The Olympian Chronicles: Maximus | Teen Ink

The Olympian Chronicles: Maximus

February 16, 2015
By Olympian, Modesto, California
More by this author
Olympian, Modesto, California
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
You only have the present moment; take advantage of it.


Wind gently blew through the trees, making music only a hunter could know and love. The scene: a clearing in a forest. The location: east of Edhessa.
  I love this sound…especially when I am impatient. That was the thought of a young woman who stood in the clearing. She was waiting…but for what? My friends should have been here by the highest height of the sun. And here I stand, two hours past that, and they still are not here.
Suddenly, the woman detected movement in the bush beside her. She pretended not to notice, and then…
“There you are.” she said.
“Ouch! Artemis, you’re pulling on my hair!”
It was one of the maidens. Artemis let go.
“Where are the others?” asked Artemis.
“They were going to come too…but something happened…” the maiden hesitated. Artemis grew irritated.
“I have been waiting for two hours for you all to come. Now, Sheila, tell me where the others are.”
“They…we…I’m sorry!” And Sheila burst into tears. Artemis was dumbfounded. Why was Sheila reluctant to tell Artemis about her friends?
“What happened?”
Artemis knew that the maidens she befriended could not stay so forever. In their culture, a virgin was considered the very thing that made a man a man and was married off as quickly as possible. She feared that the worst had come, but dared to hope not.
“They did not come because…because…they are no longer maidens.” Sheila blurted out.
Artemis was struck hard.
“How? What happened?”
“Most of them were married recently and told me yesterday that they could never see you again... The others who weren’t married…they were…”
“Impossible! Who would do such a thing to a woman against her will?”
“I could never know, Artemis. All I know is that I am the last maiden, and will not be tomorrow, as my parents have decided. I will be married later today.”
Artemis could only watch as her closest mortal friend ran into the woods, sobbing. She had known that men were cruel, but this made her hate them even more. She turned to walk away.
How could man be so evil? Artemis asked herself. Women deserve far better than what they are treated like! She actually made a mental note to kill the men in the vicinity when she saw that Sheila came back.
“I’m sorry Artemis…I’m just sad that I’ll never see you again.”
“I understand…” Artemis replied, though she really didn’t.
“I’m glad…” said Sheila. “But you are shaken. Speak your mind.”
Artemis hesitated, then spoke with her voice wavering.
“What will I do? I lost my closest friends, the only mortals that I ever bonded with, and now I don’t know where to go…"
“Perhaps you could go to that country to the west. What was it called…Oh!  America?”
Artemis spun around. She heard of that place before as the “land of opportunity”, as well as the land with freedom of choice, but knew that there were high crime rates there. This came as a big red flag to Artemis.
“How could I go there? There are no forests for me to hunt there.” Artemis challenged. She heard a lot from her father about that country, and was reluctant to go there.
“From what I have heard, yes there are. They just aren’t common like they are here.” Sheila replied.
Artemis was not going to drop her argument so quickly.
“There are more people who do evil things there than that in the rest of the world. For what reason would I go there? They are called a “superpower” that nearly fueled the destruction of the planet with a 9-foot machine!” She added darkly.
Sheila shrugged.
“There’s evil everywhere, Artemis.  What do you mean by trying to stay where the evil is more diverse? Africa is gaining in homosexuals. War happens there and in Israel. There are murderers everywhere. What’s the point in staying in the same place forever?” she countered gently.
Artemis knew she was beaten and would not show failure, but dignity.
“Then I suppose that I should at least observe the country.”
“Good choice. And…Artemis?”
“Yes, Sheila?”
“Will you do something for me?”
“What is your request?” Artemis conceded.
Sheila pulled a necklace from her neck—an amulet, really—and handed it to Artemis.
“My request is that you wear this. It’s been a family heirloom for centuries.”
The amulet was beautiful. A gold plate with a diamond in the center, though this diamond was shaped like a symbolic heart. What a strange amulet, thought Artemis as she accepted it and put it on.
“Now you must go, Sheila.”
“Yes Artemis…”
And just like that, a close friend walked away. Oh Artemis, thought Sheila, I hope that you understand the power behind the diamond on that amulet!
Artemis then traveled with her incredible goddess speed across the land and over the sea, to the place called America. When she arrived, she saw the industries immediately and avoided them. After searching for a while, she found a big forest that appeared secluded. In that forest, she hunted and found the forest just like the one she enjoyed before.
Later that evening, she pondered over her amulet. She sensed a power within the diamond and knew that it was no ordinary diamond. Could it be? thought Artemis sleepily. If it is, then who is the One? and fell asleep high in a tree.
When she woke up, however, she found something unexpected…

