Tales of Greenvillage | Teen Ink

Tales of Greenvillage

December 19, 2014
By gracemb44, Wellesley, Massachusetts
More by this author
gracemb44, Wellesley, Massachusetts
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Beep! Beep! Beep! Rang Bianca’s alarm clock. She rolled over and looked at the ceiling. Her old life was over and now she must get ready for the new. She opened up a window and took one last look into her favorite place. She, Emily, and Raine, her two best friends had spent countless hours there in the treehouse, planning Greenvillage, or on the hammock just playing around.
      She grabbed a duffle bag from her closet and began to put the items she had sorted out the night before into the bag. Her favorite pillow, a fuzzy blanket, a few items of clothing, and her journal and camera. She slung the bag over her shoulder, taking one last look at her childhood room.
    She sprang into the kitchen where she saw her parents waiting for her to come down. She knew they were proud of what she had accomplished in the past few months. Finishing school so she would not have to attend Greenvillage school, giving up lacrosse and saxaphone so she could spend all her free time studying and planning Greenvillage.
“ We are so happy for you all.” Said her mother with a brush of her hand next to her eyes.
“ Don’t worry, we will all be fine, remember I can come and visit you on the weekends and you can come see the village.” Replied Bianca.
With one last hug to both of them, she raced out the door, hopped on her bike and rode down to the Wellesley Farms Pond where she met Emily and Raine.
  She was the first one to arrive, so she hit the breaks and sat down on a rock to wait. Two minutes later she saw them flying up and down on their bikes.
“Ready to go?” yelled Emily.
“As ready as I’ll ever be!” she hopped on her bike with whoops and screams from her friends around her.

They pulled up to the chaotic scene of children and busses crowding the entrance. As they made their way to the front, Bianca grabbed her two friends Natalia and Claire. Emily grabbed her friends Lilly and Kleo, and Raine grabbed Megan and Katie. Since they were the the founders, they were allowed to bring two friends each and be the first let into Greenvillage.
     “What time is it?” Bianca asked Claire whom always had a watch on.
“ It’s 8:57.” Three minutes remained until they were free.
      Three, two, one….! A loud cheer erupted from the crowd behind them as the first nine scampered into the forest. Greenvillage is composed of twelve roads, each lined with houses, stores, and businesses. Bianca ran down the roads looking for the one she wanted most after spending years here building and planning. 37 Warlock road. The tree was large and had a wide open space in the middle, perfect to build a house on. She escorted Natalia to Blue street and Claire to Appletree circle, which were on the way to her tree on Warlock road. She heard other childrens voices behind her. She picked up the pace and ran down the road and came to her new home.
    The warm dark brown bark was inviting with the little baby leaves growing at the branches tips. Wasting no time, she got straight to work. She put her bag down. Around the back, there was a pile of wood and moss to create her house. The house was going to be one floor, squared on top of the opening in the tree. She built the frame, stuffing moss and leaves into the corners to keep out the cold, and kept going, all the way up until she finished the roof. She glanced at the sun to see if she could guess the time, 10:30 it looked like, she still had hours to complete. Bianca was in the zone, she blew through the inside and started on a little porch with the leftover wood. She finished the house, in and out.
    She wiped the sweat and dirt from her forehead with her hand. She took a long deep breath and looked over the inside. In the top left corner was her moss bed, with the leaf pillows and blanket. Also with the items she brought from home, scattered all over the covers. The bottom left corner was a little desk and dresser, in the middle of town they had gotten donations of wooden furniture from people all over the state which is where she got many of her pieces. The top right corner there was a little cookstove and a wooden table for her kitchen and the bottom right was a few moss chairs and a little table. This was it, finally the house she had been dreaming about since the beginning.

