Little things in dark places | Teen Ink

Little things in dark places

By FeliciaRenae, overland park, Kansas
FeliciaRenae, Overland Park, Kansas

"the devil does not weep that is why i shall cry, because i am not the devil, and the devil is not i."

Monsters were something little girls dreamed about and looked under the bed for. My eyes shot open, so why was I still dreaming about those monsters. It was nearly eight in the morning and I was already out the front door hearing it smack against the hinges. I wasn’t sure why I actually cared about the endless hell hole of school. It was just school after all, why did I have to go? I groaned as I headed down the street. Walking….walking…yes I was walking. I didn’t have a car, hell; I didn’t even have a license. My feet hurt, mainly because I have horrible choice in shoes to wear when having to walk to school. Oi me. Cars sped past me as I continued to walk. I was already late because my stupid alarm clock didn’t wake me up. The breeze of the cool morning was nice; it almost felt better to be walking.
Except of course I was lugging around a huge backpack filled with text books and homework that I usually cram in at the last second. The dirt roads were peaceful in the morning, should I be walking faster? I chuckled at my own thoughts as I started to pick up the pace. My shoes shuffled in the dirt and I giggled at the sight of it. Did I really need to go to school? I sighed; grandma and grandpa want me to go. I swung open the heavy grey school door. My school had five floors and a population of 6000 students, it was an ugly brick building and each floor was painted a different color. I rolled my eyes before stepping into that red crowded hall way leading to te cafeteria. People were evenly divided among their personal groups. You have the table of stoners, which my old best friend Nick is sitting at. You had your group of gangster wannabes completed with sagging pants and an Italian player known as Michael. The only thing he had going for him was he was cute and could dance. He could have any girl he really wanted in bed with him that night, except me.
At the blue round table in the back left corner you had a group of jocks, they weren’t cute at all, or very smart for that matter. I called them the dogs, mainly because they chase every skirt and are always howling. In that giant completely filled table in the “VIP” section, the cheerleaders and their groupies all gossiped about what ever poor innocent girl had fallen into their web. Then of course, there was me. I wasn’t any of those groups, in fact, I had my own group. We sat directly in the center in the morning and during lunch. My best friend Crystal Lyner and her boyfriend Cole Henning sat inches apart wrapped around each other In a grossly cute way, Joshua Harver sat on the opposite side of them with his feet propped up on the table purposely blocking his view of the two love birds, Cynthia sat on the table criss crossed as she nearly put Joshua to sleep with her stories about band camp. And then there was my spot, wedged between Joshua and the love birds. “Hey, Amena!” I smile politely at them exhausted and out of breath from nearly sprinting up the stairs. “Hey guys.” I answered zoning out as Cynthia continues to go on and on about band camp. “You played the tuba, we get it.” Cole said slowly. Cynthia’s face went pink with embarrassment. I know she’s annoying but that’s not how you tell her to stop talking about band camp. “Cynthia, what Cole’s trying to say is, we know all about band camp you’ve told us several times, why not talk about something else for a change?” She nodded considerately and hopped down as the bell rang. Joshua locked arms with me as we watched Cynthia’s small frame disappear from our sight. “I feel bad that he said that….” Joshua chuckled. “Cole’s an ass.” I nodded in agreement. Cynthia was a pretty girl, she was no more than 5’1 with long ginger hair, and freckles ran across her nose and the top of her cheeks. She had green eyes that got lighter in the summer, and a very small petite body. Joshua nudged my side as we made it to English. “Sit with me there’s no way in hell I’m working with Weirdo Beardo.” Weirdo Beardo was this kid everyone avoided; he always had lice in his beard which he never trimmed styled or even cleaned. He was already going bald just like his father and he smelled of three year old bologna. “Alright, sounds good.” We sat in the second row of tables and bumped elbows. “Alright class, before we get started I’d like to introduce you to our new students.” Me and Joshua both shot up looking at the front of the room. We never got new students here; everyone here grew up in this town. Two guys stood at the front of the room next to Mr. Al.