Now, for the rest of the story, I must switch to a new character named Maximus.
Maximus was different from most, and was of Greek descent. The best way to describe him is a man who talks sophisticated but sometimes thinks no better than a teenager. He, of course, had his good points.
As a boy, he loved the outdoors and was constantly off on some wildlife adventure or another. His parents hated his love for nature and tried to beat it out of him with school and chores. This, of course, failed. Maximus left his work undone and went out on even longer trips than before!
Persisting, his parents took on another strategy. For his 18th birthday, they had arranged him with a blind date that went horrible for him, the girl, and the boy on the bicycle. More dates were arranged. In just a few years, Maximus technically “dated” over 100 girls. Even threats of marriage were made by his parents. Little did they realize that Maximus had a plan up his sleeve…
He had resolved on his 25th birthday to run away and live in the nearby forest. With a determined mind, he commenced to do so…
Finally, I got away from that miserable house! thought Maximus. I can now live among the wildlife…but I am tired… And thus, he sat by a tree trunk and fell asleep, for his runaway trip happened at about midnight. And it so happened that the tree he slept by was the tree that Artemis slept in. When she awakened and looked down, she was flabbergasted.
A man! In the forest! What am I to do? thought Artemis. Alright…I’ll surprise him. Maybe my vengeance will begin with him.
With that, she climbed down the tree and called on a group of hounds. When they arrived, they surrounded the man and waited, while Artemis hid behind a tree. When Maximus finally awoke, about three hours later, how shocked he was to be surrounded by hounds!
Holy *&%#! Hounds! I’d better stay calm…
But it was futile. Scared, he stood up and whispered to himself that he would do his Savior’s bidding if he were to be rescued from this situation. Hearing him, Artemis decided to reveal herself. So out of her hiding she came, arrow in her bow.
Seeing her, Maximus quietly spoke:
“Who are you?”
“Who are you, mortal?”
At once, Maximus realized who she was.
“Artemis, have mercy please!” Maximus begged.
“How do you know my name?” demanded Artemis.
“I have heard of you. I researched you…and I have to admit, you’re more beautiful than the Internet could picture.”
Artemis had no idea what he meant by “internet” but assumed that it was like a book. She decided to ignore it.
“You should not be in this forest. I hunt here now.”
“Yeah, yeah! Absolutely.” said Maximus, lost on Artemis’s beauty.
“Mortal, if I ever see you again you may be sure that your heart will be pierced.”
“O-kuh…WHAT?!? But…” Maximus stammered. He had finally registered Artemis’s words, and did not like them one bit.
“I love wildlife. I want to live here. I love this place, even if it inhabits violent creatures…” he said, staring at the hounds.
“No creature is truly violent, only defensive. Do you truly love this place?” Artemis was suspicious. Men cut down trees for a fire and killed wildlife for sport. She could not believe that this man loved the forest.
“Yes.” was the reply Artemis heard.
She considered this man. He was tall but thin, with fair hair and blue eyes. He had the smell of one who spent a lot of time in the outdoors. She was tempted to kill him then and there.
He is a man, thought Artemis. He is therefore cruel and must be put to death…
But there was something about him…something that attracted her.
What is this? Artemis asked herself. Is this that infatuation that men feel? Or is this mercy?
He may not have been immediately welcome, but she would accept his word and keep an eye on him.
“Very well. You may live here, but only on one condition.”
“Whatever you wish.” Maximus said gratefully.
“You must never, and I mean never, truly know or marry any woman, regardless of your circumstances.”
“Oh…umm…well, sure. I never got along with women anyway.”
Artemis was pleased. But right after she lowered her bow and called off the hounds, she dared ask a question:
“What is your name?”
“My name? My name is Maximus. Why?”
However, she left without giving a response.
Man, what a hot girl! thought Maximus. Maybe one day…and proceeded to think thoughts that he knew were impossible.
Who am I kidding? he concluded. She’s a goddess, and I’m a mortal. It’ll never happen. Little did he realize, however, the creature approaching behind him…