The sun was starting to set, a warm summer breeze blew through the air. All around she heard the shouts and laughter of happy people. She climbed down from her tree and walked up along Warlock road. Shops and more houses were being built. She waved to Lilly who was living just two trees down from her and kept walking. She turned onto Blue street and saw that her friend Anna had created the clothing store.
“Hey Bianca!”
“Hey Anna, this place is great!”
“Thanks! Call me if you need any help finding anything.”
Bianca glanced at the rows of flower dresses and tops, and the leaf pants and skirts. There was going to be no trouble at all. She left the store with a package of a daisy dress, a rose top. and a leaf skirt and coat. Walking into to Greenvillage square she waved at Sarah and Emily training the squirrel guards and ducked into her new office, The Greenvillage Times.
      Back at school, she was a photography and journalism freak. Here she could have them both working as a photojournalist for the newspaper. She chatted with Lauren, the main photographer for the newspaper a bit before heading out.
“Couldn’t wait, right?” said Lauren with a smile on her face
Bianca shook her head laughing, “You know me too well.”
    She headed out into the night air. A ways away an owl went hoo hoo and it’s playmate echoed back hoo hoo. At that moment she knew she was never leaving. As she drifted off to sleep that night, she couldn’t wait to see what the story of tomorrow would be.
     The next morning she jumped out of bed, made some breakfast, and practically jumped out of her tree and ran to work. Stick scooters and bicycles were bringing everyone to work. On her way she passed Raine at the Public Gardens and Emily and Sarah training the squirrel guards. Everyone was happy. She passed the young ones going into the school, everything was perfect. Until everything went wrong.

She reached the square filled with people laughing, talking, and entering and exiting buildings. She reached the door of the newspaper office when the first shot was fired. Screams filled the air, everyone was was running into the buildings for cover, a second shot fired and more screams filled the air. Suddenly it was silent.
     Emily and Sarah sprinted in with all the squirrel guards behind them in the direction of the shot. Bianca ran out of the building and called for a town meeting.
“Ten minutes meet at the town hall!”
    Ten minutes later every seat in the hall was filled. The walls were lined with kids who whispered in fear of what was going to happen next.
  “Attention! First off from this horrible day, no one was shot.” said Raine loud and clear.
“ We have not heard word of the guards progress, but we have gathered the ones of have stayed behind to heavily block all boarders and entrances to the village.” Bianca added.
    Bianca could not believe what she had to say next. A secret that only was held within the three of them.
  “There is something you do not know. Many of you have come up to us asking for help from the outside world. However, part of the deal of Greenvillage was… we would receive no help from the outside world when something went wrong.  It would be proven as our independence. Now we are alone.”
  Alone.
The word echoed. Bianca could barely look at their blank faces throughout the crowd.
Raine broke the silence.
“You are allowed to go back to work, but you can go home or stay with friends. Just do not be too active around the village. Thank you for your time, this meeting is dismissed.”
    People began to file out into the village. No one talked, not one word. The silence was unbearable. As the last couple people excited, Bianca saw Pippi the messenger gnome trotting into the scene with a letter in his hat.
“Hello Ms. Bianca” said Pippi in his squeaky voice, panting.
“ I have a letter for you from Sarah and Emily.”
“Did you see them?” questioned Raine excitedly.
“Well…. yes, they told me to tell you that they are fine and that they found the gun in the woods. The rest of the details are in the letter.” replied Pippi.
“Thank you Pippi, you may leave now.”
“No problemo! See you later!”
  The letter sat in her hands, both of them afraid to open it.

Dear Bianca and Raine,
       We found the gun in the woods, as you know from Pippi. Emily and I are fine, the squirrels have gone ahead of us and we are now searching the area as they run ahead. I have some bad news, the outside world has found out about this incident, if we do not catch the shooter within fifteen days, Greenvillage is over. Emily told me that she knew someone who could help, the trolls. If you make a deal with Ginky, the wisest troll, we may be on our way to catching the shooter. Anyway, Emily has ran ahead so I must go now.
        From, Sarah
 