One was taller than the other and more filled out but it was hard to make his face out through the heads of crowded students. “This is Tyrus and Tyson, I expect everyone to welcome them.” I swallowed, that was not going to happen anytime there was a boy in this school that Mindy hadn’t gotten her hands on she destroys anyone in her way. “Tyrus and Joshua please switch places, Joshua go sit with Tyson in the back please.” Joshua and I exchanged quick awkward glances as if saying well s*** at the same time. Tyrus moved his rather large figure into the seat next to me. His fingertips brushed mine sending shivers through my spine. I could actually see him now; he was probably the best looking guy I’d ever seen here. He had thick black hair that was slicked back and sexy, soft tan skin but not tan enough to mistake him as Hispanic, his eyes were a light blue so clear I could almost see through them, and his face could melt ice. I went pink quickly looking away considering the fact that I had been starring into his soul. Just like that class had started. “Ok so when you were all freshmen you learned about Romeo and Juliet, then when you were sophomore’s we watched Much Ado about nothing.”
He went on and on about the connections between the two and how Shakespeare used a sneaky trick to fake deaths. Just as I nearly passed out, Tyrus leaned over to say something. My nose caught his scent and I nearly melted into a puddle, he was so warm and inviting. “Not one for Shakespeare?” He asked curiously. I smiled. “Not one for Mr. Al.” He chuckled lightly and I swear I heard an angel it came from deep inside him and was low and smooth. “I don’t blame you.” Mr. Al started to explain the dynamics Shakespeare used to write his plays. “Honestly, how can he know the dynamics when no one living knew Shakespeare enough to tell anyone?” I puzzled this for a moment. “He doesn’t know the dynamics; Mr. Al just thinks he knows everything.” He chuckled once more and the pit of my stomach quivered. “I’m Amena.” “I’m Tyrus, but you may call me Ty.” I nodded feeling the heat in my cheeks.  The bell came alive with a loud and high pitched ring causing everyone in class to jolt alive. “Well I guess that’s all for today, no homework tonight.” I nodded and started to walk out the door in a hurry.  A hand looped around my arm. “So, I can’t believe we had to switch places.” Joshua complained in my ear. I tried to listen, I really did, but at the moment my mind shifted to mystery new guy. “What was Tyson like?” I said interrupting his rant. “Huh? Oh, new guys little brother, he’s quiet and awkward. I puzzled over the fact that Tyrus had even talked to me. “How about Tyson?” I swallowed. “Ty’s nice, he’s um…well he’s a little awkward but he’s friendly.”
He raised an eyebrow. “Ty? On nicknames already?” He teased and I nudged him in the gut. “Shut up, he told me to call him Ty.” He smiled. “Maybe he’s interested in you.” I laughed rudely. “Come on you know I don’t date. Plus once Mindy finds out he’s here she’ll nearly toss herself at him.” He chuckled. “Yea, but I doubt that will happen for a few hours.” We walked into my next hours seeing Mindy already on the new guy’s desk practically pushing her fake cleavage in his face. “You look Italian are you Italian?” He looked pale in the face and lost. “Or maybe it will happen right now.” I said laughing some. “I told you so.” He nudged me. “He doesn’t look interested by her, you should go say hi.” I glared into his soul. “Not happening.” He chuckled. “Why not?”
We sat down slowly as Ty’s eyes caught mine and I starred for a minute. Who knew so many things could be said with your eyes. I hated science and I unfortunately had to sit in that class for 90 minutes. “Hey what did you get for number four?” Joshua said close to my ear. “Sodium Nitrate.” I answered quietly. “Thanks.” Something inside of me shifted and those gentle tingles crept through my veins. I turned around to meet his eyes. He moved seats and was sitting right behind me. Great here came the tingles again. For crying out loud could someone stop the damn tingles? Joshua nudged me again. “Hey, your boyfriend is practically breathing down your neck.” I quietly giggled. “He’s not my boyfriend…and no he’s not.”
I turned to meet his eyes once more, so soft and blue starring straight into me. Is it weird that part of me felt like I knew him? Somewhere deep down his face was so familiar, as if I’ve known him all my life. I shook those thoughts away and continued to work up to the bell. I was ready to jump out the door with Joshua until a hand reached out and grabbed my arm. “Hey, want to walk to lunch together?” A soft voice whispered to me. I turned and two brown eyebrows pushed together above those dangerous eyes. “What do you want from me?” I finally asked him. “What?” He asked. I realized I’d been seeing things and it was Joshua who was talking to me. I blinked several times looking around. “Nothing, yea let’s go.” I shivered some, what was going on with me?