You may be wondering what was approaching Maximus. However, in order for me to answer that, I must go back a few hours. Zwoooooop!
Zeus sat on his golden throne, wondering where Artemis had gone.
It is not like her to be unfindable in this country, thought Zeus. Even if I hardly see her anymore.
He always worried about her. In his opinion, she was too adventurous, too careless, and way too friendly with the mortals. Whenever she went away, he would wait, sometimes for days, watching the forest she hunted in and silently begging her to come home. But this time…
“HERMES!!!” Thundered the mighty voice of the king. Hermes immediately appeared by Zeus’s side.
“Yes, my lord?”
“Where is my daughter?!? I have looked upon the country she usually hunts in, and she hunts there no more. Where on this planet of mortals could she be?!?”
“I’ll find her, sir!” said Hermes, and off he went.
He returned within the hour.
“My lord…” Hermes began.
“Have you found my daughter Artemis?” asked Zeus.
“Yes…but she has gone to a strange place…”
“No…tell me that she has not gone to the country of the West!”
“I’m afraid she has, sir.”
Zeus was, in human terms, scared %@&#less for his daughter. The country of the West was a place of industry…and weapons.
He had to do something.
“Stay here for further words from me.” commanded Zeus.
“Yes, my lord!” replied Hermes. And in the blink of an eye, he was gone.
Artemis, gone to the country of the West? How could that be? Thought the king of the gods. I cannot believe this…I must speak to her.

With that, Zeus arose from his throne and appeared in that great forest in the form of a beggar.
What he saw surprised him. His own daughter had encountered a mortal. No, more than that, she was speaking to him. Zeus was filled with a mix of rage and fear; anger for the mortal seeing his daughter and fear that she would spare him.
As it happened, spare him she did.
No! This man will tell others and then attempt to capture Artemis! I must kill him…
And he called forth a wolf. When the wolf came, he ordered it to restrain the mortal.
Imagine the shock Maximus experienced when he turned and seconds later was on the earth at the mercy of a ferocious wolf! He almost did not know what to think. Then, he prayed.
Oh great king Zeus, thought he. Spare my life and I will do whatever you want!
Zeus heard this prayer and called off the wolf. Then he appeared in his mighty persona before Maximus.
“What is thy name, son of earth?” asked Zeus.
“M-m-m-my n-name?” Maximus stammered.
“Yes, mortal. Your name.”
“My name is ma…ma…Maximus.”
A noble name, thought Zeus.
“Here is what I want. Listen and obey, Maximus.”
“Yes, Zeus?”
“The woman that you saw earlier— ”
“Artemis? Yeah, I know her. She’s hot, isn’t she?” interrupted Maximus.
“Hot? In your mind I believe that that means pretty. Yes, she is, Maximus. She is my daughter.”
“Your what?!?!?!?”
“You heard me, mortal. Artemis is my daughter. My command to you is that you neither seek her presence nor her heart, for as I have spoken, you are mortal.”
“You mean that I can never see her again?”
“That is correct. What’s more, under no circumstances are you to tell anyone of your encounter with her or even that we immortals exist.”
Maximus actually pondered whether it would be a good idea to tackle Zeus, god or not. He thought Artemis was beautiful, and believed that they at least had some similar likes and dislikes. He would find her, and—
“I know your thoughts, Maximus. But you must understand that a mortal was not meant to marry a deity.” said Zeus.
Maximus was briefly startled and briefly tensed in preparation for a fight, then relaxed in defeat.
“I understand, Zeus…but I am not sure if I even can avoid her.” he replied.
“Then I must strike you down.” said an angry Zeus.
He wouldn’t dare, thought Maximus.
Then he saw the bolt of lightning in Zeus’s hand, which was poised for the throw.
Maybe he would, thought Maximus.
“NOOOOO!” he screamed, not tempting fate. “Please! I’ll stay away from her!”
“Good man. Now, I shall be off.” said a calm Zeus.
As soon as Zeus was gone, Maximus wondered what he would do now. I wanted to live in a forest, and now I do. All I have to do is avoid Artemis…

