sudden burst of strength, but the strength never wore off over the years. Then, they thought it was just a needle full of different proteins, but they proved that wrong too. In the end, doctors just gave up. It was more then just strength though, trying to explain it makes it seem like I've gone mad, but I feel connections. Connections to every living thing, every plant, every molecule, everything. Then it happened, the day I quantum jumped.”Oh great we're gonna be late again.” I said to Toby. “That's the third time this week.” He said back. “Um, John, looks  like Brock and his crew are patrolling the halls again.”  Toby said. “Great, just great.” I said. “Move out the way, dorks!” said Brock, walking down the hall towards me. He was a tall, and pudgy kid, with muscles a bit too big for his age. His breath constantly smelled of cafeteria food, so almost an exact match to liver and onions. “Hey John, got any lunch money for me?” He said. I returned his question with the wittiest response I possibly could think of at the time, so not much. “Lunch money Brock? First off, I pack lunch, and second, that's the best you can think of?” I said. He didn't exactly find it that funny, and went for a swing at me. In an instance, I felt a sensation of heat, yet a great rush of cool. Sensations of pain and suffering, and joy and happiness. Tastes of dirt, and of milk and honey. The sensation of being stretched and pulled, and the taste of metal and sand. Finally, the world stretched and warped, and there I was.

I opened my eyes to the world around me, I realized I was in a giant clearing, with little to no trees. I was completely freaked out. “What just happened!” every single thought of what could have just happened escaped my mind, but I knew I had to do with whatever man had injected me with. I started walking towards the closest source of light, because it was pitch black dark wherever I was. As I approached it, I saw what the light was coming from. A bustling metropolis, completely light up, with the buildings at weird angles. I was surprised the most to see at first what I thought were animals, and then I saw them. Flying speeders, lighting up the night sky. It was then I knew were I was. The future.

I slowly approached the city, unsure of what would happen next. The thing I knew for sure was exactly how I got here. Whatever that liquid I was injected with had given me the power to travel through time, or I was just hit over the head very hard by Brock. I approached the city with my mouth wide open, paying close attention to every detail, and looking in awe at the speeders going overhead. “This place is.... epic!” “Except for the aliens, that one looks kinda like a deformed and run over cat choking on cabbage, and that one I'm pretty sure is just a squid wearing clothing.” I said to myself. “Move it kid! Don't you have scrap metal to be collecting?” One of them yelled at me. I pondered what he said for a while, but was quickly distracted by the guards, clad in a weird blue armor. They had cloaks that hung low across the wastes of each guard. “Move it kid! This is official New Galactic Government business!” He said, and kicked a hard jab at my left ribs. It knocked the breath out of me, but nothing was broken. I quickly ran up, and with a burst of strength, socked him straight in the jaw. I may have been only 16, but he went flying a good 2, maybe 4 inches off the ground. The others approached me, with what I could only assume were blasters. Suddenly I was grabbed from behind and rushed into a speeder by a mysterious man. “Who are you!?” I asked. “My name is Hugh,and I just saved your life, and you might just be useful enough to be worth it.” He said.  As his speeder approached the building in the distance, I knew that however I had got to the future, I had a heck of a lot of work ahead of me to get back to the present, if it wasn't too late already.

Chills went running down my spine as I passed through the mysterious blue gate, seeming to be made up of pure energy. I heard the whining of engines as the speeder slowed to a stop. Two guards approached me, and spoke in loud,booming voices. “State your name, show I.D and report those with you!” “Hugh Dogen, and I bring with me a kid by the name of John Smith, I think he could be a powerful asset.” Hugh said. “how can a kid the age of 16 be a 'powerful asset'?” The taller guard said. “Jet force 5” Hugh said. “I see... I guess you can go through, the Freedom Fighters than you.” The short, fatter guard said. “Whats Jet force 5, why am I here, I'm not even from this time!” I said. “Sure you are kid.” He said. We approached the center room, surrounded from every angle by men in strange wear. “Grandmaster Hugh, why have you brought us a child, you said the matter was urgent.” One of the older men said. “I have brought us a case 22.7, stranded time traveler, though he bears no marks of the Time Council.” Hugh said. As he spoke, many people around the room gasped. “What's that mean, who are you people, what is this place!” I said loudly. “Kid, you came here by means of quantum leap, the computer traces you back to 2015 New York. You are the last of your kind I'm afraid.” One of them said. “Of what kind?” I said back.”The Time Travelers, a group of councilmen created an underground laboratory and experimented with forces they could never have hoped to control, time energy itself. All of time concentrated in a little vial, and it would have been injected in millions, but my council and the Freedom Fighters stopped them. I don't know how you got the powers you have, but we need your help.” Hugh said. “No, I need to get back home, show me how!” I yelled. One of the men sighed. “Kid...that's the thing, nobody quantum leaps and makes it back, they cant cross their own streams.” Hugh said.