“I can’t believe this…” Joshua said angrily as we entered the cafeteria, I followed his line of sight until my eyes landed on Cynthia and Tyson. Not only were they both starring at each other like nothing in the world could separate them, but they were nearly in each other’s laps. “What is happening at this school?” I asked confused, I couldn’t really be mad at Cynthia, I had a feeling we were going through the same thing only I have more self-control. Joshua glared at Tyson, it seemed like Joshua was tense ever since they showed up at this school. “Why do you dislike them so much anyways?” I asked blocking his view of his girlfriend….ex-girlfriend. “I just do!” He answered plopping down at our normal table in front of Crystal and Cole. “Hey guys…what’s up with the two love birds?” I shook my head. “Shh, don’t bring it up.” I tossed my head in Joshua’s direction.
She nodded understanding me. “What’s up with these new kids? No one will tell me anything.” My body tensed as I felt eyes on my back. I turned my head seeing none other than Tyrus starring in my direction as Crystal caught my drift. “Lonely eyes are starring at you.” She said with almost a snarl in her voice. “So…” I said trying to change the subject.  “How was first hour?” I asked Crystal. She completely avoided the question and asked one of her own. “Are you doing ok Amena?” I swallowed. “I’m fine why?” She shrugged. “No reason….” They weren’t telling me something. “What’s going on? You guys are being so secretive today.” They all gave me a nervous glance. “Seriously….” Joshua put his hand down on the table. “She deserves to know.” I swallowed. “Deserves to know what?” Crystal sighed. “Nothing….” Her eyes kept going behind me glancing at Tyrus who was still burning a hole in my back.
“Crystal, you’ve been my best friend since kindergarten, what’s wrong?” She went pale. “We’ll talk later.” I huffed, beginning to get annoyed. “Fine.” I got up from the table and walked out the big heavy blue doors. Someone was following after me but I didn’t care enough to look back. Why were my best friends hiding things from me, why couldn’t they be honest? Was it me, did I do something? Did they want me to leave? A tear slipped down my cheek and I wiped it off with the back of my sleeve exiting the building. Forget school, forget friends, and forget everything. I jogged up the hill headed straight for the woods. The woods were the only place I could be alone, the only place I could think, and the woods were the only home I’ve ever known. I sobbed. Why was I crying? A few more tears streamed down my face. I was showing weakness…I’ve never shown weakness. “Amena.” Someone said my name? A hand reached out around my wrist and pulled be into the light. “Amena…are you crazy?” Those eyes starred into mine. “No, you’re not really there, I keep seeing you, I’m crazy.” A soft chuckle was now in his voice. “You’re not crazy sweetie, you see me because I want you to see me.” I was so confused. What was going on why did he want me to see him? What were Crystal and Cole hiding from me? What was going on with Cynthia and Tyson? “I have so many questions...” I whined against his solid chest. His arms wrapped around me and pulled me closer, I know you do. I was sobbing, no not sobbing, I was crying and balling. “I’m so sorry Amena.” His voice purred into my ears. The woods felt like they were closing in and I felt like I was going to die. “I’m so sorry I ever did that to you Amena.” Did what to me? “what did you do to me?” I started to panic now, was he some sort of killer and slipped me some drugs so I could be his next victim? I started to pull away but his arms only pulled me closer. “No…it’s not what you think.” He whispered. “We need to talk.” I swallowed roughly and looked up at him. “Need to talk about what?” He smiled some. “Your mine.” I laughed rudely. “I’m not a piece of property Ty.” He smiled bigger. “I’m yours as well.” I laughed again. “If your jokes are supposed to make me laugh you need to work on them.” His lips crashed against mine so warm and inviting, fire started building up between us. Oh god what was he. I didn’t pull away but moved my lips against his. I started to see things, his world, his memories, things he sees through his own eyes. That’s when the silence started, this man was death, evil, a monster. I shoved him away from me. “Who are you!?” I shouted. “I’m Tyrus a nineteen hundred year old hybrid, and you’re my mate.”