It seemed so simple. For months after that, he managed to live alone. And yet, after a full year, he still could not get Artemis out of his mind. Thoughts of her had become more tolerable and less hypnotic, but they never left.
His one place of relaxation was deep in the forest. There was a spring there.
The fateful day came when he was heading for this spring, when he saw clothes by a nearby tree. He knew someone had found his pool and was about to flee, but he wanted to know who. He slowly came closer and closer, until he could see the outline of the person bathing.
Months prior, on his travels, Maximus had encountered the spring. It so happened that this spring had a geyser beneath it, so that this spring acted like the best of Jacuzzis. He went there often to bathe, but more so to just relax.
Maximus edged even closer to the spring. He was not going to give up his spring to this stranger. As he got closer, he understood more details.
It was a lean figure with strong muscles, yet not bulging. The figure was distantly familiar. How odd, thought Maximus.
He leapt from his hiding place.
“Out of my pool, stranger!” yelled Maximus.
The figure stood…and Maximus averted his eyes.
The person was a woman. Maximus was embarrassed to yell at a woman, but it was his pool.
“Woman, leave this pool never to return.”
Immediately his leg surged with pain. He looked, and there protruded an arrow. He turned to run but was already surrounded by…hounds? There was only one person he knew who commanded a group of hounds…
“Artemis? Is that you?” he asked. “Oh Artemis, please! Have mercy!”
“Why should I?” she demanded. “You have found me, in the most humble of appearances, and you beg for mercy! How human of you!”
“Please, Artemis, do you remember me?” he asked, looking at her face and trying not to look down.
She hesitated, then she showed signs of recognition.
“Maximus?”
“Yes! You remember! Now please, have mercy and let me live!”
She considered this for a few seconds…and then lowered her bow.
“Very well, Maximus. But only for all that you have done this past year.”
Maximus was confused at this, but it became clear to him later. Because he loved wildlife he stopped hunters from hunting and fishermen from fishing. Because he loved the plants he had nearly killed himself stopping tree-cutters.
But how did Artemis know of these things? As a hunter, she learned the ways of stealth. After hunting along for a time, she had wondered about Maximus and actually spied on his activities once in a while. Seeing all that he had done, she began to respect him.
But this did not change how she felt about men.
“Maximus, you have seen me without clothes.” She said after putting her clothes back on. “I would kill you if it weren’t for your good heart toward life.”
And so Maximus understood her earlier mercy.
“I…um…I met your father.” said Maximus hesitantly.
Artemis started. He met my father? thought she.
Almost a minute passed.
“What did he have to say?” she finally asked.
“He told me…that I must…never…” here Maximus began to stutter.
“Never what?” Artemis demanded.
Maximus, you dolt! thought he. You’re about to disobey a god that had mercy on you!
But he did so anyway.
“He told me never to do evil.”
“That sounds like my father.” Artemis laughed. “Well, I must go now. I made friends with maidens from this area. However, I will see you soon. Probably about the time of the full moon.”
It was all Maximus could do to not dance for joy. The full moon was only a week away, if that.
“Absolutely! But how will I find you?”
“I will find you.” replied Artemis.
Once again, Maximus was filled with joy.
“Alright…I’ll see you then.”
And with a smile, Artemis disappeared into the woods with her hounds.
Maximus could barely contain himself. He turned, but something caught his eye. He picked it up, and knew what it was.
Artemis’s amulet.

Maximus ran, or rather hobbled, in the direction that Artemis had gone. He knew that no matter how fast he hobbled, he could never catch up to a goddess. Especially not with a fresh wound. But he had to try.
After stumbling and falling more than once, he made it to and hid behind the bushes of another clearing where Artemis sat in a circle of girls Maximus’s age. They were talking about something, and Maximus strained to hear…
“So Artemis, you told us of this guy named Maximus. Do you like him?”
Maximus expected her to deny it, but she did not.
“I must admit, he has proven himself at least slightly attractive.”
Attractive? thought Maximus.
“Aha! So you do like him!” said another maiden.
“Not necessarily; I just do not dislike him.” Artemis replied.
“Come on, Artemis! What’s he like?”
Maximus had looked at himself through the still springs many times. In his opinion, there was not much to write home about.
Artemis hesitated…and then spoke.
Maximus was startled to hear her response.
“Maximus is lean, strong, loving of life and protecting of that without defense…hair like the sun and eyes like the deepest waters…he is pure of heart and, I daresay, the only man I could ever want to marry.”
Maximus nearly had a heart attack. Not for what she said, because his reaction to that was even greater. What made him nearly have a heart attack was that suddenly people with medieval armor appeared out of nowhere with machine guns. The biggest of them stepped forward and removed his helmet.
Dang, he’s handsome. thought Maximus. But what does he want?
The next moment, his question was answered.
“We are the Di Vita, and we claim you maidens for our own. You will bear our children, and thus our army shall rise in godly power!”
Artemis stood and in one motion, retrieved her bow and fit an arrow into it, pointing it at this newcomer.
“I care not who you are, but all of you will leave this place and never return or else die!” cried Artemis.
The men all laughed.
“Woman,” spoke the man without a helmet. “Do you not see that we will kill you if you do not comply? What can an arrow do to us, as we have armor and guns?”
“Perhaps you should attend to research, mortal.” replied Artemis.
Cool as a cucumber, the man stared at her, frowned, and appeared to study her bow as well as features. Recognition flared.
Then he screamed at the top of his voice.
“It’s Artemis! She’s a goddess! Get her! GET HER NOW!”
All the men ran forward and, to the detriment of some, were greeted with arrows swiftly shot between armors. The maidens ran, and were not pursued. It was obvious that it was Artemis that they truly wanted.
Maximus wanted so desperately to rush in and help Artemis, but what could he do? She was being beaten by at least 30 men in medieval armor!
Blow after blow was dealt to her. She fought back, but was outnumbered. Finally, she succumbed to the blows and was dragged away. Maximus walked into the clearing when they were gone…and wept.
He cried for so long, he did not notice that a divine being stood before him. When he finally looked up, he saw a figure that was all too familiar.
“Zeus!” cried Maximus.
“Yes, I have come.” replied the mighty god. “I saw everything. And now, you must follow me.”
“If you are to slay me, do so here and now. Incorporate no deception.” said Maximus, bursting into tears again.
“I have intention of neither slaying you nor deceiving you.”
These words confused Maximus.
“What have you come for then?” demanded Maximus.
“I have come to tell you your history.”
“Why, Zeus?”
“For two reasons. The first is because you know what Artemis has said about you.”
Maximus blushed.
“The second reason is because you both have the amulet and bear the mark.”
Maximus was confused again.
“The amulet? And what mark?”
“I will show you, Maximus. Come.”
At first, Maximus was reluctant. However, after consideration, he made the decision to go with Zeus…