“No, no no no no no!” I need to get back,there.... there has got to be a way!” I started ranting. “I'm truly sorry kid, but the power you have, it also gives you strength and speed. That's why we need your help.”
One man said. “You saw how the New Galactic Government treats the people, that's why we fight, to free the people.” Hugh said. I thought long and hard about this. It was hard to come to terms with the fact I can never get back. I knew though, deep in my heart what the man meant when he injected me, I had to save this future. “I accept, what can I do to help?” Hugh smiled. “You have potential, but you're way to young and too important to lose, you're going to need a suit.” He said. “Uh uh, I cant run in armor.” I said. “This is Jet squad 5, the armor is infused with an alien alloy that makes it light as paper, and hold like spandex, while still being laser proof. It comes equipped with two plasma swords, two duel T-87 blasters and duel plasma shooters in the palms of the suit.” He said with a grin. As I walked into the second story chambers, I saw what I believed to be were my squad mates. One of them was a medium sized person, also of the age of 16, all of them were 16, and I found that oddly calming. The first one was of Hispanic descent, and was the first to speak. “Hi, my names David. These are the rest of Jet squad 5, David, Trevor, and Pharell.” He said. “Have you been assigned a color?” David said. “Hes gonna be Jet Squad Blue.” Hugh said. “Cool.” Trevor said. “I'm White, David is Pink, and Pharell is Green.” He said. Hugh led me to the armory, and instantly my eyes light up as I saw my suit. It was a chrome blue power suit. Equipped with duel light disks, duel plasma swords, blasters, and a jet pack, with duel repulse shooters in the glove palms. I was ready for whatever the Freedom Fighters had in store, and I was going to take down this empire. For my own future. Sirens started blaring loudly, and I knew I would get the chance to prove myself in this instance. I Hopped into the transport shuttle with my fellow troops. I was briefed on the mission at hand, how to use a jet pack and the enemy ships shield generator, and how to operate a T-77 combat ship. We took off and I saw the ships in the distance. Quickly we scrambled, and after a little while, I got the hand off my jet pack. I barely dodged a couple of ships and landed inside the Government ship's docking station. I was met with little opposition. I was given a quick jab to the chest with a plaster bolt, but retaliated with plasma shots. Using my plasma swords, I cut through the waves of enemies while David provided cover fire with a variety of deadly explosives. Pharell had my back as we made our way to the shield rooms. That's when it happened. A man, about the age of 30, wearing armor similar to ours, was waiting for us. He ran with speed and grace. I knew that we couldn't dodge him in the small space. I felt the energy flow through me and flipped Pharell over the mysterious enemy. I then ran towards him as Pharell attacked from behind, but the man parried our attacks with grace. He hit Pharell backwards, and was about to finish me, when David and Trevor came bursting in, guns blazing. It distracted the man for a fraction of a second, just enough time for me to grab him by the throat and jump backwards out the exhaust vent. He kicked me as I fell and I lost my grip.

The rest of my squad followed close by after David shut down the shields of the ship and The Freedom Fighters took the ship by siege. I knew as the mysterious man turned on his jet pack, I knew I couldn't catch him with my pack, so I shut my engines off completely. As I free fell several feet I grabbed onto his back-piece and shot several pulses into it. It briefly deactivated his jet pack, but I knew it would come back on soon. There was no way if that jet pack turned back on we would take him down, I knew what must be done, but I didn't like it. “David, shoot the ion pulse cannon!” I yelled. “That will kill you!” He yelled. “You don't have the guts! You were always weak.... Dad!” The mysterious man yelled.
I took the news like a jab to the gut, but I had a job to do, for my own future. “I may not have guts, but soon, neither will you!” I yelled. David looked away in horror, and fired the shot. I felt heat explode across my face. I instantly heard ringing in my ears, and went flying down to the ground at speeds too high to count. I impacted with the ground harder then I could ever imagine. I broke both my legs, and one arm. I felt pain surge throughout my body, questioning how I was still alive. My armor exploded off my body, and I crawled across the ground. I felt a cool feeling spread through my body, healing me, but slowly. I saw a helmet roll across the ground, but not just any helmet. The mysterious man's helmet, my son.... was dead. But strangely, I wasn't sad. I couldn't let my son be kill innocents, even if I didn't know them. I stood up slowly, laughing like I had never laughed before. I stood up, victorious, every inch of my body aching, but surviving. I survived. “Who's your daddy?!” I yelled while laughing. I saw my T-77 hover down to me, and I climbed in it. I flew back up, rejoining the fleet, taking out the last of the Government ships, and the last thing I though, as the last Government ship blew up over the horizon was, “wait a second, that explosion is getting awfully close.....Ah!

TO BE CONTINUED

TheDoctor122 said...
TheDoctor122, WEST PALM BEACH, Florida

thanks, im making a sequel, but its gonna be much longer and better

Guest 4422 said...
Great use of detail and imagery. Very much enjoyed this short story.