They sat in silence. All they could do was look at each other with blank faces.  This could be the end, even though it has not even been the beginning.
“Well we should go talk to the trolls like Emily said” Said Raine quietly.
“I can’t believe she said that! The Trolls were against Greenvillage from the beginning.” Suddenly, her face went grey.
“I think I know what is going on here.” Said Bianca in a shaky voice.
   She jumped up and ran to the training station where she saw Joan, one of the other animal trainers.
“What was Emily doing when you heard the gunfire?” Said Bianca in a panicky voice.
“She was out back talking to a troll that came to talk to her. It seemed important. When she came back, she was quiet and angry with anyone who came near her.” Said Joan
“Why?”
“I’ll get back to you on that, but as soon as I know, I’ll come to you immediately.”
     “What is going on? Why are you freaking out?” Asked Raine.
“I think I know who the shooter is, but Sarah is in danger”
“ No I can’t believe you would think that way!” Said Raine in an angry tone.
“Just come with me. Joan! Come here, there is something you should know….”
      They entered the Troll village and ran all the way to Ginky’s house. Bianca explained to Joan and Raine along the way of what her thoughts were. They came to his house and slowly knocked on the door. The door opened and a stout little troll came fourth.
“Ah Bianca Lebrings and Raine Smith. I’ve been waiting for you” He said with an evil smile on his face.
   They entered his little kitchen, Bianca’s eyes boring into Ginky.
“You drugged her.” Said Bianca in an auto tune voice.
“ You drugged her and tricked her into hiring one of her friends from the outside world, whom chose not to join the village to come with a gun. I hate you.”
“Bianca” Said Joan softly.
“NO, WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER.”
Ginky chuckled “You are much smarter than what I gave you credit for. Yes, I did trick her. It was the only way to get you demons out of our forest.”
Bianca’s eyes raged with anger. The steps of Ginky’s plan running through her head. So many of Emily’s strange actions were now explained.
“Why did you drug her again right before the shooting?” Said Raine quietly in the corner. Her eyes were filled with fear, she had never seen Bianca like this before.
“Ha you too are smarter than what I gave you credit for. Two days before the opening of Greenvillage, I approached her in the form of a bee, stung her, which injected her with the drugs that made her under the control of me. The day her friend was supposed to arrive, I was loosing her, the drugs were wearing off! I approached her again, but this time I gave her a cookie, that was made up of the drugs.” Finished Ginky with an horrid grin of his face.
  Joan lashed out. Jumping on him with one swift move across the room.“Quick! Search his house for the controls so nothing more will happen to Emily and Sarah!”
“I’m afraid its too late for that.” Was the last thing he said before Joan knocked him unconscious.

They tore apart the house looking for the controls. Chairs, tables, and beds were flipped over with no luck. Raine noticed some peculiar. The one rug that was in the entire house was at the entrance. She flipped open the rug, revealing a door that led into a secret room down below.
“Bianca! Joan! I found a hidden door!” yelled Raine.
They sprinted over, kicked the handle, which revealed a staircase. The room was musty and dark, the walls lined with spiderwebs and other devious plans Ginky had come up with to destroy Greenvillage.
“Wow he was planning to create a lake monster that would devour everybody who came into the lake.” said Raine.
“ Look at this one, holy crap he planned to create a gun that would fire Lymes disease into the village! This troll was no joke trying to destroy us. It’s not like we invaded any of their lands.” asked Joan.
“I found the controls! Hey look there is a camera and microphone that controls what Emily says and does.”
Raine tried to speak into the microphone and move the controls.
“Hey it’s not working!”
“Uh guys…” said Joan pointing at the other computer screen.
Emily had been programmed to kill Sarah.
    “How are we going to stop her!” Said Joan, panicking.
“We have to destroy the computer, maybe that will shut down the program.” Said Bianca.
“Lets do it!” Screamed Raine with rage. No one knew how they were ever going to trust Emily again after this situation. Raine threw the computer off the table, all of them started kicking and smashing it into bits and pieces.
“It seems that we have destroyed the system. We need to figure out if there is a way to shut down the controls.” Observed Raine
They approached the camera with wide eyes. Emily was stalking forward, towards Sarah with a knife in her hand.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.