After walking with Zeus for only a few steps, Maximus was astounded to find himself at the flat peak of a mountain.
“Where are we?” asked Maximus.
“The peak of Mount Olympus.” Zeus replied.
“In Greece?!?”
“Yes. In my eyes, there is a glorious kingdom here. However, because your eyes are mortal, you cannot see the kingdom.”
“So…why bring me here?”
“Few mortals have ever been here, and they will come here no more. I will tell you the truth now. Are you ready?”
“I guess so.” conceded Maximus.
“Very well, then. Let us begin.
“Countless millennia ago, there was a group of people who had no faith in gods but believed that they were gods. They called themselves the “Gods of Life” or the Di Vita in the old language. They believed themselves unstoppable and fought countless battles.
“The fateful day came when their leader contracted a disease brought on by me for his arrogance. He survived the sickness, however, because he was no man but a demigod. He knew that I made him sick and actually went with his men to climb this mountain. I killed all but the demigod, who swore that he would change his arrogant ways. I had mercy on him, and he left.
“I watched over him, however. He did not change his ways until years later when he met a woman. He loved this woman so dearly that he cast aside everything he had and even professed his lineage as a half-god to her. He wanted to be with her so much that he found a heartstone and—”
“A heartstone? Aren’t those tears of the gods?”
“Yes, Maximus. They have the power to take away the essence of a single individual each. Having found one, he used it on himself and took away his powers and became fully mortal.”
“Then what happened?”
“The woman married him but did not love him. She abandoned him after a few years and took his heartstone because it was beautiful. She fastened it as an amulet, and kept it until her death, when a peasant took it. Since then, it was a family heirloom until a year ago, when Artemis was given it.”
“And now I have it.” said Maximus, looking at it.
It was, undoubtedly, a beautiful stone. A heart-shaped diamond set in a gold plate. It seemed to pulse with a strange power…
“Can the power of the demigod be released?” asked Maximus.
“Only by a descendant of the one whose essence was taken.” was the reply.
“So who is a descendant of that demigod?”
“The demigod had a child by the woman he loved. This babe was born with a birthmark on his heart. It was a shining pentagram-star with a heart symbol in the center. I believe that a descendant of his would have that same mark.”
Maximus was spellbound. He had that exact birthmark. Did that mean…?
“Yes, Maximus. I only realize now that you are that descendant.”
At that, Maximus touched the heart on the amulet and willed the power of the demigod to enter him.
And it did.

It was like a headache was being cleared, or a cold fleeting away. Maximus felt power flow into him, giving him life and energy. He almost immediately knew his powers. He looked behind him…and saw a most amazing sight.
“Wings?!? I can fly?!?”
“More than that, Maximus. You can command fire and heal almost as fast as a god.”
“How do I have these powers?”
“Your ancestor’s father was my messenger and son, Hermes. That is how you have wings. Your ancestor’s mother was a witch. That is how you have the power of fire and more rapid healing.”
“Nice…now, where are the Di Vita and what are they planning?”
“They are in a secret place where they found the most powerful artifact in the history of this world…Hades’s Staff.”
“I didn’t know that Hades had a staff…”
“The Staff has the power to destroy, or control, anything and anyone the wielder wishes.”
“So why doesn’t Hades have it?”
“He was abusing the power it gave.”
“So you took it from him and hid it…why didn’t the Di Vita wield it before, then?”
“Because no mortal can. It has a power that only an immortal being can control…and possibly a demigod.”

Maximus was unperturbed, but then understood.
“You mean…?”
“Yes, Maximus. They mean to force Artemis to bear a child so that the new demigod can, when he or she reaches the right age, wield the Staff to do whatever the Di Vita wish.”
“Why not just make Artemis do it? They have to have some sort of hypnotic machine or something…”
“Gods and goddesses are insusceptible to…er…almost any control force. They can feel pain, but cannot be killed and cannot be controlled against their will.”
“Ok, then…how do I find them?”
“Fly to the East and look for a raven. When you find the raven, follow it..”
“Alright. One last question…why are you helping me?”
“Oh, Maximus,” said Zeus. “You are pure of heart and…worthy of…my daughter.” Zeus seemed to be choking out the words. “Also…that Staff is the only weapon that can control a god.” He continued hurriedly.
“So you’re sending me to retrieve it?” asked Maximus.
“That and to stop the Di Vita. Now go!”
And with that, Maximus was off.
Good luck, Maximus. thought Zeus.
To those who have never flown with wings before, it is a wonderful experience. To feel the power with every beat, to see the world far beneath you, to feel the wind on your face…Maximus was ecstatic.
Wow, I’m a demigod! thought Maximus. I’ll beat the living trash out of those knights and save Artemis! So simple…
It was not a long flight before he saw a raven. Wasting no time, he followed it and came upon a hidden cavern. Deep in the cavern, he found a massive underground palace with knight-like people entering and exiting.
So this is the place, thought Maximus as he entered.
Because Maximus had wings, he could fly to the roof and use it for support. Thankfully, no one looked up. With that, Maximus went further and deeper into the palace until he found a dungeon. The only inhabitant was the one he meant to save.
“Artemis!”
It was clear that she had been tortured. Half naked, she had many bruises and marks that were healing, but not very fast. She looked up…and Maximus gasped.
Her face! thought Maximus. What have they done to her beautiful face?!?
As it happened, Artemis had been beaten and whipped so much that she broke her chains repeatedly to stop them. In return, she was face-whipped. She looked like they might as well have skinned her face.
“Maximus…? Help me…I hurt all over…you must find the key…please help me!” pleaded Artemis.
“No need for keys.” Maximus replied. With that, he conjured fire to melt the door, which the fire did in seconds.
That’s some hot fire, thought Maximus.
“Artemis, I’m here. Have any of them…?”
“Not yet,” she replied, knowing his thoughts. She filled him in on what had been happening as he proceeded to melt her chains.
“They meant to beat me until I could not move, then they would do it. However, I heal quickly, so they hurt me more every 10 minutes…While I was here, they spoke of me bearing a demigod for them to use as a weapon…and spoke of Hades’s Staff. None of them can touch it, but I can. I suspect that they put me in the dungeon farthest from the Staff. We are at the lowest floor, and I think the Staff is on the highest floor.”
“Well then, Artemis,” said Maximus at last. “Eat this.”
Zeus had sneaked a special herb in Maximus’s pocket before he took flight. When Maximus reached land, he found the herb and knew what it was: a healing herb all too rare. It was this that he told Artemis to eat.
“Mmm…thank you, Maximus. Help me up, now.” and he did. She was already healing dramatically faster. In less than a minute, she was good as new.
“Maximus…there is something that I need to tell you.”
Maximus was irritated that she would be so slow. But he asked, “What?” and it happened.
Artemis kissed Maximus.
Maximus was startled at first, but instantly melted. He returned her kiss. When they separated, she wispered, “I love you, Maximus.”
Maximus almost cried. A full year of wishing for this moment had finally come true, and he had no idea what to say or do.
He decided that the best thing to do was to get out of the palace.
“Right, then. Artemis, come. We need to get out after we retrieve the staff.”
“That would prove difficult, young man.” said a voice that did not belong to Artemis. Both turned to the doorway to see many of the Di Vita standing before them, led by that familiar leader.
“I would advise you to leave or die, young man.” he said.
“I will not.” retorted Maximus. “I will fight or die trying.”
“Brave words, but what chance do you have?” the leader asked calmly.
Maximus conjured fireballs in both hands and spread out both multicolored wings. The leader briefly appeared terrified, then regained his cool and asked,
“Who are you?”
“I am Maximus, the Angel of Fire. My ancestor was the son of Hermes, and his mother was a powerful witch. With these powers, I will smite your army of fools!” came the reply.
The leader looked at Maximus as if he found a long-lost treasure.
“Maximus…? Was your mother’s name Marthena?”
Maximus was confused. His mother’s name was Marthena. What was this man getting at?
“Yes, but what business is it of yours?”
The leader stepped forward.
“Maximus, I am your father.”

Maximus was dumbfounded. His fireballs went out.
“My…father? Impossible. My father’s name is Agdom.”
“So she remairied? I didn’t doubt that it would happen…” the leader trailed off.
“How could you be my father?” demanded Maximus.
The leader sighed.
“30 years ago, I met your mother. She was the most beautiful woman I ever met. However, when I came to court her, she said that she did not want a husband. I left with great sadness.
“A few years later, I saw her about to be raped by a group of bandits. After practically dismembering them, I asked her if she was alright. She said she was and that she was sorry for treating me the way that she did. We were married within the month.
“However, peace did not last. She wanted much and I tried to give her all she wanted, but she was of gluttonous nature. Whatever I gave her was not good enough. Finally, she told me that if she did not bear a child, she would leave me.
“She did bear a child, however. You. I named you Maximus, but then she cried out with more pains of childbirth. I was shocked when a twin came! But my joy was short-lived, as it was a miscarriage.”
My twin, thought Maximus. Dead…
“Your mother was so outraged at your twin’s death that she left, claiming that I was the cause of that miscarriage. I was so surprised; I did not notice her take you until it was too late. Not a day has passed in these recent 27 years that I did not cry over you.
“But now that has changed. Join us, my son! We will be more powerful than the gods! Think of it; Maximus and Parsenon, kings of the earth!”
Maximus looked hard at this man. Parsenon…thought Maximus. Even if he is my father, he abused Artemis!
“Parsenon,” said Maximus.
“Yes, my son?”
“I care not if you are my father. You did something inexcusable by treating the love of my life this way. To me, you are nothing more than my long-lost enemy!”
Parsenon was obviously taken by surprise.
“So you love this woman?”
Artemis looked at Maximus. Maximus looked back.
Then he faced his foe.
“Yes, I love her. And I will use my power as a demigod to defend her.”
In the next half-minute, Maximus used his fire to burn the present members of the Di Vita. As obviously shown before, his fire was hot enough to melt metal; just what he needed to win the fight. When the half-minute was over, all that was left of the Di Vita that were in the dungeon was Parsenon.
He stared at Maximus as he raised a ball of fire. He stared for so long that Maximus finally asked,
“Do you have anything to say before you die at the hand of the Angel of Fire?”
Parsenon still stared at Maximus, surprise slowly turning to emotionlessness, then obvious calm.
“Son, if there is one thing you don’t know about me, it’s that I am good at escaping.”
Suddenly a flash encompassed the room with a bright light, and then all was still. When Maximus could see again, Parsenon was gone.
Fool! thought Maximus. I’ll burn him from the inside out! I’ll roast him with my fire on a spit! I’ll—
“Maximus!” yelled Artemis.
Maximus turned around.
“What’s wro—”

Maximus saw it. A passageway was leading from the side of the dungeon deeper underground.
“I thought you said this was the bottom floor?” asked Maximus.
“It appears that I was wrong. Hurry!”
With that, they descended the steps as fast as they could until they reached the bottom. When they did, they faced a shocking sight. For there stood at the farthest corner of the room Hades’s Staff.
It looked like any shepherd’s staff at first, but then you noticed that seemed to pulse with a black force. It looked more like a scepter.
“That must be the Staff!” cried Artemis. “Quickly, grab it and destroy the Di Vita!”
Maximus rushed forward. The closer he got to the Staff, however, the more repulsed he felt. He almost did not want to grab it. But grab it he did.
At first, nothing happened. Then Maximus felt like power was flowing into him—and consuming him. He felt like too much energy was flowing into him too fast. It felt like filling a balloon only to burst it.
He fell unconscious.
The next thing he saw was a rather handsome figure in black robes in a dark place.
“Where…where am I?” Maximus asked this person.
“You are in the Underworld, and I am Hades.”
Apparently, this was not a person.
“So…why am I here?” asked Maximus.
“You are here because you gripped my Staff.” replied Hades. “It should have killed you because you are mortal, but it appears that you have immortal blood in your veins. For that reason I have brought you here to speak with you.”
Now Maximus understood.
“So…what do you want to speak with me about?”
“I wanted to tell you a little more that you don’t know about the Di Vita’s leader, Parsenon. He is much like Achilles from the ancient days in combat skill and inability to be harmed.”
“You mean I can’t beat him?”
“Oh, you can “beat” him. However, you will require more than fire and wings.”
“Then what will I need?”
“Have you not figured it out yet, Maximus?”
Maximus pondered this for a minute, then…
“You don’t mean that I actually have to use the Staff, do you?”
“Yes, you will. However, I believe that a payment would be in order.”
“You’re a god, so you don’t want money. Because you are the Lord of the Dead, I assume that you want my soul in return.”
Hades laughed.
“And the archer misses the target!” he laughed some more. “No, my boy, no. I do not want your soul. However, I do want to ask for a favor.”
“What favor would that be?” asked Maximus cautiously.
“Only that you go tell the goddess Demeter that my wife, Persephone, will be joining her for dinner soon.”
“That’s it?” Maximus could not believe that Hades wanted something so simple.
“Yes, Maximus. That is all I want.”
Maximus considered Hades for a moment. Was this a trick? Or was this, in all honesty, the most simple of requests in return for something so great?
Maximus chose to trust him.
“Alright. I will deliver the message.”
“Very good. Now I will return your soul to the Upperworld, but know that you will be surrounded with the Staff in your hand.”
Suddenly, Maximus’s vision dissolved. What little he could see disappeared, and was instantly replaced with the cavern he was in. As Hades foretold, Maximus was surrounded but had the Staff in his hand. But it was not this that startled him.
What startled Maximus was that Artemis was being held with a strange knife at her throat. The man holding the knife stared with obvious hatred at Maximus.
It was Parsenon.

Parsenon was staring with enough hatred to put a wart on a gravestone. He pressed the knife harder into Artemis’s neck.
“You can’t kill her. She’s immortal.” stated Maximus without fear. He was right—or so he thought.
“Do you not know what this knife is?” Parsenon asked, a sneer on his face. “This knife was crafted by a powerful witch. This is the only weapon that can slay an immortal being.”
At first Maximus wanted to call his bluff, but after seeing the look of terror on Artemis’s face, he thought better.
“So what do you want?” demanded Maximus.
“I want what is in your hand.” said Parsenon, staring at the Staff. “But be sure that it does not touch me.”
Maximus looked around. He was in the center of a complete circle of Di Vita soldiers. He knew that the Staff could kill them all in but a second, but would that be enough time for Parsenon to drag that knife over Aremis’s throat?
Then he had an idea.
“It can touch you and you’ll still live.”
Parsenon looked like he was about to make a smart remark, but then grew curious.
“How could I do that if I am mortal?” he asked.
“I am only a descendant of the demigod. I believe that you are closer in line to that ancestor than I am because you game me your Greek lineage. I know that you can hold this and live if I can. Just spare Artemis’s life!”
Parsenon considered this. If I get the staff, I can kill the both of them and then rule this world and the world above…thought Parsenon. So consumed was he with thoughts of power that he reached out his free hand.
“Give me the Staff or she dies.” Parsenon demanded.
Maximus handed out the staff…and Parsenon grabbed it.
If you have ever tried an experiment where you stuff something to the point where it explodes, you would have a good idea of what happened next.
As soon as Parsenon grabbed the Staff, he cried out in pain, as Maximus did. Only this time, cries of pain turned into screams of torture. His body began to expand and bits of his skin bubbled and burst with power. Finally, the whole of Parsenon exploded, and what shreds of skin and pools of blood were left turned to dust.
Parsenon had met his ultimate downfall.

I will cover the next hour as quickly as possible. When Parsenon was destroyed, the Staff rolled on the floor, turning everyone it touched into dust. However, most of them got away. Artemis and Maximus chased them all down and wiped them out. Then the Di Vita was no more.
Now, on to what happened afterward. Not many days after Artemis’s rescue, both Maximus and Artemis appeared before Zeus to request his blessing for their marriage. Zeus granted it. Secretly, Maximus returned the Staff to Zeus, who placed it in the deepest treasury of his kingdom.
Maximus was also faithful to his promise to Hades and delivered his message to Demeter. She was overjoyed at the news and even invited Maximus and Artemis to the party. They kindly declined.
Maximus and Artemis, after their marriage, lived life almost exactly as before. The similarity was they both lived in the forest that they met in, as well as hunted there. The difference was, barely two months into the “good life” as Maximus called it, Artemis told him the news.
She was pregnant.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 3 comments.


on Mar. 5 2015 at 2:49 pm
Really enjoying this read, the style is very alive and descriptive, definitely got a chuckle out of me.

kscott22 said...
on Feb. 28 2015 at 12:29 am
This is a good one. I enjoyed it.

Olympian said...
on Feb. 20 2015 at 2:29 pm
Olympian, Modesto, California
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
You only have the present moment; take advantage of it.

This book is a good one. I may have author's bias, but I love fantasy/fiction and think that those with similar interests would love it too.